Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Syria – How it will impact domestic politics

Comments

• Options
    Was this Ed Kinnock's Westland moment?
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

International law is whatever the great powers of the day decide it is. Discuss.

International law doesn't exist in any meaningful sense. It is a series of decisions taken for political expediency. The UN doesn't have legislative powers - and would be a nightmare if it did. The Security Council is completely misnamed - and urgently needs reform.

The world needs to find a way to send a message to both sides in the Syrian conflict that Chemical Warfare is completely unacceptable. With the Sino-Russian position, we aren't going to get a vote through the UN - and so we have to look at ALL other means. I don't like the idea of military intervention - but I think the Serbian model is probably the right one. Strategic bombing has to be on the table - invasion must not be.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Dan Hodges already tweeted that
  • Options

Political, but unrelated to Syria: May's made some call or other about domestic violence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23875557

However, I really dislike the way it's portrayed as exclusively something men do to women. There is a very large male minority of victims, and of course the abuse can and does happen in homosexual relationships as well. It seems like one of the last bastions of unthinking, blinkered sexism to pretend men couldn't possibly be victims.

You're clearly not up to date on official sexism theory:

Sexism against women is regressive
    Sexism against men is progressive
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,550
    edited August 2013
    Scott_P said:

Dan Hodges already tweeted that
    Oh God, the shame that it's second time Dan and I have had the same thought this year.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Mr. Richard, I appreciate that perspective (given some women seem to want no women in prison at all and quotas for board members), but it irks me quite significantly.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited August 2013

Thanks for that reply, Mr. Pork.

It will be interesting to see how long the poisonous ghost of Blair's claims lingers.

As long as there are military interventions in the middle east with less than clear aims and very limited and contested information I would think. Quite some time to come in other words.

There just aren't that many outstanding orators in parliament these days to be honest. The passion is too forced and the language too filed with jargon for most of them. Though I'd happily be proved wrong if someone can rise to the occasion. I seem to remember some political figure saying these kind of set-piece debates used to be watched closely by the whips for rising talent. Though if they still are I have no idea.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    The Lebanese daily Al-Akhbar, which is close to the Assad regime, reported on Thursday that the regime has come to believe that a Western attack will likely occur. In a recent meeting with the Syrian leadership, President Bashar Assad asked his generals to maintain high morale ahead of an imminent attack.

“Since the beginning of the crisis, you have known that we await the moment when our true enemy will intervene. I know that your morale is high and you are fully prepared to confront any aggression and safeguard the nation,” Assad was quoted by the daily as saying.

“This is a historic confrontation from which we shall emerge victorious,” he added.

In Damascus residents began to prepare for an expected American strike, which could come as early as Thursday, stocking up on water and batteries, according to Reuters.

Long lines for bread and other essentials were reported across the Syrian capital, as jittery residents tried to get ahead of feared shortages.

However, Syrian officials have attempted to remain upbeat, issuing threats against any possible Western military intervention in the country’s two-year-old civil war.
    ----------
    It go's on blaming Israel for all their woes. Naturally.

• Options
    Mr. Pork, I agree entirely on orators. That said, Galloway's a fantastic speaker but not someone with whom I often agree. Obviously mastery of all is the best, but I'd take a terrific thinker over a great talker (an anti-Blair, if you like) any day.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    @perdix, you are getting your Mike's mixed up here. Its MikeK who is a declared UKIP supporter.
    perdix said:

MikeL said:

I'm very surprised by the low key tone on here today.

Looks to me as if there is a realistic chance that Cameron is going to have to resign as PM within the next 24 hours.

Wishful thinking by a kipper. Won't happen.

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883
    Afternoon again all :)

Well, I've read the legal advice which doesn't tell us much we couldn't have figured out for ourselves and though it prejudges the report of the UN Inspectors, there seems a high degree of confidence, as Yokel reported early on, as to what happened and when it happened though why it happened and whether Bashar Assad personally authorised it is more open to question in my view.

In any case, as an LD, I'm broadly happy with the approach Cameron laid out this afternoon. We need to take this through the UN along the lines of a resolution demanding Syria disclose its chemical weapons stocks and that they are destroyed under UN supervision. Only if Assad fails to comply with this would military force be used.

