Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mrs May has missed an opportunity and it could be costly

Comments

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Sandpit said:

That is slightly over-stating things by the Greens (quelle surprise)

At 16 you can't get married in England without parental consent. The same applies to joining the Army.

So the top two things on their list, you can't do without your parents agreeing.

Can’t pilot a glider without parental consent either, if under 18.

3/5 they’ve got wrong.

As well as vote, you can’t buy cigarettes, alcohol or knives, enter a nightclub, a sex shop or a bookmakers, or sign a contact or take out a mortgage until you’re 18.
    Isn't joining the Army the odd one out ? Why are 16 year olds even considered ?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,862
    surbiton said:

FF43 said:

I flew the votes at 16 idea past PB some some months ago and was astonished by the general hostility to the idea. It's in situ and completely uncontroversial in Scotland with even the Conservatives on board.
    You cannot vote but you can die for your country!
    If Kim gets his ICBMs, there won't be an age bar on that...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,072
    FF43 said:

I flew the votes at 16 idea past PB some some months ago and was astonished by the general hostility to the idea. It's in situ and completely uncontroversial in Scotland with even the Conservatives on board.
    Even when I was 16 (I'm now 30) I didn't like the idea. That the point was conceded for indyref makes it hard to resist though. If it is to happen we need consistency, as my problem is we tell people there are things they cannot do as they are not adults, like buy alcohol, but we say they can vote earlier? Casting a vote requires, or implies, more maturity than that needed to buy some whiskey.

I'm aware the situation is presently inconsistent already, but I would resist any change until we decide if 16 year olds are adult or not. If they are adult enough to vote, there are other things we need to let them do, in my opinion. Decide if we accept 16 years can be masters of their own destinies or if society thinks they need to be restricted from various rights.

I'd prefer not to lower the voting age as I think that goes against our general societal approach toward them, but I won't object if it happens if we actually treat them like adults, not children with votes.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Nigelb said:

surbiton said:

FF43 said:

If Kim gets his ICBMs, there won't be an age bar on that...
    And, for some reason, he will attack the UK and leave aside everyone else. Maybe, in his mind, we are not that important ?
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    calum said:

kle4 said:

If I may point out to the Green Party that 5 year olds spending their pocket money on chocolate or ice cream or crisps pay tax.

Ice cream isn't exempt?!

More seriously the arguments are superficially very convincing.
    How about 16 to vote in Local & Devolved - then 18 for GE
    I don't understand the logic - if you're old enough to vote you're old enough to vote regardless if the type, that's why even though I don't agree with it I think the case has been lost already and 16 year olds will get it.
  • Options
    That's an extraordinarily low turnout, isn't it? Must be a lot of armchair members in Wales (or out-of-date lists?)
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Sandpit said:

At 16 you can't get married in England without parental consent. The same applies to joining the Army.

So the top two things on their list, you can't do without your parents agreeing.

3/5 they’ve got wrong.

As well as vote, you can’t buy cigarettes, alcohol or knives, enter a nightclub, a sex shop or a bookmakers, or sign a contact or take out a mortgage until you’re 18.
    Isn't joining the Army the odd one out ? Why are 16 year olds even considered ?
    The get them while they're young principle?

They've raised the maximum age you can join the army I think, I've no problrm raising the minimum if it enables a consistent approach.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,442
    kle4 said:

calum said:

kle4 said:

If I may point out to the Green Party that 5 year olds spending their pocket money on chocolate or ice cream or crisps pay tax.

Ice cream isn't exempt?!

I don't understand the logic - if you're old enough to vote you're old enough to vote regardless if the type, that's why even though I don't agree with it I think the case has been lost already and 16 year olds will get it.
    Same logic as this:

thedailymash.co.uk/politics/politics-headlines/im-too-dirty-to-be-a-minister-but-just-dirty-enough-to-be-an-mp-says-fallon-20171102138412
  • Options

The Conservatives need to ask themselves what they stand for. Right now I can honestly say that I have no idea what they stand for other than hating the EU.

I chaired a meeting on this recently, a sort of focus group of local party members. One of the questions was to list a set of 'distinctive and enduring core priorities' for the party. I deliberately didn't leave much time for the question, because I wanted people to come up with the first things that struck them. The ones the group chose were:

Freedom, Capitalism/Free markets, Equality of opportunity, Responsibility, Sound finances, Choice, Fairness, Justice, Respect for law, (Free) Enterprise, Support for home ownership

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited November 2017
    surbiton said:

FF43 said:

Except under 18s don't go and fight on the front line. It is all army training.

