Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Only 11% of the country are prepared for the Zombie apocalypse

Comments

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,092

stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

A jolly thread for a Friday afternoon. I know some Councils have been asked about their plans for a zombie apocalypse via Freedom of Information. One Council was asked what it would do if Santa's sleigh crash-landed in their area.

I'm conscious how much I depend on electricity and its availability. Ignoring pandemics, zombies and nuclear war, my main worry would be a substantial electricity blackout lasting not just minutes but days. A midwinter failure of supply lasting a week was documented on C4 but just thinking about how reliant I am on that power forced me to do some stocking up as well but am I prepared ? Not really.

The thought of sitting for days in the dark and increasing cold nursing the last of the candles and the torches and the tinned food while Theresa May and Michael Fallon assure me everything is all right and I can hear the looters up East Ham High Street having another evening's "fun" - not pleasant.

The Sun is now shining so perhaps all is not yet lost even for the cricket.

Leicester council admitted being poorly prepared, feeling that some aspects of its general emergency plans would cover it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-13713798

When Fox Jr was younger we decided the best refuge was Hambleton Hall on Rutland water. It has a narrow necked defensible perimeter, and as well as the Michelin starred restaurant and wine celler, the access to freshwater, and trout in the lake. A dinghy as escape vessel would be easy too for moments of last resort.

The Isle of Wight has advantages too, not least that the Zombies there would be a lot slower with their zimmer frames...
    The Isle of Wight acted as a refuge when England was overrun by triffids. Presumably, zombies, like triffids can't swim, so emergency planning should focus on relocating people to offshore islands.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Sean_F said:

stodge said:

A jolly thread for a Friday afternoon. I know some Councils have been asked about their plans for a zombie apocalypse via Freedom of Information. One Council was asked what it would do if Santa's sleigh crash-landed in their area.

I'm conscious how much I depend on electricity and its availability. Ignoring pandemics, zombies and nuclear war, my main worry would be a substantial electricity blackout lasting not just minutes but days. A midwinter failure of supply lasting a week was documented on C4 but just thinking about how reliant I am on that power forced me to do some stocking up as well but am I prepared ? Not really.

The thought of sitting for days in the dark and increasing cold nursing the last of the candles and the torches and the tinned food while Theresa May and Michael Fallon assure me everything is all right and I can hear the looters up East Ham High Street having another evening's "fun" - not pleasant.

Leicester council admitted being poorly prepared, feeling that some aspects of its general emergency plans would cover it:

When Fox Jr was younger we decided the best refuge was Hambleton Hall on Rutland water. It has a narrow necked defensible perimeter, and as well as the Michelin starred restaurant and wine celler, the access to freshwater, and trout in the lake. A dinghy as escape vessel would be easy too for moments of last resort.

The Isle of Wight has advantages too, not least that the Zombies there would be a lot slower with their zimmer frames...
    The Isle of Wight acted as a refuge when England was overrun by triffids. Presumably, zombies, like triffids can't swim, so emergency planning should focus on relocating people to offshore islands.
    As opposed to onshore islands? My understanding from Max Brooks' The Zombie Survival Guide is that as zombies don't need oxygen they could walk across the sea floor and eventually reach islands. That said they could equally between swept away or walk into the middle of the Atlantic, so an island would offer a degree of safety.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

stodge said:

As opposed to onshore islands? My understanding from Max Brooks' The Zombie Survival Guide is that as zombies don't need oxygen they could walk across the sea floor and eventually reach islands. That said they could equally between swept away or walk into the middle of the Atlantic, so an island would offer a degree of safety.
    There are lots of non offshore islands; several in Windermere for starters.

I think the triffids could and did spread seed, the point of the IoW was that you could eradicate what was there and then keep on top of further seedlings. And there is a real life triffid scenario: all the Japanese knotweed which is overrunning the country is from a single ancestral female and spreads only by bits of existing plants being moved and forming roots. If a male plant were to be introduced...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,541
    edited September 2017
    Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

stodge said:

Yes, but there is also the problem of navigation. Sight, sound or smell (I'm not entirely clear on zombie capabilities, as reports vary considerably) are of very little utility on the sea floor.
    Of course if they are slightly lighter than water (again, this isn't entirely clear), the odd animated corpse is likely to wash up on the shore...

