Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Margeret Thatcher (1925 – 2013) – Britain’s first woman PM

Comments

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    I see that the No.1 BBC story is Mrs Thatcher's death. Amusingly enough the No.5 story is "UK retailers ration baby milk".
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

At last

Is that you Ed?? wearing the T shirt???
  • Options
    grahambc1grahambc1 Posts: 26
    dr_spyn said:

Latin American military dictatorships except for Pinochet didn't last very long after The Falklands War. Military Rule in Chile lasted until 1990. Thatcher hastened the reintroduction of democratic regimes in South America.

How????!!!!!!
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

I hate to say it, but a state funeral will be just a huge target for a lot of people.

Perhaps it would be fitting, in some ways. I also suspect that if it is the subject of protests, she'd come out on top, one last time.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    RIP to the Great Lady - Our last genuinely good Prime Minister.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Si monumentum requiris, circumspice.

We are all still living in Margaret Thatcher's Britain. Ed Miliband is the first mainstream party leader since Neil Kinnock who is looking at breaking the Thatcherite consensus.
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 750
    Suddenly had an urge to listen to some Elvis Costello, can't think why.
  • Options
    grahambc1grahambc1 Posts: 26

A very interesting interview with Lord Ashdown currently on Radio 5. He said something like: I opposed many of the things she did, but when I went to Bosnia I found myself doing the very things I opposed, for instance liberalising the economy.

This is the extraordinary paradox. Almost every single one of those who hate her now support all her main policies, which were controversial at the time but now are universally accepted in the Western world, even by the left. No-one now would dream of disagreeing with privatisation of telecoms, the ending of subsidies for loss-making industries, or the banning of the closed shop. It must be precisely because she was so right that she was so reviled by some; there is no other possible explanation.
    Very sweeping statement as there are many who would re-nationalise Telecoms and subsidies are not wrong in the right place, we have come through 30 years of a consensus driven in part by Thatcher but a lot by Blair's sell out of the Labour Party, hopefully this is ending
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited April 2013
    Full ceremonial funeral with military honours following a service at St Pauls Cathedral.

No lying in state at her own request.

A pity about no lying in the state. A day or two Holyrood Palace followed by a another couple at the TUC headquarters in London would have allowed some of her most fervent Scottish supporters to pay their last respects.
  • Options
    About time.

almost every social ill in this country can be traced back to her time in office (maybe most importantly the massive amount of people abandonded to a life on benifits which follows directly to their children)

dreadful pm and will not be missed. how good britain would be today if she had not not ruled
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Farage: 'I have always said that Mrs Thatcher was a great inspiration to me personally.'
  • Options
    EastwingerEastwinger Posts: 351
    @flyingtrain Yes, 100k would still be digging coal that nobody uses and we would still be waiting 4 weeks for a phone line. The winter of discontent was a really fun time.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    Remarkably little on the manner of her leaving number 10 at the hands of her Tory colleagues as yet. Give it time.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    @flyingtrain

do you think those changes were brought about by

a) Margaret Thatcher; or
    b) globalisation?

She just got it early on.

Thank goodness.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Again another massive chunk of one's childhood has ended.

In terms of what I remember of government in my formative years, it was dominated by Margaret Thatcher as Prime Minister.

I remember celebrating her defenestration in 1990 whilst studying for GCSEs. A massive figure - of course I oppose much of what she did politically, the legacy of which (banking collapses, housing shortages, poor investment and skills, yawning inequality, chronic unemployment) we are living through right now.

In a way I'm sort of relieved she has passed now, rather than years ago when I don't know how my juvenile self would have reacted. Now, at least I see a formidable politician, a great statesman, and a pioneer for the limitless ambitions of women in Britain and elsewhere.
  • Options
    Cameron's tribute surprisingly brief. I'm sure he can improve on that in the days to come with a far more lengthy one.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    A colossus of British politics. RIP Margaret, these will be my only words on the subject on message boards, facebook, twitter or anywhere else.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited April 2013
    It can sound unsensitive...

but Labour members needed here.....can anyone cut and paste the list of all Euro selection shortlisted candidates from the membersnet section of the labour website and send it to me (clicking on the username, on the profile, there's an inbox function to send personale messages; or if it's too complicated at anpa82@inwind.it)?

http://members.labour.org.uk/parliamentary-selections
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    @Peter2.

"Happily Maggie had no such delusions, though she did sell out the Rhodies."

