Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on UKIP’s search for a new logo

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,332
    edited September 2013
    FPT

david_kendrick1 said:

I think that UKIP starting with a clean slate for MEPs each time is a good thing. It is important to avoid the sinecure element of being an MEP. A turnover of 30-40% each time keeps them hungry, and the job fresh. A weakness of the list system of PR is that if you don't aim for a churn, second, and especially third term MEPs start coasting.

That is a really good effort David. Impressive, especially given the way they have treated you.
    This party is becoming a bit of a joke I am afraid. Sorry.
  • Options

It is a real shame Bloom was daft enough to make the 'sluts' comment. It really was a stupid thing to say whither he meant it or not.

If all he had done today was whack Crick with a manifesto and rightly put him in his place I think this evening could be have been very different both for him and for UKIP. Certainly I think the reaction of most people would have been similar to that on here which from almost every corner was one of enjoying a pompous journalist put in his place.

Unfortunately what is done is done and Bloom has shot himself and his party in the foot once too often.

Still wish Nuttall or Congdon were leader though.

I watched Prof Congdon's speech earlier. He was covering some important stuff, but he's not got much in way of presentation skills. Mr Farage is a much better front man in my opinion.

http://youtu.be/Cuv5OlPTtk4
    I wasn't thinking that in an ideal world UKIP should dump Farage completely. He has (usually) a superb way of dealing with the press and political opponents. But I don't think his presence as leader is a good thing. Far better he if he would have not stood again at the last leadership election and had developed a Boris type role whilst allowing rather more level heads to take up the reigns of running the party. As it is he so dominates that when he does slip up (as everyone does once in a while) it is as if the whole party has come a cropper with him.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    edited September 2013

isam said:

My biased opinion

People who were inclined to vote for UKIP wont be bothered at all by today.

It may encourage some people who aren't usually interested in politics to vote for them.

Those who vote for the big three parties will be telling each other how bad it is for UKIP and congratulating each other on how prescient they were in forecasting its demise, but this only reinforces how out of touch they are with the man on the street.

I would have thought most working class people would see todays footage and think Bloom was a character and Crick was a prat.

The issue is more the UKIP reaction rather than the problems. It's always been on the cards that UKIP would get more of a grilling as their vote share grew and it's been pretty clear that UKIP have quite a few skeletons in the wardrobe.

If they tough it out and get better oirganised they can come back but Farage was looking a bit headless chicken, and he has only himself to blame as he sets the tone when he does his cheeky chappy routine and looks surprised when other try to out Farage him. For UKIP it;s time to grow up or head back to the nursery.
    I agree AB. The big story today was not Bloom doing his usual idiocies - and in fact potentially doing some good with the imaginative way he reacted to Crick - but the reaction of Farage. As I said earlier he was probably right to dump Bloom after the 'sluts' comment but there was no need to make such a public spectacle of it and do it so badly.

Surprisingly poor judgement from someone who is normally so good at the public side of the job.
    It's part of the problem of only having one front man he gets stretched, tired and pressurised.
    From the bits I saw of Nutall I was quietly impressed as he seemed human, he should be given more of the load.

I doubt this is the killer blow the press claim since it's Friday, the weekend's here and soon enough there will be another EU eruption. But it does show up the UKIP weaknesses and as I noted earlier I wouldn't be confident they could carry a referendum on the current party set up.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The people most offended by UKIP today will be those who would never have voted for them anyway.

Yes. People who were looking for an excuse to be offended by UKIP.

A story becomes a scandal if the public want it to be a scandal. If the public don't want it to be a scandal, it won't be, whatever the talking heads say.

For UKIP supporters, I think negative UKIP coverage is just noise.
  • Options

With the whip suspended from Godfrey Bloom, UKIP have now lost 38% of the MEPs they had elected in 2009. (That would be like the Conservatives having lost 118 MPs!) UKIP came second in the 2009 elections. They are now fourth in MEP numbers, 3 seats behind the LibDems.

To lose one MEP may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose five looks like carelessness.

Not agreed. 40% churn for MEPs seems about right. It is the sort of job where you'll do most of what you're ever going in your first term. Some will still be working in their second term. but the third term is for unhealthy free-wheeling, except the few who get proper jobs out there. (Are any 'proper jobs'?)
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

FPT: Mr Miliband has now said the change would be paid for by scrapping a tax break for hedge funds and the Treasury's new shares-for-rights scheme

Hang-on - I thought the Labour line was that the Treasury's shares-for-rights scheme was a complete damp squib and take-up would be risible - so how can there be any savings from scrapping it?

