Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Will the other affiliated unions follow the GMB’s lead?

13»

Comments

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Pulpstar said:

Clegg leadership specials suspended on Ladbrokes...

= someone has put £2 on...
  • Options
    Mr. M, I hope your offspring is doing well. A few months old now?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Sean_F said:

JohnO said:

tim said:

JohnO said:

Maybe we caring pbTories should organize a massive humanitarian assistance programme for tim. No massive intervention. Poor defenceless lamb, he's being kicked all over the shop: it's a human rights catastophe. Send in the marines...

Ladbrokes Politics ‏@LadPolitics 1h
    Odds of the three party leaders to be replaced before the General Election:
    2/1 Clegg
    3/1 Cameron
    4/1 Miliband

PB Tory reality is not of the real world

I'm sure you're looking forward to this

Ladbrokes Politics ‏@LadPolitics 2h
    Iain Duncan Smith cut from 16/1 to 8/1 to be Next Cabinet Minister out. http://bit.ly/1aRWdfm

The bigot who strapped your party to Section 28 proving what a talent he is today.
    Son, take a breather. Your hysterical antics are highly amusing to us but they can't be doing you any good whatever. Honestly.
    There is a growing note of desperation about tim, as Labour's lead gradually diminishes, and each economic statistic turns against him.

Quite so Sean.

"tim" is thrashing around in a admirably determined but entirely fruitless fashion as the prospect of a Miliband government recedes like butter from a hot knife.

Essentially "tim's" increasing desperation should be as succour to all who wish Ed to fail as he must.

• Options

Incidentally who say post war have been some of our less intelligent leaders and on what basis is that scored?

Every Lib / LibDem party leader; David Ennals; John Prescott; Neil Kinnock.

These are the most obvious nams that come to mind. Well, names are harder with LibDem leaders but being third rate more or less forms part of the JD, so all are safe to include.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Mr. T, I thought you were becoming annoyingly fit and healthy due to a newfound(ish) liking for the gym?

Have you considered using a lasso?

Strange but true: for a short time some of the retiarii [Roman gladiators who used a net and trident] instead used a lasso (according to Philip Matyszak's eminently enjoyable Gladiator Unofficial Manual).

We use the equivalent of an extendable dog lease...
  • Options

The only party that wants to reverse it is the FDP. Let's watch their score in the elections and see how much the Germans are regretting renewables.

Disingenuous, as I'm sure you know.

All parties oppose the restoration of the death penalty, in opposition to the electorate. This does not mean that any particular GE outcome amounts to electoral endorsement of the parties' position.

See also immigration, law and order, EU membership etc.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited September 2013
    TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

I'd say the 3/1 on Cameron being replaced before the next GE is one of the worst value bets in politics. 4/1 Miliband is poor too.

What about the 2-1 on Clegg ?

Clegg is a different bet because I'm not clear if he actually wants to stay - the other two do. One for the LDs to comment on.
    I've always considered a good route for the Lib Dems is for Clegg to proclaim the coalition a success around December 2014 (After the Nov Statement) , then resign the leadership and his place as deputy PM "We must part ways", "Excellent 5 years". Farron takes over, squeezes some big concessions out of Osborne for confidence and supply in the March 2015 budget (Or not) and then we have a GE anyway in the next month or so whatever.

Edit: It kind of plays the 'We were responsible and dind't bring down the Gov't early card and also the 'We're lefties now' card which seems to b what most LD 2010 voters want.
    Of course if this happens it is probably good news for the Lib Dems, and follows as bad news for Labour and thus is good news for Cameron.
  • Options
    Given EdM's extraordinarily bad personal polling numbers, it really would be some achievement for the Tories not to win in 2015. But should the worst happen from their perspective, Cameron would become the Tory leader who failed to secure a majority against a Labour party led by two hugely unpopular leaders: Gordon Brown, despite the longest, deepest recession in living memory; and EdM, despite what looks like it is going to be two years of steady growth between now and GE 2015. Would Dave personally get the blame or would Tories realise it's all about the toxicity of the brand they have created? I doubt either, frankly. It's bound to be somebody else's fault!!
  • Options
    tim said:

Are BT and BA energy companies and/or an oligopoly?

