Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Whose 2020 Vision will the IOC go for?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,742
edited September 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Whose 2020 Vision will the IOC go for?

At around 9pm BST, the IOC will announce the host city for the Games of the XXXIInd Olympiad – Istanbul, Madrid or Tokyo.  At the time of writing, Tokyo was the favourite at 8/11 with Coral, followed by Madrid (best with Paddy Power at 9/5), with Istanbul as the outsider (8/1 with Ladbrokes).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    I did read that a lot of European Countries were going to vote tactically against Madrid, because if a non European city gets it, it increases the chances of a European city winning it in 2024
  • Options
    RedRag1RedRag1 Posts: 527
    edited September 2013
    OOEERRR ..... Second!!!!!

Can the PB Hodges confirm if this thread is a disaster for Ed M?
  • Options
    I'm a fan of Istanbul for it was the venue of the greatest sporting achievement in history, and one that I witnessed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to-X2PNDWBE
  • Options
    RedRag1 said:

Have you posted anything that doesn't involve Dan Hodges?

I think you're a little obsessed.

• Options

RedRag1 said:

Obsessed and Dan Hodges....Irony overload!!!
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    I am unsure but I think Tokyo is the safe choice.Spain is in economic turmoil right now and Turkey has just had riots.If Tokyo gets it,it will be Ed Miliband`s fault!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,384
    edited September 2013
    Re. Australian election:

I've been through all the individual results and this is what the target list looks like.

If the result is closer than 52-48 in a constituency with less than 80% declared I've left it blank:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At91c3wX1Wu5dERmb2NsbmpUNmlyOHplOTNOTE9iZVE#gid=0
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    RedRag1 said:

Epithet alert...
  • Options
    A double dose of David Herdson? Very much appreciated.
  • Options
    I've been selling Tokyo on predictious.com at 70% just because it doesn't seem predictable enough that anything with three runners should be much more than a 50% shot. Last time we discussed this Mike pointed out that right before the London decision was announced Paris was at (IIRC) 1/4, so I don't really trust the markets to know what they're doing.

They often seem to pick up-and-coming countries that in a phase of fast economic growth, which would point to Istanbul, although when I've mentioned that here knowledgeable-sounding people have said it would be a very bold choice for infrastructure reasons etc.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,346
    AndyJS Thanks for that, now Norway and Germany on September 22nd next up
  • Options
    Well I've gone and backed Istanbul
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    edited September 2013
    Also it looks increasingly likely that the full IOC will vote to reinstate wrestling, now FILA has made the changes the IOC asked for many times over many years.

Juan Antonio Samaranch’s son is an IOC member
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Australian election — constituencies which are too close to call IMO:

Moreton: Lab 52.0%, 72% reporting
    Banks: Coa 51.8%, 77% rep.
    Petrie: Coa 50.4%, 75% rep.
    Reid: Coa 50.4%, 76% rep.
    Lilley: Lab 51.1%, 76% rep.
    Capricornia: Lab 50.1%, 79% rep.
    Lingiari: Lab 50.9%, 68% rep.
    Eden-Monaro: Coa 50.6%, 80% rep.
    Parramatta: Lab 50.8%, 74% rep.
    Dobell: Coa 50.7%, 80% rep.
    Chisholm: Lab 51.7%, 70% rep.
    Hindmarsh: Lab 52.0%, 75% rep.
    Barton: Lab 50.1%, 77% rep.
    Bruce: Lab 51.3%, 73% rep.
    McEwen: Lab 50.4%, 73% rep.
    Bendigo: Lab 51.2%, 78% rep.
    Lyons: Coa 51.8%, 77% rep.
    Kennedy: Kat 52.0%, 72% rep.
    Solomon: Coa 51.1%, 79% rep.
    Fairfax: no 2PP information available, 76% rep.
    Indi: no 2PP information available, 77% rep.
  • Options
    I've added a link to the betting on this market into the main thread header
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    If I had any money to invest, I'd rather it was in Japan than Spain! I take EiT's point about value betting but really wonder if the others have much chance.
  • Options
    Ed is a disaster..what more do you need..?
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    It'll be interesting - Istanbul has the riots, Japan has the Fukushima problem, though that's some way from Tokyo, and Madrid has financial issues. In Madrid's favor is that most of the infrastructure and facilities need to stage an Olympics are already existing.
  • Options

I did read that a lot of European Countries were going to vote tactically against Madrid, because if a non European city gets it, it increases the chances of a European city winning it in 2024

The Gibraltar affair is enough reason to vote tactically against Madrid :)
  • Options

Indeed.

