Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Just one in 20 CON voters on June 8th did so because of Theres

SystemSystem Posts: 11,689
edited October 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Just one in 20 CON voters on June 8th did so because of Theresa May

A unique feature of the Conservative campaign for the June election was that the branding was completely about Theresa May and you would have been hard pressed on things like the Tory battle bus to see the word Conservative.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,973
    First :o
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Curse of the new etc, etc.

MJW said:

As a younger person, I think this is partially true, but there are a number of factors that contribute more widely to mistrust and anger towards the Tories over Brexit. Firstly, there's the obvious cultural abhorrence. There's a sense, that the Tories have actively fostered since the referendum, that Brexit is a culture war being fought by the old against the young. It's fostered by stuff like the "citizens of nowhere" stuff, but by the demeanour, arguments and language used by leading Tory Brexiteers - you've got the likes of Boris, Rees-Mogg, Davis, Redwood, and Hannan everywhere talking about nationalism in a way that's utterly alien to people who grew up in the 1990s and 2000s - and worse, dismissing contrary views as unpatriotic. For many younger metropolitan people, cultural pride in Britain isn't Our Island Story, it's Island Records, and it feels like Brexit is a certain section of the Tory Party imposing their identity while cutting off their more cosmopolitan idea of their country. A common meme joke on Twitter is just the words "Brexit Britain" with a picture of something hideously naff.

snip, snip

Lastly, it's taken away the economic stability argument for avoiding Corbyn. The Tories' best argument against a Labour government making huge promises are stability and caution - Burke's distaste for revolutions if you will. You may not appreciate stern parenting now, but will in the long run. But many younger people see Brexiteers' fanaticism and see a group of people who have decided to bet the family fortune on a trip to Monte Carlo. So, having seen that, aren't going to take any lectures on prudence or the dangers of economic extremism.

You set in train a revolution, you are always going to get a backlash, and it won't necessarily be rational.

Brilliant post.
    Seconded.

I've voted Tory since 2001 (after a dalliance with the Yellow Peril - the mindless optimism of youth :D ). I guess I was pretty much a cameroon although I never thought of it in those terms. The Tory Party is transmogrifying (or should that be transmoggrifying) into something I do not like. It is regressing into the party of the 90s, and I increasingly find myself wanting no part in it.

If an election were held now, I'd probably abstain or spoil my paper.
  • Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    If 14% who voted Tory to stop Corbyn when no one thought he would win in 2017, just imagine how many will do so next time when people think he can win.

All the ingredients are falling into place for a terrible shock for the hard Corbynista left at the 10pm exit poll in 2022
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Good afternoon, everyone.

More telling, and contemptible for the Conservatives, that the economy was also just 5%.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,811
    Yeah, that figures. Though more may have done at the time than will admit it now.
    kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

When the total reaches that number, it's quite clear that the amendments are nothing to do with improving the legislation and all to do with halting Brexit through disengenuous trench warfare.

It's contemptible.
    Or alternatively the bill is drafted so badly that it requires that number of amendments to make it coherent. Of course the number of amendments can also be related to the length of the bill.
    No reason both cannot be true, that it is very poorly drafted and people are tabling amendments to take the piss
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

This is why Jared O’Mara resigned yesterday. It’s nothing to do with decade-old stories, much more recent than that.
    https://order-order.com/2017/10/24/jared-called-ugly-bitch-8-months-ago/

That's the story we were discussing on here yesterday - I have to say I didn't realise it was this recent from what I had read.

He has of course denied it is as reported.

However, this looks a much more immediate threat to his future than inappropriate online comments. The police were involved, and he must have been asked about it at his selection meeting, surely? If so, what did he say?

The BBC and the Sun have got hold of it, and the complainant has been giving interviews. The optics are pretty bad.

I have to say, if her story is substantiated I think @rcs1000 would lose any bets against a by-election.
    He's not going to prison for being a cunt.

I could see the whip being removed, and him being expelled from the Labour Party, and him not attending the HoC.

But I can also see him sitting at home in his pyjamas, drinking a can of Tennants, and venting on various websites. All while collecting £75k p.a.
    Quite so. Guido may happily be saying 'it isn't going away' but it will , and people happily sit after having the whip withdrawn, if it even gets that far. Given the lds will hope to have a chance in a by election and Jared will vote with labour regardless, they won't want him to resign even if they do withdraw the whip.

