Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Chief Whip who failed to stop LAB’s tricky Brexit motion l

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Or, alternatively, the Chief Whip responsible for getting the crucial A50 Bill through both Houses unamended given well-deserved promotion.

That was last season. This is now.
    The most important piece of legislation in decades, representing the will of the People against the Establishment, vs an opposition day game to mess up our negotiations.
    The EU Withdrawal Bill is yet to come.
    That will be difficult to avoid amendments too, but the bill itself will pass easily. Not even the most die-hard of Remainers want us to crash out without the necessary legislation in place.
    If we entered 2019 without the necessary legislation in place and without a deal agreed with the EU, the chance of actually crashing out must be less than 1%.
    If the 27 EU members were all willing to treat us like the prodigal son returned, then I suppose it is possible that we would avoid crashing out, in that situation, but why would they?
    Given how often it has been said by people like Tusk and Macron that Brexit is not inevitable, why would you doubt it?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

In other financial news the astronomical rise of Games Workshop shares (GAW) completely astounds me.

30 somethings now have money and no girlfriend to help them spend it...
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,963
    Alistair said:

In other financial news the astronomical rise of Games Workshop shares (GAW) completely astounds me.

The IP appears to be making a very successful leap from tabletop gaming to video games, which are probably far more lucrative.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    ..i wonder if the Williamson appointment is what finally tips the parliamentary party into ousting May.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited November 2017
    HHemmelig said:

Alastair Darling's autobography details how bad things got. RBS rang one early one aternoon and said "we've run out of cash, we're closing at 4pm unless you do something". RBS got an emergency cash injection. Why?

Consider what them closing abruptly one afternoon would do. Every business who banks with RBS - either directly or indirectly - would have no access to cash or cah flowiing through them. Every customer would find not only the branches closed but the cash machines unable to dispense. And the following day? Chaos - people pulling as much cash as possible from their bank in case they go over next. Which makes them run out of cash. So they shut. And then next one. How is that a positive?

This.

There's been a hell of a lot of crap written about the bank bailouts in the past 10 years.

But people don't seem to realise that not bailing out the banks would have led to every ordinary citizen losing everything they had in a UK bank. Then being unable to pay their mortgage and thus losing their house. ie for the majority of citizens their entire wealth would have disappeared overnight. It wasn't just the banks which were bailed out, we were all bailed out.
    Indeed so.

Anecdote: Mrs Sandpit is Ukranian. For many years now, thankfully, her friends and family have held their life savings in cash USD literally under the bed - such is their lack of trust in their banking system and currency. Those who had cash in the bank lost 70% of it (in USD) as their currency crashed three years ago and there were currency controls in place for two years. Imagine what that way of doing things would have done to the UK economy, because we were damn close to it happening.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

HHemmelig said:

Alastair Darling's autobography details how bad things got. RBS rang one early one aternoon and said "we've run out of cash, we're closing at 4pm unless you do something". RBS got an emergency cash injection. Why?

Consider what them closing abruptly one afternoon would do. Every business who banks with RBS - either directly or indirectly - would have no access to cash or cah flowiing through them. Every customer would find not only the branches closed but the cash machines unable to dispense. And the following day? Chaos - people pulling as much cash as possible from their bank in case they go over next. Which makes them run out of cash. So they shut. And then next one. How is that a positive?

This.

There's been a hell of a lot of crap written about the bank bailouts in the past 10 years.

But people don't seem to realise that not bailing out the banks would have led to every ordinary citizen losing everything they had in a UK bank. Then being unable to pay their mortgage and thus losing their house. ie for the majority of citizens their entire wealth would have disappeared overnight. It wasn't just the banks which were bailed out, we were all bailed out.
    That it needs explaining on here is embarrassing. CiF maybe (to deaf ears, obvs), but not on PB for heaven's sake!!!
    Part of the problem was that for understandable party political reasons it was felt necessary to deny for some time that Gordon Brown had in fact saved the world. Three general elections later, even senior Conservative figures, most notably George Osborne, can be more open about the crisis.

Yep - I have been saying this for years. We were fortunate it was Brown and Darling (and Balls) doing the heavy lifting when the effluent hit the fan. And that it was Obama, not McCain, in charge in the US. The thing everyone forgets is how much worse it could all have been if siren voices further to the right had been listened to.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983

TOPPING said:

HHemmelig said:

This.

