Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Polling analysis: Corbyn is a liability to Labour while TMay h

Comments

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,715

Corbyn making another total hash of PMQs

Forgot it was happening - I'll try and catch the post-match analysis...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    What has Jezza done now about PMQs?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

So in the last year Corbyn's favorability has improved by 20% and Mrs May's has fallen by 25%?

Am I reading the graph right?

In a strict statistical sense, yes. Just looking at the endpoints misses a big chunk of the story, though.
    You mean looking at (the movements) between two data points isn't a good approach?
    The General Election date is the better datat point, as a reference of how things would go if she called an election. May has improved since the GE, Corbyn has not.

I realise this may not play to your agenda....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,426
    OrderOrder reporting Richards has been dropped as candidate.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Can someone clarify please.

If you think that Jews should not occupy Israel that seems to make you anti Zionist.

And being anti Zionist seems to make you anti semitic.

Is this right?

The question is more complicated than I thought.

According to Wikipedia .............

Semites, Semitic people or Semitic cultures (from the biblical "Shem", Hebrew: שם‎) was a term for an ethnic, cultural or racial group who speak or spoke the Semitic languages

A DNA study of Jews and Palestinian Arabs (including Bedouins) found that these were more closely related to each other than to neighboring Arabs.

Genetic studies indicate that modern Jews (Ashkenazi, Sephardic and Mizrahi specifically), Levantine Arabs, Assyrians, Samaritans, Maronites, Druze, Mandaeans, and Mhallami, all have an ancient indigenous common Near Eastern heritage which can be genetically mapped back to the ancient Fertile Crescent, but often also display genetic profiles distinct from one another, indicating the different histories of these peoples.

Hence those racially against Palestinians are also anti semitic it seems.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,899
    edited April 2018
    Ishmael_Z said:

Am I alone in thinking that Labour (and Corbyn) have an anti-Semitism problem *and* that the issue is being exploited by anti-Corbynites to discredit and hopefully despise him?

That Corbyn is being discredited is entirely down to Corbyn.

If he had taken decisive action against anti-semitism in the Labour Party then he could have turned it to his advantage. He chose not to do so.
    Oh I agree.
    But there’s an aspect to this which is more interested in damaging Corbyn than tackling anti-Semitism.

The nervous nancy in me worries about “anti-Semitic inflation”. That we risk devaluing real anti-Semitism in our haste to damn the Corbynistas for crimes both cardinal and petty.
    We don't recognise any lower bound with any other type of "hate crime" below which it's just banter or too trivial to waste court time over - consider e.g. gay wedding cakes. If there is such a thing as "petty" antisemitism, it's what that ghastly man Aidan Burley was guilty of. It rightly ended his career.

And nobody is "hasting" to do anything, this has moved at a snail pace because of Corbyn's failure to act.
    'Petty anti-Semitism'. I went to see a mainstream film yesterday called Ghost Stories. The main character Professor Goodman a sceptical ghost-hunter was in conversation with a Mr Priddie who had psychological problems. This was the converation almost verbatum

Priddie-'I was forced to sell my house'

Prof Goodman-'But I bet you got a good price'

Priddie-'That's all you lot think about'

The writer and director was also the lead actor Prof Goodman who was clearly Jewish but nontheless a rare example of petty anti-Semitism in a film (and it had no bearing on the plot)
  • Options

So in the last year Corbyn's favorability has improved by 20% and Mrs May's has fallen by 25%?

Am I reading the graph right?

In a strict statistical sense, yes. Just looking at the endpoints misses a big chunk of the story, though.
    Just looking at the end points also loses the many opportunities to shout "CROSSOVER!"

However, it is good to see that TSE has been on a LibDem graph-making course.
    Funnily enough I was recently offered a job working for a crisis management firm. I was told my ability to put the most positive/negative spin on stories is excellent.

'It was a truly a terrible night for the iceberg, smashed into thousands of pieces by the Titanic'
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Usual ranting. Failed to land a punch over Windrush. Seemed to be happy to allow May to paint Labour as soft on illegal immigration.

A good summary:

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/989101979598286849
  • Options

Told you that the DUP could make Corbyn PM.

