Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Review 2017 – how the parties have performed

2»

Comments

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited December 2017

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Pong said:

https://twitter.com/NickJTimothy/status/947118142437953542
    Spot on.

The tories need to apologize to this chap and beg him to come back on board.

What is he suggesting we do about it?
    The big, unacknowledged, problem is that we're addicted to the Bank of Bricks and Mortar.

Let's say we increase supply through more building, lower demand by cutting immigration, and therefore reduce the price of housing by 30%. This makes it much easier for millennials to end up home owners, which is good.

But it also results in dramatically lower labour mobility, as people with negative equity can no longer move house. It also means that people up their savings rate to compensate for no longer having as much equity in their home. This would result in a significant reduction in the level of aggregate demand, likely tipping the economy into recession.

Gordon Brown and George Osborne made a terrible mess of the UK economy. It will likely take another decade, and a Chancellor of the caliber of Howe, Lawson or Clarke, to turn it back around.
    Agree entirely. The other issue is that demand for housing is closely correlated with supply and demand of mortgage finance. As soon as house prices start to fall banks will want higher deposits which will cause further price falls as demand dries up. It could take a fair few years for that situation to normalise, during and after which time, as you say, there will be huge problems of negative equity - as was seen in the early 1990s.
    It's a very good point: falling house prices means lower mortgage availability, and higher net interest margins.
    I always wonder if those wishing house prices to fall have factored in mortgage offers being 80% LTV rather than 95%. For a first time buyer, the issues around finance are much more important than issues around the actual price of the property.
    Isn't that attitude typical of what is wrong. That what really matters is whether you are able to buy not how much debt you are taking on?
    No. It depends upon both how much you can buy and how much you can pay.

I'd rather buy a house for say 200k at 3% interest than 100k at 15% interest. The money I'm losing is the interest.
    The dire situation today's FTB'ers could be facing is signing up for the first situation and a couple of years later finding themselves dealing with the second situation.

£100k negative equity + high interest rates.

What the economy really needs is wage rises to square the circle.

Labour needs to organise. To reunionise and get back into power.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    edited December 2017

I'd rather buy a house for say 200k at 3% interest than 100k at 15% interest. The money I'm losing is the interest.

And that would be a big financial mistake. With a smaller mortgage and higher rates, overpayments eat into the capital much faster and you can more easily pay off your mortgage early.

With your example, if you assume you have a deposit of 40k (20% of the £200k example), your monthly repayments will be around £760 in both cases, but a monthly overpayment of just £40 will see you pay off your mortgage 6 years earlier in the second example. (And that's before you've taken into account the risk of movements in interest rates which are much more likely to be in your favour if you're starting from a historically high level.)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited December 2017
    The next time England tour Australia, I think the squad should be chosen by randomly selecting 11 people from the top 100 players in the country. The current method doesn't seem to be working particularly well.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    AndyJS said:

The next time England tour Australia, I think the squad should be chosen by randomly selecting 11 people from the top 100 players in the country. The current method doesn't seem to be working particularly well.

Or they could randomly pick 11 people from the country....

• Options

AndyJS said:

Good idea, I've always wanted to play for England, lol.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    Rather surprised to see in a BBC prediction of European politics for 2018 the reporter to comment thusly, in relation to Macron in comparison to other hyped leaders:

In 2018, I'm interested to see if Mr Macron - dubbed "the emperor" by some - lives up to the hype at home and abroad.

Or will this be a case - rather like Barack Obama who famously received a Nobel Peace Prize before he really achieved anything - of peaking too early?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42433669
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

You’d probably have done better than some of the players we did pick.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

You’d probably have done better than some of the players we did pick.
    I reckon the 14 year old me would have taken more wickets than Moeen has given the same number of overs.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Labour will call for one, once the public wants one. And not before.
    But will the public want one? That doesn’t look likely.
    https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/946463439437877248
    I think a lot of Remainers (and sorry Leavers) think Brexit is now inevitable and are resigned to it. "Let's move on" or "Let's go for a soft Brexit". And that, of course, is how passionate Leavers want Brexit to seem - inevitable.

But if it ceases to seem inevitable for any reason, there will be a tipping point and sentiment could quickly change. Catalysts could be a big fallout in the Cabinet, or a major blockage by the HoL, or an intervention by Macron (please stay), or serious FTA problems.

I'm struggling to see how a speech by Macron could decisively change sentiment in this country.