That it needs explaining on here is embarrassing. CiF maybe (to deaf ears, obvs), but not on PB for heaven's sake!!!
    Part of the problem was that for understandable party political reasons it was felt necessary to deny for some time that Gordon Brown had in fact saved the world. Three general elections later, even senior Conservative figures, most notably George Osborne, can be more open about the crisis.
    "Saved the world" is something of an exaggeration. And, given that he claimed to have abolished boom and bust (ie the business cycle) it's hardly unfair that he should get the flack.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

HHemmelig said:

This.

Yes. Much as their actions prior to and after the crisis can be criticised on multiple fronts, Brown and Darling did a brilliant job in the heat of the crash, when we were a mere couple of hours from cashpoints seizing up and card transactions no longer working. We are fortunate that neither the weak, dithering May nor the marxist Corbyn were in charge during those perilous days. Next time we will not be so lucky.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    I thought May would be boring but competent. But she's mad and incompetent and weak and has all the tactical and strategic nous of a drunken snail.

I loathe Corbyn and all he stands for. But even I am beginning to think he can't surely be any worse than this bunch......

I'm sure the feeling will pass.

Anyway back to working out what I should say on my website other than "Hire me". Any brilliant suggestions gratefully received.
  • Options

Alistair said:

DavidL said:

As an aside, I'm surprised Williamson's so hated given I've never heard of him before.

Likewise. Feeling a bit behind the curve today. Perhaps, FU style, he has been putting a bit of stick about behind the scenes.
    He was the chief whip, of course he was hated.
    You might say that, I couldn't possibly comment
    https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/926107830339428352
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2017

He just did what every single government of any hue (except possibly a Corbynistic hue, actively wanting the destruction of the economy) would have done. There was zero choice, so it's not exactly a great achievement. Rather the converse, in fact: Brown, Darling and Mervyn King between them made an absolute hash of Northern Rock, provoking a completely unnecessary bank run - the first in 150 years. They also screwed up very badly on HBOS. Luckily by the time it came to RBS and Lloyds, they finally realised what they had to do.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,436
    edited November 2017
    deleted
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I thought May would be boring but competent. But she's mad and incompetent and weak and has all the tactical and strategic nous of a drunken snail.

I loathe Corbyn and all he stands for. But even I am beginning to think he can't surely be any worse than this bunch......

Anyway back to working out what I should say on my website other than "Hire me". Any brilliant suggestions gratefully received.

I had not anticipated how far out of her depth she would be.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    DavidL said:

HHemmelig said:

DavidL said:

Alistair said:

They should have all been Northern Rocked.
    Yes they should. Customers protected, essential services protected but the companies themselves wound down to nothing and dissolved. It was not that they faced a credit crunch, it was their entire mode of operation that was rotten to the core and needed to be stopped with personal consequences for those who had operated that way.
    And how would that not still have constitted a bailout? The government paying back the value of millions of deposits would still have cost an absolute fortune. And given the millions of accounts involved, how long do you think it would have taken people to be able to get access to any money? Years probably.
    It would still have cost a lot of money, there's no denying that. Banks had in fact lost far more money than they had ever made. But administrators could have kept them operating on a day to day basis as they do with other businesses whilst winding down and disposing of the assets. By entering into a Faustian bargain we still have these banks dominating our economy and organisations who thought it was ok to fix the LIBOR rate, force companies into insolvency so they could buy their assets on the cheap, exploit companies by appointing what were shadow directors acting for the interests of the Bank and not the customer at enormous cost, mis-sell loans, insurance and anything else they could think of, continue to thrive.

"The love of money is the root of all evil". 1 Timothy 6:10.

And banks love money.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    kyf_100 said:

Alistair said:

The IP appears to be making a very successful leap from tabletop gaming to video games, which are probably far more lucrative.
    The history of GAW share price has been a company the market doesn't understand well but is attracted by it's constant dividend payment and recession proofness but then, due to lack of understanding, gets spooked by any negative news.