As I said earlier, I'd like to see the use of force for the purposes of alleviating humanitarian suffering pitched more at safeguarding civilians through the use of safe corridors and protected enclaves on or near the Syrian border than strikes on airfields and Government buildings.

Libya showed that such airstrikes aren't always effective and become less so when the regime hides its assets in civilian areas as happened in Misrata

I('d also like to see a stronger emphasis on the diplomatic approach with the thought given to providing reassurances to Russia that its interests will be protected in a post-Assad Syria on the basis that I suspect no none outside Iran wants an Islamist Syria to emerge from the ashes of the Assad dictatorship.

As a starting point, today's approach is fine but clearly and rightly this will need to be revisited once the Inspectors have reported and the UN avenues have been explored..
  • Options
    Ed's point was a vitally important one. In practical terms we cannot intervene in any way in Syria without being seen to be taking sides. No matter what we say about merely wanting to prevent the use of chemical weapons, an attack on government controlled installations will be seen as an attack on the Syrian government. Thus, if we are going to do it we have to have evidence that not only satisfies us, but is also seen to be compelling by the widest possible international coalition. That is in our best interests, but it is also in the interests of the Syrian people. There is absolutely no doubt that the Iranians, for example, or Hezbollah, would love to escalate the current conflict. If we wade in without ensuring as wide a net of support as possible, without having been seen to explore all options, and however lightly we think we are doing it, we will not only create an excuse for direct targeting of British interests, but also for the Iranians and others to get more closely and directly involved in Syria itself.

Having listened to Cameron I have absolutely no doubt that he is genuine, that this is not about being Churchillian or the heir to Blair or anything like that; but I am also convinced that he has not properly thought-through the full implications of the direction we currently seem to be heading in. Miliband - pushed by his party - seems to be further along that road.

Now, we can be all party political about this and seek to score points and accuse each other of whatever, or we can accept that the one thing that the Iranians, Hezbollah and assorted others or a similar ilk are absolutely desperate for is a western intervention in Syria that can be portrayed as precipitous, partial and anti-Muslim. That way they can escalate, get more closely involved and, with luck, draw in Israel. Were that to happen, it would be a disaster not only for the Syrian people but for all of us. If taking a bit more time, keeping our options open, working closely at the UN and so on makes the task of our undoubted enemies harder, then that is what we should do.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Ming falling asleep on his feet.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    Norman Smith, BBC News Channel chief political correspondent tweets: Aides to Ed Miliband say "categorically untrue" that he earlier signalled his support for PM over strategy on #Syria
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Wonder if being there makes a big difference. Only heard the last half of Cameron and the first half of Milliband in the car on the way home, but would struggle to come to the same conclusion about the relative merits of each as Andrew Solaris does in his live blog. Miliband v stuttery and not appearing very confident, Cameron sou des like he normally does.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I've updated the thread header, Paddy Power have put up a market on

WILL LABOUR'S AMENDMENT TO THE GOVERNMENT'S MOTION FOR MILITARY INTERVENTION BE CARRIED?

No 8/11

Yes Evens

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/other-politics/uk-politics?ev_oc_grp_ids=1298095
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Damn you auto correct, Sparrow, not Solaris.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    dr_spyn said:

Norman Smith, BBC News Channel chief political correspondent tweets: Aides to Ed Miliband say "categorically untrue" that he earlier signalled his support for PM over strategy on #Syria

Miliband's statement on Syria made two days ago remains on the Labour Party website. It reads:

Ed Miliband MP, Leader of the Labour Party, speaking after meeting the Prime Minister in Downing Street, said:

“The use of chemical weapons on innocent civilians is abhorrent and cannot be ignored.

“When I saw the Prime Minister this afternoon I said to him the Labour Party would consider supporting international action but only on the basis that it was legal, that it was specifically limited to deterring the future use of chemical weapons and that any action contemplated had clear and achievable military goals.

“We will be scrutinising any action contemplated on that basis.”

Sufficiently ambiguous for Labour to argue that Miliband's current position is consistent and compatible with his earlier statement, but hardly indicative of a clear and stable policy.

