Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Damian Green goes that could put massive pressure on the PM

SystemSystem Posts: 11,727
edited November 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Damian Green goes that could put massive pressure on the PM

Getting closer to TMay. Damian Green, her deputy & long standing Oxford friend being investigatedhttps://t.co/FhqNllVt4z pic.twitter.com/Lz4k3NVT9N

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Tory scandal: “a fleeting hand against my knee — so brief, it was almost deniable” leaving her "angry"'

Versus

Labour scandal: a party alleged to be engaged in covering up rape.

Hmmm.
  • Options

Tory scandal: “a fleeting hand against my knee — so brief, it was almost deniable” leaving her "angry"'

Versus

Hmmm.

Agreed. LAB stinks on this but much less newsworthy because they are the opposition not the government
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,044
    The Green allegations seem to be the most serious against any Conservative, because there was an emerging pattern of behaviour and a power imbalance between a senior minister and a young journalist. I can understand why this journalist was concerned about it, more than say JH-B, who was well known and feisty enough to have given someone a slap around the face at a function. If it’s only the one woman then Green’s probably okay though, a clumsy pass at someone and a couple of flirtatious text messages are probably a reprimandable rather than a sackable offence.

The famous Tory spreadsheet looks like a damp squib, most of the allegations are either already in the public domain or about activity by consenting adults on an equal footing. I was expecting at least a couple of Monica Lewinskis to be honest.

The allegation by Bex Bailey on the Labour side, that’s altogether more serious and I hope the police investigate as well as the party.

I also hope that Miss Bailey isn’t the only woman to come forward from politics with a serious allegation, she’s been incredibly brave and doesn’t deserve to stand alone.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

The Green allegations seem to be the most serious against any Conservative

Disagree - while Green may have been (a bit) flirty there is not remotely any suggestion of Weinstein like behaviour - while with one or two other MPs on the list (which I agree is a very damp squib) there might be evidence of more serious behaviour.

What we have with Green is a very trivial allegation against a very serious politician.

Labour have a very serious allegation against an un-named and quite possibly very trivial politician.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Disagree - while Green may have been (a bit) flirty there is not remotely any suggestion of Weinstein like behaviour - while with one or two other MPs on the list (which I agree is a very damp squib) there might be evidence of more serious behaviour.

What we have with Green is a very trivial allegation against a very serious politician.

Labour have a very serious allegation against an un-named and quite possibly very trivial politician.
    I’ve not seen the full list so not sure what might be revealed in the future, only what’s been in the news for the past few days - which isn’t really very much apart from Miss Bailey and a couple of ‘handsy’ Tories at conference. As you say, there’s nothing remotely like the Hollywood allegations out there.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,561
    edited November 2017
    The Guardian is carrying a story about an attempted rape by an MP:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/31/westminster-staffer-says-she-was-sexually-assaulted-by-mp

Nobody is being named, and that includes the party, nor is there enough information to even begin to guess at who the alleged attacker is (probably deliberately).

If however this one is substantiated it would be the most serious in terms of its potential political impact, because rather unusually it was only the party that could have imposed any meaningful sanction and they clearly failed to do so.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I’ve not seen the full list so not sure what might be revealed in the future, only what’s been in the news for the past few days - which isn’t really very much apart from Miss Bailey and a couple of ‘handsy’ Tories at conference. As you say, there’s nothing remotely like the Hollywood allegations out there.
    BBC political editor Laura Kuenssberg described the list as a mixture of unsavoury allegations, reports of well-known relationships, and some claims that are furiously denied.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-41827264

Apart from one or two MPs where there might be a pattern of behaviour, most of the stuff was very trivial - or embarrassing - or already known..

The Tories used to do proper sex scandals!

Glamorous models, foreign diplomats, romps in football strips, ghastly accidents.

By a wide margin the Labour story is the most alarming (not that I think other parties might not have had similar 'for the good of the party, in your own long-term interests' conversations) - that did shock me.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-41821671
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135
    edited November 2017

Sandpit said:

In my time I went to quite a few professional and political conferences and a bit of flirting, and sometimes more wasn’t unusual. Tended to be under 'sort of 'Chatham House rules; what happened at Conference stayed at Conference. And if one of the potential participants made it clear that they weren’t interested, that was that and everyone moved on.