(edit - and I'm uncertain as to whether Mr Brooks' work was properly peer reviewed, let alone independently replicated.)
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

stodge said:

In the fourth Romero film (Land of the Dead) the zombies regain a semblance of cognition and realise that they can walk through the water to the city:

http://zombie.wikia.com/wiki/Land_of_the_Dead

However, I reckon both Rutland Water and the Solent are sufficiently silty to make slow progress. The giant pike in Rutland Water may act as an additional defence.

I reckon that zombie flesh would deteriorate fairly quickly, and after the initial epidemic, the zombies would rot to incapacity within weeks. There is the problem however of their recruits...

• Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Nigelb said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Yes, but there is also the problem of navigation. Sight, sound or smell (I'm not entirely clear on zombie capabilities, as reports vary considerably) are of very little utility on the sea floor.
    Of course if they are slightly lighter than water (again, this isn't entirely clear), the odd animated corpse is likely to wash up on the shore...
    True, the numbers washing up would be small. The issue with evacuating people to be crammed onto islands is making sure none of them have been bitten. Then we'd really be in trouble.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

stodge said:

A jolly thread for a Friday afternoon. I know some Councils have been asked about their plans for a zombie apocalypse via Freedom of Information. One Council was asked what it would do if Santa's

There are lots of non offshore islands; several in Windermere for starters.

I think the triffids could and did spread seed, the point of the IoW was that you could eradicate what was there and then keep on top of further seedlings. And there is a real life triffid scenario: all the Japanese knotweed which is overrunning the country is from a single ancestral female and spreads only by bits of existing plants being moved and forming roots. If a male plant were to be introduced...
    Yeh, the problem with inland islands is the lack of an escape route if the zombies make it to them.

We'd have to accept that 95% of the population would be dead within months, and choose in advance who should be relocated to the Isle of Wight, Man, Channel Islands etc.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

stodge said:

When Fox Jr was younger we decided the best refuge was Hambleton Hall on Rutland water. ..

In the fourth Romero film (Land of the Dead) the zombies regain a semblance of cognition and realise that they can walk through the water to the city:

http://zombie.wikia.com/wiki/Land_of_the_Dead

However, I reckon both Rutland Water and the Solent are sufficiently silty to make slow progress. The giant pike in Rutland Water may act as an additional defence.

I reckon that zombie flesh would deteriorate fairly quickly, and after the initial epidemic, the zombies would rot to incapacity within weeks. There is the problem however of their recruits...

I'm not sure Mr Romero is the most reliable of sources. If you look closely at his work, it's possible to suspect that some of his evidence was faked...

• Options
    Sadly, stuff to do, so I'll have to leave this online zombie symposium for now.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Please tell me this is not another Brexit thread.

Zombie=Brexiteer.
    TSE probably has polling that proves Leavers believe in a Zombie apocalypse, and that The Walking Dead is a documentary.
    That's exactly what I feared.
    I deliberately chose not to make any Brexit = The Zombie Apocalypse analogies.
    Your restraint is gratefully noted.

I wish Broady was showing similar restraint.
    I made a conscious decision that during this stint as editor of PB I would try and do as few threads on Brexit and Mrs May being crap as possible.

Plus I've always wanted to a thread on the Zombie apocalypse.
    The PB Remainers infected with "Rage Virus" :lol:
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,943
    So do we have any practical suggestions for how we defend ourselves against May and her administration.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

So do we have any practical suggestions for how we defend ourselves against May and her administration.