Nobody's doing it for enterprise reasons. It's a handy tax loophole for those who can manipulate these things though.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805

Carola said:

*scrubs behind fridge*

Missed a bit.
    Tbh if I was going to venture behind my fridge I'd probably need a machete and a flamethrower.
  • Options

With the whip suspended from Godfrey Bloom, UKIP have now lost 38% of the MEPs they had elected in 2009. (That would be like the Conservatives having lost 118 MPs!) UKIP came second in the 2009 elections. They are now fourth in MEP numbers, 3 seats behind the LibDems.

To lose one MEP may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose five looks like carelessness.

Not agreed. 40% churn for MEPs seems about right. It is the sort of job where you'll do most of what you're ever going in your first term. Some will still be working in their second term. but the third term is for unhealthy free-wheeling, except the few who get proper jobs out there. (Are any 'proper jobs'?)
    Er they don't appear to do anything David. A few jibes at Barroso and van Rompuy, but they don't vote, they don't influence and they don't change legislation our way. Drunken arguments in Strassburg restaurants seems to be their lot.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    We're all still waiting for Tim's reactions to the Macbride revelations and Dame tess's assertion that Miliband knew all about it. It's a real puzzle his silence on such a big political story affecting his chums.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,690

Well, the BNP has managed to lose 50% of its MEPs so far, but that hardly seems like a target to aim for. Most parties don't show anything near this churn. No Labour, LibDem, SNP, PC or Green MEP has defected. One Conservative has.

Vote UKIP, get... well, you just don't know, do you? May end up a Tory, or an independent, or anything.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

CH4 now showing the UKIP Youth. It's not getting better

I liked the comment from one young filly about there being more KFCs in some towns than grammar schools which 'can't be right'.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Who do you think would make a better leader?

It is a real shame Bloom was daft enough to make the 'sluts' comment. It really was a stupid thing to say whither he meant it or not.

If all he had done today was whack Crick with a manifesto and rightly put him in his place I think this evening could be have been very different both for him and for UKIP. Certainly I think the reaction of most people would have been similar to that on here which from almost every corner was one of enjoying a pompous journalist put in his place.

Unfortunately what is done is done and Bloom has shot himself and his party in the foot once too often.

I watched Prof Congdon's speech earlier. He was covering some important stuff, but he's not got much in way of presentation skills. Mr Farage is a much better front man in my opinion.

I wasn't thinking that in an ideal world UKIP should dump Farage completely. He has (usually) a superb way of dealing with the press and political opponents. But I don't think his presence as leader is a good thing. Far better he if he would have not stood again at the last leadership election and had developed a Boris type role whilst allowing rather more level heads to take up the reigns of running the party. As it is he so dominates that when he does slip up (as everyone does once in a while) it is as if the whole party has come a cropper with him.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    edited September 2013
    @AndyJS They would say that wouldn't they. Great spot. Pure unadultered bullshit from the UK's favourite public service broadcasters, as for Bloom he is a bloody fool, almost in the same class as the media who get worked up about slutgate.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Carola said:

I liked the comment from one young filly about there being more KFCs in some towns than grammar schools which 'can't be right'.

Clearly a finger on the pulse of the youth of today, if today was 60 years ago
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

Nuttall is the coming man...

• Options

As I said earlier, at the last leadership election I voted for Tim Congdon who has made such an excellent economic case for the UK leaving the EU. Like some others I have also been impressed with Paul Nuttall but would need to see more of him to make up my mind for sure.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Sky: Bloom unrepentant, threatening physical violence to "any journalist who treats me badly"...
  • Options

Well, the BNP has managed to lose 50% of its MEPs so far, but that hardly seems like a target to aim for. Most parties don't show anything near this churn. No Labour, LibDem, SNP, PC or Green MEP has defected. One Conservative has.

Vote UKIP, get... well, you just don't know, do you? May end up a Tory, or an independent, or anything.
    Two Conservatives actually. Edward McMillan Scott to the Lib Dems and Roger Helmer to UKIP
  • Options
    Dimbleby just said Bloom meant to be on AQ next week. But now uncertain.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    And so to bed with Tim's long silence unbroken but no worries Macbride will stilll be there in the morning.
  • Options
    tim said:

Andy_JS said:

To some voters what's going on with UKIP will look like older men being constantly picked on by political correct types.