Personally I would prefer everybody in education / vocational training until 18, then can join the army if they want.
  • Options

That's an extraordinarily low turnout, isn't it? Must be a lot of armchair members in Wales (or out-of-date lists?)
    Yes the very low turnout was my first thought too. I suspect name recognition was a factor. They had to amend the Constitution earlier in the year to allow the contest to proceed. As Kirsty Williams is the only elected parliamentarian in Wales she was the only one eligible to stand. But she had just resigned the role.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

calum said:

kle4 said:

Ice cream isn't exempt?!

Same logic as this:

thedailymash.co.uk/politics/politics-headlines/im-too-dirty-to-be-a-minister-but-just-dirty-enough-to-be-an-mp-says-fallon-20171102138412
    Well, there are some differences in responsibility so one cam argue it, but generally it's a fair point in these situations.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,232
    TOPPING said:

The Conservatives need to ask themselves what they stand for. Right now I can honestly say that I have no idea what they stand for other than hating the EU.

The things they are supposed to stand for (small state, individual responsibility) are very much out of favour right now and have been since 2008.
    Individual responsibility is always in favour. After all, look at the debate we've been having on sexual harassment. Aren't we all saying that men are - and should be - responsible for their actions not blame it on a general culture or everyone else doing it?

What isn't in favour is the sort of individual responsibility which is purely focused on being responsible for yourself and not on helping or being responsible for your neighbour. I would argue that looking out for others is part of what individual responsibility is about, that you don't walk on by when someone needs your help.

Re small state, maybe the Tories should be focusing on a competent and efficient state?

But Mr Meeks is right, it is hard to know what the Tories really stand for. Bringing on a new generation is one way of getting them to do the hard thinking about what Conservatism should be about for new generations.
  • Options

I chaired a meeting on this recently, a sort of focus group of local party members. One of the questions was to list a set of 'distinctive and enduring core priorities' for the party. I deliberately didn't leave much time for the question, because I wanted people to come up with the first things that struck them. The ones the group chose were:

Freedom, Capitalism/Free markets, Equality of opportunity, Responsibility, Sound finances, Choice, Fairness, Justice, Respect for law, (Free) Enterprise, Support for home ownership

Most of those should be seen in the light, as @Ishmael_Z noted earlier this week, of asking whether anyone would want the opposite, which rules out most of them.

We are talking about what type of country do people want to live in that the Cons can bring about and which distinguishes them from the other parties.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Most of those should be seen in the light, as @Ishmael_Z noted earlier this week, of asking whether anyone would want the opposite, which rules out most of them.

We are talking about what type of country do people want to live in that the Cons can bring about and which distinguishes them from the other parties.
    Arguably Corbyn's Labour is not in favour of capitalism / free markets or free enterprise or, possibly, sound finances. Or choice. Marxists tend to think that property is theft. So maybe your point is not quite made out......
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    TOPPING said:

Many people DO want the opposite of that list. They want government controlled businesses, equality of outcome (not opportunity), spend-spend-spend, and their version of 'fairness' with restriction of freedom on those they disagree with.

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2017
    TOPPING said:

I disagree. I think if you asked a group of Labour or LibDem activists the same question you'd get a very different set of responses. Yes, it might be that few people would actively disagree with those aims (although as has just been pointed out, some might), but it is the question of whether they are priorities which distinguishes the parties.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Yes the very low turnout was my first thought too. I suspect name recognition was a factor. They had to amend the Constitution earlier in the year to allow the contest to proceed. As Kirsty Williams is the only elected parliamentarian in Wales she was the only one eligible to stand. But she had just resigned the role.
    It does sound like a bit of a non-job - so it is hardly surprising that no-one was bothered.
  • Options
    If I were masterminding the Conservatives' strategy for the next few years, I think I'd major on "making sure that good work is fairly rewarded".
  • Options
    llefllef Posts: 298

Ms Dodds received 587 votes, with Ms Evans getting 519. Turnout was 35.3%.

That means that there were roughly 3130 Lib Dem members in Wales- thats not a lot really.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,907
    edited November 2017
    An interesting header cyclefree though I was a little surprised you didn't include Benjamin Netanyahu's hand on Theresa May's bottom outside Downing St yesterday. Whether he's not au fait with the political climate here or whether he was just being his boorish self is impossible to know but Theresa managed what Ladsom couldn't which was to keep her dignity.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,925

It's an interesting header by Cyclefree but Gavin Williamson ticks nearly all of the suggested boxes. He's 41, only entered parliament 7 years ago, sits for a Staffordshire seat, went to a comprehensive school then a northern redbrick University and study Social Science. Superficially he is exactly the sort of demographic and fresh face Ms Cyclefree thinks should be promoted. He has been and has gone down like the Hindenberg is some quarters. So clearly demographic change alone isn't enough.

Ah, but this was not the promotion many were looking for. (Happy to reserve judgment myself!)

A very good header, @Cyclefree. We ought to be able to appeal to the younger generation who have grown up in a world full of technological innovation, new marketplaces and multiple careers. They're not hungering for 1970s style unionised jobs-for-life. True, Brexit is a cultural complication: we need to reassure people that we aren't seeking to re-enact the 1950s either.