I've said (for months) the only thing that could is the EU offering a new deal for the UK to Remain, but they're too short-sighted to see it.
  • Options

Elliot said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

This polling is a helpful reminder that most Remainers are not the spiteful types that think anyone that disagrees with them is a racist yokel.
    The sneering metropolitan elite - which includes Adonis: speaking on behalf of the 16%. But as in their minds, they're the only ones who count, 16 is greater than 84.
    They may be 16% (or up to 20%) but they are amongst the wealthiest, best connected and most influential in the country, with lots of friends and sympathisers in Government, big business, trade associations in the capital, and in the media and arts.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    kle4 said:

Rather surprised to see in a BBC prediction of European politics for 2018 the reporter to comment thusly, in relation to Macron in comparison to other hyped leaders:

In 2018, I'm interested to see if Mr Macron - dubbed "the emperor" by some - lives up to the hype at home and abroad.

Or will this be a case - rather like Barack Obama who famously received a Nobel Peace Prize before he really achieved anything - of peaking too early?

He was nominated 11 days after he took office.
  • Options
    Elliot said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

I think a lot of Remainers (and sorry Leavers) think Brexit is now inevitable and are resigned to it. "Let's move on" or "Let's go for a soft Brexit". And that, of course, is how passionate Leavers want Brexit to seem - inevitable.

But if it ceases to seem inevitable for any reason, there will be a tipping point and sentiment could quickly change. Catalysts could be a big fallout in the Cabinet, or a major blockage by the HoL, or an intervention by Macron (please stay), or serious FTA problems.

Even if support among Remainers doubled, you would still only have 40% of the population, when realistically you need 65%+ for politicians to be willing to overturn the result, or even run another referendum. Cabinet ministers or unelected Lords blocking it would likely be seen badly by the public, and I doubt FTA negotiation details are the sort of thing that preoccupy the British public too much.

The bump in Brexit support after the interim deal actually suggests there is a bigger latent majority for Brexit, which is held down by them thinking the negotiations are being screwed up.
    I think the numbers may shift, but only once the form of the final deal becomes clear, the economy seems largely unaffected (by which I mean ongoing growth) and the Government articulates new policies and policy options.

It's possible they stay locked in until GE2022, though, as opinions have become so entrenched.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    stevef said:

But local elections are almost totally irrelevant to national politics, and have no bearing whatsoever on general elections.

Sadly that's probably true. In 1983, just a month before the general election, Labour won a big victory in Basildon in the local elections, and then at the general election they lost the seat.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

Elliot said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

This polling is a helpful reminder that most Remainers are not the spiteful types that think anyone that disagrees with them is a racist yokel.
    The sneering metropolitan elite - which includes Adonis: speaking on behalf of the 16%. But as in their minds, they're the only ones who count, 16 is greater than 84.
    They may be 16% (or up to 20%) but they are amongst the wealthiest, best connected and most influential in the country, with lots of friends and sympathisers in Government, big business, trade associations in the capital, and in the media and arts.
    And they all hang out with each other almost exclusively, so they observe that 90% of the people (that they speak to) think Brexit is stupid and still don’t understand why they lost the referendum even 18 months later.
  • Options

It seems that Adonis accepts that Brexit cannot be stopped or changed, and is preparing the ground for the longer struggle. Far from being a call to arms against Brexit, it could be that Adonis’s resignation marks the moment the ultra-Remainers admit defeat in this war and start to prepare to fight the next one.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/andrew-adonis-theresa-may-eu-resignation-rejoin-brexit-a8134671.html

It's not impossible that that happens, but a "rejoin" campaign would start from a position of full membership meaning applying to join a federal union, with adoption of the euro and Schengen required, amongst many others things, and all other UK opt-outs lost.

I think the greatest enemy of a rejoin campaign would be the arch-Remainers themselves. The likes of AC Grayling, Jo Maugham and Alastair Campbell would think they'd made their point and revert to UK politics c.2000-2002, and, in so doing, massively overplay their hand.

And lose.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    This Iranian hoo- hah is picking up steam.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Elliot said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

You've just described those who have no experience of being losers.

And boy, does it show....
  • Options

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Maybe politicians should have courage of their convictions and try leading debates rather than merely responding to them. If nothing else, if they actually want to go down that path, relying on the public to get to that point without such leadership is very risky.
    As are the LibDems.
    If the public does turn against, the LDs deserve to be the ones who benefit, since they have been pretty clear where they stand (not entirely, there was confusion about remain/rejoin post referendum). But other factors in who benefits most in a two party system will always count against them there.

