Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Remember this cringe making TMay effort from GE17?

124»

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

The GFA does not commit the UK, or any part of it, to remain in the EU, nor to economic harmonisation with the Irish Republic,

Currently, Northern Ireland has a separate currency to the Irish Republic, a separate legal system, different levels of taxation, different employment and planning laws, and a host of distinctions that stand in the way of creating a single economy on the island of Ireland. Yet, for some reason, a few customs posts are supposed to be a deal-breaker.

The phase one agreement commits us to:

1) support North-South cooperation
    2) support the all-island economy
    3) uphold the GFA

Those are separate strands, which taken together mean there can be no backsliding on the level of economic integration that currently exists.
    That's open to interpretation. After all, when Ireland adopted the Euro, in 1999, it was introducing a degree of economic divergence from the UK, which did not adopt the Euro.
    That was when only one of those strands applied: the GFA.
    And If President Macron's proposals for EZ budgets and an EZ Finance Minister were adopted by the EZ, that would be a further divergence between EZ and non-EZ countries, but I think it would be silly for us to argue that this was placing Ireland in breach of the GFA.
    The phase one agreement is broader than the GFA and places constraints on the UK, not vice-versa.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Labour silenced by May's comment about 1928 decision on all women to vote. By a Tory government.

I wonder if she intended to get the heckle of "some women" from the Labour benches.
    Yep.

imho.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

The GFA does not commit the UK, or any part of it, to remain in the EU, nor to economic harmonisation with the Irish Republic,

Currently, Northern Ireland has a separate currency to the Irish Republic, a separate legal system, different levels of taxation, different employment and planning laws, and a host of distinctions that stand in the way of creating a single economy on the island of Ireland. Yet, for some reason, a few customs posts are supposed to be a deal-breaker.

3) uphold the GFA

Those are separate strands, which taken together mean there can be no backsliding on the level of economic integration that currently exists.
    That's open to interpretation. After all, when Ireland adopted the Euro, in 1999, it was introducing a degree of economic divergence from the UK, which did not adopt the Euro.
    And If President Macron's proposals for EZ budgets and an EZ Finance Minister were adopted by the EZ, that would be a further divergence between EZ and non-EZ countries, but I think it would be silly for us to argue that this was placing Ireland in breach of the GFA.
    The phase one agreement is broader than the GFA and places constraints on the UK, not vice-versa.
    So, they can do a broad sweep of things like adopt a different currency, or integrate (say) a la Macron into a more unified tax harmonised Europe, but we can't do anything at all without their explicit say so. Hmm...

And people wonder why a majority of us voted to leave?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Are more people committing violent offences because police budgets have been cut? Burglary, speeding on a motorway, I can perhaps understand - i.e. less likely to get caught. But violent crime? I can't believe that's got anything to do with budget cuts.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

3) uphold the GFA

So, they can do a broad sweep of things like adopt a different currency, or integrate (say) a la Macron into a more unified tax harmonised Europe, but we can't do anything at all without their explicit say so. Hmm...

And people wonder why a majority of us voted to leave?
    This asymmetric situation has been created by your vote to leave.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Are more people committing violent offences because police budgets have been cut? Burglary, speeding on a motorway, I can perhaps understand - i.e. less likely to get caught. But violent crime? I can't believe that's got anything to do with budget cuts.

Or is it because Police reporting is getting better? The Crime Survey says crime is going down....
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    philiph said:

Anorak said:

philiph said:

Anorak said:

philiph said:

I tend to see things differently.

The heart of the problem, I think.
    I see the basic choices as simple.
    FOM or SM
    FTAs or CU

Am I wrong, or are those the binary choices that we have?

Agreeing on them and then working to implement is the hard bit.
    I haven't even expressed a preference for one or the other!
    Both questions are far from binary. My original point was that waving away something as easy to do has little credibility from a group - and yes, I'm lumping you with the Leaver 'blob' here - given past assurances. Remember the German car industry, and the global hoards desperate to give us FTAs. Still waiting...
    Not me Guv on the Germans

I don't understand how they are not binary.
    We understand that FOM and SM are indivisible. For SM you have FOM
    It is difficult to argue against membership of CU precludes FTAs outside that CU.
    Well for a start "the" CU does not preclude membership of "a" CU which could take myriad forms.
  • Options

Not sure Labour going on crime is the wisest route.......

