Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corporeal asks: Was this the best possible political result

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,090
    felix said:

Obama speaking well - not sure his words will make comfortable reading for Labour.

He has folded same as wobbly Dave , two muppets shown up for what they are , blowhards.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075
    tim said:

Military force not "time sensitive" and Obama will seek congressional approval.

So what the hell was the Polzeath Porpoise doing half-recalling Parliament?

Strangely, you seem to be incapable of grasping the concepts of cause and effect. Miliband's stupid actions meant Cameron couldn't deliver what they had agreed. This has placed Obama on a sticky wicket.

The long-term consequences of all this have yet to be played out, and it is the Syrian people who will suffer.

The laughable thing about your keyboard-warrior antics is that you were the one asking for parliament to be recalled earlier in the week ...
  • Options
    RobCRobC Posts: 398
    Although I'm very much with Clegg, Paddy and Ming on this I agree with you Corporeal that Cameron will in the long run not lose out too much from this episode. Miliband couldn't resist grabbing the headlines for the sake of the short term discomforting of the government and my opinion of him has dropped markedly as a result.
  • Options

tim said:

Strangely, you seem to be incapable of grasping the concepts of cause and effect. Miliband's stupid actions meant Cameron couldn't deliver what they had agreed. This has placed Obama on a sticky wicket.

The long-term consequences of all this have yet to be played out, and it is the Syrian people who will suffer.

The laughable thing about your keyboard-warrior antics is that you were the one asking for parliament to be recalled earlier in the week ...
    Well at least they will suffer a few hundred less missiles now that these two blowhards have been shown up for what they are
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    edited August 2013
    malcolmg said:

felix said:

Obama speaking well - not sure his words will make comfortable reading for Labour.

He has folded same as wobbly Dave , two muppets shown up for what they are , blowhards.
    Dave didn't wobble - the only wobbler was Miliband faced with up to 7 shadow cabinet resignations.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited August 2013
    Agreed. Obama has decided to follow Cameron's lead by seeking authorisation from Congress. This apparent delay in the US timetable may yet prove very lucky for David Cameron both politically and diplomatically, as well as very tricky and uncomfortable for Ed Miliband who has just publicly cut himself adrift from both the Government and American positions. Yet again, Miliband and his spinners have rushed into sticking two fingers up at the Americans and our special relationship yesterday for a bit of domestic party point scoring. And crucially before Obama announced his intentions, Miliband must be sitting with his face in his hands at his utter weakness and stupidity.
    Pulpstar said:

Politically and diplomatically it is the best possible result for Dave - when you combine the two.

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    LOL

BBC Propaganda @BBCPropaganda
    RT @Ed_Miliband Hey, @Obama, why did you unfollow me?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Actually I'm in a lovely apartment overlooking the sea between Biarritz and the Spanish border.

• Options
    Christopher Meyer @SirSocks
    So, Obama takes the Cameron path. Fine speech, but high stakes gamble. How much influenced by the Westminster vote? Quite a lot, I'd say.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    tim said:

Do you understand Obama wouldn't have done this without the events at Westminster?

Clueless.
  • Options
    felix said:

malcolmg said:

felix said:

Dave didn't wobble - the only wobbled was Miliband faced with up to 7 shadow cabinet resignations.
    Felix, Dave is useless , he could not run a bath never mind win a vote. The man's incompetence is breathtaking to watch, he is a donkey of the first order and has surrounded himself with his chums who are of the same ilk. This is what happens when people are put in positions of power due to birth and patronage rather than talent.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    Now that Obama is putting Syrian action to a vote in Congress, and given US public opinion is hardly gung-ho for war either (a poll yesterday had 50% opposed) and given too House Speaker Boehner is very sceptical, there must be at least a chance the House of Representatives could join the House of Commons in voting no
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    malcolmg said:

tim said:

Well at least they will suffer a few hundred less missiles now that these two blowhards have been shown up for what they are
    malc, just back from a week in the Borders \ Northumberland excellent weater and really lovely scenery. Reminds me why I don't want Scotland to become a foreign country ;-)
  • Options
    In Obama's speech I noted the words 'the UK our closest ally' and Cameron mentioned by name. We can can read the runes all we like but this is not going to be good for miliband in the long term. I doubt he will even be allowed to chase obama around the white house kitchen but is more likely to be thrown on the next Obama / Dave BBQ!
  • Options
    Just to annoy you.