The dithering continues.
  • Options
    @pppolitics: Several more bets for Labour's #Syria amendment to NOT be carried - price cut from 8/11 to 8/13 http://t.co/TJA3u9a4rv
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    Have just been out for lunch. If my chums are anything to go by this is the most foolish action by a PM since Blaiir threatened Iraq. I am now reasonably certain this will dent 'Bombers' poll leads.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited August 2013
    The late David Kelly is probably sat atop his heavenly cloud, dismayed at how little the world has moved on in 10 years yet amused at the how much the Labour MPs have changed in ten years.

The same ones who voted for a war against a man who had no WMDs and barely even had an operational army are now questioning the legality of a war against a man who has visibly gassed his own civilians to death.

Weird. Just goes to show the hypocrisy of politics.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Have just been out for lunch. If my chums are anything to go by this is the most foolish action by a PM since Blaiir threatened Iraq. I am now reasonably certain this will dent 'Bombers' poll leads.

I have just topped up on PP's Tory poll lead market...

• Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited August 2013
    Roger said:

What did your chums think of Hollande's, Obama's and Merkel's plans?
  • Options

There is absolutely no doubt that the Iranians, for example, or Hezbollah, would love to escalate the current conflict.

The entire region is hardly in any shape for yet more upheaval and bloodletting. Not much thought seems to have been given to Egypt despite the very recent slaughter of hundreds there protesting against the military coup. Egypt has chemical weapons too, it's used them before and there are also very militant factions involved in the muslim brotherhood.

Escalating tensions and cruise missile attacks do not make happy bedfellows.

• Options
    Completely OT, but RIP Cliff Morgan.

"John Pullin, England's captain, the hooker … McBride trying to get … Wilkinson … Going … Williams again … everyone with him … Sid Going … good tackle by Slattery of Ireland … almost on the half-way line … Kirkpatrick, to Williams … this is great stuff … Phil Bennett covering, chased by Alistair Scown … brilliant … oh, that's brilliant … John Williams, Bryan Williams … Pullin … John Dawes, great dummy … David, Tom David, the halfway line … brilliant by Quinnell … this is Gareth Edwards … a dramatic start … What a score!"

Brings a tear to the eye.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    I am not sure Paddypower should be taking bets on this sort of thing (going to war or not in response to a chemical weapons massacre) - If they must I hope they will donate any profit to a refugee charity
  • Options
    edited August 2013

I am not sure Paddypower should be taking bets on this sort of thing (going to war or not in response to a chemical weapons massacre) - If they must I hope they will donate any profit to a refugee charity

When I tweeted that link, I've had quite a few replies calling it sick/immoral etc
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    @SouthamObserver

But that is not his point SO. If it was his position would be that military intervention is a bad idea and he repeatedly stated that he would support it if, well it was hard to work that out.

The point you have made is a good one but it does not depend on further evidence, more setting out of the case etc. It is obvious and if you think that taking sides in a civil war is a bad idea ( I have some sympathy with that view myself, especially given the sides seem equally unattractive) then you vote no. That is not the Labour position.

Ming states that even with a fine textual analysis he cannot work out the difference between the substantive motion and the amendment. Labour's position on this is really embarrassing.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

"John Pullin, England's captain, the hooker … McBride trying to get … Wilkinson … Going … Williams again … everyone with him … Sid Going … good tackle by Slattery of Ireland … almost on the half-way line … Kirkpatrick, to Williams … this is great stuff … Phil Bennett covering, chased by Alistair Scown … brilliant … oh, that's brilliant … John Williams, Bryan Williams … Pullin … John Dawes, great dummy … David, Tom David, the halfway line … brilliant by Quinnell … this is Gareth Edwards … a dramatic start … What a score!"

BIG LIKE.

He wasn't even supposed to be commentating that day. He stepped in late in the day to replace Nigel Starmer Smith. John Bevan the winger wasn't supposed to be there either, Gerald Davies being the other notable person to pull out due to an illness that morning. What a match they missed, and how ironic that the great game became synonymous with Cliff Morgan, when he wasn't even supposed to be there.