It probably is wiser than the PM minimising the problem.
    Wiminising, surely.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307

tlg86 said:

Or is it because Police reporting is getting better? The Crime Survey says crime is going down....
    Police discover that under recording crime has some unfortunate consequences....
  • Options

tlg86 said:

The police stats are supposed to be quite good on violent crime. But the crime survey is probably the best guide for a time series.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,646
    edited February 2018

stevef said:

Sorry Jeremy, but the majority of Suffragettes were middle class, -like you- not working class. Not done your research again.

Also, millions of working class men got the vote in 1918.
    Granted by a Liberal PM and thereafter Labour replaced the Liberals.
    One of the more remarkable features of the interwar period was how despite the quadrupling of the electorate, the Tories dominated politically, with only the briefest moments out of power. Between Baldwin and Chamberlain they masterfully modernised the Tory party away from aristocrats towards middle class suburbia and market towns. A massive housebuilding and orientation to modern industries such as radio, motoring and air helped achieve this.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    tlg86 said:

Detection and conviction may be a function of budget.

I cannot see any perpetrator entering 'Police Budget' into the Venn diagram of his violent crime before completing the spreadsheet of defamation and emotions that need to be exceeded prior to the act of violence.
  • Options
    Elon Musk's SpaceX rocket heading towards asteroid belt after overshooting Mars' orbit

His cherry-red Tesla, carrying a dummy and blasting Bowie's Life on Mars, was supposed to take a path around the Sun which would take it out into Mars' orbit.

It appears the super-strong rocket, with twice the firing power of any before it, overshot that trajectory and is has now pushed the Tesla into an orbit which extends into the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/07/elon-musks-spacex-rocket-heading-towards-asteroid-belt-overshooting/

Do Direct Line cover such accidents?
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Anorak said:

philiph said:

Anorak said:

philiph said:

Anorak said:

philiph said:

FOM or SM
    FTAs or CU

Both questions are far from binary. My original point was that waving away something as easy to do has little credibility from a group - and yes, I'm lumping you with the Leaver 'blob' here - given past assurances. Remember the German car industry, and the global hoards desperate to give us FTAs. Still waiting...

It is difficult to argue against membership of CU precludes FTAs outside that CU.
    Well for a start "the" CU does not preclude membership of "a" CU which could take myriad forms.
    Good to know it is a multifaceted thing, this CU, it should therefore be malleable and made to work in lots of different scenarios.
  • Options
    Facebook hired a full-time pollster to monitor Zuckerberg’s approval ratings

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/6/16976328/facebook-mark-zuckerberg-pollster-tavis-mcginn-honest-data
  • Options

Facebook hired a full-time pollster to monitor Zuckerberg’s approval ratings

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/6/16976328/facebook-mark-zuckerberg-pollster-tavis-mcginn-honest-data

can't think why.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

3) uphold the GFA

If that is so, then that is not a situation that our electorate can be expected to accept indefinitely. No Parliament can bind its successors, still less future electorates.
  • Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    Dennis Skinner in PMQs has just described the Blair government as the "golden age of the NHS", when the NHS received more money than ever before.

Hold on! I am confused. I thought the Corbynista hard left regarded the Blair period as a time of "Tory Lite" treachery. I thought they regarded Blair as just another Tory. Now they are praising him to the skies as presiding over the NHS Golden Age.

• Options
    Is it my imagination or are there more gaps on the Commons benches today?
  • Options
    stevef said:

Dennis Skinner in PMQs has just described the Blair government as the "golden age of the NHS", when the NHS received more money than ever before.

Hold on! I am confused. I thought the Corbynista hard left regarded the Blair period as a time of "Tory Lite" treachery. I thought they regarded Blair as just another Tory. Now they are praising him to the skies as presiding over the NHS Golden Age.

Didn't Skinner actually support Blair and what he was doing quite a lot? Or have I misremembered.
  • Options

early half-term/ski holidays?
  • Options
    stevef said:

Red Tory!