But we have to communicate properly using the right people. The working assumption was that there would have been a relatively substantial reshuffle, post-May winning a 50+ majority. It can't be postponed much longer, but the present unedifying spectacle may need to be played out first.
    For this Parliament, Brexit - which is unfathomable to large numbers of the u30s - is going to be a recurring, dominant news story.

I don’t see a way around that - short of some kind of new free trade and movement deal with Aus/Can/USA!
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,897

As a non-Conservative, I don't have a problem with anything on that list and I suspect most LD and the majority of Labour supporters wouldn't either.

It's a question of degree - there are those who would, for example, prioritise having a roof over their head over actual home ownership while notions of "fairness" and "justice" can mean whatever anyone wants them to mean.

Rank the list by priority and you might get different responses but to assume somehow that only Conservatives "believe" in these things and members of other parties don't is nonsensical. The application of these principles will differ as will their priority but not the principles themselves.

• Options

If I were masterminding the Conservatives' strategy for the next few years, I think I'd major on "making sure that good work is fairly rewarded".

Ruth Davidson’s speech others linked to a while back would be a great start.

But why would the Tories feel the need to reinvent themselves when they are in power?
    I think it probably takes a defeat to make a political party change.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited November 2017
    rkrkrk said:

It's an interesting header by Cyclefree but Gavin Williamson ticks nearly all of the suggested boxes. He's 41, only entered parliament 7 years ago, sits for a Staffordshire seat, went to a comprehensive school then a northern redbrick University and study Social Science. Superficially he is exactly the sort of demographic and fresh face Ms Cyclefree thinks should be promoted. He has been and has gone down like the Hindenberg is some quarters. So clearly demographic change alone isn't enough.

Ah, but this was not the promotion many were looking for. (Happy to reserve judgment myself!)

A very good header, @Cyclefree. We ought to be able to appeal to the younger generation who have grown up in a world full of technological innovation, new marketplaces and multiple careers. They're not hungering for 1970s style unionised jobs-for-life. True, Brexit is a cultural complication: we need to reassure people that we aren't seeking to re-enact the 1950s either.

But we have to communicate properly using the right people. The working assumption was that there would have been a relatively substantial reshuffle, post-May winning a 50+ majority. It can't be postponed much longer, but the present unedifying spectacle may need to be played out first.
    For this Parliament, Brexit - which is unfathomable to large numbers of the u30s - is going to be a recurring, dominant news story.

I don’t see a way around that - short of some kind of new free trade and movement deal with Aus/Can/USA!
    Well naturally whatever deal we strike will make a huge difference. But in the meantime we could do better in terms of explaining what free movement actually means [I think there is still a lot of confusion on this score], and that the right to travel etc. will be unaffected.

I would hope that a deal could actually retain some elements of free movement e.g. with respect to students, and skilled employment in some sectors and/or possibly based on e.g. jobs paying >£35k ?
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

rkrkrk said:

Cocky of Cameron not to use it in the EU referendum. Obviously thought he would win anyway.

Tactically, a big row about the franchise (particularly relating to EU citizens) would have brought to the fore some important issues much earlier and given the campaigns a different complexion, even if ultimately they'd stuck to the current GE format.
    But Cameron always avoided anything that would have required him to challenge the ultras on the backbenches. That was his - and the country's - undoing.
  • Options
    stodge said:

As a non-Conservative, I don't have a problem with anything on that list and I suspect most LD and the majority of Labour supporters wouldn't either.

You have to look at what's not there. For example, if you asked a group of Labour or LibDem activists the same question, I imagine that things like 'Ending discrimination' or 'Tackling climate change' or 'Protecting the NHS' or 'Reducing inequality' would appear high on the list.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited November 2017
    While many of my generation may not be hungering for ‘1970s style jobs for life’ we sure as hell are looking for job security.

Brexit is more than just a cultural complication: it will dominate our politics for years to come.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

stodge said:

You have to look at what's not there. For example, if you asked a group of Labour or LibDem activists the same question, I imagine that things like 'Ending discrimination' or 'Tackling climate change' or 'Protecting the NHS' or 'Reducing inequality' would appear high on the list.
    Yes I think all of those would appear pretty high on a list of priorities for Labour activists.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

The things they are supposed to stand for (small state, individual responsibility) are very much out of favour right now and have been since 2008.
    Individual responsibility is always in favour. After all, look at the debate we've been having on sexual harassment. Aren't we all saying that men are - and should be - responsible for their actions not blame it on a general culture or everyone else doing it?

What isn't in favour is the sort of individual responsibility which is purely focused on being responsible for yourself and not on helping or being responsible for your neighbour. I would argue that looking out for others is part of what individual responsibility is about, that you don't walk on by when someone needs your help.

