Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ipsos-MORI party like-dislike ratings raise doubts about t

Comments

• Options

Am I the only PBer in favour of military action in Syria?

Why are you in favour?
    People that use WMD on civilians deserve to bombed back to the stone age.

But wouldn't that risk killing more innocent people than were killed by the WMD??

Case in point:
    Halabja, 1988 - 5000 civilian deaths
    Invasion of Iraq, 2003 - far more than 5000 civilian deaths.
    Possibly.

I don't think Cameron and Obama will be as poor as Blair and Bush when it comes to planning for the post war phase.
    So its a full scale invasion and regime change you're after, then TSE.

• Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    It must be pretty miserable being a world leader at times like this.

Neither Cameron or Obama want to strike Syria. There is nothing militarily to be gained from it and it is unlikely to make the life of any Syrian civilian any better. The only upside is the winning of the diplomatic arm-wrestle against an increasingly wayward Putin.

But the alternative of doing nothing is really awful too.

What if Cameron and Obama turn their backs on it and tell the horrible truth, that in terms of the lesser of two evils, they'd prefer Assad in charge than to create a situation worse than that in Iraq. And then, through their lack of interest, Assad goes on to gas thousands or tens of thousands, or even a hundred thousand civilians.

How awful would that be?

It's a cruel, awful situation for everyone. I wouldn't want to be making the decisions on it.
  • Options

Why are you in favour?

But wouldn't that risk killing more innocent people than were killed by the WMD??

Case in point:
    Possibly.

I don't think Cameron and Obama will be as poor as Blair and Bush when it comes to planning for the post war phase.

Just regime change
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Well said. Tweeted that.

Why are you in favour?

Case in point:
  • Options
    Oh I agree with Mary Riddell

Forget predistribution and living standards. If Labour does not stand forcefully for the children denied all dreams and gassed as they slept, then it stands for nothing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/10268370/Labour-must-fight-this-war-not-the-last-one.html
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited August 2013

Why are you in favour?
    What is the goal of military action, though? Is it just aimed at stopping any more chemical attacks? Is it regime change? Where will it stop, and how far should we go?

The primary goal of military action is to assert and demonstrate the will of the international powers to take interventionary action if and when the Chemical Weapons Convention is breached.

It avoids the US "red line" bluff being called and sets precedents for intervention in the event of other nations producing, storing or using prohibited chemical weapons, or, more widely, breaching obligations under other treaties dealing with weapons of mass destruction. In particular, it has relevance for the alleged nuclear weapons programmes of North Korea and Iran.

A secondary goal is to demonstrate the will of the "western powers" to act independently of the UNSC when Russia and China use their veto powers 'unreasonably'. The tactics though may be force Russia and China into co-operation within the UNSC rather than allow the US and its allies to bypass the UN.

I doubt whether there are any firm military objectives. The demonstration of the power, will and capability to intervene is all that is needed. From the military perspective, this will be more about limiting the scope of the intervention to avoid additional civilian casualties and the perception that the western powers are seeking to take sides in the Syrian Civil War.

The best outcome of the current discussions would be for Russia to secure agreement by the Assad regime to enter immediately into negotiations for a political settlement and for the Russians and Chinese to agree to work with the US, UK and France within the UNSC to resolve the chemical weapons issue.

• Options

Why are you in favour?

Case in point:
    Possibly.

Just regime change
    But can that be done in Syria without a full scale invasion? I think Syria might be a tougher nut to crack
    than Libya.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    welshowl said:

Whilst the gassing is of course dreadful, whoever did it, I simply struggle with why we need to get involved. Syria I just don't see as being part of our strategic interests and it's clearly not a friend and ally. My instinct says stay well clear.
    Say this debate was about intervening in Rwanda in 1994 (not that there was such a debate), and we had stayed out on the basis of your instinct, and then what happened in Rwanda, happened, how good would you feel about it? There are times when you just have to say feck it, enough is enough.
  • Options

Why are you in favour?

Case in point:
    Possibly.

Just regime change
    But can that be done in Syria without a full scale invasion? I think Syria might be a tougher nut to crack
    than Libya.
    Don't know, hope so.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited August 2013

Why are you in favour?