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/961214540292743168
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

3) uphold the GFA

If that is so, then that is not a situation that our electorate can be expected to accept indefinitely. No Parliament can bind its successors, still less future electorates.
    Indeed Parliament remains sovereign, but it cannot avoid the consequences of its choices, leaving the EU being a case in point.
  • Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044

stevef said:

Didn't Skinner actually support Blair and what he was doing quite a lot? Or have I misremembered.
    Apparently Jeremy Corbyn -who voted against every EU treaty for 30 years, now thinks Blair is right about the EU. He also supports Blair on tax credits. And the NHS. Maybe he should invite Blair to join the shadow cabinet....................
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Elon Musk's SpaceX rocket heading towards asteroid belt after overshooting Mars' orbit

His cherry-red Tesla, carrying a dummy and blasting Bowie's Life on Mars, was supposed to take a path around the Sun which would take it out into Mars' orbit.

It appears the super-strong rocket, with twice the firing power of any before it, overshot that trajectory and is has now pushed the Tesla into an orbit which extends into the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/07/elon-musks-spacex-rocket-heading-towards-asteroid-belt-overshooting/

My God thats a terrible article.

The car didn't "overshoot" anything, the mission profile was basically to push it into as big an orbit as possible.

But the real howler is this.

"The inventor's rockets are twice as strong as the Saturn V rockets, which carried men to the moon during the Apollo era."

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.
  • Options
    From the Guardian...

PMQs - Snap verdict: That was the sort of routine, points-win that Corbyn achieves quite regularly these days - by asking focused questions about public spending quotes, buttressed by awkward quotes from Tories or Tory-types - but what made this a bit special was that this was a win on what has traditionally been a key Conservative battleground. When Corbyn was elected Labour leader, his supporters would have expected him to do well at PMQs on health or housing, but it would have taken a brave call to predict him winning on law and order. Yet at the general election one of the turning points in the campaign came when the terror attacks gave Labour the opportunity to hammer May and her government over police cuts (Tory and Labour strategist both assumed at the time that the attacks would benefit May, but in fact the opposite seems to have happened) and this afternoon Corbyn successfully resurrected those arguments. It was risky, because as a former home secretary May is much more confident on this ground than on others and her push-back on the increase in recorded crime (‘because I pushed for that as home secretary’, she claimed) was effective. She could also parry Corbyn’s attack on knife crime. But her overall weakness was exposed by the fact that she had to resort to quoting Andy Burnham, who is now longer even an MP, to defend herself against the charge she has has cut police spending. It didn’t work.

Always hard to say what swung opinion one way or the other, but again, I don't think a suicide bomber would have been too worried about police cuts.
  • Options
    stevef said:

Corbyn did the same over Police funding......coordinated?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2018
    Pulpstar said:

My God thats a terrible article.

The car didn't "overshoot" anything, the mission profile was basically to push it into as big an orbit as possible.

But the real howler is this.

"The inventor's rockets are twice as strong as the Saturn V rockets, which carried men to the moon during the Apollo era."

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.
    Taps mic, sniff sniff, FAKE NEWS....
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    I see that Mr Wisemann is criticising @SouthamObserver for what he has said about Labour anti-semitism. Apparently it is just one or two rotten apples and nothing to be worried about.

And yet, a quick Google search brings up all these concerned criticisms by Labour figures such as Jon Lansmann, Claire Kober, John Cryer and Wes Streeting and eminent historians such as Simon Schama.

See here.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/top-uk-writers-accuse-jeremy-corbyns-labour-of-widespread-antisemitism-disguised-as-criticism-of-a3677661.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/06/opinion/labour-jeremy-corbym-anti-semitism.html

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/momentum-activists-attack-labour-councillors-over-antisemitism-definition-1.441935

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jan/20/jewish-labour-group-accuses-failing-act-antisemitism

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/abour-conference-2017-jon-lansman-anti-semitism-holocaust-debate-momentum-criticism-response-a7968881.html

https://www.timesofisrael.com/uk-labours-anti-semitism-is-like-lifting-up-a-stone-and-having-insects-crawl-out-says-mp/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/25/jeremy-corbyn-accused-having-ostrich-strategy-anti-semitism/

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/claire-kober-interview-the-only-thing-worse-in-labour-than-sexism-is-the-antisemitism-sj7ngt0x6

And there is plenty more. But there are none so blind as those that don’t want to see.

