Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If there were a Newton Abbot by election this year, the Tories

Comments

• Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Norm said:

Sean_F said:

Freggles said:

WOW Tories will literally defend anything.
    First piggate and now this

I don't think many of us object to suspending the whip.

But, we don't see using this offensive phrase as a hanging offence, either.
    The point needed to be made by T May but I would hope rather than resigning her seat the whip would be restored to her after a suitable period of penance.

The MP concerned is only a couple of years older than me and the expression would have been used by her parents generation. The sea change occurred rather rapidly in the 1970's - Hot Chocolate's 1973 single Brother Louie, controversial at the time, referred to a white father wanting no spook in his family and the black father's reverse racism of wanting no honky marrying his daughter.
    So the year we joined the EU was the turning point in our behaviour towards other cultures? :-D
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,139
    CD13 said:

Mr g,

Thanks for the explanation. Strange how it came to mean a complication rather than anything sinister.

In those people were scared and had been told they would be raped and pillaged etc , bit like the witch hunts here many years ago.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,088
    Ishmael_Z said:

Freggles said:

Brilliant. After a clean sweep of condemnation from every single tory here or elsewhere who has discussed the issue, and the suspension of this woman without benefit of a Chakrabarti whitewash, the best you can come up with is the suggestion that she is being "defended". The intelligence deficit on the left is approaching crisis point.

What was "piggate"?
    A lurid, but widely repeated, tale, of IMHO doubtful provenance, of initiation ceremonies at an Oxford drinking club of which David Cameron (who he?) was a member.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,132

That's an interesting view. As it happens, it's a phase I have to on rare occasions, stop myself from using. I was 'exposed' to it as a child and teenager whilst on building and demo sites - it, and other non-PC phrases, were frequently used. Good parenting - and a very multiracial school - quickly taught me it was unacceptable and I introduced a filter. I still occasionally think of it though, and I mentally wince whenever I do.

Such phraseology might well be learnt decades ago, and be nothing to do with current company. It's not a phrase you can forget and unlearn.

I have some sympathy with the MP, although she's been very silly.

What gets me is that this wasn't some "Jeremy C*nt" slip of the tongue - she'd clearly thought about her point and decided using the phrase was OK before she opened her mouth.

As for anti-Semitism in Labour, I have exactly the same thoughts. Naz Shah and her ilk should not be MPs.

The 'Jeremy C*nt' stuff was obviously deliberate, and wasn't a slip of the tongue.

"decided using the phrase was OK"

That might not be the case, and that was the point of my post. It's a phrase with a certain meaning ("to hide in plain sight") that I knew from a youngster that's sadly ingrained in my head. I manage to filter it out before it's said.

One of my fears is that, when I'm concentrating too hard on another part of what I'm saying, or thinking about something else, that the filter would get bypassed and the phrase would slip out. If it did, I'd be mortified. But it doesn't necessarily make me a racist, as I'd be using it in the context of 'hiding in plain sight'.

Fortunately the phrase is slowly slipping out of my conciousness, but it's taken decades.

I actually had bigger problems with anti-Irish sayings and phraseology: which is odd considering that many of my dad's workmen were Irish, and they were often the ones saying them!

(Almost all my dad's workmen were genuinely nice people. Rough, and many were relatively uneducated, and often terrible with money, but nice nonetheless. I don't want to make them out to be horrid people).
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    If you were a black person living in Anne Marie Morris's constituency, how much confidence would you have in her to represent you and legislate on your behalf?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited July 2017

CD13 said:

As a matter of interest, black people are allowed to use the 'n-word' word, although I'm not sure about black politicians, Can someone enlighten me?

Are there words that white people can use but not black people? This is just curiosity, I've not yet turned into Uncle Bob from the nursing home, but I feel like it sometimes.

I remember the furore when Alan Hansen used the world 'coloured' when criticising racism in football. So is 'coloured' a naughty word even when used in context?

I don't think the white/black comparison should need explanation again, but here goes. Generally groups of people who have been subjected to discrimination, torture, slavery or murder because of their identity are seen as needing more protection from the words used by their past oppressors than other kinds of abuse. So the n* word is offensive because it was in regular use by lynch mobs and slave-owners, and sneers about Jews because they echo the Nazis. Nobody is much bothered by insults to, say, Yorkshiremen or Frenchmen (although I think they're in bad taste too), because of the absence of comparable atrocities. If people in a group use an insulting word about themselves, it's obviously meant ironically so isn't offensive. The context is relevant for a word like "coloured" because it hasn't always been used pejoratively, as n* always is when used by white people.

I doubt if she'll resign, though, and expect she'll be quietly readmitted to the whip after a period, like the Tory MP a while back after she cheerfully joked about dead Chinese cockle-pickers. Howard suspended her at once, then let her back in after a while.
    I agree ,also naz shah (labour)was suspended and let back in after a while.
  • Options
    TonyE said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Couldn't believe that Tory MP really used the n-word *rollseyes* Glad to see that May has suspended her.

FPT:

Good morning.