Odd that people think Mrs T's divisiveness might bring out the lefties in protest. I think the bigger threat is that she might bring out the racists and fascists who thought their time had passed.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    A slightly unbalanced woman, noted for controversy and intransigence, but who was extremely lucky in the way the Opposition divided against her, aided by FPTP. Plus the enemies she faced were even more unpalatable...

If that constellation had not arisen, she almost certainly would have been a one-term anomaly, an example of how NOT to do politics.

Her greatest achievements: the recapture of the Falklands, and the routing of the loony left. In the latter she was perhaps too successful, bequeathing us the fraud of New Labour and the mush that passes for politics today...
  • Options
    BenM said:

In a way I'm sort of relieved she has passed now, rather than years ago when I don't know how my juvenile self would have reacted. Now, at least I see a formidable politician, a great statesman, and a pioneer for the limitless ambitions of women in Britain and elsewhere.

Nicely put, and all credit for resisting the flow that's swept your left-leaning brethren off their feet.
  • Options
    The News on BBC Scotland having a curiously different take on her. Much mention of the poll tax and the rest of her legacy which ensured there was a scottish parliament.
  • Options
    'Funeral cortege will go from Chapel of St Mary Undercroft in Parlt via RAF Chapel of St Clement Danes to St Pauls. Servicemen line route/Lady Thatcher's coffin will be drawn on a gun carriage by King's Troop of the Royal Artillery. Chelsea pensioners will greet it at St Pauls' shippers
  • Options
    Anorak said:

BenM said:

Nicely put, and all credit for resisting the flow that's swept your left-leaning brethren off their feet.
    What 'flow'? There's been more bleating sanctimony from the right about how the left may react than bile from the left as far as I can see on here.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    I very greatly and personally mourn the passing of a legendary Briton.

RIP Margaret.
  • Options
    Peter_2Peter_2 Posts: 146
    Pretty sure there is plenty of bile in the Grauniad. Try reading the leftist foreign press, eg El Pais for leftist vile.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Carola said:

Anorak said:

BenM said:

What 'flow'? There's been more bleating sanctimony from the right about how the left may react than bile from the left as far as I can see on here.
    You should take a look at twitter.....
  • Options
    Anyone think that today's events have an influence on the South Shields 2nd place market ?
  • Options
    glassfetglassfet Posts: 220
    @ShippersUnbound: Miliband says Lady Thatcher 'moved the centre ground of British politics.' Don't forget he believes he is moving it back.
  • Options
    Carola said:

Anorak said:

BenM said:

There's more to the world than PB, dear. Head over to the Guardian to see the bile and bitterness in full flow. I haven't dared look at the Mirror.

• Options

Carola said:

Anorak said:

BenM said:

You should take a look at twitter.....
    I'm talking about on PB.

• Options
    Remarkable dignity.

South Africa's governing African National Congress, once dismissed by Thatcher as "a typical terrorist organisation", did not linger on her refusal to back sanctions against the apartheid regime but instead paid warm tribute.

"It's something we went past," spokesman Keith Khoza said. "Our position was vindicated by the people of Britain who embraced anti-apartheid policies with such enthusiasm that, even though she disagreed, Margaret Thatcher was forced to acknowledge us."
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Why are they only giving her a state funeral?

They aren't.
    Vanguard Newspapers ‏@vanguardngrnews 6m

Thatcher to get ‘ceremonial’ funeral, not state funeral – Downing St http://dlvr.it/3C0zyY
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Nice statement by EdM

"I send my deep condolences to Lady Thatcher's family, in particular Mark and Carol Thatcher.

She will be remembered as a unique figure. She reshaped the politics of a whole generation. She was Britain's first woman Prime Minister. She moved the centre ground of British politics and was a huge figure on the world stage.

The Labour Party disagreed with much of what she did and she will always remain a controversial figure. But we can disagree and also greatly respect her political achievements and her personal strength.

She also defined the politics of the 1980s. David Cameron, Nick Clegg and I all grew up in a politics shaped by Lady Thatcher. We took different paths but with her as the crucial figure of that era.

She coped with her final, difficult years with dignity and courage. Critics and supporters will remember her in her prime.
  • Options
    glassfet said:
    Yep. The green segment resonating at the moment.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

To quote the great she-elephant, you appear to be giving them the oxygen of publicity.
    Of course I understand that's a requisite if one thinks one needs vast mounts of sanctimonious outrage to mourn appropriately.