We beat Madrid along the way in the race for 2012.

Take that you paella eating surrender monkeys
  • Options
    Spain and Nippon are Yesterday's countries: Turkey deserves it. Sadly the governing party will feck-it-up and become a non-entity Islamist cult: Can't the buggahs understand that most Alevis, Kurds and metropoles could not give a flying...?

Expect Atlanta to [actually] host the 2020 games....
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    FPT
    stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

I'm still struggling to see how the Syria vote has been some kind of disaster for Ed Miliband. Those not well disposed toward him and his Party have been frantically spinning and blogging over the past ten days to this effect but from where I'm sitting David Cameron instigated the sequence of events and is the principal casualty.

Setting aside your points on the economy - it is always good to keep SMukesh waiting - let's address the Miliband on Syria issue.

UK custom and practice is for Prime Ministers to seek cross-party parliamentary endorsement for military action or war. This can be done by forming a National Coalition, as happened during WWII, or, for more limited engagements, by negotiating with opposition leaders in advance of any vote to secure cross-party agreement.

A decision to go to war will always have its dissenters, from individual MPs and even Ministers in both main parties and with smaller parties voting en bloc. But the aim of most PMs is to secure a general consensus of Parliament for action thereby avoiding the exposure of political weakness to enemy and ally alike.

This is why Ed Miliband, as a Privy Councillor, was granted access to government intelligence, the reasonings of the National Security Council and Joint Intelligence Committee, as well as the views of the Prime Minister and his Cabinet. It is also why Miliband was given every opportunity to raise his concerns and requirements and to have his reasonable demands provided for in the government motion put to vote in the house.

Miliband availed himself of all these opportunities and courtesies and even issued a press release affirming his support in principle for the government two days before the vote.

Miliband then met resistance from his shadow cabinet, with threats of resignation and much division within his party on support for the government motion. Instead of informing Cameron that he could not muster wide support from his party for the government motion, he sought to have his cake and eat it. He divided the House by introducing an opposition amendment and threatened that, if the Coalition government did vote with for his amendment, his party would oppose the government motion. And this applied even though there was no substantive difference between the provisions of the government motion and the opposition amendment.

What Miliband did was divide the House on a matter of national security and international foreign policy, antagonising the country's closest ally and making the country look weak and indecisive throughout the international community. And he did this whilst giving the impression in public that he supported the government's position on all but minor details of process and timing.

Basically Ed Milband sacrificed the interests of the country on the altar of domestic party unity and advantage. He showed himself to be opportunistic, indecisive, unreliable and dishonest in the process.

This is not to say that Cameron did not make his own mistakes. But failure to whip his members effectively on a crucial vote in the national interest is a small failing when compared to the [in]actions of Miliband.

• Options
    Tokyo anti-olympic protest signs:
    http://www.mkimpo.com/diary/2013/no_olympics_in_tokyo_13-08-31.html

I particularly liked the 5 rings rendered sad and blue by earthquakes and radiation.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited September 2013

Sir, that is trolling at it's worst.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Hopefully not Japan - time difference will mean crap event timing.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    Istanbul may be value at 8-1, all in all this seems a weaker field than when London won it, each of the bidding cities have serious drawbacks. I wonder if some Euro countries are regretting not going in.

I don't see much value in Madrid; Spain's problems are well-documented. Tokyo rightly favourite though.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,161
    edited September 2013
    tpfkar said:

I don't see much value in Madrid; Spain's problems are well-documented.

Maybe this is what's driving the Madrid price:
    2020 Olympics Likely To Go To Madrid: Source
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/04/2020-olympics_n_3869919.html
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Current 2PP:

Coalition: 53.33%
    Labor: 46.67%

There are roughly another 2.5 million 2PP votes to be counted so it's possible the final result could be 54-46.

http://vtr.aec.gov.au/
  • Options

Indeed - Hague has missed a trick. The massed votes of the commonwealth bshould be lined up against the bull stabbers.
  • Options
    Bill Walker MSP quits....
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Bill Walker MSP quits....

