Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on what Trump will be impeached for

Comments

• Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

stodge said:

So how do you explain the investment by big EC companies in manufacturing in Slovakia, Czech Republic etc? It could clearly be argued that there is a transitional phase during which these accession countries lose population, skills etc., but this is compensated over time by investment, and they gradually rise to the mean. I'm a very regular visitor to the two aforementioned countries and what I see is I see two countries on the up, going in a very different direction to the UK.

The woes of places like Cornwall and South Wales are largely down to domestic policy post war, not anything the EU did to us.

I defer to your knowledge of Slovakia and the Czech Republic and this is certainly to be welcomed. Whether we have seen the same level of investment in Romania and Bulgaria seems to be more open to question at this time.

I do agree in time (and we are seeing this already to some degree with Poles and the Baltic States) that there is a flow back to the native lands as their economies improve and the standards of living rise in response.

My point would be if this mechanism is as well known as seems to be the case, some forward thinking and planning as to the managing of the expectations of newly-joining countries would seem to be in order.

As to Cornwall and South Wales, my point was our EU membership was beneficial in sending funding for key infrastructural projects our way - I believe the dualling of the A30 in Cornwall was funded through Objective One as an example. It's that kind of investment in improving the economies of the rural and peripheral areas with which the EU should be involved supporting national Governments.

We give a bunch of money to the EU

They deduct some in administration costs and give us a small part back to widen a road in Cornwall.

Isn't there a more efficient way to do this?
    Indeed why should we have redistribution Charles? Maybe committees of volunteers could be exhorted to widen the road for free, parish by parish.

Isn't that the Big Society? Or are those days unmentionable now?
    I'm all in favour of redistribution - both on an individual level and on a regional level. One of the main aims of my cultural programme is promoting regional development.

But I'd rather London helps Cornwall directly than we send a bunch of money to Brussels who then send some of it back to Cornwall. (And I'd rather spend more in Cornwall or other parts of the UK than Bulgaria or Romania).
    Brussels does plenty of other things with the money, such as establishing the EMA for example.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,304
    Charles said:

Charles said:

stodge said:

So how do you explain the investment by big EC companies in manufacturing in Slovakia, Czech Republic etc? It could clearly be argued that there is a transitional phase during which these accession countries lose population, skills etc., but this is compensated over time by investment, and they gradually rise to the mean. I'm a very regular visitor to the two aforementioned countries and what I see is I see two countries on the up, going in a very different direction to the UK.

The woes of places like Cornwall and South Wales are largely down to domestic policy post war, not anything the EU did to us.

I defer to your knowledge of Slovakia and the Czech Republic and this is certainly to be welcomed. Whether we have seen the same level of investment in Romania and Bulgaria seems to be more open to question at this time.

I do agree in time (and we are seeing this already to some degree with Poles and the Baltic States) that there is a flow back to the native lands as their economies improve and the standards of living rise in response.

My point would be if this mechanism is as well known as seems to be the case, some forward thinking and planning as to the managing of the expectations of newly-joining countries would seem to be in order.

As to Cornwall and South Wales, my point was our EU membership was beneficial in sending funding for key infrastructural projects our way - I believe the dualling of the A30 in Cornwall was funded through Objective One as an example. It's that kind of investment in improving the economies of the rural and peripheral areas with which the EU should be involved supporting national Governments.

They deduct some in administration costs and give us a small part back to widen a road in Cornwall.

Indeed why should we have redistribution Charles? Maybe committees of volunteers could be exhorted to widen the road for free, parish by parish.

I'm all in favour of redistribution - both on an individual level and on a regional level. One of the main aims of my cultural programme is promoting regional development.

But I'd rather London helps Cornwall directly than we send a bunch of money to Brussels who then send some of it back to Cornwall. (And I'd rather spend more in Cornwall or other parts of the UK than Bulgaria or Romania).
    But history has shown, repeatedly, that London helps London. The crumbs are offered to the rest.
  • Options
    Charles said:

CD13 said:

Mr Eagles,

You are missing my point.

I strongly suspect that Dave not only did no preparation, he expressly prevented the Civil Service from, as he thought, wasting their time preparing. That is what the Civil Service would do routinely unless stopped.

Well you're wrong.

