Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Introducing my 270/1 shot to win WH2020 – Colorado Governor Jo

Comments

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Dura_Ace said:

MaxPB said:

Hopefully the French people back him over the unions.
    I wouldn't count on it. France is a country where the voters lie to the politicians by voting for reformist leaders then en allant aux barricades when reform is proposed.
    Alternatively the strikers heading to the barricades aren't the same voters who elected the politician in the first place. So we have democracy trumped by caving in to the strikers.
    It should be remembered that for all the media orgasms over Macron, he only won 24% of the vote in the first round: more than three-quarters of voters backed someone else. he won because he wasn't Le Pen. In the Fifth Republic's history, only Chirac (twice) was elected with a smaller first-round share.
    Indeed.

24% voted for Macron in the first round.
    11% are union members.

Even if no union members were Macron voters (unlikely) that would leave still another 65% of the nation as neither Macron voters nor union members.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

felix said:
    I mean, just how f*cking stupid do you have to be to get selected as a Labour MP?
    That really does show so little awareness and knowledge of recent history. You would hope the average MP would know a whole lot better.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Conspiracy theory time: I wonder if McDonnell suggested to Jezza that he ought to attend the Jewdas event?

Delivered with McDonnell's ruthlessness, this might have worked.
    Why would he hasten the leadership of Thornberry?
    I mean, a strict control of the narrative here would have left "Tories" attacking Jews for not being Jewish enough more successfully than it has
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

felix said:
    Probably the training needed for Naz is not to use Twitter.

There were always lots of very dumb MPs, but we never knew about them.

Twitter has removed all doubt about the collective stupidity of MPs, whether they are the Labour MP for Bradford West or the Tory MP for Mansfield.
    There is a long history of stupid MPs.

Twitter has just made them very visible.

Previously, Mr F. Uckwit, the MP for Riddle-on-the-Diddle did not feel the need to give us his opinion on every matter under the Sun every day in tweet.
  • Options

felix said:
    I mean, just how f*cking stupid do you have to be to get selected as a Labour MP?
    Have you seen the standard of the Welsh AMs?

The bright ones are the ones who can put some text in a compose box on twitter. They become MPs.

The ones who can't even do that are sent to the Senedd.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    philiph said:

felix said:
    That really does show so little awareness and knowledge of recent history. You would hope the average MP would know a whole lot better.
    I was going to suggest Naz Shah is perhaps too young to know better, but that's not the case. She's an idiot.
  • Options
    glw said:

philiph said:

felix said:
    I was going to suggest Naz Shah is perhaps too young to know better, but that's not the case. She's an idiot.
    I’m young enough to remember when some Tories used to proudly wear ‘Hang Nelson Mandela’ badges.

Political parties do attract some weirdos and utter melts.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    slade said:

Mike have you ever had a long odds winner in the Presidential markets ?

Funny you should say that but modesty forbids me from highlighting what became my best known bet.
    Many, many moons ago, I made a tidy sum on an unknown from Arkansa called Bill.

Shows how long I've been at this mad game :-)
    Many moons ago I gave a lecture and touted a Governor from Georgia called Carter - but forgot to put a bet on it.
    So like Carter, you even failed to make peanuts?
  • Options

felix said:

Twitter has removed all doubt about the collective stupidity of MPs, whether they are the Labour MP for Bradford West or the Tory MP for Mansfield.

Previously, Mr F. Uckwit, the MP for Riddle-on-the-Diddle did not feel the need to give us his opinion on every matter under the Sun every day in tweet.
    To quote Norman Tebbit, 'far better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt.'
  • Options
    "The Labour party has formally endorsed Dan Jarvis’s candidacy to be the mayor of the Sheffield city region, agreeing to allow him to stay on as an MP if he is elected in May."

I recall laying him at 7/1 for next leader...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

felix said:

To quote Norman Tebbit, 'far better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt.'
    Wasn’t that Denis Thatcher?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

felix said:

I think Norman stole it from Mark Twain.