Does that mean a by-election or is he a list member?
  • Options
    I hear the IOC delegation went to Tokyo and came back with a glowing report ...
  • Options
    By-election. 2% SNP majority over Labour in 2011
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @faisalislam
    kerry Munich quote, on c4news nowish... He says "we and our French partners know this is not a time to be silent spectators for slaughter"

@faisalislam
    "This is our Munich moment, this is our chance to stand together and choose accountability over appeasement" is the quote from John Kerry

Yes, Ed, he is talking about you.
  • Options

This is a disaster in waiting for Ed Miliband. If Labour fails to take the seat there'll be yet more frenzied questioning of his suitability for office. It'll be interesting to see the take on it by the Labour spinners on here: 'No relevance outside Scotland, just ignore' is my guess.
  • Options
    tim said:

Istanbul hopefully, for all the same reasons Cameron and Blair want Turkey in the EU

...Cameron and Blair...

Awww, tim.

You have visions of a Britain united on foreign policy?

It was the future once.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

Miliband divided the House by introducing an opposition amendment and threatened that, if the Coalition government did vote with for his amendment, his party would oppose the government motion. And this applied even though there was no substantive difference between the provisions of the government motion and the opposition amendment.

What Miliband did was divide the House on a matter of national security and international foreign policy, antagonising the country's closest ally and making the country look weak and indecisive throughout the international community. ...

Basically Ed Milband sacrificed the interests of the country on the altar of domestic party unity and advantage. He showed himself to be opportunistic, indecisive, unreliable and dishonest in the process.

This is not to say that Cameron did not make his own mistakes. But failure to whip his members effectively on a crucial vote in the national interest is a small failing when compared to the [in]actions of Miliband.

Nonsense.

1. Cameron gave Miliband access to the data, and received agrement in principle. I wouldn't have agreed, but this isn't about me.

2. Miliband then put down a motion which differed in detail from the Government motion, and informed the Government that this was as far as Labour was prepared to go. As you will know, this is standard Commons procedure.

3. The Government used its majority to vote down the motion (why, if you feel there was no substantive difference?), and then whinged that Labour voted against the Government's motion, as they'd said they would. They're still whinging, a week later, as is your good self.

If the Government had wanted unity, they could have agreed on the similar Labour motion. But they didn't - they preferred to gamble that they could get their motion through, purely because it was theirs.

If I felt strongly, I could reasonably say that the Government sacrificed the perceived interests of the country on the altar of domestic party unity and advantage. I don't feel strongly and feel the right result was reached and accepted by Cameron with good grace. We should both save the overheated rhetoric for a better occasion.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,879
    edited September 2013
    Opinium poll Labour lead down 2 to 5%.

Lab 35% (-1) Con 30% (+1) UKIP 17 (-1) L Dems 7% (-1)
  • Options
    I guess Nick Cohen's not a fan of Ed.

Don't look to Ed Miliband for moral leadership

The Labour leader has shown a worrying lack of courage over the gassing of Syrians

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/sep/07/syria-ed-miliband-no-moral-courage
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    AveryLP said:

FPT

stodge said:

I'm still struggling to see how the Syria vote has been some kind of disaster for Ed Miliband. Those not well disposed toward him and his Party have been frantically spinning and blogging over the past ten days to this effect but from where I'm sitting David Cameron instigated the sequence of events and is the principal casualty.

Miliband ... divided the House by introducing an opposition amendment and threatened that, if the Coalition government did vote with for his amendment, his party would oppose the government motion. And this applied even though there was no substantive difference between the provisions of the government motion and the opposition amendment.

What Miliband did was divide the House on a matter of national security and international foreign policy, antagonising the country's closest ally and making the country look weak and indecisive throughout the international community.
    The outcome seems to be very satisfactory to the people. It seems odd to me that it's only by accident (to put it politely) that the electorate can get a satisfactory outcome from parliament.