• Options
    Via a tweet to me Thats Paddy Power for you, the Ryanair of the betting industry
  • Options
    Fenster said:

The late David Kelly is probably sat atop his heavenly cloud, dismayed at how little the world has moved on in 10 years yet amused at the how much the Labour MPs have changed in ten years.

The same ones who voted for a war against a man who had no WMDs and barely even had an operational army are now questioning the legality of a war against a man who has visibly gassed his own civilians to death.

I am sure that you are not deliberately misrepresenting the Labour position, but I think that you have got it completely wring. The issue is not primarily about legality, it is about international legitimacy and what not being seen to do everything possible before military intervention will mean for UK interests and for the Syrian people. If we wade in - or, more correctly - are seen to be wading in, we will make things much worse than they are now, both for ourselves and for the Syrians.

David Kelly, of course, did no doubt Saddam had WMDs.

• Options
    What is the difference between the Government motion and the Opposition motion?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    perdix said:

Wishful thinking by a kipper. Won't happen.

I beg your pardon?

If you were remotely familiar with my posts on here you would know that I do not support UKIP.

Don't make things up.
  • Options
    Roger said:

You should have stayed at your lunch, Roger.

All that has been served up in the Commons is Rhubarb Fool (Ed Miliband), Elderflower Jelly (Menzies Campbell), Cabinet Pudding (David Cameron) and Gypsy Tart (Glenda Jackson).

I am sure your regular Soho haunts offer better fare.

• Options
    DavidL said:

@SouthamObserver

But that is not his point SO. If it was his position would be that military intervention is a bad idea and he repeatedly stated that he would support it if, well it was hard to work that out.

The point you have made is a good one but it does not depend on further evidence, more setting out of the case etc. It is obvious and if you think that taking sides in a civil war is a bad idea ( I have some sympathy with that view myself, especially given the sides seem equally unattractive) then you vote no. That is not the Labour position.

Ming states that even with a fine textual analysis he cannot work out the difference between the substantive motion and the amendment. Labour's position on this is really embarrassing.

His position is that before you intervene militarily you have to ensure that you have made as sure as possible what you do will not have adverse conseuences for either our interests or those of the Syrian people. He argues, I think persuasively, that the government's approach does not go far enough in doing this and that the timetable he sets out is more rigorous. I fail to see what is embarrassing about that.

• Options
    Fenster said:

BIG LIKE.

He wasn't even supposed to be commentating that day. He stepped in late in the day to replace Nigel Starmer Smith. John Bevan the winger wasn't supposed to be there either, Gerald Davies being the other notable person to pull out due to an illness that morning. What a match they missed, and how ironic that the great game became synonymous with Cliff Morgan, when he wasn't even supposed to be there.

If I was doing nighthawks tonight, I would have had about 4 or 5 links to Cliff Morgan
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057

"Daniel Hannan ‏@DanHannanMEP 5h
    A friend in Ankara tells me something fascinating: apparently, many Turks signal their party affiliation by how they trim their moustaches."

Probably why my Father-in-Law is clean-shaven - the civil service has to remain impartial. ;-)
  • Options
    It does not look like Labour will get anything out of this evening: Even their Left are voting against the amendment. The Coalition-benches should carry this vote comfortably.

Maybe this is Militwunt's goal; to reclaim the pacifis,t hand-wringing vote (including seanT. As mentioned before on this thread; Ed is a shyte.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

There's a poll for the Express out, by Vision Critical, which is the Posh name for Angus Reid

Only EIGHT per cent of Britons want urgent strikes on Syria, new poll reveals

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/425446/Only-EIGHT-per-cent-of-Britons-want-urgent-strikes-on-Syria-new-poll-reveals

97% (!) of >55s opposed to military strike against Syria.

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,803

A friend in Ankara tells me something fascinating: apparently, many Turks signal their party affiliation by how they trim their moustaches."

Probably why my Father-in-Law is clean-shaven - the civil service has to remain impartial. ;-)
    I notice Labour MP Bob Ainsworth has swapped his moustache for a stubbly beard.
  • Options
    Farron sounding distinctly more sceptical than Clegg ever has up to this point in an interview just now. Also saying the vote today isn't that important. Interesting.
  • Options
    Now we're being told by those close to Cameron yet another recall vote is possible at the weekend??