As Ms V says, not a lot to see here, apart from Miss B.
  • Options

Versus

Hmmm.

Agreed. LAB stinks on this but much less newsworthy because they are the opposition not the government
    I think it will become newsworthy though. Labour are trying to show themselves as a Govt in waiting. That Govt. has to offer something better, something that represents a higher standard, somethign that moves on from what has gone before. It is politically most damaging with just those people they need to convince.
  • Options
    FPT

Let's be honest, if the power to decide this rests with the Speaker, Bercow will not hesitate to use the opportunity to embarrass the government.

Which would be fine, except that in this case there can be no doubt that publishing the studies will severely damage the national interest. Labour are being utterly cynical (well there's a surprise...)
    You don't go into any negotiations by publishing everything you have. Starmer knows that. He also knows that he would not find it any easier if he were ever to have to deal with this sort of complex negotiation.

Beyond cynical.
    Ever done high stakes negotiation? I once negotiated a £25m contract, and as we agreed parameters for my (supplier) side at the beginning the M.D. threw onto the table "just so we're clear, if you fuck this up I might have to shut a factory. No pressure boys". Knowing that "no deal" was unacceptable we structured the external negotiationa in a way as to get the best deal we could - trading concessiona generously in areas we could afford to in order to protect areas we couldnt trade such as not winning the contract.

That is all Starmer wants, for HMG to public the proof and therefore accept that no deal is not as various cabinet ministers suggest a glorious British future but is actually us fucked. This is hardly a revelation to the opposing negotiators, they already know this. We aren't tipping them a hand or handing them power in the to and fro, we're setting our internal parameters around what we are negotiating and WHY.

Because the alternative is clear. "The EU were holding out for an extra £10bn and we said no deal, aren't we marvellous". / "Erm no, we could afford that £10bn more than we can afford the economic crisis you've caused by no deal"
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    ydoethur said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/31/westminster-staffer-says-she-was-sexually-assaulted-by-mp

Nobody is being named, and that includes the party, nor is there enough information to even begin to guess at who the alleged attacker is (probably deliberately).

If however this one is substantiated it would be the most serious in terms of its potential political impact, because rather unusually it was only the party that could have imposed any meaningful sanction and they clearly failed to do so.

That’s worrying because of the reaction of the Parliamentary authorities in deciding to brush the story under the table rather than investigate the MP concerned. I think a response from Mr Bercow is probably required to this.

Difficult to name the MP in this case without naming the accuser, and the incident occurred abroad so British police can’t do anything. Sadly anonymous allegations against anonymous MPs are destined to go nowhere.
  • Options
    No-one could believe, could they, that below the radar Government is keeping this bubbling to provide an alternative focus for such as us to Brexit?
  • Options

FPT

Let's be honest, if the power to decide this rests with the Speaker, Bercow will not hesitate to use the opportunity to embarrass the government.

Which would be fine, except that in this case there can be no doubt that publishing the studies will severely damage the national interest. Labour are being utterly cynical (well there's a surprise...)
    You don't go into any negotiations by publishing everything you have. Starmer knows that. He also knows that he would not find it any easier if he were ever to have to deal with this sort of complex negotiation.

Beyond cynical.
    Ever done high stakes negotiation? I once negotiated a £25m contract, and as we agreed parameters for my (supplier) side at the beginning the M.D. threw onto the table "just so we're clear, if you fuck this up I might have to shut a factory. No pressure boys". Knowing that "no deal" was unacceptable we structured the external negotiationa in a way as to get the best deal we could - trading concessiona generously in areas we could afford to in order to protect areas we couldnt trade such as not winning the contract.

That is all Starmer wants, for HMG to public the proof and therefore accept that no deal is not as various cabinet ministers suggest a glorious British future but is actually us fucked. This is hardly a revelation to the opposing negotiators, they already know this. We aren't tipping them a hand or handing them power in the to and fro, we're setting our internal parameters around what we are negotiating and WHY.

Because the alternative is clear. "The EU were holding out for an extra £10bn and we said no deal, aren't we marvellous". / "Erm no, we could afford that £10bn more than we can afford the economic crisis you've caused by no deal"
    Bollocks is it what Starmer wants. He wants cheap political points, playing for them with the biggest negotiation our country has undertaken in decades. With, as you suggest, an economic crisis being the risk of failure.