Still, I suppose Norman knew it was good enough to be worth stealing.
  • Options

"The Labour party has formally endorsed Dan Jarvis’s candidacy to be the mayor of the Sheffield city region, agreeing to allow him to stay on as an MP if he is elected in May."

I thought Major Jarvis was going to be the new Major Attlee
  • Options

ydoethur said:

felix said:

I've seen it attributed to many politicians, including Teddy Roosevelt. Tebbit is the one who fits the profile of vicious and patronising best though.
  • Options

I thought Major Jarvis was going to be the new Major Attlee
    Turned out his career has been capped in Yorkshire.

Now where did I put my coat?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited April 2018
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

I've seen it attributed to many politicians, including Teddy Roosevelt. Tebbit is the one who fits the profile of vicious and patronising best though.
    ‘Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt.’

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2669923.stm
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    glw said:

philiph said:

felix said:
    Maybe she thought necklaces were the key to power. And that's why Theresa May wears those chunky beads.....
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Pete Wishart had a long-standing claim to be the stupidest MP at Westminster, but since he adopted the Wings over Somerset block list I am no longer able to verify his ranking...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    I see the french are starting their national summer past time early this year....2 in every 5 days the train driver are on strike for the next 3 months.
  • Options
    DanielDaniel Posts: 160
    My guess: Corbyn wants out but doesn't want to stand down. Rather be seen as 'forced' to ensure a left successor takes over.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Daniel said:

My guess: Corbyn wants out but doesn't want to stand down. Rather be seen as 'forced' to ensure a left successor takes over.

On the other hand, he's probably more than happy to push some 'moderates' to the limit and beyond. If labour fracture and the moderates go, then it just makes Labour more left wing overall.
  • Options
    But no doubt people will continue to pretend tweets and statements like that don't exist, and wrongly claim that Jewdas dismissed all the antisemitism claims as a "smear campaign".
  • Options

Daniel said:

On the other hand, he's probably more than happy to push some 'moderates' to the limit and beyond. If labour fracture and the moderates go, then it just makes Labour more left wing overall.
    I think he would accept moderates leaving as a necessary evil. Unlike McDonnell, I don't think he is ruthless enough to have it as an aim.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

Is it not classical? I have a vague memory of Sir Humphrey saying it in Greek, or possibly Latin.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    edited April 2018
    slade said:

Mike have you ever had a long odds winner in the Presidential markets ?

Funny you should say that but modesty forbids me from highlighting what became my best known bet.
    Many, many moons ago, I made a tidy sum on an unknown from Arkansa called Bill.

Shows how long I've been at this mad game :-)
    Many moons ago I gave a lecture and touted a Governor from Georgia called Carter - but forgot to put a bet on it.
    The odds on that would have been superb I imagine.
    My understanding is Carter was the first candidate to figure out aggressively campaigning in Iowa and other early states was key to building momentum/getting national recognition if you weren't that well-known beforehand.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Good afternoon, everyone.

I have very mixed views on this. I've backed it at longer odds than the current ones, but shorter than the tip. On the other hand, I like having the current record for longest winning tip...
  • Options

I have very mixed views on this. I've backed it at longer odds than the current ones, but shorter than the tip. On the other hand, I like having the current record for longest winning tip...

Longer than the Leicester City winning the Prem?
    Surely not...
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974
    Danny565 said:

FPT

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

95% and many on here say a lot of things about Corbyn. (1)

Only to your mind. (2)

So what indeed, quite frankly who cares what regularly xenophobic right wing newspapers judge to be the good or bad Jewish groups, as far as I am concerned, they are the bad papers. Yes it must be annoying for the right wing newspapers that despite a campaign lasting years now all they have done reinforced his position. Thank god, I've been waiting all my life for a potential PM that wasn't enslaved to our crazy right wing newspapers, it seems to drive them ballistic, good, they have been holding our democracy back for years. The best they can hope for is holding Labour back until Corbyn's successor, who will be left wing.

