Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB’s most successful election winner the latest to question w

13»

Comments

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,015

When the EU harmonise the tax and enforces the 35 billion fine on Apple on Ireland they will leave

I have my doubts. Ireland is a tiny country with a much larger neighbour. A neighbour which has given the impression that whatever happens to it is a complete irrelevance when set against its own Domestic politics.
    The idea that Ireland would, in these circumstances, simply walk away from an Alliance with 26 other regional allies in a strop about taxation, seems fanciful to say the least.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,369
    edited November 2017
    dixiedean said:

When the EU harmonise the tax and enforces the 35 billion fine on Apple on Ireland they will leave

I have my doubts. Ireland is a tiny country with a much larger neighbour. A neighbour which has given the impression that whatever happens to it is a complete irrelevance when set against its own Domestic politics.
    The idea that Ireland would, in these circumstances, simply walk away from an Alliance with 26 other regional allies in a strop about taxation, seems fanciful to say the least.
    But if Ireland has to accept a harmonised EU tax Ireland would lose her USP and business would be attracted to much lower tax Countries including the UK

17% corporation tax to EU average of 26% would concentrate minds
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    OchEye said:

HYUFD said:

Given the alternative is Corbyn very few

And the stench from the conservative front bench is a sweet as any rose....
    People might as well vote for Corbyn. Whatever policies he backs, some of them might achieve some good.

Why vote Tory when the only policies they appear to espouse are those that drive the personal agenda of the egomaniacs aiming for power?

The Tory party do not give a Tinkers Darn about the country. They are simply no longer fit to govern.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Lets see If Boris gets her release first
  • Options

dixiedean said:

But if Ireland has to accept a harmonised EU tax Ireland would lose her USP and business would be attracted to much lower tax Countries including the UK

If we lose access to the EU market, why would corporations base themselves here? To get a lower corporation tax in our domestic market of 60 million whilst ignoring the 400 million on the other side of the channel?

That makes no business sense.
  • Options

OchEye said:

HYUFD said:

People might as well vote for Corbyn. Whatever policies he backs, some of them might achieve some good.

Why vote Tory when the only policies they appear to espouse are those that drive the personal agenda of the egomaniacs aiming for power?

The Tory party do not give a Tinkers Darn about the country. They are simply no longer fit to govern.
    You can say that as a remainer but the leave vote may disagree. No one wins in a comprehensively divided nation
  • Options

dixiedean said:

It would. But that does not negate my argument. Given that the UK has shown itself entirely prepared to chuck Ireland under a bus in its pursuit of Hard Brexit, would it then be rational for Ireland to abandon 26 allies? I think not.
    You may disagree.
    As is your preroogative.
    Also, after Brexit, won't Ireland have a shiny new USP to flaunt? The only place in the EU with a workforce of native English speakers?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

If we lose access to the EU market, why would corporations base themselves here? To get a lower corporation tax in our domestic market of 60 million whilst ignoring the 400 million on the other side of the channel?

Why will corporations base themselves in Ireland when they could be in Germany and France. The tax issue is huge for Ireland - at least it should be
  • Options
    edited November 2017

dixiedean said:

Why will corporations base themselves in Ireland when they could be in Germany and France. The tax issue is huge for Ireland - at least it should be
    In Ireland they have an english-speaking workforce, low corporation tax (for now) and access to the EU market. It makes business sense, especially if the UK locks itself out of the single market.

Shannon International is also the old jumping off point for TransAtlantic flights so the Southwest of Ireland has good connections with Canada and the USA with the eastern side being covered by Dublin. It shaves a few hours from long flights.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

It would. But that does not negate my argument. Given that the UK has shown itself entirely prepared to chuck Ireland under a bus in its pursuit of Hard Brexit, would it then be rational for Ireland to abandon 26 allies? I think not.
    You may disagree.
    As is your preroogative.
    Also, after Brexit, won't Ireland have a shiny new USP to flaunt? The only place in the EU with a workforce of native English speakers?
    You may be right but so could the proposition that Ireland aligns herself with the UK as Ireland does huge trade with the UK - Irelands biggest market as far as I am aware
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Predictable but he is going nowhere - and I am not a fan but the onslaught for him to go is coming from those who want to remain and see him removed from cabinet influence
  • Options

OchEye said:

HYUFD said:

You can say that as a remainer but the leave vote may disagree. No one wins in a comprehensively divided nation
    We already have a divided nation, or had you not noticed? And when i say that the Tory party is no longer governing, just in-fighting, I say that was a voter, not as a Remainer.