Preparation was begun but since Leave had no manifesto, nor any white paper (like the Scottish Government in the Indyref) it was hard for the civil service to wargame the precise Brexit route that would be delivered as the Vote Leave campaign contained so many contradictions and blatantly unrealistic hopes.
    Article dated 17 Jan 2016

Mr Cameron and his Chancellor George Osborne, who are leading Britain's renegotiation with the European Union ahead of a referendum within the next two years, have insisted that civil servants are not working on planning what will happen if Britons vote to leave in the European Union referendum.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12104609/Civil-servants-are-mentally-working-on-Brexit-plans-to-avoid-FOI-says-Gus-ODonnell.html

Which confirms that planning was taking place. Thanks.
  • Options

Mr. Currystar/Mr. CD13, indeed.

Mr. Eagles, I'm confused by your position. You did say, pre-vote, that you believed we should leave, but 10 years down the line after another referendum. Why would that be easier?

Depending on what May says in about a week (21st, I think) that *may* [ahem] open the door to another vote. I think it unlikely, but a plausible possibility.

There's still a total failure to look at matters of integration and defending British cultural values (such as not raping people because they're white working class children or not looking the other way because the rapists are Pakistani Muslims) which is more critical, I would argue, to the migration debate than the actual numbers involved.

We're certainly in the middle of interesting times. And they won't be ending for a while yet.

Because Brexit is a process that cannot be squeezed into a two year time frame.

Brexit should be a process and not an event.
    You want to re-join, with all the bells and whistles, if necessary.

It's actually quite hard to work out what you truly want from what you post on here, even though I have my own view.
  • Options
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, surely Lord High Flat Cap?
  • Options

When it is cashless, and the currency rates are stable, it matters very little in what nominal currency the transaction is conducted in.

OTOH the flip side of that is that if you have to keep your currency stable with someone else's bigger one, and it's cashless, there's basically zero benefit to having your own currency.
    There's the symbolic value, and also the option to part ways (if needs be) in extremis.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited September 2017

DavidL said:

currystar said:

With all the criticism again on here of the Government, I can't believe that people are now just taking for granted the extraordinary unemployment figures that this government has achieved. They are truly remarkable and they should be congratulated.

The employment figures are indeed remarkable and a very strong contrast to the mass unemployment that was tolerated in the 1980s as the economy was reformed. But there are a number of problems.

Firstly, why is this strong growth in employment not being reflected in growth in GDP? The implication is that productivity is flat to falling backwards. This tends to suggest that much of the employment growth is at the bottom end of the skills and wages arc. This in turn is driving down average pay since the proportion of our workforce on low skills at or just above minimum wage is increasing.

Much of this employment is subsidised by in work benefits. There are good social reasons for this but this is also why significant falls in unemployment have not really helped with deficit reduction. The subsidy means demand is expanded beyond the value of the output. This is a major cause of our trade deficit.

Ultimately there has to be a concern that this is not sustainable. We need to produce enough value to pay our bills individually, in the public finances and as a country. And we aren't. We need to focus enough of our efforts on higher value jobs with higher pay. At the moment we are excessively focussing on the low skill, low paid.

UK companies have become hooked on cheap labour
    I think you're putting the cart before the horse. Companies will use what resources are available to them. Why is the cheap labour available - and no its not all immigration.

Years of restrictions and austerity for those on the dole have made work pay better than not working, for the first time in years for many. So they're now taking up jobs. These are unskilled people who would otherwise be on the dole, they're not ready for high skilled jobs.

But I believe in a work ethic and years of working could see some of these people develop their skills and progress. Plus the children of these families now see parents who work rather than sit on the dole.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, I'm confused by your position. You did say, pre-vote, that you believed we should leave, but 10 years down the line after another referendum. Why would that be easier?

Depending on what May says in about a week (21st, I think) that *may* [ahem] open the door to another vote. I think it unlikely, but a plausible possibility.

There's still a total failure to look at matters of integration and defending British cultural values (such as not raping people because they're white working class children or not looking the other way because the rapists are Pakistani Muslims) which is more critical, I would argue, to the migration debate than the actual numbers involved.

We're certainly in the middle of interesting times. And they won't be ending for a while yet.

It's actually quite hard to work out what you truly want from what you post on here, even though I have my own view.
    I don't want to rejoin the EU if it means adopting the Euro, The EU Army, and Schengen.