A senior DUP MP today warned Theresa May that his party is prepared to bring down the Government rather than see Northern Ireland fracture away from Britain.

Nigel Dodds, leader of the Democratic Unionist Party at Westminster, said his party would enforce its “red line” that Brexit must not lead to a rift between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK.

EU leaders are pushing for the province to effectively remain in the customs union and single market if the Government fails to come up with a solution to avoid a hard border between Northern Ireland and the Republic.

Mr Dodds said: “If, as a result of the Brexit negotiations for instance, there was to be any suggestion that Northern Ireland would be treated differently in a way, for instance that we were part of a customs union and a single market and the rest of the UK wasn’t ... for us that would be a red line, which we would vote against the Government.”

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-latest-dup-leader-vows-to-bring-down-theresa-may-if-she-breaks-red-line-on-border-a3823321.html

Doddy must realise that with a JC PM, he would find himself a citizen of the republic fairly quickly.
  • Options
    Please pray for me.

I'm going to see Liverpool play Roma next week, and I'm scared because of the Roma fans I'm going to have to fly on Ryanair.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Jeremy Corbyn has started doing something a bit different. He's now called for the resignation of both Amber Rudd and Theresa May. In the past he's apparently seen such calls as beneath him, even when the opportunities were screaming at him. Worth noting.
  • Options

Usual ranting. Failed to land a punch over Windrush. Seemed to be happy to allow May to paint Labour as soft on illegal immigration.

A good summary:

Again, this is just Jezza's world view, they aren't really any such thing as illegal immigrants, as they are all here fleeing war or to make a better life for themselves. None of which should be illegal.
  • Options

Please pray for me.

I'm going to see Liverpool play Roma next week, and I'm scared because of the Roma fans I'm going to have to fly on Ryanair.

You are going to be in for a real shock there!
  • Options

Jeremy Corbyn has started doing something a bit different. He's now called for the resignation of both Amber Rudd and Theresa May. In the past he's apparently seen such calls as beneath him, even when the opportunities were screaming at him. Worth noting.

Perhaps Corbyn followed my tip on Amber Rudd as next out of the cabinet at 33/1?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    May did get the highest Tory voteshare since Thatcher after all while Corbyn still got less than Blair in 1997 and 2001
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,825
    Pulpstar said:
    It does perhaps demonstrate that many BNP and Kipper former voters may well follow the same path to Labour voting, as indeed they did last June.

Heaven has a place for sinners who repent.
  • Options

Makes Rudd safer than she otherwise might have been does it not as May won't want to be seen dancing to Corbyn's tune.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Traditionally frontbenchers steer clear of calling for resignations unless they think they're going to get them. I don't think that can be the case here; certainly not in TM's case (I agree there have been chances he's passed up in the past).

But Corbyn supporters call for practically any Tory anywhere to resign on the back of any policy they dislike or any administrative failure, so he's very much in line with his support base on that and it will presumably increase the virality of his rants.
  • Options
    David Tredinnick banging on about homeopathy.

Eesh
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

David Tredinnick banging on about homeopathy.

Eesh

Jeez.
  • Options

Please pray for me.

Is Ryanair that bad?
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Please pray for me.

Is Ryanair that bad?
    I had to endure it late last year. I am still in counselling.....
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Eagles,

"I'm going to see Liverpool play Roma next week, and I'm scared because of the Roma fans I'm going to have to fly on Ryanair."

By all means taunt the local Mafioso with anti-Roma chants, but don't chance Ryanair. It's honestly not worth the risk. They'll charge you to fart and you'll probably land near Naples.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    It could be a huge story but so far the only police complaints seem to have come from the Conservative Party itself, according to that article.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

"Former". About time, too.
    twitter.com/johnestevens/status/989103851730063360

She is a teacher? They let her loose on kids?
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Eagles,

"I'm going to see Liverpool play Roma next week, and I'm scared because of the Roma fans I'm going to have to fly on Ryanair."

By all means taunt the local Mafioso with anti-Roma chants, but don't chance Ryanair. It's honestly not worth the risk. They'll charge you to fart and you'll probably land near Naples.