All airlines pretty much are energy companies now.

The majority of their costs are fixed. The most significant floating one is that of fuel. As of about 20 years ago, airlines started recruiting oil traders to manage their commodity exposure to jet fuel prices.

In the same way, a lot of retail enterprises are actually credit companies or property companies with a secondary activity in selling things.

BT is effectively just a pension fund with a small sideline in telephony.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Cyclefree said:

(I don't accept the claim that he "knifed" his brother - David M had no more automatic claim to be Labour leader than I do.)

He may be a good PM; he may be biding his time, who knows. It's worth remembering that even Thatcher came to power relatively policy-lite and with a lot of doubts about her style and leadership skills and with most of her party sceptical about her abilities. She didn't fully become "Thatcher" until later.

The real risk for Labour, it seems to me, will be the the gap between the expectations of those voting for them and what they can actually do when in power.

I think the "knifing" claim depends on whether you believe what some in the press have claimed - that in 2009 when he persuaded his brother not to stand against Brown it was because he planned to run after the election. I doubt anyone will ever really know the truth except the brothers.

On the PM question - for me the Syria thing has turned it. He is either devious or weak - neither of which are good options in a PM in a matter of national interest.

The last point is entirely fair - unless the Tories do too good a job of turning round the economy...
  • Options

The only party that wants to reverse it is the FDP. Let's watch their score in the elections and see how much the Germans are regretting renewables.

Disingenuous, as I'm sure you know.

All parties oppose the restoration of the death penalty, in opposition to the electorate. This does not mean that any particular GE outcome amounts to electoral endorsement of the parties' position.

See also immigration, law and order, EU membership etc.
    We discussed this up-thread when Patrick came back with a point about the parties being out-of-touch with the man in the street. It's of course possible for them to be out-of-touch, but the polling seems to show that in this case they're in touch, and the voters want renewables, even when they know it's going to cost them more.

The opposite case, that the Germans are regretting renewables, seems to be based on the fact that one bloke with a writing slot in Der Speigel doesn't like them.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,343
    I think the strength and consistency of support for wind power is pretty surprising - I would not have expected a poll that pointed out the subsidy still to show a large majority in favour. It's obviously possible to be sceptical about whether the public is right, of course, but that's not the point - the political point is that parties which come out against wind power are spitting in the wind, so to speak, unless they're going for a niche vote.

As for our super-sinophile SeanT, note that China's wind energy investment is the largest in the world by a considerable margin. China is just throwing lots of money at everything so one can prove most things by referring to them. (In the case of energy, throwing lots of money at everything may in fact be the right policy.)

• Options
    Have we heard from Mike Smithson recently ??

Apparently last seen swimming off a sunny French beach in a skimpy thong and stick on knotted hanky.

I have to inform PBers that rumours abound that he's had a disconcerting encounter with a ferociously paddling Eric Pickles, the wake from which engulfed our dearly beloved OGH and dashed him against the rocks. Further reports have him sluggishly meandering in the dunes mumbling ;

"Swimming Here .... I was only Swimming Here"
  • Options
    Calm down Southernobserver - You are exasperating on something something that has not happened yet for gods sake. Try staying in 2013 where The tories have produced an improving economy and very much in with a chance of a 2015 victory. Ed Miliband is labours problem not the Tories
  • Options
    Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

(I don't accept the claim that he "knifed" his brother - David M had no more automatic claim to be Labour leader than I do.)

He may be a good PM; he may be biding his time, who knows. It's worth remembering that even Thatcher came to power relatively policy-lite and with a lot of doubts about her style and leadership skills and with most of her party sceptical about her abilities. She didn't fully become "Thatcher" until later.

The real risk for Labour, it seems to me, will be the the gap between the expectations of those voting for them and what they can actually do when in power.

I think the "knifing" claim depends on whether you believe what some in the press have claimed - that in 2009 when he persuaded his brother not to stand against Brown it was because he planned to run after the election. I doubt anyone will ever really know the truth except the brothers.

On the PM question - for me the Syria thing has turned it. He is either devious or weak - neither of which are good options in a PM in a matter of national interest.