Frankly, I do not really care if the UK Brexits. I have moved a large portion of my assets outside the UK with another batch due to move shortly.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

In Ireland they have an english-speaking workforce, low corporation tax (for now) and access to the EU market. It makes business sense, especially if the UK locks itself out of the single market.

Shannon International is also the old jumping off point for TransAtlantic flights so the Southwest of Ireland has good connections with Canada and the USA with the eastern side being covered by Dublin. It shaves a few hours from long flights.
    There are voices in Ireland who see the UK as their natural trading partner and a rupture could happen once the EU dictate their taxes and demand the 35 billion re Apple
  • Options

OchEye said:

HYUFD said:

+1.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

You may disagree.
    As is your preroogative.
    You may be right but so could the proposition that Ireland aligns herself with the UK as Ireland does huge trade with the UK - Irelands biggest market as far as I am aware
    Ignores history, my friend. Ireland would never have wanted Independence were rational economic consideration the main driver.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Its not Cable and the unelected HOL we should worry about, it is the story above on the march of Europe's hard right
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

You may disagree.
    As is your preroogative.
    Ignores history, my friend. Ireland would never have wanted Independence were rational economic consideration the main driver.
    The old saying comes into politics

He who lives longest sees most - and the story of Brexit will test that to destruction
  • Options
    Has anyone else noticed no sensational sex scandals or stories of tax havens on the front pages.

Have we run the course on these two
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Has anyone else noticed no sensational sex scandals or stories of tax havens on the front pages.

Check out George Takei's facebook page. Was certainly finding others guilty in the court of public opinion until..
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Clever move by Corbyn - helping to prop up Boris.....
  • Options

dixiedean said:

There are voices in Ireland who see the UK as their natural trading partner and a rupture could happen once the EU dictate their taxes and demand the 35 billion re Apple
    The UK is a natural trading partner for Ireland because of historical links, the 1949 Acts relating to the Common Travel Area and voting rights and the fact that the largest english speaking nation for thousands of miles is right on their doorstep.

That will not save them if we decide to widdle on them from a great height.
  • Options
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

You may disagree.
    As is your preroogative.

He who lives longest sees most - and the story of Brexit will test that to destruction
    Well we can certainly agree on that.
    As ever, we will see.
    And after the last 3 years, who can truly say they can predict the future?
    Not me, or I'd be a wealthier man!
    Good night and good wishes.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

OchEye said:

HYUFD said:

No. They have become a sect. Evidence based policy has been replaced by a belief system. Brexit is the Revealed Truth and anyone who dares to question it is a traitor who must be cast out.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Check out George Takei's facebook page. Was certainly finding others guilty in the court of public opinion until..
    Maybe I should but I have no idea who George Takei is

And my battery is on the way out.

Hope everyone has a good night - many more days of chaotic politics to come

Good night
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

You may disagree.
    As is your preroogative.

Well we can certainly agree on that.
    As ever, we will see.
    And after the last 3 years, who can truly say they can predict the future?
    Not me, or I'd be a wealthier man!
    Good night and good wishes.
    And to you Dixie
  • Options

OchEye said:

HYUFD said:

No. They have become a sect. Evidence based policy has been replaced by a belief system. Brexit is the Revealed Truth and anyone who dares to question it is a traitor who must be cast out.
    Maybe so - it certainly fits their behaviour - but it is not a reason to vote for them.
  • Options

I suspect the suicide in Wales May have given the witch burners pause for thought.....there is a small story on the front page of the ST about Sir Paul Stephenson being told about porn on a computer they claim was Green’s - but it’s feeling like dead horse territory.

There is one Paradise Papers Sir Alex Ferguson story but that too is feeling very dead horse - in this case DOA....
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    LDs big idea in Scotland, gender neutral uniforms.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-41947722

If they had mentioned kilts instead of skirts, there might have been merit it the proposal.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Scott_P said:
    Clever move by Corbyn - helping to prop up Boris.....
    Not going to let Tehran dictate who is foreign secretary

Not going to let the LOTO dictate who is foreign secretary

etc
  • Options
    750,000 demonstrate in Barcelona over the imprisonment of their leader

And it is good night now
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Polish Nazis, must be as rare as rocking horse shit given the German Occupation from 1939-45.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

Scott_P said:
    Predictable but he is going nowhere - and I am not a fan but the onslaught for him to go is coming from those who want to remain and see him removed from cabinet influence
    It's more like anyone who thinks Boris is a clown, whether they are Brexiteers or Remainers is becoming increasingly irrelevant. He is not seen as a competent Foreign Secretary or an MP, May gave him a chance and he fluffed it.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    dr_spyn said:

Polish Nazis, must be as rare as rocking horse shit given the German Occupation from 1939-45.