If not for his own comments on resigning I don't think the possibility woukd have come up much.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,265
    On topic:

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Easy to forget there was evidence to back up the strong tory position, and thus why they went so heavy on the leader focus. But boy did it not work.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @iainmartin1: Those moments mid Corbynista scandal when leadership position not yet clear. And the faithful don't know what to think/say yet...
  • Options
    stevef said:

If 14% who voted Tory to stop Corbyn when no one thought he would win in 2017, just imagine how many will do so next time when people think he can win.

All the ingredients are falling into place for a terrible shock for the hard Corbynista left at the 10pm exit poll in 2022

Hubris. And there's no way it will take untill 2022.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,265
    Anorak said:

MJW said:

As a younger person, I think this is partially true, but there are a number of factors that contribute more widely to mistrust and anger towards the Tories over Brexit. Firstly, there's the obvious cultural abhorrence. There's a sense, that the Tories have actively fostered since the referendum, that Brexit is a culture war being fought by the old against the young. It's fostered by stuff like the "citizens of nowhere" stuff, but by the demeanour, arguments and language used by leading Tory Brexiteers - you've got the likes of Boris, Rees-Mogg, Davis, Redwood, and Hannan everywhere talking about nationalism in a way that's utterly alien to people who grew up in the 1990s and 2000s - and worse, dismissing contrary views as unpatriotic. For many younger metropolitan people, cultural pride in Britain isn't Our Island Story, it's Island Records, and it feels like Brexit is a certain section of the Tory Party imposing their identity while cutting off their more cosmopolitan idea of their country. A common meme joke on Twitter is just the words "Brexit Britain" with a picture of something hideously naff.

snip, snip

Lastly, it's taken away the economic stability argument for avoiding Corbyn. The Tories' best argument against a Labour government making huge promises are stability and caution - Burke's distaste for revolutions if you will. You may not appreciate stern parenting now, but will in the long run. But many younger people see Brexiteers' fanaticism and see a group of people who have decided to bet the family fortune on a trip to Monte Carlo. So, having seen that, aren't going to take any lectures on prudence or the dangers of economic extremism.

You set in train a revolution, you are always going to get a backlash, and it won't necessarily be rational.

Brilliant post.
    Seconded.

I've voted Tory since 2001 (after a dalliance with the Yellow Peril - the mindless optimism of youth :D ). I guess I was pretty much a cameroon although I never thought of it in those terms. The Tory Party is transmogrifying (or should that be transmoggrifying) into something I do not like. It is regressing into the party of the 90s, and I increasingly find myself wanting no part in it.

It is indeed a bleak prospect before us.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    "My main concern about this polling is that it was being wise after the event"

My main concern with this type of polling is that, if people as versed on polling and statistics as OGH can make the obviously false extrapolation from it that 'Just one in 20 CON voters on June 8th did so because of Theresa May', then how are the less savvy going to make sense of it?
  • Options
    stevef said:

Except the tories have gone backwards since then and will be less motivated, while Corbyn's critics now literally sing his praises. It cannot be assumed all those who voted tory to stop him last time will next time, let alone increase. It could happen, but there's a messy Brexit and a recession to get through, even a ramshackle argument for Change may appeal even more .
  • Options
    Indeed, Mr. kle4. Things remain very unclear.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@iainmartin1: Those moments mid Corbynista scandal when leadership position not yet clear. And the faithful don't know what to think/say yet...

Too busy making jam....
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,045
    Anorak said:

There's little about the current Conservative Party leadership that I like. They're either incompetent, fools, or charlatans - in the case of Boris, all three.

Yes, Labour are worse, but that's not a reason to vote for the Conservatives. And as for the Lib Dems: they're being led into a morass by a silent fossil at a time there are loads of opportunities for them.

So there seems little positive to vote for on a party basis. None of them seem to be able to see past their own narrow world-views to deal with some rather major issues that confront us.

We're f*cked. We're well and truly f*cked.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited October 2017
    More significant IMO is that "anti-Theresa May" was only cited as the reason for 4% of Labour voters - in other words, she was not a significant negative motivator for people to vote against the Tories.

That rather goes against the idea that all the Tories have to do is change leader before the next election, and all their problems will be magically solved - there was no great horde of people saying "I'd definitely be voting Conservative if only they had anyone other than May leading them". She turned out not to be the great asset to the Conservative ticket that it looked like she was at the beginning, but she wasn't a huge drag on the ticket either; she was just neutral. They will need to change to a leader who's actually good, rather than just thinking A.N.Other will automatically do the trick.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    FPT:-

"I particularly enjoyed his comment saying he won't resign, but if any Tory MP had said the same they should".