I might go on the train then.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Please pray for me.

Is Ryanair that bad?
    Lightweights. Try Wizz Air out of Luton.
  • Options

Please pray for me.

Is Ryanair that bad?
    Train it is then.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

If you think that Jews should not occupy Israel that seems to make you anti Zionist.

Is this right?

Semites, Semitic people or Semitic cultures (from the biblical "Shem", Hebrew: שם‎) was a term for an ethnic, cultural or racial group who speak or spoke the Semitic languages

A DNA study of Jews and Palestinian Arabs (including Bedouins) found that these were more closely related to each other than to neighboring Arabs.

Genetic studies indicate that modern Jews (Ashkenazi, Sephardic and Mizrahi specifically), Levantine Arabs, Assyrians, Samaritans, Maronites, Druze, Mandaeans, and Mhallami, all have an ancient indigenous common Near Eastern heritage which can be genetically mapped back to the ancient Fertile Crescent, but often also display genetic profiles distinct from one another, indicating the different histories of these peoples.

No, the word 'anti-semitic' has changed meaning over time. Etymologically it comes from the word 'semitic' which indeed is a technical term referring to various Middle-Eastern peoples. But 'anti-semitic' has for a long time now referred exclusively to racism against Jews.

Likewise, the distinction between Zionism and Judaism is an important one. Zionism is a belief in a Jewish state in Israel, being 'pro-zionist' is now also used to mean supporting the way Israel currently acts. Judaism is a culture and/or belief system (depending on the individual) of which support for a Jewish state in Israel is entirely optional. There are some Jews who think Israel shouldn't exist, and many more who think that while it should the current Israeli government acts poorly and should be criticised.

Being anti-zionist refers to opposing the State of Israel, or opposing various actions of Israel. There is no reason to object to Jewish people generally or Jewish culture generally in order to do this.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Please pray for me.

Is Ryanair that bad?
    Train it is then.
    In all fairness, if you fly RyanAir with zero expectations of it being much more than being transported like cattle and have noise cancelling headphones to drown out the noise of the stag parties and the constant adverts trying to flog you some RyanAir related crap, it isn't the end of the world.

I wouldn't want to be on there for more than 2hrs though and would never choose to fly with them (EasyJet are much better if you are going no frills).

Late time I was sat next to a homeless guy who tried to tell me all about his life. I am guessing flying RyanAir was cheaper than staying in a hostel in the middle of winter.
  • Options

A good summary:

Couldn't Hodges' tweet be turned around the other way? Isn't it just as valid to say Corbyn was talking about legal settlers and that Theresa May spoke about illegal ones.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Please pray for me.

Is Ryanair that bad?
    Train it is then.
    In all fairness, if you fly RyanAir with zero expectations of it being much more than being transported like cattle and have noise cancelling headphones to drown out the noise of the stag parties and the constant adverts trying to flog you some RyanAir related crap, it isn't the end of the world.

I wouldn't want to be on there for more than 2hrs though and would never choose to fly with them (EasyJet are much better if you are going no frills).

If I'm flying to another country for the cost of a train ticket to Norwich, I know what I'm getting. WizzAir, indeed, evenmore so.
  • Options

Please pray for me.

Is Ryanair that bad?
    My Dad tells me Luton town centre is worse than the airport even :o
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Please pray for me.

Is Ryanair that bad?
    My Dad tells me Luton town centre is worse than the airport even :o
    Luton Airport Parkway <-> Luton Airport, town doesn't need to figure :)
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    edited April 2018

Is this right?

True, but also a quibble (also a reason for thinking that "judeophobia" should be substituted for "anti-semitism.")

I think (but am willing to be corrected) that to be anti-Zionist is to be against Israeli expansionism and its methods of expanding. If you are against the existence of Israel at all you run in to the problem of what to do with all its citizens. Do you send them "home" bearing in mind there must be 4th and 5th generation Israel-born Jews there now? Or what?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

Please pray for me.

Is Ryanair that bad?
    Wizz Air out of Budapest via the cowshed satellite terminal is an experience.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    St Vince!
  • Options

Please pray for me.

Is Ryanair that bad?
    Train it is then.

