Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Back to the 1990s? Maybe

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Mr. Borough, already terrible for people there... hope it can end soon, but I doubt it.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

calum said:

Mr. Calum, do you think it'll play out that way, given the next election might be in 2022?

I think the next election is shaping up to be before 2022.

In the short term everything seems to be aligning for the SNP - WM in chaos, Brexit only going to get worse, SLAB leadership election in disarray and SCON's support level has disengaged from Ruth's.

In terms of Holyrood the SNP will focus on delivering their own populist policies while happily stealing anyone else's.

The next election is shaping up to being a proper battle between the Tories and Labour. This will result in much of the anti-SNP tactical voting unwinding. Taking Stirling as an example - the Orange Trade Union Corbynista faction helped deliver Stirling to the Tories. I sense a number of these good fellows are still struggling to sleep at night.

Taking account of all of the above factors I can't see any reason why the SNP's recovery continues back up to the 45% level which would bring them very much back into the 45-50 territory.
    I don't believe it - crossbreak in last Yougov had SNP at 36 with Labour on 30. In recent years the SNP has underperformed the polls in real elections.I will be surprised if they exceed 35% at the next Westminster elections - and may well be behind Labour.
    Even then they would still be able to effectively dictate terms to Corbyn much as the DUP did to May.
    Only within limited parameters. The DUP could not tell May eg to repeal gay marriage or impose restrictions on abortion.
  • Options
    I can't see Spacey being sued. Everyone agrees that House of Cards was on a downwards slide past series 2 and this one was to be the last one. Plus the cancelled it , not him withdrawing his labour. Plus it will be hard for them to argue a morals clause based on it being an unkown surprise. It was yet another of those open secrets in the Industry. Considering the complaints of young male staffers from early in the Series there is no way they can sue. No this is to be buried.

Of course we can all have fun specualating about other aging hollywood former hearthrobs. who have long had rumours about frisky approaches in Saunas and Gyms, but the key point here being the kept their letching too gay pick up points, not in places of work. Or so I have heard.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

calum said:

Mr. Calum, do you think it'll play out that way, given the next election might be in 2022?

In the short term everything seems to be aligning for the SNP - WM in chaos, Brexit only going to get worse, SLAB leadership election in disarray and SCON's support level has disengaged from Ruth's.

In terms of Holyrood the SNP will focus on delivering their own populist policies while happily stealing anyone else's.

The next election is shaping up to being a proper battle between the Tories and Labour. This will result in much of the anti-SNP tactical voting unwinding. Taking Stirling as an example - the Orange Trade Union Corbynista faction helped deliver Stirling to the Tories. I sense a number of these good fellows are still struggling to sleep at night.

Taking account of all of the above factors I can't see any reason why the SNP's recovery continues back up to the 45% level which would bring them very much back into the 45-50 territory.
    I don't believe it - crossbreak in last Yougov had SNP at 36 with Labour on 30. In recent years the SNP has underperformed the polls in real elections.I will be surprised if they exceed 35% at the next Westminster elections - and may well be behind Labour.
    Even then they would still be able to effectively dictate terms to Corbyn much as the DUP did to May.
    Not really - Corbyn would simply dare them to bring him down. Given what happened to them in 1979, he would have little to fear from them.
    Yes really. The SNP have multiple times the MPs they had in 1979 and even if they did not vote his government down he could not get any legislation passed without running it past the SNP first.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

calum said:

Only within limited parameters. The DUP could not tell May eg to repeal gay marriage or impose restrictions on abortion.
    No but she would not introduce legislation on that anyway.
  • Options

Total collapse in Venezuela imminent :

"Venezuela’s economic catastrophe dwarfs any in the history of the US, Western Europe, or the rest of Latin America,” he said."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/11/03/venezuela-faces-epic-default-china-russia-pull-plug/

Only 176% interest? I'd want mroe than that
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

calum said:

Not really - Corbyn would simply dare them to bring him down. Given what happened to them in 1979, he would have little to fear from them.
    Yes really. The SNP have multiple times the MPs they had in 1979 and even if they did not vote his government down he could not get any legislation passed without running it past the SNP first.
    The SNP had 11 MPs before the 1979 election but were left with just 2 after bringing down the Callaghan Government. I doubt that they will have more than 15 in the next Parlianent.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

calum said:

The SNP had 11 MPs before the 1979 election but were left with just 2 after bringing down the Callaghan Government. I doubt that they will have more than 15 in the next Parlianent.
    On the latest Scottish Westminster poll the SNP will hold all the 35 MPs they won in June and maybe even win back 1 or 2 seats they lost.

They will therefore be well able to set the agenda of what emerges from a Corbyn government.