They need to get these sad old f*ckwits off TV and stick Nuttall and Diane James on.
    Getting worried Tim? Now if the Lib Dems can just get some voters back. That may be a harder ask of course.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Scott_P said:

@RicHolden

.@Ed_Miliband your first 2015 manifesto pledge is literally more borrowing, to pay for more welfare. Labour are the #WelfareParty

Labour, the party of the shirking class.
    Catchy, I like it.

Also the party of the rabid attack dog and smearer too.

whats not to like?
  • Options
    @robD Cross between The Scream and Bacon's Screaming Pope. Is that some form of Alien lifeform?
  • Options
    Floater said:

Catchy, I like it.

whats not to like?

How long before an enterprising journalist works out how many spare bedrooms Labours' millionaire front bench have between them?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Floater said:

Catchy, I like it.

whats not to like?
    How long before an enterprising journalist works out how many spare bedrooms Labours' millionaire front bench have between them?

maybe they should ask Frank Dobson.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Think marf maybe missed a possible new symbol for UKIP:
    http://zmainvestments.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/tombstone.jpg

It is of course inevitable that these things will not have nearly as big an effect on peoples' voting intentions as we tend to assume on here but have the odds on a tory yougov lead before the end of the year just changed?

Edit and maybe the tories being the largest party after the Euros as well.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It is of course inevitable that these things will not have nearly as big an effect on peoples' voting intentions as we tend to assume on here but have the odds on a tory yougov lead before the end of the year just changed?

Well if it doesn't lead to a swingback it will at least stop any more vote switching.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Well if it doesn't lead to a swingback it will at least stop any more vote switching.
    UKIP are sitting about 11 with Yougov. A couple of percent going back to the tories, even temporarily, just might be enough at the moment.

Of course when Ed's abolition of the bedroom tax gets its proper attention all that will change.

• Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,690

Two Conservatives actually. Edward McMillan Scott to the Lib Dems and Roger Helmer to UKIP

Mea culpa. Indeed, two Conservatives (and the UUP MEP left with the dissolution of the UCUNF pact if you want to count that as well).
  • Options
    Blimey, even Prescott is having a go: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24175842

John Prescott criticising Ed for not having any ideas. I mean, ouch. For a middle class intellectual can things get much worse?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

UKIP are sitting about 11 with Yougov. A couple of percent going back to the tories, even temporarily, just might be enough at the moment.

Of course when Ed's abolition of the bedroom tax gets its proper attention all that will change.

I doubt it. The Cons need to be 6 ish points ahead. The main issue is the one NPXMP refers to of the Labour vote sitting above 35%. Until that drops you're still looking at a Labour govt or largest party. Cameron's problem remains he has to get more votes and he has no attractive platform for voters outside his southern heartlands.

• Options

Canterbury Seasalter

UKIP 644
    Con 522
    Lab 307
    Lib Dem 147
    Green 54

UKIP gain from Con

Pretty stunning UKIP victory there in Kent, considering that they did not even have a candidate at the last election in 2011.
    The last election in the ward was a by election in May this year when UKIP came a very close second with slightly more votes than they got yesterday .
    Mark's ability to find a silver-lined sandal within each and every Lib Dem booting never ceases to amaze me.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,747
    RobD said:
    Choosing photos like that says more about the picture editor that it does about Farge.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Blimey, even Prescott is having a go: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24175842

John Prescott criticising Ed for not having any ideas. I mean, ouch. For a middle class intellectual can things get much worse?

ROFL when the intellectual powerhouse which is Prescott says you're clueless there isn't much lower to go, where's Andy Burnham ?
  • Options

If notorious dafty Gogsie Broon is the greatest man that Mr McBride has ever met then he really needs to get out a bit more.

McBride confesses that he was ‘sucked in like a concubine at a Roman orgy’ to the ‘dark’ world of politics, which he says encourages ‘vanity, duplicity, greed, hypocrisy and cruelty’.

