Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What makes people proud to be British by party and Brexit choi

Comments

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946

As I understand it 17 Labour Councillors are against the HDV.

Under Labour rules because the Labour group agreed to proceed with the HDV by 20 to 17 if the 17 voted against it they would be automatically suspended by Labour for 6 months and therefore not able to stand in May 18 elections.

Bigger picture most important the 17 plus 7 other Left Candidates (replacing 7 of the 20 Blairites) stand and win in May.
    But you again ignore the bullying and intimidation - I have no comment on the rights and wrongs of the decision but labour under Corbyn is becoming the nasty party
    And now they have voted to delay a decision until after May.

What did you say earlier good on them.

I do not make excuses for any bullying but there are 2 sides to this story some argue Clare Kober was bully in chief.
    You really need to accept labour are becoming the nasty party - there are more examples day by day
    The ability to hold your elective representatives to account is an important part of the democratic process.

Those who think they are entitled to a job for life seem to have a problem with being held to as they havent been used to it seem to run to the MSM screaming BULLY.

In my experience its the powerful that are the bullies not those challenging years of ineptitude.

I do not support however anyone bullying, using sexist, rascist or homophobic language in challenging their Comrades.
    Accountability comes through the ballot box, right?
  • Options
    If anyone wondered about Sky and Brexit the 10.00 news was pure anti Brexit with no emphasis on the 15 year forecasts giving the impression that the negatives would hit almost immediately
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Pong said:

I loathe Nick Timothy more than I loathe Mark Reckless.

He's a very very smart chap. As someone on the liberal left, I regard him as one of the most dangerous conservatives out there. All that was needed for his strategy to work, was for the party not to blink.

They flunked it.
    So smart he writes a manifesto that was the biggest own goal since the longest suicide note in history circa 1983. The man is obviously too clever by half!
  • Options

Under Labour rules because the Labour group agreed to proceed with the HDV by 20 to 17 if the 17 voted against it they would be automatically suspended by Labour for 6 months and therefore not able to stand in May 18 elections.

Bigger picture most important the 17 plus 7 other Left Candidates (replacing 7 of the 20 Blairites) stand and win in May.
    But you again ignore the bullying and intimidation - I have no comment on the rights and wrongs of the decision but labour under Corbyn is becoming the nasty party

I do not make excuses for any bullying but there are 2 sides to this story some argue Clare Kober was bully in chief.
    You really need to accept labour are becoming the nasty party - there are more examples day by day
    The ability to hold your elective representatives to account is an important part of the democratic process.

Those who think they are entitled to a job for life seem to have a problem with being held to as they havent been used to it seem to run to the MSM screaming BULLY.

In my experience its the powerful that are the bullies not those challenging years of ineptitude.

I do not support however anyone bullying, using sexist, rascist or homophobic language in challenging their Comrades.
    So you condemn John McDonnell's language on Esther McVey
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,871
    Mortimer said:

It does but it is up to party members to decide who represents their party and is on the ballot.

I do not believe in life long entitlement to be a Labour candidate.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,856

If anyone wondered about Sky and Brexit the 10.00 news was pure anti Brexit with no emphasis on the 15 year forecasts giving the impression that the negatives would hit almost immediately

Already hitting us.

Maybe not in North Wales yet, where I imagine economic growth hasn’t been bouyant since the 1890s.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

It does but it is up to party members to decide who represents their party and is on the ballot.

I do not believe in life long entitlement to be a Labour candidate.
    I agree with your last sentence for any politician including the Lords
  • Options

I thought it was a silly joke.

If he meant it literally yes I would condemn it.
  • Options
    So all Hitler had to do to win the war was promise to create the NHS. Ditto Napoleon and Philip II.

Likewise Charles I and John could have destroyed all attempts at political reform by instead creating the NHS.
  • Options

Already hitting us.