Case in point:
    Somewhat problematic to use that as a case in point since it was done with U.S. blessing.
    RadicalMedia_ ‏@UnToldCarlisle 6h

Declassified #CIA documents reveal that 25years ago US gave Saddam Hussein blessing to use toxins against Iranians http://bit.ly/17gssSa
    Where did Saddam get those Weapons?
    Rumsfeld 'helped Iraq get chemical weapons'

US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld helped Saddam Hussein build up his arsenal of deadly chemical and biological weapons, it was revealed last night.

As an envoy from President Reagan 19 years ago, he had a secret meeting with the Iraqi dictator and arranged enormous military assistance for his war with Iran.

The CIA had already warned that Iraq was using chemical weapons almost daily. But Mr Rumsfeld, at the time a successful executive in the pharmaceutical industry, still made it possible for Saddam to buy supplies from American firms.

They included viruses such as anthrax and bubonic plague, according to the Washington Post.

The extraordinary details have come to light because thousands of State Department documents dealing with the 1980-88 Iran-Iraq war have just been declassified and released under the Freedom of Information Act.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-153210/Rumsfeld-helped-Iraq-chemical-weapons.html
    Yes, it's those loveable NeoCon scamps again.

But at least lessons were learned etc.
    ACT UMD ‏@ACT_UMD 3h

U.S. record on chemical weapons | Birth defect rate in Fallujah, Iraq higher than Hiroshima or Nagasaki after WWII http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/20/iraq-war-anniversary-birth-defects-cancer_n_2917701.html
  • Options
    Plato said:

Well said. Tweeted that.

Why are you in favour?

Case in point:
    Thanks, as you know I, hardly go on Twitter these days, I spend far too much time on here :)
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,996
    Useless fact: my grandmother, mother, father and me are all the same height.

How many people can say that, I wonder?
  • Options

Why are you in favour?

Case in point:
    Possibly.

Just regime change
    than Libya.
    Don't know, hope so.
    I'm hoping for a lottery win, pay off my mortgage,credit cards and buy the Mrs an Evoque.
    As an aside, my wife is having second thoughts about Depeche Mode in November, having heard their latest album, she calls them Depressed Mode!
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Ishmael_X said:

welshowl said:

Whilst the gassing is of course dreadful, whoever did it, I simply struggle with why we need to get involved. Syria I just don't see as being part of our strategic interests and it's clearly not a friend and ally. My instinct says stay well clear.
    Say this debate was about intervening in Rwanda in 1994 (not that there was such a debate), and we had stayed out on the basis of your instinct, and then what happened in Rwanda, happened, how good would you feel about it? There are times when you just have to say feck it, enough is enough.
    Well I'd feel bad as anyone would, but we can't fight everyone's fight can we? If Assad were ( as an example) gassing Denmarrk as a friend and neighbour I'd say bomb him into the Stone Age but he's not. Nor do we have any real interest in Syria. It's a shame, it's a crap situation but we cannot police the whole world righting its wrongs otherwise we'd be weighing in all over the place and its not practical let alone right that we do.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,584
    edited August 2013

Why are you in favour?

Case in point:
    Possibly.

Just regime change
    than Libya.
    Don't know, hope so.
    I'm hoping for a lottery win, pay off my mortgage,credit cards and buy the Mrs an Evoque.
    As an aside, my wife is having second thoughts about Depeche Mode in November, having heard their latest album, she calls them Depressed Mode!
    Depeche Mode live are amazing
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724

Plato said:

Well said. Tweeted that.

Why are you in favour?

Case in point:
    Thanks, as you know I, hardly go on Twitter these days, I spend far too much time on here :)
    Oh I love Twitter - much wittier than PB now. Several laughs a minute. A UFO nut just bitched about me tweaking her tweet as *ungrammatical* = talk about missing the point.
  • Options

Why are you in favour?

Case in point:
    Possibly.

Just regime change
    than Libya.
    Don't know, hope so.
    I know, having seen them times. She, on the other hand is a bit of a head banger. I've bought the tickets and paid for the hotel, so she's going, like it or not!

• Options

Why are you in favour?

Case in point:
    Possibly.

Just regime change
    than Libya.
    Don't know, hope so.
    Nonsense: "Should be Higher" is so uplifting! "Soothe My Soul" is classic pervy DM :)
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Seeing as it's a war-zone with shelling i'd expect the civilians cram into basements for shelter and sleep. You could create a DIY fake chemical attack simply by backing up a lorry and using the exhaust fumes. Anyone check the bodies for carbon monoxide poisoning?
  • Options

tim said:

I think you know by now that on PB any mention of Doreen Lawrence elicits an immediate Pavlovian reaction.