And don’t forget, the impartial civil servant was handpicked by Gordon Brown for his ‘abilities’. I’m sure the adoration was mutual, they were the worst kind of kindred spirits.
    Sucked in like a concubine at a Gordon Brown orgy? Fetch the sick bucket.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I doubt it. The Cons need to be 6 ish points ahead. The main issue is the one NPXMP refers to of the Labour vote sitting above 35%. Until that drops you're still looking at a Labour govt or largest party. Cameron's problem remains he has to get more votes and he has no attractive platform for voters outside his southern heartlands.

Sorry, I meant for the yougov lead bet. I agree that the tories have got a long way to go yet even to be the largest party. The Lib Dem conference and micro bounce was unhelpful in that regard.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    The furore over Spare Room Subsidy/Bedroom Tax is a microcosm of all that is wrong with politics and political reporting.

It is a policy that will help a lot of families and one that will financially penalise some families. It is not some great evil, or some plot by Tories to hurt the poor. It is a imperfect policy designed with good intention to fix an imperfect situation.

Labour know this. Conservatives know this. Lib Dems know this. Journalists know this.

Yet it's another classic case of the implications of the policy being lost in the polarising hoohah of politics. Tories evil, hurting the poor. Labour party of shirkers, loving benefits. Blah blah blah.

Amidst it all are families with disabled people in them, really struggling. And the irony is that every MP in parliament wants to help those people.

Not that you'd ever believe it if you follow politics.

ps - Ed Miliband will regret agreeing to restore the benefits. The Tories were being bashed by talk of 'bedroom taxes', without the policy being known by the public. Ed Miliband has now invited a backlash. He would've been better served letting the Tories be bashed with it till the election.
  • Options
    Posters on Guido and the Spectator seem to think the Bloom business is part of a dastardly plot to smear Ukip.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:
    The media really are obsessed with publishing photos of Farage looking like a braying horse, aren't they. If they're trying to discredit him in this way I think it's probably not going to have any effect.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Well if it doesn't lead to a swingback it will at least stop any more voteswitching.

Sorry, I meant for the yougov lead bet. I agree that the tories have got a long way to go yet even to be the largest party. The Lib Dem conference and micro bounce was unhelpful in that regard.
    Ah I see where you're coming from. Well in that case it's been a good week for Cameron. If the LDs pull a few points back off labour post Conference and McBride and the Cons pull a couple of points back from UKIP when the dust settles Lab\Con will be at parity consistently.
  • Options
    Is crisis really the headline Ed was looking for?

@SkyNews: INDEPENDENT FRONT PAGE: "Bedroom tax crisis: Labour commits to abolition" #skypapers http://t.co/1mKsB1VJ75
  • Options
    New poll from Emnid:

CDU/CSU: 39%
    SPD: 26%
    Green: 9%
    Linke: 9%
    FDP: 6%
    AfD: 4%
    Others: 7%

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/index.htm
  • Options

Posters on Guido and the Spectator seem to think the Bloom business is part of a dastardly plot to smear Ukip.

Look at that! A perfectly square bit of black dirt on the window!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/unfortunate-bbc-moustache-for-nigel-farage-8829452.html
  • Options
    In the Scottish town in which I was born there are hardly any 1 bedroom flats. In a place where the cost of land is the square root of bugger all, it has been the policy for years to build 2/3 bedroom properties so that people did not have to move if they got married or their families grew in size.
    Fenster said:

The furore over Spare Room Subsidy/Bedroom Tax is a microcosm of all that is wrong with politics and political reporting.

It is a policy that will help a lot of families and one that will financially penalise some families. It is not some great evil, or some plot by Tories to hurt the poor. It is a imperfect policy designed with good intention to fix an imperfect situation.

Labour know this. Conservatives know this. Lib Dems know this. Journalists know this.

Yet it's another classic case of the implications of the policy being lost in the polarising hoohah of politics. Tories evil, hurting the poor. Labour party of shirkers, loving benefits. Blah blah blah.

Amidst it all are families with disabled people in them, really struggling. And the irony is that every MP in parliament wants to help those people.

ps - Ed Miliband will regret agreeing to restore the benefits. The Tories were being bashed by talk of 'bedroom taxes', without the policy being known by the public. Ed Miliband has now invited a backlash. He would've been better served letting the Tories be bashed with it till the election.