Maybe not in North Wales yet, where I imagine economic growth hasn’t been bouyant since the 1890s.
    Well Labour has been in power forever
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2018
    I think it's a good idea for the national religion to be criticised, scrutinised.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2018

Shocked by this, SHOCKED.

twitter.com/PENamerican/status/960889768774168576

Who decides what is right wing? Cos I see the guardian are having yet another go at Jordan Peterson today, after initially calling him the stupid mans intellectual now apparently he is a nasty right winger. He is a very odd right winger who is big into a larger state with things like universal basic income.
  • Options

To be fair BJO it was not a joke, is on record, and TM called on him to apologise to EM at PMQ's today
  • Options
    Does anyone know if other countries have this obsessive worship of their healthcare systems ?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,666
    Foreign Jewish financial mastermind is pulling the strings to betray the sturdy British yeomanry?

I await the cries of anti-semitism aimed at the Daily Telegraph from the PB chatterati...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    edited February 2018
    AndyJS said:

I think it's a good idea for the national religion to be criticised, scrutinised.

If this country were ever to experience a coup, it wouldn’t be led by the generals but by the medics.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,723
    SeanT said:

I think the differences that appear between Leave and Remain voters - which are not that big, as you say - are just side-effects of the differences in demographics in the referendum. Having a big empire is a more appealing thought for older conservatives than young lefties, legalisation of homosxuality the reverse, and older conservatives tended to vote Leave much more than young lefties.

My 22 year old wife is literally unable to understand why I am proud that Britain kicked the shit out of every other country on earth, for about 300 years, and had the largest empire that was, and ever will be, and all this within living memory.

This kinda stuff gives me THE HORN. We are THE warrior nation. Without peer. In terms of macho pride Britain is IT. We would have probably invaded the moon if we hadn't been too hungover. We WON.

For her its a kind of madness.

Pfff!
    The British Empire was pretty weird if you think about it. It came from nowhere and went nowhere. China has been a top dog for a couple of millennia. They had a bad patch in the 19th and 20th centuries but that's a blink of an eye if you take the long view of history and they are pretty much back up there now. The Mediterranean has always seen important civilisations. Same for most of history in Mesopotamia and North India.

I guess we are like the Mongols. A brilliant trail of destruction and then a return to the normal state of torpor.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    AndyJS said:

+1
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foreign Jewish financial mastermind is pulling the strings to betray the sturdy British yeomanry?

I await the cries of anti-semitism aimed at the Daily Telegraph from the PB chatterati...
    I remember the denial of the Leavers when I posted the Leave.EU tweet that had Soros as the puppet master of the world.
  • Options
    And I notice that the industrial revolution doesn't feature in the list of things to be proud of.

Although if it did I'm sure I wouldn't be impressed by the answers.
  • Options

To be fair BJO it was not a joke, is on record, and TM called on him to apologise to EM at PMQ's today
    If it wasnt a joke its a disgraceful thing to say.

GO;s freezer comment takes some beating but surely that was a joke too.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Why would anyone accuse the DT of being anti-Semitic?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822

Mortimer said:

Just saw the telegraph story online - but now it seems to have gone again??

What was it?
    Worth staying up for? I suspect not...
    https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/961358380978921472
    He's probably right though...
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

John_M said:

Good evening all.

- Declaring war when Belgium's neutrality was violated.
    - The Africa squadron (not only did we abolish slavery, we tried to stop others too)
    - The GRA.

Historian, Professor David Richardson, has calculated that British ships carried 3.4 million or more enslaved Africans to the Americas.

http://abolition.e2bn.org/slavery_45.html

Between 1808 and 1860 the West Africa Squadron captured 1,600 slave ships and freed 150,000 Africans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Africa_Squadron

Like I said, asymmetrical.
    You might be interested in this - not sure if it conforms to your understanding of the history of the slave trade or not...

https://www.politico.eu/article/portugal-slave-trade-confronts-its-past/
  • Options

Foxy said:

Why would anyone accuse the DT of being anti-Semitic?
    The headline is rather Protocols of Zion.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I think the differences that appear between Leave and Remain voters - which are not that big, as you say - are just side-effects of the differences in demographics in the referendum. Having a big empire is a more appealing thought for older conservatives than young lefties, legalisation of homosxuality the reverse, and older conservatives tended to vote Leave much more than young lefties.

My 22 year old wife is literally unable to understand why I am proud that Britain kicked the shit out of every other country on earth, for about 300 years, and had the largest empire that was, and ever will be, and all this within living memory.