Slow down speedy. The weapons inspectors have to start reporting back to the UN Secretary General first and they only plan to leave Syria on Saturday. You would think today might be a warning that rushing things isn't a good idea for Cammie.

• Options
    Yesterday on Twitter, Farron was canvassing Lib Dems for their opinions. From what I can tell, the response was pretty much against military action.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''BIG LIKE.''

Just to say, most Welshmen I know cannot stand the seventies and never want to talk about them.

Curiously, its the English who go all misty eyed and Ron Manager about the period.

It's a great compliment, but I always wonder why.

Maybe its because the Welsh players were very accessible in comparison to English counterparts. Very ordinary blokes from very ordinary backgrounds.

At the time, the England/Wales game wasn't just a nation thing. It was a class thing.
  • Options
    t'Economist:

Syria: Hit him hard

http://www.economist.com/printedition/covers/2013-08-29/ap-e-eu-la-me-na-uk

I'm starting to feel for Wee-Timmy....
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Women too? Or do they trim something else.
    Yes.

Ahem. :-)
  • Options
    @pppolitics: Overwhelming 85% of cash placed so far is on Labour #Syria amendment to NOT be carried tonight (in from 8/11 to 8/15) http://t.co/QluVP8Ruxz
  • Options
    @GuidoFawkes: According to Lib Dem Voice polling 69% of Lib Dems will back UK intervention in Syria. Suggests that LD peaceniks have gone back to Labour.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    TV news.. Prisoners in Syria being moved from prison to miltary bases..nice one Assad..
    More Popcorn
  • Options
    MBoyMBoy Posts: 104
    I presume others have already noted Labour's "Damascene conversion" on their requirements for supporting humanitarian intervention?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,867
    After about 12 hours of glee, looks like Ed's game playing is already starting to backfire...
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Andy_JS said:

I think UKIP are wrong to be against action in all circumstances.

They are not. Thats why UKIP calls for a strong defence capability, to defend Britain and it's genuine interests; of which the Syrian civil-war is clearly not.
    Define 'Britain's genuine interests'.
  • Options
    Georgeous George takes the stage.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,235
    Fenster said:

I assume the ethereal Kelly will be even more dismayed/amused by the MPs of the party that proportionally showed the strongest support for the Iraq war.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Lord Goldsmith seems to be deploying a particularly bizarre argument in the Lords:

Goldsmith says he has some "concerns" about the government's legal case.

For example, how does the government know that the chemical weapons was not the work of a rogue element in the Assad regime.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/2013/aug/29/mps-debate-syria-live-blog

The idea that Assad can hide behind some junior officer is just absurd. He's not court-martialling anyone for perpetrating the atrocity without authority, is he?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

I'm not surprised that the Syria attack is unpopular. It's inconsistent and of no benefit to anyone. If it's a punishment for misdeeds, then why ignore worse misdeeds elsewhere? It's like having a law that only applies to convenient villains.

I'm not a pacifist, but splatting only people you can, and probably aren't intending to splat us first, is playground bullying not courage.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    O/T:

"Newspoll: 9% swing in Sydney marginals

An 800-sample Newspoll survey supports an impression that Sydney alone stands to put victory beyond Labor’s reach."

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/pollbludger/2013/08/30/newspoll-9-swing-in-sydney-marginals/
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Georgeous George takes the stage.

Good Lord, maybe even Gordon Brown might show (I'm being silly now aren't I?)

• Options
    Define 'Britain's genuine interests'.

Difficult, but I fail to see how Cameron's slashing of the defence budget can be in Britain's interests, under any circumstances - in peace or war.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    There's no actual evidence it was Assad. It's all circumstantial.

e.g. a youtube clip which doesn't prove anything as
    - it might not be syria
    - it might not be rebels
    - it might not be chemical weapons
    - who's going to film themselves firing chemical weapons
    but still worth watching to see how there's no magic hi-tech reason any attack (if there was one) couldn't have come from the rebels. All they'd need is some captured shells and a guy who can read the manual to see to see where the fuses go, wait for Assad's mob to be shelling an area of the city and then lob some chemical shells in.