Over the last couple of decades the share price got to 800 pence a share only to collapse to sub 200 pence at the slightest missed earning report. To see if got from 440 to 2200 in the last year has flummoxed me.
  • Options
    May had one last mistake left in her.

Could this reshuffle have been it?

There's a chance the sundays will be full of leadership plot rumours perhaps?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I have had the same thoughts from time to time, but I come crashing back to sanity quickly afterwards. I'm pretty sure Corbyn would be a disaster for my small business on multiple fronts. Welcome to the ranks of the self-employed by the way.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Cyclefree said:

"Please hire me"?

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,070
    Difficulty, surely, with banks shareholders losing money is that there very few John Smiths and Charlie Jones’ owning their shares. The vast majority are held either by short-term traders in the things, and much of the rest by corporate bodies such as pension schemes.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

HHemmelig said:

This.

"Saved the world" is something of an exaggeration. And, given that he claimed to have abolished boom and bust (ie the business cycle) it's hardly unfair that he should get the flack.
    Didn't he say 'Tory boom and bust', meaning specifically the practice of encouraging a boom in the run up to elections - the Lawson boom and Barber boom for instance?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Or, alternatively, the Chief Whip responsible for getting the crucial A50 Bill through both Houses unamended given well-deserved promotion.

That was last season. This is now.
    The most important piece of legislation in decades, representing the will of the People against the Establishment, vs an opposition day game to mess up our negotiations.
    The EU Withdrawal Bill is yet to come.
    That will be difficult to avoid amendments too, but the bill itself will pass easily. Not even the most die-hard of Remainers want us to crash out without the necessary legislation in place.
    Jeremy Corbyn, though, would rather a disastrous "no deal" crash out which led to a General Election. That's the concern.
    Indeed so. But some form of the EU Withdrawal Bill *has* to be passed, as so much of the country's legislative framework relies on it. Parliament could be forced to sit continuously for weeks if required, until something comes out of it. Corbyn has a very big chance of overplaying his hand in that situation.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,474
    HHemmelig said:

Cyclefree said:

I have had the same thoughts from time to time, but I come crashing back to sanity quickly afterwards. I'm pretty sure Corbyn would be a disaster for my small business on multiple fronts. Welcome to the ranks of the self-employed by the way.
    Corbyn's appeal is more to do with the damage he would do to the established order than to any sense that his policies will lead towards a better world. But, as with all revolutions, there comes a point where distaste with the current state of affairs will blind people to the deficiencies of any powerfully proposed alternative.
  • Options
    Miss Cyclefree, highlight past experience, relevant qualifications, and, perhaps most importantly, why hiring you is good for the customer.

Somewhat hesitant to raise this (the launch was dreadful as I managed to combine being ill for the first time in years with it so couldn't do the stuff I wanted to), but if anyone wants proofreading/formatting, I'm free /Inmanvoice

http://www.twwritingservices.com/
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

Cyclefree said:

"Please hire me"?

"Hire me or the puppy gets it"?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,070
    Cyclefree said:

In retrospect, I wonder whether we would have been better off having Boris as PM aftrer Cameron. By now he’d have seriously antagonised enough people for his Government, and his Brexit policy, to have collapsed and we could be getting on with sensible things in concert with our European partners.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2017
    Cyclefree said:

'Endorsed by anonymous gamblers and other saddos on politicalbetting.com' should do the trick.
  • Options
    HHemmelig said:

Cyclefree said:

Corbyn would be an absolute disaster. But should he be elected it will be on the back of Brexit going wrong, so he has a ready-made excuse. It's hard to believe that the government and opposition front benches have ever been so devoid of talent and genuine concern for the national interest.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,904
    Cyclefree said:

I'd still be surprised if the drunken snail isn't more popular than Jeremy. We need a new poll. Most people haven't heard of the new Defence Secretary and you can hardly blame Theresa for Michael Fallon morphing into David Brent.
  • Options

Miss Cyclefree, highlight past experience, relevant qualifications, and, perhaps most importantly, why hiring you is good for the customer.

Somewhat hesitant to raise this (the launch was dreadful as I managed to combine being ill for the first time in years with it so couldn't do the stuff I wanted to), but if anyone wants proofreading/formatting, I'm free /Inmanvoice

Thank you.