This kinda stuff gives me THE HORN. We are THE warrior nation. Without peer. In terms of macho pride Britain is IT. We would have probably invaded the moon if we hadn't been too hungover. We WON.

Pfff!
    Explain to her that if it wasn't for that history she would now be a lot poorer, possibly speaking a different language, maybe working as a cleaner in China and definately not married to a best selling millionaire author.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Isn’t Soros the Jew the perpetual target of the Eastern European far right?

• Options

If it wasnt a joke its a disgraceful thing to say.

GO;s freezer comment takes some beating but surely that was a joke too.
    GO owes TM an apology as well. The climate has changed and especially men's abusive comments to women
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,477
    edited February 2018

Foxy said:

Isn’t Soros the Jew the perpetual target of the Eastern European far right?

Yup and Leave.EU
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Well its you who has mentioned that he is Jewish.

Do you Corbyn fans have a list of who is or is not a Jew ?
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited February 2018
    FF43 said:

SeanT said:

Pfff!
    The British Empire was pretty weird if you think about it. It came from nowhere and went nowhere. China has been a top dog for a couple of millennia. They had a bad patch in the 19th and 20th centuries but that's a blink of an eye if you take the long view of history and they are pretty much back up there now. The Mediterranean has always seen important civilisations. Same for most of history in Mesopotamia and North India.

I guess we are like the Mongols. A brilliant trail of destruction and then a return to the normal state of torpor.
    If you wanted to be a good European, you might say that while all the colonial empires are long dead, and in the long run it’s likely that European countries will have limited power beyond their own continent, the dividends of cultural imperialism will continue to be paid.

85% of the world has been subject to a European power. The Roman alphabet and European languages are predominant, and likely to grow in international importance. The forms (if not substance) of European governments are nearly universal. The planting of Christianity in the Americas and Africa has helped to propagate European culture yet further.

I don’t think the Mongols achieved that, or that the Chinese are likely to.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

You can listen to what he said here:
    https://twitter.com/daily_politics/status/952504692684173313

For me - its fairly obvious he doesn't actually want to lynch Esther McVey (I think it was even said at a comedy event)... but it's a horrible thing to say, and he should apologise.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Just this week, I have seen both a member of the HoL and a convicted murderer handcuffed to two guards in my clinic.

You can't be too careful with those ermine clad weasels.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy is a LD
  • Options

Foxy said:

We all became aware of his Jewishness when Leavers used this well known anti-Semitic trope

https://twitter.com/LeaveEUOfficial/status/931162191394467840
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

For me - its fairly obvious he doesn't actually want to lynch Esther McVey (I think it was even said at a comedy event)... but it's a horrible thing to say, and he should apologise.
    And it isnt a one off...He has form.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Ishmael_Z said:

John_M said:

Good evening all.

- Declaring war when Belgium's neutrality was violated.
    - The Africa squadron (not only did we abolish slavery, we tried to stop others too)
    - The GRA.

Historian, Professor David Richardson, has calculated that British ships carried 3.4 million or more enslaved Africans to the Americas.

http://abolition.e2bn.org/slavery_45.html

Between 1808 and 1860 the West Africa Squadron captured 1,600 slave ships and freed 150,000 Africans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Africa_Squadron

Like I said, asymmetrical.
    You might be interested in this - not sure if it conforms to your understanding of the history of the slave trade or not...

https://www.politico.eu/article/portugal-slave-trade-confronts-its-past/
    I knew that Portugal was an even bigger player than we were. The suggestion that they dropped out of the equation at an early stage leaving Africa and Brazil to deal directly with each other is new to me, and I don't believe it. I would have thought it was easily tested by looking at the size of the shipbuilding industry in the relevant countries.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

SeanT said:

Pfff!

In both cases driven by technology (compound bow, cannon & rifles), determination and luck (hollowed out opponents, emergent capitalism & the industrial revolution).

