Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Telegraph front page that has been making the political we

Comments

• Options

Looking at that front page, 8 of those are solicitors/barristers, including a few QCs and one former Attorney General of England & Wales and one former Sol-Gen too.

They have sound judgment based on their professions.

No doubt you'd say the same about George Jeffreys.
    Nope

1) He was a Ramshagger Welsh

2) He's been dead for over 300 years, it is never wise to judge historical figures to modern day standards.
    So why do you persist in doing so with Dave and George?
    I'm not sure of the point you're making.
  • Options

Looking at that front page, 8 of those are solicitors/barristers, including a few QCs and one former Attorney General of England & Wales and one former Sol-Gen too.

They have sound judgment based on their professions.

No doubt you'd say the same about George Jeffreys.
    Nope

1) He was a Ramshagger Welsh

2) He's been dead for over 300 years, it is never wise to judge historical figures to modern day standards.
    So why do you persist in doing so with Dave and George?
    I'm not sure of the point you're making.
    Just trying to inject a little humour.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,222
    edited November 2017

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

58% of Americans support a FTA with the UK, 9% are opposed and 32% don't know.

Trump voters are most supportive with 78% backing a FTA compared to 52% of Clinton voters.
    https://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2017/11/lord-ashcroft-what-american-voters-think-of-trump.html

There is no realistic chance of an FTA with the US (anytime soon) because:

1. They will impose the same ISDS structure that they have with NAFTA. This means that secret courts of two American and one non-America have the right to rule that British laws are incompatible with the FTA. For example, in Canada, this led to the Quebec government's law requiring GM products to be labelled being thrown out.

2. No US FTA would be acceptable if it did not allow full access of US agricultural products to the UK. This means that you will have the choice between expensive British products (because they are made to UK food standards) against cheap US ones (made to US standards).

3. The US, in all recent FTAs, requires that governments keep their intellectual property laws in lock step with the US. So, if the US changes the law on copyright length, we will be treaty bound to change ours.
    Not soon no and certainly not pre Brexit but while there is obviously a lot to iron out in terms of what the US will require for any deal the USA remains the largest single destination for UK exports so minimising tariffs on those exports would benefit the UK economy.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,229
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Off topic but maybe of interest.

My local authority ( Conwy) are about to approve 4 week bin collections and this after 5% rate increase for years

Enjoy the rats.
    We are good at recycling in the County and of course the weekly food waste and trolley block with plastic, cardboard, glass and paper will continue but many, especially families, will struggle and then the danger rises of fly tipping
    We’ve got fortnightly bin collection and tbh we would not manage without the ability to offload rubbish on my mother in law who now lives alone.
    Is that because her house is now full of your trash?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    MikeL said:

Animal welfare clause:

295 - 313

Govt majority up to 18!

Weird. Animals cease to be sentient because we leave the EU, thanks to a Bill that is supposedly not intended to change the legislative framework.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,579

The Independent is another paper which has gone down in recent years (I think it’s only online now).

They do still try and do some serious journalism - for example on the refugee crisis in the Med. But they haven't really resolved how to reconcile the online-only model with their former setup as a print paper.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,524

DavidL said:

No one with any sense or intelligence.
    Perhaps the lack of sense is most obvious amongst those who think the Telegraph front page some sort of threat to democracy but this front page witty or amusing.
    Indeed. Doesn't stop the Telegraph being a rag these days though. Which is a shame as it was once a really good paper.
    Oh I agree. And I am not suggesting that the Telegraph front page was in any way productive. It’s just the double standards that I find trying.
  • Options
    The Times front page can't possibly be right. I'm sure I've heard that Brexit Britain is a nasty xenophobic racist place in which EU workers feel unwanted and threatened and yet it appears that we now have record numbers of them. Say it aint so.
  • Options

DavidL said:

No one with any sense or intelligence.
    Perhaps the lack of sense is most obvious amongst those who think the Telegraph front page some sort of threat to democracy but this front page witty or amusing.
    Indeed. Doesn't stop the Telegraph being a rag these days though. Which is a shame as it was once a really good paper.
    The Telegraph is still the biggest selling broadsheet though and 79% of Telegraph readers voted Tory in June, with just 12% voting Labour and 6% LD. By contrast only 58% of Times readers voted Tory, 24% Labour and 14% LD.