Note: the subject Jonathan appears to be infected with Rage Virus!
  • Options

Essexit said:

1) Fill all available receptacles with clean water while it's still running
    2) Gather all available food, toiletries, misc. supplies
    3) Locate suitable weapons (spades, knives, cricket bats)
    4) Move items from 1-3 upstairs
    5) Destroy staircase
    6) Wait

That's more thought through than the Brexit plan.
    You had to go and spoil the fun.
    Sorry, back to zombies everyone.
    Where are you posting from? Raccoon City? :lol:
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    Sorry Sunil_Prasannan, I missed your reply on my question on what you thought about Kevin...
  • Options
    OchEye said:

Sorry Sunil_Prasannan, I missed your reply on my question on what you thought about Kevin...

Sorry - which Kevin? (I missed your question!)
  • Options
    Zombies will need legal advice. I'll be fine.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Yes, but can they pay the fees ???
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,116
    Hmm, do you happen to know what Powell's views were on democracy and the republic? :p
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I'm sure we can come to an arrangement. The tax treatment of such an arrangement can be discussed with those members of HMRC who have both not become zombies and who could show a difference from a zombie state. I expect that tax won't be an issue.
  • Options

OchEye said:

You went on a trip under the 3 Forth Bridges? There was a competition to name the latest one, of which Bridgie McBridgeface, was not accepted for some reason. However, the local South Queensferry school put forward another name, which for some reason has become popular in taking the mickey out of Sturgeon and her 150 years of the Queensferry Crossing. So you have the red topped Mr. Bridge, his younger wife Mrs. Bridge and their son, Kevin!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,045
    Isn't Brexit the Zombie apocalypse?
  • Options

They'd have difficulty giving instructions, I'd have thought.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I'm sure we can come to an arrangement. The tax treatment of such an arrangement can be discussed with those members of HMRC who have both not become zombies and who could show a difference from a zombie state. I expect that tax won't be an issue.
    I think you might be falling for that whole Romero zombie cognition line....

And you expect way too much from HMRC...
  • Options
    OchEye said:

OchEye said:

You went on a trip under the 3 Forth Bridges? There was a competition to name the latest one, of which Bridgie McBridgeface, was not accepted for some reason. However, the local South Queensferry school put forward another name, which for some reason has become popular in taking the mickey out of Sturgeon and her 150 years of the Queensferry Crossing. So you have the red topped Mr. Bridge, his younger wife Mrs. Bridge and their son, Kevin!
    A friend of ours is pregnant, and her three-year old son has taken to calling the unborn child 'carpet'. No-one knows why.
  • Options

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

A friend of ours is pregnant, and her three-year old son has taken to calling the unborn child 'carpet'. No-one knows why.
    +1
  • Options
    OchEye said:

OchEye said:

Oh yes, I get it now :)

(Pretends not to have just Googled it)

I still think the original Forth Rail Bridge is easily the best of the three, though Kevin is quite a nice structure in his own right.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,686
    Can I just say that anyone who survived the tourists at the Edinburgh festival really has nothing to worry about from a zombie apocalypse.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Hmm, do you happen to know what Powell's views were on democracy and the republic? :p
    Wolverhampton is to be reorganised into the First Galactic Empire?
  • Options

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

I still think the original Forth Rail Bridge is easily the best of the three, though Kevin is quite a nice structure in his own right.
    Kevin is proving incredibly inefficient for reasons that are far from clear. Tonight the queue to get on this apparently open dual carriageway was an hour long. Once I got over it heading north the queue south was more than 6 miles long.

I am finding the argument that this still has something to do with tourists, even of the zombie persuasion, increasingly hard to credit.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,943
    If Theresa May became an actual real zombie how would be know?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Can I just say that anyone who survived the tourists at the Edinburgh festival really has nothing to worry about from a zombie apocalypse.

Living on dartmoor I am surprisingly little inconvenienced by tourism. However, i have a lot of sympathy for the indigenes of Venice, Barcelona, Split and - apparently - Edinburgh wanting to kill and eat out of towners.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

PMQs would be shorter, possibly only 30 minutes.
  • Options

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

Presumably because it's the underlay of a good shag.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

As a resident in Shoreditch, I'm not sure that I don't already live in a zombie apocalypse. Most weekends the undead walk among us.
  • Options

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

Your coat, sir. :smiley:
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

She'd have converted her entire party by now ?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

Kevin is proving incredibly inefficient for reasons that are far from clear. Tonight the queue to get on this apparently open dual carriageway was an hour long. Once I got over it heading north the queue south was more than 6 miles long.