So - who's going to get Space & Mars? USA or China?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2yN_HIxLzI
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

If this country were ever to experience a coup, it wouldn’t be led by the generals but by the medics.
    Doctors always used to be pretty right-wing, but that might have changed recently.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    rkrkrk said:

I've always thought Esther McVey is pretty innocuous. I don't understand the hatred that left wingers have for her.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    I’ve just noticed that Nick Timothy is credited for the Soros story...
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited February 2018
    AndyJS said:
    Mr Meeks will be along in a minute to tell us only racists pretend that this isn’t all lies and the EU is just stringing these countries along.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rkrkrk said:

I've always thought Esther McVey is pretty innocuous. I don't understand the hatred that left wingers have for her.
    Well so is lauraK and in this era of kinder gentler politics she needs a bodyguard.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2018
    Being proud that the country created the NHS is like being proud of the local government reorganisation of 1972: it was an administrative measure, not a very well-thought out one, and one which, because of its flaws, continues to cause difficulties decades later.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy is a LD
    An LD who has become a big Corbyn, albeit not Labour, fan.

Partly I expect because Cable doesn't impress him but I wonder if Foxy is having guilt feelings of having voted Conservative in 2010. At least I think he said he did.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

AndyJS said:
    Popular move or what. Free movement for Roma and Muslims from Kosova, Bosnia, Albania etc, right across the EU to Calais.

I can see this going down a storm with voters in, say, France and Germany, who have recently supported Le Pen and AFD in unprecedented numbers, or, say, the Austrians, Poles and Hungarians who have actively elected Islamophobic governments.

Does the EU have a deathwish in its DNA? I sometimes wonder.
    I think the Commission genuinely don't care about little people. Poorer entrant countries act as clients and supporters of the Commission - perpetuating the system.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I don't know much about her - but I can easily understand why people are angry about the Tories' welfare policies. Some of the stories of what has happened to disabled people are heartbreaking.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

As I said I thought it was a silly joke and from 2014

This clip confirms it was but in the current febrile climate clearly even joking about killing a fellow MP is pretty stupid
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Foxy said:

twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/961361311400628225

We all became aware of his Jewishness when Leavers used this well known anti-Semitic trope

twitter.com/LeaveEUOfficial/status/931162191394467840
    Puppeteering is a well-known anti-Semitic trope?
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

This clip confirms it was but in the current febrile climate clearly even joking about killing a fellow MP is pretty stupid
    He should apologise privately and publicly.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/07/billionaire-george-soros-backs-campaign-to-reverse-brexit
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

SeanT said:

AndyJS said:
    Popular move or what. Free movement for Roma and Muslims from Kosova, Bosnia, Albania etc, right across the EU to Calais.

I can see this going down a storm with voters in, say, France and Germany, who have recently supported Le Pen and AFD in unprecedented numbers, or, say, the Austrians, Poles and Hungarians who have actively elected Islamophobic governments.

I think the Commission genuinely don't care about little people. Poorer entrant countries act as clients and supporters of the Commission - perpetuating the system.
    The Commission was specifically designed to be immune from popular pressure. That’s why the European Parliament is the only one in the world that cannot initiate legislation. Everything has to start with the Commission. It’s like a government that can’t be voted out. The top team is decided by the Member States, but the vast bulk of personnel do not change. It is a Gosplan for our times.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Erdogan has recently reiterated that only full membership will do, and he's been invited to attend the next EU summit at Varna. Thus, the dance continues.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-eu-turkey-summit/eu-leaders-to-host-turkeys-erdogan-the-estranged-uncle-they-cant-shut-out-idUKKBN1FR1ZG
  • Options

True, it's not as serious as his and Corbyn's support for those who actually did kill fellow MPs and maim their wives.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    rkrkrk said:

Sean_F said:

I don't know much about her - but I can easily understand why people are angry about the Tories' welfare policies. Some of the stories of what has happened to disabled people are heartbreaking.
    The Conservatives inherited a budget deficit of £157 bn. *Something* had to be done to reduce it, and everybody got hit.
  • Options

SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

Think of all that lovely cheap labour to keep wages down !
  • Options

Being proud that the country created the NHS is like being proud of the local government reorganisation of 1972: it was an administrative measure, not a very well-thought out one, and one which, because of its flaws, continues to cause difficulties decades later.