*sigh* It's the comment section of the premier left-wing newspaper in the country, underneath the most-trafficked article of the year (probably). They already have more oxygen than I can possibly provide.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    My abiding memory will be her control of detail, her excellent brain and powers of recall that used her scientific training to quickly get to the basic matter of a problem and her ability to make personal time for those when it was important. She also made a very good cup of tea.
  • Options
    @pulpstar

I've sent you a private message, rather, have replied to your original message.
  • Options
    Labour Euro candidates list found....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Anyone think that today's events have an influence on the South Shields 2nd place market ?

Fuel to the UKIP fire I imagine.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    glassfet said:
    Carola said:

Yep. The green segment resonating at the moment.

As is the yellow one. Journos can dine out on that one for weeks.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    @Bob_Sykes
    "As for the Manchester derby - a minute's applause should cover all bases?"

I have been invited this evening and I'll be sitting directly behind SAF-literally (and with a very attractive girl on my right)-so if you see someone enthusiastically leading the applause wearing a red scarf it's unlikely to be him or me.
  • Options
    @topping

globalisation had nothing to do with dumping millions onto incapacity benifit, ripping the heart out of state schools and local communities.

this was pure idelogicial nonsence and many other countries have shown (most notably sweden, norway, denmark) that there was and remains another way, and indeed thatchers free market (along with the other neo cons aronnd the world) is the direct root of the current financial disaster we see now (however much otherr governments may have added to this, the risk taking and making money from nothing started under her).

thatchers legacy is the broken society cameron likes to talk about. the people in poverty whos parents were abandonded in the 80s, now we see generational worklessness and reliance on benifits. Thatcher started the massaging of the unemploymentt figures by puuttingg many onto incapacity benifitt when there was no need. the result? the society we see now when there is a group in society who are not exxpected to work or get educated, have no ambbitions to do this and then many right wingers complain about people getting somethig for nothing.

there is a better way, but those at the top have no intereest in it as it would not be good for them.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Wales
    Derek Vaughan MEP reselected

New candidates

Jayne Bryant (Newport West activist)
    Christina Rees (Ron Davies' former wife; Arfton 2011 candidate)
    Alex Thomas (Neath Cllr)

The number of shortlisted candidates is the available places +1. New candidates will be ranked after a members' ballot to be held this summer.
    They will use gender zipped list. In this region, there will actually be 2 ballots. One for male candidates and one for female. Top new candidate should be a lady.
  • Options

@pulpstar

I've sent you a private message, rather, have replied to your original message.

Thanks !
  • Options
    And Tony Blair speaks:

Tony Blair, the Labour former Prime Minister, has issued his tribute. He described Lady Thatcher as "a towering political figure".

Very few leaders get to change not only the political landscape of their country but of the world. Margaret was such a leader. Her global impact was vast. And some of the changes she made in Britain were, in certain respects at least, retained by the 1997 Labour government, and came to be implemented by governments around the world.

• Options
    Blair's tribute in danger of outshining Cameron's. That's unfortunate.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Cameron gets to make the official government tribute, which given he's in transit from Europe I believe takes a bit more time no doubt.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    As an ex miner who had moved out of the industry I remember interviewing an old mining aquaintance during the strike and he said to me "Maggie has released a whole generation of young men from the tyranny of tradition, they can now go and look for work where they can see daylight all day and not sacrifice their health and not be accused of being a class traitor".He was not alone in that sentiment
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Par for the course.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

I think Tony is just making sure he gets an invitation to the funeral. He doesn't want a repeat of the Royal Wedding exclusions.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

Cameron gets to make the official government tribute, which given he's in transit from Europe I believe takes a bit more time no doubt.

He already made a televised one. I'm not surprised you missed it as it was fairly brief.
    As I said he will get his chance to improve on it in the days to come. I fear he has an impossible task to make one that will live up to the expectations of some tories. And Blair of course.

• Options
    David Cameron isn't having much luck with EU matters. This is the second time in four months that he's had to rearrange his organised plans to push his agenda for the EU because of unforeseen events.
  • Options
    JamesKellyJamesKelly Posts: 1,348
    As someone who was - and is - appalled by the effect of Thatcherism on Scotland and indeed the rest of the UK, let me just say that this is very sad news. Sympathies to Lady Thatcher's family, friends, and all those who feel a sense of loss today.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Blair probably owes more to Mrs T than anyone else in Britain.
  • Options
    London

Claude Moraes and Mary Honeyball MEPs reselected by Labour.