Result: one free US air force.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cbOZBODPU64
  • Options

Lord Goldsmith seems to be deploying a particularly bizarre argument in the Lords:

He's not court-martialling anyone for perpetrating the atrocity without authority, is he?

That would be stabbing his brother in the back, Richard.

Not even middle-eastern despots go that far.

• Options
    Syria: No 10 accuses Ed Miliband of giving succour to Assad regime

Row erupts after Labour leader moves to block early Commons vote on military action

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/29/syria-ed-miliband-succour-assad?CMP=twt_gu
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    MikeL said:

I'm very surprised by the low key tone on here today.

Looks to me as if there is a realistic chance that Cameron is going to have to resign as PM within the next 24 hours.

What odds are you offering?
  • Options
    peterbusspeterbuss Posts: 109
    DC was his usual polished self on these set piece occasions and spoke with a high degree of passion. My opinion is that there is no good option on Syria and as DC says it comes down to a question of personal judgement. For my money all the evidence anybody needs to make up their mind is basically already there and I think Ed.M's approach is pretty much stalling to put off making a decision. But others will see it differently and on this really serious and complex issue I respect their views. Ed.M sounded to me as though he was not that well and so I shall forego having a laugh at his performance.I guess all this may well turn out to be a total waste of time as by the weekend the US may have done th ejob themselves. If not then if I was DC I would be very anxious about winning any vote on Syria at the moment as the mood on his benches seems not exactly to be supportive of him. I can't see Ed ever persuading his side to vikte for a military strike.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

He's not court-martialling anyone for perpetrating the atrocity without authority, is he?

LOL

• Options
    taffys said:

''BIG LIKE.''

Just to say, most Welshmen I know cannot stand the seventies and never want to talk about them.

Curiously, its the English who go all misty eyed and Ron Manager about the period.

Maybe its because the Welsh players were very accessible in comparison to English counterparts. Very ordinary blokes from very ordinary backgrounds.

At the time, the England/Wales game wasn't just a nation thing. It was a class thing.

taffys said:

''BIG LIKE.''

Not sure about that sweeping generalisation! There is undoubtedly a strong public school element to English rugby union, but in this part of the Midlands and in the South West rugby has always been a working man's sport. There were a lot of colliery teams around Warwickshire and Leicestershire in the 60s/70s, and before, while players like David Duckham - who played for Coventry, England and the Lions - had the grammar school background many of the Welsh team did. He was not the only one.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

dr_spyn said:

Taxi for Sir George...

BBC Tom Watson: Senior conservatives saying to me that chief whip misread the mood of the party on Syria

Wouldn't be surprised. Was with a bunch of fairly Tory types last night and it was a clear 4-1 against getting involved. Which is my view too, on this occasion, as it was with the second Iraq war.

In the present case I don't quite get the nuance of "we'll stand back for two years whilst you shoot thousands but gas is different". I fail to see our strategic interest, we cannot fight the whole world just because they don't subscribe to our view of civil society, and whatever happens it seems highly likely that some factional strongman of one kind or another will eventually emerge, and he won't resemble a cuddly Scandinavian social democrat in the slightest no matter what we do.

So don't bother. Save our powder for when it really matters to us.
    Our strategic interests are:

(1) Preserving the credibility of the West's policeman - without the US the West as a whole is pretty powerless in military conflict

(2) Preserving the credibility of the international treaty against the use of chemical weapons

Those are two pretty big points.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited August 2013
    Ed Miliband is weak. He only got married because of media pressure, why on earth would anyone think he could handle difficult decisions.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

Well, I guess that, realistically, the 'send him off to a plum job running a humanitarian organization in New York' option isn't open.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

At least they're not trying to play politics over it.
  • Options
    Neil said:

At least they're not trying to play politics over it.
    Indeed, they've toned it down it since last night.

Though if they wanted to play politics they would have said that f****** c*** and a copper-bottomed s***" Miliband is giving succour to Assad

• Options
    Asked about an hour ago, but interesting that nobody could tell me what the differences are between the Government and Opposition motions.
  • Options
    'He was not the only one. '

Actually in the 70s 'Dai' Duckham was one of my favourite players.

