Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The betting sentiment is moving away from David Davis for next

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited July 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The betting sentiment is moving away from David Davis for next CON leader but he’s still favourite

David Davis slipping sharply in next CON leader betting. Charts via @betdatapolitics pic.twitter.com/akvBtxiW2U

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    edited July 2017
    Just look at Jacob - and first by the way
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Anyone betting on Jacob is cream crackers,
  • Options
    Just caught up on Diane Abbott on ITV re police number. It is getting hideously embarrassing and she is shadow home secretary
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Davis Johnson Rees Mogg Hammond Rudd.

LOL!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Joint second favourite

My post in the previous thread:

Good discussion with Jacob Rees Mogg and Caroline Flint with Boulton on Sky and remarkable agreement between them. We tend to have sub titles on sometimes in our old age and it was hilarious when Jacob responded to Boulton re Heseltine and Blair interventions in Latin and the sub titles couldn't handle it.

It may be unlikely but Jacob is getting a cult following (where have we heard that before)
  • Options
    Roger said:

LOL!!!!!!

Politics is fun Roger
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595

Joint second favourite

Good discussion with Jacob Rees Mogg and Caroline Flint with Boulton on Sky and remarkable agreement between them. We tend to have sub titles on sometimes in our old age and it was hilarious when Jacob responded to Boulton re Heseltine and Blair interventions in Latin and the sub titles couldn't handle it.

It may be unlikely but Jacob is getting a cult following (where have we heard that before)
    I thought it was the Speaker's job he really wanted?
  • Options

Roger said:

LOL!!!!!!

Politics is fun Roger
    Are they looking for a leader or doing a remake of 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest?
  • Options
    dodrade said:

Joint second favourite

I thought it was the Speaker's job he really wanted?
    He did but he is being talked up by many and really Speaker rather than PM
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

LOL!!!!!!

Politics is fun Roger
    Are they looking for a leader or doing a remake of 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest?
    Who knows anything these days. Vince coming out in support of Hammond and hitting out at Corbyn's Venezuela economics was a surprise but welcome
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    Jacob's Technicolour Dream Chart
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited July 2017

Roger said:

Roger said:

LOL!!!!!!

Politics is fun Roger
    Who knows anything these days. Vince coming out in support of Hammond and hitting out at Corbyn's Venezuela economics was a surprise but welcome
    Why on earth would you be surprised that someone who happily went into government with the Tories for 5 years, vocally supporting most of that government's flagship policies, would prefer a Tory leader over Labour?

Where PBers got this idea of Cable being a "leftie" from is beyond me.
  • Options
    OT I was shooting an Opel 4x4 commercial in Spain with a male and a female model and after shooting for three days the male somehow discovered that the girl was being paid twice as much as he was. (Quite simply she had a better agent).

Nonetheless knowing he had us over a barrel he said he wouldn't continue unless he got the same as her. The production company were scared shi*less. I asked if I could speak to him that evening. They said I could but it wouldn't do any good. He and his agent were adamant.

I met him that night and told him that I would re shoot all his scenes and he could go back to Paris. At six o'clock the following morning he apologised.

It seems good negotiators are hard to come by........

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/20/ten-female-presenters-considering-suing-bbc-pay-dispute/
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289

Indeed. It would be the Tories' final detachment from reality.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

LOL!!!!!!

Politics is fun Roger
    Why on earth would you be surprised that someone who happily went into government with the Tories for 5 years, vocally supporting most of that government's flagship policies, would prefer a Tory leader over Labour?

Where PBers got this idea of Cable being a "leftie" from is beyond me.
    He was a Lab councillor in Glasgow way back when
  • Options
    Jonathan said:
    Is Karen Bradley really being talked up as a potential leadership candidate?!?

I just had to search her name to remind myself who she was.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    It's a choice of evils if ever the was one.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2017
    Roger said:

OT I was shooting an Opel 4x4 commercial in Spain with a male and a female model and after shooting for three days the male somehow discovered that the girl was being paid twice as much as he was. (Quite simply she had a better agent).

Nonetheless knowing he had us over a barrel he said he wouldn't continue unless he got the same as her. The production company were scared shi*less. I asked if I could speak to him that evening. They said I could but it wouldn't do any good. He and his agent were adamant.

I met him that night and told him that I would re shoot all his scenes and he could go back to Paris. At six o'clock the following morning he apologised.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/20/ten-female-presenters-considering-suing-bbc-pay-dispute/

None of that nonsense will be needed now...

https://m.slashdot.org/story/328943

The machines are coming for their jobs.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited July 2017
    How long before crossover occurs with Davis/Hammond/Boris and JRM? ;)
  • Options

Anyone betting on Corbyn at this point in 2015 would've been a cream cracker... And now look where we are. ;)
  • Options
    How much is the BBC paying Katya Adler?

I think she's excellent.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Roger said:

Very interesting. Very brilliant. Not quite perfect but I'm glad I'm not just starting out. Creativity is being replaced by tricks
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    @jdportes: UK beginning to accept administrative & political reality. One of the more minor concessions that will be required...

https://twitter.com/BBCHelenaLee/status/888138846088638465
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

How much is the BBC paying Katya Adler?