Does it involve saliva?

More likely dribbling and swivel-eyes. ;^ )
  • Options

Why are you in favour?

Case in point:
    Possibly.

Just regime change
    than Libya.
    Don't know, hope so.
    I know, having seen them times. She, on the other hand is a bit of a head banger. I've bought the tickets and paid for the hotel, so she's going, like it or not!

I remember recommending the hotel to you
  • Options
    Next said:

People seem be having difficulty differetiating between an air-policing action (planned for Syria, as in Libya) and an armoured-division deployment and subsequent failed occupation (c.f. Iraq). Needless to say one is unsurprised....

I think we can all differentiate. I'd suggest that sane people are scared that the former might beget the latter.

It didn't in Libya.
    One of the things about Libya is it's a lot of little tribes but all pretty much from the same ethnic group and religion. The conflict in Libya was mainly about different coalitions of tribes fighting over access to the oil money. Syria is also made up of lots of little tribes but they coalesce around their respective ethno-sectarian group so it's a lot more life or death for the losers.
  • Options
    RedRag1RedRag1 Posts: 527
    edited August 2013
    I haven't seen the PB Hodges quoting their hero recently, has the one eyed wonder fell under a bus, or has he found another subject to bore people to death?
  • Options

Why are you in favour?

Case in point:
    Possibly.

Just regime change
    than Libya.
    Don't know, hope so.
    I took this picture at the O2 in 2009:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Depeche_Mode_O2_15_12_09_wide.jpg

Unfortunately, this year I booked late and was stuck at the far side of the auditorium and my pix were rubbish!

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,006
    Good evening, everyone.

It'll be interesting to see how the debate in Parliament goes.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    I favour intervention in Syria. I feel we've reached the point you can look them int he eye and tell them why risking British lives (although at this stage, I would favour missiles) is necessary, or the risk of Syrian civilian casualties.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

Seeing as it's a war-zone with shelling i'd expect the civilians cram into basements for shelter and sleep. You could create a DIY fake chemical attack simply by backing up a lorry and using the exhaust fumes. Anyone check the bodies for carbon monoxide poisoning?

If the rebels had chemical weapons, wouldn't they be more likely to use them against the regime? After all, it wouldn't be long before some delusional conspiracy theorist would claim the regime had done it to themselves.

Occam's razor - the simplest explanation is usually the right one.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited August 2013
    @Avery

Well put Avery.

Scary though it is, this has become a cock-waving contest between the super-powers. America has made its move and is daring Russia to blink. And I think Russia probably will blink. Assad is their only solid ally in the Middle East and the Russians know America has the power to remove him very quickly, destabilising the country but robbing Russia of their ally in the process. A demonstration of willingness to act is probably a calculated move by the Americans for Russia to speak some sense to Assad, or else.
  • Options
    Very good front page from the Indy

Nick Sutton ‏@suttonnick 2m

Wednesday's Independent front page - "The heir to Blair" #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers #Syria pic.twitter.com/Xmg4BIALMs
  • Options
    So what happens if we launch a few cruise missiles and Assad still wins?

Wont that make the West look even more impotent?

So isn't it likely that once the first cruise missile is launched we're heading down the regime change path.

At least Iraq had oil and was a threat to other oil producing countries so there was some realpolitik reason for regime change there.

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    RedRag1 said:

I haven't seen the PB Hodges quoting their hero recently, has the one eyed wonder fell under a bus, or has he found another subject to bore people to death?

Classy, very classy
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261

Case in point:

What had Halabja to do with the 2003 Iraq invasion?

• Options
    Liverpool 2 - Notts County 2

With 6 mins to go
  • Options
    So we intervened in Afghanistan to remove Al Qaeda from there.

Now we're going to intervene in Syria on the same side as Al Qaeda.

How soon before we're intervening in Syria to remove the Al Qaeda bases which were established because of our intervention?
  • Options

RedRag1 said:

Classy, very classy
    Cheers!
  • Options

MrJones said:

If the rebels had chemical weapons, wouldn't they be more likely to use them against the regime? After all, it wouldn't be long before some delusional conspiracy theorist would claim the regime had done it to themselves.

