Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There’s a case for saying that Johnson’s the best equipped to

13»

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

GIN1138 said:

On topic:
    twitter.com/jameschappers/status/896830932124041217

Is he still making a fool of himself?
    Boris? Probably, but he seems to have been sidelined.

Anyway, Boris is unimportant. The true story of the day is Clarks Shoes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40916607

It is such an ugly shoe....
    Clever advertising.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Sean_F said:

GeoffM said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

I notice the KKK lovers are quite numerous on PB.

One regular poster is an Exalted Cyclops.
    If you mean me, I made it up to Great Titan last year. I'm running the whole Province now.

Interestingly, my replacement as Exalted Cyclops is a black man. We're much more inclusive these days.
    Congratulations on your promotion.
    Much appreciated, thanks!

If you're ever in this part of the world, we've started a family quiz night on the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of the month.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,313

Charles said:

Charles said:

Ishmael_Z

You may have a point about my rudimentary education, as I am struggling to make head or tail of what on earth you are talking about.

I suspect you are suggesting that it was OK for the Nazis to lawfully march on Charlottesville, but it was not OK for the Anti-Nazis to lawfully object as that was confrontational and it upset the Nazis. The result was one of them felt so justifiably outraged that he had to drive his car through the crowd of annoying Anti- Nazis. Yep! It was the young lady's fault she got mowed down by a ****-wit. I think I have it now!

1. It was ok for the protesters, some of whom may have been Nazis and many of whom were most likely deeply unpleasant, to protest

2. While legal, it was inflammatory of the antis to protest in person

3. I have no idea who started the fight but once it became a general brawl both sides were culpable

4. As for the murder, I don't know whether the individual came from Phio intending to do was he did or whether it was a crime of passion (the fact that the DA has gone for second degree murder suggests a lack of evidence of intention). However he clearly bears sole responsibility for his actions

5. What we can say, though, is that in inflaming the situation the antis contributed to the circumstances in which this awful crime happened, so they have a degree of indirect culpability

Basically turning up to shout aggressively at a bunch of thick tattooed blokes on steroids is unlikely to promote peace and harmony. If you tried that in my local you'd deserve everything you got
    Due to my inferior education and intellect to your own I am still finding it difficult to agree with your rationale.

From a simpleton's point of view I will help you out with how I see the issue. Fascists (KKK, Nazis, call them what you like) have some pretty controversial views. I think it is wholly proper that people who disagree with those views make efforts to counter them so that people who have previously only been furnished with the fascist viewpoint can weigh up the alternative. If the fascists then get a bit uppity about that alternative view being promoted, and they decide to kill and maim their opposers, the culpability is wholly with the fascists.

Simple really!

Debate with them. Defeat their arguments. Turning up and calling them Nazis doesn't help.

Simple really
    Perhaps we can at least agree that people carrying Nazi flags and wearing Hitler T shirts may reasonably be described as Nazis?

You may find that several people on PB will struggle with your deduction!
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,323
    Danny565 said:
    Mogg to abolish income tax! Fair enough, but he needs to spell out precisely how he'll make up the shortfall, otherwise Labour will have a field day suggesting he'll close down the NHS.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Charles said:

Charles said:

Ishmael_Z

You may have a point about my rudimentary education, as I am struggling to make head or tail of what on earth you are talking about.

I suspect you are suggesting that it was OK for the Nazis to lawfully march on Charlottesville, but it was not OK for the Anti-Nazis to lawfully object as that was confrontational and it upset the Nazis. The result was one of them felt so justifiably outraged that he had to drive his car through the crowd of annoying Anti- Nazis. Yep! It was the young lady's fault she got mowed down by a ****-wit. I think I have it now!

1. It was ok for the protesters, some of whom may have been Nazis and many of whom were most likely deeply unpleasant, to protest

3. I have no idea who started the fight but once it became a general brawl both sides were culpable

4. As for the murder, I don't know whether the individual came from Phio intending to do was he did or whether it was a crime of passion (the fact that the DA has gone for second degree murder suggests a lack of evidence of intention). However he clearly bears sole responsibility for his actions

5. What we can say, though, is that in inflaming the situation the antis contributed to the circumstances in which this awful crime happened, so they have a degree of indirect culpability

Basically turning up to shout aggressively at a bunch of thick tattooed blokes on steroids is unlikely to promote peace and harmony. If you tried that in my local you'd deserve everything you got
    Due to my inferior education and intellect to your own I am still finding it difficult to agree with your rationale.