I think she's excellent.

Is she one of the ten apparently planning to sue the BBC? :D

• Options

@jdportes: UK beginning to accept administrative & political reality. One of the more minor concessions that will be required...

Didn't even know OJ was here!
  • Options

Roger said:

Every part done in camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCmhR2JK1VE
  • Options
    isam said:

Didn't even know OJ was here!
    :D
  • Options
    The betting market movements on the next CON leader seem to me a reflection that Theresa May is more secure than she was a week or two back.
  • Options
    Looks like Phil Hammond has got a two year transition deal devised, and crucially everyone in the cabinet is backing him

https://twitter.com/BBCHelenaLee/status/888147234969313281
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

The betting market movements on the next CON leader seem to me a reflection that Theresa May is more secure than she was a week or two back.

The key determinant of who is next Tory leader is when the contest occurs. If it is pre Brexit then it would be because the progress is looking very poor indeed. This may necessitate a firm believer, but is unlikely to be DD or BoJo as they would be heavily tarred by things going badly. JRM fits the bill here. Less likely would be a continuity Remain candidate, which is where Hammond comes in.

If the contest is post Brexit, we are not in Kansas anymore, and whether someone believes in Brexit or not becomes obsolete.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    dr_spyn said:
    "Poetry has been Bury Bury good to me"

Seen at Bury tram station.
  • Options
    Can't see free movement continuing until after the next general election.

https://twitter.com/BBCHelenaLee/status/888149907948933121
  • Options
    The British cabinet has accepted that free movement of people for up to four years after Britain leaves the EU will be part of a Brexit transition deal, according to a senior source.

As the EU chief negotiator, Michel Barnier, underlined the need for clarity on the British side at the end of the latest round of exit negotiations, soft Brexiters in the cabinet are now confident they have achieved a consensus about an “off the shelf” transition deal.

The claim that a collective view has been reached comes after weeks of a brutal briefing war over competing visions of Brexit since the general election wiped out Theresa May’s majority, culminating in the prime minister’s admonition this week that there is “no such thing as an unsackable minister”, and sowing confusion in Brussels about the reliability of the British negotiating position.

But as David Davis concluded Brexit talks in Brussels on Thursday, the senior cabinet source told the Guardian that the mood has shifted significantly and that ministers now hoped to agree a deal as soon as possible to give certainty to British business.

“If you ask business when they want to see it agreed, they’d say tomorrow,” the source said, adding that such a deal could last up to four years – but more likely three – and could be expected to involve continued free movement of people.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/20/cabinet-accepts-brexit-transition-will-mean-years-of-free-movement?CMP=share_btn_tw
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Boring

We won. LAB lost

Fack off Labour
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079

the source said, adding that such a deal could last up to four years – but more likely three – and could be expected to involve continued free movement of people.

Ten years it is then. :)
  • Options

the source said, adding that such a deal could last up to four years – but more likely three – and could be expected to involve continued free movement of people.

Ten years it is then. :)
    Best make it 25 years so we can get it sorted out properly.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    I missed this comment from Trump about Macron...
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/07/anything-you-can-do-trump-can-do-better/534360/
    “He’s a great guy. Smart. Strong. Loves holding my hand.” And then: “People don’t realize he loves holding my hand.” And yet again: “I think he is going to be a terrific president of France. But he does love holding my hand.”

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,826
    @Richard_Tyndall

...I am happy to report that the tests, whilst very uncomfortable, have shown no signs of the dreaded cancer and there will be further examinations to see if I have kidney stones...

Excellent! You’ll be up and around in no time. And perhaps one day you and I shall meet on the field of battle and I will destroy you for the glory of the Sontaran Empire. Now try and get some rest.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Merton - St Helier by-election

Lab 1508
    Con 318
    LD 98
    Green 61
    UKIP 15

• Options
    I have always been a strong believer in BBC impartiality but after seeing Suzanne Evans on Newsnight I'm having to reconsider. Why would someone put her on other than to prove how vacuous and absurd the Leave case is?

Come on BBC pull your socks up. Your slip is showing (excuse the tangled metafor but that's what Susanne Evans does to you)
  • Options
    Roger said:

I have always been a strong believer in BBC impartiality but after seeing Suzanne Evans on Newsnight I'm having to reconsider. Why would someone put her on other than to prove how vacuous and absurd the Leave case is?

Come on BBC pull your socks up. Your slip is showing (excuse the tangled metafor but that's what Susanne Evans does to you)

Phuckin ell!
  • Options
    Looks like Portillo gets paid more than Liz for TW!

https://twitter.com/bbcthisweek/status/888169593453391874
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Green is First Sec and effectively DPM right now and seems the best value here, but only as a trading bet. The likelihood is the next CON leader is a fair few years away; too long to tie up your money.
  • Options
    Whissendine (Rutland) : Ind gain from LD
    Staffordshire Moorlands, Leek East: Lab gain from Con
    Rutland Ketton: Con hold
    Wealden, Chiddingly and East Hoathly: Con hold
    Stockton-on-Tees, Billingham North: Lab hold
  • Options
    Eden, Alston Moor: Lab gain from LD (who didn't field a candidate)
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,004
    Now: it's gone pretty much unnoticed on here, but the first bit of Brexit negotiations has actually gone quite well for us.