These reports should be classified as Cabinet papers and slapped with the 30 years rule.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    So she wears a corset for all the world to see and then gets upset when someone supposedly puts a hand on her knee. It doesn't ring true to me.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

So she wears a corset for all the world to see and then gets upset when someone supposedly puts a hand on her knee. It doesn't ring true to me.

She was asking for it you mean?
  • Options
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

What does this mean, if anything?

The implication that Labour's "wizard wheeze" today was actually dreamt up by John Bercow
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Alistair said:

NO , She doesn't seen like a wilting flower.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Didn't the knee incident happen before the corset?
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    FPT:

Beyond cynical.
    Starmer is giving the impression that embarrassing the government is more important than achieving a successful deal with the EU. What possible benefit to Britain is there in publishing private government papers on a treaty negotiation which isn’t yet completed?

And even if Starmer and Bercow conspire to order them published, the government will surely stamp them “Top Secret” and release them 99% redacted anyway?

And all that happens in the meantime is that Davis and his department get distracted from what they’re supposed to be doing. Pointless and petty politics from Labour here
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,928
    Scott_P said:
    My recollection is that the House of Commons clerks work for parliament not government, and therefore it's fine for them to give advice to the opposition which is harmful to the government, and vice versa.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Versus

Hmmm.

I think it will become newsworthy though. Labour are trying to show themselves as a Govt in waiting. That Govt. has to offer something better, something that represents a higher standard, somethign that moves on from what has gone before. It is politically most damaging with just those people they need to convince.
    Normally I'd agree but I'm unconvinced that the general public sees even the Weinstein stuff, awful as it may be, with much more than a ' Pope outed as a Catholic' story. The truth is that politicians are much like the rest of us - mostly ok but none of us saints.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The implication that Labour's "wizard wheeze" today was actually dreamt up by John Bercow
    The trouble is Letts could also be taken as saying the opposite: that the Speaker had ruled out whatever stunts Labour might have been planning.

So we have a single source has told Letts that an unnamed official in the Speaker's office might have intervened and if so then it might have been for or against Labour.
  • Options

Alistair said:

NO , She doesn't seen like a wilting flower.
    If I open a newspaper and find a photo of someone I am acquainted with in a corset what am I meant to say in my next email to them ?
  • Options

Bollocks is it what Starmer wants. He wants cheap political points, playing for them with the biggest negotiation our country has undertaken in decades. With, as you suggest, an economic crisis being the risk of failure.

These reports should be classified as Cabinet papers and slapped with the 30 years rule.

With no deal, a crash is an absolute not a variable. There is nothing Starmer, Davis, you or I can do to change the impact that a hard border and customs checks on the EU side has on trade, logistics, costs, prices, companies and jobs. Industry has been explicit about the disaster facing it with a hard border, yet cretins write them off as unpatriotic or talking Britain down or some other vacuous guff.

What the country needs is to punch the likes of Davis and Johnson hard enough to wake them from their delusion. We have to have a deal. And that's not a recipe for writing a blank cheque, it's an invitation to re-examine all the other options. Leaving the EU does not mean we have to leave the EEA or our senses.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

No but the average Josephine would not choose to publish pictures of them in their nether garments for general consumption, surely. Why on earth would anyone do that?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

That’s worrying because of the reaction of the Parliamentary authorities in deciding to brush the story under the table rather than investigate the MP concerned. I think a response from Mr Bercow is probably required to this.

Difficult to name the MP in this case without naming the accuser, and the incident occurred abroad so British police can’t do anything. Sadly anonymous allegations against anonymous MPs are destined to go nowhere.
    Sexual offences by UK nationals committed abroad can be prosecuted in the UK. So the police could act if the matter was reported to them.
  • Options

Why not get annoyed? It’s her body?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sexual offences by UK nationals committed abroad can be prosecuted in the UK. So the police could act if the matter was reported to them.
    Now that is very interesting indeed. Because in the article it says she *did* report this to the police and was told they were powerless as it happened abroad.