Occam's razor - the simplest explanation is usually the right one.
    I wouldn't. I'd use them to try and get half a dozen US aircraft carriers on my side.

As you say the simplest explanations are the most likely
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    I never thought that I'd say this but well done to Nigel Farage for his stance against a Syrian intervention.
  • Options

Liverpool 2 - Notts County 2

With 6 mins to go

Extra time...possible pens.

• Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    RedRag1 said:

Gordon Brown hasn't fallen under a bus has he? I know he has been anonymous and essentially being paid while AWOL, but under a bus!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,072
    It's at times like this, with such decisions to be made, that I'm glad that I'm not PM. The pressure would overwhelm me.
  • Options
    saddened said:

RedRag1 said:

Gordon Brown hasn't fallen under a bus has he? I know he has been anonymous and essentially being paid while AWOL, but under a bus!
    **** Ready to post faux outrage at one eye mention ****

Classy, very classy!

PS I actually laughed at that.
  • Options
    One-eyed chaps do seem to get painted as villains. Gordon Brown, Antigonus Monopthalmus, Hannibal, the Governor in The Walking Dead...

Oh, except Nelson. That's an enormous exception.
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826

One-eyed chaps do seem to get painted as villains. Gordon Brown, Antigonus Monopthalmus, Hannibal, the Governor in The Walking Dead...

I'm not sure the French would agree.
  • Options

Teddy Roosevelt was one eyed
  • Options
    And Polyphemus (Cyclops in the Odyssey) was a villain.
  • Options
    TSE - As a long time lurker, if memory serves me right, you are an LFC fan. Mr Toure looks buggered there.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,584
    edited August 2013

The Cylons in the original series of Battlestar Galactica we're also one eyed
  • Options
    RedRag1 said:

TSE - As a long time lurker, if memory serves me right, you are an LFC fan. Mr Toure looks buggered there.

He is, in 2 and a bit matches he's become a Liverpool Legend

I might have to give up my ticket for Sunday, we're going to get spanked.

• Options
    Davros also has one functioning eye.
  • Options
    I started writing a thread on Syria at 6.30 pm, and I still haven't finished it.

#PB is taking over my life
  • Options

The Cylons in the original series of Battlestar Galactica we're also one eyed
    So were the non-human looking Cylons in the reimagineered series.
  • Options
    Who is 2007 said this?

He stated unequivocally that he will move to impeach President Bush if he bombs Iran without first gaining congressional approval.

Answer Joe Biden

http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071129/NEWS/71129018
  • Options

RedRag1 said:

If it goes to penalties, there is only one result.....it's the Liverpool way.

That doesn't matter though......Sturridge has just scored.
  • Options
    RedRag1 said:

RedRag1 said:

In our history, we've won 20 out of 22 penalty shoot outs.
  • Options
    Cameron's bacon cheeks all over the screen on the news....urgh!

Get some make up on.
  • Options
    Not seen either Battlestar Galactica series. I think I have a very fuzzy memory of the first series, but that was probably a repeat, and it's immensely vague.
  • Options

RedRag1 said:

RedRag1 said:

I'm amazed it's not more.
  • Options
    On BBC4 now, Peter and Dan Snow's 20th Century Battlefields — The Yom Kippur War:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007sfdd
  • Options
    TSEofPB ‏@TSEofPB now

My fellow Whovians, look to the right of this picture

pic.twitter.com/qvQWhWBTrO
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

RedRag1 said:

RedRag1 said:

It would be a different matter if it was Bradford and a penalty shoot out ;-)

• Options
    RedRag1 said:

Davros also has one functioning eye.

Leela in Futurama has one eye, but she's a good guy girl.
  • Options
    Is Farage saying we should wait for confirmation of who was responsible, or is he against intervention even if it can be shown that Assad's forces were reponsible?
  • Options

Case in point:

WMD was the casus belli for 2003.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

How soon before we're intervening in Syria to remove the Al Qaeda bases which were established because of our intervention?

It finishes the full circle.

We [ the CIA actually ] helped the Mujahiddin go to Afghanistan in the first place. It included a young idealist by the name of Osama Bin Laden. Of course, the Ruskies were the enemy then.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Is Farage saying we should wait for confirmation of who was responsible, or is he against intervention even if it can be shown that Assad's forces were reponsible?