Maybe, just maybe, it’s a bit more than just one or two. If rotten apples are not quickly removed, they rapidly infect the rest. Not only are they not being removed, it would appear from recent reports that some of them are being let back in.

SO is right to be concerned.

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    edited February 2018

tlg86 said:

Im going to guess it’s because of the motorbike mugging gangs, who the police won’t chase in case the criminals get injured.

They’ll have a high reporting race because of the need for insurance claims, and snatching a phone or bag from the owner is probably recorded as a crime of violence.
  • Options

stevef said:

Corbyn did the same over Police funding......coordinated?
    Looking forward to reading the cultists backlash against these two Blairite running dogs who have hidden their true views for years. :-)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2018

stevef said:

Red Tory!

twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/961214540292743168
    I have to say, I am still in shock to have seen man of the people Dennis in the posh seats at the Royal Albert Hall for Cirque du Soleil. I would have thought he would have been disgusted by a load of overpriced pouncyboots circus acts for the bourgeoisie.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Im going to guess it’s because of the motorbike mugging gangs, who the police won’t chase in case the criminals get injured.

They’ll have a high reporting race because of the need for insurance claims, and snatching a phone or bag from the owner is probably recorded as a crime of violence.
    I somehow doubt Jezza, a man who provided a reference to get a ISIS supporter out of jail for Christmas, will be tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime...
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    stevef said:

Wow it's almost as if governments can have good elements and bad elements! Fascinating!
  • Options
    It looks like Martin Schulz will be the new German Foreign Minister.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    philiph said:

Anorak said:

philiph said:

Anorak said:

philiph said:

Anorak said:

philiph said:

FOM or SM
    FTAs or CU

Good to know it is a multifaceted thing, this CU, it should therefore be malleable and made to work in lots of different scenarios.
    Turkey is in "a" customs union with the EU, and its goods move without tariffs or internal checks. Crucially, this means there are no Rules of Origin for goods that go from Turkey to the EU or vice versa.

However, Turkey is not in "the" Customs Union and has its own Free Trade Agreements, that are different to the EU's.

This does, in theory, mean that goods could be exported from Pakistan to Turkey (who have an FTA) and then onto the EU. However, in practice this doesn't happen because Turkey is geographically separate from the rest of the EU, and because Pakistan is not a big exporter of things which incur high tariffs. (Remember: the average EU external tariff is only 2.7%.)
  • Options

The more intense Leavers are going to be spoiled for choice in their upcoming two minutes hates.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

This does, in theory, mean that goods could be exported from Pakistan to Turkey (who have an FTA) and then onto the EU. However, in practice this doesn't happen because Turkey is geographically separate from the rest of the EU, and because Pakistan is not a big exporter of things which incur high tariffs. (Remember: the average EU external tariff is only 2.7%.)

Turkey does have a 446km land border with the EU.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited February 2018

The more intense Leavers are going to be spoiled for choice in their upcoming two minutes hates.
    Schulz is a definite europhile, far more so than Merkel/CDU. So I'd expect further EU integration from Germany (Or less pushback to it) which was at best a fence sitting nation within the EU on this before now.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

philiph said:

Anorak said:

philiph said:

Anorak said:

philiph said:

Anorak said:

philiph said:

FOM or SM
    FTAs or CU

Turkey is in "a" customs union with the EU, and its goods move without tariffs or internal checks. Crucially, this means there are no Rules of Origin for goods that go from Turkey to the EU or vice versa.

However, Turkey is not in "the" Customs Union and has its own Free Trade Agreements, that are different to the EU's.

Turkey borders Greece and Bulgaria!

• Options

rcs1000 said:

Turkey does have a 446km land border with the EU.
    You're right. I was thinking that the only border was with Greece, but Bulgaria is now an EU member too. Still it's fair to say that Turkey is a long way from the economic centre of the EU.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    stevef said:

Skinner was never that anti Blair, as Blair acknowledged in his autobiography Skinner was always a fan of anyone who beat the Tories and that included Blair. Skinner is partisan Labour above all
  • Options

If there is no agreement, the EU will follow WTO rules, which it is obliged to do; as is the UK, of course.