Yet again you are wilfully not understanding the context. Labour MPs say there is a problem with anti-semitism within the Labour Party, Momentum tells us there is an anti-semitism problem within the Labour Party. And The Jezziah (THE Jezziah, that is) tells us there is an anti-semitism problem within the Labour Party.

So - three impeccable may I be so bold as to say non-right wing sources tell us there is an anti-semitism problem within the Labour Party. And in this context, Jeremy Corbyn wilfully/idiotically/cluelessly exacerbates the situation.

And you? The Jezziah of PB? It is all the fault of the right wing press.

One of us is not getting it.
    /blockquote>

didn't.
    But you are again conflating all the issues of the past few weeks into one.

The fact that a small number of Labour members post antisemitic stuff and deny the Holocaust is a problem. The fact those members aren't chucked out is a problem. I would say Corbyn's comments about that mural are a problem. The fact he had Passover dinner with Jewish people is not a problem, and it's laughable to claim it is.
    The whole thing is only of interest to sad geeky political nerds, the majority of people don't give a toss, have more to bother them and are bored to tears. We get that the Tories hate Jeremy, but please get a grip.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

felix said:

Journalists used to have what they called Rentaquote MPs, usually Tory hang-em and flog-em backbenchers, who would provide a soundbite for any story.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

O/T, but I've just bet on the Conservatives to hold Barnet at 7/2. That's definitely the value bet (Labour are 1/5)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641
    rkrkrk said:

Surely not...
    I did get 3000/1, but don't think that I tipped it here!

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

Is it not classical? I have a vague memory of Sir Humphrey saying it in Greek, or possibly Latin.
    The quote is over a century old though who first said it is uncertain. There is a similar quote in the Bible from Proverbs:

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue.

Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

rkrkrk said:

Surely not...

I did once win at 210/1 - though I had cashed out most of it - plus 200/1 on Corbyn the first time - again cashed.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
  • Options
    Foxy said:

rkrkrk said:

Surely not...

Good point.
    And at the time I would have laughed at you for throwing your money away.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,156

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

The quote is over a century old though who first said it is uncertain. There is a similar quote in the Bible from Proverbs:

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue.

Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.
    source
    https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/05/17/remain-silent/
  • Options
    Nadine Dorries won't be appearing on Have I Got News for You again:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43630295
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

New forecast from Electoral Calculus based on March opinion polls:

Con 309
    Lab 265
    LD 13
    SNP 40

Con 42.3%
    Lab 41.0%
    LD 7.4%

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/homepage.html

Does anyone in their right mind pay even the slightest bit of attention to midterm polls anymore?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

felix said:

Journalists used to have what they called Rentaquote MPs, usually Tory hang-em and flog-em backbenchers, who would provide a soundbite for any story.
    A certain Mr Beaumont-Dark comes to mind.....
  • Options

Foxy said:

rkrkrk said:

Surely not...

I did once win at 210/1 - though I had cashed out most of it - plus 200/1 on Corbyn the first time - again cashed.
    I put a bit on Hickenlooper at 300/1 when DH tipped it a few moths back. At this point in the race I would only back longshot outsiders, particularly with the favourites so flawed.

My other outsider is Evan McMullan at 500/1. He ran in Utah last time, he may do so more widely.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Ross Kempsell - @rosskempsell: ‘He didn’t look closely enough’
    ‘He was on the move’
    ‘He was on a smart phone’
    ‘It was his night off’
    ‘His office didn’t know he was there’
    ‘He was not acting as leader at that time’

Jeremy Corbyn’s excuses/lines are now the political equivalent of ‘my dog ate my homework’
  • Options
    Anazina said:

AndyJS said:

Con 309
    Lab 265
    LD 13
    SNP 40

Con 42.3%
    Lab 41.0%
    LD 7.4%

Does anyone in their right mind pay even the slightest bit of attention to midterm polls anymore?
    Oppositions that go on to win generally establish a clear lead between 9 months and two years after the prior election.

