Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited July 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose

So Andrea Leadsom might be keeping Mrs May in her job. https://t.co/61uAjuIJNx pic.twitter.com/1Z9HNwBYGV

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    First!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    Second!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    edited July 2017
    That's ironic.

F1: still waiting for word on Hamilton's potential penalty.

If he got one, that would mean a Ferrari front row followed by Verstappen and Hulkenberg.

Edited extra bit: apparently, no further action. I think that's unfair, being honest. He blocked Grosjean on a hot lap. There should be some kind of penalty. It smacks of favouritism.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    Could we end up with a members ballot between Mogg and Leadsom? :)
  • Options
    justin124 said:

>

I disagree with several aspects of Blair's centrism but Corbynistas dislike centrism in general, not just merely the politics of Tony Blair.

As a generally loyal Blairite I came to feel that we had lost that sense of purpose and that, apart from personal liking, is what appeals to me about Corbyn and McDonnell. One can never predict what will turn up in government, but if there is, for example, a new refugee crisis, I absolutely trust Corbyn to put the interests of refugees first, without first consulting a focus group to see how it might play with the public. If money is to be raised, I absolutely trust them to raise it primasrily from better-off people like me. I'm pleasantly surprised to find they make all this quite popular too.

With Tony, although I still do respect him and I think Iraq was a harder call than is now generally believed, I never felt any certainty about anything except his general theme of private provision of public service, which is actually not always a "what works" doctrine at all. And with the Tories, I have no idea what they really want, except to stay in power. Which doesn't make me hate the Tories or Tony, but I don't see that they have much to offer anyone at the moment.
    I joined the Lib Dems in 2001 when Blair was in his pre-Iraq pomp. At the time I viewed Blair as an unprincipled managerialist and disliked him intensely. Towards the end of his term I actually started to feel sorry for him and post-Brexit I'm starting to like him a little bit!

I agree that left of centre parties should have some kind of ideological underpinning. To my now more charitable mind, parts of the Blairite agenda feel like he was fumbling towards a more coherent liberal stance. I think that it's a shame for the UK that Blair's successors didn't attempt to push on towards the Orange Book liberalism that Blairism could have easily become.

As for Corbyn, obviously his ideals aren't mine, but I'm not convinced that he's quite as purely idealistic as you paint him to be. The stance that Labour has taken on tuition fees seems like quite a grubby piece of political positioning to me and certainly not a policy that can be squared with progressive, redistributive politics.
    I would only consider forgiving Blair if he were to serve his sentence in the same way as Albert Speer et al.
    FPT:

Wouldn't he need to be sentenced first? And prior to that, charged with something and then found guilty. Unless you are trying to be funny (in which case, your humour is completely lost on me) your comment is ridiculous!
  • Options

justin124 said:

>

I disagree with several aspects of Blair's centrism but Corbynistas dislike centrism in general, not just merely the politics of Tony Blair.

As a generally loyal Blairite I came to feel that we had lost that sense of purpose and that, apart from personal liking, is what appeals to me about Corbyn and McDonnell. One can never predict what will turn up in government, but if there is, for example, a new refugee crisis, I absolutely trust Corbyn to put the interests of refugees first, without first consulting a focus group to see how it might play with the public. If money is to be raised, I absolutely trust them to raise it primasrily from better-off people like me. I'm pleasantly surprised to find they make all this quite popular too.

With Tony, although I still do respect him and I think Iraq was a harder call than is now generally believed, I never felt any certainty about anything except his general theme of private provision of public service, which is actually not always a "what works" doctrine at all. And with the Tories, I have no idea what they really want, except to stay in power. Which doesn't make me hate the Tories or Tony, but I don't see that they have much to offer anyone at the moment.
    I joined the Lib Dems in 2001 when Blair was in his pre-Iraq pomp. At the time I viewed Blair as an unprincipled managerialist and disliked him intensely. Towards the end of his term I actually started to feel sorry for him and post-Brexit I'm starting to like him a little bit!

I agree that left of centre parties should have some kind of ideological underpinning. To my now more charitable mind, parts of the Blairite agenda feel like he was fumbling towards a more coherent liberal stance. I think that it's a shame for the UK that Blair's successors didn't attempt to push on towards the Orange Book liberalism that Blairism could have easily become.