My fear is that if Brexit is a long term disaster then the country may vote to rejoin the EU even if it means adopting all of those.

That's what Brexit needs to be success. I fear whilst David Davis, Liam Fox, Boris Johnson, and Theresa May are running the Brexit show, Brexit looks like being a disaster.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Yes, me too. But there never was much doubt that the departure of the UK from the EU would result in an acceleration of the project. We have been a brake on that project since at least 1992, constantly looking to limit and opt out of the various developments. Given the decision to proceed with the Euro without any regard to the underlying economic reality such an acceleration is both necessary and welcome. Those EU countries who are not in the Euro have some difficult choices to face.

The real question is whether the EU would have proceeded down this road anyway had we remained members. I think it is clear that it would, just more slowly and in more complicated ways. Building a consensus for such a future for the UK is something those committed to the EU never even attempted. Instead they lied about what the effect of treaties was, what the extent of EU influence was (now painfully exposed by the Repeal Bill) and when we would ever get a say. The accusations of lies directed towards the leave campaign are really quite funny. If those in favour of the EU had not lied and lied leave would never have had a chance.

Yep, which is why re-joining is pretty unlikely.

But, I'm unwilling to rule anything out given the events of the last few years.
  • Options

I thought TSE had said he does not want to rejoin, but thinks that we will.

I think he wants to be controversial, that's all.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, surely Lord High Flat Cap?

I don't wear a flat cap.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Ishmael_Z said:

currystar said:

With all the criticism again on here of the Government, I can't believe that people are now just taking for granted the extraordinary unemployment figures that this government has achieved. They are truly remarkable and they should be congratulated.

I just wish they would move publication day from Wednesday, it gives the PM a rather lame free hit once a month ("I am surprised he doesn't welcome his morning's employment figures rather than asking questions about..")
    Told you so.
  • Options

I am also strongly in favour of moving to qualified majority voting for decisions on the common consolidated corporate tax base, on VAT, on fair taxes for the digital industry and on the financial transaction tax. Europe has to be able to act quicker and more decisively

Today, the Commission is proposing new rules on the financing of political parties and foundations. We should not be filling the coffers of anti-European extremists. We should be giving European parties the means to better organise themselves..
    Basically, we will fix the rules so we give no money to those who disagree with us.

#EUdemocracy
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,658
    Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

I can see Jezza as PM.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

I can see Jezza as PM.

I can't
  • Options
    Tezza finishing strongly to the last two questions, mind.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited September 2017
    tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

currystar said:

The employment figures are indeed remarkable and a very strong contrast to the mass unemployment that was tolerated in the 1980s as the economy was reformed. But there are a number of problems.

Firstly, why is this strong growth in employment not being reflected in growth in GDP? The implication is that productivity is flat to falling backwards. This tends to suggest that much of the employment growth is at the bottom end of the skills and wages arc. This in turn is driving down average pay since the proportion of our workforce on low skills at or just above minimum wage is increasing.

Much of this employment is subsidised by in work benefits. There are good social reasons for this but this is also why significant falls in unemployment have not really helped with deficit reduction. The subsidy means demand is expanded beyond the value of the output. This is a major cause of our trade deficit.

Ultimately there has to be a concern that this is not sustainable. We need to produce enough value to pay our bills individually, in the public finances and as a country. And we aren't. We need to focus enough of our efforts on higher value jobs with higher pay. At the moment we are excessively focussing on the low skill, low paid.

UK companies have become hooked on cheap labour
    And cheap money.
    It's right across the western world. The middle class is disappearing.

A huge chunk of those entering the workforce now have a really sh*t future ahead of them.

They're facing ad-hoc employment on the wrong end of an app, renting a room in a shared house for life.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2089049/?ref_=ttep_ep2

The capital that has flooded the world isn't trickling down, it's investing itself trying to generate a return.

That's a disaster for those without capital - ie, the young and the poor.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,964

I am also strongly in favour of moving to qualified majority voting for decisions on the common consolidated corporate tax base, on VAT, on fair taxes for the digital industry and on the financial transaction tax. Europe has to be able to act quicker and more decisively

Today, the Commission is proposing new rules on the financing of political parties and foundations. We should not be filling the coffers of anti-European extremists. We should be giving European parties the means to better organise themselves..
    Basically, we will fix the rules so we give no money to those who disagree with us.