In fact, it seems to me that it only happened because the two front benches were engaged in party-political brinksmanship.
  • Options

Can we take bets on how many of the candidates will be women?
  • Options

Terrible poll for Labour, following the week that the prime ministers resignation was actually mooted. Sounds as if Ed's antics over foreign affairs is starting to seep into the public consciousness. The Dunfermline by-election will be crucial for Ed. During recent elections, by and council, media interest in UKIP covered up Labour's rather poor showing. This time they'll be no such distractions. I feel Ed's head is on the chopping block.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

AveryLP said:

Nonsense.

1. Cameron gave Miliband access to the data, and received agrement in principle. I wouldn't have agreed, but this isn't about me.

2. Miliband then put down a motion which differed in detail from the Government motion, and informed the Government that this was as far as Labour was prepared to go. As you will know, this is standard Commons procedure.

3. The Government used its majority to vote down the motion (why, if you feel there was no substantive difference?), and then whinged that Labour voted against the Government's motion, as they'd said they would. They're still whinging, a week later, as is your good self.

If the Government had wanted unity, they could have agreed on the similar Labour motion. But they didn't - they preferred to gamble that they could get their motion through, purely because it was theirs.

If I felt strongly, I could reasonably say that the Government sacrificed the perceived interests of the country on the altar of domestic party unity and advantage. I don't feel strongly and feel the right result was reached and accepted by Cameron with good grace. We should both save the overheated rhetoric for a better occasion.

Nick

The convention is that the House gives cross-party support to the government of the time on matters of national security and on military action taken in furtherance of foreign policy.

What happened was that the three main parties all voted in support of the government policy but support was split between two votes. The mother of all f---ups by the mother of all Parliaments.

The default option is for the away team to play with the home team's ball. If you think Labour's ball was substantively different from that of the Government's, I would be interested to learn from you in what ways it differed and why the differences were significant and substantive?

As tim said downthread Cameron and Blair would support Istambul for the 2020 Olympics.

Would it have taken that much effort for Cameron and Miliband to support the high jump for Assad in Damascus? Or are we now condoning substance abuse in both sport and war?

• Options

Terrible poll for Labour, following the week that the prime ministers resignation was actually mooted. Sounds as if Ed's antics over foreign affairs is starting to seep into the public consciousness. The Dunfermline by-election will be crucial for Ed. During recent elections, by and council, media interest in UKIP covered up Labour's rather poor showing. This time they'll be no such distractions. I feel Ed's head is on the chopping block.
    You're reading far too much into a poll that is essentially no change from their last pre-Syria vote poll
  • Options

The Labour leader has shown a worrying lack of courage over the gassing of Syrians

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/sep/07/syria-ed-miliband-no-moral-courage

"just a leader that lacks bravery"

Ouch on top of an ouch article.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Bloody right wing rag...
    Miliband did not understand that world of tyranny and atrocity is no different now than it was 70 years ago. And in that failure of imagination and of sympathy lies his littleness.
    A small man, for the small occasion. Now totally subservient to Len McLuskey.
  • Options

TSE

It was the awesome St Petersburg speech, wot did it.

Music to the electorate's ears.

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Dunfermline should be a very easy gain for Labour . The Council results in 2012 for the 4 wards making up the Constituency ( there is a tiny bit of a 5th ward but the figures from there are not important ) were
    Lab 9484
    SNP 5336
    LDem 3841
    Con 1628
    Others 1457
  • Options
    tim said:

Scott_P said:

Bloody right wing rag...
    Miliband did not understand that world of tyranny and atrocity is no different now than it was 70 years ago. And in that failure of imagination and of sympathy lies his littleness.
    So why did Cameron take military options off the table in a fit of pique?
    You reckon he's determined to press ahead bur he hasn't the bottle?

So why did 30 Tories vote against military action?
    Why were there Tories claiming not have heard the Division Bell?
  • Options
    NickP, Tim and other Labour posters
    1. I believe that Cameron did jump in too early with the recall and mishandled the whipping operation. I said that the day after the vote, so let us accept that and move on.

2. I also believe that Miliband did agree one position with Cameron and then reneged on it. There are other examples recently of Miliband being unable to say one thing and stick to it.