I am finding the argument that this still has something to do with tourists, even of the zombie persuasion, increasingly hard to credit.
    Probably because they have shut down the suspension bridge for refurb as soon as the new bridge opened? That's what the voiceover on the boat trip said anyway!
  • Options

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

I'll tell them that! :)
  • Options
    Off-topic:

Back in February, there was some discussion of the Oroville dam slipway failure in the US. Fortunately they escaped the worst, but they're posting regular videos of the repair work. And jeez, it's engineering porn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTvp0QLHfOw

You only get a scale of a sense of the washout when you see the people and machines working on fixing it.
  • Options

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

Well played.
  • Options

Off-topic:

Back in February, there was some discussion of the Oroville dam slipway failure in the US. Fortunately they escaped the worst, but they're posting regular videos of the repair work. And jeez, it's engineering porn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTvp0QLHfOw

You only get a scale of a sense of the washout when you see the people and machines working on fixing it.

Not quite on that scale, but this is big news in our neck of the woods.

http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/unify/
  • Options

DavidL said:

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

Probably because they have shut down the suspension bridge for refurb as soon as the new bridge opened? That's what the voiceover on the boat trip said anyway!
    Yes and they are not planning to open it up to the hoi poloi again but why is it so much worse than the old bridge was ( that also had 2 lanes each way).
  • Options
    What kind of parallel dimension have I just entered? You aren't on a train! :o
  • Options
    Warning: this could be the zombie apocalypse.
    https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/906229956975493120
  • Options

Hmm. Might as well have that extra bottle of wine then. There is no point in worrying about alcohol advisory levels now.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,762
    edited September 2017
    RobD said:

What kind of parallel dimension have I just entered? You aren't on a train! :o
    I took the train from Glasgow to Edinburgh that day! Then the new 43 bus to Queensferry. The previous day visited both North Queensferry and Dalmeny stations by train, but it seemed like a massive climb from the river bank back to rail level, so chickened out :)
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,047
    I am with the 11% who refuse to divulge their plans.

It is a well known FACT Zombies can read.

• Options
    DavidL said:

Hmm. Might as well have that extra bottle of wine then. There is no point in worrying about alcohol advisory levels now.
    And it gets worse....
    https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2017/sep/08/building-work-delays-london-opening-of-us-smash-musical-hamilton
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

And it gets worse....
    https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2017/sep/08/building-work-delays-london-opening-of-us-smash-musical-hamilton
    Oh yeah that's the final straw.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    This is surprising. I would have thought that something close to 52 percent would lack a zombie plan. But I'm only about 48 percent sure of that.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

And it gets worse....
    Oh yeah that's the final straw.
    Philistine.
    :smile:

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Ishmael_Z said:

DavidL said:

Living on dartmoor I am surprisingly little inconvenienced by tourism. However, i have a lot of sympathy for the indigenes of Venice, Barcelona, Split and - apparently - Edinburgh wanting to kill and eat out of towners.
    I thought you were in the Philippines for some reason?!
  • Options
    Aren't HM and HRH cousins? Just sayin'.... :D
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,887
    Zombies - just tell Mr Meeks that they voted for Brexit, but we ought to plan for his downtime too.

• Options
    Charles said:

Ishmael_Z said:

DavidL said:

Not me, never been east of, I should think, Delhi. But I may have put out some disinformation to put the zombies off the scent.
  • Options
    Thought you might appreciate the joke, think you would probably appreciate this, 24 minutes in about the other Forth Roadbridge, the Kincardine : http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b093sldg
  • Options
    RobD said:

Third cousins through Queen Victoria (and also second cousins once removed through Christian IX of Denmark).