• Options
    Yes.
    Scott_P said:

@SkyNews: INDEPENDENT FRONT PAGE: "Bedroom tax crisis: Labour commits to abolition" #skypapers http://t.co/1mKsB1VJ75

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Latest German poll averages:

CDU/CSU: 39.50%
    SPD: 26.71%
    Green: 9.43%
    Left: 8.79%
    FDP: 5.43%
    AfD: 3.86%
    Others: 6.29%

CDU/CSU + FDP: 44.93%
    SPD + Green + Left: 44.93%

AfD are averaging 4.3% with the 5 polls conducted during the last week.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    A simple solution to both "spare room subsidy" and housing shortage would be to allow tennants to let their spare bedroom, provided that they stayed in residence themselves.

No one needs to move, rooms used productively, someone else no longer homeless. Sorted. Next!

In the Scottish town in which I was born there are hardly any 1 bedroom flats. In a place where the cost of land is the square root of bugger all, it has been the policy for years to build 2/3 bedroom properties so that people did not have to move if they got married or their families grew in size.

Fenster said:

• Options

Yes.

Scott_P said:

I understand this, I understand that people who were born into humble beginnings and worked hard, like their parents told them to do were wrong, and 'queer', as labelled by people at school. I understand that people like us should give up everything to help those less fortunate, and do with less (since we spend all the time at work, there's no need for luxuries like TVs in every room, and time to spend on games).

How do I explain this to the children?
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    So how long before Bloom gets invited on Question time (the producers will be praying he'll chuck water on Dimbleby or something).
  • Options
    Huh?

Yes.

Scott_P said:

I understand this, I understand that people who were born into humble beginnings and worked hard, like their parents told them to do were wrong, and 'queer', as labelled by people at school. I understand that people like us should give up everything to help those less fortunate, and do with less (since we spend all the time at work, there's no need for luxuries like TVs in every room, and time to spend on games).

• Options
    So, you have kids and you let a stranger into your house. What could possibly go wrong?

A simple solution to both "spare room subsidy" and housing shortage would be to allow tennants to let their spare bedroom, provided that they stayed in residence themselves.

No one needs to move, rooms used productively, someone else no longer homeless. Sorted. Next!

Fenster said:

• Options
    If you have kids you have occupants for the rooms and do not need to sublet.

Are you suggesting the homeless are paedophiles?

So, you have kids and you let a stranger into your house. What could possibly go wrong?

Fenster said:

• Options

Huh?

Yes.

Scott_P said:

In reply to your bedroom tax question. I would like to be able to explain to the kids why we should do with less, when I'm away at work all the time, and other people who do less have more than us. I try to explain the concept of fairness, e.g. if we have a bit less, and you don't see me then we're all equal, but they don't get it, and neither do I.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    @PickardJE: Exclusive: Ed Balls privately fought Ed Miliband proposal to reverse bedroom tax http://t.co/KanjNgeaY0

EDIT: Is this part of a coordinated briefing against Ed Balls in light of the McBride allegations?
  • Options
    @SkyNews: i FRONT PAGE: "Maternity leave for grannies if Labour wins power" #skypapers http://t.co/m4zOSStGW0
  • Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/10323319/Why-did-we-tolerate-this-putrid-nonsense.html

Why did we tolerate this putrid nonsense?

New Labour achieved virtually nothing, but its toxic feuding left a stain on a great democracy

"There will be questions for the Eds Miliband and Balls, those Brownite consiglieri, about their knowledge of (and involvement in) the destruction, by malicious briefing, of their master’s rivals. "

• Options
    Floater said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/10323319/Why-did-we-tolerate-this-putrid-nonsense.html

New Labour achieved virtually nothing, but its toxic feuding left a stain on a great democracy

"There will be questions for the Eds Miliband and Balls, those Brownite consiglieri, about their knowledge of (and involvement in) the destruction, by malicious briefing, of their master’s rivals. "

@SkyNews: DAILY MAIL FRONT PAGE: "What emails did Ed send to smear plotter?" #skypapers http://t.co/k6KDvn1VVR
  • Options
    The Economist manages to write a fairly lengthy article on the German election without mentioning Alternative für Deutschland:

http://www.economist.com/news/europe/21586589-last-week-campaign-politicians-are-focusing-tactics-final-push
  • Options
    Lodgers make excellent baby sitters.
    tim said:

Fenster said:

A family with two young kids in a three bedroomed house are defined as having a spare room, I don't think you've been following this have you
  • Options
    Floater said:

Without ever wanting to be defending Damian McBride but arent we in danger of getting a bit prissy here. John Reid, Charles Clarke and Ivan Lewis ... I cant see them as innocent victims of a nasty game they didnt want to play.
  • Options
    That's a facetious question.