The WTO rules do not, as far as I know, make any statement at all about the administrative procedures at borders, and certainly doesn't mandate physical checkpoints. I might be wrong; if so, I'd be interested to see a link to any authoritative source which says otherwise.

WTO rules state that there can be no discriminatory treatment. Thus, if there is no specific agreement otherwise the EU will need to apply to the Irish border what it applies to its other external borders.

https://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/whatis_e/tif_e/fact2_e.htm

Same for the UK, of course.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,337
    Freggles said:

stevef said:

Wow it's almost as if governments can have good elements and bad elements! Fascinating!
    Always confusing when people don't live up to one's stereotypes. I served alongside Skinner and we voted for the overwhelming majority of Blair's policies, and have no regrets about most of them. In particular, I'm glad that we rescued the NHS from the pre-1997 slump, and look forward to our doing it again, especially if "lifelong Labour supporter" stevef and others of similar mind actually support us when it comes to it.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2018
    Anorak said:

philiph said:

Not really. A Customs Union has a specific meaning under GATT/WTO rules, as do Free Trade Agreements:

Customs Union: a single customs territory ... where (i) duties and other restrictive regulations of commerce ... are eliminated with respect to substantially all the trade between the constituent territories of the union or at least with respect to substantially all the trade in products originating in such territories, and, (ii) .... substantially the same duties and other regulations of commerce are applied by each of the members of the union to the trade of territories not included in the union;

FTA: a group of two or more customs territories in which the duties and other restrictive regulations of commerce ... are eliminated on substantially all the trade between the constituent territories in products originating in such territories.

Effectively a Customs Union requires no barriers of trade between those parties and applies a common tariff to trade originating from outside the economic zone, so no further internal checks are needed.

Link: https://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/region_e/regatt_e.htm
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2018

If there is no agreement, the EU will follow WTO rules, which it is obliged to do; as is the UK, of course.

The WTO rules do not, as far as I know, make any statement at all about the administrative procedures at borders, and certainly doesn't mandate physical checkpoints. I might be wrong; if so, I'd be interested to see a link to any authoritative source which says otherwise.

WTO rules state that there can be no discriminatory treatment. Thus, if there is no specific agreement otherwise the EU will need to apply to the Irish border what it applies to its other external borders.

https://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/whatis_e/tif_e/fact2_e.htm

Same for the UK, of course.

That doesn't say anything about administrative processes or physical checkpoints. (And of course for the UK at least, we don't have any other land borders, so it's an entirely hypothetical question).
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Anyway I’m off for a bit.

Goodwill to all.

It’s my birthday today and it is far too beautiful a day to spend it staring at a screen. The birds are singing, the sun is shining and there is champagne to be drunk.

Bye!!!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Goodwill to all.

It’s my birthday today and it is far too beautiful a day to spend it staring at a screen. The birds are singing, the sun is shining and there is champagne to be drunk.

Bye!!!

Have a great time!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,993
    Cyclefree said:

Goodwill to all.

Bye!!!

Best wishes.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited February 2018
    Cyclefree said:

Goodwill to all.

Bye!!!

Happy Birthday Ms Cyclefree. I shall take the hounds for a stroll in the beautiful Quantocks and muse on why I spend so much time arguing on the Internet :).
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Goodwill to all.

Bye!!!

Happy birthday, have a great day :D
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    FF43 said:

Anorak said:

Not really. A Customs Union has a specific meaning under GATT/WTO rules, as do Free Trade Agreements:
    *snip*
    See rcs1000 comment few down on the arrangement between Turkey and the EU.
  • Options
    Given we're talking about Northern Ireland, can I suggest that we follow the example of Büsingen am Hochrhein.

The wikipedia link is well worth a read.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

stevef said:

Skinner was never that anti Blair, as Blair acknowledged in his autobiography Skinner was always a fan of anyone who beat the Tories and that included Blair. Skinner is partisan Labour above all
    Skinner is:

Skinner 1st
    Party 2nd
    Country 3rd
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Given we're talking about Northern Ireland, can I suggest that we follow the example of Büsingen am Hochrhein.

Special status that would place Northern Ireland economically within the EU customs area has always been a viable and coherent approach, but the DUP won't wear it.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

When was this 'golden age' for the NHS. Was it when Blair/Brown signed all those PFI deals that are causing us all the problems and costs today?