So either the article is wrong or the police are for it too.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,543

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

They certainly can now Alastair but I am struggling to recall when that was changed. It might depend when this was. My recollection is that this was changed so the likes of Gary Glitter could be prosecuted for his appalling behaviour in the far east. If so that was a while ago.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Would Bercow know about obscure parliamentary rules?
    More likely I think that the clerks provided advice - which I think is fine.
  • Options
    felix said:

Alistair said:

No but the average Josephine would not choose to publish pictures of them in their nether garments for general consumption, surely. Why on earth would anyone do that?
    I might in a moment of madness pose in my underwear on the front page of a newspaper (I doubt it would be good for circulation figures). If I did, I would expect some fresh comments from all and sundry. I wouldn't particularly be expecting all and sundry to try it on with me. And I would certainly not be inviting all and sundry to cop a feel of me.

This example is unusually theoretical, but I think it holds good.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:

What is this wizard wheeze anyway? Have they found a way of making Opposition day motions meaningful?
  • Options
    View_From_CumbriaView_From_Cumbria Posts: 241
    edited November 2017
    Jesus, this is all so demeaning. Not just of the people involved or politicians generally, but of all of us.

I suppose we get the politicians we deserve. Perhaps if we paid a LOT more for the job we might get people who don't make use feel the need to turn our heads aside and quietly puke into a bag.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:

What is this wizard wheeze anyway? Have they found a way of making Opposition day motions meaningful?
    Apparently there will be a binding vote on whether to release Brexit impact studies.
    Unconvinced this will be particularly groundbreaking stuff but anyway...

"Parliament's rulebook Erskine May states that each House has the power to call for the production of papers through an address to the sovereign, but notes that the procedure has been used rarely since the middle of the 19th century."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/labour-using-obscure-parliamentary-rule-11445034
  • Options

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

That’s interesting, because it contradicts the Guardian article which says the police said they were powerless to act in this case when the assault was reported to them. Possibly more people with questions to answer.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:

Apparently there will be a binding vote on whether to release Brexit impact studies.

"Parliament's rulebook Erskine May states that each House has the power to call for the production of papers through an address to the sovereign, but notes that the procedure has been used rarely since the middle of the 19th century."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/labour-using-obscure-parliamentary-rule-11445034
    Ah, thanks. The government have brought this on themselves with their demeaning approach to Opposition resolutions. But I can't see how the production of documents which may well undermine our negotiating position with the EU can be in the national interest.
  • Options

Jesus, this is all so demeaning. Not just of the people involved or politicians generally, but of all of us.

I suppose we get the politicians we deserve. Perhaps if we paid a LOT more for the job we might get people who don't make use feel the need to turn our heads aside and quietly puke into a bag.

The rape allegation apart, obviously, I have not seen anything yet that you would not find amongst an equivalent number of lawyers, doctors or other professionals let alone those in the dramatic arts. I really don't see how paying them more and inflating their sense of self importance even further would be likely to help.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

They certainly can now Alastair but I am struggling to recall when that was changed. It might depend when this was. My recollection is that this was changed so the likes of Gary Glitter could be prosecuted for his appalling behaviour in the far east. If so that was a while ago.
    The Guardian article, which I've just looked at, says the alleged assault was last year. Section 72 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003 seems to have been overlooked by everyone.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

The Guardian article, which I've just looked at, says the alleged assault was last year. Section 72 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003 seems to have been overlooked by everyone.
    If it was last year then there is certainly no bar to prosecution. In such circumstances I think a Party would have to be very careful about any investigation because it would be a police matter.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:

Ah, thanks. The government have brought this on themselves with their demeaning approach to Opposition resolutions. But I can't see how the production of documents which may well undermine our negotiating position with the EU can be in the national interest.
    Anyone know how classification works?

Surely making these subject to the same rules as cabinet papers proper solves the problem and makes Labour look opportunist? Win Win.
  • Options

felix said:

Alistair said:

I might in a moment of madness pose in my underwear on the front page of a newspaper (I doubt it would be good for circulation figures). If I did, I would expect some fresh comments from all and sundry. I wouldn't particularly be expecting all and sundry to try it on with me. And I would certainly not be inviting all and sundry to cop a feel of me.

