Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Introducing the new Confident Corbyn

124»

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

I wonder what percentage of people have travelled on a plane in anything other than economy class. 1%? 2%? 0.5%?

25% have never flown at all according to this article:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/a-quarter-of-britons-have-never-been-on-a-plane-visited-a-beach-or-european-capital/

"Twenty-two percent of Britons have never travelled on a plane and one in four have never visited a capital city in Europe, while nearly a third (29 per cent) have never travelled outside of Europe, and a fifth have never been to a beach, according to new research."

So 71% have travelled outside of Europe. That's a lot higher than I would have expected.
    According to Yougov most Britons who have travelled outside Europe went to the USA and Canada, with 44% having visited North America. 30% of Britons have been to Africa, 27% to Asia, 14% to Australia and 12% to South America.
    https://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/11/21/british-people-far-more-well-travelled-americans/
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

I wonder what percentage of people have travelled on a plane in anything other than economy class. 1%? 2%? 0.5%?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/a-quarter-of-britons-have-never-been-on-a-plane-visited-a-beach-or-european-capital/

"Twenty-two percent of Britons have never travelled on a plane and one in four have never visited a capital city in Europe, while nearly a third (29 per cent) have never travelled outside of Europe, and a fifth have never been to a beach, according to new research."

I would imagine it is the 1% who most frequently fly in exclusive plane classes designed for the top 1% of earners.

'Kayak’s survey also revealed that France was the country most visited by Britons, with 68 per cent having been there in their lifetime, followed by Spain (63 per cent), Italy (44 per cent), the US (42 per cent) and Germany (41 per cent)'
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

I would imagine it is the 1% who most frequently fly in exclusive plane classes designed for the top 1% of earners.

'Kayak’s survey also revealed that France was the country most visited by Britons, with 68 per cent having been there in their lifetime, followed by Spain (63 per cent), Italy (44 per cent), the US (42 per cent) and Germany (41 per cent)'
    Why so many Brit’s want to visit a shithole country like France is beyond me*!

* joking obvs.
    Well firstly it is the nearest, bar Ireland and secondly it has Paris, skiing and warm sunny beaches in the south and great food and wine
    I agree with all of that, except Paris...that is a shithole.
    It is not as beautiful as Rome I will give you that
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

* joking obvs.
    Well firstly it is the nearest, bar Ireland and secondly it has Paris, skiing and warm sunny beaches in the south and great food and wine
    Great wine, sure. Not sure about the great food any more. Had some pretty mediocre meals there in a way you just don't get in Italy...
    It depends where you go and what you order
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

* joking obvs.
    It is not as beautiful as Rome I will give you that
    Given the number of French in London, I am going to guess my opinion isn’t unique.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

So 71% have travelled outside of Europe. That's a lot higher than I would have expected.
    According to Yougov most Britons who have travelled outside Europe went to the USA and Canada, with 44% having visited North America. 30% of Britons have been to Africa, 27% to Asia, 14% to Australia and 12% to South America.
    https://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/11/21/british-people-far-more-well-travelled-americans/
    44% to North America? That seems an incredibly high figure. I would definitely treat that poll with caution.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    RoyalBlue said:

The most interesting part of that Kayak survey is that less than half the population went abroad in the previous year. It’s so easy to live in bubbles, especially those like PB that are so pleasant :smile:

Does this include Yorkshire folk travelling outside of gods own country?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

* joking obvs.
    You ski on warm sunny beaches?
    Some of the biggest Alpine ski resorts around Lyon are in the South
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Mortimer said:

Great wine, sure. Not sure about the great food any more. Had some pretty mediocre meals there in a way you just don't get in Italy...

You can get excellent food in France, it's just not cheap.

What's worsened materially is the quality of French bistro cooking*. You used to be able to walk in to any French cafe or informal restaurant and get good, inexpensive food.

And that's not really true anymore.

* I wonder if some of it is relative decline: in that British food has gotten so much better.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    New thread.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

* joking obvs.
    You ski on warm sunny beaches?
    Some of the biggest Alpine ski resorts around Lyon are in the South
    They'd have to be in the south, otherwise they wouldn't be near Lyon...
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980

RoyalBlue said:

The most interesting part of that Kayak survey is that less than half the population went abroad in the previous year. It’s so easy to live in bubbles, especially those like PB that are so pleasant :smile:

Does this include Yorkshire folk travelling outside of gods own country?
    Calls to mind the Hale and Pace 'Yorkshire Airline' sketch - never rated H&P, but that one was genuinely funny.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

The increasing frequency with which the government is saying there won't be a second referendum leads one to believe there will.
    twitter.com/Channel4News/status/969898507141373954

Nothing to do with the media keep asking the question....
    The media are asking the question because it is increasingly looking like Brexit can't be delivered.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,016
    Off-topic:

I know I dislike Apple, but this isn't me... ;)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/02/apple_bus_shooting/
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

44% to North America? That seems an incredibly high figure. I would definitely treat that poll with caution.
    It matches the Kayak poll where 42% have been to the USA.

It is not that surprising to see almost half of Britons have been to New York City, Washington DC, Chicago, Florida, the Grand Canyon or California at least once in their lifetime
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,848

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

* joking obvs.
    Paris is great. What’s wrong with it?
    Am there right now and it’s as charming as ever.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

RoyalBlue said:

That is surprising, given you can still get a £30 return flights to Europe.
    The last time I personally went on a conventional holiday abroad was four years ago, and I can't see myself doing it for many years to come. A holiday abroad would eat up about a significant percentage of our total gross family household income. Plus, it's a massive hassle: going to the airport, getting the flight, organising all the accommodation etc, going somewhere you don't know. Whats the point, when you can go somewhere in the UK? Its a beautiful country. Many of my colleagues (middle ranking public sector) have exactly the same perspective.

I say this as a remain voter.

The woman in the Kayak survey is irritating. So is much of the bulls**t from the travel industry. At one point, they had an advert campaign suggesting that people should go on five foreign holidays a year, a play on five a portions of fruit and veg per day, implying that that there was something intrinsically healthy about foreign travel. Getting on an easyjet flight, staying in a hotel and sitting around drinking coffee on some European city break doesn't broaden the mind. Reading a book does.

• Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

It matches the Kayak poll where 42% have been to the USA.

It is not that surprising to see almost half of Britons have been to New York City, Washington DC, Chicago, Florida, the Grand Canyon or California at least once in their lifetime
    4 million Brits visit the US every year - and a few will visit Canada too. As you say this covers an entire lifetime - even if you only went once twenty years ago.

So 44 per cent over an entire lifetime isn't that hard to imagine being correct.
This discussion has been closed.