Do Labour seriously want to make that mistake again?

• Options
    edited February 2018
    FF43 said:

A Customs Union has a specific meaning under GATT/WTO rules, as do Free Trade Agreements:

Customs Union: a single customs territory ... where (i) duties and other restrictive regulations of commerce ... are eliminated with respect to substantially all the trade between the constituent territories of the union or at least with respect to substantially all the trade in products originating in such territories, and, (ii) .... substantially the same duties and other regulations of commerce are applied by each of the members of the union to the trade of territories not included in the union;

FTA: a group of two or more customs territories in which the duties and other restrictive regulations of commerce ... are eliminated on substantially all the trade between the constituent territories in products originating in such territories.

Effectively a Customs Union requires no barriers of trade between those parties and applies a common tariff to trade originating from outside the economic zone, so no further internal checks are needed.

Link: https://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/region_e/regatt_e.htm

More on this. The Leaver contradiction on Customs Unions is they want (i) no barriers of trade between the UK and the EU. But as they don't want a CU that implies they also don't want (ii) the same treatment as the EU on third party trade. However, not having (ii) means (i) fails because there will be barriers on trade for goods that pass between the UK and the EU that contains content from a third country. It would typically also restrict trade from the UK (and to a lesser extent the EU) to a third country that contains content from the other territory.
  • Options

When was this 'golden age' for the NHS. Was it when Blair/Brown signed all those PFI deals that are causing us all the problems and costs today?

And let's not forget:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2006/apr/26/publicservices.uk

or this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-432833/Labour-MPs-challenges-Blair-GPs-contracts.html

or this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stafford_Hospital_scandal
  • Options
    Anorak said:

FF43 said:

Anorak said:

*snip*
    Fun fact: The Turkey / EU Customs union is not WTO* compliant because it doesn't cover agriculture. They have an obligation to bring it in line since GATT days (the CU has its origins in the 1960's before the advent of the WTO).
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Are you suggesting that NI join Schengen?

"There are no border controls between Switzerland and Büsingen or the rest of Germany since Switzerland joined the Schengen Area in 2008/09"
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    FF43 said:

Anorak said:

FF43 said:

Anorak said:

*snip*
    Fun fact: The Turkey / EU Customs union is not WTO* compliant because it doesn't cover agriculture. They have an obligation to bring it in line since GATT days (the CU has its origins in the 1960's before the advent of the WTO).
    You'd think one major takeaway for Remainers, from all the examples of edge cases, non specificity in treaties and treaties which are not in line with the letter of the WTO, is that a solution for NI will be found.*

*For @williamglenn - a solution does not include not leaving the EU. Apart from Pacific Island Remainers, everyone accepts that.
  • Options

twitter.com/JensenClan88/status/961084531758346240

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/961038807658352640

Has anybody told him he isn't with us anymore?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Anorak said:

FF43 said:

Anorak said:

*snip*
    So it is not, and never could be, an option for the UK?

Fun fact? Your parties must be a hoot :)
  • Options
    Jezza, tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime...

Corbyn confirmed his strong grasp of basic law and order policy at PMQs:

“I am very clear that crime is of course wrong.”

In an exchange about knife crime he went on to suggest “rehabilitation” and “community service orders.” Jail?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Cyclefree said:

Goodwill to all.

Bye!!!

Don't know where you are celebrating but it is one of those "best days of the year" down here in south Devon today. Just walked the dog for an hour. Bright blue skies, cold fresh clean air, first daffodils out, birds pairing up....nowhere I would rather be right now.

Have a great birthday.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

FF43 said:

Anorak said:

FF43 said:

Anorak said:

*snip*

Correct . On both points! I think we would want to include agriculture, but I suspect that's why Norway never joined a CU with the EU and I know that's at least partly why Switzerland never did. Their farmers are protected even beyond the EU ones.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

Cyclefree said:

Goodwill to all.

Bye!!!

Don't know where you are celebrating but it is one of those "best days of the year" down here in south Devon today. Just walked the dog for an hour. Bright blue skies, cold fresh clean air, first daffodils out, birds pairing up....nowhere I would rather be right now.