Re small state, maybe the Tories should be focusing on a competent and efficient state?

But Mr Meeks is right, it is hard to know what the Tories really stand for. Bringing on a new generation is one way of getting them to do the hard thinking about what Conservatism should be about for new generations.
    I absolutely believe that the Government should have acted as they did with the banks in the GFC.

But that was an example of the State absolving individuals from responsibility. Banks are supposed to be allowed to go bust which should motivate customers to demand prudent behaviour. Before and since that had not been the case.

As for small state, it is saying that individuals know how to spend their money better than governments. I'm not sure there is too much of that around now either.

And maybe people are right that not everyone would agree with that list. But the Cons have to appeal to the large minority perhaps even majority of Labour voters who would see little controversial or unique in it.
  • Options
    Roger said:

An interesting header cyclefree though I was a little surprised you didn't include Benjamin Netanyahu's hand on Theresa May's bottom outside Downing St yesterday. Whether he's not au fait with the political climate here or whether he was just being his boorish self is impossible to know but Theresa managed what Ladsom couldn't which was to keep her dignity.

I had no idea he did such a thing.

Not really sure he's relevant to the Non-Reshuffle, though.......
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Well naturally whatever deal we strike will make a huge difference. But in the meantime we could do better in terms of explaining what free movement actually means [I think there is still a lot of confusion on this score], and that the right to travel etc. will be unaffected.

I would hope that a deal could actually retaining some elements of free movement e.g. with respect to students, and skilled employment some sectors and/or possibly based on e.g. jobs paying >£35k ?
    My generation really aren’t that fussed about immigrants IMO. That’s why we don’t get it.
    And There is no way TM will retain FoM for students - she has been absolutely resolute in keeping them in her target - I have absolutely no idea why.
    >35k is a bad idea tactically I suspect..
    It plays into the idea that rich people (35k is a lot to a lot of people in this country) get special privileges.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,953

rkrkrk said:

I would hope that a deal could actually retain some elements of free movement e.g. with respect to students, and skilled employment in some sectors and/or possibly based on e.g. jobs paying >£35k ?
    A good article on why it is not as simple as “deal or no deal”
    http://commentcentral.co.uk/different-forms-of-a-no-deal/

The point on “Free Movement” in the EU sense is being willfully misinterpreted by many who should know better, as was the case with debt and deficit a few years ago. It refers only to the issuance of NI numbers to allow working and the entitlement to state services and benefits, is nothing whatsoever to do with borders, passport checks or rights to visit countries.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

I would hope that a deal could actually retaining some elements of free movement e.g. with respect to students, and skilled employment some sectors and/or possibly based on e.g. jobs paying >£35k ?
    My generation really aren’t that fussed about immigrants IMO. That’s why we don’t get it.
    And There is no way TM will retain FoM for students - she has been absolutely resolute in keeping them in her target - I have absolutely no idea why.
    It plays into the idea that rich people (35k is a lot to a lot of people in this country) get special privileges.
    +1.
  • Options

While many of my generation may not be hungering for ‘1970s style jobs for life’ we sure as hell are looking for job security.

Brexit is more than just a cultural complication: it will dominate our politics for years to come.

I think flexibility more than security.
    We want to be able to go travelling for 3-6 months and then come back to a job.
    We want the ability to work abroad - but not especially in the EU. Aus/US/Can are more popular asI see it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,005

rkrkrk said:

Good to know I'd make the cut by a hundred quid xD
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Lots of people are fussed about immigration: that's why the referendum was won. We need something that addresses their concerns without going full-on Fortress Britain.

£35k is just a suggestion - but whatever the idea, if presented right it ought to play into the idea that we are open to the best but that we won't let open-door immigration drive down wages for the poorest.

I'm not clear as to on what terms the EU would want to allow UK citizens to work in Europe.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Sandpit said:

3/5 they’ve got wrong.

I thought it was 16 to pilot a glider. Have they changed the rules recently? (By recently I mean in the last 15 years).
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

You're allowed to stay anyway. We're not proposing to expel Remainers.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

That is fairly easy , as on here PB 95% are anti Corbyn , whatever he says or does. So that in their eyes is enough However taking that the voters agree with you for granted and repeating your mantras to the already converted in an echo chamber is a risky strategy.Especially when so many are excluded from owning property.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    AndyJS said:

Sandpit said:

3/5 they’ve got wrong.

I thought it was 16 to pilot a glider. Have they changed the rules recently? (By recently I mean in the last 15 years).
    You can go solo at 16, but need parental consent if under 18.

Also lots of “Child Safeguarding” stuff at clubs that didn’t use to be there - CRB checks for instructors and designated people in charge of children etc. A “Child” is under 18 in all this legislation.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    tlg86 said:

Perhaps 16/17 year olds who go out to work and pay tax should get a vote?