RobD said:

twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/946463439437877248

Some of those numbers are surprisingly low.
    I'm always suspicious of polls quoted to prove a point where the full question and range of answers isn't stated. I suspect here that there were four or more options, with "2nd referendum" being at one extreme.
    https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/j689my8z0m/TheChallenge_Nov17_Results_w.pdf

Helpfully 2nd vote / abandon Brexit entirely got about the same number of responses, so you can double the numbers if you want a full picture of "no Brexit"
    Huh. Thought so.

Edit: some of the other results show a worryingly stark generational gap. Two nations, really.
    It'll work itself out over time, I'm not worried.
    Unless people's views change as they get older......
    Those who are old now were young then.

Most of those aged 18-34 who voted in the 1975, full of youthful optimism, voted to Leave in 2016.

They thought they were voting for a common market, but were had.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Pong said:

Spot on.

The big, unacknowledged, problem is that we're addicted to the Bank of Bricks and Mortar.

Let's say we increase supply through more building, lower demand by cutting immigration, and therefore reduce the price of housing by 30%. This makes it much easier for millennials to end up home owners, which is good.

But it also results in dramatically lower labour mobility, as people with negative equity can no longer move house. It also means that people up their savings rate to compensate for no longer having as much equity in their home. This would result in a significant reduction in the level of aggregate demand, likely tipping the economy into recession.

Gordon Brown and George Osborne made a terrible mess of the UK economy. It will likely take another decade, and a Chancellor of the caliber of Howe, Lawson or Clarke, to turn it back around.
    Agree entirely. The other issue is that demand for housing is closely correlated with supply and demand of mortgage finance. As soon as house prices start to fall banks will want higher deposits which will cause further price falls as demand dries up. It could take a fair few years for that situation to normalise, during and after which time, as you say, there will be huge problems of negative equity - as was seen in the early 1990s.
    Brits love to think they're doomed.

Of course, we'll face some big challenges. But, overall, I'm not worried: there's very few places (if any) I'd rather live.
  • Options
    Only to political obsessives are local election results mid-term of any relevance.

Corbyn is just
    not going to win despite his cult following with the young.
  • Options

Elliot said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

You've just described those who have no experience of being losers.

And boy, does it show....
    What's interesting is that that group, which is very London dominant, probably up until the 1990s, would historically have split between the Conservatives (Big Bang/privatisation/capitalist) and Labour (Hampstead/Islington/Fabian), ensuring some sort of debate.

Now, it's cultural, political and economic interests are very much aligned.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Pong said:

Spot on.

Agree entirely.
    It's a very good point: falling house prices means lower mortgage availability, and higher net interest margins.
    I always wonder if those wishing house prices to fall have factored in mortgage offers being 80% LTV rather than 95%. For a first time buyer, the issues around finance are much more important than issues around the actual price of the property.
    Isn't that attitude typical of what is wrong. That what really matters is whether you are able to buy not how much debt you are taking on?

The dire situation today's FTB'ers could be facing is signing up for the first situation and a couple of years later finding themselves dealing with the second situation.

£100k negative equity + high interest rates.

What the economy really needs is wage rises to square the circle.

Labour needs to organise. To reunionise and get back into power.
    Yep. I can't wait for flying pickets, secondary strike actions, and the return of the closed shop.
  • Options

It seems that Adonis accepts that Brexit cannot be stopped or changed, and is preparing the ground for the longer struggle. Far from being a call to arms against Brexit, it could be that Adonis’s resignation marks the moment the ultra-Remainers admit defeat in this war and start to prepare to fight the next one.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/andrew-adonis-theresa-may-eu-resignation-rejoin-brexit-a8134671.html

It's not impossible that that happens, but a "rejoin" campaign would start from a position of full membership meaning applying to join a federal union, with adoption of the euro and Schengen required, amongst many others things, and all other UK opt-outs lost.

I think the greatest enemy of a rejoin campaign would be the arch-Remainers themselves. The likes of AC Grayling, Jo Maugham and Alastair Campbell would think they'd made their point and revert to UK politics c.2000-2002, and, in so doing, massively overplay their hand.

And lose.

Adonis is also looking for a job in due course with Corbyn and so stands in the long tradition of "principled" new Labour politicians.

• Options

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Maybe politicians should have courage of their convictions and try leading debates rather than merely responding to them. If nothing else, if they actually want to go down that path, relying on the public to get to that point without such leadership is very risky.
    As are the LibDems.
    If the public does turn against, the LDs deserve to be the ones who benefit, since they have been pretty clear where they stand (not entirely, there was confusion about remain/rejoin post referendum). But other factors in who benefits most in a two party system will always count against them there.