• Options
    I think a dialectic between Stodge's and Augustus' points is one of the keys to this. Political parties are indeed large and enduring Brands who's reputation should be paramount to them. At a *central* level the paid officer corp should be grasping the culture and seriousness of far more radically. For instance the new Tory Chief Whip comes from a private sector HR background has gasped the Dover case far more firmly, practically and quickly than many others.

That said Augustus is correct. Political parties are overwhelmingly volunteer based and for practical purposes franchises of a central brand rather than branch offices. At local level folk simply don't have the time, skills or authority to properly investigate this stuff. Being a local Mr Big ( in context simply being an incumbent councillor or hard working PPC ) gives you significant power and impunity.

To bring these two points to a synthesis I think you need parties to act more like Brands and have more centralised processes for gathering and documenting complaints but then simply passing stuff to the Police. They have the skills and resources to do proper investigations not parties .
  • Options

The Telegraph really have gone all Daily Mail, haven't they? The comments under Moore's article are even more embarrassing.
    https://twitter.com/martinbelam/status/926790483208110080

Just read it. The headline seems to bear no relationship to what Moore actually wrote.
    'The emerging solution to Ruth Davidson’s point with which I began is surely power-sharing. I am sorry if this sounds rather wet and middle-of-the-road, but the alternative which we are currently witnessing is detestable.'

His conclusion here is pretty much a reiteration of the headline - implying that the 'alternative' we are witnessing is the opposite of power-sharing, and thus seeming to assert that 'women are on top.'

He is getting dragged on Twitter for this article - this is another example:

https://twitter.com/pickardje/status/926785999086194688
    Nah, when you have to start teasing out implications from vague sentences you're on to a loser. Anyway, he actually asserts in his previous paragraph that the gynocracy hasn't yet arrived. It was just a limp and anodyne piece that the subs gave an incendiary headline to, no doubt to generate some traffic. Not worth worrying about.
    Nope, the sentences aren't vague at all, they are pretty self-evident, as I explained in the previous post.

His previous paragraph: 'We were once, of course, a country almost totally governed by men, and we managed. If we become a country totally run by women, no doubt we shall manage too. But why does it have to be one or the other? Aren’t most of us hoping for a culture in which it can be both?'

Touches on the overall theme of his article, which is a fear that we are heading towards a gynocracy in the aftermath of the recent stories of alleged sexual harassment etc. Thus the 'why does it have to be one or the other', him having created a strawman that there are now people angling for a gynocracy as a result of the recent stories.

It's a ridiculous piece. But no one is worrying about it. Most are laughing at him.
  • Options

The Telegraph really have gone all Daily Mail, haven't they? The comments under Moore's article are even more embarrassing.

There's a difference between asking not to be touched up and demanding that a man's life is ruined for allegedly putting his hand on your knee 20 years ago.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Freggles said:

Missed opportunity to say "Back to the 1990s? Definitely maybe"

Don't look back in anger...
  • Options

There's a difference between asking not to be touched up and demanding that a man's life is ruined for allegedly putting his hand on your knee 20 years ago.
    People aren't demanding that a man's life be ruined for allegedly putting his hand on a knee twenty years ago. If you're referring to Fallon, after the JHB story, there were literally no calls for Fallon to resign.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    justin124 said:

calum said:

Sub-sample v poll

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/918813102682071040
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,845

Just read it. The headline seems to bear no relationship to what Moore actually wrote.
    'The emerging solution to Ruth Davidson’s point with which I began is surely power-sharing. I am sorry if this sounds rather wet and middle-of-the-road, but the alternative which we are currently witnessing is detestable.'

His conclusion here is pretty much a reiteration of the headline - implying that the 'alternative' we are witnessing is the opposite of power-sharing, and thus seeming to assert that 'women are on top.'

Click bait?
  • Options
    Re Mr Dancer and Rotherham: Reading the Jay report in full there are striking parallels with what's going on now. There is almost nothing new in the Jay report. It's simply a comprehensive narrative verdict bring existing evidence into a usable form once a media dam had broken. Everyone knew what was going on all the time. It's just creeping normalcy ment everyone tolerated it. And the root was power imbalance. It was as much to do with kids being poor and having uncaring, oppressed or inarticulate parents as covering up an abusing class. It was also weaponised in a culture war. Every case of CSE became a ' Rape ' and put at the feet of Muslims. As opposed to wide spread CSE being disproportionately carried out by men of Kashmiri heritage.

So here we have a " political class " carrying out sexual assaults when really we have male political operatives carrying out a wide range of behaviour covering everything from rudeness to alleged rape.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

calum said:

On the latest Scottish Westminster poll the SNP will hold all the 35 MPs they won in June and maybe even win back 1 or 2 seats they lost.