Fenster said:

• Options
    1 million people in receipt of housing benefit are in low paid jobs. I imagine quite a few have arduous jobs. The policy has been costed and the savings the government claimed for the bedroom tax have been overinflated.

Huh?

Yes.

Scott_P said:

In reply to your bedroom tax question. I would like to be able to explain to the kids why we should do with less, when I'm away at work all the time, and other people who do less have more than us. I try to explain the concept of fairness, e.g. if we have a bit less, and you don't see me then we're all equal, but they don't get it, and neither do I.
  • Options
    Also, many tenancy agreements explicitly forbid subletting.
    tim said:

Fenster said:

A family with two young kids in a three bedroomed house are defined as having a spare room, I don't think you've been following this have you
  • Options
    tim said:

@Floater

Who in Osbornes office do you think has briefed against every woman cabinet minister since 2010?

Is this covered in the McBride book?

• Options
    Really? You guys are too sharp!

That's a facetious question.

Fenster said:

• Options
    Neil said:

Floater said:

Without ever wanting to be defending Damian McBride but arent we in danger of getting a bit prissy here. John Reid, Charles Clarke and Ivan Lewis ... I cant see them as innocent victims of a nasty game they didnt want to play.
    ** cough** red rag ** cough **
  • Options

1 million people in receipt of housing benefit are in low paid jobs. I imagine quite a few have arduous jobs. The policy has been costed and the savings the government claimed for the bedroom tax have been overinflated.

Sounds like a polite way of saying 'tough, you have to pay the tax, other people will get the benefit.'

Of course, as a politician, it wouldn't be framed that way, but I understand.

• Options
    Floater said:

Neil said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Neil said:

Floater said:

I was talking specifically about the quote about questions in relation to "malicious briefing" against Brown's rivals.
  • Options
    Saturday's Daily Mail contains 6 pages of coverage of @DPMcBride's memoirs - here's a flavour #tomorrowspaperstoday pic.twitter.com/il0jnH1qvO nicksutton
  • Options
    Carola said:

Saturday's Daily Mail contains 6 pages of coverage of @DPMcBride's memoirs - here's a flavour #tomorrowspaperstoday pic.twitter.com/il0jnH1qvO nicksutton

Matt nails it again

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/
  • Options
    Monday's Mail is one to keep an eye on.
  • Options
    ITN: "Bloom blows it for UKIP..."
  • Options
    will be interesting to see how slutgate translates into UKIP's vote share.

BBC banging on about Bloom Sluts and Farage losing it. No atrocities from Syria today.
  • Options

The policy has been costed and the savings the government claimed for the bedroom tax have been overinflated.

Huh?

Yes.

Scott_P said:

It's not just a saving in Housing Benefit payments.

"Some figures I have seen from Barnet Council suggest the impact of the policy in causing people to switch from welfare to work has already been very significant.

If only 10 per cent of the overall 660,000 households affected have someone who switches into work as a result of this change, then the savings for the taxpayer become much greater than the £540 million estimated. Housing Benefit averages around £75 a week, JSA is another £71.70 a week. If 66,000 people are off these benefits then the taxpayer saves another half billion or so. Then there is the tax revenue that is being paid as a result of them working.

It's early days. It's only Barnet. Perhaps the figure will end up being below 10 per cent nationally - I suspect it will be higher."

http://conservativehome.blogs.com/localgovernment/2013/09/spare-room-subsidy-cut-saving-for-more-than-thought-as-many-come-off-benefits-altogether.html
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    edited September 2013
    Interesting. After all this time one of the big boys comes out to play:

'Scottish independence: Call for pro-Union devolution plan'
    The Shadow Foreign Secretary added: "As a Scottish Labour MP I welcome the response from both the Scottish Conservatives and Scottish Liberal Democrats supporting the idea of a National Convention that I set out back in March.

"And so I hope that such a National Convention could become a shared commitment - by those parties who believe that Scotland's better future lies within the United Kingdom.

"It would be both an expression of our patriotism and pride in Scotland, and a mechanism by which to translate our sense of possibility for post-2014 Scotland into practical policies."

In that context, Mr Alexander said he believed an agreed approach by the parties committed to the Union would be a "tangible answer" to the question of what happens if Scotland votes No to independence.