Do you remember how there was going to be no discussion of trade until after the Exit Bill had been agreed? Well, you know what, the Exit Bill has not been agreed, and there have been quite substantive discussions about trade.

This is good, because it suggests that despite all the headlines, the EU is prioritizing a trade deal, and the UK's strategy of "nothing is agreed until everything is agreed" is working. My sources (well, source) tells me that we are very close on citizens rights, and Northern Ireland, and - while the devil is in the details - the broadest of outlines of an FTA have been agreed.

I wouldn't pay any attention to the "Brexit Bill" discussions. The UK wants to demonstrate the EU didn't get everything it wanted; the EU wants to demonstrate that it "hangs tough". Truth be told, if there is a multi-year adjustment period, then any bill gets absorbed without complication in a series of decreasing payments.

There is a single fly in this ointment, and that is that Liam Fox is the only dissenter in the cabinet. May, Hammond and the rest are broadly in agreement on the need for a 3-4 year adjustment period. (This covers a wide variety of views, of course. Some will accept limited ECJ rulings and FoM in this period, others insist we must be free sooner.) The exception is Liam Fox who has argued for a transition period "of two to four months".

Now call my cynical, but I don't believe Dr Fox genuinely believes a three month transition is optimal. But he believes the only way to get his hands on the Crown is to be the "arch Leaver", with everyone else a traitor to the vote.

It will be interesting to see how this develops.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612
    Interesting analysis, especially your comments re background talks on trade. Obviously, the UK has clearly demonstrated that the Brexit bill legal basis is not strong and therefore it will be traded off against a trade deal - this is the obvious outcome. As long as the trade deal covers services, I think it can be managed.

I think we can safely ignore Fox. Ultimately if the outcome is full Brexit, outside the SM and CU with an FTA, then people are going to be flexible as to how we get there.
    rcs1000 said:

Now: it's gone pretty much unnoticed on here, but the first bit of Brexit negotiations has actually gone quite well for us.

Do you remember how there was going to be no discussion of trade until after the Exit Bill had been agreed? Well, you know what, the Exit Bill has not been agreed, and there have been quite substantive discussions about trade.

This is good, because it suggests that despite all the headlines, the EU is prioritizing a trade deal, and the UK's strategy of "nothing is agreed until everything is agreed" is working. My sources (well, source) tells me that we are very close on citizens rights, and Northern Ireland, and - while the devil is in the details - the broadest of outlines of an FTA have been agreed.

I wouldn't pay any attention to the "Brexit Bill" discussions. The UK wants to demonstrate the EU didn't get everything it wanted; the EU wants to demonstrate that it "hangs tough". Truth be told, if there is a multi-year adjustment period, then any bill gets absorbed without complication in a series of decreasing payments.

There is a single fly in this ointment, and that is that Liam Fox is the only dissenter in the cabinet. May, Hammond and the rest are broadly in agreement on the need for a 3-4 year adjustment period. (This covers a wide variety of views, of course. Some will accept limited ECJ rulings and FoM in this period, others insist we must be free sooner.) The exception is Liam Fox who has argued for a transition period "of two to four months".

Now call my cynical, but I don't believe Dr Fox genuinely believes a three month transition is optimal. But he believes the only way to get his hands on the Crown is to be the "arch Leaver", with everyone else a traitor to the vote.

It will be interesting to see how this develops.

• Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Amber's ticked back up to 7% I see. She's still my tip.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

Don't see why not. Although 52% voted for Brexit, less than half of voters want an end to FOM.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Tonight's council by-election results:

Lab: 4 (+2)
    Con: 3 (-1)
    Ind: 1 (+1)
    LDem: 0 (-2)

Awaiting St Michaels (Knowsley): Lab defence.

Sleazy, broken, divided, leaking Tories on the slide.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,708
    surbiton said:

Tonight's council by-election results:

Lab: 4 (+2)
    Con: 3 (-1)
    Ind: 1 (+1)
    LDem: 0 (-2)

Awaiting St Michaels (Knowsley): Lab defence.

Sleazy, broken, divided, leaking Tories on the slide.

3 holds vs zero holds for the Lib Dems?
  • Options

'You've got a banana in your ear'

'Sorry?'

"I SAID YOU'VE GOT A BANANA IN YOUR EAR!'

'Sorry I can't hear you. Ive got a banana in my ear'
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Don't know how they know but I hope they do know.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    isam said:

Looks like Portillo gets paid more than Liz for TW!

https://twitter.com/bbcthisweek/status/888169593453391874

You would expect that to be the case. What would be wrong is if AJ gets more than Leicester Liz.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Strong words from Portillo, describing John Nicolson as being like Lord Haw-Haw.
This discussion has been closed.