I suppose I could say, apropos the discussion on the thread, hire me or you'll end up like RBS. Or even "hire me and I'll stop you stop hiring crooks".

The trick is saying this without falling into that strange non-language known as management bollocks.

Anyway have been given some more contacts so need to go off and do some email networking.....
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HHemmelig said:

Cyclefree said:

Corbyn's appeal is more to do with the damage he would do to the established order than to any sense that his policies will lead towards a better world. But, as with all revolutions, there comes a point where distaste with the current state of affairs will blind people to the deficiencies of any powerfully proposed alternative.
    When push comes to shove I don't think we're quite at that point yet.

But whilst it's impossible for Labour to win a decent majority without getting a lot of Middle England votes, they could squeak a 1974-esque victory without them.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

'Endorsed by anonymous gamblers and other saddos on politicalbetting.com' should do the trick.
    Genuine LoL!
  • Options
    I think most peoples reaction will be Gavin who....
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited November 2017
    FYI...Michael Fabricant is on CH4's First Date this evening. I hope there is no inappropriate knee touching !!!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

"About you" is more important than "about me".
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

https://twitter.com/alexpartridge87/status/926106283756998656
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I thought that said Alan Partridge for a split second.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited November 2017

RobD said:

Monkeys said:

What kind of fraud scandal? And what would constitute a "collapse"?

I can see a bear market coming up, but two, three years from now - we're miles off the peak. Altcoins, it's different, it's nothing but fraud. But it doesn't stop them.

A collapse would be a loss of (say) 80% in the price. This is likely to happen at some point - my wife's hairdresser is speculating in Bitcoins, about as strong a sell signal as you can ask for. The reason for the collapse will, as always, be a sudden loss of confidence, and something like a major fraud or technical crash at a big Bitcoin broker is the kind of thing that would trigger a rush to the exits, which would then become self-fulfilling.
    I'm holding onto my ~one bitcoin I mined a couple of years ago. It's either going to be worth loads or nothing. :p
    Just make sure you back up the private key, somewhere safe!
    From a work chat-room today:

Friend of mine lost 80 bitcoin a while back. The wallet was kept with his laptop which was stolen out of his car.

Which according to google would have been $562,688.70 [today]

Granted he lost it forever ago, back when we were all astonished BTC reached $100

I'm sure he wouldn't have held on to it this whole time

• Options
    HHemmelig said:

Scott_P said:

Would be have been any more surprised if Alan Partridge got a government minster job? I definitely think he has a higher chance than Rory the Tory.
  • Options
    Miss Cyclefree, reminds me a bit of advice about covering letters when trying to get an agent or publisher.

You need to be confident, but not cocky. Respectful, but not meek. Proud of accomplishments without bragging. They're bloody impossible.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

HHemmelig said:

This.

Didn't he say 'Tory boom and bust', meaning specifically the practice of encouraging a boom in the run up to elections - the Lawson boom and Barber boom for instance?
    As opposed to Labour boom and bust.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,904
    What might have seemed reasonable three months ago isn't any longer. I now realise that my avatar has fallen well below acceptable standards. I'd therefore like to offer my sincere apologies
  • Options
    F1: hmm. Trying to decide if it's too stupidly early to put money on some each way 2018 title bets.

I'd much prefer a market on the Constructors' (not got going on Ladbrokes, Betfair odds don't appeal) to back Red Bull. I think next year it's either Mercedes or Red Bull, and the latter will have nicer odds.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    rpjs said:

RobD said:

Monkeys said:

What kind of fraud scandal? And what would constitute a "collapse"?

I can see a bear market coming up, but two, three years from now - we're miles off the peak. Altcoins, it's different, it's nothing but fraud. But it doesn't stop them.

A collapse would be a loss of (say) 80% in the price. This is likely to happen at some point - my wife's hairdresser is speculating in Bitcoins, about as strong a sell signal as you can ask for. The reason for the collapse will, as always, be a sudden loss of confidence, and something like a major fraud or technical crash at a big Bitcoin broker is the kind of thing that would trigger a rush to the exits, which would then become self-fulfilling.
    I'm holding onto my ~one bitcoin I mined a couple of years ago. It's either going to be worth loads or nothing. :p
    Just make sure you back up the private key, somewhere safe!
    From a work chat-room today:

Friend of mine lost 80 bitcoin a while back. The wallet was kept with his laptop which was stolen out of his car.