It knows its readership, more educated than Mail and Sun readers but more anti EU and even more Tory than Times readers.
    https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/06/13/how-britain-voted-2017-general-election/
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Trump voters are most supportive with 78% backing a FTA compared to 52% of Clinton voters.
    https://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2017/11/lord-ashcroft-what-american-voters-think-of-trump.html

1. They will impose the same ISDS structure that they have with NAFTA. This means that secret courts of two American and one non-America have the right to rule that British laws are incompatible with the FTA. For example, in Canada, this led to the Quebec government's law requiring GM products to be labelled being thrown out.

2. No US FTA would be acceptable if it did not allow full access of US agricultural products to the UK. This means that you will have the choice between expensive British products (because they are made to UK food standards) against cheap US ones (made to US standards).

3. The US, in all recent FTAs, requires that governments keep their intellectual property laws in lock step with the US. So, if the US changes the law on copyright length, we will be treaty bound to change ours.
    Not soon no and certainly not pre Brexit but while there is obviously a lot to iron out in terms of what the US will require for any deal the USA remains the largest single destination for UK exports so minimising tariffs on those exports would benefit the UK economy.
    I don't believe a Conservative government, whose majority is dependent on rural votes, would sign up to an FTA like that. I don't believe that those people (such as myself) who voted on sovereignty grounds would feel that swapping fealty to Brussels to fealty to Washington was an enormous improvement.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I can certainly see how someone with ideas about economic policy would be inconvenient at the Cabinet table.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Scott_P said:
    Basic mistake by Mugabe: don't annoy those at the top of the military.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    Scott_P said:
    Doesn't that game only really work based on who the other two options are to snog or marry?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Scott_P said:
    Gove would be a far superior, bolder and more imaginative CoTE than Phil.

But then so would a dead haddock.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    New Clause to put EU environmental laws into UK law:

297 - 313

Govt maj 16.

Pretty similar again.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Scott_P said:

tps://twitter.com/alliehbnews/status/930925694867116032

Curious it wasn't the army chief himself delivering the statement that went out on thebroadcasters.

Pity it isn't a coup though, don't military juntas often come up with fantastically dull names for their new order, like the Committee for the Reestablishment of Order and Democracy in the Homeland For a Better Future? Or Committee for Organising Unity Patriotically?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

The Times front page can't possibly be right. I'm sure I've heard that Brexit Britain is a nasty xenophobic racist place in which EU workers feel unwanted and threatened and yet it appears that we now have record numbers of them. Say it aint so.

Almost like we’ve been lied to by the Junkerphilic stooges of Remain. Again.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:
    Given his age they know there'll be a succession issue very soon, and they have pre-empted this to maintain control over events. The likely successor sounds like a nasty piece of work that the army wants even if the people don't.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Off topic but maybe of interest.

My local authority ( Conwy) are about to approve 4 week bin collections and this after 5% rate increase for years

Enjoy the rats.
    We are good at recycling in the County and of course the weekly food waste and trolley block with plastic, cardboard, glass and paper will continue but many, especially families, will struggle and then the danger rises of fly tipping
    We’ve got fortnightly bin collection and tbh we would not manage without the ability to offload rubbish on my mother in law who now lives alone.
    Is that because her house is now full of your trash?
    Probably doesn’t help to be fair.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,940
    edited November 2017
    As I said this morning

"Might be interesting if the Telegraph journalists (sic) took a trip to Sark and did an investigation into the Berkeley Brothers who currently live in their own little tax exile Brecqhou which is within throwing a cricket ball distance. They would find no shortage of Sarkese willing to speak to them."