"WOMEN’S Institute members cannot give away a knitted village they spent the best part of a year painstakingly crafting for sick kids – because it is deemed a ‘health and safety’ risk.

Their impressive miniature creation – which boasts intircate houses, trees, animals, a church and even a duckpond and a beekeeper – was made with the intention of it being gifted to a children’s hospice or hospital to comfort poorly youngsters.

But the 6ft by 4ft textile settlement, has been turned away because the soft materials it is made from cannot be sterilised. Around 30 members of Sidford WI, most of them grandmothers, chipped in to make the scene from wool and cardboard during the winter months..." http://www.sidmouthherald.co.uk/news/news/wi_can_t_give_away_knitted_village_due_to_health_and_safety_1_2360240
  • Options

malcolmg said:

tim said:

malc, just back from a week in the Borders \ Northumberland excellent weater and really lovely scenery. Reminds me why I don't want Scotland to become a foreign country ;-)
    Alan , Glad to hear you had a good time. We will never be foreigners. Have to say given the incompetence in Westminster last week who would seriously want them running the country and deciding your families future.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Slackbladder

'Do you understand Obama wouldn't have done this without the events at Westminster?

Clueless or just dim Tim?

• Options

In Obama's speech I noted the words 'the UK our closest ally' and Cameron mentioned by name. We can can read the runes all we like but this is not going to be good for miliband in the long term. I doubt he will even be allowed to chase obama around the white house kitchen but is more likely to be thrown on the next Obama / Dave BBQ!

Be a change not to have an ars* licker in charge then
  • Options

Poor Dave he'll be cold shouldered and not invited round for a chat with Obama and Hilary - Dave Miliband that is.

Imagine you emigrate to the States to escape your back-stabbing shit kid brother and he screws it up for you from 3,000 miles away.
  • Options
    'Weak' Ed Miliband has just set the course for US reaction to Syria. Poor old Tory press.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815

The only hope for Miliband now is to hide himself in a cubicle of the White House loos and hope to communicate with the President by glory hole.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

felix said:

Dave didn't wobble - the only wobbled was Miliband faced with up to 7 shadow cabinet resignations.
    Felix, Dave is useless , he could not run a bath never mind win a vote. The man's incompetence is breathtaking to watch, he is a donkey of the first order and has surrounded himself with his chums who are of the same ilk. This is what happens when people are put in positions of power due to birth and patronage rather than talent.
    Oh dear - envy is such an unpleasant trait.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Although I'm firm on no intervention in Syria, it seems that Putin has Obo by the short hairs and a naturally hesitant and indecisive president has succumbed to Russian blackmail. This will weaken the US and Assad will be laughing in his bunker, leaving Americas arab allies scratching their collective head.

For Israel the question - if there ever was one - is answered: Israel can only rely on itself.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

tim said:

Alan , Glad to hear you had a good time. We will never be foreigners. Have to say given the incompetence in Westminster last week who would seriously want them running the country and deciding your families future.
    I missed all that, I was too busy getting pissed off at Edinburgh Zoo where the sodding pandas went on strike the day I was booked to see them. Bloody communists ! :-)
  • Options
    felix said:

malcolmg said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

felix said:

Oh dear - envy is such an unpleasant trait.
    LOL, I would set my sights higher than podgy Dave the chinless wonder if I was to envy anyone.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    MaxPB said:

Ha! Looks like Obama is trying to find a way to have his hands tied as well now. For the points made umpteen times, intervention looks like a seriously bad option, very few are up for another 5-7 year mission in the ME.

It probably also means the UN report is not ironclad so he can't pre-empt it and get the missile campaign started in advance of its release.

