Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s sonnet like by elections

2»

Comments

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sic semper tyrannis.

Mrs May is not a democrat. And obviously the Tory MPs who proclaim their faith in the will of the people will back her. The hypocrisy is rank and utterly predictable. Party before country every single time.

We're doing this to ensure Parliament is sovereign Leavers have gone curiously quiet.

Is it too much to hope there are some Tories out there who do genuinely believe in respecting the will of the people? Will all of them really be so supine, so anti-democratic as to wave this through?

The people who voted 52% Leave in June 2016 and gave the Tories a majority of the seats in GB in June 2017 you mean?

I'll put you down as an anti-democrat then.

The Tories did not get a majority of seats in June. That's kind of the point.

Actually the Tories did get a majority of seats in England, Scotland and Wales combined just not a majority once you included Northern Ireland, as the EU has indicated today it intends to do a separate Brexit deal with NI anyway so the Tories do have a majority to implement Brexit for the rest of the UK

The anti-democrat is struggling. It's the UK parliament.

Not that the EU seems that bothered about that given there moves for a separate NI deal and of course the Brexit backing DUP won most seats in NI and backed the Tories anyway

It has nothing to do with the EU, I'm afraid. This is a Tory government seeking to undermine the will of the British people as expressed through the ballot box.

Brexit was expressed in 2016.

And at the 2017 GE leaving the single market too.

And that has nothing to do with the Tories giving themselves majorities on committees that the will of the people did not deliver to them.

I think you may be over-reacting to this possibility... it's unlikely to happen.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,068

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sic semper tyrannis.

Mrs May is not a democrat. And obviously the Tory MPs who proclaim their faith in the will of the people will back her. The hypocrisy is rank and utterly predictable. Party before country every single time.

We're doing this to ensure Parliament is sovereign Leavers have gone curiously quiet.

Is it too much to hope there are some Tories out there who do genuinely believe in respecting the will of the people? Will all of them really be so supine, so anti-democratic as to wave this through?

The people who voted 52% Leave in June 2016 and gave the Tories a majority of the seats in GB in June 2017 you mean?

Actually the Tories did get a majority of seats in England, Scotland and Wales combined just not a majority once you included Northern Ireland, as the EU has indicated today it intends to do a separate Brexit deal with NI anyway so the Tories do have a majority to implement Brexit for the rest of the UK

Not that the EU seems that bothered about that given there moves for a separate NI deal and of course the Brexit backing DUP won most seats in NI and backed the Tories anyway

It has nothing to do with the EU, I'm afraid. This is a Tory government seeking to undermine the will of the British people as expressed through the ballot box.

And that has nothing to do with the Tories giving themselves majorities on committees that the will of the people did not deliver to them.

What does D stand for in DUP?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sic semper tyrannis.

I think you may be over-reacting to this possibility... it's unlikely to happen.

The government is proposing it.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sic semper tyrannis.

But this is a United Kingdom Parliament. not a GB Parliament.
    A UK Parliament where the largest party in Northern Ireland have backed the Tories anyway

Exactly. There is a TORY DUP majority in seats.
    Indeed and the DUP backed Brexit even when the then Tory leader was leading the Remain campaign last June
    And MLP could still win in France.
    She did win most departements and regions in round 1
    She won then. I thought so.

All hail the President MLP
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,497
    edited September 2017

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sic semper tyrannis.

Actually

No this is hardcore Remainers like you attempting to portray yourself as 'democrats' while yet again pushing to frustrate and undermine the vote of 17 million people for Brexit

Nope. You do not believe in democracy. The people voted in June. The result was that no party received a majority. The Tory government now seeks to undermine the verdict they delivered. It has nothing to do with me, the EU, Leave or Remain.

As Sunil states the people voted in June 2016 and voted by 52% to 48% to Leave the EU

The people then elected 318 Tory seats out of 632 GB seats in June 2017, a majority and 318 seats + 10 Brexit backing DUP seats to give 328 seats out of 650 UK seats, also a majority

So I clearly believe in democracy unlike you who with your fellow diehard Remainers seek to undermine the verdict the electorate have twice delivered, in fact even the leader of the opposition backed both Brexit and leaving the single market at the general election.