As an occasional visitor to Sark I can confirm they have used their wealth to all but destroy the life on this once wonderfully sleepy carless feudal island. There's a great story to be told if any journalist can be bothered
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:
    Gove would be a far superior, bolder and more imaginative CoTE than Phil.

But then so would a dead haddock.
    Yep.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022
    TGOHF said:

What was the refrain? We haven't left yet... :D
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:
    I can certainly see how someone with ideas about economic policy would be inconvenient at the Cabinet table.
    Even someone who remembers that they used to have one could be embarrassing...
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

I don't believe a Conservative government, whose majority is dependent on rural votes, would sign up to an FTA like that. I don't believe that those people (such as myself) who voted on sovereignty grounds would feel that swapping fealty to Brussels to fealty to Washington was an enormous improvement.
    I agree entirely.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Many British farmers would welcome the chance to export cheaper but still high quality traditional British beef, chicken, pork and lamb to the vast US market.

Having a FTA with the USA, our largest single export market, much as we are likely to ultimately have a FTA with the EU, our largest export market combined together, is also hardly swapping fealty to Brussels to fealty to Washington.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:
    Basic mistake by the military. Why is he still alive? In the GOT you win or you die. If he or his supporters win back power these people are toast.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    The optics of this are absolutely terrible.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

I agree entirely.
    Compare US food to European food and the word improvement is in the rear view mirror.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Travel advice: Please can all British citizens avoid despotic nations with whom we owe debts?
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,995
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    We send 450m a week to Iran, let's send it to the NHS / the DUP instead?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Any PB Londoners already know how expensive having Boris around can be.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:
    Even someone who remembers that they used to have one could be embarrassing...
    Yes, it would be like the ghost of he who cannot be named coming back to haunt them.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    We send 450m a week to Iran, let's send it to the NHS / the DUP instead?
    Plus we were ordered by foreign judges to repay it... a cup of cold sick would go down better. :o
  • Options
    DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:
    Basic mistake by the military. Why is he still alive? In the GOT you win or you die. If he or his supporters win back power these people are toast.
    One wonders how much Mugabe personally is able to wield power. He is very old, if he is confident the military will not make his remaining years uncomfortable, is it worth not fighting it? I suppose it's a question many dictators have to ask, and particularly if they are confident their families will get no blowback from those who replace them.
  • Options
    Roger said:

As I said this morning

"Might be interesting if the Telegraph journalists (sic) took a trip to Sark and did an investigation into the Berkeley Brothers who currently live in their own little tax exile Brecqhou which is within throwing a cricket ball distance. They would find no shortage of Sarkese willing to speak to them."

As an occasional visitor to Sark I can confirm they have used their wealth to all but destroy the life on this once wonderfully sleepy carless feudal island. There's a great story to be told if any journalist can be bothered

Question for anyone who might know - are the Crown Dependencies Corbyn-proof?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Many British farmers would welcome the chance to export cheaper but still high quality traditional British beef, chicken, pork and lamb to the vast US market.

Having a FTA with the USA, our largest single export market, much as we are likely to ultimately have a FTA with the EU, our largest export market combined together, is also hardly swapping fealty to Brussels to fealty to Washington.
    Firstly, I live in the US (most of the time). There is plenty of high quality meat that's available. It's not clear why stuff that is transported 5,000 miles from the UK, where land is massively more expensive, is going to be cheaper than local high quality produce. On the contrary, it is likely to be much more expensive.

Now, such an FTA would be excellent for certain parts of the UK - like makers of Scotch whisky. But it would be a disaster for most rural constituencies. And it would create an unlevel playing field where British farmers are required to operate to much higher standards than American ones.