#EUdemocracy
    QMV will screw Ireland on tax, France and Germany are gunning for them

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,441
    TOPPING said:

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

I can see Jezza as PM.

He is leader of the opposition and got 40% of the vote so of course he can be PM that does not mean he will be or that if he is he will be anything other than an awful PM
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

I can see Jezza as PM.

Why are you posting this? Now?

It was Alastair Meeks who nearly gave me a heart attack on 8th June, with his "I think Corbyn should now be favourite to be PM" post.
  • Options

I don't want to rejoin the EU if it means adopting the Euro, The EU Army, and Schengen.

My fear is that if Brexit is a long term disaster then the country may vote to rejoin the EU even if it means adopting all of those.

That's what Brexit needs to be success. I fear whilst David Davis, Liam Fox, Boris Johnson, and Theresa May are running the Brexit show, Brexit looks like being a disaster.
    The answer would be EFTA. But the snag is it now includes full free movement, with an emergency brake only.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,941

1) You Leavers said the Brexit deal would be the easiest in human history, as Deutsche car makers would force Frau Merkel to give us a good deal.

... because Brexiteers are best placed to understand the motivations of German car manufacturers!
  • Options

Ultimately that's what staying in means too

Europoliticos have been very open in saying so for decades

Only british politicians have lied to their electorates in pretending that's not what is going to happen
  • Options
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Mr Eagles,

Dave didn't want the CS working on plans for Brexit because it might give it credibility once they leaked (as they were bound to do).

So who do we blame for not being ready when the country voted 'No, thanks'. Who then disappeared like the amateur he was?

Sorry, I was going to leave it there.

PS I'll vote for you as dictator of Yorkshire. They deserve you.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,207
    TOPPING said:

Thought both were v poor TBH. Rambling, unconnected questions. Bland nonanswers. The contrast between Dave v Blair is staggering.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

1) You Leavers said the Brexit deal would be the easiest in human history, as Deutsche car makers would force Frau Merkel to give us a good deal.

... because Brexiteers are best placed to understand the motivations of German car manufacturers!
    german carmakers are currently looking a bit fked

they need all the help they can get
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:
    But the colour scheme looks a bit UKIP.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

TOPPING said:

Thought both were v poor TBH. Rambling, unconnected questions. Bland nonanswers. The contrast between Dave v Blair is staggering.
    I would agree with that
  • Options
    F1: Bottas will drive for Mercedes next year. Not surprising, really.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula-one/41255147
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

TOPPING said:

Jezza in his vampire squid dark blue suit plus he was hammering on about the few vs the many as he ought.

@Casino_Royale have a look at PMQs
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,089

TOPPING said:

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

I can see Jezza as PM.

It was Alastair Meeks who nearly gave me a heart attack on 8th June, with his "I think Corbyn should now be favourite to be PM" post.

TOPPING said:

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

I can see Jezza as PM.

Disappointing as the result was, there was never any point during the night at which I thought that Labour would win sufficient seats to form a government.

There were some shockers, like seeing Southgate, Kensington, and Canterbury go, or the majority in Putney slashed to 1,500, as well as the rumour that Shipley had gone, but it was clear from an early stage that there would be enough good results from Scotland and the Midlands, and enough holds in Conservative marginals, to return a Conservative government.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,014
    edited September 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:
    Well it confirms my status as a member of the metropolitan liberal elite.

https://twitter.com/HarryHayfield/status/907930990441631745
  • Options

May has just said she wants a deal for farmers that is 'as tariff free as possible'.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,441

The answer would be EFTA. But the snag is it now includes full free movement, with an emergency brake only.
    Most likely we will leave both the EU and EEA for 10 years to control free movement, then in a decade or so and particularly if we have a moderate Labour PM like Chuka Umunna we may rejoin the ERA and EFTA. I can't see us ever rejoining the EU now, it is more likely Sweden and Denmark and maybe Hungary, Poland and the Czech Republic leave the EU and join EFTA than the UK joins the EU
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,038
    Is PMQ's ever going to end? :open_mouth:
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

So is Harry Hayfield, he must mean sheaves of wheat which means great armfuls of the stuff. Those are ears of wheat.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Is PMQ's ever going to end? :open_mouth:

Bercow is just getting silly over extending it to 45+ minutes each week
  • Options

I might even have supported Brexit if as part of the deal, we had been offered:

Root and branch reform of the Lords
    Electoral Reform for the HoC, to a system based on PR
    A written constitution
    A bill of rights
    Local Government Reform to enable proper regional democracy.