From a simpleton's point of view I will help you out with how I see the issue.

Simple really!

Debate with them. Defeat their arguments. Turning up and calling them Nazis doesn't help.

Simple really
    Perhaps we can at least agree that people carrying Nazi flags and wearing Hitler T shirts may reasonably be described as Nazis?

I expect that they were just professors of social history wanting to preserve the historical record.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    tlg86 said:

GIN1138 said:

On topic:

Clever advertising.
    So clever they have withdrawn the product?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

tlg86 said:

GIN1138 said:

On topic:

Clever advertising.
    It's reminded people about Clarks at time when parents will be thinking about buying school shoes.
  • Options

Danny565 said:
    Mogg to abolish income tax! Fair enough, but he needs to spell out precisely how he'll make up the shortfall, otherwise Labour will have a field day suggesting he'll close down the NHS.
    What makes me laugh is the fact that some Tories believe that either Boris or JRM would make a credible leader of their party.
  • Options
    Someone on the bbc paper review says a poll tonight puts the conservatives in the.lead - seems 42. - 39

No idea if it is true
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,953

Someone on the bbc paper review says a poll tonight puts the conservatives in the.lead - seems 42. - 39

No idea if it is true

BMG.
  • Options

Danny565 said:
    What makes me laugh is the fact that some Tories believe that either Boris or JRM would make a credible leader of their party.
    I think both could be good leaders of the opposition :)
  • Options

Danny565 said:
    That argument has been weakened by over-use. They accuse *everyone* of wanting to close down the NHS.

Annoyingly, nobody except me actually does.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

GIN1138 said:

On topic:

Clever advertising.
    It's reminded people about Clarks at time when parents will be thinking about buying school shoes.
    Most parents do not need reminding. It is hard to get decent, hardwearing kids shoes anywhere else.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Ishmael_Z

From a simpleton's point of view I will help you out with how I see the issue.

Simple really!

Simple really

I expect that they were just professors of social history wanting to preserve the historical record.
    A sort of Nazi Sealed Knot Society?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,996
    edited August 2017

No idea if it is true

Remarkably, it seems that the pattern established after Brexit is continuing. People not really changing their minds post-vote (this is MOE territory after all).
    No sign of either a Govt honeymoon, or a swing to the opposition.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

No idea if it is true

Remarkably, it seems that the pattern established after Brexit is continuing. People not really changing their minds post-vote (this is MOE territory after all).
    Also, as was mentioned on an earlier thread one of the most inaccurate pollsters of GE2017
  • Options

Danny565 said:
    May as well have a USP! After all, being the wealthy Old Etonian isn't one any more.
  • Options
    Not sure if we've had the latest JRM promotional email retweeted on here tonight so here it is, hot from my Inbox:

Dear Geoffrey,

We're so excited!

Jacob has indicated to friends that he'll run for leader when the time is right!

While it's great to know that our work so far will not be in vain, it also means we have to work twice as hard to build a campaign that the Conservative establishment will be trying to stop.

Grassroots movements happen when friends talk to friends and tell them to get involved.

One of the best ways to spark conversation about Jacob running for leader is by showing your support right now. Add the banner below to your Facebook or Twitter profile pictures:

CLICK HERE TO ADD BANNER TO YOUR PROFILE PICTURE

Jacob has what it takes to lead the Conservative Party and reignite Britain's promise.

As we push on with our plans to ensure Jacob becomes leader, we need your support more than ever before.

Sincerely,

Anne
    Co-founder, Ready for Rees-Mogg
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Danny565 said:
    That argument has been weakened by over-use. They accuse *everyone* of wanting to close down the NHS.