As you say its a bit of a generalisation, but I still think rugby union right now is more relaxed and inclusive socially than it was in the 1970s or before that.

I remember being in the old east stand at Twickers in the 1980s and smiling at the tartan car rugs and thermos flasks....

When Wales scored their first points my mate and I stood up, and realised we were just about the only welshmen in the east stand.....
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Charles said:

..without the US the West as a whole is pretty powerless in military conflict..

Weak compared to who? Leaving aside nuclear arsenals for the sake of argument, wouldn't the European nations manage fairly well in a shooting war with Russia at the moment?

Certainly the expeditionary capabilities of the non-US nations are not that strong - though France and Britain retain some capacity - but again, what other countries have a comparable power to project force?
  • Options
    A couple of good tweets highlighted by the Guardian live blog:

anne mcelvoy @annemcelvoy - If both Obama and JIC evidence on Syrian gassing isn't enough for Labour, can Ed Mil tell us what might suffice?

James Forsyth @JGForsyth - To stretch the Iraq analogy, Ed Miliband is now playing the role in the Tory whipping operation that France did in the Labour one in 2003
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    @TSE

"Paul Goodman ‏@PaulGoodmanCH 2m

Miliband's speech a weasel looking for a hole to vanish into. Shifty. Embarrassed. Labour traumatised by Iraq."

Paul Goodman the TORY MP?

Are we reduced to re tweeting criticisms of Ed from TORY MPs?
  • Options

Asked about an hour ago, but interesting that nobody could tell me what the differences are between the Government and Opposition motions.

IIRC, opposition motions aren't binding on the government if they are passed, but symbolically embarrassing for the government.
  • Options
    Are the armchair warmongers mentally ill?

:)
  • Options
    Roger said:

@TSE

"Paul Goodman ‏@PaulGoodmanCH 2m

Miliband's speech a weasel looking for a hole to vanish into. Shifty. Embarrassed. Labour traumatised by Iraq."

Paul Goodman the TORY MP?

Are we reduced to re tweeting criticisms of Ed from TORY MPs?

1) He's an ex Tory MP

2) I didn't see you complaining when I posted one of his comments criticising Cameron last night
  • Options

Are the armchair warmongers mentally ill?

:)

I'm not crazy, my Mother had me tested
  • Options
    3) Roger never complains when tim posts comments by Labour MPs criticising Cameron
  • Options

I thought the difference was that the Labour amendment required Cameron to return to the House for authorisation of military force, following UN report, etc, but from words of debate sounds as though Government motion now concedes this - so not sure.
  • Options
    Oh piss off, they're talking about recalling Parliament on Saturday or Sunday.

Don't they know I've got plans for this weekend.
  • Options

One is righteous and the other heinous...

Which is which is left as an exercise for the reader.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

There you go:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201314/cmagenda/ob130829.htm
    http://www.parliament.uk/documents/news/2013/manuscript-amendment-29aug13.pdf
  • Options

Fenster said:

I am sure that you are not deliberately misrepresenting the Labour position, but I think that you have got it completely wring. The issue is not primarily about legality, it is about international legitimacy and what not being seen to do everything possible before military intervention will mean for UK interests and for the Syrian people. If we wade in - or, more correctly - are seen to be wading in, we will make things much worse than they are now, both for ourselves and for the Syrians.

David Kelly, of course, did no doubt Saddam had WMDs.

I thought there was pretty clear evidence that the reason why we couldn't find Saddam's WMDs is that a lot were smuggled over the border into Syria...
  • Options

What are your plans for the weekend?
  • Options

What are your plans for the weekend?
    1) On Saturday is Retail therapy day

2) On Sunday, going to Liverpool to see Liverpool spank Man Ure at the Cathedral of Football, Anfield
  • Options
    @MD

Government Motion

That this House:

Deplores the use of chemical weapons in Syria on 21 August 2013 by the Assad regime, which caused hundreds of deaths and thousands of injuries of Syrian civilians;

Recalls the importance of upholding the worldwide prohibition on the use of chemical weapons under international law;

Agrees that a strong humanitarian response is required from the international community and that this may, if necessary, require military action that is legal, proportionate and focused on saving lives by preventing and deterring further use of Syria’s chemical weapons;