Now whilst I do welcome the fact that we are now highly unlikely to be involved in any military moves in Syria, you should ponder the problem of having as a Leader of your party someone that lacks the backbone to stick to a deal or promise. He cannot even hold the line on Unite's electoral antics. There is now a growing list of centre left commentators lining up against Miliband. Cohen, Aaronovitch, Rentoul, Hodges etc... that list is growing. The good news for the Conservatives is that your party also sticks with unappealing duds as Leaders. Brown, Kinnock, Foot etc.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    tim said:

Scott_P said:

Bloody right wing rag...
    So why did Cameron take military options off the table in a fit of pique?
    You reckon he's determined to press ahead bur he hasn't the bottle?

All these leftie commentator s are wrong and you are right tim - the only explanation.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,338

I think that's the best Con score and the lowest Lab lead with Opinium this year - from a quick scan of UKPR.
  • Options
    tim .. Cameron did not win the vote .. where the feck does Pique come into it.
  • Options
    This is Labour's lowest lead since Opinium started their polling for the Observer.

At the end of July, the average Opinium Labour lead was approx 10%
  • Options
    Japan should get it .. Spain would only hasten its bankruptcy and Istanbul is a security nightmare
  • Options
    Enemies such as Cohen, Aaronovitch, Rentoul and Hodges bring much honour to Ed Miliband.
    Well done ,Ed. Keep on kicking against the pricks.
  • Options
    Miliband has tried to rewrite history about his behaviour on Syria not once but twice. Immediately after the vote he was portraying himself as the crusader for peace, who had stopped the war, humiliated Cameron and put Obama in his place. (Remember the 'PM Ed' comments on this site?) Now he's the muscular interventionist whose call to arms was thwarted only by Dave's poor whipping operation. Miliband is flopping this way and that to the howls of a divided Left.
  • Options
    Picture of Australian polling station.

http://imgur.com/ePUUSKq
  • Options
    Labour with 5% lead....and absolute disaster for Ed M. Tories 5% behind Labour, an absolute victory for Cameron......only on PB!
  • Options

Japan should get it .. Spain would only hasten its bankruptcy and Istanbul is a security nightmare

I would be concerned about predicting that Spain's bankruptcy will come before Japan's.

Abe makes Gordon look like a model of Scotch prudence.

• Options

2. I also believe that Miliband did agree one position with Cameron and then reneged on it.

That's not my understanding, which is that, as that noted left-winger Avery said, he agreed with the general principle. He couldn't have agreed to the motion since it hadn't been written yet. When the motion appeared, it contained wording that he felt was too strong, so he proposed a modest amendment. (I can't summon the energy to go back and compare word for word.)

As I've said, I don't agree with him myself - I think we should have simply refused to support military action. But that's a matter of policy rather than honesty. The partisan politics deployed here were entirely the Government's determined to win THEIR motion rather than accept a substantively similar one in the interest of getting agreement.

A more interesting question is what would have happened if they had accepted it, and then Congress voted Obama's motion down. Would we have attacked Syria alone with the French?

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2013
    tim.. that was a poll taken by Sky boosting its 24 hour stay in an A@E dept.
    Get real.
    Getting even more desperate now lad.. go and fetch some cows in..
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    ICM poll for the Sunday Telegraph, I think it's part of a wider wisdom poll

However, today’s poll underlines the continuing opposition of the British public to any UK action even if chemicals are found by the UN to have been used. Some 46 per cent do not want MPs to vote again if this is found to have been the case, while 36 per cent do

Asked what Britain’s policy on Syria should be, regardless of any parliamentary vote, just 19 per cent want the UK to join US-led missile strikes. Nearly half (47 per cent) backs the current policy of providing humanitarian aid to Syrian refugees rather than taking military action.

Some 16 per cent take an even more isolationist line - wanting no military action and no more humanitarian aid.

The survey suggests, however that British voters see Syria as a special case. While only 16 per cent believe Britain should “always” intervene militarily against regimes which use chemical weapons, 44 per cent think the country should “sometimes” act and 24 per cent say intervention should “always” happen.