Secondly, do you honestly believe that the US would swap their insistence on their particular brand of ISDS tribunals? They are signficantly more denuding of sovereignty than (for example) the EFTA court. Do you think it would be acceptable for two US judges to rule (in secret) that a British law on food labelling constituted a non-tariff barrier and was therefore not allowed?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

But in fairness this lie was not on the side of a bus. That makes all the difference. Apparently.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:
    One wonders how much Mugabe personally is able to wield power. He is very old, if he is confident the military will not make his remaining years uncomfortable, is it worth not fighting it? I suppose it's a question many dictators have to ask, and particularly if they are confident their families will get no blowback from those who replace them.
    I would not be selling life insurance to his family. They are likely to become inconvenient.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Firstly, I live in the US (most of the time). There is plenty of high quality meat that's available. It's not clear why stuff that is transported 5,000 miles from the UK, where land is massively more expensive, is going to be cheaper than local high quality produce. On the contrary, it is likely to be much more expensive.

Now, such an FTA would be excellent for certain parts of the UK - like makers of Scotch whisky. But it would be a disaster for most rural constituencies. And it would create an unlevel playing field where British farmers are required to operate to much higher standards than American ones.

Secondly, do you honestly believe that the US would swap their insistence on their particular brand of ISDS tribunals? They are signficantly more denuding of sovereignty than (for example) the EFTA court. Do you think it would be acceptable for two US judges to rule (in secret) that a British law on food labelling constituted a non-tariff barrier and was therefore not allowed?
    People who will buy British meat will tend to be of higher income anyway and buying it, for example British beef, for quality value and for some variety and to add to the interest at a dinner party, if British meat becomes relatively cheaper than it is now that will add to its attraction.

Who knows what the terms of trade are or will be, that will be up to years of negotiation but it is absurd that having left the EU we ultimately end up with a FTA with them while refusing the chance of a FTA with the largest destination for UK exports.
  • Options

We do have a weekly food waste collection together with a trolley block of three containers, one for paper, one for plastic, and one for cardboard and glass

Impressive really, all our recycling stuff goes into the same recycling bin. Even then plenty of people put the wrong things in!

• Options
    kyf_100 said:

Roger said:

As I said this morning

Think the question is - is the UK economy Corbyn proof
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

+1
  • Options
    Do I sense a fraction of mood swing today? The Government is winning Brexit votes, the PM kicked Jezza's ass at PMQ's and looked physically better and more combative in doing so, Arlene says Corbyn would be disastrous for NI, Scottish Labour join Welsh Labour in chaos and Dent Coad continues to embarrass Labour. Then there's the ICM too.

No doubt it will be all change again tomorrow.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited November 2017

Scott_P said:

@BBCJonSopel: And now @IvankaTrump weighs in on @MooreSenate saying “There’s a special place in hell for people who prey on children. I’ve yet to see a valid explanation and I have no reason to doubt the victims’ accounts.”

I might as well burn my bet slips on Roy Moore now.

Can we all forget about Sunday's thread?
    Don't worry, Moore has just held a press conference where he has been able to cast a fair amount of doubt on one of his accusers (the one with the year book signature).

This will be seized upon to dismiss all accusations and make people forget he was banned from a mall for being creepy.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    It says the money has already be paid to the High Court.

To be fair, we got paid the money for tanks and neither provided the tanks nor returned the money. The Iranians are in the right.
  • Options

We do have a weekly food waste collection together with a trolley block of three containers, one for paper, one for plastic, and one for cardboard and glass

Impressive really, all our recycling stuff goes into the same recycling bin. Even then plenty of people put the wrong things in!

To be fair to Conwy the recycling is good but four weeks for a bin to be collected is too long for many
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:
    I would not be selling life insurance to his family. They are likely to become inconvenient.
    That thought prompted me to wonder 'whatever happened to Colonel Gaddafi's son Saif Al-Islam, the person most likely to take over in that family at the time?

Saif al-Islam Gaddafi is reported to have been freed from jail in Libya after six years. So what next for the son of Col Muammar Gaddafi, who once appeared poised to succeed his father as leader of the North African country

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-40246964

How'd I miss that?! Oh wait, '12 June 2017', now I get it.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Do I sense a fraction of mood swing today? The Government is winning Brexit votes, the PM kicked Jezza's ass at PMQ's and looked physically better and more combative in doing so, Arlene says Corbyn would be disastrous for NI, Scottish Labour join Welsh Labour in chaos and Dent Coad continues to embarrass Labour. Then there's the ICM too.