That might have offered a degree of compensation for the benefits being lost. But the Tories would never offer any of that. They're too wedded to English Antediluvianism.
  • Options
    Dr Vince!!!!!!! :D
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

So is Harry Hayfield, he must mean sheaves of wheat which means great armfuls of the stuff. Those are ears of wheat.
    Farmers will need all the support they can get after 2019.
  • Options

May has just said she wants a deal for farmers that is 'as tariff free as possible'.
    Yeh, yeh, pass me the cake...
  • Options
    Vince savaged by a dead sheep there.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    "Revenge is a dish best served cold in the Potteries, where a Hungarian immigrant has taken over the UKIP HQ used by Paul Nuttall in his gaffe-prone by-election campaign and turned it into an ice-cream parlour.

Of course, had UKIP opened their own ices shop it would only have served vanilla and toppings would have been banned, to prevent hundreds and thousands swarming in"

from https://twitter.com/TheNewEuropean/status/907671417210142722

The BoJo story is good too. Both feet in his mouth.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

I can see Jezza as PM.

TOPPING said:

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

I can see Jezza as PM.

Disappointing as the result was, there was never any point during the night at which I thought that Labour would win sufficient seats to form a government.

There were some shockers, like seeing Southgate, Kensington, and Canterbury go, or the majority in Putney slashed to 1,500, as well as the rumour that Shipley had gone, but it was clear from an early stage that there would be enough good results from Scotland and the Midlands, and enough holds in Conservative marginals, to return a Conservative government.
    I'm pleased for you.

I shat myself.
  • Options

May's utterances are meaningless drivel most of the time. PMQ's is part of the problem, no more than a weekly pissing contest.
  • Options

Reading what Juncker says, I think that 'EUSSR' starts being the correct term for their project.

Incredible. Glad we are leaving.

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,989

I might even have supported Brexit if as part of the deal, we had been offered:

Root and branch reform of the Lords
    Electoral Reform for the HoC, to a system based on PR
    A written constitution
    A bill of rights
    Local Government Reform to enable proper regional democracy.

That might have offered a degree of compensation for the benefits being lost. But the Tories would never offer any of that. They're too wedded to English Antediluvianism.

Wouldn't argue with any of that, my friend.

The problem is if the status quo works to your advantage, why would you want to change it ?

This bigger debate about what kind of Britain, politically, socially, culturally and economically we want to have post-EU membership and in particular our relationship with the rest of the world, could have been had after 23/6/16 but the referendum losers were too busy complaining and the referendum winners were too busy gloating.

We lost the thick end of a year in recrimination and rancour and then topped it off by a waste of an election which has basically got us nowhere slowly. Now, we have 18 months to try and organise our future and the Government don't want us to think about it but simply to trust them.

I don't trust them.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Charles said:

stodge said:

But history has shown, repeatedly, that London helps London. The crumbs are offered to the rest.
    Which is one of the reasons why people voted to leave.
  • Options

Charles said:

CD13 said:

Mr Eagles,

You are missing my point.

I strongly suspect that Dave not only did no preparation, he expressly prevented the Civil Service from, as he thought, wasting their time preparing. That is what the Civil Service would do routinely unless stopped.

Well you're wrong.

Preparation was begun but since Leave had no manifesto, nor any white paper (like the Scottish Government in the Indyref) it was hard for the civil service to wargame the precise Brexit route that would be delivered as the Vote Leave campaign contained so many contradictions and blatantly unrealistic hopes.
    Article dated 17 Jan 2016

Mr Cameron and his Chancellor George Osborne, who are leading Britain's renegotiation with the European Union ahead of a referendum within the next two years, have insisted that civil servants are not working on planning what will happen if Britons vote to leave in the European Union referendum.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12104609/Civil-servants-are-mentally-working-on-Brexit-plans-to-avoid-FOI-says-Gus-ODonnell.html

Which confirms that planning was taking place. Thanks.
    The Chancellor/PM say "not working on planning". Gus O'Donnell says they are.

All three have a track record of being lying toerags.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

TOPPING said:

Jezza in his vampire squid dark blue suit plus he was hammering on about the few vs the many as he ought.