The only administrative measure to turn into a religion.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    edited February 2018
    RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

The Commission was specifically designed to be immune from popular pressure. That’s why the European Parliament is the only one in the world that cannot initiate legislation. Everything has to start with the Commission. It’s like a government that can’t be voted out. The top team is decided by the Member States, but the vast bulk of personnel do not change. It is a Gosplan for our times.
    We can't have the people deciding what legislation is good for them, can we? That just wouldn't be proper. :D
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rkrkrk said:

Sean_F said:

The Conservatives inherited a budget deficit of £157 bn. *Something* had to be done to reduce it, and everybody got hit.
    Did FTSE 100 Directors?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,340
    SeanT said:

Pfff!
    I'm sort of with her, as you'd expect, but mainly it seems a bit too much living in the past, like Orangemen and Shinners arguing about who did what in 1916 or Russians hankering after the Soviet Union. These days, we're a minor power at peace with more or less everyone, and arguably we're better off for it. Anti-imperialism in the classic sense seems almost as dated as imperialism, too - I genuinely don't care if Rhodes has a statue or not. Nowadays, worrying about multinational companies makes more sense than worrying about countries wanting to do us harm.
  • Options

Foxy said:

I'm not picking up on the Jewish imagery in that picture.

I already knew that Soros is Jewish but he doesn't have a Jewish name and the 'Open Society Foundation' could be anyone.

Is it the puppet on a strings imagery ?

If so that, to me at least, is far more reminiscent of the Godfather films:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GODFATHER-Marlon-Brando/dp/B00FZCCSZI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518043780&sr=8-1&keywords=godfather&dpID=514N7q-ft%2BL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

And while Vita Corleone is a sinister puppetmaster he certainly wasn't Jewish. Nor for that matter was Marlon Brando.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rkrkrk said:

Sean_F said:

I doubt this is even saving much money when you take into account all the appeals and the reinstatements.

And no - everyone did not get hit. Some people have done rather well out of austerity.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,693
    edited February 2018
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

Except when it’s not

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3045279/New-Tory-poster-shows-puppet-master-Nicola-Sturgeon-help-lead-Britain-pulling-Red-Ed-s-strings.html

I didn’t know Nicola was Jewish......
  • Options

that's most of the things on the list Richard
  • Options

Foxy said:

I already knew that Soros is Jewish but he doesn't have a Jewish name and the 'Open Society Foundation' could be anyone.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GODFATHER-Marlon-Brando/dp/B00FZCCSZI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518043780&sr=8-1&keywords=godfather&dpID=514N7q-ft%2BL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

And while Vita Corleone is a sinister puppetmaster he certainly wasn't Jewish. Nor for that matter was Marlon Brando.
    It is anti-Semitic when the target in question is Jewish.

It was widely used by the Nazis (and Stalin) to denigrate the Jews and their critics who were Jewish.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

Pretty much.

https://tinyurl.com/ycwg97pz
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    SeanT said:

Barnesian said:

Foxy said:

Ishmael_Z said:

I will never understand this fetishisation of a way of paying for medical services.

The list is vg those commodities; and even if they were, the cfommodities themselves were the product of slave labour.

Date of Habeas Corpus is out by over 500 years.

The N
    Coup

Very well put. I'm going to save that.
    Yes, agreed. Well phrased. I don't share this fetishisation of the NHS (I reckon it is a decent-to-middling welfare system, much like many in Europe) but I think I do sincerely understand its appeal.

Just before Christmas I was with some old pals for our traditional Xmas drink up. We've been doing it for 35 years, literally - and somehow the tradition has been maintained, from university (mainly UCL and Imperial), through marriages, kids, divorces, deaths - every Xmas a few of us have gathered and got drunk, even though our lives have diverged massively in that time. We are still the old lads. Who squatted Georgian houses on dingy Gower Street (unthinkable now) in the early 1980s. And we had larks.

This time we gathered in the Coach and Horses in Soho. They have a regular there who plays the piano and people are invited to join in and sing famous tunes, Beatles. Stones. usually a few join in for a while, but this time there was extra carols as this time as it was Christmas,

Some strange alchemy occurred that night, the 23rd December 2017, and literally everyone in the pub - 100 people? - joined in the singing, lustily, of every carol and every favourite old British pop song. We all sang for 2-3 hours. It was euphoric. At the end we were all hugging and laughing. Jumpers for goalposts, aye.