Which according to google would have been $562,688.70 [today]

Granted he lost it forever ago, back when we were all astonished BTC reached $100

I'm sure he wouldn't have held on to it this whole time

I'm sure we've all heard of the 10,000 bitcoin pizza.....
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited November 2017
    Cyclefree said:

Work out who are the big players in your sector and do what they've done.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

"About you" is more important than "about me".
    "You are interested in hiring me, you want to be my client.... Do it."
  • Options

Miss Cyclefree, reminds me a bit of advice about covering letters when trying to get an agent or publisher.

You need to be confident, but not cocky. Respectful, but not meek. Proud of accomplishments without bragging. They're bloody impossible.

And probably a waste of paper. My agent used to hand letters and unsolicited TSs straight to her slush pile reader who never looked at the letters unless she had already made up her mind about the story, and then it was just to check the name and address!
  • Options

He just did what every single government of any hue (except possibly a Corbynistic hue, actively wanting the destruction of the economy) would have done. There was zero choice, so it's not exactly a great achievement. Rather the converse, in fact: Brown, Darling and Mervyn King between them made an absolute hash of Northern Rock, provoking a completely unnecessary bank run - the first in 150 years. They also screwed up very badly on HBOS. Luckily by the time it came to RBS and Lloyds, they finally realised what they had to do.
    He is a tin-eared, cack-handed no-hoper, the anti-Midas of politics; but also, now, an economic seer, globalisation's therapist, lionised by the European media, saluted by leaders who once disdained him and hailed by the new Nobel economics laureate as the man who may have saved the world financial system. If Hollywood ever makes a film about the crash of 2008, Mr Brown may be the reviled but ultimately vindicated nerdy hero (played by Tom Hanks).
    http://www.economist.com/node/12427804
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,830
    Mr.D., did you see the entertaining story of McLaren's fiddle brake ?
    http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/inside-the-mtc/mclaren-extra-pedal-3153421/

Amusing, and fascinating insight into F1 development.
  • Options

HHemmelig said:

Scott_P said:

Would be have been any more surprised if Alan Partridge got a government minster job? I definitely think he has a higher chance than Rory the Tory.
    It sometimes feels like they would rather ennoble Gordon Brown and give him a place in Cabinet than promote Rory.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    HHemmelig said:

IanB2 said:

HHemmelig said:

Cyclefree said:

But whilst it's impossible for Labour to win a decent majority without getting a lot of Middle England votes, they could squeak a 1974-esque victory without them.
    Yes I think that's right. But that also means that he will not have a free hand to do what he likes - his parliamentary position will not be strong enough to implement extremist policies.
  • Options
    The result of long hours of practice in front of the bathroom mirror I imagine.

https://twitter.com/matthewchampion/status/926070986117730304
  • Options
    Mr. B, I hadn't seen that. A nice little story, and the team's right to mention the double diffuser or F-duct. I quite liked Mercedes FRIC suspension trick, which was just based on what one of the engineers did on his own bike to keep it more level through corners.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
    Nigelb said:

An absolute joke that it got banned. But this did make me laugh...

We called it brake-steer, which was unfortunate when we tried to argue that it wasn’t anything to do with steering!

• Options

twitter.com/matthewchampion/status/926070986117730304

He's got nothing on Paris Hilton. :D
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,920

HHemmelig said:

IanB2 said:

HHemmelig said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes I think that's right. But that also means that he will not have a free hand to do what he likes - his parliamentary position will not be strong enough to implement extremist policies.
    Corbyn will have a mandate for what is in the Labour manifesto.
    Given how much his own party MPs dislike him + House of Lords he has virtually no chance of getting anything else through.
  • Options

With teeth like that you'd think he'd keep them hidden ......
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

stevef said:

Theresa May has done the right thing (from the Tory point of view). She's started to promote the younger up and coming generation to key positions, installing people who could succeed her in a few years time. The old farts club who are the current front runners are uninspiring, and its a mystery how a blonde buffoon, Donald Trump lookalike who looks like a pig in a wig could be the saviour of the Tory party (who could I be describing?).