So if you want an anti democrat then look in the mirror!!
  • Options

Nope. You do not believe in democracy. The people voted in June. The result was that no party received a majority. The Tory government now seeks to undermine the verdict they delivered. It has nothing to do with me, the EU, Leave or Remain.

Got to say I am distinctly uncomfortable with the idea of the Government taking these powers. My only consolation is the time limit as my understanding is that they will only be until we actually exit. Even so I think I would be very happy if this part of the bill was amended to put in a lot more safeguards or to find an alternative way to deal with the issue of all the law changes.

I would also say that given his record I would trust Davis to stick to his word over the limits of how these would be used. The trouble is I don't trust many other Tories right now and have no faith Davis would be there come Brexit to make sure things were done properly and the powers handed back.
  • Options
    It's about time we had a parliamentary by-election.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sic semper tyrannis.

But this is a United Kingdom Parliament. not a GB Parliament.
    A UK Parliament where the largest party in Northern Ireland have backed the Tories anyway

Exactly. There is a TORY DUP majority in seats.
    Indeed and the DUP backed Brexit even when the then Tory leader was leading the Remain campaign last June
    And MLP could still win in France.
    She did win most departements and regions in round 1
    She won then. I thought so.

All hail the President MLP
    All hail President '37% approval rating' Macron
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,267

SouthamObserver:

Apologies. We will see. I hope that there are enough Torirs in the Commons who can see beyond partisanship. It's a genuine test for them.

Apology accepted for the vile calumny:).
    Distressingly that leaves 1 Tory Democrat on here. I agree it is a genuine test. Were they to fail, it would show their high-minded disdain for Corbynism to be purely partisan .
    Also, it is the kind of brook-no-opposition mental contortions that led to the blowing of a 17% lead in the first place.
  • Options

Got to say I am distinctly uncomfortable with the idea of the Government taking these powers. My only consolation is the time limit as my understanding is that they will only be until we actually exit. Even so I think I would be very happy if this part of the bill was amended to put in a lot more safeguards or to find an alternative way to deal with the issue of all the law changes.

I would also say that given his record I would trust Davis to stick to his word over the limits of how these would be used. The trouble is I don't trust many other Tories right now and have no faith Davis would be there come Brexit to make sure things were done properly and the powers handed back.

This is something on top of that, Richard:

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/uk_59b1a514e4b0dfaafcf68a04/amp
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,811
    edited September 2017
    Must go to CostCo tomorrow and stock up on bogrolls...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,127
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/remainingkind/status/905832985873833984

What an absurd comparison.
  • Options
    First preferences in Fortissat (North Lanarkshire):

Clare Quigley, Scottish Labour Party - 1,420
    John Jo Leckie, A Better Britain - Unionist Party - 858
    Mags Murphy, Scottish National Party - 761
    Norma McNab, Scottish Conservative and Unionist - 424
    Charlie Cefferty, Independent - 184
    Kyle Davidson, Scottish Green Party - 24
    Daryl Gardner, UK Independence Party (UKIP) - 18

• Options

This is something on top of that, Richard:

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/uk_59b1a514e4b0dfaafcf68a04/amp
    'The DUP has just eight MPs and has no presence on the vast majority of standing committees, where the guts of Government legislation is decided and voted on'

So without DUP MPs there to produce a majority the DUP MPs can then vote for Tory MPs to produce the majority in their stead on Tuesday night
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Actually what is genuinely frightening is that we have had such enabling acts on the statute books for decades. In the case of a declared emergency (and it is not exactly clear what such an emergency would entail) there is very little a Government cannot do as far as seizing power and suspending civil rights. I consider it a stain on our democracy but everyone just carries on as if it doesn't exist.

(none of which is supposed to detract from your point and your valid comparison.)
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,382

What does D stand for in DUP?

The same meaning as in PDRK?
  • Options
    Cardonald (Glasgow)

Lab 2614
    SNP 1972
    Con 552
    Greens 147
    LD 80
    Libertarian 12

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sic semper tyrannis.

Actually

Not that the EU seemsn NI and backed the Tories anyway

No this is hardcore people for Brexit

Nope. You do not believe ine or Remain.