I think the NHS is the last version of the old pub singalong. It's the one place where we can all gather together and belt out Let It Be or Hard the Herald and guzzle gin and bitters, as a nation. It's our national knees-up. The one thing we share. And in an increasingly atomised world, we all crave the shared and mass experience, which is so far superior to the individual high. We are a sociable species. We want to be part of the happy crowd.

That's why the NHS (and the monarchy, inter alia) is so popular.

But does everybody have to have that knees-up every Friday night in A&E?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2018
    SeanT said:

Some years ago a PB-er (I'm afraid I regret the name) said that being proud of Britain because of the NHS was like being proud of Britain because of PAYE. At the time I thought this was very funny and very true; it remains so.

[snip]
    That's a better analogy than mine, except that PAYE works rather well.
  • Options

Foxy said:

It was widely used by the Nazis (and Stalin) to denigrate the Jews and their critics who were Jewish.
    And how many of today’s voters have lived under either?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Foxy said:

The NHS is one of many ways of organising health care, some others are better and others are worse. Clearly it has symbolism that appeals to all parties and both sides of Brexit. It is worth speculating why. In some other countries other organs take on similar unifying cultural significance. The flag, Constitution and military in the USA, the Catholic Church in Poland, the Royal family in Thailand, the language in France, etc. Often these too are quite recent.

The NHS has significance because of its fundamental decency, in that all are entitled to the same level of treatment. Just this week, I have seen both a member of the HoL and a convicted murderer handcuffed to two guards in my clinic. Both got the same treatment. I think this chimes with the British sense of fair play, and a primitive sense of communiality that probably predated even the Anglo-Saxons.

Coupled with this is a deep distrust of the profit motive in this context, both from a long history of communal self help in the working classes, and from a distrust of trade, and sense of noblesse oblige in the wealthier classes. Class relations are profound in Britain but usually not as bitter as our European neighbours. No tumbrils or gulags here. Our upper classes have survived where others perished because of this sense of social solidarity.

The NHS is both a product of, and embodiment of, our collective cultural capital. As we know from Brexit, cultural issues trump economic ones. Other systems may have financial or even clinical advantages, but do not have the same unifying ability. Politicians mess with it at their peril.

What saves us from being a dystopian sci fi hell is the fact that private medical care is so crap in this country. You go private to have your varicose veins sorted or your baby delivered, but not to be operated on for cancer, because the freshly squeezed orange juice and grid girl nurses don't compensate for the increased risk of dying. It is odd that this should be the case.
  • Options

RobD said:

Foxy said:

Except when it’s not

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3045279/New-Tory-poster-shows-puppet-master-Nicola-Sturgeon-help-lead-Britain-pulling-Red-Ed-s-strings.html

I didn’t know Nicola was Jewish......

We saw cartoonists portray George W Bush as a chimp.

But none of those cartoonists would portray Barack Obama as a chimp because it is a well known racist trope to portray black men as monkeys.
  • Options

Foxy said:

People have long memories when millions of their parents and grandparents were murdered. As should we
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516

Foxy said:

Oh please. A rich Jewish banker controlling blacks to hurt white people is a well worn stereotype. It was an ugly advert from the Faragists.

The Telegraph article seems fine.
  • Options
    The NHS is merely the conduit from which the great bounties of private sector capitalism in medical endeavours: new drugs, treatments, technology etc are channelled to the public.

The NHS hasn’t invented a cure or treatment in its puff - its a network of garages - not Ford, Tesla or even Volvo.
  • Options

Foxy said:

By that logic we should perpetuate the Holocaust denial myths because few of today's voters have lived under Nazism.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I basically agree. It's all history, and small beer compared to the enormous changes that are coming down the line, for all of humanity, very soon (from AI onwards)

I'm just saying that if actually ASKED why I am proud to be British, our incredible military prowess and remarkable ability to manipulate the entire world, for 300 years, is right at the top. Certainly way ahead of a mediocre heath system.

And our imperial history is no small thing. It has changed the whole world. e.g. The internet - i.e. the future - speaks English. Why? Because this little island kicked the living squits out of every significant global rival from about 1700-1945.

More because this little island (and especially London) was so focused on trade: the military bit - which was mainly the Navy - was a support to that, and the Empire was to a large extent a by-product.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,116
    edited February 2018

Foxy said:

Soros did which may may make him take this sort of thing personally.