I really dont think the Tories are as finished as some people think.

The Tories are and never will be finished Just sleeping as Blair said when they were facing his 179 majority.
    This reminds me of a conversation with a friend shortly after 1997 GE.
    He said that the next Conservative PM had not yet been born.
    I said that the next Conservative PM had not yet been elected to Westminster.

Correct about Cameron but not about TMay.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

We called it brake-steer, which was unfortunate when we tried to argue that it wasn’t anything to do with steering!

Best bit for me, which illustrates how even insiders can be utterly clueless...
    “I remember Alain Prost, who had a team at the time, saying we’ve got to ban this because it will cost millions in development,” he says. “And it was fifty quid’s worth of parts that we already had in the truck!”
  • Options

Mr. B, I hadn't seen that. A nice little story, and the team's right to mention the double diffuser or F-duct. I quite liked Mercedes FRIC suspension trick, which was just based on what one of the engineers did on his own bike to keep it more level through corners.

Yes - another relatively simple mechanical trick that got banned because...?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

They are a bit shark like. Probably quite useful for whip.
  • Options
    Mr. B, not sure why FRIC was banned. May've been a bit more expensive than the brake-steer, and maybe, like the F-duct, tricky to add as an update.

Or it might just be that it's easier for the FIA to ban things than tell teams to do their own damned homework and stop bitching because someone else had a good idea.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    edited November 2017

Yorkcity said:

stevef said:

Theresa May has done the right thing (from the Tory point of view). She's started to promote the younger up and coming generation to key positions, installing people who could succeed her in a few years time. The old farts club who are the current front runners are uninspiring, and its a mystery how a blonde buffoon, Donald Trump lookalike who looks like a pig in a wig could be the saviour of the Tory party (who could I be describing?).

The Tories are and never will be finished Just sleeping as Blair said when they were facing his 179 majority.

This is utter rubbish. The Tories are currently polling around 40%, a poll rating Major in 1997, Hague in 2001, IDS in 2003 and Howard in 2005 would have given their eye teeth for.

Corbyn at the moment is heading for a 1964 or 1974 result at best, a weak Labour minority government propped up by the LDs and SNP. He is nowhere near a Blair 1997 style landslide.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

They are a bit shark like. Probably quite useful for whip.
    Reminds me a bit of Jack the pervy conductor from On The Buses....given the revelations this week, it seems parliament is stuck in that era.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

HHemmelig said:

This.

Yep - I have been saying this for years. We were fortunate it was Brown and Darling (and Balls) doing the heavy lifting when the effluent hit the fan. And that it was Obama, not McCain, in charge in the US. The thing everyone forgets is how much worse it could all have been if siren voices further to the right had been listened to.
    It was Brown's bailing out every bank that asked which helped add yo the narrative the bankers got away with it and the rise of Corbyn, at least Dubya let Lehmans go bust.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,920
    Care to speculate?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    Sandpit said:

Indeed so. But some form of the EU Withdrawal Bill *has* to be passed, as so much of the country's legislative framework relies on it. Parliament could be forced to sit continuously for weeks if required, until something comes out of it. Corbyn has a very big chance of overplaying his hand in that situation.

If I could offer a Voice of Experience on this: set-piece Parliamentary showdowns tend to pass off with less fuss than one expects - the damage pops up when the whips overlook a brewing rebellion on a specific issue. The number of sitting days is already fixed, so the issue of going on forever won't arise, unless the Lords prove difficult. Essentially it will pass, with some significant amendments, and it's perfectly obvious that the Government has stuck in more Henry VIII stuff than they really need, in order to give themselves space to make concessions. Tory backbenchers will then declare themselves appeased.

In short, I don't think that the Withdrawal Bill is going to be the nemesis of the May Government. The real problem will be when the shape of the EU deal becomes clear, and people have to decide whether they're willing to go with it. Or, alternatively, when the Government simply loses the will to live - a by-election or two may concentrate minds.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,436
    edited November 2017
    rkrkrk said:

Care to speculate?
    I think we can guess from Nick P's previous exploits.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
    Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

Best bit for me, which illustrates how even insiders can be utterly clueless...
    “I remember Alain Prost, who had a team at the time, saying we’ve got to ban this because it will cost millions in development,” he says. “And it was fifty quid’s worth of parts that we already had in the truck!”
    I suspect he hadn't even considered the cost implication. If you want something banned, screaming "but it will cost too much" is often used tactic.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HHemmelig said:

This.