If I'm flying to another country for the cost of a train ticket to Norwich, I know what I'm getting. WizzAir, indeed, evenmore so.
    I have never had the pleasure of WizzAir, but with a name like Wizz, I am going to guess they aren't trying to rival Emirates.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,150

A good summary:

Couldn't Hodges' tweet be turned around the other way? Isn't it just as valid to say Corbyn was talking about legal settlers and that Theresa May spoke about illegal ones.
    Well, only if he was incorrect in saying "Corbyn rants about hostile environment for illegal migrants."
  • Options

Please pray for me.

Is Ryanair that bad?
    Train it is then.

Late time I was sat next to a homeless guy who tried to tell me all about his life. I am guessing flying RyanAir was cheaper than staying in a hostel in the middle of winter.
    Apart from being made to queue outside in the rain prior to boarding, Ryanair is no different to any other short-haul carrier these days. BA charge you for a cup of tea too, and their leg room, if anything, is worse.
  • Options

"Guardian on track to break even as company halves its losses
    Publisher reports smaller than expected loss of £19m as benefits of tabloid switch filter through"

reports, er, the Guardian
  • Options

Please pray for me.

Is Ryanair that bad?
    Train it is then.

Outbound journey is 2hrs 45 mins and return journey is 10 mins longer.

My last flight was in first class on Emirates
  • Options

Traditionally frontbenchers steer clear of calling for resignations unless they think they're going to get them. I don't think that can be the case here; certainly not in TM's case (I agree there have been chances he's passed up in the past).

But Corbyn supporters call for practically any Tory anywhere to resign on the back of any policy they dislike or any administrative failure, so he's very much in line with his support base on that and it will presumably increase the virality of his rants.
    https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/989100819839627272
  • Options

A good summary:

To be honest I simply do not think he sees any difference and gives the impression that he is indifferent to illegal immigration
  • Options

Anorak said:

That was my thought as well. She seems like a disturbed person.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

PMQs - Snap verdict: For many listeners that may have been a confusing PMQs to follow, because for much of it Corbyn and May appeared to be talking at complete cross purposes, but there was no escaping the fact that May was dodging legitimate and awkward questions about the impact of her policies as home secretary and Corbyn successfully had her wriggling.

He repeatedly asked why she ignored warnings about the impact her “hostile environment” strategy would have on Windrush generation migrants, and she couldn’t answer. Instead she more or less ignored the points he was making and kept trying to bring the exchanges back to the issue of illegal immigration, not legal, Windrush-era immigration.

It may well be the case that there is more public support for May than Labour MPs (or Guardian readers) would care to admit when she says the public do want to see government crack down on illegal immigration. And Corbyn’s firm questioning took a slightly odd turn right at the end, when he threw in a surprise call for Amber Rudd’s resignation after an exchange that had focused on May’s own culpability.

But, overall, May was very much on the defensive and her efforts to defend herself against Corbyn by quoting Liam Byrne and Yvette Cooper against him was a strategy doomed to failure. You won’t find “controls on immigration” mugs on sale at Labour HQ anymore, and there is a very good reason why Cooper is no longer shadow home secretary. Corbyn can’t be held to responsible for Labour immigration policy pre-2015; he opposed it as strongly as anyone.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2018/apr/25/pmqs-may-corbyn-david-davis-amber-rudd-windrush-questioned-by-commons-brexit-committee-politics-live
  • Options
    Anyway RyanAir pales into insignificance in comparison to an internal flight in South America. A few years ago I took one, the door to the cockpit was broken and there was rain leaking in from somewhere. As for a terminal facilities, that would be consistent of sitting in the open air at the side of the runway on your luggage.
  • Options

Please pray for me.

Is Ryanair that bad?
    Train it is then.

I have never had the pleasure of WizzAir, but with a name like Wizz, I am going to guess they aren't trying to rival Emirates.
    Emirates: 10-across on a 777. Better seat width on Wizz.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    mwadams said:

A good summary:

Well, only if he was incorrect in saying "Corbyn rants about hostile environment for illegal migrants."
    I didn't watch it live, but according to the paraphrasing on the Guardian live blog, he wasn't talking about illegal immigration. He was talking about the hostile environment, but about the problems it was causing legal immigrants.