Of course one of the favourite tropes of the fruitcakes, loonies and closet racists is that Soros was a Nazi collaborator & even an SS officer, some going for someone who was 14 years old when the war ended.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

SeanT said:

Some years ago a PB-er (I'm afraid I regret the name) said that being proud of Britain because of the NHS was like being proud of Britain because of PAYE. At the time I thought this was very funny and very true; it remains so.

[snip]
    Indeed. It's one of the things I really miss from the UK after having moved to the US. You have to decide for yourself how much income tax to "withhold" from your paycheck and you usually end up either giving Uncle Sam an interest-free loan or finding yourself with a hefty bill in the new year.
  • Options

Foxy said:

So is there a list of approved and unapproved imagery which you are allowed to use to criticize different groups ?

Presumably if Soros had been of Italian or Catholic background then the puppet-master imagery would also have been deemed inadmissable.
  • Options

SeanT said:

[snip]
    Unlike much of HMRC.
  • Options

Foxy said:

By that logic we should perpetuate the Holocaust denial myths because few of today's voters have lived under Nazism.
    The most recent “puppet master” posters voters will have seen was the Sturgeon- Miliband one. Which doesn’t exactly conform to the Nazi stereotype. I skimmed the Telegraph article and am pretty sure it mentions neither Soros religion nor nationality - the Guardian mentions he’s a US citizen.
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516

SeanT said:

I basically agree. It's all history, and small beer compared to the enormous changes that are coming down the line, for all of humanity, very soon (from AI onwards)

I'm just saying that if actually ASKED why I am proud to be British, our incredible military prowess and remarkable ability to manipulate the entire world, for 300 years, is right at the top. Certainly way ahead of a mediocre heath system.

And our imperial history is no small thing. It has changed the whole world. e.g. The internet - i.e. the future - speaks English. Why? Because this little island kicked the living squits out of every significant global rival from about 1700-1945.

More because this little island (and especially London) was so focused on trade: the military bit - which was mainly the Navy - was a support to that, and the Empire was to a large extent a by-product.
    It's a lot easier to have a great navy when you don't have to spend all your military budget on an army to police a big land border.
  • Options

SeanT said:

[snip]
    Unlike much of HMRC.
    I don't know about that, as far as I can see HMRC works very well compared with its equivalents in other countries, and is certainly much easier to deal with than most. Have you seen a US tax form?
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Looks like Alberta has a provincial liquor monopoly, like the Scandi countries and a few US states such as Pennsylvania. It seems that the government has ordered the liquor monopoly not to buy BC wines. I doubt any provincial government[1] has the power to actually ban imports from elsewhere in Canada.

[1] Although you can never be sure with Quebec...
  • Options

Foxy said:

As a self-styled "Good Muslim Boy", TSE could perhaps tell us how many Muslim-majority countries give diplomatic recognition to Israel?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Nonetheless conservatives like us have to recognise that many people feel this way, just as rational republicans have to respect the natonwide popularity of the monarchy (however illogical it seems to them).

The NHS is seen, prima facie, as a great and shared endeavour. It is one of the few big things we all understand, as a nation, and have nearly all experienced, personally. That is why it is "popular", it is fuck all to do with its efficiency - as is obvious, if you drill down into any personal encounter with the NHS, you soon hit the hard rock of critique and dissent.
    Yes, while there are many grumbles, and often legitimate ones including my own, it is undeniable that the system itself has widespread support across the ages and parties.

It is not unrelated to the Blitz spirit, or experience of the trenches or Dunkirk*. The NHS was born of a particular time, for a reason. It was officially created in 1948, but actually British doctors and nurses had almost all been working for a decade as government employees, either in uniform or under the defacto nationalisation of hospitals as a war time measure. The NHS is the visible remnant of that cultural unity.

* Blitz spirit, trenches and Dunkirk are also national mythologies, not always backed up by forensic study. We stood alone in 1940 as the worlds largest empire, with a quarter of the worlds land area and people. We had the grain of Canada, the minerals of Africa and Australia, the multitudes of India and the oil of the Gulf under our control. We were not just a small island off the North Shore of Europe.
  • Options
    Mail mentions neither of Soros religion or nationality:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-5365023/George-Soros-backs-pro-EU-campaign-400-000.html

So far, it’s only the Guardian......
  • Options

Foxy said:

OMG OMG OMG

I've just realised why Conservatives were so obsessed with saying that Ed Miliband had 'stabbed in the back' his brother.