The last point is entirely fair - unless the Tories do too good a job of turning round the economy...
    David Miliband was right not to resign in 2009 in order to prompt a leadership change. It would have been messy and the Brownites would never have forgiven him. He may not have been the beneficiary anyway in terms of winning the crown and in any case would have been a has-been in his forties had he then lost the election anyway.

Where he went wrong was not in extracting anything in return for staying, such as a promise from Brown and Ed to support him for the leadership when a vacancy came up for the leadership.
  • Options
    re the kniving of David Miliband or not - who cares beyond its not that healthy for a party to have brothers as its two choices of leader. I know Cuba does it but it shows a certian disposition towards cliques
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    tim said:

@Southam

Don't forget Miliband has led Cameron in 15 out of the last 18 months MORI leader ratings polls.
    On PB David Cameron is always overrestimated.

(and when he fails it's always someone elses fault)

Is that your last remaining comfort blanket - that Ed HAS previously led in the Leaders' ratings? Aren't you just a teeny weeny worried that he has slipped back - and by some margin - NOW and the future doesn't look much brighter, does it?

Poor lamb, but then you put so much store on mid-term ratings.
  • Options
    tim said:

@Southam

Don't forget Miliband has led Cameron in 15 out of the last 18 months MORI leader ratings polls.
    On PB David Cameron is always overrestimated.

(and when he fails it's always someone elses fault)

On PB Ed Miliband is never overestimated .... titters

(and when he fails it's Ed that will be at fault)

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

I think the strength and consistency of support for wind power is pretty surprising - I would not have expected a poll that pointed out the subsidy still to show a large majority in favour. It's obviously possible to be sceptical about whether the public is right, of course, but that's not the point - the political point is that parties which come out against wind power are spitting in the wind, so to speak, unless they're going for a niche vote.

As for our super-sinophile SeanT, note that China's wind energy investment is the largest in the world by a considerable margin. China is just throwing lots of money at everything so one can prove most things by referring to them. (In the case of energy, throwing lots of money at everything may in fact be the right policy.)

I'm no advocate of renewables but if you've ever been to North China in particular (Xi'an, Beijing...) you can see why they are trying to diversify out of coal. The average Britain's concern is his or her bill way over any 'green' concerns. Different horses, different courses.
  • Options
    The NAO's commentary on the implementation of the Universal Credit is about as damning as it could be. It really should be a resignation matter. Iain Duncan Smith is fortunate that the coalition is so carefully brokered and that he is a key component in keeping the Tory headbangers reasonably quiet.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756

re the kniving of David Miliband or not - who cares beyond its not that healthy for a party to have brothers as its two choices of leader. I know Cuba does it but it shows a certian disposition towards cliques

"its not that healthy for a party to have brothers as its two choices of leader"

What about married couples say Ed and Yvette or Hattie and Jack ? Or potentially some of those parent and child tie ups ? If you discard people on the grounds of family where does the hereditary party look for a leader ?
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    @tim - Indeed and I've put money where mouth is for 2015. Many a slip twixt cup and lip (on all three of them) but compare and contrast our respective moods. Go and find inner tranquility by watching a few cat videos in the privacy of your basement....it'll do you the power of restorative serenity. And will definitely hone up your political acuity.
  • Options

Given EdM's extraordinarily bad personal polling numbers, it really would be some achievement for the Tories not to win in 2015.

They'll outpoll Labour because Cameron is a superior leader to Miliband, but could still lose.
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    Charles said:

I'm always a little sceptical about single issue polling.

As you say, there are strong majorities in favour of renewables.

Equally, I'm sure if you polled it there would be strong opposition to rising energy bills

So either: (a) the general public lacks the information to make a judgement (b) they are bipolar or (c) they don't connect the dots in a single issue poll

Or (d) they believe the statements made by some that the cost of renewables adds only a little to their energy bills, which have risen by vast amounts due to increases in the costs of fossil fuels - so they see renewables as a good long-term alternative to increasingly expensive fossil fuels.

It would be one thing to claim that renewables are too expensive back in the late 1990s when the oil price was bumping along below $20 a barrel, but with renewable technology continuing to get cheaper, year by year, and higher fossil fuel prices a major source of inflationary pressure, it becomes a much less tenable claim to make today.
This discussion has been closed.