As Sunil states the people voted in June 2016 and voted by 52% to 48% to Leave the EU

The people then elected 318 Tory seats out of 632 GB seats in June 2017, a majority and 318 seats + 10 Brexit backing DUP seats to give 328 seats out of 650 UK seats, also a majority

So I clearly believe in democracy unlike you who with your fellow diehard Remainers seek to undermine the verdict the electorate have twice delivered, in fact even the leader of the opposition backed both Brexit and leaving the single market at the general election.

The will of the people was that no party should have a majority in the House of Commons. You support the Tory governments plan to over-ride the voters' decision. It has absolutely nothing to do with Leave or Remain. You are an anti-democrat who puts partisanship above all else. You do not support a political party; you support a football team.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Unfair. Southam is one of a number of Remain voters on here who has made it clear at every stage that he believes we should abide by the vote and Leave the EU. Of course he has not wholeheartedly embraced it but his criticism has generally been constructive and based on a hope for a good Brexit.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,943

First preferences in Fortissat (North Lanarkshire):

Clare Quigley, Scottish Labour Party - 1,420
    John Jo Leckie, A Better Britain - Unionist Party - 858
    Mags Murphy, Scottish National Party - 761
    Norma McNab, Scottish Conservative and Unionist - 424
    Charlie Cefferty, Independent - 184
    Kyle Davidson, Scottish Green Party - 24
    Daryl Gardner, UK Independence Party (UKIP) - 18

Scottish local council by-elections are a nightmare. This was a Con defence although they only got 13% of the vote in May. The Conservative candidate elected did not sign his acceptance form which triggered the by-election. It was a nailed on labour gain.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    For amusement whilst a lot serious stuff is going on around the world.

https://twitter.com/DPRK_News/status/903985706107883520

• Options

The wording allows them to redefine the endpoint. And indeed to redefine anything else - at present, for instance, the powers don't allow them to alter human rights legislation without asking Parliament, but they allow them to alter that clause without consulting Parliament, after which they can.

I don't think they inten to right now, but at somne point they or another government will find itself in an emergency and will be tempted.
  • Options
    Sudbury South (Babergh)*

Cresswell (Lab) 336
    Sudbury (Con) 335
    Welsh (Lib) 116

Lab gain from Con

*I confess I don't have a clue on where Babergh is
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Unfair. Southam is one of a number of Remain voters on here who has made it clear at every stage that he believes we should abide by the vote and Leave the EU. Of course he has not wholeheartedly embraced it but his criticism has generally been constructive and based on a hope for a good Brexit.

Cheers Richard - I accepted the result on 24th June. I live in the UK, my kids are building their lives here and the business I work at and have a stake in has its HQ here. Of course I want Brexit to work out well. My problem is that from where I sit the government does not seem to have the first idea of what it's doing.

• Options

HYUFD said:

'Not wholeheartedly embraced it' I think is understatement of the decade! I say that as someone who voted Remain myself.

Of course there was not much criticism from the same Remain diehards when all this legislation from the EU was imposed on the UK with barely a whimper from Parliament as has been the case since the 1970s
  • Options
    Looks like a good night for Labour in the Scottish by-elections.
  • Options

Sudbury South (Babergh)*

Cresswell (Lab) 336
    Sudbury (Con) 335
    Welsh (Lib) 116

Lab gain from Con

South Suffolk....sad I know that without googling!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Of course there was not much criticism from the same Remain diehards when all this legislation from the EU was imposed on the UK with barely a whimper from Parliament as has been the case since the 1970s

On the contrary we often lamented the fact that parliamentarians like Nigel Farage and Daniel Hannan didn't do the jobs they were paid for.
  • Options

The wording allows them to redefine the endpoint. And indeed to redefine anything else - at present, for instance, the powers don't allow them to alter human rights legislation without asking Parliament, but they allow them to alter that clause without consulting Parliament, after which they can.

I don't think they inten to right now, but at somne point they or another government will find itself in an emergency and will be tempted.
    I have to say that is also what I find so scary about the 2004 Civil Contingencies Act which I assume you voted for. It has the power to amend or suspend all legislation except the 1998 Human Rights Act for up to 30 days on the say so of a minister.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sic semper tyrannis.