Nigel Farage has warned Britain cannot go to war with Syria "on a whim," stating "horrible though it is, there is nothing the British military can do to make things better."

In a sensational interview on the state-run TV channel Russia Today, the UK Independence Party leader slammed calls for intervention over the escalating crisis, and warned Britain's "keenness" for involvement "could lead to something far bigger."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/08/27/nigel-farage-syria-war_n_3824175.html?utm_hp_ref=uk
  • Options

RedRag1 said:

RedRag1 said:

I remember those players with double barrel names in the 80's and 90's who kept scoring

Molby (pen) and Nichol (pen)

Molby scored 42 pens for Liverpool....amazing.
  • Options
    The Mackem Messi scores an awesome goal
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Sun poll

50% opposed to missiles
    74% opposed to troops
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Sun poll

50% opposed to missiles
    74% opposed to troops

Bah, that means I need to update the morning thread once again.

Do you have a link?
  • Options
    Mr. Rag, you would be wise not to judge a man by his appearance. Alexander had a twisted neck, Caesar pioneered the combover, and Hannibal (as mentioned below) only had the one eye.

On a related note: Alexander the Great's eyes were different colours.
  • Options
    Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn 7m

EXCL: Brits are against missile strikes on Syria by a big majority of 2 to 1 (50% v 25%); YouGov/Sun poll. 1st since new crisis.

and

Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn 44s

...and majority of voters for all parties also oppose Syria missile strikes; Tories 45-33%, Labour 54-26%, Lib Dems 47-27%, UKIP 68-22%.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805

RodCrosby said:

Sun poll

50% opposed to missiles
    74% opposed to troops

Do you have a link?
    '.and majority of voters for all parties also oppose Syria missile strikes; Tories 45-33%, Labour 54-26%, Lib Dems 47-27%, UKIP 68-22%.' tom newtondunn

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

Useless fact: my grandmother, mother, father and me are all the same height.

How many people can say that, I wonder?

Are they all related ?
  • Options
    Carola said:

RodCrosby said:

Sun poll

50% opposed to missiles
    74% opposed to troops

Do you have a link?
    '.and majority of voters for all parties also oppose Syria missile strikes; Tories 45-33%, Labour 54-26%, Lib Dems 47-27%, UKIP 68-22%.' tom newtondunn

Thanks
  • Options
    Tom Newton Dunn needs to learn the difference between a majority and a plurality
  • Options

Mr. Rag, you would be wise not to judge a man by his appearance. Alexander had a twisted neck, Caesar pioneered the combover, and Hannibal (as mentioned below) only had the one eye.

Not judging Hodges by his appearance, just by his repetitive articles. I am sure he will be back to his boring best soon.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    surbiton said:

It finishes the full circle.

We [ the CIA actually ] helped the Mujahiddin go to Afghanistan in the first place. It included a young idealist by the name of Osama Bin Laden. Of course, the Ruskies were the enemy then.
    You almost forgot the part not very long ago at all when the U.S. and the west rendered prisoners to Assad for him to torture. Of course that back when he was a 'good bad guy', or whatever it is they call their numerous middle east dictator 'frenemies'. (used to just be "our bastard" IIRC)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,388
    Been having a good laugh at Liverpool tonight. Excellent preparation for the weekend.

But I haven't recovered from the gloom of last night. If we play with that degree of caution on a regular basis we will be winning nothing. Moyes was a very poor choice and he already looks out of his depth.

And we still don't have an attacking midfielder worth his salt. Bah.
  • Options
    Indeed, Mr. Eagles. It's that sort of statistical ignorance which leads to political idiocy.

That said, the underlying sentiment he refers to is broadly accurate.

Mr. Rag, repetition is often a hardy plant that grows in a desert of wit.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261

Case in point:

WMD was the casus belli for 2003.
    Golly, 15 years to build up a head of moral outrage. The USA with the docile complicity of UK governments was blaming Iran for Halabja till the mid nineties (not that that got them off their lardy asses to do anything about it). Is casus belli shorthand for believing any old CIA lies when it suits?

• Options
    From tonight's Sun

Brits also still oppose enforcing a no-fly-zone by 42-33%, sending defensive weapons by 50-23%, sending full-scale weapons including tanks by 61-13%, and deploying UK troops by 74% to 9%.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I think Farage has got this right. Opposing an intervention in a mid east war tends to be vindicated very quickly. Getting involved in a mid east war tends to destroy an otherwise successful political career.