He does seem to be a bit thick.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    MTimT said:

My main concern with this type of polling is that, if people as versed on polling and statistics as OGH can make the obviously false extrapolation from it that 'Just one in 20 CON voters on June 8th did so because of Theresa May', then how are the less savvy going to make sense of it?

"...OGH can make the obviously false extrapolation from it that 'Just one in 20 CON voters on June 8th did so because of Theresa May'"

1 in 20 is 5%, as in the chart above. How is it 'obviously false'?
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, things do look poor, and they may become worse (particularly if Corbyn wins the next election). On the plus side, the Mexican Grand Prix is only a few days away. Annoyingly, it clashes with Blue Planet II, I think.

*sighs*
  • Options
    Well, it seems the honourable member for Daventry is interrupting the enemy as they're making a mistake:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41735839
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

More significant IMO is that "anti-Theresa May" was only cited as the reason for 4% of Labour voters - in other words, she was not a significant negative motivator for people to vote against the Tories.

That rather goes against the idea that all the Tories have to do is change leader before the next election, and all their problems will be magically solved - there was no great horde of people saying "I'd definitely be voting Conservative if only they had anyone other than May leading them". She turned out not to be the great asset to the Conservative ticket that it looked like she was at the beginning, but she wasn't a huge drag on the ticket either; she was just neutral. They will need to change to a leader who's actually good, rather than just thinking A.N.Other will automatically do the trick.

You honestly think she had basically no net negative effect? More likely that it was a secondary motivator.
  • Options

Anorak said:

There's little about the current Conservative Party leadership that I like. They're either incompetent, fools, or charlatans - in the case of Boris, all three.

Yes, Labour are worse, but that's not a reason to vote for the Conservatives. And as for the Lib Dems: they're being led into a morass by a silent fossil at a time there are loads of opportunities for them.

So there seems little positive to vote for on a party basis. None of them seem to be able to see past their own narrow world-views to deal with some rather major issues that confront us.

I'm not especially fond of them either, but I know that I definitely do not want to see Labour in office.
  • Options

MTimT said:

"...OGH can make the obviously false extrapolation from it that 'Just one in 20 CON voters on June 8th did so because of Theresa May'"

1 in 20 is 5%, as in the chart above. How is it 'obviously false'?
    Because people can have more than one reason why they vote the way they did. The statement is missing 'mainly' or some similar word.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    Scott_P said:

Until they know whether he’s safe or getting thrown overboard, they don’t know whether to exonerate him or condemn him - and they’re currently prepeared to do either, in the most colourful language possible.
  • Options
    Its not just a case of 'only 1 in 20 voting Tory because of May'. It is also the fact that many of us who voted Tory did so in spite of May. She was a genuine electoral liability. And for all of us who held our noses and voted Tory because of the current political situation there will be many more who decided they could not support her no matter what the consequences.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,011
    kle4 said:

stevef said:

Except the tories have gone backwards since then and will be less motivated, while Corbyn's critics now literally sing his praises. It cannot be assumed all those who voted tory to stop him last time will next time, let alone increase. It could happen, but there's a messy Brexit and a recession to get through, even a ramshackle argument for Change may appeal even more .
    The last real recession was 2007-8. We would be fortunate indeed to avoid another one before 2022 under the best of circumstances.

With our savings rate at an all time low, and the challenges of Brexit ahead of us, these are not the best of circumstances.
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, things do look poor, and they may become worse (particularly if Corbyn wins the next election). On the plus side, the Mexican Grand Prix is only a few days away. Annoyingly, it clashes with Blue Planet II, I think.

*sighs*

It'll become worse if the Conservatives win. The current leadership is utterly incompetent, and I have no confidence that they'll be able to sort out any issues, yet alone Brexit.

And you know what? Corbyn might be a man worthy of contempt, but I can see why people would vote for his borken politics and sick world view. At least he is offering a false hope, instead of this government's true hopelessness.
  • Options

Its not just a case of 'only 1 in 20 voting Tory because of May'. It is also the fact that many of us who voted Tory did so in spite of May. She was a genuine electoral liability. And for all of us who held our noses and voted Tory because of the current political situation there will be many more who decided they could not support her no matter what the consequences.