@Casino_Royale have a look at PMQs
    Interesting you should mention his suit. I am only listening so cannot see it, but both commentators on the radio mentioned how good it looked. Maybe a different impression was given a la Nixon v Kennedy.
  • Options

#EUdemocracy
    Tax is the more interesting point.

Ireland is at risk.

edit: @Alanbrooke got there first.
  • Options

Reading what Juncker says, I think that 'EUSSR' starts being the correct term for their project.

"More democracy means more efficiency. Europe would function better if we were to merge the Presidents of the European Commission and the European Council."

How many more efficiency gains from that to "having 27 different constitutions, parliamentary systems and sets of laws is inefficient"?
  • Options
    Just reported on WATO that DUP rumoured to be voting with Labour re tuition fees. Fascinating if true.
  • Options

The USSR fought against Nazis, so by your logic Brexiteers are Nazis?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,533

Ultimately that's what staying in means too...
    The question is somewhat moot, given we're leaving, but I think you're wrong.
    It's certainly far more likely the European idealists will get their united states of Europe without us than had we stayed in. We have tipped the balance of power in their favour.
  • Options

We make it far more likely by leaving.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,120
    edited September 2017

Actually the USSR fought on the same side as the Nazis for almost two years and would happily have continued to do so if Hitler hadn't attacked them in 1941. So your logic is, as usual, let down by your ignorance.
  • Options

That's (a) non sequitur of the day, and (b) your logic not mine.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    dixiedean said:

Just reported on WATO that DUP rumoured to be voting with Labour re tuition fees. Fascinating if true.

That was quick!

Did the DUP get the money up front?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

It's certainly far more likely the European idealists will get their united states of Europe without us than had we stayed in. We have tipped the balance of power in their favour.
    The idea we could ever have prevented it was always an illusion. Our membership of the EEC/EU was always characterised by Ever Closer Union no matter how much we might have objected at times.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

It was always a certainty. You dont get more likely than that.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

In your opinion.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

In your opinion.
    Nope. It was written into the Treaties.
  • Options
    Pong said:

dixiedean said:

That was quick!

They only agreed to support on (I think) supply, confidence and Brexit.

I'm intrigued that tuition fees are not deemed to be supply, but that may be a technical matter.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Pong said:

dixiedean said:

That was quick!

Ahh, I missed this;

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/sep/11/tory-dup-1bn-payment-needs-parliaments-approval-after-gina-miller-challenge

Looks like a DUP warning shot. They wantz their moneyz.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

The idea we could ever have prevented it was always an illusion. Our membership of the EEC/EU was always characterised by Ever Closer Union no matter how much we might have objected at times.
    Dave's deal specifically opted us out of the 'ever closer union' element. It was the ultimate cake-and-eat-it settlement. Sadly, the Leavers were too busy heaping derision upon it whilst being totally bereft of their own alternative. What an opportunity missed!
  • Options
    Pong said:

Pong said:

dixiedean said:

That was quick!

Ahh, I missed this;

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/sep/11/tory-dup-1bn-payment-needs-parliaments-approval-after-gina-miller-challenge

Looks like a DUP warning shot. They wantz their moneyz.
    That's a weird and stupid article.

At no point has the government made clear that the sun will rise in the East tomorrow. But it will (probably).

Of course additional funding for Northern Ireland requires parliamentary approval - it will be included in the budget plans as normal.

This is just the DUP sticking up for their voters.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,921

But you are so wrong. The EU promotes values of liberal democracy, personal liberty and the rule of law, all of which were anathema to the USSR and somewhat si to its successor state. You can reasonably decide the EU is not for us without grossly misrepresenting it.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

You can reasonably decide the EU is not for us without grossly misrepresenting it.

Not if the gross misinterpretation is what the idea that it's not for us depends on.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Nigelb said:

It was increasingly apparent that that's the way the EU glitterati wanted (if sincerely and not maliciously I accept) and though we could've slowed it substantially for sure, nothing was ultimately going to halt the "Project", certainly nothing as trivial as if people actually wanted it or not.

The EU can be as flexible as it likes as long as that flexibility leads, however meanderingly, towards ever closer union. Greece and its basket case figures to get in the Euro - no problem (or for that matter Italy and Belgium whose debt to GDP's were way over the odds), voted against the Constitution - no problem we'll rename it and you can vote again. Voted against some treaty or other Ireland/Denmark - no problem have another go.