Actually

The people then elected

The will of the people was that no party should have a majority in the House of Commons. You support the Tory governments plan to over-ride the voters' decision. It has absolutely nothing to do with Leave or Remain. You are an anti-democrat who puts partisanship above all else. You do not support a political party; you support a football team.

The will of the people was that the Tories should have a majority in GB and the DUP be given the decision as to who should have a majority in the UK and hence a majority in the House of Commons, given the DUP backed the Tories there is nothing remotely undemocratic about it
  • Options

Sudbury South (Babergh)*

Cresswell (Lab) 336
    Sudbury (Con) 335
    Welsh (Lib) 116

Lab gain from Con

It contains the town of Sudbury, Suffolk. Visited the branch line railway way back in 2011 :)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sic semper tyrannis.

Actually

The people then elected

The will of the people was that the Tories should have a majority in GB and the DUP be given the decision as to who should have a majority in the UK and hence a majority in the House of Commons, given the DUP backed the Tories there is nothing remotely undemocratic about it
    I am not sure either of you can claim to know what the will of the people was. I doubt there were many individuals who voted on the basis of trying to engineer no overall majority.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited September 2017
    Thanks Sunil and DixieDean
  • Options

Cardonald (Glasgow)

Lab 2614
    SNP 1972
    Con 552
    Greens 147
    LD 80
    Libertarian 12

Passed through Cardonald station on the way to Ayr yesterday :)
  • Options

Sudbury South (Babergh)*

Cresswell (Lab) 336
    Sudbury (Con) 335
    Welsh (Lib) 116

Lab gain from Con

It contains the town of Sudbury, Suffolk. Visited the branch line railway way back in 2011 :)
    Amazing that Sudbury could not win in Sudbury!
  • Options

Good for Yes, no doubt.
  • Options
    CROYDON South Norwood

Patsy CUMMINGS (Labour Party) 1,671
    Rebecca NATRAJAN (The Conservative Party Candidate) 475
    Claire Elizabeth BONHAM (Liberal Democrats) 388
    Peter UNDERWOOD (Green Party) 218
    Michael SWADLING (UK Independence Party (UKIP)) 78

• Options

Jezza and Richard will win most seats for Labour in Scotland methinks at next GE
  • Options

Sic semper tyrannis.

Enough to stop this obscenity.

Can't see Dominic Grieve, Ken Clarke, nor Anna Soubry voting for this, so we need only four other Tory MPs to back democracy.
    But you believe in elected dictatorship - who's the hypocrite now?
    You miss the salient part of my plan.

I want to be the country's first Directly Elected Dictator, I will ask the people to give me those powers, then, and only then, will I assert those powers.

Mrs May is usurping power without a mandate to do so, where was this in her manifesto?
    Surely she will reorganise the United Kingdom into the First Galactic Empire - for a safe and secure society :)
  • Options

Sudbury South (Babergh)*

Cresswell (Lab) 336
    Sudbury (Con) 335
    Welsh (Lib) 116

Lab gain from Con

Labour has never won here ever.
  • Options

Sudbury South (Babergh)*

Cresswell (Lab) 336
    Sudbury (Con) 335
    Welsh (Lib) 116

Lab gain from Con

Not true, they won the county council seat.
  • Options
    slade said:

Sudbury South (Babergh)*

Cresswell (Lab) 336
    Sudbury (Con) 335
    Welsh (Lib) 116

Lab gain from Con

The real Sudbury is on the Piccadilly Line in London :)
  • Options

Sudbury South (Babergh)*

Cresswell (Lab) 336
    Sudbury (Con) 335
    Welsh (Lib) 116

Lab gain from Con

Until now.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Good for Yes, no doubt.
    If Labour gains at the expense of the SNP and the Tories hold close to a third of the vote that is good for Unionism
  • Options

HYUFD said:

On the contrary we often lamented the fact that parliamentarians like Nigel Farage and Daniel Hannan didn't do the jobs they were paid for.
    Neither were MPs
  • Options

Sic semper tyrannis.

Can't see Dominic Grieve, Ken Clarke, nor Anna Soubry voting for this, so we need only four other Tory MPs to back democracy.
    But you believe in elected dictatorship - who's the hypocrite now?
    You miss the salient part of my plan.