A ballot will be held to decide who will be 1 and who 2. Moraes should win it easily.

Sanchia Alasia (Barking Cllr)
    Lucy Anderson (former Camden Cllr; former Barnet & Camden Assembly candidate, worked at transport department of the Greater London Authority under Ken)
    Ivana Bartoletti (Hackney activist, Deputy Director of the Fabian Women's Networkand the founding editor of Fabiana magazine www.ivanabartoletti.co.uk/)
    Andrea Biondi (former PD candidate at Italian elections for ex pats constituency!)
    Seb Dance (former SpAd to Woodward, partner of Spencer Livermore, ex SpAd to Brown)
    Kamaljeet Jandu (GMB Equality Officer, shortlisted for Feltham & Heston)

In this region, the top new candidate will the highest polling candidate regardless of gender.

• Options
    Probably wise...

Premier League won't be asking clubs to hold minute's silence for #Thatcher at matches
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    London mayor Ken Livingstone tells Sky News Baroness Thatcher's policies were "fundamentally wrong". "She created today's housing crisis, she produced the banking crisis, she created the benefits crisis. It was her government that started putting people on incapacity benefits rather than register them as unemployed because the Britain she inherited was broadly at full employment," he says.

Shadow chancellor Ed Balls tweets: Very sad to hear of the death of Margaret Thatcher. Our first woman PM, she was the one who truly 'broke the mould' of British politics.

Balls and Ed M recognise Thatcher as a significant politician who did change the world, unlike Neanderthal Ken.
  • Options

Blair probably owes more to Mrs T than anyone else in Britain.

Really? I'd never thought of that. Good point.

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    @Antifrank: Have there been any reactions from EU leaders? Will they be as gracious as EdM (who - as a political opponent - struck the right note, as did Harriet Harman)?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Scotland's First Minister Alex Salmond describes Baroness Thatcher as a "truly formidable prime minister whose policies defined a political generation".
  • Options
    Bob_SykesBob_Sykes Posts: 11
    Alex Salmond: "a truly formidable Prime Minister"

Gosh!
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    RodCrosby said:

... was extremely lucky in the way the Opposition divided against her, aided by FPTP.

The Conservatives' share of the vote was quite consistent: 1979 43.9%, 1983 42.4%, 1987 42.2%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_general_election,_1979

• Options
    glassfetglassfet Posts: 220
    @LabourList: The Labour Party has confirmed that campaigning in the local elections will be suspended "until further notice" http://labli.st/Y85x4t
  • Options
    Isn't it curious how all these political tributes to Margaret Thatcher express exactly the qualities that the tribute-payer sees in himself or herself?
  • Options
    davidthecondavidthecon Posts: 165

@topping

globalisation had nothing to do with dumping millions onto incapacity benifit, ripping the heart out of state schools and local communities.

this was pure idelogicial nonsence and many other countries have shown (most notably sweden, norway, denmark) that there was and remains another way, and indeed thatchers free market (along with the other neo cons aronnd the world) is the direct root of the current financial disaster we see now (however much otherr governments may have added to this, the risk taking and making money from nothing started under her).

thatchers legacy is the broken society cameron likes to talk about. the people in poverty whos parents were abandonded in the 80s, now we see generational worklessness and reliance on benifits. Thatcher started the massaging of the unemploymentt figures by puuttingg many onto incapacity benifitt when there was no need. the result? the society we see now when there is a group in society who are not exxpected to work or get educated, have no ambbitions to do this and then many right wingers complain about people getting somethig for nothing.

there is a better way, but those at the top have no intereest in it as it would not be good for them.

Masterful use of the English language. Come back when you've learned to spell and form a coherent sentence. Return to your cave with your Ladybird books.

• Options
    I am actually rather impressed that most left-wing commentators are being classy. A lot of people going up in my estimation this afternoon, here and on Twitter. Rather more than have gone down. Had to unfollow only three people for grave dancing. Was expecting more nonsense like the reports from NUS conference.
  • Options
    FM Alex Salmond ‏@AlexSalmond 15m

Condolences to Lady Thatcher's family. A formidable politician whose policies defined a political generation
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Mr. Antifrank, I must admit when I heard Blair's line I was thinking that he was writing it hoping dreadfully that someone would write something similar about him one day.
  • Options
    Nick Robbo just screwed up his anecdotal retelling of the famous Spitting Image "vegetables" sketch on the BBC News just now.