Best call a snap election while it all looks good then :)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

People who will buy British meat will tend to be of higher income anyway and buying it, for example British beef, for quality value and for some variety and to add to the interest at a dinner party, if British meat becomes relatively cheaper than it is now that will add to its attraction.

Who knows what the terms of trade are or will be, that will be up to years of negotiation but it is absurd that having left the EU we ultimately end up with a FTA with them while refusing the chance of a FTA with the largest destination for UK exports.

I would love an FTA with the US, but it should not come at any price. And we know what price the US extracts, because we can see the deals the US has cut with its close allies South Korea, Australia and Canada.
  • Options

I said earlier today that the pre-election doubts about Corbyn are starting to surface again.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

To be fair, we got paid the money for tanks and neither provided the tanks nor returned the money. The Iranians are in the right.
    We owe a lot of money to lots of different places I imagine - being pressured into fulfilling the debts at specific moments time through the mistreatment of our citizens is still problematic as a potential trend, even if we certainly owe the nation in question. Hopefully things will work out.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

I would love an FTA with the US, but it should not come at any price. And we know what price the US extracts, because we can see the deals the US has cut with its close allies South Korea, Australia and Canada.
    As I said who knows what the price would be, that is up to the negotiators to hammer out but beyond a FTA with the EU, a FTA with the US and China and Switzerland must be our key priorities longer term as they are where most of our non-EU exports go.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,671

We should give them the tanks. Unbelievably stupid politicians we have.
  • Options

LOL. Second time is the charm.
  • Options

And Manfred Webber from the EU attends a meeting with TM, following her personal invitation, and emerged a different person full of hope so much so that Faisal Islam suggested TM may have increased the offer.

At the sale time noises in France that conciliation is needed as they want the UK as a close friend post Brexit
  • Options

We should give them the tanks. Unbelievably stupid politicians we have.
    Don’t think we could under the international sanctions regime.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:
    That thought prompted me to wonder 'whatever happened to Colonel Gaddafi's son Saif Al-Islam, the person most likely to take over in that family at the time?

Saif al-Islam Gaddafi is reported to have been freed from jail in Libya after six years. So what next for the son of Col Muammar Gaddafi, who once appeared poised to succeed his father as leader of the North African country

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-40246964

How'd I miss that?! Oh wait, '12 June 2017', now I get it.
    Maybe he will get the use of that LSE doctorate after all. Still sentenced to death in some parts of Libya though.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Even with ICM the Tories would have fewer seats than they do now so there will be no snap election but they would still be the largest party if there was to be one based on today's ICM.
  • Options

We need more car crash performances from Jeremy as per today's PMQ's and Brexit first
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    edited November 2017
    DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:
    There don't appear to be any Mugabe supporters. I expect he'll be flown out to some luxury resort.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

Roger said:

As I said this morning

Fair point. I have some expat relatives who are thinking about returning to the UK. My advice to them was to keep their cash off shore for now, even if they return.

I was reading about how McDonnell supposedly has a contingency plan to implement some sort of capital controls the other day... Strange, and worrying times.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    kle4 said:

We owe a lot of money to lots of different places I imagine - being pressured into fulfilling the debts at specific moments time through the mistreatment of our citizens is still problematic as a potential trend, even if we certainly owe the nation in question. Hopefully things will work out.
    By the busload: £940m bill for Boris Johnson's mayoral 'vanity projects'

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/aug/18/bridge-940m-bill-boris-johnsons-mayora-vanity-projects-garden-bridge-routemaster-bus?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Not cheap doing business via Boris
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Roger said:

As I said this morning

Fair point. I have some expat relatives who are thinking about returning to the UK. My advice to them was to keep their cash off shore for now, even if they return.