Why did only 4% of Labour voters cite voting against her as their main reason, then?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

FPT:-

"I particularly enjoyed his comment saying he won't resign, but if any Tory MP had said the same they should".

He does seem to be a bit thick.

Not exactly what he was quoted as saying, but it was the gist.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080
    rcs1000 said:

The last real recession was 2007-8. We would be fortunate indeed to avoid another one before 2022 under the best of circumstances.

With our savings rate at an all time low, and the challenges of Brexit ahead of us, these are not the best of circumstances.

If you're a Brexit counter-revolutionary, of whatever flavour, things can only get better.
  • Options

Spot on about the LD.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2017

Well, it seems the honourable member for Daventry is interrupting the enemy as they're making a mistake:

Interesting BBC choice of the big story of the day...anything Brexit is of course like catnip to them. Virtually nobody is going to hear anything about the Labour moron now.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

stevef said:

Are the 20s still available? It's worth £10 of my money if so?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Why did only 4% of Labour voters cite voting against her as their main reason, then?
    Abstention?
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Interesting BBC choice of the big story of the day...anything Brexit is of course like catnip to them. Virtually nobody is going to hear anything about the Labour moron now.
    Yep. As for the Daventry MP's story: it's either a sick thing to do, a silly thing to do, or utterly innocent, depending on his reasons for doing it. Naturally, people wanting to bash the Tories presume it is the former.

Edit:

I do think it's a little naughty to use the quote 'hit list' in the headline, when that was a quote from a union chair.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Those who did not vote for May did not necessarily vote for Labour either. Many of them may have just decided they could not bring themselves to vote for either party so stayed away.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

If you're a Brexit counter-revolutionary, of whatever flavour, things can only get better.
    Mr Glenn, I disagree with everything you say, but have to admire your indefatigablity.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

That's because you lack imagination. For some the point was there would be pain but it would be better in the long run. That may be proven wrong, but not everyone expected eternal milk and honey.
  • Options

Yep. As for the Daventry MP's story: it's either a sick thing to do, a silly thing to do, or utterly innocent, depending on his reasons for doing it. Naturally, people wanting to bash the Tories presume it is the former.
    "The Guardian revealed that Mr Heaton-Harris wrote to university vice-chancellors at the start of this month"

Interesting it has taken a month to come out.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    RobD said:

Danny565 said:

Abstention?
    What abstentions? Turnout was at a 20-year high.

(I know some people will draw attention to the small dropoff in pensioner turnout, but IMO this is just as likely to be coming from lifelong Labour voters who were appalled at Corbyn's baggage than it was to be lifelong Tory voters.)
  • Options

"The Guardian revealed that Mr Heaton-Harris wrote to university vice-chancellors at the start of this month"

Interesting it has taken a month to come out.
    On a very convenient day. Maybe Newsnight will run with it as top story...
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    edited October 2017

*sighs*

It'll become worse if the Conservatives win. The current leadership is utterly incompetent, and I have no confidence that they'll be able to sort out any issues, yet alone Brexit.

And you know what? Corbyn might be a man worthy of contempt, but I can see why people would vote for his borken politics and sick world view. At least he is offering a false hope, instead of this government's true hopelessness.
    Quite. I'd have a hard time choosing whether Boris or Corbyn would be worse as British PMs.

I'd probably prefer Corbyn, as he would be more likely to be able to keep the UK together, whereas Boris would wind up the Irish Republicans and Scottish Socialists no end.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

Abstention?
    What abstentions? Turnout was at a 20-year high.

(I know some people will draw attention to the small dropoff in pensioner turnout, but IMO this is just as likely to be coming from lifelong Labour voters who were appalled at Corbyn's baggage than it was to be lifelong Tory voters.)
    Churn? A lot of talk about first time voters in the EU ref, they might have voted Tory to see it through.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

*sighs*

Politicians who ultimately are held in the lowest regard are those that offer false hope.

Corbyn's 2017 Manifesto was not the new politics. It was a really, really egregious form of the old politics: promise what you like, you know that you will never have to deliver it.... (It was a game the LibDems played to perfection - until the voters called their bluff and put them into the Coalition in 2010. And we know how well that played out....)
  • Options
    'My main concern about this polling is that it was being wise after the event and whether the election outcome itself influenced the responses.'