True, but if the Tories are going to abolish income tax that's about 180 billion a year they'll have to find from somewhere. The NHS will surely have to go, and they'll still need to find another 60 billion on top! In that scenario Labour's claims will sound utterly credible. Dangerous politics from Mogg.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    edited August 2017
    Charles said:

rkrkrk said:

Charles said:

Ishmael_Z

Impressive to go from "he clearly bears sole responsibility" to you'd deserve everything you got in just one bullet point.
    Direct responsibility vs indirect culpability. Big difference.

He should go to prison. They shouldn't. But they should consider whether their presence in some way contributed to this senseless killing
    Do you always blame victims of terrorism or just when carried out by white Christians? A lot of double standards on here by pb tonight, next pbers will claim he had mental illness.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

GIN1138 said:

On topic:

Clever advertising.
    Most parents do not need reminding. It is hard to get decent, hardwearing kids shoes anywhere else.
    Annoyingly, if you spend the money on Clark's they grow out of them. You have a perfectly good pair of shoes headed for the charity shop. If you don't they fall to bits anyway.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    Scott_P said:
    Rushed? It's been over a year since the vote, and the negotiations have bearly started.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,065
    GeoffM said:

Danny565 said:

I would like to return the state to the position prior to the First World War, so brilliantly evoked by AJP Taylor.

Nevertheless, if you are going to propose the abolition of income tax as well as reductions in some other taxes (such as stamp duty), then you should indicate how the books will be balanced. If we are to cast aside fiscal rectitude altogether, then we end up with a succession of governments, with each in turn proposing higher spending and lower taxes. Sort of like Greece, only without the nice weather.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

Danny565 said:

True, but if the Tories are going to abolish income tax that's about 180 billion a year they'll have to find from somewhere. The NHS will surely have to go, and they'll still need to find another 60 billion on top! In that scenario Labour's claims will sound utterly credible. Dangerous politics from Mogg.
    Surely Trident would have to go under that scenario?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

GeoffM said:

Danny565 said:

Its not all bad...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,790
    GeoffM said:

Danny565 said:

What would you have in it's place Geoff - a US-style system?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

On topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgLz6glUfGc
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Not sure if we've had the latest JRM promotional email retweeted on here tonight so here it is, hot from my Inbox:

Dear Geoffrey,

We're so excited!

Jacob has indicated to friends that he'll run for leader when the time is right!

While it's great to know that our work so far will not be in vain, it also means we have to work twice as hard to build a campaign that the Conservative establishment will be trying to stop.

Grassroots movements happen when friends talk to friends and tell them to get involved.

One of the best ways to spark conversation about Jacob running for leader is by showing your support right now. Add the banner below to your Facebook or Twitter profile pictures:

CLICK HERE TO ADD BANNER TO YOUR PROFILE PICTURE

Jacob has what it takes to lead the Conservative Party and reignite Britain's promise.

As we push on with our plans to ensure Jacob becomes leader, we need your support more than ever before.

Sincerely,

Anne
    Co-founder, Ready for Rees-Mogg

Very much the language of Momentum. (I received numerous similar sounding e-mails during the Election campaign). At least someone in the Conservative Party paid attention.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,065
    Charles said:

If you tried that in my local you'd deserve everything you got

There may be harder places to pick a fight than NW8, but I'm struggling to think of one.
  • Options

Danny565 said:
    I think both could be good leaders of the opposition :)
    Perfect. Ideally they could both be leaders of the two Tory factions after the Brexit induced split :D:D
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

GeoffM said:

Danny565 said:

Why? Depending on who you believe Trident will cost between £1b and £6b a year which isn't even a rounding error in this context.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

Danny565 said:

Yes. There are only two models of healthcare in existence. The NHS and the US model,

It's a stark choice but unfortunately there are no other options. The different flavours of insurance-based systems in Europe and elsewhere are figments of our imagination.

Sheesh
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Danny565 said:

Yes. There are only two models of healthcare in existence. The NHS and the US model,

It's a stark choice but unfortunately there are no other options. The different flavours of insurance-based systems in Europe and elsewhere are figments of our imagination.

Sheesh
    The US system costs more per capita than ours.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    GeoffM said:

dixiedean said:

GeoffM said:

Danny565 said:

Why? Depending on who you believe Trident will cost between £1b and £6b a year which isn't even a rounding error in this context.
    There are quite a few rounding errors in that scenario....But which ones will he choose?
  • Options

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Danny565 said:

Sheesh
    The US system costs more per capita than ours.
    More than twice as much. $9,451 per capita in the US versus $4,003 in the UK (using $ PPP).