Maybe the paraphrasing is misleading though, so if somebody watched it or has a transcript and can work out what Hodges is talking about, go ahead.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Please pray for me.

Is Ryanair that bad?
    Train it is then.

Apart from being made to queue outside in the rain prior to boarding, Ryanair is no different to any other short-haul carrier these days. BA charge you for a cup of tea too, and their leg room, if anything, is worse.
    Do BA try and flog you scratch cards, hotels, car hire, currency exchange, local maps and guide books etc etc etc etc for the entirety of the flight? Only ceasing to do so, when a fight breaks out between the groom and his best man?
  • Options

Please pray for me.

Is Ryanair that bad?
    Train it is then.

Not in business class....
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Quincel said:

Is this right?

No, the word 'anti-semitic' has changed meaning over time. Etymologically it comes from the word 'semitic' which indeed is a technical term referring to various Middle-Eastern peoples. But 'anti-semitic' has for a long time now referred exclusively to racism against Jews.

Likewise, the distinction between Zionism and Judaism is an important one. Zionism is a belief in a Jewish state in Israel, being 'pro-zionist' is now also used to mean supporting the way Israel currently acts. Judaism is a culture and/or belief system (depending on the individual) of which support for a Jewish state in Israel is entirely optional. There are some Jews who think Israel shouldn't exist, and many more who think that while it should the current Israeli government acts poorly and should be criticised.

Being anti-zionist refers to opposing the State of Israel, or opposing various actions of Israel. There is no reason to object to Jewish people generally or Jewish culture generally in order to do this.
    I'm not sure that's quite right. Being a zionist is about supporting the right is Israel to exist as a political entity. It does not mean providing unequivocal support of Israeli government policy (which would in my opinion be daft).

The IHRA* definition of anti-semitism includes criticism of Israel as a Jewish state (i.e. the criticism is based on the race of the population, or treats it as a "jewish collective"), but excludes "criticism of Israel similar to that levelled against any other country".

There are definitely fuzzy areas and both 'sides' push the boundaries of the definition to serve their own ends.

* adopted by the UK
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Anorak said:

According to Stephen Bush, the general idea of the party selection is to put up the preferred candidate and some hopeless ones. Apparently in Worchester it was accordingly "a very short list". Does that mean some even weirder candidate must now get the nod??? Let's hope they are just terribly boring and not a certified nutter.

• Options
    I'm old enough to remember when PMQs lasted for 15 mins.
  • Options

I'm old enough to remember when PMQs lasted for 15 mins.

Bercow is just stupid - it is now nearly 1.00pm
  • Options

Anorak said:

According to Stephen Bush, the general idea of the party selection is to put up the preferred candidate and some hopeless ones. Apparently in Worchester it was accordingly "a very short list". Does that mean some even weirder candidate must now get the nod??? Let's hope they are just terribly boring and not a certified nutter.

I was not aware they put up a preferred candidate along with dud ones. They should give the party members a choice of viable candidates.
  • Options

Please pray for me.

Is Ryanair that bad?
    Train it is then.

Wizz look at Michael O'Leary's tongue-in-cheek proposals for Ryanair and go "you know what, that's a great idea".

99p to get your flight details on the app.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    From Twitter, looks like Corbyn did today what he should have done last week. I saw that even moderates like Ben Bradshaw were praising him. Unfortunately, he fluffed his lines yesterday when it came to dealing with antisemitism. One step forward and two steps back.
  • Options

Anorak said:

I was not aware they put up a preferred candidate along with dud ones. They should give the party members a choice of viable candidates.
    "In order to exert a measure of control of the process, Labour regional and head offices took a leaf out of the Conservative playbook for managing selections: presenting a shortlist of candidates in which the preferred candidate rubbed shoulders with a series of people who were considered highly unlikely to pose a challenge: a “managed choice” in which the roster was essentially: the unfit, the unsound and the preferred candidate."