As the UNSG's spokesman said the UN team which has just left Syria has no mandate from the UN to allocate blame for the atrocity. It will only attempt to verify that a chemical attack has been made through witness statements and chemical analysis of biological and environmental samples. It will be able to verify the chemicals used because as MSF said some neurotoxins were definitely used. Your comment about a report being not ironclad is meaningless.

• Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    felix said:

malcolmg said:

felix said:

Dave didn't wobble - the only wobbler was Miliband faced with up to 7 shadow cabinet resignations.
    He did not wobble he collapsed he could have gone for another vote after the US had presented their case if he wanted to.

None of the 3 UK leaders were against intervention until after the first vote.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

tim said:

Mr. Brooke

You missed the event of the year.

Manchester U defeating Brasenose College, Oxfotd on University Challenge.

Grandiose assured us it was a tactical concession.

• Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

tim said:

I missed all that, I was too busy getting pissed off at Edinburgh Zoo where the sodding pandas went on strike the day I was booked to see them. Bloody communists ! :-)
    Alan, LOL , same here , when I went to see them they were snoring away in their beds , you could just see a bit of black fur.
  • Options
    Andrew Neil @afneil
    Cameron says he understands and supports Obama position on Syria. Unstated: unlike Miliband.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

felix said:

He did not wobble he collapsed he could have gone for another vote after the US had presented their case if he wanted to.

I must be a bit tired tonight so apologies but I'm not entirely clear what you mean.
  • Options
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

Do you understand Obama wouldn't have done this without the events at Westminster?

Clueless.
    You're arguing that Miliband has determined US Foreign Policy are you?
    Or that Camerons inability to get Justine Greening and some bloke out of a cupboard has done.

Which is it?

Jaw-jutting chinlessness, tim.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

tim said:

Alan, LOL , same here , when I went to see them they were snoring away in their beds , you could just see a bit of black fur.
    I'd have settled for the fur malc ! The female was off limits for obvious reasons and the male had had visitor overload and was just refusing to do anything, so the Zoo gave him the day off. In the event we just made it a longer day round Edinburgh. I hadn't been there for years
    so it was nice to walk around and take in the sights.
  • Options
    Quite staggering. The british political leader most heavily lampooned as weak by the press since Michael Foot has just had the most tangible effect on US domestic politics since 1945.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

malcolmg said:

tim said:

Mr. Brooke

You missed the event of the year.

Manchester U defeating Brasenose College, Oxfotd on University Challenge.

Grandiose assured us it was a tactical concession.

An event which was repeated in the HoC - not a good week for the Oxonians Mr Pole.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

tim said:

I'd have settled for the fur malc ! The female was off limits for obvious reasons and the male had had visitor overload and was just refusing to do anything, so the Zoo gave him the day off. In the event we just made it a longer day round Edinburgh. I hadn't been there for years
    The Pandas are a real money spinner
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    AveryLP Kerry was always pro-French and has French ancestry, had he been president in 2004 he would have been the most Francophile president since independence, Obama has no such ties and clearly was attempting to reassure the UK in his speech
  • Options
    felix said:

Yorkcity said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

felix said:

I must be a bit tired tonight so apologies but I'm not entirely clear what you mean.
    The PM is a leader of a coalition goverment with a large majority, if he believes the case he can
    put it forward again.

He had no need to say that was the end of it after he lost the vote on Wednesday.
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

Clueless.
    Or that Camerons inability to get Justine Greening and some bloke out of a cupboard has done.

Which is it?

ROFL

tim Miliband hasn't any policies of his own so HTF could he have any influence on the US policy on dogging let alone foreign policy ?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

tim said:

The Pandas are a real money spinner
    Yup so closing it off will cost them, but they'll make it back if there are 4 pandas this time next year.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

tim said:

It's a lot nicer now that all those tiresome festival people have gone for another year.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

tim said:

It's a lot nicer now that all those tiresome festival people have gone for another year.

Next year you must make a point of meeting Roger :-)
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    tim said:

tim said:

Clueless.

Which is it?

Both of them - by accident.

It's all a bit like that film by the the "thick of it" people.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

felix said:

Yorkcity said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

felix said:

The PM is a leader of a coalition goverment with a large majority, if he believes the case he can
    put it forward again.