I was reading about how McDonnell supposedly has a contingency plan to implement some sort of capital controls the other day... Strange, and worrying times.
    McDonnell is a real and ever present danger to the UKs economy
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,284
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

As a point of national strategy, are we more or less likely to be able to get the right deal with the US, at the right price as part of the EU or on our own?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

As a point of national strategy, are we more or less likely to be able to get the right deal with the US, at the right price as part of the EU or on our own?
    Being as the EU have sided with Bombadier over the tariff war with Boeing announcing today they will refer the US to the WTO, I do not think the EU is in line for a deal with the US anytime soon
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

On our own. As part of the EU we have to take into account the requirements of the other 27 countries as well as ourselves and the US.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,033
    £350m£450 million.
    Iran certainly has taken back control
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

I don't think either the UK or the EU is likely to enter into a meaningful free trade agreement with the US while the current administration is in place.

It is possible that the next US administration has a different attitude, but even then, I would be very surprised if the concessions required would be acceptable to the UK government.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Roger said:

As I said this morning

The Crown Dependencies report to the Crown, not the U.K. Prime Minister. Rights date back to the Treaty of Paris in 1259.

https://www.jerseylaw.je/publications/jglr/PDF Documents/JLR1502_Dawes.pdf
  • Options
    MTimT said:
    The Borowitz Report is always amusing. But it is important to remember that it is satire.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Roger said:

As I said this morning

Yes, it is important to keep up the pretence that foreknowledge of Brexit trashing the economy is an abstract fear of Corbyn not Brexit.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:
    The Borowitz Report is always amusing. But it is important to remember that it is satire.
    It is a testament to Trump's general level of eloquence that it is very close to believable he would term such a point in such a way.
  • Options
    To all those who think that Brexit is in trouble need to read the guardian, yes the guardian's, report on the meeting between Manfred Webber and TM today which looks like breakthrough is coming in the next couple of weeks and Webber is looking to extend the talks beyond Barnier

Really encouraging news
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Roger said:

As I said this morning

Yes, it is important to keep up the pretence that foreknowledge of Brexit trashing the economy is an abstract fear of Corbyn not Brexit.
    You may find that the news tonight of an impending deal with the EU will change the narrative considerably ( see the guardian)
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Where is the best place to track the amendments currently being voted on by the Commons?
  • Options

To all those who think that Brexit is in trouble need to read the guardian, yes the guardian's, report on the meeting between Manfred Webber and TM today which looks like breakthrough is coming in the next couple of weeks and Webber is looking to extend the talks beyond Barnier

Really encouraging news

Maybe why Theresa was on the top of her game at PMQ's
  • Options
    Some discussion about Nazanin and “Diplomatic Protection” - different from “Diplomatic Immunity”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-41971648
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    Rory The Tory was on Newsnight talking about Mugabe (I know he has a lot of fans on here)
  • Options
    Before I go to bed, here's an excellent article from The Atlantic on the guy behind The Daily Stormer: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/12/the-making-of-an-american-nazi/544119/?utm_source=polfb
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

Roger said:

As I said this morning

The Crown Dependencies report to the Crown, not the U.K. Prime Minister. Rights date back to the Treaty of Paris in 1259.

Superb. Thanks for this! It will put my relatives minds at ease...
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Roger said:

As I said this morning

Looks like Corbyn will have to abolish the Monarchy to get his hands on them
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

If we can't negotiate an acceptable FTA as part of the heft of the EU it'll be impossible to do one as just the UK. The asymmetric nature of the concessions involved make it impossible. Even a Conservative government with a Thatcher sized majority couldn't get it through. Once you added every voter to the left of Kenneth Clarke to the NFU, the Daily Mail and the entire Green lobby it would be a blood bath.

And the clever Brexiters know it. Look at Gove's moves on CCTV in abattoirs and neonicotinoids recently. He's trying to close off convergence with the States not start it.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    Just think if this is the end of Mugabe's rule of Zimbabwe he'll always have the WHO gig to work with... :D
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

May be we should deploy the video?
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Roger said:

As I said this morning

Don’t give him ideas!