As for Corbyn, obviously his ideals aren't mine, but I'm not convinced that he's quite as purely idealistic as you paint him to be. The stance that Labour has taken on tuition fees seems like quite a grubby piece of political positioning to me and certainly not a policy that can be squared with progressive, redistributive politics.
    I would only consider forgiving Blair if he were to serve his sentence in the same way as Albert Speer et al.
    FPT:

Wouldn't he need to be sentenced first? And prior to that, charged with something and then found guilty. Unless you are trying to be funny (in which case, your humour is completely lost on me) your comment is ridiculous!
    Justin has a habit of wishing that people were maimed/dead.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Better a new volvo than a dead volvo or Leadsom, a Lada.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308

justin124 said:

>

FPT:

You're just incredibly bourgeois in your thinking comrade.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited July 2017
    RobD said:

If I recollect, he has a streak of kindness.

He was only planning to disinherit his niece whom he suspected of voting Conservative.
  • Options
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

>

FPT:

Ah ok thanks Rob... One of the things I like about this site is that most of the comments are reasonably argued and sincerely held, even if I disagree with them. I'll need to learn to ignore the few off-the-wall ones and not bother reacting. :smile:
  • Options

RobD said:

He was only planning to disinherit his niece who he suspected of voting Conservative.
    Your sure it wasn't disembowel?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I don't really see an alternative at present to Boris Johnson, for all his many flaws. That's how desperate things have got for the Conservatives. Someone has to be able to move positions nimbly in response to rapidly changing events. I don't see any others with the necessary fleetness of foot.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    A Leadsom leadership would be the only thing that would persuade me to vote for Corbyn/McDonnell/Abbott instead of abstaining (ie voting Lib or Green)
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Four leaders not three if Hammond is a stopgap.

Cameron, May, Hammond, A.N.Other.

Whoever replaces May will already be number 3.
  • Options

Ah ok thanks Rob... One of the things I like about this site is that most of the comments are reasonably argued and sincerely held, even if I disagree with them. I'll need to learn to ignore the few off-the-wall ones and not bother reacting. :smile:

You have a lot to learn if you want to master the art of the blockquote. :D
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631

That's ironic.

If he got one, that would mean a Ferrari front row followed by Verstappen and Hulkenberg.

Edited extra bit: apparently, no further action. I think that's unfair, being honest. He blocked Grosjean on a hot lap. There should be some kind of penalty. It smacks of favouritism.

A tough one to call, particularly as it was the team's fault. Blocking penalties in qualifying have always been arbitrarily applied, though.

Getting worried about Stokes in the cricket - Bairstow has (inadvertently) been hogging the strike, and Stokes is not the most patient of young cricketers...

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

I don't really see an alternative at present to Boris Johnson, for all his many flaws. That's how desperate things have got for the Conservatives. Someone has to be able to move positions nimbly in response to rapidly changing events. I don't see any others with the necessary fleetness of foot.

Jo Johnson
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

That's ironic.

A tough one to call, particularly as it was the team's fault. Blocking penalties in qualifying have always been arbitrarily applied, though.

Getting worried about Stokes in the cricket - Bairstow has (inadvertently) been hogging the strike, and Stokes is not the most patient of young cricketers...

I should learn to keep my mouth shut...

Stokes out.

• Options

What about Amber Rudd? I don't know a lot about her to be honest but she seems to handle interviews reasonably well.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

That's ironic.

Stokes out.

I get into a lot of trouble for that kind of thing.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

That's ironic.

Stokes out.

I get into a lot of trouble for that kind of thing.
    Yep, I'm off to do something useful.

• Options
    Incidentally, if anybody wants more Twitter responses, just make an innocuous comment on gender of writers. Getting rather more than anticipated.
  • Options
    Despite the fairly overwhelming evidence to the contrary I have been assured that Dawson can bat. Now would be a good time to show that.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007
    DavidL said:

What about Amber Rudd? I don't know a lot about her to be honest but she seems to handle interviews reasonably well.
    Isn't she something big in the Lizard conspiracy of Finchley Road?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Well she is a mother...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

I heard her children have gills.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    F1: markets appear to be waking up so I'll start perusing.