He had no need to say that was the end of it after he lost the vote on Wednesday.
    Are you suggesting he should have ignored the will of parliament - sounds like the EU approach to referenda results they don't like. Cameron is not perfect but I believe he is honourable and a democrat.
  • Options
    RedRag1RedRag1 Posts: 527
    I think there are so many on here that are turning into Dan Hodges, obviously not as quick as him, as he only took him 40 minutes to turn the Cameron vote into a brilliant result for his hero and and absolute disaster for Miliband, and the PB Hodges have taken a few days, but it is getting just as bad.

• Options
    I think the clear and obvious main outcome UK-politics wise from the shenanigans this week is that my bet on Yvette replacing Janus Miliband now looks even better value...

but then again I might have base reasons for that....
  • Options
    Forget those lazy pandas at Edinburgh zoo, come up to the Highlands to see the polar bears and the cute red pandas. :)

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

tim said:

• Options
    AslawAslaw Posts: 6
    Obama having lost his "fall guy - Cameron" now wants House of Rep.to take responsibility. He'll probably pop a few missiles, threaten more, feel good, and the situation won't change.
  • Options
    Dave's position is clear, the questions keep coming as to Labour's though... time for Yvette and to ditch Janus!

Nick Robinson‏@bbcnickrobinson3m
    Would @Ed_Miliband and @DAlexanderMP vote for military action in Syria if Congress supports, UN inspectors have reported, UNSC discussed?

Benedict Brogan‏@benedictbrogan4m
    Not convinced public is impressed by Parl/Cong playing politics with int'l responsibilities. Keener sense of nat'l obligations than pols

Isabel Hardman‏@IsabelHardman35m
    Obama move will highlight the honourable miscalculation that Cameron made this week… and perhaps the political calculation by Miliband.

Dan Hodges‏@DPJHodges38m
    What's Ed Miliband's response to that.

• Options
    "Dan Hodges‏@DPJHodges38m
    What's Ed Miliband's response to that"

HAHAHAHA as I was saying.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403
    edited August 2013
    Alanbrooke said
    Next year you must make a point of meeting Roger :-)

Hmm...They always say that you belong in Edinburgh when you can walk down the Royal Mile in August and no one even offers you a leaflet. I managed it many times this year.

I am actually quite jealous of the meetings in Dirty DIcks. A meeting of those on PB north of the border would be very welcome.

• Options
    RedRag1 said:

...[Dan Hodges] only took 40 minutes to turn the Cameron vote into a brilliant result for his hero and and absolute disaster for Miliband

Some have taken 40 hours and not yet worked it out, RedRag.

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited August 2013
    Obama wins either way. To those who favour bombing Syria [ unlike me ], he stands on the high moral ground. If he loses, he allowed democracy to decide.

More importantly he is effectively reducing US Presidential power to wage war. After all, the constitution says only Congress can wage war. However, successive Presidents have effectively ignored this. Just like in the UK, no future President or Prime Minister can go to a foreign adventure without democratic consent. Is that a bad thing ? That is what the founding fathers had proposed.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

RedRag1 said:

...[Dan Hodges] only took 40 minutes to turn the Cameron vote into a brilliant result for his hero and and absolute disaster for Miliband

Stop talking about yourself again AveryLP.
  • Options
    Twitter
    Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft 1h
    Cameron can emerge stronger (and Miliband weaker) after this week's drama. Time will tell if Cameron has learnt the lessons.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

RedRag1 said:

Note: The subject Avery responds to the stimulus as predicted.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Really good thread headers yesterday & today. Thanks to all concerned, a pity no time to read the threads themselves.

Oh, and thanks also to those who repaired the problem yesterday.
  • Options
    RedRag1 said:

I think there are so many on here that are turning into Dan Hodges, obviously not as quick as him, as he only took him 40 minutes to turn the Cameron vote into a brilliant result for his hero and and absolute disaster for Miliband, and the PB Hodges have taken a few days, but it is getting just as bad.

It's not all 'black and white' on PB. Many posters of the right and the left are considering the good points of the other side.