It was a straight echo of the Nazi attack that Jews had 'stabbed in the back' Germany.

A great big dogwhistle that Ed Miliband was Jewish and 'treacherous'.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002
    SeanT said:

It obviously didn't tumesce you to the extent that you felt compelled to pick up a rifle or stand a dog watch yourself. You've never had a number next to your name (prison doesn't count) so your pride is hollow.

• Options
    SeanT said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Foxy said:

The NHS is one of many ways of organising health care, some others are better and others are worse. Clearly it has symbolism that appeals to all parties and both sides of Brexit. It is worth speculating why. In some other countries other organs take on similar unifying cultural significance. The flag, Constitution and military in the USA, the Catholic Church in Poland, the Royal family in Thailand, the language in France, etc. Often these too are quite recent.

The NHS has significance because of its fundamental decency, in that all are entitled to the same level of treatment. Just this week, I have seen both a member of the HoL and a convicted murderer handcuffed to two guards in my clinic. Both got the same treatment. I think this chimes with the British sense of fair play, and a primitive sense of communiality that probably predated even the Anglo-Saxons.

Coupled with this is a deep distrust of the profit motive in this context, both from a long history of communal self help in the working classes, and from a distrust of trade, and sense of noblesse oblige in the wealthier classes. Class relations are profound in Britain but usually not as bitter as our European neighbours. No tumbrils or gulags here. Our upper classes have survived where others perished because of this sense of social solidarity.

The NHS is both a product of, and embodiment of, our collective cultural capital. As we know from Brexit, cultural issues trump economic ones. Other systems may have financial or even clinical advantages, but do not have the same unifying ability. Politicians mess with it at their peril.

What saves us from being a dystopian sci fi hell is the fact that private medical care is so crap in this country. You go private to have your varicose veins sorted or your baby delivered, but not to be operated on for cancer, because the freshly squeezed orange juice and grid girl nurses don't compensate for the increased risk of dying. It is odd that this should be the case.
    Very true. I've had several well known doctors (i.e. well paid private quacks) say to me that if you have something majorly wrong, a real emergency, then go to the NHS. Always. It's not just the money, you will probably get better care.

Private hospitals in the UK are ideal for people with chronic but non urgent conditions who want better food, and their own room.

This does not mean the NHS is utopian, it's just the eccentric way UK healthcare is warped by the behemoth that is the NHS.
    With a few exceptions (Queen Charlotte's is about the only private maternity unit for example) emergency care, or out of hours emergency teams does not exist in the UK private sector.

Fine for elective surgery, or getting your rash looked at, but not a good place to be seriously ill.
  • Options

Foxy said:

So is there a list of approved and unapproved imagery which you are allowed to use to criticize different groups ?

Presumably if Soros had been of Italian or Catholic background then the puppet-master imagery would also have been deemed inadmissable.
    You’re like The Guardian.

The Guardian has admitted that a cartoon about the Israel-Gaza conflict portraying a grotesque Benjamin Netanyahu as a puppet master controlling William Hague and Tony Blair "inevitably" echoed "past antisemitic usage of such imagery".

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/guardian-admits-error-in-publishing-netanyahu-puppet-master-cartoon-1.38862
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    AndyJS said:
    Why don't they just reunite to form Yugoslavia - would cut down on the paper work!
  • Options

Foxy said:

OMG OMG OMG

I've just realised why Conservatives were so obsessed with saying that Ed Miliband had 'stabbed in the back' his brother.

It was a straight echo of the Nazi attack that Jews had 'stabbed in the back' Germany.

A great big dogwhistle that Ed Miliband was Jewish and 'treacherous'.
    Yep, though I suspect that you mean it as jest.

The antisemitism of the right differs from that of the left in its nuances. The left focusses on Israel as the puppet master, on the right it is more that Jews are untrustworthy, lacking in patriotism and scheming.
This discussion has been closed.