RobD said:

I'm always suspicious of polls quoted to prove a point where the full question and range of answers isn't stated. I suspect here that there were four or more options, with "2nd referendum" being at one extreme.
    https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/j689my8z0m/TheChallenge_Nov17_Results_w.pdf

Helpfully 2nd vote / abandon Brexit entirely got about the same number of responses, so you can double the numbers if you want a full picture of "no Brexit"
    Huh. Thought so.

Edit: some of the other results show a worryingly stark generational gap. Two nations, really.

Most of those aged 18-34 who voted in the 1975, full of youthful optimism, voted to Leave in 2016.

They should have read the Daily Mail:
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

As are the LibDems.

RobD said:

Huh. Thought so.

It basically says 'but don't worry about it, it won't happen in your lifetime'...
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

As are the LibDems.

RobD said:

Huh. Thought so.

It basically says 'but don't worry about it, it won't happen in your lifetime'...
    Quite so. It is an absolutely crap argument, and not just because it comes from the Daily Mail. I was there then and I am here now and I am not my children's children, I'm me.
  • Options

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

As are the LibDems.

RobD said:

Huh. Thought so.

I'm not sure an argument that it was all in the small print from the start, and more fool you for not reading it, is going to win many over to your side.
  • Options

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

As are the LibDems.

RobD said:

Huh. Thought so.

I'm not sure an argument that it was all in the small print from the start, and more fool you for not reading it, is going to win many over to your side.
    Heath made the political case openly and unapologetically. It won then and will win again.
  • Options

Heath made the political case openly and unapologetically. It won then and will win again.

Yes, it was the British people's yearning for political union that won the day back in the 70s....
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

As are the LibDems.

RobD said:

Huh. Thought so.

The bit which says "if and when our children or children's children want to join Europe into one integrated nation"?

Why were you lot so afraid to ask?
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Maybe .
    As are the LibDems.
    If .

RobD said:

Huh. Thought so.

The Ballot Paper referred to the Common Market, as did the official Government booklet sent out to every household, and both the PM and the Leader of the Opposition (one Margaret Thatcher) consistently referred to it as such.

Suggestions of full political union were either considered fanciful, and dismissed, or played down - as, indeed, they have been at each successive European treaty ever since.

I think Edward Heath both knew and supported the endgame, but most other British political leaders wouldn't have given it much more thought other than it was idealistic rhetoric grounded in the desire to avoid yet another terrible conflict within Europe, whilst at the same time keeping the Soviets without.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

As are the LibDems.

RobD said:

Huh. Thought so.

There should be a Godwins Law equivalent for mentions of the Daily Mail.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    RobD said:

Yes, it was the British people's yearning for political union that won the day back in the 70s....

To: RobD

Pay: £Billions (EU says)

For: Broken sarcasm meter

• Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,812

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Huh. Thought so.

Every single word is something I have argued at some point in the last 18 months particularly:

Political Union will not happen unless and until the nation states are all ready
    We should have the confidence of our own influence in the project
    It should probably not happen in my lifetime

All still bang on in 2017.

The trouble with Leavers was that they always seek to do Britain down when it comes to the influence she had within Europe and the EU.
  • Options

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

As are the LibDems.
    If against them there.

RobD said:

http

Helpfully
    Huh. Thought so.

Except it didn't win last year, did it? And you lost the vast majority of those voters you did win over at the time in the intervening 40 years.

You need to hang your hat on something a little more robust than false-consciousness of the electorate, or bravado.
  • Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044

RobD said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

As are the LibDems.

RobD said:

Huh. Thought so.

Godwin had no mandate from the people to make a law. He must have been a EU commissioner.
  • Options
    stevef said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

As are the LibDems.

RobD said:

Huh. Thought so.

Godwin had no mandate from the people to make a law. He must have been a EU commissioner.
    Godwin's Directive. :p
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:
    If there.

RobD said:

Helpfully
    Huh. Thought so.

T had.
    Every single word is something I have argued at some point in the last 18 months particularly:

Political Union will not happen unless and until the nation states are all ready

The trouble with Leavers was that they always seek to do Britain down when it comes to the influence she had within Europe and the EU.
    Who decides if all the nation states are ready? And what if they subsequently decide it was a mistake, and not for them?

One of the reasons I voted Leave was because the last Labour Government, preceded by the previous Conservative administration, both took it upon themselves to decide that for me without any further national consultation.