Yes, there was certainly such a thing as the Cult of Theresa before she fell from grace. I recall a YouTube interview with Peter Hitchens shortly after she had assumed power. The interviewer, a young and gushing May sycophant, was astonished when Hitchens refused to join him and pronounce her as the Second Coming. All rather odd - especially over a politician who never set the world alight throughout her long and plodding career.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    I think one can add Anti-Labour+Anti-Corbyn+best of bad bunch+tactical to get to 42% of the Tories who basically dislike the alternative more than they like anything in particular about the Tories. But the figures can be misleading - I met lifelong Tories who particularly disliked Corbyn, but would probably have voted Tory if our leader had been a different JC.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

*sighs*

Quite. I'd have a hard time choosing whether Boris or Corbyn would be worse as British PMs.

I'd probably prefer Corbyn, as he would be more likely to be able to keep the UK together, whereas Boris would wind up the Irish Republicans and Scottish Socialists no end.
    I think that choice would depend on the ability of Labour's insane front bench to implement deeply ideological policies. Boris being the lead character in a Trumpesque farce is probably preferable to Corbyn taxing "the rich" at 90% and destroying value in any business not run the by the government. But I'd hope there were enough sane Labour MPs along with the opposition to avoid that.

It's why the prospect of Momemtum coordinating deselections worries me deeply.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    I wonder who has tipped off Guido about Jared O'Mara's views on Danish Pig Farming practices.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

That's because you lack imagination. For some the point was there would be pain but it would be better in the long run. That may be proven wrong, but not everyone expected eternal milk and honey.
    And you know what happens in the long run, now, don't you...
  • Options

*sighs*

Politicians who ultimately are held in the lowest regard are those that offer false hope.

Corbyn's 2017 Manifesto was not the new politics. It was a really, really egregious form of the old politics: promise what you like, you know that you will never have to deliver it.... (It was a game the LibDems played to perfection - until the voters called their bluff and put them into the Coalition in 2010. And we know how well that played out....)
    "Politicians who ultimately are held in the lowest regard are those that offer false hope."

The operative word is 'ultimately'. The politicians offering 'false hope' (and it looks as though the pro-Brexit crew might be moving to this category) often only pay for it once they've been in power and screwed things up.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Scott_P said:
    I know it was 15 years ago (and well done to the researcher who found this little goldmine of abuse and bigotry) but his behaviour in the past 12 months is now under close scrutiny and he has been found lacking in judgement (at best) and to be a really nasty piece of work (probably closest to the truth)

Nothing about his difficult upbringing or playing the disability card can get him out of it.

I am sure Mr Staines has a few more choice bits to publish soon enough. Now if one of them is shown to be after the election then things will get even tastier...
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,357

*sighs*

I'd agree with this, except it's not the most egregious example of the genre even of the past 18 months, that of course being the Leave campaign's. That's left the Tories with the most immediate problem of delivering on the impossible rather than Labour. As I think Hugo Rifkind wrote on Twitter we may see a succession of weak governments who struggle to deliver on impossible promises that don't really address our underlying economic difficulties anyway.
  • Options
    Paul Staines is clearly part of an ultra-Remain conspiracy to get Nick Clegg back into the House of Commons.
  • Options

Paul Staines is clearly part of an ultra-Remain conspiracy to get Nick Clegg back into the House of Commons.

Who wouldn't prefer Clegg over this cretin?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/guidofawkes/status/922826317674016769

When will MPs learn how Staines plays these things. He never fires all his bullets at once.
  • Options

'My main concern about this polling is that it was being wise after the event and whether the election outcome itself influenced the responses.'

Yes, there was certainly such a thing as the Cult of Theresa before she fell from grace. I recall a YouTube interview with Peter Hitchens shortly after she had assumed power. The interviewer, a young and gushing May sycophant, was astonished when Hitchens refused to join him and pronounce her as the Second Coming. All rather odd - especially over a politician who never set the world alight throughout her long and plodding career.

It was a bubble, although to be fair, I don't think that any politician would meet with Peter Hitchens' approval.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Scott_P said:

When will MPs learn how Staines plays these things. He never fires all his bullets at once.

If they were smart enough to realise that... then they would be smart enough not to say those comments in the 1st place...

• Options

It's notable that Brexit should be the single most popular reason for voting Conservative.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

If they were smart enough to realise that... then they would be smart enough not to say those comments in the 1st place...