Or perhaps they shouldn't pay tax.
    An interesting idea.... Get out of education at 16 and start building up some cash in the bank.

I can't imagine it would exactly cost the Treasury a mountain of lost revenue.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Lots of people are fussed about immigration: that's why the referendum was won. We need something that addresses their concerns without going full-on Fortress Britain.

£35k is just a suggestion - but whatever the idea, if presented right it ought to play into the idea that we are open to the best but that we won't let open-door immigration drive down wages for the poorest.

I'm not clear as to on what terms the EU would want to allow UK citizens to work in Europe.
    Yes I agree - lots of (older) people are fussed about immigration - that’s the bind you are in.
    I am not convinced their concerns can be addressed by falling immigration - we know that lots of them don’t even live in areas where there is much immigration.

Wages for the poorest are minimum wage. Just keep raising it!
    I wouldn’t be surprised if unskilled migration was more popular than skilled tbh.
  • Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    I would have thought that a "not Corbyn" vote would be very fruitful at the next election -and I have no doubt that this is why the Tories are still polling 40% of the vote in the polls.

She also promoted Gavin Williamson to Defence Secretary, and this is actually a breakthrough. For the first time someone outside the Old Farts Club of Johnson, Davies, Rudd and Hammond is being thought of as a possible successor to May.

• Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited November 2017
    rkrkrk said:

I think flexibility more than security.
    We want to be able to go travelling for 3-6 months and then come back to a job.
    We want the ability to work abroad - but not especially in the EU. Aus/US/Can are more popular asI see it.
    I don’t know about the travelling part. No one I know seriously expects to be able to take 3 to 6 months off like that and still have a job. I disagree that flexibility is more important than security. Many of young people’s concerns are economic - related to the cost of living and getting on the property ladder. By the time people reach their early to mid thirties they will care less about traveling and more about having enough money to pay bills and save for a deposit on a house. For that you need job security.

Sure, there are people who want to work aboard. Though in my experience people were not too happy about FoM ending for that reason. I don’t see Canada and Australia mentioned that much at all. America used to be, until Trump was elected.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,159
    rkrkrk said:

Yes I agree - lots of (older) people are fussed about immigration - that’s the bind you are in.
    I am not convinced their concerns can be addressed by falling immigration - we know that lots of them don’t even live in areas where there is much immigration.

There is some fascinating polling data on this.
    https://twitter.com/BobbyIpsosMORI/status/920574373131628545
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    edited November 2017
    All very interesting, except Gavin Williamson, a Yorkshire comprehensive educated 41 year old graduate of Bradford University with a Staffordshire seat and Labour voting parents who worked in manufacturing and who May made Defence Secretary this week on paper seems exactly the type of fresh face Cyclefree is asking for.
  • Options
    The FTSE just closed at a record high (despite Brexit)
  • Options
    This case is going to divide America on a truly epic scale.
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/926492915626663939
  • Options
    stevef said:

I would have thought that a "not Corbyn" vote would be very fruitful at the next election -and I have no doubt that this is why the Tories are still polling 40% of the vote in the polls.

She also promoted Gavin Williamson to Defence Secretary, and this is actually a breakthrough. For the first time someone outside the Old Farts Club of Johnson, Davies, Rudd and Hammond is being thought of as a possible successor to May.

Agreed regarding the new Defence Secretary.Also with May been in charge through the current reverberations , I think she will be seen in a better and fairer light.
  • Options
    Interesting development for Trump re-election chances: no 2nd term for Yellen and appointment of Jerome Powell, who, the Telegraph suggests, might let the US economy "run hot" in the run-up to 2020. Boom times and inflation further down the track?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

All very interesting, except Gavin Williamson, a Yorkshire comprehensive educated 41 year old graduate of Bradford University with a Staffordshire seat and Labour voting parents who worked in manufacturing and who May made Defence Secretary this week on paper seems exactly the type of fresh face Cyclefree is asking for.

Agreed.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

That is fairly easy , as on here PB 95% are anti Corbyn , whatever he says or does. So that in their eyes is enough However taking that the voters agree with you for granted and repeating your mantras to the already converted in an echo chamber is a risky strategy.Especially when so many are excluded from owning property.
    Jeremy Corbyn may well not be Labour's leader at the next election. It's very dangerous for Conservatives to assume that he will be. His aims have never seemed to turn particularly on his personal ambition.

On your second point, the Conservatives should be focussing on rewarding good work. If they come up with policies that make hard workers feel that they aren't being taken for a ride, they can look relevant again.

But they seem to prefer demonising anyone who might be sceptical about Brexit.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I answered that below. More than one change is needed. And Defence does not really provide the incumbent with the opportunity to reach out to possible voters.