Notes the failure of the United Nations Security Council over the last two years to take united action in response to the Syrian crisis;

Notes that the use of chemical weapons is a war crime under customary law and a crime against humanity, and that the principle of humanitarian intervention provides a sound legal basis for taking action;

Notes the wide international support for such a response, including the statement from the Arab League on 27 August which calls on the international community, represented in the United Nations Security Council, to “overcome internal disagreements and take action against those who committed this crime, for which the Syrian regime is responsible”;

Believes, in spite of the difficulties at the United Nations, that a United Nations process must be followed as far as possible to ensure the maximum legitimacy for any such action;

Therefore welcomes the work of the United Nations investigating team currently in Damascus, and, whilst noting that the team’s mandate is to confirm whether chemical weapons were used and not to apportion blame, agrees that the United Nations Secretary General should ensure a briefing to the United Nations Security Council immediately upon the completion of the team’s initial mission;

Believes that the United Nations Security Council must have the opportunity immediately to consider that briefing and that every effort should be made to secure a Security Council Resolution backing military action before any such action is taken, and notes that before any direct British involvement in such action a further vote of the House of Commons will take place; and

Notes that this Resolution relates solely to efforts to alleviate humanitarian suffering by deterring use of chemical weapons and does not sanction any action in Syria with wider objectives.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@GuidoFawkes: According to Lib Dem Voice polling 69% of Lib Dems will back UK intervention in Syria. Suggests that LD peaceniks have gone back to Labour.

But it also explains a lot about Labour's strategy if - as Mike contests - holding on to those LD defectors is the key to 2015.

If Farron comes over all sceptical and Labour supports the war...
  • Options
    @MD

Opposition Amendment

Line 1, leave out from ‘House’ to end and add

‘expresses its revulsion at the killing of hundreds of civilians in Ghutah, Syria on 21 August 2013; believes that this was a moral outrage; recalls the importance of upholding the worldwide prohibition on the use of chemical weapons; makes clear that the use of chemical weapons is a grave breach of international law; agrees with the UN Secretary General that the UN weapons inspectors must be able to report to the UN Security Council and that the Security Council must live up to its responsibilities to protect civilians; supports steps to provide humanitarian protection to the people of Syria but will only support military action involving UK forces if and when the following conditions have been met that:

(a) the UN weapons inspectors, upon the conclusion of their mission in the Eastern Ghutah, are given the necessary opportunity to make a report to the Security Council on the evidence and their findings, and confirmation by them that chemical weapons have been used in Syria;

(b) compelling evidence is produced that the Syrian regime was responsible for the use of these weapons;

(c) the UN Security Council has considered and voted on this matter in the light of the reports of the weapons inspectors and the evidence submitted;

(d) there is a clear legal basis in international law for taking collective military action to protect the Syrian people on humanitarian grounds;

(e) such action must have regard to the potential consequences in the region, and must therefore be legal, proportionate, time-limited and have precise and achievable objectives designed to deter the future use of prohibited chemical weapons in Syria; and

(f) the Prime Minister reports further to the House on the achievement of these conditions so that the House can vote on UK participation in such action, and that any such vote should relate solely to efforts to deter the use of chemical weapons and does not sanction any wider action in Syria.’.
  • Options
    Most likely explanation is a local commander took the decision. But Assad still has ultimate responsibility.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    According to Le Figaro, new meeting of the UN security council permanent members tonight.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    If Cameron wants to do things without evidence,all he needs to do is to convince his own party and coalition partners.The reason he`s opted for two votes is Cameron can`t even convince Larry,the Downing street cat let alone a majority in Parliament to vote for direct military action yet.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    1642: Russia has called Thursday's meeting of the permanent Security Council members, BBC correspondents in New York tell us.
  • Options
    Swift. Decisive.

@TelePolitics: Blog: Ed Miliband looked lightweight and out of his depth during Syria debate http://t.co/RtupQGP55D
  • Options
    I don't see why Cameron can't just accept the Opposition amendment, and force Miliband to vote with him. Can anyone explain?
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Smukesh back to the o level homework
This discussion has been closed.