I didn't have any confidence that future Governments, particularly Labour Governments, wouldn't do the same again off the back of a 2016 mandate, notwithstanding the rather loosely worded European Union Act 2011. And, in any event, the Lisbon Treaty was sufficiently broad in scope and remit to give a lot of latitude to the CJEU and EU institutions to pursue further jurisprudence and integration without reference to either.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Given that the PM, CotE, HS and FS and LOTO officially supported Yes, what is the justification for treating the recently ex LOTO as the mouthpiece of the Yes campaign? Is it because nobody higher up the batting order said what you want them to have said?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

As are the LibDems.

RobD said:

Huh. Thought so.

Noone should read the Daily Mail. Its a thoroughly nasty little paper, Little Englander mentality, pandering to peoples worst sentiments.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

No it's not still bang on. The Euro changed things.
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

What did it change? No-one’s stopping us from joining.
  • Options

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

As are the LibDems.

RobD said:

Huh. Thought so.

Indeed the Daily Mail (75 edition) was correct in saying that we weren't joining a political union and wouldn't until we were ready.

But an irreversible divergence occured after Maastricht. The Euro was the political union equivalent of a child playing hide and seek saying "ready or not, here I come".
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Pro_Rata said:

Just the voters.

That perennial fly in the ointment of the European Project. Ungrateful bastards. Can't they see how much effort the Eurocrats put into trying to save them the effort of actually voting?
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

"Political union will not come unless and until we - and the French and the Germans - are ready for it. And we're nowhere near ready for it now, and a lot of us probably won't live to see it."

Your solution is to join the Euro but unless we're ready for political union that's the wrong move. Your own link says we're not ready for it and it won't happen until we are. That's what's changed.
  • Options
    Has Davis gone rogue?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    stevef said:

But local elections are almost totally irrelevant to national politics, and have no bearing whatsoever on general elections.

Not entirely, both Blair and Cameron had huge local election leads before they became PM
  • Options
    Lol - William has got your gas at a peep.

You won’t draw him out of his EU Opus Dei sanctum to the god of one unaccountable government spanning from Kerry to Kiev. Thankfully he’s in there for the duration..
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007

Has Davis gone rogue?

Non story, Davis just told a think tank the progress of the talks meant there was now less chance of no deal and less chance of no Brexit

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5239069/brexit-secretary-david-davis-britain-may-never-leave-the-eu/
  • Options
    LOVE....THE.....DARTS.....
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970

And lose.

Adonis is also looking for a job in due course with Corbyn and so stands in the long tradition of "principled" new Labour politicians.

Adonis is looking for a job from Corbyn?

The great philosopher John McEnroe had an apt phrase for that...
  • Options
    For excitement Star Wars isn’t in the same universe as that semi final of the darts!
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    dixiedean said:

And lose.

Adonis is looking for a job from Corbyn?

The great philosopher John McEnroe had an apt phrase for that...
    Blairite twat?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

LOVE....THE.....DARTS.....

Cross just made me significantly better off
  • Options
    Yokel been on to comment on Iran ?

• Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

As are the LibDems.

RobD said:

Huh. Thought so.

You are calling them stupid? How elitist!

I was just, but only just, too young to vote in the last referendum. But I remember very well the debate. It was rather higher in standard than the latter one. Of course it was obvious we were joining a political project not just some common market arrangement.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    Possibly the best and most important speech on the EU/EEC was made my Mr Hugh Gaitskill around 55 years ago: https://www.cvce.eu/content/publication/1999/1/1/05f2996b-000b-4576-8b42-8069033a16f9/publishable_en.pdf
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Possibly the best and most important speech on the EU/EEC was made my Mr Hugh Gaitskill around 55 years ago: https://www.cvce.eu/content/publication/1999/1/1/05f2996b-000b-4576-8b42-8069033a16f9/publishable_en.pdf

Do you really find anything compelling in that speech? Apart from anything else, his main sound bite is completely ahistoric. Britain didn't exist as an independent state for a thousand years.

I can't believe you find the economic arguments relevant, and time has proven that his 'tests' for the kind of Europe he would wish to join have been met.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

New Thread

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    Tim_B said:

kle4 said:

He was nominated 11 days after he took office.
    Oh I know, and agree with the reporter, I'm just surprised a bbc story woukd permit such a direct statement on it.
  • Options
    MetatronMetatron Posts: 193
    Gauke showed poor emotional intelligence in the charging phone lines to people on universal credit issue recently.Lidlington is older than May.Andrea Leadsom will have alienated lots of Tory MP`s during sexual harassment charges.Penny Mordaunt will have more appeal both to Brexiteers and the general public than Leadsom .
    Thinking outside the box if May were to change senior cabinet posts this year she might replace Davis with Steve Baker,Hammond with Greg Clark or Liz Truss ,Boris with Rory Stewart.
This discussion has been closed.