Earlier, he told the BBC's Good Morning Scotland programme: "If there is one certainty it is that after the issue of the independence question is resolved next September there will be discussions about how devolution can be improved.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-24167379
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    More aggro at UKIP conference... The BBC, Guardian and Indy are bound to be all over this...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/10323684/Ukip-conference-Journalist-charged-with-assault-after-attack-at-young-Ukip-party.html
  • Options
    Anecdotes and whatiffery. No hard facts or verifiable statistics in the article.

The policy has been costed and the savings the government claimed for the bedroom tax have been overinflated.

Huh?

Yes.

Scott_P said:

• Options
    Tomorrow's Times:

Re: AfD: "Opinion polls have them at around 5 per cent, but pollsters say the total on Monday could be higher. Many who might vote for them will not say so, fearing the label of extremists."
  • Options
    In the times, paywalled.
    Ed Balls was part of the gang, but didn't know about all the beastly stuff.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/conference/article3875267.ece
  • Options
    Mr Balls insists that he had no knowledge of “three hideous smears” against John Reid, Charles Clarke and Ivan Lewis and claims that he resisted attempts by Mr Brown to undermine Alistair Darling, then Chancellor.

Asked if he was aware that Mr McBride was briefing against ministers, Mr Balls said: “No, I didn’t know. He was a law unto himself, it now seems.”

In his book the spin doctor details a close relationship with the Shadow Chancellor. He relates feeding Mr Balls documents damaging to the Conservatives and that Mr Brown asked him to deliver a message to his former protégé during the Labour leadership contest. For his part Mr Balls now all but disowns the man who masterminded the press operation as the Chancellor saw off rivals and finally won the keys to No 10.

He says that, during the time of the briefings to which Mr McBride has confessed, he had left Mr Brown’s immediate inner circle. “During that period did we meet? Almost never. I saw him sometimes in Downing Street. I would get advice but on a personal level at that time I was consumed by other things.”
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/conference/article3875267.ece
  • Options
    Bloom is punk rocker. The Johnny Rotten of politics. And the British love a bit of counter-culture. Hilarious vignette and great to see the press getting a kicking. All good for Ukip in the end I think.
  • Options
    Coming soon on Youtube: Hitler learns of Godfrey Bloom's spat with Nigel Farage, journalists & Michael Crick. UKIP Downfall moment.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Front of the telegraph tomorrow.

Labour: people on £60k aren't rich

https://twitter.com/benedictbrogan/status/381166250203676672/photo/1
  • Options
    Labour's conference theme, a fall in living standards...

@patrickwintour: Labour blamed for fall in living standards, poll finds http://t.co/ATQPlH05Jp
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Fenster said:

The rules were changed so they can do precisely that.

Essentially they receive a reduced benefit, but in return can keep the rental income. Seems pretty sensible as an approach
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Newsnight: the UKIP MEP who wrecked his own party conference...
    "Has UKIP lost the plot?"

"not a scene from a farce or a sitcom...but today's UKIP party conference..."
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@patrickwintour: Labour blamed for fall in living standards, poll finds http://t.co/ATQPlH05Jp

Don't get to far ahead of your self scott me lad ;-)

As Ed Miliband prepares to open a party conference dedicated to highlighting the crisis in living standards, Labour faces mixed polling showing it is the party most blamed for the fall in living standards, but also the party deemed to have the best policies to tackle the crisis

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/sep/20/labour-fall-living-standards-poll
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    tim said:

I shared a bedroom with my brother until the age of about 10. Nothing wrong with that - my parents wanted a spare room that my Dad used as a home office.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Scott_P said:

As Ed Miliband prepares to open a party conference dedicated to highlighting the crisis in living standards, Labour faces mixed polling showing it is the party most blamed for the fall in living standards, but also the party deemed to have the best policies to tackle the crisis

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/sep/20/labour-fall-living-standards-poll
    I have to ask, what policies?
  • Options
    £60000 doesn't make you rich, but does it buy you votes...

Great stuff from Reeves.
  • Options
    Rod, they would say that wouldn't they. He called their gel a slut.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Scott_P said:

I have to ask, what policies?
    Ask a labour poster,I haven't a clue ;-)
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Neil said:

Floater said:

For all the crocodile tears, it was intra-Labour stuff. McBride vs Reid - Dog attacks dog !

No one died !
This discussion has been closed.