Indeed - but the allegation as I understand it has been strongly denied nor was it as strong as you have described it. Nor do I fully concur with your views about self-publicity. If as you suggest she suffered from ' a moment of madness' - maybe there was more than one. :)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The rape allegation apart, obviously, I have not seen anything yet that you would not find amongst an equivalent number of lawyers, doctors or other professionals let alone those in the dramatic arts. I really don't see how paying them more and inflating their sense of self importance even further would be likely to help.
    Yes, you could be right. It does worry me though that we go around delivering election material offering competing visions of a bright confident new tomorrow and then find not that some of them have feet of clay, but all of them do. I guess there won't be many moves against anything so far but I also guess those named will be unlikely to fight another election.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    Sandpit said:

FPT:

Beyond cynical.
    Starmer is giving the impression that embarrassing the government is more important than achieving a successful deal with the EU. What possible benefit to Britain is there in publishing private government papers on a treaty negotiation which isn’t yet completed?

And even if Starmer and Bercow conspire to order them published, the government will surely stamp them “Top Secret” and release them 99% redacted anyway?

And all that happens in the meantime is that Davis and his department get distracted from what they’re supposed to be doing. Pointless and petty politics from Labour here
    Er! Except that is precisely what Opposition Parties are expected to do. The clue is in the name.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:

Surely the EU have done their own impact asessments? I suspect there is nothing in the 58 that is not known to the other side, or indeed to intelligent journalists.

What is being hidden is being done so for domestic political reasons.
  • Options

I'm not sure paying more would change a thing - I suspect the Weinstein [pay] package may at least be quite considerable!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I doubt the documents will say anything that the EU couldn't work out by themselves.
    It's just political theatre from Labour, so that they can say - the government's own advice says this will be bad etc. etc.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:

Surely making these subject to the same rules as cabinet papers proper solves the problem and makes Labour look opportunist? Win Win.
    And there was I thinking that Leavers claimed that Brexit was all about restoring Parliamentary sovereignty. Clearly it wasn't.
  • Options
    Again, the EU are as well aware as we are that no deal leaves the UK fucked. We aren't going to show them shocking things they didn't know will will change their stance.

What we might achieve is revealing shocking things that Davis et al refuse to accept that forces them to grow up and negotiate an actual deal. The EU would prefer our post-Brexit relations with them to closely resemble now, allowing their significant interests in the UK to continue unimpeded.

The reality check is that our loons believe the power gauge is over on our side - they need us more than we need them, BMW will force Merkel to force Barnier to roll over. The reality is that the EU can't give ground on their rules and principles to get an unimpeded position - it's too high a cost. That our side refuse to face that is the crisis, we can't afford to be "surprised" by chaos and collapse in April 19 or "shocked" when the documents then leak and demonstrate the government were told this would happen
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    felix said:

I'm not sure paying more would change a thing - I suspect the Weinstein [pay] package may at least be quite considerable!
    Miaow!

I think you should change your name to Felis Domesticus!

(Although you're probably right in both the fact and the implication.)

Have a good day everyone.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Yes, you could be right. It does worry me though that we go around delivering election material offering competing visions of a bright confident new tomorrow and then find not that some of them have feet of clay, but all of them do. I guess there won't be many moves against anything so far but I also guess those named will be unlikely to fight another election.
    Hardly "all of them". There are clearly some lecherous boors in the House, but such behavior is not anywhere near universal.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Meeks, cheers for posting that. As others have indicated, the suggestion was no police action occurred because it happened abroad.
  • Options

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:

Surely the EU have done their own impact asessments? I suspect there is nothing in the 58 that is not known to the other side, or indeed to intelligent journalists.

What is being hidden is being done so for domestic political reasons.
    It would show what we were really worried about and what we were not, where our pressure points are. Obviously a lot of these would be fairly obvious to anyone who thought about it but I certainly wouldn't want that available to the other side before I entered any negotiation. There is a big difference between their perception of our weaknesses and our own thoughts.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036
    Seems like parliament is one giant knocking zhop
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

I doubt the documents will say anything that the EU couldn't work out by themselves.
    It's just political theatre from Labour, so that they can say - the government's own advice says this will be bad etc. etc.
    But in a negotiation you can brass things out, we can work around that, we don't think that is all that serious etc etc. Pretty hard to do if your own papers are declaring this would be a disaster.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

But in a negotiation you can brass things out, we can work around that, we don't think that is all that serious etc etc. Pretty hard to do if your own papers are declaring this would be a disaster.
    If your own papers are declaring that this would be a disaster, isn't there a rather more obvious conclusion to be drawn about your proposed course of action?
  • Options
    The government's stuff should be kept secret from everyone except those who need it via a visit Brexit negotiations.
    It is happening, we need the best deal possible. Starter is free to ask for the papers but he is not the government
  • Options

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:

And there was I thinking that Leavers claimed that Brexit was all about restoring Parliamentary sovereignty. Clearly it wasn't.
    Indeed. The ability to make our own laws.