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2018/04/selection-mandy-richards-exposes-longterm-problem-how-labour-vets

I profess no personal knowledge, although I could easily imagine the Tories doing similar.
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/apr/25/help-to-buy-agency-writes-down-loan-on-flat-over-grenfell-style-cladding

I know somebody who lives in one of these flats. I had no idea that some of them were losing 90% of their value though, that seems insane.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,792

Please pray for me.

Is Ryanair that bad?
    Ryanair is a normally efficient airline using newish airplanes that get you there on time more often than others. They have recently dialled back on the hard sell and petty regulations, so no more aggravating in those respects than others now. The risk you are taking is that if things go wrong, you are on your own.

If you want to go somewhere from Scotland or provincial England there is a high probability of Ryanair being the airline that takes you there. They're OK.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,899
    edited April 2018
    Ishmael_Z said:

Is this right?

True, but also a quibble (also a reason for thinking that "judeophobia" should be substituted for "anti-semitism.")

I think (but am willing to be corrected) that to be anti-Zionist is to be against Israeli expansionism and its methods of expanding. If you are against the existence of Israel at all you run in to the problem of what to do with all its citizens. Do you send them "home" bearing in mind there must be 4th and 5th generation Israel-born Jews there now? Or what?
    Zionists believe Israel including Judea and Samaria (The West Bank and beyond) is the home of the Jewish people and they must therefore limit the gentiles who are allowed to live there as keeping it a majority Jewish state is fundamental. Thus the 'Right of Return' which gives all Jews the right to live in Israel is denied to all non Jews -even those born there-which is why some call it a racist/apartheid state
  • Options

Please pray for me.

Is Ryanair that bad?
    Train it is then.

You could buy every seat on the Wizzair flight for the price of one Emirates Business Class ticket. Comparing apples and oranges.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

:lol: Do not click while drinking coffee!!

https://twitter.com/wallaceme/status/989072866128945153

Who knew the witch issue was so contentious.

One source says:

"Many people do still use “witch” to mean “someone who worships the Devil and/or evil and who engages in gratuitous malevolence.” Present-day Witches generally feel that such a definition of “witch” results merely from Christian politics and propaganda. Pagan Witches regard Satanist witches as Christian heretics and not Pagan at all."

Another source has definitions including both:

- an ugly or unpleasant woman.
    - a girl or woman who is bewitchingly attractive

Like “glamorous” derives from “a glamour” which is a spell of control - not a positive thing!
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    FF43 said:

Please pray for me.

Is Ryanair that bad?
    Ryanair is a normally efficient airline using newish airplanes that get you there on time more often than others. They have recently dialled back on the hard sell and petty regulations, so no more aggravating in those respects than others now. The risk you are taking is that if things go wrong, you are on your own.

If you want to go somewhere from Scotland or provincial England there is a high probability of Ryanair being the airline that takes you there. They're OK.
    They HAD dialled back on stuff, but the past few months they introduced their new hand luggage limits. Anything over the size of a ladies hand bag now has to go in the hold...unless of course you pay for the old priority boarding.
  • Options
    If Yvette had shown that fire 3 years ago she could be PM now...
  • Options

Yvette can only do angry or teary with nothing in between.
  • Options
    Charles said:

:lol: Do not click while drinking coffee!!

https://twitter.com/wallaceme/status/989072866128945153

Who knew the witch issue was so contentious.

One source says:

"Many people do still use “witch” to mean “someone who worships the Devil and/or evil and who engages in gratuitous malevolence.” Present-day Witches generally feel that such a definition of “witch” results merely from Christian politics and propaganda. Pagan Witches regard Satanist witches as Christian heretics and not Pagan at all."

Another source has definitions including both:

- an ugly or unpleasant woman.
    - a girl or woman who is bewitchingly attractive

Like “glamorous” derives from “a glamour” which is a spell of control - not a positive thing!
    How enthralling
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/apr/25/help-to-buy-agency-writes-down-loan-on-flat-over-grenfell-style-cladding

I know somebody who lives in one of these flats. I had no idea that some of them were losing 90% of their value though, that seems insane.

But surely only flammable cladding was put on very poor high rise social housing blocks by champagne quaffing Tory councillors in order to exterminate the lower classes?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

FF43 said:

Please pray for me.