Macron is getting a lot of flack on Twitter (again) for comments he made about Africa. First I saw was a video clip, though it turns out that was edited.

This is the full quote:

https://twitter.com/jessesingal/status/884490993319464963

Personally, I don't see what's so awful about what he's just said there. On my timeline last night, I saw my Corbynista friends calling Macron a racist for this....yet they were silent when it came to anti-Semitism in Labour party *rolleyes*.

https://twitter.com/jkirchick/status/884534595466784770

As with the famous Rumsfeld "Know knowns and known unknowns" speech, it turns out that said politician was actually making good sense.

Macron is saying there are too many black African babies. That's pretty bold, I'm not sure if it is sensible.
    Mrs Gates said the same thing on the radio this morning.
    I think the point he was making was that many babies are born due to the lack of progress in African economic and social development. Families have many babies because they expect some not to reach adulthood, (and possibly for other cultural reasons). He seems to cite it as an indicator - European progress saw birthrates fall with infant mortality
    There’s little doubt that reliable contraception has contributed very considerably to women’s health.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,927
    Newton Abbott would be more likely to go Lib-Dem than Labour I'd have thought?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005

If you were a black person living in Anne Marie Morris's constituency, how much confidence would you have in her to represent you and legislate on your behalf?

If I were a Conservative, probably a fair degree of confidence. If I weren't, not much.

• Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

Norm said:

Sean_F said:

Freggles said:

I don't think many of us object to suspending the whip.

But, we don't see using this offensive phrase as a hanging offence, either.
    The point needed to be made by T May but I would hope rather than resigning her seat the whip would be restored to her after a suitable period of penance.

The MP concerned is only a couple of years older than me and the expression would have been used by her parents generation. The sea change occurred rather rapidly in the 1970's - Hot Chocolate's 1973 single Brother Louie, controversial at the time, referred to a white father wanting no spook in his family and the black father's reverse racism of wanting no honky marrying his daughter.
    So the year we joined the EU was the turning point in our behaviour towards other cultures? :-D
    Well it is fair to say you'd be shocked by the casual racism in some early 1970's TV comedy that by 1979 would have been unacceptable.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,799
    edited July 2017
    But he cautioned against assuming May’s leadership was over, citing the example of long-serving conservative Australian prime minister, John Howard, who was once labelled “Mr 14%” for his poor performance in the polls. “I’m not in the business of writing anyone off,” Crosby said

Sir Lynton speaks.

Speaking at a business lunch in Sydney on Tuesday, Crosby attempted to explain the phenomenon of Jeremy Corbyn.

“On polling day, over 70% of voters thought the Conservatives were going to win,” Crosby said.

“So they thought we’ll reward [Corbyn] for being prepared to talk about interesting things and shake the system up, but we’ll still have the comfort of having Theresa May as prime minister at the end of the day,” he said.

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/11/tory-pollster-lynton-crosby-says-theresa-may-right-to-call-early-general-election

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,454
    TonyE said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Couldn't believe that Tory MP really used the n-word *rollseyes* Glad to see that May has suspended her.

FPT:

Good morning.

Macron is getting a lot of flack on Twitter (again) for comments he made about Africa. First I saw was a video clip, though it turns out that was edited.

This is the full quote:

Personally, I don't see what's so awful about what he's just said there. On my timeline last night, I saw my Corbynista friends calling Macron a racist for this....yet they were silent when it came to anti-Semitism in Labour party *rolleyes*.

As with the famous Rumsfeld "Know knowns and known unknowns" speech, it turns out that said politician was actually making good sense.

Macron is saying there are too many black African babies. That's pretty bold, I'm not sure if it is sensible.
    I think the point he was making was that many babies are born due to the lack of progress in African economic and social development. Families have many babies because they expect some not to reach adulthood, (and possibly for other cultural reasons). He seems to cite it as an indicator - European progress saw birthrates fall with infant mortality
    Yes it is a very basic and obvious issue in developing economies; families have a large number of children both because infant mortality is high, and also as a pension provider. Lower infant mortality would mean less need to have many children.

As Macron states, it is a symptom not a cause. He is also right in decrying a western-imposed Marshall-type plan, or the spending of billions of dollars.

Mosquito nets are the usual example given to illustrate this. We have from time to time been told "a mosquito net only costs $2, with your help, we can eradicate malaria..." When of course if that was the case then malaria would have been eradicated fifty years ago (there are many complex issues surrounding the distribution of free mosquito nets including crowding out local manufacturers, and the values and usage associated with a free good). Easterly gets this, Sachs doesn't, Collier says he does but doesn't really (all pale, male and stale, note).

Macron looks like he is genuinely trying to change the aid paradigm.

Good for him.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,901
    Well, as a non-Conservative, I'm happy to entertain Lynton Crosby's delusion that all these Conservatives suddenly decided to vote Labour on polling day but they knew Theresa would still be Prime Minister afterward.

I suppose the same thing happened in 1997 except nobody forgot to tell the Conservatives not to do it in such large numbers and Tony got a landslide.