It is interesting that Clegg and Cameron both used the words Legal and Proportionate. As there is no case that an intervention is self defense then it is most likely an illegal war without a UN resolution, which surely is not going to happen.

Rather than squaring up to Russia, we should be trying to get them onside. Assad would fall quickly without Russian backing. Getting the sensible wing of the FSA to agree to continued Russian naval base may be a good start. The Russians would drop Assad if they could have continuing influence, and no British forces required...
    RodCrosby said:

Sun poll

50% opposed to missiles
    74% opposed to troops

• Options
    DavidL said:

Been having a good laugh at Liverpool tonight. Excellent preparation for the weekend.

But I haven't recovered from the gloom of last night. If we play with that degree of caution on a regular basis we will be winning nothing. Moyes was a very poor choice and he already looks out of his depth.

You're signing Fellani for 22m
  • Options
    Picking up earlier comments on the thread we studied "I have a dream" in my advocacy training. It is indeed all about repetition and rhythm. Quite brilliant but why anyone would want others to read out the words is beyond me.

It is almost as daft as recalling Parliament for a debate on bombing an arab country that has nothing to do with us. I really cannot see any upside for Cameron in this. Difficult problem, not easy to deal with but keeping the head down was the sensible option.
  • Options
    @Fenster

America has made its move and is daring Russia to blink. And I think Russia probably will blink.

Fenster

When I first visited Moscow on business in the mid 1980s, I met with the head of the representative office of one of the UK's largest banks. I was hoping for advice on doing business in a country which was very different from any I had encountered before.

'Alan' arrived late for our appointment following a very frustrating meeting with Vnesheconombank (The USSR Bank for Foreign Economic Affairs). He had been negotiating an agreement with the bank for nearly two years and had been told, no doubt for the umpteenth time, that the papers would be signed that morning. They weren't. And the reason given by his Russian counterpart was that Alan had reneged on a promise made at a previous meeting to provide Vnesheconombank with a box of a dozen liquid Tippex bottles.

But all this digresses from the main story. What Alan told me was never to take at face value any position taken by a Russian counterpart. It could change to its diametric opposite at any time and would do so often during the negotiation without any logical consistency. When I asked whether anything ever got agreed in Russia, he answered:

"Oh Yes! But never before the Russians are ready to agree. What happens is that you go into a small room for a few hours and fight. Blood is spilt all over the walls. And just when you think nothing will ever be agreed, you will be told that everything has. Then all will exit the room smiling. And the Russians will always keep to the agreement whatever conflicting positions they might have taken during the negotiation."

This was as good as any advice I got in twenty years of doing business in both communist and 'democratic' Russia. I experienced the formula many times.

So the prospects of a volte-face by the Russians on Syria are quite reasonable. When Putin decides to change every Russian official will follow in a snap. There will be a quick and hard negotiation with the US and a new position announced. And the Russians will go about their business smiling and denying that any prior contrary position had ever been taken.

Communists or not, the Russians haven't and won't change.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited August 2013
    Andy_JS said:

He's against, even then.

"My view is that what we’ve done in Afghanistan, in Iraq for many decades, whenever Brittan got involved in the Middle East, we tend to make thing worse, not better, and horrible though it is, ghastly, there are some crimes that are being committed and there is nothing the British military can do, in my view, to make things better. "

http://rt.com/op-edge/farage-syria-atack-uk-067/
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    RedRag1 said:

Get some make up on.

Guessing, you're not quite the picture of physical perfection that you seem to feel that anyone in the public eye should be. Give it a rest, it makes you look a bit of a tit.

• Options

Not seen either Battlestar Galactica series. I think I have a very fuzzy memory of the first series, but that was probably a repeat, and it's immensely vague.

The reimagineered series was much better than the first as it actually had characters and plots. AFAICR (and it was before my time) the original series was TV's reaction to Star Wars. It got particularly pants when they finally reached Earth for the final season.

As, coincidentally enough, did the reimagineered series.
  • Options
    tim said:

DavidL said:

Kagawa
    One brilliant game a year doesn't cut it I am afraid.

• Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Syria. I reported about 5pm or so today that there was a not often seen flight from Latakia Airport to Beirut airport.