Is Ryanair that bad?

They HAD dialled back on stuff, but the past few months they introduced their new hand luggage limits. Anything over the size of a ladies hand bag now has to go in the hold...unless of course you pay for the old priority boarding.
    All low cost airlines will take bags off you at the gate and put them into the hold if they don't have enough space in the overhead lockers so Ryanair's new policy isn't a big problem.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    I know parliament has some odd practices but this seems a bit harsh.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/989109164772352002
  • Options
    edited April 2018

FF43 said:

Please pray for me.

Is Ryanair that bad?

All low cost airlines will take bags off you at the gate and put them into the hold if they don't have enough space in the overhead lockers so Ryanair's new policy isn't a big problem.
    It is a big change for many that liked the fact they could get a couple of days worth of clothes and a laptop / ipad in a small backpack and whizz through the airport at both ends.
  • Options

Isn't that the sort of thing that normally only happens at top private schools?
  • Options

That figure might well be plucked out of thin air but if the market seizes up because no-one will lend against these flats, then who will buy them? How many buyers have half to a million pounds in cash and how many of those will want to take the risk they cannot sell later on? This is Major-era negative equity writ large. No-one can buy and no-one can afford to sell at artificially low prices.
  • Options

Yvette can only do angry or teary with nothing in between.
    Yup there’s nothing more than that. Virtue seeking is her only skill. It seems. Of course she could learn to do the other stuff. When you know she’s going to do it is easy to spot. Her heart felt plea for the government to bring in more unaccompanied children offering up a spare room. Pure theatre. In the full knowledge that that isn’t how it works. This isn’t 1940s London with children just getting parcelled out to random people without thorough checks.

There is a place for perpetual indignation in politics, but it tends to not survive the move from opposition to power.
  • Options

That would be under the various immigration acts of labour ?
  • Options

I'm very sorry.
    https://twitter.com/ScottMoffett01/status/989114170607128576
  • Options
    Anorak said:

I'm very sorry.
    https://twitter.com/ScottMoffett01/status/989114170607128576
    Where’s the ban hammer?
  • Options
    JSpringJSpring Posts: 97
    edited April 2018

I feel for anyone who was eating their lunch while reading that tweet. Which is probably quite a few, given what time of the day it is.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Anorak said:

I'm not sure that's quite right. Being a zionist is about supporting the right is Israel to exist as a political entity. It does not mean providing unequivocal support of Israeli government policy (which would in my opinion be daft).

The IHRA* definition of anti-semitism includes criticism of Israel as a Jewish state (i.e. the criticism is based on the race of the population, or treats it as a "jewish collective"), but excludes "criticism of Israel similar to that levelled against any other country".

There are definitely fuzzy areas and both 'sides' push the boundaries of the definition to serve their own ends.

* adopted by the UK

There definitely is a difficult line to draw around when criticism of Israel as a Jewish state becomes criticism of Judaism or Jews more generally, in part due to the inevitable question about what to do with Israel's Jewish majority if Israel were to be removed (i.e. if you view it's existence in anything like its present form to be an occupation which should be ended).

On the definition of zionism I broadly agree with you, I tried to make clear that zionism was originally and remains technically just supporting the existance of Israel - but I maintain that a second meaning of supporting the specific (current) Israel and its government has developed or is developing. This obviously leads to confusion, but I do think the word now has two slightly different meanings.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited April 2018

Please pray for me.

Is Ryanair that bad?
    Train it is then.

You know Emirates fly to Rome*, right?

10 hours in an A380 flat bed with WiFi drinking champagne, or three hours in a pressurised bus full of stag parties and Liverpool supporters, your call.

*Actually Rome airport, not some random field 100 miles away.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Wasn't it popularised by Ms Soubry on Nigel Farage?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Please pray for me.

Is Ryanair that bad?
    Train it is then.

10 hours in an A380 flat bed drinking champagne or three hours in a pressurised bus full of stag parties and Liverpool supporters, your call.

I did not know that.