Whatever Mr Williamson's merits or otherwise, this move has been seen as either Mrs May putting her favourite in pole position or Mr W manoeuvring himself into pole position by exploiting a weak PM. Either way it's not really the fresh thinking that I think the Tories should be doing if they want to have a hope of being listened to.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,030
    edited November 2017
    surbiton said:

FF43 said:

Um no. You cannot be deployed to a war zone or on any form of active service if you are under 18. Nor can you legally drink in a pub, buy cigarettes, drive a car, marry without parental consent, gamble, sign a contract or serve on a jury - amongst many other things.

If you would be happy having a 16 year old sit in judgement upon you in a court of law then good luck to you. I wouldn't.
  • Options
    Very interesting from Peston:

“When I discovered it wasn’t just me but my entire circle were out of touch with millions of people I genuinely felt ashamed… this was the only opportunity millions of people were ever going to have to say to the people who run this place ‘you’re not listening to us’, it was a massive wake up call to everybody… I take my hat off to them, they have thrown all the cards up in the air… it was the right thing to do.”

https://order-order.com/2017/11/03/pestos-brexit-conversion/
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

Jeremy Corbyn may well not be Labour's leader at the next election. It's very dangerous for Conservatives to assume that he will be. His aims have never seemed to turn particularly on his personal ambition.

On your second point, the Conservatives should be focussing on rewarding good work. If they come up with policies that make hard workers feel that they aren't being taken for a ride, they can look relevant again.

The Tories will be so hit by the UC changes to working tax credits that nothing they do about rewarding hard work will make the blind difference in comparison.

That no one in Cabinet seems to be able to smell what a political disaster they are heading towards on this, sums things up nicely.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,628
    edited November 2017
    Over promoted Chief Whips from the past.

Jacqui Smith from Chief Whip to Home Secretary. I'll never forget her husband's expense claim for porn.

The odious David Waddington from Chief Whip to Home Secretary, responsible for one of the worst miscarriages of justice, and had a chance to fix it, but didn't
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Germaine Greer can no longer be called a feminist

Eve Hodgson argues that the exclusionary views of this once-prolific voice of second-wave radical feminism should result in her exclusion from the movement"

https://www.varsity.co.uk/comment/13829
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,005
    I'd happily forgo my right to vote for a decent tax break :)
  • Options
    OrderOrder sweepstake on how many resignations this weekend:

https://order-order.com/2017/11/03/fifth-november-massacre/

They say Sunday papers are gearing up...
  • Options

“When I discovered it wasn’t just me but my entire circle were out of touch with millions of people I genuinely felt ashamed… this was the only opportunity millions of people were ever going to have to say to the people who run this place ‘you’re not listening to us’, it was a massive wake up call to everybody… I take my hat off to them, they have thrown all the cards up in the air… it was the right thing to do.”

An outburst of anger because ‘you’re not listening to us’ is all very well. It's a pity it's damaged the country so much.
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

The Tories will be so hit by the UC changes to working tax credits that nothing they do about rewarding hard work will make the blind difference in comparison.

That no one in Cabinet seems to be able to smell what a political disaster they are heading towards on this, sums things up nicely.
    And that is in part because not enough of them have any idea of what it is like to be out of work or without savings etc. How could anyone think that waiting 6 weeks for payment was a good idea? People with jobs get paid monthly, for heaven's sake. Why should the poor - who almost by definition have no cushion to tide them over - have to wait even longer? Did no-one with any common sense or even an inkling of what real life is like say, hang on a moment, this is nonsense and will lead to difficulties? No-one at all?
  • Options

Something tells me writing threads in advance this Sunday won't be a good idea.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'd happily forgo my right to vote for a decent tax break :)

How’s about your right to stand for election? ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Yorkcity said:

This supposed 'disaster' for the Tories which has been attacked by Labour for weeks today saw the Tories halve the Labour lead with Mori to just 2%.

Longer term most voters support the principle of UC and a welfare system that makes sure work pays.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Eve Hodgson argues that the exclusionary views of this once-prolific voice of second-wave radical feminism should result in her exclusion from the movement"

She really does appear to have become public enemy no 1 among certain sections of the movement.
  • Options

The FTSE just closed at a record high (despite Brexit)

Should read (mainly because of Brexit)
    http://www.cityam.com/267228/brexit-one-year-impact-pound-ftse-and-economy
  • Options

From that I think it is certain they have personally sold at least one killer story.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

I answered that below. More than one change is needed. And Defence does not really provide the incumbent with the opportunity to reach out to possible voters.

Whatever Mr Williamson's merits or otherwise, this move has been seen as either Mrs May putting her favourite in pole position or Mr W manoeuvring himself into pole position by exploiting a weak PM. Either way it's not really the fresh thinking that I think the Tories should be doing if they want to have a hope of being listened to.
    So you accept the main change this week was an appointment of someone with exactly the type of background you wanted and in what way does Defence not affect voters as any other department? After all the nation is nothing without national security. Really it seems your whole article has fallen down at the first hurdle interesting though it is.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited November 2017
    Wales’s cabinet secretary for communities and children has stepped down amid allegations about his “personal conduct”.