We have entered that phase, though there is quite a long time to go.
  • Options

Anazina said:

AndyJS said:

Con 309
    Lab 265
    LD 13
    SNP 40

Con 42.3%
    Lab 41.0%
    LD 7.4%

Oppositions that go on to win generally establish a clear lead between 9 months and two years after the prior election.

We have entered that phase, though there is quite a long time to go.
    I don't even think history is any guide any more. Oppositions that are 25 points behind at the start of a campaign don't "generally" go on to make a hung parliament. But there we are.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Nadine is going all soft and cuddly in her later years. I noted the other day that she regrets her gay marriage vote and is now pro.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

rkrkrk said:

Surely not...

Good point.
    And at the time I would have laughed at you for throwing your money away.
    I have a bet at similar odds most seasons for a quid, but also a bit of insurance by betting on relegation. At least the winnings would pay for my Season Ticket.

I think our owners are targeting top 6 for next season, though whether Puel can achieve that, I am not so sure.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Anazina said:

AndyJS said:

Con 309
    Lab 265
    LD 13
    SNP 40

Con 42.3%
    Lab 41.0%
    LD 7.4%

The polls weren't as bad as you seem to think at GE2017. They got the Tory share pretty much spot on.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616
    "Murdoch proposes Sky News sale to Disney"

I always thought it was a bit of a Micky Mouse operation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43626213
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Anazina said:

AndyJS said:

Con 309
    Lab 265
    LD 13
    SNP 40

Con 42.3%
    Lab 41.0%
    LD 7.4%

The polls weren't as bad as you seem to think at GE2017. They got the Tory share pretty much spot on.
    I didn't say they were.

My implication was that *midterm* polls are almost worthless.

They are.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

I think Nadine has a point, the rather overused format of panel shows does seem hard on women. It suits more the testosterone charged banter of male comedians. Very few comedians can cope with Hislop or Merton either.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited April 2018

felix said:
    What a horrible woman.

MP Naz Shah "should resign" after sharing tweet telling sex abuse victims to "keep their mouths shut"

http://www.rotherhamadvertiser.co.uk/news/view,mp-naz-shah-should-resign-after-sharing-tweet-telling-sex-abuse-victims-to-keep-their-mouths-shut_23593.htm

Naz Shah: My words were anti-Semitic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-36802075
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    Foxy said:

rkrkrk said:

Surely not...

You mentioned that you’d got it, but IIRC you didn’t tip it. Mind some people on here can be cruel when they see a real long shot being tipped, so it’s understandable.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Foxy said:

Danny565 said:

I think Nadine has a point, the rather overused format of panel shows does seem hard on women. It suits more the testosterone charged banter of male comedians. Very few comedians can cope with Hislop or Merton either.
    Quite interesting that he Conservative MP for Bedford has an 'agent'. If she spent as much time as she should being an MP I'm sure she wouldn't need the representation of an agent
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Anazina said:

AndyJS said:

Anazina said:

AndyJS said:

Con 309
    Lab 265
    LD 13
    SNP 40

Con 42.3%
    Lab 41.0%
    LD 7.4%

I didn't say they were.

They are.
    Not if you're a council or mayoral candidate, they're not.

For that matter, not if you're an MP looking forward to the next election either. There will, no doubt, be myths told within Labour about 2017, much as there were in the Tory Party about 1992, on how it can and will all come right during the campaign. In truth, usually public opinion shifts much less than happened in those exceptions, whether because it's more set or because there's less that happens to shift it.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,614
    I am absolutely certain there can be no connection at all between the publication of documents showing a 'routine and deliberate' failure to disclose evidence to defense lawyers...
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/police-are-trained-to-hide-vital-evidence-cnfdbm6jz
    .. and the resignation of a certain Alison Saunders.
  • Options
    Listen to Radio 4 Scotspeople! A very interesting piece by my cousin on Trumps golf course...
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616

Anazina said:

AndyJS said:

Anazina said:

AndyJS said:

Con 309
    Lab 265
    LD 13
    SNP 40

Con 42.3%
    Lab 41.0%
    LD 7.4%

I didn't say they were.

They are.
    Not if you're a council or mayoral candidate, they're not.