Not the ability to endanger our negotiations with what will soon be a foreign power.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

Versus

Hmmm.

Sounds more like an attempt at deflection from the Tories, they've just woken up that the attempt to deflect from the Brexs*it mess, has opened up a bigger can of worms. A couple of small ones thrown to the corvids of the press and public opinion, while the large ones squirm back into their holes in the ground. Fallon falling on his sword didn't work, Green writhing on the grass of Westminster Green is obviously overblown - but then there is Boris, and several others..
  • Options

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

If your own papers are declaring that this would be a disaster, isn't there a rather more obvious conclusion to be drawn about your proposed course of action?
    Well you certainly don't show hem to the opposing side.
  • Options
    In a heroic move the Mirror “names names”....that are already in the public domain:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/whos-who-tory-dossier-36-11445592.amp
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

Its basic practicalities. The EU will impose a hard border as they do with any 3rd party. A hard border will create massive queues on traffic. That adds massive logistics costs which means prices shoot up which creates a recession. At the same time industry and business which had relied on cross border movements will change their practices to minimise cross border movement. Which in practice means factories shutting here and prosuction going to their EU counterparts. Which costs jobs just as prices shoot up. Which deepens the recession.

These aren't state secrets. It's not how much cash we have in the bank that's asked to be published. It's basic economics. Anyone with a brain can predict the impact of what the EU rules mandate them to do with no deal. Our problem is that our negotiators and their cheerleaders have chosen to ignore these basic facts for political reasons.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:

Not the ability to endanger our negotiations with what will soon be a foreign power.
    You seem terrified that a majority of MPs might disagree with your assessment of the risks, to the point that you would thwart Parliament's supremacy, in complete contradiction of your supposed casus belli.

Evidently you're utterly muddleheaded and providing a post hoc justification for your irrational hatred of the EU.
  • Options

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

David Davis has effectively admitted that.

https://twitter.com/politicshome/status/925458607621017600
  • Options
    The Tories are going to be judged in the court of public opinion on this one. Guilty as sin to be honest
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,173
    edited November 2017

felix said:

Alistair said:

Sounds about right.
    As Ms Maltby said, "this is hardly the most terrible thing that has happened to a woman..." - but getting [what appears to an uninformed observer to be]* a come on ("having admired you in a corset, I feel compelled...etc") from a friend and contemporary of your parents is just a bit creepy.

I really don't think it's a resignation issue, and I would be fairly amazed if that were to happen, but I have little doubt that Mrs. May is going to think 'eew' every so often, when she looks at him across the cabinet table....

* qualification inserted to make it clear I have no idea if this was Mr. Green's intention, or whether he's just a bit thick.
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, indeed, but that does assume Starmer sees the EU as the other side.

Labour's behaviour on the EU suggests they see it as the Conservatives versus the EU, and if they can make hay in domestic politics by playing silly buggers over this then they're happy to do so.
  • Options

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

Perhaps publishing the papers is part of plan Reverse Ferret.

An EEA type agreement is about the only deal that could be wrapped before the deadline. Its about time our side were honest with the people.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

Unless you're trying to undermine the Govt's position.

I think it's all unnecessary anyway - suspect the Govt will win the vote today.
  • Options

In a heroic move the Mirror “names names”....that are already in the public domain:

Isn’t it ‘an heroic”?

Not that I think the Mirror is!
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

Unless you're trying to undermine the Govt's position.

I think it's all unnecessary anyway - suspect the Govt will win the vote today.
    Nothing to worry about, Liam Fox said getting a deal with the EU would be the easiest thing in the world.
  • Options
    OchEye said:

Versus

Hmmm.