Have a great birthday.
    Be careful of Alabama rot!
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

And let's not forget:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2006/apr/26/publicservices.uk

or this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-432833/Labour-MPs-challenges-Blair-GPs-contracts.html

or this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stafford_Hospital_scandal
    Everyone I’ve ever spoken to in the health sector has had plenty of criticisms of Labour.
    But they all think things are worse now.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

Cyclefree said:

Goodwill to all.

Bye!!!

Have a great birthday.
    +1 - Happy birthday Ms Cyclefree!

Gorgeous down here in Dorset too. Far too nice to be in the shop; but I'm utterly absorbed by an original advertisement leaflet for Solomon's 'Balm of Gilead' that we're cataloguing. Absolutely hilarious.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Nobody really gives a toss about PMQs any more. Theresa is very poor at them, has been since day one and doesn't seem to improve. But if you've a limited (very limited?) shelf life as PM, not much point in getting training to do them right.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Special status that would place Northern Ireland economically within the EU customs area has always been a viable and coherent approach, but the DUP won't wear it.
    One that puts a trade barrier between Northern Ireland and its biggest market is 'viable & coherent'?

It's a view......
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

That and the small matter of borrowing so much at the height of a financial bubble it triggered the EU's excessive deficit procedures repeatedly from 2001-2007.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

Cyclefree said:

Goodwill to all.

Bye!!!

Have a great birthday.
    Be careful of Alabama rot!
    Been five cases reported in Devon, the nearest some 15 miles away. Not a huge worry yet - and certainly no loss of appetite from the pooch!
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2018
    rkrkrk said:

Everyone I’ve ever spoken to in the health sector has had plenty of criticisms of Labour.
    But they all think things are worse now.

Things may be worse now, or be perceived to be. That would hardly be surprising given that (a) Money is inevitably tighter, since Labour was overspending so unsustainably, (b) Demographics have continued to put enormous pressure on the NHS, and (c) Labour has spent the last 8 years telling everyone that the NHS is in crisis.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

One that puts a trade barrier between Northern Ireland and its biggest market is 'viable & coherent'?

It's a view......
    It seems you doubt the depth and specialness of the deal May will be able to negotiate.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    FF43 said:

Anorak said:

FF43 said:

Anorak said:

FF43 said:

Anorak said:

*snip*

Correct . On both points! I think we would want to include agriculture, but I suspect that's why Norway never joined a CU with the EU and I know that's at least partly why Switzerland never did. Their farmers are protected even beyond the EU ones.
    Fisheries more than ag is what keeps Norway out of a CU.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

rcs1000 said:

It's a view......
    If you have no decent options, beyond the one you voted to reject, you have to choose between the indecent ones. Logic, yeah?

Edit. Maybe not quite. There is the possibility of CU+SM applying across the UK, which I think is the best remaining option for everyone. But if you don't agree, then going that route simply to keep Northern Ireland sane might seem like the tail wagging the dog.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

It's a view......
    It seems you doubt the depth and specialness of the deal May will be able to negotiate.
    May won't need to. The EU will be beating down the door to No10 to offer a FTA with no freedom of movement. And they'll pay us for the privilege!!!

As any [leaver] fule kno.
  • Options
    Regarding the thread, I totally agree.

However, there is one further factor which should give Labour cause for concern. There is a pattern going back many elections now in which the major party which underperformed against the last set of final polls ends up overperforming against the final polls in the subsequent GE.

Thus, in terms of Labour:

2005 Labour underperformed relative to the Tories (i.e. only a 3% gap in the popular vote, more had been predicted)
    2010 Labour overperformed (having been expected to tie with the LDs)
    2015 Labour underperformed
    2017 Labour overperformed

The pattern is due to polling companies changing their methodology to reflect the error in the last general election on the assumption that the same circumstances will apply in the next, when in fact they don't.

So if Labour overperformed against the polls in 2017, and the polling companies have since changed their methodology, it is folly for Corbynites to assume that the party can pull off the same trick in 2022 (or whenever).
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Ireland’s GDP grew 10.5% in the year to Q4 2017
    https://tradingeconomics.com/ireland/gdp-growth-annual
    Hint: there’s a small number of very large international companies that have a massive effect on Ireland’s GDP numbers.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
This discussion has been closed.