But at least the US get's the benefit of higher life expectancy. Oh, wait...
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Danny565 said:

Sheesh

You may be right, there are no other options. Indeed there is only one rational option, which why virtually nobod except you (and maybe Rees-Mogg) wants to get rid of the NHS.

EDIT: I seem to remember @Freetochoose wanted to stop paying NI and opt out of the NHS (even though NI is supposed to fund the state pension not the NHS).
  • Options

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Danny565 said:

Sheesh

You may be right, there are no other options. Indeed there is only one rational option, which why virtually nobod except you (and maybe Rees-Mogg) wants to get rid of the NHS.
    How many other countries have adopted an identical system to the NHS?

Please provide your answer to the nearest "None" to avoid rounding errors.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Danny565 said:

Sheesh

There are many other systems, each with its own problems and some with advantages. Most have significant downsides too, but as well as the choice there is the transition.

Rich, healthy people favour consumerist systems, poorer sicker people favour systems with no upfront charges and universal access. The janitor appreciates getting the same care as the CEO, but that appreciation is not mutual.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,995

EDIT: I seem to remember @Freetochoose wanted to stop paying NI and opt out of the NHS (even though NI is supposed to fund the state pension not the NHS).

If you want to make sure you have a low effective tax rate in the UK, make sure you're over 65 and living off investment income.
    Stark contrast to a plan II graduate heading into a PAYE job...
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Danny565 said:

Sheesh

I can't be arsed to add them all up but it's certainly not "none". Sweden, Norway, Canada, New Zealand and Australia all spring to mind. Take a trawl through the following:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_systems_by_country

I think you'll find that for the majority of developed countries health care is built around a publicly funded service.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If you want to make sure you have a low effective tax rate in the UK, make sure you're over 65 and living off investment income.
    Stark contrast to a plan II graduate heading into a PAYE job...
    Indeed - it's very inequitable.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Danny565 said:

Sheesh

There are many other systems, each with its own problems and some with advantages. Most have significant downsides too, but as well as the choice there is the transition.

Rich, healthy people favour consumerist systems, poorer sicker people favour systems with no upfront charges and universal access. The janitor appreciates getting the same care as the CEO, but that appreciation is not mutual.
    Nicely put.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Danny565 said:

Sheesh

I can't be arsed to add them all up but it's certainly not "none". Sweden, Norway, Canada, New Zealand and Australia all spring to mind. Take a trawl through the following:

I think you'll find that for the majority of developed countries health care is built around a publicly funded service.
    Throwing varying degrees of socialism at healthcare doesn't make them copies of the NHS.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

GeoffM said:

Danny565 said:

I would like to return the state to the position prior to the First World War, so brilliantly evoked by AJP Taylor.

Nevertheless, if you are going to propose the abolition of income tax as well as reductions in some other taxes (such as stamp duty), then you should indicate how the books will be balanced. If we are to cast aside fiscal rectitude altogether, then we end up with a succession of governments, with each in turn proposing higher spending and lower taxes. Sort of like Greece, only without the nice weather.
    It's not that nice. I just did a very agreeable family holiday in Corfu and the average daily high was 38-40C. So hot you do not move from the villa and the pool. Ever.

We had a great time, but, wow. TOO hot really is a thing, it turns out.
    There really is no escape. Once you get above body temperature, your metabolism kicks into cooling you down. Spent long evenings in the altogether with a high-powered fan pointing at me privates. I feel your pain. Longed for a drizzly Lancashire day. The difference between 35 and 40 degrees really is unbearable.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TRUMP IS GREAT, I'M GLAD NAZIS ARE RUNNING OVER COMMIES

That has been discussed...
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Danny565 said:

Sheesh

Throwing varying degrees of socialism at healthcare doesn't make them copies of the NHS.
    Well, no country's health care system is identical to any other's - but what does that prove?