It was Brown's bailing out every bank that asked which helped add yo the narrative the bankers got away with it and the rise of Corbyn, at least Dubya let Lehmans go bust.
    Dubya did indeed let Lehmans go bust -- and so did Gordon Brown when Barclays was prevented from bailing out Lehmans.
  • Options
    One thing I think is odd: why put McVey in as a Whip? Whips don't do public stuff - they are never on TV etc.

The Tories are supposed to be going after the wwc vote in Midlands/North who are deserting Labour over Brexit/Corbyn. I have no idea what her background is, but she definitely sounds like she comes from somewhere other than the Home Counties and Oxbridge.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

That’s the most detailed account I’ve read of that story, a great example of F1 teams trying all sorts of ways to make the cars go quicker. When you’ve got a couple of dozen top engineers given time and money to think outside the box, this is what they come up with.

Watch carefully the new format of top 3 driver interviews after qualifying - the drivers all spend as much time as possible taking a good look at the other cars.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HHemmelig said:

This.

Dubya did indeed let Lehmans go bust -- and so did Gordon Brown when Barclays was prevented from bailing out Lehmans.
    He did get Lloyds to rescue HBOS though but Lehmans was a US bank every British bank got a bailout.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Leaving aside the question of what the National Cybersecurity Centre does all day, the implication is that the secrets of the whips' office are now in the possession of the KGB or possibly the Sunday papers in which case we might soon learn why Fallon did resign, along with the peccadillos of dozens of other Conservative MPs.
  • Options
  • Options
    Telegraph headline:

"Theresa May facing backlash from 'seething' Tories after appointing former chief whip Gavin Williamson as Defence Secretary"

Going so well...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,402
    What was Williamson's position on Brexit? Did he have one? Has she disturbed the balance? Otherwise it is not obvious why appointing another incompetent (assuming he is) to this cabinet could cause such a stir.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

stevef said:

This is utter rubbish. The Tories are currently polling around 40%, a poll rating Major in 1997, Hague in 2001, IDS in 2003 and Howard in 2005 would have given their eye teeth for.

Corbyn at the moment is heading for a 1964 or 1974 result at best, a weak Labour minority government propped up by the LDs and SNP. He is nowhere near a Blair 1997 style landslide.
    Cameron in 2010 proves that failing to achieve a majority is no guarantee that the loser will be back in government any time soon....Labour squeaking a 1974-esque victory by no means guarantees the Tories waltzing back into no.10 at the following election. I tend to agree that the Tories are assured a 40% vote share as long as Corbyn remains in place but if Corbyn sneaks in I expect him to be even more stubborn than May at holding onto power.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:
    Leaving aside the question of what the National Cybersecurity Centre does all day, the implication is that the secrets of the whips' office are now in the possession of the KGB or possibly the Sunday papers in which case we might soon learn why Fallon did resign, along with the peccadillos of dozens of other Conservative MPs.
    'Other Conservative AND Labour MP's ' - corrected it for you
  • Options
    DavidL said:

What was Williamson's position on Brexit? Did he have one? Has she disturbed the balance? Otherwise it is not obvious why appointing another incompetent (assuming he is) to this cabinet could cause such a stir.

He's not incompetent, quite the contrary. However, he has no experience of running a department, or of speaking at the dispatch box, and he is (to put it politely) not the world's most compelling public speaker.
  • Options

Telegraph headline:

"Theresa May facing backlash from 'seething' Tories after appointing former chief whip Gavin Williamson as Defence Secretary"

Going so well...

You mean they see their succession hopes disappearing
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Cyclefree said:

Thank you.

I suppose I could say, apropos the discussion on the thread, hire me or you'll end up like RBS. Or even "hire me and I'll stop you stop hiring crooks".

The trick is saying this without falling into that strange non-language known as management bollocks.