There is also recognition that the House of Commons vote could persuade dictators to use their chemical stockpiles. Just under a quarter (24 per cent) of voters thinks the vote makes it more likely foreign regimes will commit atrocities against their own people, compared to only eight per cent who say they are now less likely to do so.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/10293825/British-voters-oppose-military-attack-on-Syria-poll-reveals.html
  • Options

2. I also believe that Miliband did agree one position with Cameron and then reneged on it.

That's not my understanding, which is that, as that noted left-winger Avery said, he agreed with the general principle. He couldn't have agreed to the motion since it hadn't been written yet. When the motion appeared, it contained wording that he felt was too strong, so he proposed a modest amendment. (I can't summon the energy to go back and compare word for word.)
    NickP you believe that, whilst others note EdM's promise to his mother not to cause a family split and EdM saying that Falkirk represented unacceptable practices ... which he EdM is now prepared to accept. You also thought that there were no major plots to remove Brown.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2013
    AVLP ..As an athlete from the West .. would you go to an Olympics in Istanbul.. I certainly wouldn't.
  • Options
    TSE - You started your last post with "ICM poll for the Sunday Telegraph, I think it's part of a wider wisdom poll". Surely it should have started with "There is an absolute disaster of an ICM poll for Ed for the Sunday Telegraph.....". Get with the narrative, for gods sake.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    edited September 2013

tim .. Cameron did not win the vote .. where the feck does Pique come into it.

Several meanings for one word:

pique
    n.
    A state of vexation caused by a perceived slight or indignity; a feeling of wounded pride.
    tr.v. piqued, piqu·ing, piques
    1. To cause to feel resentment or indignation.
    2. To provoke; arouse: The portrait piqued her curiosity.
    3. To pride (oneself): He piqued himself on his stylish attire.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pique
  • Options
    RedRag1 said:

TSE - You started your last post with "ICM poll for the Sunday Telegraph, I think it's part of a wider wisdom poll". Surely it should have started with "There is an absolute disaster of an ICM poll for Ed for the Sunday Telegraph.....". Get with the narrative, for gods sake.

Why don't you post something constructive for a change.

All you seem to do on here in non stop whining about imagined slights.
  • Options

As I've said, I don't agree with him myself - I think we should have simply refused to support military action. But that's a matter of policy rather than honesty. The partisan politics deployed here were entirely the Government's determined to win THEIR motion rather than accept a substantively similar one in the interest of getting agreement.
    A more interesting question is what would have happened if they had accepted it, and then Congress voted Obama's motion down. Would we have attacked Syria alone with the French?
    So we agree about no military action. As to the partisan politics, all I ask you to do is reflect on whether that was just a reaction to Miliband reneging on an agreement. Viewed that way, it is a better fit with the duplicitous nature of EdM. Just remember to count your fingers after each time he shakes your hand.
  • Options
    Well done Anne .. Keep going ..one day eh..
  • Options
    TSE - " imagined slights". There is more posts about "disaster for Ed M" then there is posts attacking Tim....and that is saying something.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    RedRag1 said:

TSE - " imagined slights". There is more posts about "disaster for Ed M" then there is posts attacking Tim....and that is saying something.

Your post the other night complaining about why there was no by-elections thread was a case in point, only on PB.
  • Options

RedRag1 said:

Your point the other night complaining about why there was no by-elections thread was a case in point, only on PB.
    Are you taking it personally?You are doing a good job hosting the site but Labour supporters can complain when the posts become one-dimensional with the same tweets being posted repeatedly!
  • Options

It's funny how 'your understanding' is the one most favourable to Labour and Miliband and, indirectly, your election chances. Strange that.

So do you think the chemical warfare treaties are worthless and not worth upholding? Would you vote for them (and the principles behind them) to be scrapped under a new Labour government? What is the purpose of the CWC and other treaties if they are not upheld? (*)

If not, what is your solution to the Syrian problem, especially their use of chemical weapons? Your previous answer to the question was hardly stellar.

The last part of your post is patently ridiculous and ignores cause and effect. Miliband's thrown a giant spanner in the works; if the vote in the UK had gone in favour of another vote for intervention (not even intervention directly) then we would be in a different place.

Miliband's f'ed up. It may have been the answer you wanted (and coming from someone who voted for Iraq, that's quite some thing), but that does not make it the right answer.