Lebanese media sources report indeed that families of Syrian officials flew into Beirut and dispersed.

There are also reports a plane has turned up in Tehran with some of Assads family. No idea if he's on it.

In Damascus the rush to prepare for strikes has continued with the usual move of putting artillery in the middle of blocks of flats, many troops have eschewed armoured gear for vans.

Clearly no-one expects this thing to be stopped at the last.

• Options
    saddened said:

RedRag1 said:

Get some make up on.

Guessing, you're not quite the picture of physical perfection that you seem to feel that anyone in the public eye should be. Give it a rest, it makes you look a bit of a tit.

Now now, just commenting on his Danish complexion.....comes across as though he is all flustered.
  • Options
    Carola said:

RodCrosby said:

Sun poll

50% opposed to missiles
    74% opposed to troops

Do you have a link?

The Sandalistas more gung ho than Labour supporters. Hmmm.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    RedRag1 said:

Not judging Hodges by his appearance, just by his repetitive articles. I am sure he will be back to his boring best soon.
    Your own posts seem to be a tad on the repetitive side. You don't even cut it as a troll. Give up.

• Options
    RespiteRespite Posts: 8
    I've been in favour of military strikes against Syria since the details of the chemical weapon attacks have come out, and am pleased the US looks to be moving to this course of action.

My reasoning is quite simple: the Syrian regime has been trying to push the boundaries of what it can get away with for months now - starting off with small chemical attacks, using illegal SCUD missiles against civilian populations and building up to the most recent atrocity. Doing nothing in response to this gives Assad a free reign to carry on using chemical weapons against civilians. Sanctions and political solutions are meaningless in the middle of a long-running civil war. The only thing the West can do to deter the regime from repeating their actions are strikes that hurt, even if they do not alter the balance of the war.

It is more of a warning shot / a precedent for future regimes considering the use of chemical weapons, than anything analogous to the Iraq or Afghanistan conflicts. So, speaking a Lib Dem who opposed Iraq, I'm very much in favour of the limited military action being discussed.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    So an interesting outcome on the cards.

The end of the LibDems or the end of the Coalition?
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

RedRag1 said:

Your own posts seem to be a tad on the repetitive side. You don't even cut it as a troll. Give up.

Oh dear, the PB Hodges close rank.I am all offended.
  • Options
    Respite said:

I've been in favour of military strikes against Syria since the details of the chemical weapon attacks have come out, and am pleased the US looks to be moving to this course of action.

My reasoning is quite simple: the Syrian regime has been trying to push the boundaries of what it can get away with for months now - starting off with small chemical attacks, using illegal SCUD missiles against civilian populations and building up to the most recent atrocity. Doing nothing in response to this gives Assad a free reign to carry on using chemical weapons against civilians. Sanctions and political solutions are meaningless in the middle of a long-running civil war. The only thing the West can do to deter the regime from repeating their actions are strikes that hurt, even if they do not alter the balance of the war.

It is more of a warning shot / a precedent for future regimes considering the use of chemical weapons, than anything analogous to the Iraq or Afghanistan conflicts. So, speaking a Lib Dem who opposed Iraq, I'm very much in favour of the limited military action being discussed.

Agreed.

• Options
    RodCrosby said:

So an interesting outcome on the cards.

The end of the LibDems or the end of the Coalition?

Would the Lib Dems commit electoral suicide by ending the coalition?
  • Options
    tim said:

DavidL said:

tim said:

DavidL said:

Kagawa
    One brilliant game a year doesn't cut it I am afraid.

Two brilliant years in a much better side than United does

"Kagawa is arguably too sophisticated for the Premier League. He excelled in the Bundesliga, the best league on the continent the last three years, showcasing the kind of enviable energy and seamless passing which elevated Germany's two biggest clubs to the Champions League final this year. English football's regression, however, continues and Kagawa is a casualty of the backward-thinking, as the emphasis on a player's build rather than their ability dominates."

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/3822709
    He came with an excellent reputation and there has been the odd flash but not nearly enough. Many games he has been annoymous. Fabregas would have been a good option but that looks like it was never on and he probably used MU to get assurances of game time. Ditto Ronaldo with his new contract. Moyes has been played for a fool this summer and it is ominous.

All good things come to an end. Ask Labour re Blair.

This discussion has been closed.