The problem with the Pakistani first cousin marriages is that they're repeated generation after generation, with the result that the genetics get so close that they become more like siblings than cousins.

(This problem was evident in European royalty as well; the Habsburgs providing some good examples of why it's a bad idea).
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited September 2017
    I hadn't read this before. It's excellent;

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v39/n16/john-lanchester/you-are-the-product
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

And it gets worse....
    Has anyone seen this - and if so, is it any good? Hamilton's life makes for an amazing story though how well it can be translated to the stage (never mind as a musical) is something I have doubts about.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Yebbut eleven more false alarms and you're stuffed.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

And it gets worse....
    Has anyone seen this - and if so, is it any good? Hamilton's life makes for an amazing story though how well it can be translated to the stage (never mind as a musical) is something I have doubts about.
    I have tickets for early next year.

It is a work of genius - and that's just listening to the CD...
    ... though you have to get by the whole rap thing.

• Options

Won't they get it by direct imbibement, though?
  • Options

RobD said:

Third cousins through Queen Victoria (and also second cousins once removed through Christian IX of Denmark).

The problem with the Pakistani first cousin marriages is that they're repeated generation after generation, with the result that the genetics get so close that they become more like siblings than cousins.

(This problem was evident in European royalty as well; the Habsburgs providing some good examples of why it's a bad idea).
    Incest caused the Spanish Hapsburgs to die out. Charles II was sterile and barely feed himself.
  • Options
    Howard Jacobson in the NY Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/08/opinion/jeremy-corbyn-theresa-may-brexit.html

And here, we return to the initiating absurdity. For the will of the people is not sacrosanct. Democracy is not a god; it is a servant. Not a servant to be treated with contempt, but where it persists in an error that can be shown to be detrimental to those it exists to serve, a servant that can and should be asked to think again.

We are sick with fear and fastened to a dying animal. The dying animal is not the European Union. It is this misbegotten “will of the people.”
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,977
    Pong said:
    It is. As is Chaos Monkeys, one of the reviewed texts.
  • Options
    Pong said:
    Really?

"Plenty of companies, indeed entire industries, base their business model on being evil. The insurance business, for instance, depends on the fact that insurers charge customers more than their insurance is worth; that’s fair enough, since if they didn’t do that they wouldn’t be viable as businesses.“
    Surely not even Corbyn believes that it is inherently evil for a business to be designed to make a profit?

On the broader point it is frightening how much the internet knows about one. I contemplate from time to time seriously anonymising my browsing, but I don't, not just because I am lazy but also because I worry that if you do it thoroughly enough to be worthwhile, you create a presumption that you have something seriously dodgy to hide.
  • Options

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/08/opinion/jeremy-corbyn-theresa-may-brexit.html

And here, we return to the initiating absurdity. For the will of the people is not sacrosanct. Democracy is not a god; it is a servant. Not a servant to be treated with contempt, but where it persists in an error that can be shown to be detrimental to those it exists to serve, a servant that can and should be asked to think again.

We are sick with fear and fastened to a dying animal. The dying animal is not the European Union. It is this misbegotten “will of the people.”

I'm truly shocked.. the people that lost think it is an error.
  • Options

Prediction, this will be a non story. The embargoed stories always are.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I'm truly shocked.. the people that lost think it is an error.
    I guess some still haven't moved past the denial stage.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Prediction, this will be a non story. The embargoed stories always are.
    If it wasn't a non-story it would have leaked by now.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    If even Varoufakis can spot that it is not going well...
  • Options

No doubt Mr. Jacobson believes in One Man, One Vote. He's the man, and he has the vote.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,041
    edited September 2017
    Am told the FT embargoed story is Mrs May will announce in a speech* sometime this month she wants a no-cliff edge Brexit transition deal.

But she will also promise at the Tory conference a clean Brexit.

*This speech will be made in Europe, around the 22nd.
  • Options

Am told the FT embargoed story is Mrs May will announce in a speech* sometime this month she wants a no-cliff edge Brexit transition deal.