Edited extra bit: scratch that, still only half a dozen.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    You can read the FT story for free by googling

'Conservatives fear descent into chaotic leadership battle'
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

I don't have that level of security clearance so I don't know.
  • Options

You can read the FT story for free by googling

'Conservatives fear descent into chaotic leadership battle'

They make it sound bleak indeed for the Tories: "Invites to the poshest parties could dry up, with warm chardonnay replacing the flutes of champagne."
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    DavidL said:

Not with a 786 vote majority in her own seat
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

I love that conspiracy theory. I'm bona fide linked to it, which makes me feel all paternal about it.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    619 said:

DavidL said:

Why not? Think of it as an incentive plan. You win and you're PM, you lose and you're unemployed.

Edit. Bet it would guarantee a radically different manifesto from the last appalling effort.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

I love that conspiracy theory. I'm bona fide linked to it, which makes me feel all paternal about it.
    Doesn't someone have to kill you now? Which would be a shame.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Doesn't someone have to kill you now? Which would be a shame.
    Form an orderly queue.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

619 said:

DavidL said:

Why not? Think of it as an incentive plan. You win and you're PM, you lose and you're unemployed.
    You could do a Chris Patten and go for the double.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

I love the way they discover a company creation business... And generate a conspiracy.

It's then pointed out to be a company creation business.

Which is just 'cover'.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    619 said:

DavidL said:

I don't buy this argument. For starters the opposition vote would be split more heavily given how many independents stand in the PM's constituency.
  • Options

DavidL said:

619 said:

DavidL said:

You could do a Chris Patten and go for the double.
    I just think a campaign led by someone in that position might be a tad more focussed than Mrs May's effort. Mind you there are interstellar clouds in distant galaxies which are more focussed than she was. Having one of the largest majorities in the country seems to produce an unacceptable degree of complacency. Maybe the reverse is worth a go.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,726

It has to be someone who is unassociated with Brexit on either side of the debate and also with the chaos within the May regime caused by it. Eliminating therefore Leadsom, Johnson, Gove, Davis, Hammond, Rudd (probably). It will be someone who loyally supported Remain when Cameron was in charge, happily supported Leave when May was leader and comfortable with switching positions again as reality bites. In the cabinet I can only see Javid or Hunt. I think Hunt has issues, so my vote goes to Javid. Otherwise we are looking outside the cabinet.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

It has to be someone who is unassociated with Brexit on either side of the debate and also with the chaos within the May regime caused by it. Eliminating therefore Leadsom, Johnson, Gove, Davis, Hammond, Rudd (probably). It will be someone who loyally supported Remain when Cameron was in charge, happily supported Leave when May was leader and comfortable with switching positions again as reality bites. In the cabinet I can only see Javid or Hunt. I think Hunt has issues, so my vote goes to Javid. Otherwise we are looking outside the cabinet.
    The only thing I can remember Javid doing to date is telling a very funny joke about condoms. Oh, and his dad was a bus driver, apparently. As a CV its a tad thin....
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    FF43 said:

If Leadsoms the answer, it’s a silly question.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    FPT
    justin124 said:

» show previous quotes
    ' I would only consider forgiving Blair if he were to serve his sentence in the same way as Albert Speer et al.'

Benpointer said:
    'Wouldn't he need to be sentenced first? And prior to that, charged with something and then found guilty. Unless you are trying to be funny (in which case, your humour is completely lost on me) your comment is ridiculous!'

The political establishment knows how to look after its own. By any objective standard Blair - with Bush - was more guilty of the Nuremberg Indictment relating to 'Planning for war' than any of the Nazi leaders presented to it - with the possible exception of Ribbentrop.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    619 said:

DavidL said:

Amber Rudd's wafer-thin majority is easily fixed -- if she becomes leader, she can transfer to the vacant seat of Maidenhead, where Theresa May will not be standing.
  • Options

FF43 said:

If Leadsoms the answer, it’s a silly question.
    These truths we hold to be self evident...
  • Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    Andrea leadsom would be a catastrophic choice and would ensure Tory defeat at the next election.
  • Options

RobD said:

He was only planning to disinherit his niece whom he suspected of voting Conservative.
    As it happens, she didn't in the end so her legacy is safe.
  • Options
    619 said:

DavidL said:

Rudd's majority was actually less than 400.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

You can't be sure unless you watched her fill in and post a PV.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,726
    DavidL said:

FF43 said:

The only thing I can remember Javid doing to date is telling a very funny joke about condoms. Oh, and his dad was a bus driver, apparently. As a CV its a tad thin....
    Sounds good to me. The less baggage the better
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    F1: anyway, whilst we wait, if you backed Raikkonen for podium at 3.3 or so earlier today, he can now be hedging at 1.7, if you're so inclined.

Edited extra bit: hedged* even.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

That is the case with all voters. I am relying on what her parents reported - both of whom did vote Tory.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited July 2017
    justin124 said:

geoffw said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

That is the case with all voters. I am relying on what her parents reported - both of whom did vote Tory.
    But surely her parents will want to protect her valuable legacy ....

NIECE: "Of course, Uncle Justin, I voted for Corby. Just ask Mam and Dad"

BROTHER-IN-LAW. "Oh yes, Justin, she voted Labour all right" (winks at niece)." No need to call the solicitor to change the will."
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Who does Andrea Loathsome think she is ?
  • Options

justin124 said:

geoffw said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

BROTHER-IN-LAW. "Oh yes, Justin, she voted Labour all right" (winks at niece)." No need to call the solicitor to change the will."
    None of them have any idea that she has one coming from me!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    DavidL said:

He's been reasonably coherent and properly concerned about the tower block fire.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

geoffw said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

You would be surprised at the gossip in familes about a wealthy and eccentric relative.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

geoffw said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

I bet she's overjoyed to have you as an uncle.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    surbiton said:

Andrea Leadsom presumably.
  • Options
    F1: nothing springs to mind at all. On the plus side, if you followed everything I mentioned before third practice, you're already ahead for the weekend.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

geoffw said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

You would be surprised at the gossip in familes about a wealthy and eccentric relative.
    I turn my back for five minutes and PB turns into a Trollope novel.
  • Options
    Mr. Recidivist, fret not, some of us are keeping true to the important business of differential front end grip.
  • Options

justin124 said:

geoffw said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

People are so cynical...
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    RobD said:

619 said:

DavidL said:

I don't buy this argument. For starters the opposition vote would be split more heavily given how many independents stand in the PM's constituency.
    Or they all vote for the closest competion to get rid of her tactically.
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

geoffw said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

As it happens 75% of my estate is destined for various charities!
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

geoffw said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

The Friends of Elderly Islington Jam Makers?
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

geoffw said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

The Friends of Elderly Islington Jam Makers?
    I am not a Corbyn fan.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    BTW - Do you like me making PB look all classy by doing a headline entirely in French replete with accent circonflexe?
  • Options
    Truly shocking performance with the bat (Root apart) from England. This test is lost.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, circumflex*.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    edited July 2017
    Just catching up and this thread demonstrates exactly why Theresa May will stay in post for Brexit.

As a party member I would not vote for Leadsom, Boris, Hammond, or Hunt. In a forced contest it would be between Davis and Rudd but the party needs time. The Brexit story will bring up winners and losers for all parties and in two years a star may arise to change the narrative.

For shear fun Jacob Rees Mogg v Corbyn at PMQ's would be box office.

• Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

DavidL said:

He's been reasonably coherent and properly concerned about the tower block fire.
    For whatever reasons, you get a lot of stick on here Nick - but when you say something fair-to-the-point-of-nice about Javid, who is surely not "your kind of Tory", goodness knows why.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, circumflex*.

Accent circonflexe is the French name, in English it is 'little hat.'

Educating you on all matters is a full time job!
  • Options

BTW - Do you like me making PB look all classy by doing a headline entirely in French replete with accent circonflexe?