Unless your opponent is a self-styled "Independent", "Ratepayer" or "Residents' Association" candidate, in which case you're better off pointing at dog turds on the High Street.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Nigelb said:

I am absolutely certain there can be no connection at all between the publication of documents showing a 'routine and deliberate' failure to disclose evidence to defense lawyers...
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/police-are-trained-to-hide-vital-evidence-cnfdbm6jz

If it's routine and deliberate, how is that not a crime?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I thought he said something similarish on the Today program this morning ?

• Options
  • Options
    Roger said:

Listen to Radio 4 Scotspeople! A very interesting piece by my cousin on Trumps golf course...

you mean its successful or is he getting to build his second course.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited April 2018
    Foxy said:

Danny565 said:

Though he plays the fool in HIGNFY, Paul Merton is actually one of the quickest and most intelligent wits about though, I didn't realise just how fast he was till I fancied a change from R5L and listened to "Just a Minute" on the way home the last few months. As you say (And I think for him in particular) there aren't many comedians of either sex that can keep up.
  • Options
    OT. Having just had lunch with two friends I took the opportunity of asking them what they knew of the 'Jewish blood libel' Both looked blank. They had no idea what I was talking about.

As I only had a slight idea I looked it up when I got back. Apparently it refers to the practice of removing the blood of murdered gentile children to help kneed the unleavened bread at Passover. Cyclefree thought this was a grotesque example of anti-semitism (which of course it would be)

My question is whether anyone has ever heard of this example of anti-Semitism and if they have how it could possibly relate to the case against Corbyn and Labour?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,000
    Anazina said:

Danny565 said:

Nadine is going all soft and cuddly in her later years. I noted the other day that she regrets her gay marriage vote and is now pro.
    I misread that as "she regrets her gay marriage."

Nadine is gay???
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Danny565 said:

Though he plays the fool in HIGNFY, Paul Merton is actually one of the quickest and most intelligent wits about though, I didn't realise just how fast he was till I fancied a change from R5L and listened to "Just a Minute" on the way home the last few months. As you say (And I think for him in particular) there aren't many comedians of either sex that can keep up.
    I think Victoria Coren is one of the better ones (of either sex) at keeping up Hislop and Merton, of the episodes I've seen in the last few years. Jo Brand is usually good too.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Roger said:

No. She was a guest of the anti movement. An environmentalist who lives in Aberdeen and was one of those leading the protests. Though I wouldn't say it to her I have mixed feelings
  • Options
    Roger said:

OT. Having just had lunch with two friends I took the opportunity of asking them what they knew of the 'Jewish blood libel' Both looked blank. They had no idea what I was talking about.

As I only had a slight idea I looked it up when I got back. Apparently it refers to the practice of removing the blood of murdered gentile children to help kneed the unleavened bread at Passover. Cyclefree thought this was a grotesque example of anti-semitism (which of course it would be)

My question is whether anyone has ever heard of this example of anti-Semitism and if they have how it could possibly relate to the case against Corbyn and Labour?

I bet no-one has ever heard of it.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Nigelb said:

She's not resigning. She is comming to the end of her contract.
  • Options
    Roger said:

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

No. She was a guest of the anti movement. An environmentalist who lives in Aberdeen and was one of those leading the protests. Though I wouldn't say it to her I have mixed feelings
    Never see much up here on it , seems to be just a few of the original critics still against it. Last I heard the expectation was he would get to build his second course.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    Roger said:

You're Jewish, right? And you only had a slight idea of what the blood libel was?

You make Dr Pangloss sound like Morrissey.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Danny565 said:

I think Victoria Coren is one of the better ones (of either sex) at keeping up Hislop and Merton, of the episodes I've seen in the last few years. Jo Brand is usually good too.
    Given most of them are recorded and practised beforehand even if live it is not hard to look good. Anyone can learn a script.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    Roger said:

I looked it up recently, but I think from probably a few years earlier I had heard of the basic idea. Not quite the detail but a basic knowledge that Jewish groups would get lynched (for want of a better word) and the false accusation was around killing children for some specific Jewish reason. Although I put this down to being generally interested in history and debating politics on an international website (not sure where I picked it up exactly though, maybe Nazi history)

I would be surprised if I could find many people at all around my age who knew of it even in the most basic terms in my normal life.