While I think Miliband has got rid of the 'weak' label and on some measures performed well this week, it's the long term which is going to be more important. A leader of the opposition has got to be strategic, it may well be that Ed is, but it strikes me that both Ed and Dave to a certain extent thought short term this week.

It's important when a leader makes a verbal commitment for it to be followed through. Many agreements are bartered face to face rather than relying on written treaties; there just isn't the time to get things done otherwise. Many other leaders around the world will look at what happened with Ed's actions this week - apparently giving Dave a commitment to bring labour on side and see someone whose word cannot be trusted. Dave was a fool to believe him and not plan accordingly.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Forget those lazy pandas at Edinburgh zoo, come up to the Highlands to see the polar bears and the cute red pandas. :)

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

tim said:

Red pandas! Too cute! http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/67/Red_Panda_staring.jpg
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Twitter
    Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft 1h
    Cameron can emerge stronger (and Miliband weaker) after this week's drama. Time will tell if Cameron has learnt the lessons.

The Tories must be seriously spinning if they have to rely Lord A to come to his assistance.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Ed Miliband's day just got worse. Like Gordon Brown, he never learns that cheap short term party political tactics can end up having far longer term damaging consequences for those that engage in them.

Isabel Hardman in the Coffee House Blog - Obama follows Cameron by seeking Congressional approval for Syria strike

"This suggests that those who tried to certify the special relationship dead probably need a refresher course in vital signs as it clearly isn’t headed for the mortuary, rather an acute unit (and Fraser explained why that assessment was wrong this morning). Perhaps it shows that Obama is aware of the trouble the US caused Cameron in initially setting out a tight timetable for strikes. But it also suggests he was impressed by the way the Prime Minister respected democracy in this country, even when that democratic process stung him.

But the President is not recalling Congress, which is not due back until 9 September. This gives him the time to roll the pitch in a way Cameron did not by rushing into recalling Parliament. So his move highlights an honourable miscalculation: Cameron was acting with the best intentions (even if you believe they were the wrong ones and that intervention will not help) but on a poor calculation. But perhaps his honourable miscalculation now looks a little more laudable than the political calculation of the Labour party."
  • Options
    felix said:

Yorkcity said:

felix said:

Yorkcity said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

felix said:

put it forward again.

Are you suggesting he should have ignored the will of parliament - sounds like the EU approach to referenda results they don't like. Cameron is not perfect but I believe he is honourable and a democrat.
    It was an option not to make such an instant reaction to the result.
    He then could have waited until the US presented its case.

Many on here believe Kerry and Obama have presented a stronger case.
    It is hard to understand this special relationship, in why they were not working together to win the vote on Wednesday, if it was so crucial for democracy and the rule of international law.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    What a bizarre decision by Obama...He`s a real chicken!Unlike Cameron he has the powers yet decides to go to Congress thereby avoiding responsibility for his actions!
  • Options
    Now Obama's passed the parcel to Congress time for Cerise to jump on Obama's coat-tails quick.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    fitalass said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

tim said:

Funnily enough fitalass Mrs Brooke has now moved the North of Scotland much higher up the agenda, she really enjoyed the scenery and the journey up to Scotland wasn't bad as we threw in lots of stops ( York on the way up Harrogate on the way down ). So if I can just find a way round the midges .... ;-)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    And how the hell is Obama`s decision got anything to do with Miliband.PB gets worse everyday with a bunch of posters wearing blinders making the most bizarre comments ever,an example being the author of this thread who seems to think the glass is always half-full.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

And how the hell is Obama`s decision got anything to do with Miliband.PB gets worse everyday with a bunch of blindsided fanatics making the most bizarre comments ever,an example being the author of this thread who seems to think the glass is always half-full.

If there's a battle going on inside the US administration then the decision helped the non-intervention side.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Ed Miliband's day just got worse. Like Gordon Brown, he never learns that cheap short term party political tactics can end up having far longer term damaging consequences for those that engage in them.