Cheers.
  • Options

That figure might well be plucked out of thin air but if the market seizes up because no-one will lend against these flats, then who will buy them? How many buyers have half to a million pounds in cash and how many of those will want to take the risk they cannot sell later on? This is Major-era negative equity writ large. No-one can buy and no-one can afford to sell at artificially low prices.
    Interestingly the flat my friend lives in is shared ownership. People there may only own a 25% stake, so in some circumstances they probably could afford to sell. And I think the HA is limited in their ability to set rent, so they may be forced to drop it.
  • Options

Anorak said:

"In order to exert a measure of control of the process, Labour regional and head offices took a leaf out of the Conservative playbook for managing selections: presenting a shortlist of candidates in which the preferred candidate rubbed shoulders with a series of people who were considered highly unlikely to pose a challenge: a “managed choice” in which the roster was essentially: the unfit, the unsound and the preferred candidate."

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2018/04/selection-mandy-richards-exposes-longterm-problem-how-labour-vets

I profess no personal knowledge, although I could easily imagine the Tories doing similar.
    Labour tried to do that in the Copeland ByElection. A good candidate who already had a profile as someone who had setup a homeless shelter for ex forces, effectively campaigned to stop the relocation of local maternity services. They put her amongst some duffer candidates. One of them a councillor claimed to be a Dr, but never got past her foundation year and drove ambulances for some years (not a paramedic just those getting people to different hospitals for non urgent stuff). They selected the dull and useless councillor who then went on to lose her council seat a few months later after she lost the by-election.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,444
    Labour has officially deselected candidate Mandy Richards for the Worcester seat at the next general election, following a row over social media posts.
  • Options
    notme said:

But surely only flammable cladding was put on very poor high rise social housing blocks by champagne quaffing Tory councillors in order to exterminate the lower classes?
    I expect property developers fall into the champagne-quaffing class as well. (British ones anyway: Trump is teetotal.)
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Sandpit said:

10 hours in an A380 flat bed with WiFi drinking champagne, or three hours in a pressurised bus full of stag parties and Liverpool supporters, your call.

Why 10 hours vs 3?
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Roger said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Is this right?

Zionists believe Israel including Judea and Samaria (The West Bank and beyond) is the home of the Jewish people and they must therefore limit the gentiles who are allowed to live there as keeping it a majority Jewish state is fundamental. Thus the 'Right of Return' which gives all Jews the right to live in Israel is denied to all non Jews -even those born there-which is why some call it a racist/apartheid state
    Could you just convert to Judaism while being of another race? How easy is that to do?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited April 2018
    Ishmael_Z said:

Sandpit said:

Why 10 hours vs 3?
    Manchester>Dubai>Rome

It was said in jest, but I wouldn’t put it past Mr Eagles to do it!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    On topic, this asks the wrong question. The issue is whether the leader attracts more people who would *not otherwise* support the party than he or she repels *who would otherwise support the party*. I think TM is basically neutral on that - few people who don't rate the Tories vote Tory because they think May is super, few Tories refuse to turn out because they hate May. Corbyn attracts some people who haven't voted Labvour for a long time, and he repels people like Southam who have voted Labour all their lives.

I think that he pulls more than he repels, but the only evidence I can offer is the polling showing Labour doing worse with other leaders.
  • Options

Please pray for me.

Is Ryanair that bad?
    Train it is then.

The main problem with the no frills airline EasyJet is that they are no longer cheap. In fact they haven't been cheap for ages. They price cut to smoke out the opposition and then hiked up their prices once they got route monopolies. On the routes where they do compete with mainline carriers like BA, BA are often very close to them in headline price and considerably cheaper once you account for EasyJet's daft surcharges and stupid flight times. I recently saved £60 and hours of sleep by choosing BA to Milan over EasyJet simply because their flight times were at a civilised hour. If you have to get a cab in the morning to the airport because the tube isn't yet running, you are making a false economy.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Roger said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Is this right?

Could you just convert to Judaism while being of another race? How easy is that to do?
    Simple enough for me due to 'medical reasons' as a child. Your mileage may vary.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Anazina said:

Roger said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Is this right?

Simple enough for me due to 'medical reasons' as a child. Your mileage may vary.
    Ha!
  • Options
    That was a party political broadcast for the Customs Union.
This discussion has been closed.