Sounds more like an attempt at deflection from the Tories, they've just woken up that the attempt to deflect from the Brexs*it mess, has opened up a bigger can of worms. A couple of small ones thrown to the corvids of the press and public opinion, while the large ones squirm back into their holes in the ground. Fallon falling on his sword didn't work, Green writhing on the grass of Westminster Green is obviously overblown - but then there is Boris, and several others..
    How in the name of everything holy is Labour hiding an allegation of rape by one of its own on one of its own "deflection". Oh yeah, rape, that's just our opponents making mischief.

FFS.....
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:

You seem terrified that a majority of MPs might disagree with your assessment of the risks, to the point that you would thwart Parliament's supremacy, in complete contradiction of your supposed casus belli.

Evidently you're utterly muddleheaded and providing a post hoc justification for your irrational hatred of the EU.
    I'm not terrified at all. I think the Govt will win the vote.

But nakedly partisan moves to get negotiation papers in the public domain deserve to be called out for what they are.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

The Tories are going to be judged in the court of public opinion on this one. Guilty as sin to be honest
    I think everyone needs to be very cautious in their observations
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Guiltier than a party that hushed up a rape?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The Tories are ALWAYS assumed to be low-life, lying, cheating scum by "the court of public opinion". It's priced in.

Labour, on the other hand, are supposed to offer this wonderful new view, sat up their on their high horse, surveying the moral high ground....
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

I just don't think there will be anything in there that is in any way a surprise to the EU.

They will have experts for all of the sectors mentioned, who work on trade deals for a living and have a lot more experience than the people on our side.

It's not going to be a surprise to them to learn our assessment of the impact of losing financial passporting for instance. It's probably pretty much the same as their assessment.

If the govt are really worried - I suppose they could offer to share the papers with selected Labour MPs.
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, you're misreading the way that changes things. Labour get away with more. Their current leader has marched with banners of a dictatorship and giant pictures of genocidal tyrants. And the media doesn't seem to give a damn.

Everything the Conservatives do wrong confirms the pre-existing notion they're just out for themselves.

Right now, the rape story is 6th on the BBC Politics website. The potential knee-touching + text story is top. You might argue that's because the latter is only emerging, but that doesn't justify why the rape story is so far down the pecking order.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

I just don't think there will be anything in there that is in any way a surprise to the EU.

They will have experts for all of the sectors mentioned, who work on trade deals for a living and have a lot more experience than the people on our side.

It's not going to be a surprise to them to learn our assessment of the impact of losing financial passporting for instance. It's probably pretty much the same as their assessment.

If the govt are really worried - I suppose they could offer to share the papers with selected Labour MPs.
    If Labour were actually concerned with the national interests they would have requested them behind closed doors, on Privy council terms.

Requesting them to be made public is just trying to stir up trouble.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

felix said:

Miaow!

I think you should change your name to Felis Domesticus!

(Although you're probably right in both the fact and the implication.)

Have a good day everyone.
    I cannot think what you might mean :)
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

The Tories are ALWAYS assumed to be low-life, lying, cheating scum by "the court of public opinion". It's priced in.

Labour, on the other hand, are supposed to offer this wonderful new view, sat up their on their high horse, surveying the moral high ground....
    Why do it though ?

This feels like the mid nineties - sleaze sleaze sleaze, and instead of having a basically sensible Labour PM in waiting we've got f*cking Corbyn who is going to cost alot of jobs.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I think you mean 'guilty as sin to be political' - honesty doesn't come into it.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,108

Versus

Hmmm.

TheRe is probably more to come for both. We shall see.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited November 2017
    The Green issue is really one related to power imbalances, both in terms of the age imbalance as well as Green and Maltby’s positions in their respective occupations at the time. Obviously it’s nowhere near as serious as the Labour allegation. But it’s brings up issues worth discussing - such as older, senior men using their power in positions such as this in relation to younger women in less senior positions, who unlike JHB may not be feel as confident in saying ‘no’ because of the power imbalance.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,233
    I don't think the Green revelations will affect May's position too much, she is still likely to depart soon after the Brexit negotiations are complete. However the chances of David Davis succeeding her as leader have increased as we know he has not been named on the spreadsheet and nor was Jacob Rees Mogg, so the latter's chances have also improved.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Why do it though ?