I think the accusation is he has shared a stage or an organisation with someone who has supported the idea of, or even made, a blood libel.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

LOL!
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Roger said:

I knew of it but only as a medieval thing.
  • Options
    Foxy said:
    He is and therefore a very poor judge of anti semitism. Leave it to those with an agenda. They know best.
  • Options
    The scientist confirmed it is a military grade nerve agent produced by a nation state and that other information only available to the government is needed to confirm the origin
  • Options
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

LOL!
    LOL! x2
  • Options

The scientist confirmed it is a military grade nerve agent produced by a nation state and that other information only available to the government is needed to confirm the origin
    Why didn't it work, though?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Danny565 said:

That new quiz she does is fiendishly difficult.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    edited April 2018
    TOPPING said:

Why didn't it work, though?
    I have no idea but it is no doubt likely the dosage.

Also there is no antidote
  • Options
    If...IF this turned out to be wrong info from the government albeit because our intelligence services -oxymoron alert- got it wrong again I would guess May would have to resign pronto!
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Apologies - I ought to have said her decision to 'step down', and not seek a further term.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43614793
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Danny565 said:

I applied to go on that. Our team (codesmiths) were rejected, probably for getting too many answers right while providing too little entertainment. To say the auditions were low-tech is an understatement: we had to 'buzz' in using an unloaded stapler.

One question I remember: what is fourth in this sequence: 3125; ?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Danny565 said:

I applied to go on that. Our team (codesmiths) were rejected, probably for getting too many answers right while providing too little entertainment. To say the auditions were low-tech is an understatement: we had to 'buzz' in using an unloaded stapler.

13?
    :smile:
  • Options
    Roger said:

If...IF this turned out to be wrong info from the government albeit because our intelligence services -oxymoron alert- got it wrong again I would guess May would have to resign pronto!
    It is confirmed as a miltary grade nerve agent only produced by a nation state and that other factors known to the government will identify the source.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Scott_P said:

Ross Kempsell - @rosskempsell: ‘He didn’t look closely enough’
    ‘He was on the move’
    ‘He was on a smart phone’
    ‘It was his night off’
    ‘His office didn’t know he was there’
    ‘He was not acting as leader at that time’

Jeremy Corbyn’s excuses/lines are now the political equivalent of ‘my dog ate my homework’

I never saw all those empty seats on the train...

He isn't the messiah, he is just a regular lying politician.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Danny565 said:

• Options
    Andrew said:

Nigelb said:

If it's routine and deliberate, how is that not a crime?

I haven't read the full report, but that is an interesting question.
  • Options

Vindication for Jez?

twitter.com/SkyNews/status/981185227706990592

That will set the the conspiracy theorist lot off again.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Danny565 said:

25 surely, you've given us 5th in the sequence
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Roger said:

I looked it up recently, but I think from probably a few years earlier I had heard of the basic idea. Not quite the detail but a basic knowledge that Jewish groups would get lynched (for want of a better word) and the false accusation was around killing children for some specific Jewish reason. Although I put this down to being generally interested in history and debating politics on an international website (not sure where I picked it up exactly though, maybe Nazi history)

I would be surprised if I could find many people at all around my age who knew of it even in the most basic terms in my normal life.

I think the accusation is he has shared a stage or an organisation with someone who has supported the idea of, or even made, a blood libel.
    It's the subject of The Prioress's Tale.

An especially devout boy is murdered by "Cursed Jewes" who can't bear the hymns that he sings. Miraculously, he comes back to life, and identifies his murderers. The story has a happy ending, as the Jews are then hanged, drawn, and quartered.
  • Options
    Once upon a time watching at home I was very please to get the "what links these four things?" after one option, "Combined English Universities"...
This discussion has been closed.