Damn. I thought they had got hold of a copy of your AV thread. :p
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

No doubt Mr. Jacobson believes in One Man, One Vote. He's the man, and he has the vote.
    I think you need to actually read the article - that's really not what he's saying at all, whether or not you agree with his perspective.
  • Options

Not an address to the European Parliament, though ?

• Options
    Also hearing that Lord Harris says Mrs May is hopeless and weak and he'd rather have a strong Labour government led by someone like Tony Blair instead of Mrs May.

Let that sink, in Lord Harris the Brexit supporting former Deputy Treasurer of the Tory party would rather have Tony Blair as PM than Mrs May's muppet show.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Not an address to the European Parliament, though ?

Nah, she's too chickenshit for that.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,041
    edited September 2017
    Ok, The FT story might be about Sky.

Edit - Or The Express/Daily Mirror deal.
  • Options

Also hearing that Lord Harris says Mrs May is hopeless and weak and he'd rather have a strong Labour government led by someone like Tony Blair instead of Mrs May.

Let that sink, in Lord Harris the Brexit supporting former Deputy Treasurer of the Tory party would rather have Tony Blair as PM than Mrs May's muppet show.

Who the fuck is "Lord" Harris? :lol:
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,473

If even Varoufakis can spot that it is not going well...
    Varoufakis has always urged the UK to go straight to EEA ever since the referendum and try and reform the EU in 5-10 years, he also has no time for the EU leadership and their tactics as he did not when Greek Finance Minister
  • Options

Harris was one of the first businessmen to be involved in Blair's academies programme so not that surprising, he is certainly more supportive of Blair than Corbyn. Of course the first Blair government from 1997-2001 was on most things more conservative than the Major, Cameron and May governments, it was no surprise Thatcher said 'Tony will not let us down' before the 1997 general election
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

I think you need to actually read the article - that's really not what he's saying at all, whether or not you agree with his perspective.
    I did read the article.
  • Options

Who the fuck is "Lord" Harris? :lol:
    No idea.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

I did read the article.
    Good.
    As you'll no doubt appreciate then, it's an argument for another vote on Brexit.
    You might not agree with the case (I'm not sure I do either), but it's a respectable one, and hardly his thinking "he's the man, and he has the vote", as you characterise it.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

I did read the article.
    Good.
    As you'll no doubt appreciate then, it's an argument for another vote on Brexit.
    You might not agree with the case (I'm not sure I do either), but it's a respectable one, and hardly his thinking "he's the man, and he has the vote", as you characterise it.

I was being sarcastic, but I do get irritated at the idea that we must vote again until we come up with the "right" answer (as he would see it).
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited September 2017
    Charles said:

Ishmael_Z said:

DavidL said:

On my last visit to Cornwall, I saw not one 'No emmets' sticker on a car bumper. Is that because there are no locals left?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited September 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

Pong said:
    Really?

"Plenty of companies, indeed entire industries, base their business model on being evil. The insurance business, for instance, depends on the fact that insurers charge customers more than their insurance is worth; that’s fair enough, since if they didn’t do that they wouldn’t be viable as businesses.“
    Surely not even Corbyn believes that it is inherently evil for a business to be designed to make a profit?

On the broader point it is frightening how much the internet knows about one. I contemplate from time to time seriously anonymising my browsing, but I don't, not just because I am lazy but also because I worry that if you do it thoroughly enough to be worthwhile, you create a presumption that you have something seriously dodgy to hide.
    lol

Yeah, I disagree with the characterization of the entire insurance industry as "evil." He's right in that basically all insurance is -EV (ie, statistically it's a rip off) but that doesn't make it evil.

There are shades of evil, depending on how -EV it is.

Personally, I'd like to force every insurance policy to state what their risk model indicates the actual EV/profit is. Ie, "you're paying £50/mo, we expect to pay out £23"
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

I did read the article.
    Good.

That is for the people to decide, at the last general election the LDs were resoundingly defeated after pushing for a second vote
  • Options
    Are we still waiting on the FT mega story?
This discussion has been closed.