This feels like the mid nineties - sleaze sleaze sleaze, and instead of having a basically sensible Labour PM in waiting we've got f*cking Corbyn who is going to cost alot of jobs.
    Why do what? From what I have seen, most of the worst of the current allegations is clumsy, drunken twattishness. Good luck in stopping that in any walk of life. In any party. The rest is padded out with people having affairs. Colour me underwhelmed.

It is NOT in any way, shape, or form behaviour that can be likened to that of Weinstein. Well, not until you get onto allegations of rape. And nobody is suggesting that is something any party would turn a blind eye to.

Oh.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:
    My recollection is that the House of Commons clerks work for parliament not government, and therefore it's fine for them to give advice to the opposition which is harmful to the government, and vice versa.
    Seems very reasonable.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

Pulpstar said:

Guiltier than a party that hushed up a rape?
    The public are going to take a broad and unfair "All politicians are at it" judgment. In reality, I think:

(1) No leader or party can hope to keep the entire party, or even the entire Parliamentary party, free of dubious sexual activity and in some cases misuse of power. The actions of any individual Minister or party official can't reasonably be blamed on anyone except those individuals.

(2) However, anyone who is the subject of unwanted attentions beyond a trivial level needs to feel that by complaining they will deter the offender (with resignation or prosecution where appropriate) without any adverse consequences for themselves. None of the parties have up to now made this sufficiently clear.

I don't think any of us can profitably try to make it a party issue, frankly.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

If Labour were actually concerned with the national interests they would have requested them behind closed doors, on Privy council terms.

Requesting them to be made public is just trying to stir up trouble.
    Indeed so. There’s no reason to publish the documents except to make trouble for our negotiating team.

If Starmer wants to read them then there’s ways that can happen such as the Privy Council, but that’s not what he wants. Labour’s duplicity on the EU issue is becoming more obvious and I can’t imagine that they’ll generate much public support for trying to trash the negotiations.

Or maybe they’re just trying to change the subject from a rape allegation against a senior party official?
  • Options

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

David Davis has effectively admitted that.

https://twitter.com/politicshome/status/925458607621017600
    Brexit was never about getting getting 1 up on the EU over the economy, it was about reclaiming sovereignty and reducing immigration despite endless Remainer earnings over the economy and in any case we are still ultimately progressing to a FTA.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, indeed, the question is whether the Speaker or his underlings went out of their way to help a party on their own initiative, or merely responded to a query in an objective and fair manner.
  • Options

Isn’t it ‘an heroic”?

Not that I think the Mirror is!
    An on the wane
    But support for this an is on the wane. Both the Guardian and Telegraph style guides, as well as the Oxford Dictionary, advocate using a when the h is pronounced at all (‘a hotel, a historian’). And etymologist Michael Quinion, himself a self-confessed ‘old-fashioned’ an user, points out younger people’s preference for a.

But fogies with a fondness for an can at least still count on The Times style guide (‘prefer an hotel to a hotel, an historic to a historic, an heroic rather than a heroic’). And Fowler’s Modern English Usage kindly acknowledges that ‘the choice of form remains open’.

http://www.writing-skills.com/hit-or-myth-use-an-before-h-words
  • Options

Why? Harvey Weinstein is worth about $200 million
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I don't think the Green revelations will affect May's position too much, she is still likely to depart soon after the Brexit negotiations are complete. However the chances of David Davis succeeding her as leader have increased as we know he has not been named on the spreadsheet and nor was Jacob Rees Mogg, so the latter's chances have also improved.

It looks like TM needs to conduct a cabinet reshuffle once the extent of issues are out in the open and hopefully she will bring in new faces and give an opportunity to others to shine.

I do not see David Davis as PM but JRM could come through but expect it will be someone off the radar at present
  • Options

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:

Amusing, but as was noted a few times last night it's unclear whether labour's plans to get the papers are within parliaments power or not. Certainly the way the text is written it seems motions for unopposed returnd need to be instigated by the controlling minister. If that is true then it wouldn't be resisting parliamentary sovereignty at all, it woukd just be a rule of parliament that they cannot get the papers this way. If that is so doing it is not restoring any sovereignty it's manufacturing it where it didn't exist.

But if theyve been given advice that parliament , via the opposition requesting, can demand this too, then fair enough. If it's a rule it's a rule. If parliament or the law permits them to classify them to stop that too, that too is not impacting the soverienty.
This discussion has been closed.