You can demonstrate the versatility of your keyboard skills, or cut and past from Wikipedia.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

geoffw said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

Well my charity is and will always be my family
  • Options
    If you wanted (further) proof that IDS is a hypocritical bellend who is thick as pigshit.....

https://twitter.com/StevePeers/status/886170945123168256
  • Options

You can demonstrate the versatility of your keyboard skills, or cut and past from Wikipedia.
    One of the joys of an iPhone is that they let you use foreign language symbols.
  • Options
    Read the article in full earlier, absolute must read. I did warn PBers at the time this sort of stuff was going on....

https://twitter.com/rcolvile/status/886124133381283840
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Truly shocking performance with the bat (Root apart) from England. This test is lost.

England Women are doing well, though.
  • Options

DavidL said:

For whatever reasons, you get a lot of stick on here Nick - but when you say something fair-to-the-point-of-nice about Javid, who is surely not "your kind of Tory", goodness knows why.
    I find Nick very fair even though I have an opposite view on politics.
  • Options

The iphone feature is also on the mac, just hold down the key and it brings up a pop up to select from the different accents. Very handy, although as a physicist I am annoyed that h-bar isn't selectable.

• Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

geoffw said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

That is fair enough. However, I am not really a believer in inherited wealth on any great scale, and am leaving open the option of changing my will so as bequeath 100% to charities.
  • Options
    RobD said:

The iphone feature is also on the mac, just hold down the key and it brings up a pop up to select from the different accents. Very handy, although as a physicist I am annoyed that h-bar isn't selectable.

And the iPad too.

I'm sure if you ask Apple they'll add it, eventually.
  • Options

Indeed; I am about to upgrade my 5s. Probably to a 7.

Only trouble is I have to upgrade my wife’s similarly and at the same time.
  • Options

I love my 7.

If you can wait a couple of months, the next iPhone should be out then.
  • Options

I don't think I'll ever upgrade due to the lack of a headphone port. Similarly unimpressed with their latest laptops, which have that stupid gimmick touch bar at the top.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    Go Andrea!!!!!!!!!!! :D
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    RobD said:

I don't think I'll ever upgrade due to the lack of a headphone port. Similarly unimpressed with their latest laptops, which have that stupid gimmick touch bar at the top.
    You get an adaptor that will allow the 3.5mm jack to work.

Anyhoo, bluetooth headphones are the future.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

geoffw said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

That is fair enough. However, I am not really a believer in inherited wealth on any great scale, and am leaving open the option of changing my will so as bequeath 100% to charities.
    Justin - you have every right to your opinion on inherited wealth which I respect but why would I leave my estate to a charity who may or may not use the money wisely rather than your family who can then decide how they wish to use it.
  • Options

RobD said:

You get an adaptor that will allow the 3.5mm jack to work.

Anyhoo, bluetooth headphones are the future.
    grumble grumble
  • Options

Incidentally, if anybody wants more Twitter responses, just make an innocuous comment on gender of writers. Getting rather more than anticipated.

Did you learn nothing from Mr Hammond's experience with his 'innocuous' comment about the gender of train drivers, Mr.D ?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Did you learn nothing from Mr Hammond's experience with his 'innocuous' comment about the gender of train drivers, Mr.D ?
    They don’t have to park trains, though.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

How can you be sure? :)
  • Options
    Mr. B, I erroneously thought it'd be uncontroversial to say writers should be judged on the quality of their writing and nobody should be discriminated against.

Mr. Eagles, the Latin predates the French, though I'm not surprised by your lack of Roman knowledge.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    surbiton said:

Dunno - as thick as Diane Abacus perhaps?
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

geoffw said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

Justin - you have every right to your opinion on inherited wealth which I respect but why would I leave my estate to a charity who may or may not use the money wisely rather than your family who can then decide how they wish to use it.
    I can see why from your point of view that is the right thing to do BigG but on a macro level I do think inheritied wealth has a corrosive influence on society; it entrenches inequality across the generations. I think the only answer is to tax inheritance, which we do of course, but the very wealthy find all sorts of ways to bypass that. Wish I knew the answer.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Mr. B, I erroneously thought it'd be uncontroversial to say writers should be judged on the quality of their writing and nobody should be discriminated against.

Mr. Eagles, the Latin predates the French, though I'm not surprised by your lack of Roman knowledge.

I have an A* in Latin when GCSEs were difficult.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, errant apostrophe there. Should've paid more attention to your English ;)
This discussion has been closed.