Isabel Hardman in the Coffee House Blog - Obama follows Cameron by seeking Congressional approval for Syria strike

"This suggests that those who tried to certify the special relationship dead probably need a refresher course in vital signs as it clearly isn’t headed for the mortuary, rather an acute unit (and Fraser explained why that assessment was wrong this morning). Perhaps it shows that Obama is aware of the trouble the US caused Cameron in initially setting out a tight timetable for strikes. But it also suggests he was impressed by the way the Prime Minister respected democracy in this country, even when that democratic process stung him.

But the President is not recalling Congress, which is not due back until 9 September. This gives him the time to roll the pitch in a way Cameron did not by rushing into recalling Parliament. So his move highlights an honourable miscalculation: Cameron was acting with the best intentions (even if you believe they were the wrong ones and that intervention will not help) but on a poor calculation. But perhaps his honourable miscalculation now looks a little more laudable than the political calculation of the Labour party."

And, how did Miliband's dat get worse ? It is because of Cameron's defeat that this decision was taken by Obama. "Just in case" is the decisive policy !
  • Options
    "Many other leaders around the world will look at what happened with Ed's actions this week - apparently giving Dave a commitment to bring labour on side and see someone whose word cannot be trusted. Dave was a fool to believe him and not plan accordingly."...so who's word do we take on this "apparently"? Dan Hodges and other right wing bloggers?

Just like the post below "Ed Milibands day got worse" and others posts below - They quote a reporter from The Spectator, Lord Ashcroft, Benedict Brogan, Dan Hodges etc. They might as well quote Grant Shapps, Peter Bone and Christopher Hope. Do they not realise they are all quoting right wingers?

The Tory spin machine must be really worried to be spinning so much.
  • Options
    tim said:

@YorkCity

"It was an option not to make such an instant reaction to the result.
    He then could have waited until the US presented its case."

That was a bizarre decision made in a fit of pique.

tim

Ed can always try a private member's bill if Cameron continues to shun him.

He would have to show a little remorse to get it through both Houses though.
  • Options
    tim said:

@YorkCity

Quite unfair - If Cameron had said we'll be back next week to vote again - you'd have been the first in the queue to condemn him. He lost the vote and accepted the result - that's democracy.
  • Options
    Obama is teaching Dave how to do things properly. He wins both ways.
  • Options
    tim said:

SMukesh said:

And how the hell is Obama`s decision got anything to do with Miliband.PB gets worse everyday with a bunch of blindsided fanatics making the most bizarre comments ever,an example being the author of this thread who seems to think the glass is always half-full.

It's just the people who get elections wrong.
    They convinced themselves that everything was good news for Cameron before the last election and then got confused when all their expectations were blown apart when the results came in

Which planet are these people on?How the hell is Obama seeking prior approval from Congress supposed to be bad news for Miliband?

• Options
    felix said:

tim said:

@YorkCity

Quite unfair - If Cameron had said we'll be back next week to vote again - you'd have been the first in the queue to condemn him. He lost the vote and accepted the result - that's democracy.
    "He lost the vote" - You are so off message....he actually won, have you not read the article and the posts below. Get with it....Cameron was the winner and Miliband the loser.
  • Options
    tim said:

@YorkCity

Tim,

I can only conclude that as well, he wanted to rush it all through parliament to a timetable he must have been aware off.

Obviously that timetable was not as paramount as he thought , as we can see from the whitehouse this evening.
    This special relationship has been a spectacular balls up this week in presenting its case in some sort of rational order.

• Options
    RedRag1 said:

"Many other leaders around the world will look at what happened with Ed's actions this week - apparently giving Dave a commitment to bring labour on side and see someone whose word cannot be trusted. Dave was a fool to believe him and not plan accordingly."...so who's word do we take on this "apparently"? Dan Hodge
    s and other right wing bloggers?

Just like the post below "Ed Milibands day got worse" and others posts below - They quote a reporter from The Spectator, Lord Ashcroft, Benedict Brogan, Dan Hodges etc. They might as well quote Grant Shapps, Peter Bone and Christopher Hope. Do they not realise they are all quoting right wingers?