Well quite, but you would think that Seamus Milne and co would be straight on the blower to fire fight this...oh wait Seamus Milne. Bad Al was expect at nullifying this stuff by fair means and foul.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    stevef said:

You underestimate Jezza at your peril
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Not to defend the twunt, but I am sure we all have things we said or did when we were 19 that we would prefer not to emerge now.

I am very intrigued as to how a 2002 message board was found and the links established. Quite some detective work!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Sean_F said:

It's notable that Brexit should be the single most popular reason for voting Conservative.

Not mentioned on the reasons for voting Labour at all, in yesterdays thread.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Not to defend the twunt, but I am sure we all have things we said or did when we were 19 that we would prefer not to emerge now.

I am very intrigued as to how a 2002 message board was found and the links established. Quite some detective work!
    I’m quite worried for TSE if his employer ever finds out about his bizarre taste in voting systems... :o
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/andrewsparrow/status/922831836224589824

If you only listened to the media narrative you would think Labour were 10%+ ahead and lead growing.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,215
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Until they know whether he’s safe or getting thrown overboard, they don’t know whether to exonerate him or condemn him - and they’re currently prepeared to do either, in the most colourful language possible.
    Given that the Labour party could not bring itself to do anything serious about Livingstone, who sounded like a member of the David Irving Fan Club every time he opened his mouth, why would they do anything about this offensive twit?

Oh - and I do wish people would not use the “c” word to describe such people. Unlike the real thing they have neither the warmth nor the depth.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Maybe someone who hated him, and bided their time.

It's not as bad though as the Labour councillor for my ward, Hightown, who was found to have posted messages in praise of Hitler on social media.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

True, but calling someone - with little provocation - an "ugly bitch" a few months ago is pretty awful. And illuminating as to his character.

I've said some embarrassing things in my youth (and indeed shameful, if I'm being honest), but I don't recall ever insulting a woman in such an nasty fashion.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Sean_F said:

Not mentioned on the reasons for voting Labour at all, in yesterdays thread.
    They gave up trying to work out what their policy was on Brexit.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

If you only listened to the media narrative you would think Labour were 10%+ ahead and lead growing.
    Well we all believed ICM during the GE and look how that turned out.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

The Tory poll position is looking pretty strong and stable....

Oh, my coat!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Given that he had previously stood as a Labour council candidate, they surely must have done some basic background checks over the previous 13 years (given that he first stood 2 years after these comments were made)

• Options
    And the children across the pond have woken up...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41729586
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I think they’ve since tweaked their methodology.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    It shouldn’t have taken that long for them to come out against him, FGS
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

And so the magic number roundabout continues turning...
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Yes, but we still don’t know whether that tweaked methodology is any better than the old methodology.

Generally though, I’ve stopped relying on the old political litmus tests to measure what will happen next. It’s clear that they don’t work anymore. After all none of the polling data prior to the GE implied that Corbyn would do better than Ed M....
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    He reminds me somewhat of Kerry Smith.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

True, but calling someone - with little provocation - an "ugly bitch" a few months ago is pretty awful. And illuminating as to his character.

I've said some embarrassing things in my youth (and indeed shameful, if I'm being honest), but I don't recall ever insulting a woman in such an nasty fashion.
    Indeed - and it is his most recent conduct that is at the centre of the real story here.

We are going to have to accept that our politicians will have a more easily searchable past - and they are going to have to get out ahead of anything nasty.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,215
    edited October 2017
    Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

It's not as bad though as the Labour councillor for my ward, Hightown, who was found to have posted messages in praise of Hitler on social media.
    Cherchez la femme.

Why should women put up with being called such horrible things. We are busy praising them when they speak up, eventually, about Weinstein’s gross behaviour. Why should a Labour MP (any MP) be given a free pass?

It really is not difficult to be polite.

And if you are rude, then apologise. Use the words: “I am sorry.” That’s all. None of this “If I have offended you” nonsense. Don’t make excuses or point the finger at others. And then shut up.