Want a fig leaf emergency brake on FOM UK - not possible, wrong direction. The sky will fall, the slaughter of the first born will follow and the four horsemen of the apocalypse will ride over the horizon towards us.

Most British people, probably the vast majority were happy enough with the trading bit of the EU, but far more wary in degrees of the politics. Eventually the price of the politics rose and became more visible and we voted to leave. We faced a choice we should've faced years ago, but might still have been delayed by more years had circumstance not forced the vote.

Consent. Consent. Consent. As they gave away rebates, and vetos, and extended QMV our politicians of all stripes did not expressly seek our consent. They failed us, and so we were left with only the nuclear option.

Any who opposed a referendum on Lisbon wished we'd had one now?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

But you are so wrong. The EU promotes values of liberal democracy, personal liberty and the rule of law, all of which were anathema to the USSR and somewhat si to its successor state. You can reasonably decide the EU is not for us without grossly misrepresenting it.
    (E)USSR

Punishes people who want to leave ✔

Central planning with limited democratic oversight ✔

Non-supporting political opinions shut out ✔

• Options
    AllanAllan Posts: 262

#EUdemocracy
    Yes it will and add in the extra contributions Ireland will be paying and eventually the penny will drop in Ireland that the EU is a place that they should not be part of. Probably take more than 5 years as the media and main parties are so pro-EU.
  • Options

#EUdemocracy

Wouldn't a move to QMV on tax require unanimous agreement for a new Treaty?

Wouldn't the Irish need a referendum on a new Treaty?

I would think and expect the Irish government would veto any moves to QMV while they still can - and if not that the Irish voters would. What happens when the Irish for the third time reject a referendum and possibly say "this time we mean it"?
  • Options
    George Osborne wants Theresa May "chopped up in bags in his freezer"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4879808/Osborne-s-chopped-freezer-jibe-May.html?ito=social-twitter_dailymailUK

#psychopath
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,989

(E)USSR

Also the UK.

Weren't a lot of people in favour of "punishing" Scotland if they had voted for independence ?

We still have a lot of centralised planning with too much power in Westminster and Whitehall.

Yes, to a point. Try arguing for higher taxes and increased welfare spending and see how far you get.

• Options
    edited September 2017

#EUdemocracy

I would think and expect the Irish government would veto any moves to QMV while they still can - and if not that the Irish voters would. What happens when the Irish for the third time reject a referendum and possibly say "this time we mean it"?
    The Irish are in a bind. For all the "we're in the EU's corner" etc etc, which is perfectly true, the increasing frequency with which Varadkar and the foreign minister (Coveney?) are pushing the UK staying in the customs union, indicates that they are really worried that any other option is not going to end well for them.

That said, given Ireland is only about 1% of what's left of the EU when we leave, I'm sure the ever generous German tax payer will be (indirectly) asked to bung them enough to keep them sweet as "special transitional Brexit funding". Probably come at the price of 12% corporation tax rising sharply though.
  • Options
    stodge said:

(E)USSR

Also the UK.

Weren't a lot of people in favour of "punishing" Scotland if they had voted for independence ?

We still have a lot of centralised planning with too much power in Westminster and Whitehall.

Yes, to a point. Try arguing for higher taxes and increased welfare spending and see how far you get.

No, Scotland wasn't punished. The SNP MPs aren't getting their allowances or funding cut because they want to leave the UK.

We have full democratic control over Westminster, we don't over the EU.

You can get to being Leader of the Opposition and one of the favourites to become PM.
  • Options

Dave's deal specifically opted us out of the 'ever closer union' element. It was the ultimate cake-and-eat-it settlement. Sadly, the Leavers were too busy heaping derision upon it whilst being totally bereft of their own alternative. What an opportunity missed!

It makes no difference. It would not have stopped the move towards unification as that us the basis of the treaties that form the EU. It would simply have meant we would have been put in an j increasingly untenable position until we were forced out or forced to accept unification. The status quo was not and never will be an option.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

#EUdemocracy

The Irish are in a bind. For all the "we're in the EU's corner" etc etc, which is perfectly true, the increasing frequency with which Varadkar and the foreign minister (Coveney?) are pushing the UK staying in the customs union, indicates that they are really worried that any other option is not going to end well for them.