Anyway have been given some more contacts so need to go off and do some email networking.....
    Good luck. I’d do a home page, a page on problems, a page on solutions, a couple of case studies, a bio page and a contact form. Keep it simple for now.

Write the whole thing in first person plural, it gives the impression that you’re more than just one person.

Get a landline “Office” phone number and use an answer phone or a divert to your mobile - don’t write your mobile number on your website unless you want 100 spam sales calls a day.

Do a litttle research on basic search engine optimisation, website metadata and crawlers, make sure you’re got all relevant search terms included. http://www.searchengineguide.com/stoney-degeyter/seo-101-everything-you-need-to-know-abou.php
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    DavidL said:

Wasn't he the one in the background when May signed the deal with the DUP? presumably a confidante.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:
    Williamson was not the Labour chief whip. It's Conservatives who should worry about his phone being hacked.
  • Options

DavidL said:

He's not incompetent, quite the contrary. However, he has no experience of running a department, or of speaking at the dispatch box, and he is (to put it politely) not the world's most compelling public speaker.
    I am not saying he is Richard, I know nothing about him at all. I just can't understand why this appointment seems to have caused so many backbenchers to go off piste in a fairly major way. I am speculating that there is another agenda and since that is usually Brexit I was asking the question.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HHemmelig said:

This.

He did get Lloyds to rescue HBOS though but Lehmans was a US bank every British bank got a bailout.
    It makes little sense to look at it in terms of individual banks. Through contagion and bank runs, one failed bank leads to another which leads to another like a row of dominoes, which soon collapses all banks if there is no bailout of the system.
  • Options
    Blimey! I've just been contacted by the FT on the topic of banks and rogue traders. On/off the record? Can one trust journalists? OTOH a pretty good way of getting myself into the eye of possible clients..........Questions, questions.....

Anyway, must calm down. Otherwise I'll morph into a female @SeanT. And that would never do.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:
    Williamson was not the Labour chief whip. It's Conservatives who should worry about his phone being hacked.
    No matter - Guido's list on labour is very damaging and the media are now beginning to talk of shadow ministers resignations. This is not, nor should it be, party political as Cable said today as they receive a complaint of a cover up
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Cyclefree said:

Blimey! I've just been contacted by the FT on the topic of banks and rogue traders. On/off the record? Can one trust journalists? OTOH a pretty good way of getting myself into the eye of possible clients..........Questions, questions.....

Anyway, must calm down. Otherwise I'll morph into a female @SeanT. And that would never do.

You really have to grab that sort of chance. And we have it on good authority that @SeanT is a happily married man of impeachable behaviour. I mean unimpeachable. Woops!
  • Options

Sandpit said:

If I could offer a Voice of Experience on this: set-piece Parliamentary showdowns tend to pass off with less fuss than one expects - the damage pops up when the whips overlook a brewing rebellion on a specific issue. The number of sitting days is already fixed, so the issue of going on forever won't arise, unless the Lords prove difficult. Essentially it will pass, with some significant amendments, and it's perfectly obvious that the Government has stuck in more Henry VIII stuff than they really need, in order to give themselves space to make concessions. Tory backbenchers will then declare themselves appeased.

In short, I don't think that the Withdrawal Bill is going to be the nemesis of the May Government. The real problem will be when the shape of the EU deal becomes clear, and people have to decide whether they're willing to go with it. Or, alternatively, when the Government simply loses the will to live - a by-election or two may concentrate minds.
    Always good to hear from someone who’s been on the inside of these things, thanks Nick!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Always good to hear from someone who’s been on the inside of these things, thanks Nick!
    As sensible as ever
  • Options

DavidL said:

Wasn't he the one in the background when May signed the deal with the DUP? presumably a confidante.
    One of us seems a lot more important to this administration than it ever did to Mrs T.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, that reminds me of Schumacher around 2006 hanging around after qualifying to see how much other cars weighed to gauge their fuel loads.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    For our PB formula one fans -

Jim clark:The Quiet champion - Profile of the two time formula one champion, BBC4 tonight at 8pm
  • Options
    Mr. Johnno, cheers for flagging that up. Older stuff isn't my particular area of interest but I might give it a look.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

DavidL said:

He signed it

https://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/17F32/production/_96689089_torydupdealreuters.jpg
This discussion has been closed.