Most of us learn this from our mothers. And don’t find this difficult. Were these people brought up by wolves, or something?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    I just googled Kerry Smith....woah, his comments really are shocking.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2014/dec/14/ukip-kerry-smith-quits-election-candidate

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

Scott_P said:

... but you are defending him.
    I suspect that he still has those opinions.
  • Options
    Freedom of movement I could get behind:

Peters set out his proposals for a CCER in a speech in February 2016, in which he said he hoped the UK would leave the EU to “heal a rift” with NZ that occurred when the UK joined the EEC. He noted that Boris Johnson had backed a migration agreement between the UK, NZ, Australia and Canada, suggesting that a future migration agreement between these four countries could be based on the current Transtasman Travel Agreement (the agreement between Australia and NZ that allows an automatic right to live and work).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/24/new-zealand-taking-initiative-trade-brexit-britain-should-respond/
  • Options
    RobD said:

Peters set out his proposals for a CCER in a speech in February 2016, in which he said he hoped the UK would leave the EU to “heal a rift” with NZ that occurred when the UK joined the EEC. He noted that Boris Johnson had backed a migration agreement between the UK, NZ, Australia and Canada, suggesting that a future migration agreement between these four countries could be based on the current Transtasman Travel Agreement (the agreement between Australia and NZ that allows an automatic right to live and work).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/24/new-zealand-taking-initiative-trade-brexit-britain-should-respond/

Absolutely!
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2014/dec/14/ukip-kerry-smith-quits-election-candidate

Smith got re-elected as an independent to the County Council in May.

I once went canvassing with him (when we were both Conservatives). Every third word was "f*ck" "f*cking" or "c*nt". He said he looked forward to fighting a council election against the BNP because "I'm more right wing on immigration."
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

Cherchez la femme.

Why should women put up with being called such horrible things. We are busy praising them when they speak up, eventually, about Weinstein’s gross behaviour. Why should a Labour MP (any MP) be given a free pass?

And if you are rude, then apologise. Use the words: “I am sorry.” That’s all. None of this “If I have offended you” nonsense. Don’t make excuses or point the finger at others. And then shut up.

Most of us learn this from our mothers. And don’t find this difficult. Were these people brought up by wolves, or something?
    Not to mention "I take full responsibility for my actions" and then blaming other people.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

Smith got re-elected as an independent to the County Council in May.

I once went canvassing with him (when we were both Conservatives). Every third word was "f*ck" "f*cking" or "c*nt". He said he looked forward to fighting a council election against the BNP because "I'm more right wing on immigration."
    He sounds like a pretty awful person to be around.

Re this guy (who is more right wing than the BNP on immigration - WTF?) and the Labour councillor who was praising Hitler....why aren’t political parties vetting their candidates more? How are people with such views allowed to be members of mainstream political parties?
  • Options
    RobD said:

'Cos they're mostly white and speak English? That would make it better?
  • Options
    Anorak said:

RobD said:

The Union Jack in canton in their flags may be a giveaway.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

Cherchez la femme.

Indeed, although not exactly the same similar to how Cameron was able to blow off accusations of having taken illegal drugs while a student. People accept the difference between what was said/done when young and now if there is a difference, it is weasel words and equivocation that make things worse.

This could have blown over if he'd said something along the lines of "I apologise for what I said when I was young 15 years ago, it was inappropriate and offensive. I have grown up since and we all have a past and I would ask to be judged on my comments and behaviour now."

Except that relies upon the comments being historical and not modern which accusations are now coming out with.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Anorak said:

RobD said:

Much better. We voted to leave the EU to cut down on the number of immigrants who change the nature of our neighbourhoods and don't integrate and cover their faces half the time.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited October 2017
    Anorak said:

RobD said:

The fact they're our geopolitical cousins and speak English absolutely does make it better yes of course it does.

Your white comment is idiotic considering that the EU is white in the same way as Australians are so there is no racial difference whatsoever there.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

RobD said:

And they wonder why some sections of society don’t want to vote for their party.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Anorak said:

RobD said:

Much better. We voted to leave the EU to cut down on the number of immigrants who change the nature of our neighbourhoods and don't integrate and cover their faces half the time.
    Thankfully it’s a lot more expensive getting from Sydney to London than hopping across the channel.
  • Options

Anorak said:

RobD said:

The fact they're our geopolitical cousins and speak English absolutely does make it better yes of course it does.
    What geopolitical interests does the UK have in common with Australia compared with the interests we have in common with France?
  • Options

Anorak said:

RobD said:

Your white comment is idiotic considering that the EU is white in the same way as Australians are so there is no racial difference whatsoever there.
    Haha, yes.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,662
    Remember the (entirely justified) Tory accusation that Labour targets led to NHS managers gaming the system to meet them, at the expense of clinical care ?

A similar process is perhaps underway in education:
    https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/oct/24/sacked-school-headteacher-alevel-results

(FWIW, my own anecdotal experience provides some evidence of this.)
This discussion has been closed.