(*) And before people say: yes, I know there have been problems in the past. That's no reason to set a better precedent and do the right thing now.
  • Options

RedRag1 said:

Your point the other night complaining about why there was no by-elections thread was a case in point, only on PB.
    The other night was my, obviously poor, attempt at a bit of humour......only on PB!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    SMukesh said:

RedRag1 said:

Are you taking it personally?You are doing a good job hosting the site but Labour supporters can complain when the posts become one-dimensional with the same tweets being posted repeatedly!
    I take nothing personally, though I'm reeling from being called a Nat the other day.
  • Options
    TSE, you have done a great job on here. Regarding RedRag1, TSE just smile a little.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    AnneJGP said:

AveryLP said:

FPT

stodge said:

The outcome seems to be very satisfactory to the people. It seems odd to me that it's only by accident (to put it politely) that the electorate can get a satisfactory outcome from parliament.

In fact, it seems to me that it only happened because the two front benches were engaged in party-political brinksmanship.
    Anne, I think I came closer to an impolite description of the "accident" in my reply to Nick P.

Cameron should not be praised for the outcome as the mismanagement of his party saw his own motion defeated. He has to learn that whipping backbenchers should not be conducted according to the rules of a Gentlemen's club.

But even had Cameron carried his motion he would still not have realised his goal of gaining cross-party support for the principle of intervention to enforce international norms. Clegg though did a fine job in herding his cats.

The fact that the House was divided on a matter in which it should have been united, pace the usual dissenters in all parties, can only be laid at Miliband's door. Cameron played it straight. Miliband didn't.

On the matter of reflecting public opinion, you are absolutely right that the coincidence of such an outcome was a pure accident. But then on matters of inttelligence, diplomacy and international relations, the public should look to its politicians for leadership. The public rarely and rightly relishes the prospect of war and only supports it as a last resort and then only if its outcomes are successful. Asking the public to vote on going to war is passing the buck. This is a risk and responsibility that should be undertaken by our leaders.

Public opinion did not reflect the lack of a sound case for military intervention, but an absence of public trust political leadership.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,056
    edited September 2013
    Good evening, everyone.

I hope the Japanese get it (they should've got the rugby world cup, for that matter).

Edited extra bit: and, on the sporting theme, my pre-race piece is here: http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/italy-pre-race.html

Interesting to see the Alonso/Ferrari relationship apparently disintegrating before our very eyes.
  • Options
    David Bond ‏@DavidBondBBC 1m

Drama! First round tied between Istanbul and Madrid to see who goes through to 2nd round. Istanbul then edge Madrid by one vote
  • Options
    Madrid pays a heavy Olympic price for Gibraltar. ...
  • Options

SMukesh said:

RedRag1 said:

I take nothing personally, though I'm reeling from being called a Nat the other day.
    And that`s asking for trouble :)
  • Options

Good evening, everyone.

I hope the Japanese get it (they should've got the rugby world cup, for that matter).

Edited extra bit: and, on the sporting theme, my pre-race piece is here: http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/italy-pre-race.html

Interesting to see the Alonso/Ferrari relationship apparently disintegrating before our very eyes.

What happened to Lewis?
  • Options

AVLP ..As an athlete from the West .. would you go to an Olympics in Istanbul.. I certainly wouldn't.

It is hardly a ferry ride from the Veneto, Doddy!

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,870
    Ed was at least a little shabby in his dealings over the Syria vote. I can't imagine that's helped him in any way, but the decision to go to war (even at a distance) is the sort of thing where one needs to be certain, and perhaps his point of view was swayed a little by his colleagues and therefore his actions understandable. (I don't really buy it mind you, and I thought AveryLP down the thread summed up certain aspects well)

The happenings with regards to Falkirk are however I suspect more worrying for Ed supporters. He's visibly not in charge of his party. Now the question then beckons, 'Who is?'. I suspect that there is no programme from the lasagne set for example, however would you want to offer Balls an opportunity to put his foot in your door and sell an encyclopaedia?

Ed is currently the least safe of the three leaders.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Asked what Britain’s policy on Syria should be, regardless of any parliamentary vote, just 19 per cent want the UK to join US-led missile strikes. Nearly half (47 per cent) backs the current policy of providing humanitarian aid to Syrian refugees rather than taking military action.

Some 16 per cent take an even more isolationist line - wanting no military action and no more humanitarian aid.

The survey suggests, however that British voters see Syria as a special case. While only 16 per cent believe Britain should “always” intervene militarily against regimes which use chemical weapons, 44 per cent think the country should “sometimes” act and 24 per cent say intervention should “always” happen.