"And what about the vegetables?"

"I'll order for them"

No! "They'll have what I'm having"

Surely everyone knows that?!
  • Options
    Neil Kinnock's lack of distinction as a politician laid bare in a terse and graceless tribute to his conqueror:

"I recognise and admire the great distinction of Baroness Thatcher as the first woman to become leader of a major UK political party and prime minister. I am sorry to hear of her death and offer my sympathy to her family."
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

It must be precisely because she was so right that she was so reviled by some; there is no other possible explanation.

For me Richard, it was personal: Section 28.
  • Options
    JamesKellyJamesKelly Posts: 1,348
    I'm not sure where the 'gosh' value is in Alex Salmond's tribute. All those who opposed what Mrs Thatcher was doing would know that she defined the politics of a generation.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

I'm not sure where the 'gosh' value is in Alex Salmond's tribute. All those who opposed what Mrs Thatcher was doing would know that she defined the politics of a generation.

Clegg said much the same thing using defining and I said it was adroitly done because it was.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    South East

Labour MEP Peter Skinner is retiring.

Labour shortlist:

Anneliese Dodds (former Reading East candidate)
    Maggie Hughes (
    Karen Landles (Epsom and Ewell local election candidate in 2011; National Policy Forum Rep; works as Behavioural Insight Director at CBS Outdoor)
    Farah Nazeer (Newham Cllr)
    Emily Westley (Hastings Cllr)
    Phil Bloomer (works at Oxfam as Director of the Campaigns and Policy Division since 2005)
    John Howarth (former chair of Reading Labour Party)
    Del Singh (international development consultant delsingh.com)
    James Swindlehurst (Slough Cllr)
    James Watkins (sits on Labour movement for Europe executive. Has written some pieces for Labour Uncut)

Top spot will go to a woman here.

• Options
    AHMatlock said:

Peter the Punter: Thank you for your kind words. I'm still a faithful reader of the blog, though I rarely comment any more. To be honest, trying to defend this coalition government (as I would feel compelled to do as a loyal Tory) is such an abysmal thought that I find it easier to remain silent. Perhaps I shall be moved to be more vocal as the election nears...

As you please, AHM.

The Site can never have enough good posters, so I hope I can look forward to reading more from you as the GE approaches.

In good health, I trust?
  • Options
    @seant

as yes, when you can't dispute the argument, get abusive, very mature

btw, did you see the recent black mirrors? you remind me me of Waldo. could not engage in the debate, so just abused people. though Waldo had far more wit than you i think.

crawl back into your hole, cry your tears for the worst thing in british politics in the 20th century and leave the debatee on events to others.
  • Options
    Bob_Sykes said:

Nick Robbo just screwed up his anecdotal retelling of the famous Spitting Image "vegetables" sketch on the BBC News just now.

"And what about the vegetables?"

"I'll order for them"

No! "They'll have what I'm having"

Surely everyone knows that?!

Thought it was: 'They'll have the same'

Wonderful sketch. Spitting Image in the 80s was amazing.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    So Gerry Adams reckons Maggie caused "great hurt" to Irish and British people.

His cronies planned a lot more than "great hurt" when they blew up her hotel room whilst she slept.
  • Options
    North West

Arlene McCarthy is reselected. Brian Simpson MEP is retiring.

New candidates

Theresa Griffin (number 3 in the 2009 list and number 4 in the 2004 and number 10 in 1999 election)
    Afzal Khan (Manchester Cllr. Tried to be selected in various parliamentary seats)
    Angeliki Stogia (Manchester Cllr)
    Steve Carter (from Cheshire, number 4 in 2009 list)
    Kevin Doran ( "PR professional". I believe it's this one twitter.com/ResEuropa )
    Julie Ward
    Pascale Lamb (works for Scottish MEP Catherine Stihler)
    Wajid Khan (Burnley Cllr)

The top vacant place (second spot) will go the highest polling candidate. Then gender alternance.

• Options
    You're probably right, Sean. The passage of time has helped.

The other thing is that most adults are better than mocking the old or the dead. Watching a load of hoorays scorn a knackered Ted Heath who was being attended by a nurse was one of the things that most put me off politics or being an active Tory.
  • Options
    @davidthecon

yawn yawn ywan

another one who does not want to actually debate thatchers legacy, but just insult people?

for your benifit, try typing fast on a tablet keyboard without having the time to proof read everything (last time i checked this site was not a comptetition for the most accurate spelling or use of the english language, but for discussing current affairs. Though i guess you like your silo here with only one view point on thee world?)
  • Options
    This should actually preface most of the blogs and newspapers for the next few days.