Anyway, abolishing the NHS is about as likely a winning policy in the UK as making French the official language - neither is going to happen!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,366
    dixiedean said:

No idea if it is true

I wouldn't be surprised. For most people, not much is actually happening in domestic politics - Ministers are squabbling but getting most of the coverage, Corbyn is making some speeches, and that's about all for most people. I'd expect broad deadlock to continue until the conference season at least, or until there is some clarity on the direction of Brexit.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

dixiedean said:

SeanT said:

Whoever got run over was probably a pinko so they deserved it. Wankers. I hope this brave if over-ambitious driver gets off and has an asteroid named after him.
    A right-winger who can both construct a logical argument and exhibit self-awareness. Not many of them to the euro atm.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Danny565 said:

Sheesh

Well, no country's health care system is identical to any other's - but what does that prove?

Anyway, abolishing the NHS is about as likely a winning policy in the UK as making French the official language - neither is going to happen!
    Agree its not going to happen.

I'm the only person who really wants it and I've used up all my Illuminati credit points on getting Brexit and Trump.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

dixiedean said:

SeanT said:

Whoever got run over was probably a pinko so they deserved it. Wankers. I hope this brave if over-ambitious driver gets off and has an asteroid named after him.
    She was a hot looking chick- you would have approved! The driver on the other hand is a dork!

*apologies for the inappropriate sexist language*
  • Options
    SeanT said:

dixiedean said:

No idea if it is true

I wouldn't be surprised. For most people, not much is actually happening in domestic politics - Ministers are squabbling but getting most of the coverage, Corbyn is making some speeches, and that's about all for most people. I'd expect broad deadlock to continue until the conference season at least, or until there is some clarity on the direction of Brexit.
    Politics - like politicalbetting.com - has become weirdly BORING, even though major things are happening.

I suspect we are seeing a kind of hangover effect, a "subdrop", if you will (for those in the BDSM community).

From Scottish indyref to election 2015 to Corbyn, Brexit and Trump we had an astonishing series of exciting and unprecedented political events. A diet so rich and sugary, for us anoraks, a supper of caviar in honey would appear austere in comparison.

What we have now is the pensive, tedious rebound. Everyone has supped too well. The feast is over, the tankards are scattered, and the wolfhounds snooze by the dying embers of the hearth. Occasionally someone burps, then falls asleep again. That is all.

Night night.

Subdrop! Now you are talking a language I understand! No wolfhounds though, just a cat who snores,
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,160
    SeanT said:

dixiedean said:

No idea if it is true

Politics - like politicalbetting.com - has become weirdly BORING, even though major things are happening.

I suspect we are seeing a kind of hangover effect, a "subdrop", if you will (for those in the BDSM community).

From Scottish indyref to election 2015 to Corbyn, Brexit and Trump we had an astonishing series of exciting and unprecedented political events. A diet so rich and sugary, for us anoraks, a supper of caviar in honey would appear austere in comparison.

What we have now is the pensive, tedious rebound. Everyone has supped too well. The feast is over, the tankards are scattered, and the wolfhounds snooze by the dying embers of the hearth. Occasionally someone burps, then falls asleep again. That is all.

Night night.

If PBers want some political excitement this week I am standing in the Epping Hemnall Town Council by election on Thursday
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

dixiedean said:

No idea if it is true

Night night.

If PBers want some political excitement this week I am standing in the Epping Hemnall Town Council by election on Thursday
    Do you

a) Want to win ?
    b) Have a realistic shot ?
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    SeanT said:

The sheer amount of major political betting events with liquid markets from May 2015 through to June 2017 was astounding.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

dixiedean said:

No idea if it is true

Night night.

Do you

a) Want to win ?
    a) Yes
    b) I am the Tory candidate and it is currently Tory held but 2/3 of the ward district councillors are LD and the last town council elections were on the same day as the 2015 general election. So yes I have a chance and have been campaigning but it will be a tough battle, though if we can get our voters out we have a real shot at it
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

dixiedean said:

No idea if it is true

Night night.

Do you

a) Want to win ?
    a) Yes
    b) I am the Tory candidate and it is currently Tory held but 2/3 of the ward district councillors are LD and the last town council elections were in 2015 so yes I have a chance and have been campaigning but it will be a tough battle, though if we can get our voters out we have a real shot at it
    Are these the 2015 results?

http://www.eppingtowncouncil.gov.uk/single-post/2015/05/08/Election-Result-Hemnall-Ward
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    GeoffM said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

dixiedean said:

No idea if it is true

Night night.