Fun fact - the US State is New Jersey because Jersey stayed loyal to the Crown during the Civil war unlike Guernsey which sided with Parliament (Well, most of Guernsey - Castle Cornet stayed loyal, which given its proximity to St Peter Port led to the occasional exchange of canon fire) and after the restoration the king awarded the new province to a couple of his Jersey mates....
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Roger said:

As I said this morning

Don’t give him ideas!

Fun fact - the US State is New Jersey because Jersey stayed loyal to the Crown during the Civil war unlike Guernsey which sided with Parliament (Well, most of Guernsey - Castle Cornet stayed loyal, which given its proximity to St Peter Port led to the occasional exchange of canon fire) and after the restoration the king awarded the new province to a couple of his Jersey mates....
    I Hadn’t heard that. Cool fact.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited November 2017

Some discussion about Nazanin and “Diplomatic Protection” ...

Sadly that piece doesn't mention the dual nationality issue which badly complicates this case. It restricts the availability of diplomatic protection. Also, Iran doesn't recognise dual nationality (dual nationals are treated as Iranian only). From earlier today:

I doubt whether there’s much in the FO arsenal that would satisfy the family, given that Iran doesn’t recognise her UK citizenship and shows no signs of wanting to play ball.

Diplomatic protection allows a country to take up the cause of a national whose rights/interests have been injured by another state (I repeat: this is not the same as "diplomatic immunity"), but this can only apply once the local appeals process is exhausted – has it been yet? Even then there are still issues with the Master Nationality Rule: Article 4 of the Convention on Certain Questions Relating to the Conflict of Nationality Laws of 1930 means that "a State may not afford diplomatic protection to one of its nationals against a state whose nationality such person also possesses."

It would take some cunning legal work to demonstrate she was even eligible for diplomatic protection, and I can’t see the Iranians accepting such an argument. And even diplomatic protection isn’t a get-out-of-jail card. It seems to me the sad truth is that she’s stuffed, and is likely to remain so until such a point as the Iranian government might find it convenient to unstuff her.

Note that the Master Nationality Rule is one reason some governments encourage citizens to consider dropping their other nationalities – because retaining them renders them more vulnerable in situations like this. (I believe this is the official advice of the USA for example.)

Diplomatic protection is not especially powerful. It's generally been seen as desirable for the scope of diplomatic protection to be limited because it stops strong states bullying weak ones. See e.g. the Calvo Doctrine – Latin American countries being less than keen for the USA to exercise its power on disputes involving U.S. investments in the region, so hold "that jurisdiction in international investment disputes lies with the country in which the investment is located" rather than with the nationality of the investor. To combine this with another theme of today, several of Russia’s neighbours have for years been alarmed at how it has been handing out dual Russian citizenship to Kremlin-friendly inhabitants of their border areas, providing a pretext of “protecting Russian nationals” when the time is ripe (as has been exercised in Georgia and Ukraine).

• Options
    kle4 said:

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Roger said:

As I said this morning

Don’t give him ideas!

Its always tickled me that a US state is named because of loyalty to the Crown over Parliament!
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Roger said:

As I said this morning

Parliament can legislate unilaterally for the Crown Dependencies, although it usually does so with their consent. Acts do not apply to them unless explicitly stated to do so.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited November 2017

kle4 said:

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Roger said:

As I said this morning

Don’t give him ideas!

Its always tickled me that a US state is named because of loyalty to the Crown over Parliament!
    Lord Baltimore was given some land in the States because he allowed King Charles to dance with his wife at a state ball...

Edit: I should add that his wife was called Mary Calvert (Calvert being the Baltimore family name)
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612

Really encouraging news

Maybe why Theresa was on the top of her game at PMQ's
    If she offers up Euro 60 billion without linking it to the actual delivery of a trade deal, it might be the last PMQs that she gets to face.

Hague in the Telegraph stated that the EU will not get a penny until the trade deal is 'ratified'. This is the real issue. The trade deal will not be ratified until well after Brexit. Will May insist that the two are linked or not?
This discussion has been closed.