Do Labour supporters never quote Toynbee , the New Statesman or the Guardian??
  • Options
    felix said:

RedRag1 said:

"Many other leaders around the world will look at what happened with Ed's actions this week - apparently giving Dave a commitment to bring labour on side and see someone whose word cannot be trusted. Dave was a fool to believe him and not plan accordingly."...so who's word do we take on this "apparently"? Dan Hodge

I don't know about the others but I don't, it kills your argument as you are only posting people who everyone knows what they are going to say. Whatever next, is one of them going to quote a Hodges tribute to Cameron.......oh, wait there
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    tim said:

@fitalass

"But the President is not recalling Congress, which is not due back until 9 September. This gives him the time to roll the pitch in a way Cameron did not by rushing into recalling Parliament."

Precisely.
    Dave wanted the Action PM headlines, Obama is not making such a crass mistake.

Obama is playing for time.

The G20 in St Petersburg is on the 5-6 September so Congress returning on the 9 September is perfect timing to apply maximum pressure on Russia to come up with a last minute compromise agreement.

Hitting Syria before the G20 would blow the meeting up as well as Syrian military assets.

Of course, if Assad repeats his use of CW in the interim he can expect an immediate strike now it has Presidential authorisation.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited August 2013
    So tonight another mess left over from the New Labour occupation era has been cleared up. Blair's Chicago Doctrine is officially dead.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    RedRag1 said:

felix said:

tim said:

@YorkCity

"He lost the vote" - You are so off message....he actually won, have you not read the article and the posts below. Get with it....Cameron was the winner and Miliband the loser.
    I'm not a member of a political party and it's you who seem worried that supporters of Cameron's position are posting as such. I stated earlier he is not perfect and has made mistakes this week but to play with an old quotation ' a week is a very short time in politics' - let's see how this plays out.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

And how the hell is Obama`s decision got anything to do with Miliband.PB gets worse everyday with a bunch of posters wearing blinders making the most bizarre comments ever,an example being the author of this thread who seems to think the glass is always half-full.

Fraser Nelson‏@frasernelson10m
    Obama’s decision to recall Congress before a Syria strike pays David Cameron the highest compliment. My blog: http://specc.ie/1dwjNPL
  • Options
    TimT2TimT2 Posts: 45
    surbiton said:

Obama is teaching Dave how to do things properly. He wins both ways.

There was an NBC poll out on Friday showing that 79% of the US public thought that Obama should not launch missiles without Congress' approval. In addition, he has received letters from both the GOP and the Democratic congressional caucuses demanding that he both inform them of the strategy behind missile attacks and seek their consent. Those events, coupled with the events in Westminster, are what has forced Obama to go the Congressional route, not his sense of propriety.

• Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_raid_on_Bari

Air raid on Bari 1943

"One of the destroyed vessels—the U.S. Liberty ship John Harvey—had been carrying a secret cargo of 2,000 M47A1 mustard gas bombs, each holding 60–70 lb (27–32 kg) of the agent."
  • Options
    felix said:

RedRag1 said:

They mostly quote the Daily Mail.
  • Options
    tim said:

felix said:

tim said:

@YorkCity

The vote came before the evidence
    For Cameron to claim that took the issue off the table no matter what evidence is shown was a bizarre decision.

If only he'd known the numbers on his own side he could've just pulled the vote or supported Labours amendment, instead he tied his hands.

Bullshit, tim.

The same evidence announced by Kerry in his speech yesterday was made available to Ed Miliband on the Tuesday before the vote. Miliband would also have been given access to additional classified information and any British intelligence not shared with the US (if any).

Miliband has absolutely no grounds on which to claim there was insufficient evidence.

His mind wasn't on the evidence though. It was on domestic political gain and averting shadow cabinet resignations.

• Options

SMukesh said:

Obama’s decision to recall Congress before a Syria strike pays David Cameron the highest compliment. My blog: http://specc.ie/1dwjNPL
    HAHAHAHA - Another one...Fraser Nelson....are we going for the full house.....has anyone got anything from any of the Sun journo's? Surely a quote from that independent columnist Trevor Kavanagh explaining how David Cameron is now in the strongest political shape of his life must be forthcoming.
  • Options
    BlueberryBlueberry Posts: 408
    The world's strongmen are being ostentatiously democratic.