Do you

a) Want to win ?
    a) Yes
    b) I am the Tory candidate and it is currently Tory held but 2/3 of the ward district councillors are LD and the last town council elections were in 2015 so yes I have a chance and have been campaigning but it will be a tough battle, though if we can get our voters out we have a real shot at it

http://www.eppingtowncouncil.gov.uk/single-post/2015/05/08/Election-Result-Hemnall-Ward
    Yes, though I also have the local plan issue to contend with so am making clear I favour prioritising brownbelt land for any development. Anyway only a few more days campaigning to go and will post the result on Friday morning
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

GeoffM said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

dixiedean said:

No idea if it is true

Night night.

Do you

a) Want to win ?
    a) Yes

Yes, though I also have the local plan issue to contend with so am making clear I favour prioritising brownbelt land for any development. Anyway only a few more days campaigning to go and will post the result on Friday morning
    Best of luck - sincerely.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

HYUFD said:

GeoffM said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

dixiedean said:

No idea if it is true

Night night.

Do you

a) Want to win ?
    a) Yes

Best of luck - sincerely.
    Thanks, much appreciated. Night
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited August 2017
    Jesus christ just watching the bbc silicon valley programme and they rightly call out brietbart for fake news and then they give the canary a plug with no criticism for doing the same.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Jesus christ just watching the bbc silicon valley programme and they rightly call out brietbart for fake news and then they give the canary a plug with no criticism for doing the same.

One man's fake news... :p
  • Options
    RobD said:

One man's fake news... :p
    Indeed. I have never seen the canary (?) but once you get past their pet in-house hangups I find Breitbart extremely informative. I'm quite active below the line there under a new Disqus account.
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    edited August 2017
    Charles said:

"First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Socialist.
    Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Trade Unionist.
    Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Jew.
    Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me."
    Martin Niemöller

Niemoller is an inspirational man.

He was an exception in his later views, and he survived the war, unlike most of the Nazis' targets. In WW1 he served as an officer, and latterly commander, on U-boats, and was awarded the Iron Cross First Class for being particularly successful in sinking Allied shipping. He was a national conservative and initially a supporter of the Fuhrer, and expressed strongly anti-semitic views before he was arrested.

Most of the Lutheran church fully supported the 3rd Reich, which was putting some of Luther's core Christian views into practice in its crusade against non-believers.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Ishmael_Z

From a simpleton's point of view I will help you out with how I see the issue. Fascists (KKK, Nazis, call them what you like) have some pretty controversial views. I think it is wholly proper that people who disagree with those views make efforts to counter them so that people who have previously only been furnished with the fascist viewpoint can weigh up the alternative. If the fascists then get a bit uppity about that alternative view being promoted, and they decide to kill and maim their opposers, the culpability is wholly with the fascists.

Simple really!

Simple really
    They are walking around with Swastikas and Seig Heiling.

They are Nazis.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,362
    edited August 2017
    daodao said:

Charles said:

"First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Socialist.
    Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Trade Unionist.
    Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Jew.
    Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me."
    Martin Niemöller

Niemoller is an inspirational man.

He was an exception in his later views, and he survived the war, unlike most of the Nazis' targets. In WW1 he served as an officer, and latterly commander, on U-boats, and was awarded the Iron Cross First Class for being particularly successful in sinking Allied shipping. He was a national conservative and initially a supporter of the Fuhrer, and expressed strongly anti-semitic views before he was arrested.

Most of the Lutheran church fully supported the 3rd Reich, which was putting some of Luther's core Christian views into practice in its crusade against non-believers.
    The Lutheran church explicitly and repeatedly rejected cooperation with Hitler, to the latter's great frustration as he wanted it on his side. He even offered it established church status but it was rejected. That was the reason Niemoller left to found the Confessing Church.

Claims to the contrary are easily traced to Christopher Hitchens (repeated by Richard Dawkins). Hitchens also believed that David Irving was not a Holocaust Denier, that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction and that smoking cigarettes wouldn't damage his health.
This discussion has been closed.