Carl Sargeant, the assembly member for Alyn and Deeside, said in a statement that he had met the first minister, Carwyn Jones, on Friday and been told that allegations had been made against him.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/03/carl-sargeant-welsh-communities-secretary-quits-over-allegations-about-personal-conduct
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

So you accept the main change this week was an appointment of someone with exactly the type of background you wanted and in what way does Defence not affect voters as any other department? After all the nation is nothing without national security. Really it seems your whole article has fallen down at the first hurdle interesting though it is.
    "But however fearful she may have been of instigating a reshuffle, when presented with the opportunity for one, why the craven timidity? "

Defence, important as it is, does not give the incumbent the opportunity to speak to possible voters about their every day concerns. We are not at war nor are we likely to be. (I hope). Terrorism is an issue, of course, but that is as much an issue for the Home Office as it is for Defence.

I think the Tories are being complacent, need fresh thinking and new people. I have no idea whether GW will bring any fresh thinking at all. But one man, even someone from a comprehensive, is hardly the answer to the hole the Tories are in. They just don't seem, to me anyway, realise how much of a hole they are in.
  • Options

An outburst of anger because ‘you’re not listening to us’ is all very well. It's a pity it's damaged the country so much.
    It's also not obviously a correct analysis. This twitter thread (which really should have been worked into a proper article) is one of this week's must-reads:

https://twitter.com/marwood_lennox/status/925759368154570752
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

This supposed 'disaster' for the Tories which has been attacked by Labour for weeks today saw the Tories halve the Labour lead with Mori to just 2%.

Longer term most voters support the principle of UC and a welfare system that makes sure work pays.
    But they don't support a minimum wage that's just enough and benefits which are lower, say only 75% of the minimum wage. If you can just survive on the minimum wage, by definition you can't survive on benefits which are lower than that.

35 years ago, the unemployed paid an effective marginal tax rate of up to 95%. Today, they may pay 92%, i.e. they still lose benefit if they go out to work.

Rich people riot at the thought that their marginal tax rate might be increased from 47%. UC is said to give an effective marginal tax rate of 63%.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,453
    edited November 2017
    HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

It matters not one jot that Lab has been on about it for weeks. What will matter is when 1,000s and 1,000s of people find their working tax credit is being cut. They wont notice until it actually hits.

edit: indeed, I'm not even convinced that many people on WTC even know it is being rolled into UC.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Remainers are all getting Irish passports.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I do pity the Irish getting such a bunch of moaning wastes of space to drag them down. Ireland deserves better.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,159

It's also not obviously a correct analysis. This twitter thread (which really should have been worked into a proper article) is one of this week's must-reads

That is really fascinating analysis. Perhaps the reason why the standard narrative is so persistent is that to Tories used to having no resonance at all in the north or 'left behind' areas, it's a novelty to find an issue that cuts across all social classes. Compared to their usual priorities it feels like a solidly working class concern, even though in absolute terms it isn't.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

But they don't support a minimum wage that's just enough and benefits which are lower, say only 75% of the minimum wage. If you can just survive on the minimum wage, by definition you can't survive on benefits which are lower than that.

35 years ago, the unemployed paid an effective marginal tax rate of up to 95%. Today, they may pay 92%, i.e. they still lose benefit if they go out to work.

Rich people riot at the thought that their marginal tax rate might be increased from 47%. UC is said to give an effective marginal tax rate of 63%.
    When exactly did the rich riot last?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Imagine this was May - the wolves would already be tearing at her throat.

Labourites don't seem to care.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

It's also not obviously a correct analysis. This twitter thread (which really should have been worked into a proper article) is one of this week's must-reads:

https://twitter.com/marwood_lennox/status/925759368154570752
    Yes, it is a reaction of the squeezed middle.

https://twitter.com/marwood_lennox/status/925760600755658752

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,862

This case is going to divide America on a truly epic scale.
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/926492915626663939

Trump has already called for Clinton's prosecution ("lock her up") and now as a sitting President:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/11/trump-justice-department-clinton/544928/
    Some time back he demanded the execution of five black kids who turned out to be innocent (and has, of course, never apologised):
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/feb/17/central-park-five-donald-trump-jogger-rape-case-new-york

The man is a thug and a scofflaw.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

She really does appear to have become public enemy no 1 among certain sections of the movement.
    The more they attack her, the more right she is in her thinking. There is much about Greer's thinking that I dislike - but she has a more coherent world view than her current detractors.
  • Options
    @Rottenborough You are spot on about this. Gordon Brown's evil genius was to extend benefit payments to a huge chunk of the working poor in such a way those workers think of it as part of their wages. As WTC claimants start to migrate to UC they'll be hit by a double whammy. Firstly they'll experience being treated like a welfare claimant by the DWP. Secondly they'll experience the WTC cut Osborne used UC as a Trojan Horse for. Millions plural of in work Tabloid readers will be put through the sausage grinder with politically explosive results.