First Cameron goes to Parliament, then Putin's suggests a G20 discussion and then Obama goes to Congress. Hollande will look dictatorial if he doesn't follow suit. And China has been a bit quiet. But apart from that, these are all good precedents as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    RedRag1 said:

SMukesh said:

HAHAHAHA - Another one...Fraser Nelson....are we going for the full house.....has anyone got anything from any of the Sun journo's? Surely a quote from that independent columnist Trevor Kavanagh explaining how David Cameron is now in the strongest political shape of his life must be forthcoming.
    Oh yeah,the Sun editorial this morning savaged Miliband as `the real villain`.They are desperate for Dave to win a second term but unfortunately he keeps f...... up.
  • Options
    tim said:

felix said:

RedRag1 said:

Occasionally.
    But not as pathologically as the lower league PB Tories repetitvely post the same Dan Hodges piece over and over again.
    8 times on one thread for the same piece last week I think, and always the least able posters.

Oooh I think you're telling porkies there - I lurk more than I post and when it comes to repetitive posting I think you're right up there. But I have no problem with it on either side.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_raid_on_Bari

Air raid on Bari 1943

"One of the destroyed vessels—the U.S. Liberty ship John Harvey—had been carrying a secret cargo of 2,000 M47A1 mustard gas bombs, each holding 60–70 lb (27–32 kg) of the agent."

Weird thing. Apparently the Germans bombing a supply ship they didn't know was full of mustard gas bombs led to the discovery of chemotherapy.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    edited August 2013
    @tim

When was the fieldwork done?

Also, it's been apparent since early August that the ~6pt lead has solidified but not moved on. Cameron would be pleased to keep it that way from Syria.
  • Options
    RedRag1 said:

SMukesh said:

I think you may be new to this game - Nelson is a Conservative but he has been often highly critical of Cameron.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    tim said:

felix said:

tim said:

@YorkCity

The vote came before the evidence
    For Cameron to claim that took the issue off the table no matter what evidence is shown was a bizarre decision.

If only he'd known the numbers on his own side he could've just pulled the vote or supported Labours amendment, instead he tied his hands.

"The vote came before the evidence". MSF have said that neurotoxins were used. The UN inspectors have no mandate to allocate blame for the use of the toxins. The intelligence points to the Assad regime as responsible. The inspectors' report will make no difference to the current conclusions as to the factual use of CW and culpability.

• Options
    tim said:

Survation ‏@Survation 11m
    Survation for The Mail on Sunday - Voting Intention (Change since August 4th)
    CON 29% (+1) LAB 37% (+1) UKIP 17% (-1) LD 11% (NC) AP 7% (NC)

All the summer hysteria from the PB Tories and no movement.

Labours percentage yet again within the Fort Knox style bracket. The rest is just noise.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    SMukesh said:

RedRag1 said:

SMukesh said:

Oh yeah,the Sun editorial this morning savaged Miliband as `the real villain`.They are desperate for Dave to win a second term but unfortunately he keeps f...... up.
    You seem angry tonight,take a rest lad.
  • Options

Benedict Brogan‏@benedictbrogan4m
    Not convinced public is impressed by Parl/Cong playing politics with int'l responsibilities. Keener sense of nat'l obligations than pols

What planet is Brogan on? The public are massively opposed to intervention as shown by all the polls.
  • Options
    felix said:

RedRag1 said:

SMukesh said:

I think you may be new to this game - Nelson is a Conservative but he has been often highly critical of Cameron.
    "Nelson is a Conservative", that's all that matters. So when people say "Ed's day just got worse" it should have read...."Yet another Conservative supporter thinks Cameron done well from Thursday night and has wrote an article/made a quote on Twitter about it".
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Thatcher documentary (and an excellent one imo) part 3 on BBC2 timely - focus on the world stage and UK/USA special relationship.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    WRT US , I think the Republicans hold much the same attitude as UKIP and the Tory right towards Syrian intervention.
This discussion has been closed.