There is also recognition that the House of Commons vote could persuade dictators to use their chemical stockpiles. Just under a quarter (24 per cent) of voters thinks the vote makes it more likely foreign regimes will commit atrocities against their own people, compared to only eight per cent who say they are now less likely to do so.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/10293825/British-voters-oppose-military-attack-on-Syria-poll-reveals.html

I was giving a seminar on Parliamentary democracy to a visiting Chinese group today, and one of them asked me politely why both observers and public opinion objected so strongly to Syria while accepting the Libyan intervention without quibble - he didn't seem to be point-scoring, just genuinely curious.

Good question, perhaps. I think it's partly because Assad's image is less alien and demented than Gaddafi - people recognise a dictator, but not a madman (though perhaps we are too easily impressed by western clothing). And maybe also that we could see that intervening in Libya was likely to produce the result most people wanted, whereas firing some missiles at Syria won't do anything much.

• Options
    SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

RedRag1 said:

I nearly did a thread asking will Ed be a vote loser in Scotland, because Gordon Brown did well for Labour in Scotland in 2010, I wonder if there would be some loss for Labour in Scotland, particularly with the SNP riding high in the Holyrood pools.

But then I started looking at Scottish sub-samples, and I knew that was a mistake.

The headline of that piece would have been "Could the Nats hand Dave a majority in 2015?"
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I don't know.

Post-qualifying he was very downbeat and blamed himself entirely. I wonder if going off-road damaged his car and/or confidence somewhat. It'll be intriguing to see if he can bounce back in the race.

Sadly the season seems to be melting into yet another series of Vettel processions. I have nothing against him, I just think a new champion would be refreshing.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Madrid eliminated !
  • Options
    David Bond ‏@DavidBondBBC 1m

Apologies - Istanbul beat Madrid by 49-45. Still incredibly tight though. Shattering for the Spanish.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Patrick Hennessy @PatJHennessy

SunTel/@ICMResearch "Wisdom Index" poll - Lab lead down to one point. Lab 32, Con 31, LD 16, Ukip 12.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,857

SMukesh said:

RedRag1 said:

Have you given up being racist against posters from an Asian background yet ? Between you and Sunil it was getting like an EDL chatroom.
  • Options
    Bah. It's a shame Istanbul isn't still Byzantium.
  • Options
    @NickPalmer, I wonder if it was with Libya, Gaddafi was a known badman, particularly with the UK from the Yvonne Fletcher death, and Lockerbie and other things.

Whereas Assad doesn't have that kind of history with the UK.
  • Options
    Patrick Hennessy @PatJHennessy

SunTel/@ICMResearch "Wisdom Index" poll - Lab lead down to one point. Lab 32, Con 31, LD 16, Ukip 12.
  • Options

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

RedRag1 said:

I nearly did a thread asking will Ed be a vote loser in Scotland, because Gordon Brown did well for Labour in Scotland in 2010, I wonder if there would be some loss for Labour in Scotland, particularly with the SNP riding high in the Holyrood pools.

But then I started looking at Scottish sub-samples, and I knew that was a mistake.

The headline of that piece would have been "Could the Nats hand Dave a majority in 2015?"
    Alec Salmond would have visited you and smothered you with his flag after that one!
  • Options

SMukesh said:

RedRag1 said:

Have you given up being racist against posters from an Asian background yet ? Between you and Sunil it was getting like an EDL chatroom.
    Nope, my final thread tomorrow will be urging people to join the EDL.

http://www.edl.me/

(That's the English Disco Lovers)
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles (and Mr. Palmer), whilst true, it's also the case that Gaddafi stupidly announced his genocidal intentions beforehand, and his country was ideally suited to a no fly zone/airstrikes.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    New poll blow for Ed Miliband

Ed Miliband suffers a fresh blow today as a new opinion poll cuts Labour's lead over the Conservatives to just one per cent going into the party conference season.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/10293777/New-poll-blow-for-Ed-Miliband.html
  • Options

Bah. It's a shame Istanbul isn't still Byzantium.

Mr Dancer as a Yorkist, surely Constantinople has a better ring to it?
This discussion has been closed.