That said, given Ireland is only about 1% of what's left of the EU when we leave, I'm sure the ever generous German tax payer will be (indirectly) asked to bung them enough to keep them sweet as "special transitional Brexit funding". Probably come at the price of 12% corporation tax rising sharply though.
    Agreeing to corporation tax rising sharply would be selling their soul. Would be a terrible decision.
  • Options
    @alexkealy: The year is 2046

Crossrail 9 is announced, cutting London journey times by 2%.

News of its commission reaches The North by horse and cart.
  • Options

#EUdemocracy

Ireland will have about the same weight as the Hamburg metro area in any new set up. It better like it because it's going to have to get used to it.
  • Options
    Had Juncker been on the sauce when he gave this speech? Looks a bit like it...
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Don't - you'll tip him over the edge again.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Nigelb said:

It was increasingly apparent that that's the way the EU glitterati wanted (if sincerely and not maliciously I accept) and though we could've slowed it substantially for sure, nothing was ultimately going to halt the "Project", certainly nothing as trivial as if people actually wanted it or not.

The EU can be as flexible as it likes as long as that flexibility leads, however meanderingly, towards ever closer union. Greece and its basket case figures to get in the Euro - no problem (or for that matter Italy and Belgium whose debt to GDP's were way over the odds), voted against the Constitution - no problem we'll rename it and you can vote again. Voted against some treaty or other Ireland/Denmark - no problem have another go.

Want a fig leaf emergency brake on FOM UK - not possible, wrong direction. The sky will fall, the slaughter of the first born will follow and the four horsemen of the apocalypse will ride over the horizon towards us.

Most British people, probably the vast majority were happy enough with the trading bit of the EU, but far more wary in degrees of the politics. Eventually the price of the politics rose and became more visible and we voted to leave. We faced a choice we should've faced years ago, but might still have been delayed by more years had circumstance not forced the vote.

Consent. Consent. Consent. As they gave away rebates, and vetos, and extended QMV our politicians of all stripes did not expressly seek our consent. They failed us, and so we were left with only the nuclear option.

Any who opposed a referendum on Lisbon wished we'd had one now?
    Top post.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,272
    stodge said:

(E)USSR

Also the UK.

I definitely was not in favour of punishing Scotland. Others on here will know more about this than I do, but as an example I couldn't work out how Scotland could take its share of the national debt.

I guess we could have stopped paying pensions, but presumably, anyone born before independence would have had the right to move to rUK and claim their state pension.
  • Options
    AllanAllan Posts: 262

Had Juncker been on the sauce when he gave this speech? Looks a bit like it...

Lux courage?
  • Options

welshowl said:

#EUdemocracy

Agreeing to corporation tax rising sharply would be selling their soul. Would be a terrible decision.
    I agree, but that's the decision coming down the track at them in the next few years.
  • Options

so without Davis, Fox, Boris etc then it could indeed be a great success? That's what your implying. But judging from your previous posts I don't think you mean that ...
  • Options

Only if HS2 is scrapped ;)
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I suspect that like Juncker you have succumbed to the sauce early today.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

welshowl said:

#EUdemocracy

I agree, but that's the decision coming down the track at them in the next few years.
    Only if they agree to it. They didn't agree to it when they were bankrupt in the financial crisis, I don't see why they'd be dumb enough to agree to it now.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Hague said "save the Pound" and lost.
    Cameron said "we'll never join the Euro" and lost.

The lesson is that saying bad things about the Euro is electoral poison in this country.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

#EUdemocracy

Ireland will have about the same weight as the Hamburg metro area in any new set up. It better like it because it's going to have to get used to it.
    Hamburg metro area possess a veto?
  • Options

Only if HS2 is scrapped ;)

By the time all the budgets go awry, it will be called HorSe2 and that will be that.

• Options

so without Davis, Fox, Boris etc then it could indeed be a great success? That's what your implying. But judging from your previous posts I don't think you mean that ...
    Yes a success without those and a lengthy transitional period to get it all sorted out.
  • Options
    stodge said:

(E)USSR

Also the UK.

I don't know but I would hope not. The best thing for the UK to do after a vote for Scottish independence would be to do everything in our power to make it a success even at some short term marginal cost to ourselves. In the long run it would be far better for us to have a prosperous successful neighbour sharing our island.
This discussion has been closed.