I want to be the country's first Directly Elected Dictator, I will ask the people to give me those powers, then, and only then, will I assert those powers.

Mrs May is usurping power without a mandate to do so, where was this in her manifesto?
    Surely she will reorganise the United Kingdom into the First Galactic Empire - for a safe and secure society :)
    Surely the Fourth British Empire? ;)
  • Options

I have to say that is also what I find so scary about the 2004 Civil Contingencies Act which I assume you voted for. It has the power to amend or suspend all legislation except the 1998 Human Rights Act for up to 30 days on the say so of a minister.
    Yes, fair response!
  • Options
    slade said:

Sudbury South (Babergh)*

Cresswell (Lab) 336
    Sudbury (Con) 335
    Welsh (Lib) 116

Lab gain from Con

Not true, they won the county council seat.
    Election maps UK reckons Labour have never won this seat.

Is County Council seat the same boundaries?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,055
    edited September 2017
  • Options
    slade said:

Sudbury South (Babergh)*

Cresswell (Lab) 336
    Sudbury (Con) 335
    Welsh (Lib) 116

Lab gain from Con

The Sudburys do not have a happy record. Simon of that ilk was chancellor of England but was killed by the peasants in the revolt of 1381.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Neither were MPs
    You were talking about European legislation. They were/are members of the parliament that scrutinises it.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:
    Difficult to spin a bar chart from that, goodnight
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,055
    Just been watching Polly on Newsnight... Don't think she's a fan of JRM? ;)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Neither were MPs
    You were talking about European legislation. They were/are members of the parliament that scrutinises it.
    Of which British members were a minority
  • Options
    Lab gain Hednesford Green Heath from Con.
  • Options
    Green gain Lewes from Con
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Just been watching Polly on Newsnight... Don't think she's a fan of JRM? ;)

I am going to guess the feeling is mutual from chumley-Warner.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Neither were MPs
    And I think you'll find those two didn't just vote in favour of all legislation that was passed. Yet it passed anyway not with the votes necessarily of our nation.
  • Options
    It's a terrrrrrrrrible night for the Tories:

https://twitter.com/andrewteale/status/905938323822301184
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Just woke up to a Thursday night massacre!
  • Options
    surbiton said:

As the locals showed earlier this year, local by-elections don't tell us much :p
  • Options
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

As the locals showed earlier this year, local by-elections don't tell us much :p
    The Tories should appeal to the ECHR. This kind of massacre must be against basic human rights.

But you don't believe in ECHR !
  • Options
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

The Tories should appeal to the ECHR. This kind of massacre must be against basic human rights.

But you don't believe in ECHR !
    Yeah, thank god the ECHR came along in 1953 and turned us from our savage ways.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

What we need is nighthawks back. It is the only place for stories like this.

https://twitter.com/foxinsoxuk/status/905891651201245190

Hmm... Britain gets stuck in the window while trying to climb out after leaving a message for its partner on an unsuccessful date?
  • Options

Sic semper tyrannis.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4386068/no-tory-mps-will-rebel-on-eu-repeal-bill-claims-leading-remainer-anna-soubry-after-theresa-may-warns-backbenchers-not-to-thwart-brexit/
  • Options
    Does anyone think Trump's recent flirtation with Democrats could be an insurance policy against impeachment proceedings in 2019 ? He is definitely moving away from Republicans.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Sic semper tyrannis.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4386068/no-tory-mps-will-rebel-on-eu-repeal-bill-claims-leading-remainer-anna-soubry-after-theresa-may-warns-backbenchers-not-to-thwart-brexit/
    Soubry: "I am cross... that people said there was any chance people like me were going to vote against it.
  • Options

Charles said:

Sic semper tyrannis.

Soubry: "I am cross... that people said there was any chance people like me were going to vote against it.
    Don't let facts get in the way
  • Options
    Other than repeating stats of the racial make up of the prison population (which we already knew) there isn't any facts presented in the bbc report to backup the claim of old Mr mastermind of racial bias,

BAME offenders: Bias 'needs to be tackled'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41191311
This discussion has been closed.