Few Neo-Nazis, you're right. But one strand of Polish thought with extreme nationalism including rampant anti-semitism has deep roots there. My mother grew up in Gdansk and saw it at first hand, and there's plenty more broad-based evidence. That's not to say they're a majority or even close, but it's more of a factor than most other countries.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

OchEye said:

HYUFD said:

Maybe so - it certainly fits their behaviour - but it is not a reason to vote for them.
    Quite so.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited November 2017
    dr_spyn said:

Not Nazis, but Facist. Calling for a Poland free of Jews and a Muslim Holocaust.

On Armistice day too.

https://twitter.com/JesseLehrich/status/929451829657853952
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    dr_spyn said:

LDs big idea in Scotland, gender neutral uniforms.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-41947722

If they had mentioned kilts instead of skirts, there might have been merit it the proposal.

I have no strong feelings about the proposal because I think it would make little difference. Some girls may opt for trousers but how many boys would opt for skirts?

In short, I doubt it would cause any problems
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

I suspect the suicide in Wales May have given the witch burners pause for thought.....there is a small story on the front page of the ST about Sir Paul Stephenson being told about porn on a computer they claim was Green’s - but it’s feeling like dead horse territory.

There is one Paradise Papers Sir Alex Ferguson story but that too is feeling very dead horse - in this case DOA....

There are rumours, whether substantiated or not, hope over fact, that a few media owners could be potentially embarrassed. True or not, it could be a reason that the Paradise Papers are not being mentioned in the newspapers.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

dr_spyn said:

Few Neo-Nazis, you're right. But one strand of Polish thought with extreme nationalism including rampant anti-semitism has deep roots there. My mother grew up in Gdansk and saw it at first hand, and there's plenty more broad-based evidence. That's not to say they're a majority or even close, but it's more of a factor than most other countries.
    After what Nazis got up to in Greece, I was surprised to see Golden Dawn aping Nazi insignia and uniforms.

• Options

dixiedean said:

In Ireland they have an english-speaking workforce, low corporation tax (for now) and access to the EU market. It makes business sense, especially if the UK locks itself out of the single market..
    North Korea has “access” to the Single Market - are you suggesting the U.K. will have less access than North Korea?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Top tip - don’t go to Iran . Ever.

Save you having to blame Boris when the Iranians lock you up,
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    Re Ireland and corporation tax rate: I wouldn't bet on it changing any time soon. Back at the height of the Eurozone crisis, Germany tried to blackmail persuade Ireland to change its corporation tax rate. It would not get bailed out, if it did't "get in line".

The Irish government, on the verge of bankruptcy, did not submit to this pressure. There is no way without treaty change to impose a harmonised tax rate on the Irish. (Plus, it's not just Ireland that has a v. low tax rate: there are also a bunch of small EU countries, like Estonia or Malta, who's entire business model is based around low corporate tax rates.)

So: I'd bet pretty heavily against the treaty change that would allow harmonised corporate tax rates in the EU.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

So: I'd bet pretty heavily against the treaty change that would allow harmonised corporate tax rates in the EU.

Wouldn’t any treaty change have to be put to the Irish electorate in a referendum? They should be able to contemplate the smouldering rubble across the Irish Sea to see what happens to those who do not comply.....
  • Options

On Armistice day too.

Just happens to be Polish Independence Day too:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Independence_Day
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Jewish_violence_in_Poland,_1944–46
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    On the one hand, Lab could just let the Tories continue to tear themselves apart and keep their power dry for a campaign, on the other I feel there is a real shallowness to Lab's EU strategy (and defence, tax policy etc) that itself is not sustainable. JC's age, although not a big factor in 2017, will be as he approaches 70 and the way Labour's membership dominates the leadership means that future schisms between MPs and the leadership is highly possible.

In sum I am thinking that Labour may look back on this as their honeymoon with the voters and may have little to show for it when (if?) the Tories rebrand under a new (younger?) leader - that is a big `if' but very possible
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,453

Nou Fil

This discussion has been closed.