They will therefore be well able to set the agenda of what emerges from a Corbyn government.

Aren't some of their majorities now rather slim?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Click bait?
    I think so. The Telegraph is making " Premium " free this weekend to celebrate it's first anniversary. So they've gone for something juicy to drive footfall.
  • Options
    Mr. Submarine, "It was also weaponised in a culture war. Every case of CSE became a ' Rape ' and put at the feet of Muslims"

If almost exclusively black children had been raped by a number of completely white gangs, nobody would think twice about pointing out the race angle. The Rotherham disgrace wasn't weaponised in a culture war, the Jay report revealed the rampant racism and willingness, as you imply, of the authorities to turn a blind eye to horrendous crimes.
  • Options

Mr. Submarine, "It was also weaponised in a culture war. Every case of CSE became a ' Rape ' and put at the feet of Muslims"

If almost exclusively black children had been raped by a number of completely white gangs, nobody would think twice about pointing out the race angle. The Rotherham disgrace wasn't weaponised in a culture war, the Jay report revealed the rampant racism and willingness, as you imply, of the authorities to turn a blind eye to horrendous crimes.

Yet look at our current scandal. Can you point me to a single article critiquing the race or religion of our current crop of abusers ? It's all gender and power.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    HYUFD said:

calum said:

On current polls the SNP will still be on 35 to 40%, below 2015 levels but enough to hold the balance of power at Westminster and install Corbyn as PM.

The SNP would therefore effectively control the UK government as well as the Scottish government and be arguably the most powerful political party in real terms in the country even if independence has fallen by the wayside.
    WM polls SNP average is currently 40%
    http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/polls_scot.html
  • Options
    Mr. Submarine, has there ever been an insinuation of a racial angle? There wasn't one made when Vaz's scandal came out, and the same is true now.
  • Options

Re Mr Dancer and Rotherham: Reading the Jay report in full there are striking parallels with what's going on now. There is almost nothing new in the Jay report. It's simply a comprehensive narrative verdict bring existing evidence into a usable form once a media dam had broken. Everyone knew what was going on all the time. It's just creeping normalcy ment everyone tolerated it. And the root was power imbalance. It was as much to do with kids being poor and having uncaring, oppressed or inarticulate parents as covering up an abusing class. It was also weaponised in a culture war. Every case of CSE became a ' Rape ' and put at the feet of Muslims. As opposed to wide spread CSE being disproportionately carried out by men of Kashmiri heritage.

So here we have a " political class " carrying out sexual assaults when really we have male political operatives carrying out a wide range of behaviour covering everything from rudeness to alleged rape.

What the hell?

Why are "liberals" so keen to brush the muslim rape gangs under the carpet?
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    calum said:

HYUFD said:

calum said:

On current polls the SNP will still be on 35 to 40%, below 2015 levels but enough to hold the balance of power at Westminster and install Corbyn as PM.

The SNP would therefore effectively control the UK government as well as the Scottish government and be arguably the most powerful political party in real terms in the country even if independence has fallen by the wayside.
    So they would certainly hold the balance of power at Westminster on that rating and Corbyn would indeed be reliant on SNP support to get legislation through the Commons given no poll shows Labour reaching the more than 7% lead over the Tories they need for an overall majority at the moment.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    calum said:

HYUFD said:

calum said:

http://scotgoespop.blogspot.co.uk/ normally has a decent subsample/main scottish poll analyser at relevant times. I think he was reasonably close at GE17.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

calum said:

Aren't some of their majorities now rather slim?
    Also there was uncertainty in a lot of seats about who had the best chance of beating the SNP. Just a tiny unionist squeeze could see the SNP losing more seats on a similar vote share.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

dixiedean said:

Jesus. Any Answers is eye-opening re: sexual harassment. Feminism, make-up and women with no backbone blamed in the first 5 minutes...
    Edit: Now wolf-whistling makes women feel good. It only stops because they are old.

What about FGM, forced marriages, etc?
    And the ‘Rotherham’ problem.
    Again. What aboout it?
    Why a politician touching a journalist’s knee is headline news, but systematic rape of thousands of vulnerable young people in what we call ‘care’ is being ignored in all of the discussions about abuse.
    The media is - almost in its entirety - "for profit".

Look at the success of Hello, OK, E!, MailOnline's sidebar of shame and a million other sites, channels and newspapers.

What sells is stories about people of (even vague) renown. No-one wants stories about rape in Rotherham, starvation in Sierra Leone, corruption in Korea or any one of a million other "hard" news stories. They want to hear that an MP or (even better) an actor or producer behaved inappropriately.
This discussion has been closed.