The 55p phone line and 6 week wait as distractions. They've always been part of the UC experience. We are talking about them now because migration is just starting to hit folk who ( sadly ) matter in elections and who don't think of themselves as benefit claimants even though they are. It's a time bomb and ( most ) PB Tories are being wilfully blind to what is coming down the tracks and now arriving in the Brexit parliament where they've no majority.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

It matters not one jot that Lab has been on about it for weeks. What will matter is when 1,000s and 1,000s of people find their working tax credit is being cut. They wont notice until it actually hits.

edit: indeed, I'm not even convinced that many people on WTC even know it is being rolled into UC.
    Of course it matters what rubbish and it is already being trialled.

Of course longer term UC will end the scandal whereby those reliant on benefits will lose all of them if tgey do any work less than 16 hours a week. Longer term the more the Tories get the welfare dependent onto work the better for them. Corbyn comfortably won DEs last time who UC is most aimed at.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

I suspect most of them do - they are just scared to come out against the leadership.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

"But however fearful she may have been of instigating a reshuffle, when presented with the opportunity for one, why the craven timidity? "

Defence, important as it is, does not give the incumbent the opportunity to speak to possible voters about their every day concerns. We are not at war nor are we likely to be. (I hope). Terrorism is an issue, of course, but that is as much an issue for the Home Office as it is for Defence.

I think the Tories are being complacent, need fresh thinking and new people. I have no idea whether GW will bring any fresh thinking at all. But one man, even someone from a comprehensive, is hardly the answer to the hole the Tories are in. They just don't seem, to me anyway, realise how much of a hole they are in.
    We are still at war against ISIS of course it is a concern.

You just cannot admit your entire argument that May needed new ministers with a provincial and state educated background has been taken up by May this week with the appointment of Williamson.

Instead you are reduced to arguing about 'what a hole the Tories are in' despite May adopting the main solution you argued for in your article. Absurd!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    TGOHF said:

It is always best to kick a person when they are down, as they are less likely to respond in kind.

May is a wounded beast, and every stagger attracts hyena interest.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

The Tories (and to be fair the LDs) both increased the minimum wage and introduced a living wage and took the lowest paid out of tax. Yet more hypocrisy from the left!
  • Options

TGOHF said:

I suspect most of them do - they are just scared to come out against the leadership.
    If true, what does that say about Labour? People too scared to criticise the leadership over theme ignoring the fact that they were about to appoint to the Shadow Cabinet someone who had been reprimanded over sexual harassment? Where are their values and principles? Where is their courage?
  • Options

TGOHF said:

It is always best to kick a person when they are down, as they are less likely to respond in kind.

May is a wounded beast, and every stagger attracts hyena interest.
    The way the broadcast media are reporting on Corbyn's cover up he is looking like a wounded beast himself.

Lets see what happens over the weekend. Anything could come out
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

Pulpstar said:

Remainers who are already Irish citizens are paying 80 euro for photo ID to prove they are Irish is perhaps more accurate.

The Irish passport office must be turning a healthy surplus these days.
  • Options

@Rottenborough You are spot on about this. Gordon Brown's evil genius was to extend benefit payments to a huge chunk of the working poor in such a way those workers think of it as part of their wages. As WTC claimants start to migrate to UC they'll be hit by a double whammy. Firstly they'll experience being treated like a welfare claimant by the DWP. Secondly they'll experience the WTC cut Osborne used UC as a Trojan Horse for. Millions plural of in work Tabloid readers will be put through the sausage grinder with politically explosive results.

The 55p phone line and 6 week wait as distractions. They've always been part of the UC experience. We are talking about them now because migration is just starting to hit folk who ( sadly ) matter in elections and who don't think of themselves as benefit claimants even though they are. It's a time bomb and ( most ) PB Tories are being wilfully blind to what is coming down the tracks and now arriving in the Brexit parliament where they've no majority.

What utter rubbish.

It was Brown who left in place the scandal where those on benefits would lose all of them if they did any part time work under 16 hours a week. Something UC is finally going to address to help people let down by the Labour Party which is supposed to represent them
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

We are still at war against ISIS of course it is a concern.

You just cannot admit your entire argument that May needed new ministers with a provincial and state educated background has been taken up by May this week with the appointment of Williamson.

Instead you are reduced to arguing about 'what a hole the Tories are in' despite May adopting the main solution you argued for in your article. Absurd!
    We'll have to agree to disagree.
This discussion has been closed.