• Options
    Yorkshire

Linda McAvan MEP is reselected

New candidates:

Richard Corbett (former MEP)
    Darren Hughes (Rotherham Cllr)
    Asghar Khan (Leeds Cllr)
    Helen Mirfin-Boukouris (Sheffield Cllr)
    Tracey Simpson-Lang (York Cllr)
    Eleanor Tunnicliffe (former Richmond Park candidate)

Here second spot will go the highest polling candidate regardless of gender. Then zipped list.

• Options
    @seant

yawn yawn yawn

fancy discussing thatchers legacy at some point, or do you just want to be abusive all the time?
  • Options

@davidthecon

yawn yawn ywan

another one who does not want to actually debate thatchers legacy, but just insult people?

for your benifit, try typing fast on a tablet keyboard without having the time to proof read everything (last time i checked this site was not a comptetition for the most accurate spelling or use of the english language, but for discussing current affairs. Though i guess you like your silo here with only one view point on thee world?)

Typing on a tablet is easy enough for those with half a brain. It'll even spellcheck it for you, you know.

• Options
    Thatcher's greatest achievement is found in the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992, which consolidated the reforms made by her administration to union law in the 1980s. Thankfully, it remains all but untouched twenty-one years later.
  • Options
    I hope today is still in Mike's free month of page views. Imagine having to foot the bill for today!
  • Options
    @Mick_Pork He forgot to add the slice of the pie that think "That Cher (i)s dead.".
  • Options
    South West

No Labour MEP here at the moment. Shortlisted candidates:

Clare Moody (Wilthshire PCC candidate, 2005 Salisbury candidate)
    Ann Reeder (works at LGiU (Local Government Information Unit))
    Jude Robinson (2010 candidate in Camborne and Redruth)
    Junab Ali (Swindon Cllr)
    Glyn Ford (former MEP)
    Hadleigh Roberts (Vice Chair of Bath CLP hadleighroberts.com/

Top spost should go to a woman here.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    edited April 2013
    @Mick_Pork

Very good. I'm guessing a PB chart would have a 3/4 slice coloured in a sludgy combination of blue and green.
  • Options

@davidthecon

yawn yawn ywan

Though 100% spelling accuracy is not expected, a minimum level of competence does help somewhat in arguments.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

I hope today is still in Mike's free month of page views. Imagine having to foot the bill for today!

I hope so too

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    @Pong: Section 28 was wrong. And yet decades earlier Thatcher was one of the relatively few Tory politicians who voted for the decriminalisation of homosexuality. So even there her record was not quite as black and white as some have painted.
  • Options
    @slackbladder

yawn

who cares. this is not a english language competition
  • Options
    North East

Stephen Hughes MEP is retiring.

Labour shortlist for new candidates:

Judith Kirton-Darlin (European TUC Confederal Secretary)
    Jayne Shotton (North Tyneside Cllr)
    Paul Brannen (2001 Hexham candidate)
    Nick Wallis (Darlington Cllr, third placed on 2009 list)

Top spot to a woman. Kirton Darling is the favourite to win the female ballot while Wallis should win the male one.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

@Mick_Pork

Very good. I'm guessing a PB chart would have a 3/4 slice coloured in a sludgy combination of blue green.

The yellow and purple slices are far too small considering the proprietors of the papers and the easy copy journos can get. As you soon shall see.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    RT Graham Linehan‏@Glinner17m
    Thatcher's legacy in the UK: Three parties fighting each other for the honour of implementing her policies. It's why voting is so exciting!
  • Options
    davidthecondavidthecon Posts: 165
    edited April 2013

@davidthecon

yawn yawn ywan

Such as the Ipad that I'm using now you mean?

I felt quite a tinge of sadness when Michael Foot passed away. I remember spending the months before his defeat, knocking on doors and shooting down all those crazy 80's leftie policies. But in retrospect I realised what an honourable and honest politician he was. A patriot and a man with strong genuine beliefs. I disagreed with him but I respected him.

You however, like many ignorant lefties, just see Mrs Thatchers passing as a day for celebration.
    So be it, I'd quite happily p**s on your grave one day as well.

This discussion has been closed.