I've never met anyone who thinks the way Crosby suggests. If you're an unhappy Conservative (or indeed an unhappy supporter of any other party) you're more likely to stay at home than actively vote for the principal opponent.

Still, if delusions like this help the Tories get through the next five years, so be it.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,211

Not that it makes it in anyway acceptable, but according to the last Census there were fewer than 200 people in Newton Abbot who ticked a black category on the form.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT:

Good morning.

This is the full quote:

What does she want ? A Maoist one child policy for African women ?
    The area is of course troubling and hence her explanation that it was a locally-driven initiative that they were supporting.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

CD13 said:

As a matter of interest, black people are allowed to use the 'n-word' word, although I'm not sure about black politicians, Can someone enlighten me?

Are there words that white people can use but not black people? This is just curiosity, I've not yet turned into Uncle Bob from the nursing home, but I feel like it sometimes.

I remember the furore when Alan Hansen used the world 'coloured' when criticising racism in football. So is 'coloured' a naughty word even when used in context?

I don't think the white/black comparison should need explanation again, but here goes. Generally groups of people who have been subjected to discrimination, torture, slavery or murder because of their identity are seen as needing more protection from the words used by their past oppressors than other kinds of abuse. So the n* word is offensive because it was in regular use by lynch mobs and slave-owners, and sneers about Jews because they echo the Nazis. Nobody is much bothered by insults to, say, Yorkshiremen or Frenchmen (although I think they're in bad taste too), because of the absence of comparable atrocities. If people in a group use an insulting word about themselves, it's obviously meant ironically so isn't offensive. The context is relevant for a word like "coloured" because it hasn't always been used pejoratively, as n* always is when used by white people.

I doubt if she'll resign, though, and expect she'll be quietly readmitted to the whip after a period, like the Tory MP a while back after she cheerfully joked about dead Chinese cockle-pickers. Howard suspended her at once, then let her back in after a while.
    "“[Hitler] didn’t just sign the deal,” Livingstone said. “The SS set up training camps so that German Jews who were going to go there could be trained to cope with a very different sort of country when they got there [Palestine].”"

Livingstone was suspended, not expelled, for saying this.

Tick tock.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT:

Good morning.

This is the full quote:

The area is of course troubling and hence her explanation that it was a locally-driven initiative that they were supporting.
    A one child policy causes problems of it's own.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Using the spinning jenny is morally unacceptable.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    TOPPING said:

Yes it is a very basic and obvious issue in developing economies; families have a large number of children both because infant mortality is high, and also as a pension provider. Lower infant mortality would mean less need to have many children.

As Macron states, it is a symptom not a cause. He is also right in decrying a western-imposed Marshall-type plan, or the spending of billions of dollars.

Mosquito nets are the usual example given to illustrate this. We have from time to time been told "a mosquito net only costs $2, with your help, we can eradicate malaria..." When of course if that was the case then malaria would have been eradicated fifty years ago (there are many complex issues surrounding the distribution of free mosquito nets including crowding out local manufacturers, and the values and usage associated with a free good). Easterly gets this, Sachs doesn't, Collier says he does but doesn't really (all pale, male and stale, note).

Good for him.

Not sure about a lot of that. Families have many babies because of a lack of contraception, rather than as a planned thing. I doubt anyone is manufacturing mosquito nets in Africa (possible exception of ZA). If France wants to do something which really helped Africa it could abolish the CAP and let African farmers play on a level playing field. A concession that training and arming the interahamwe in Rwanda was a mistake would also be welcome.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Mr. Eagles, that has potentially very interesting implications for the next election.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT:

Good morning.

This is the full quote:

A one child policy causes problems of it's own.
    Yes it does. But we are talking multiple births here, not just wanting to have a boy and a girl, etc as we saw in China.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,636
    edited July 2017
    Somebody at The Times is going to get sacked.

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/884690600263659520
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,139

You really are a topper for sure
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TonyE said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT:

Good morning.

This is the full quote:

Good for him.
    I’d always assumed, perhaps lazily, that the mosquito nets were manufactured locally.

One of the biggest contributors to economic advance in rural Thailand was the introduction of the cheap two-stroke motor vehicle. Another has been a rural scholarship programme, whereby, as IUI, bright lads (usually) at school were sent to agricultural college, and then back to their villages where they were given ‘royal’ land on the condition that they grew experimental crops and, if successful, encouraged their neighbours to do the same, thus diversifying a rice-dominated economy.
  • Options

But he cautioned against assuming May’s leadership was over, citing the example of long-serving conservative Australian prime minister, John Howard, who was once labelled “Mr 14%” for his poor performance in the polls. “I’m not in the business of writing anyone off,” Crosby said

Sir Lynton speaks.

Speaking at a business lunch in Sydney on Tuesday, Crosby attempted to explain the phenomenon of Jeremy Corbyn.

“On polling day, over 70% of voters thought the Conservatives were going to win,” Crosby said.

“So they thought we’ll reward [Corbyn] for being prepared to talk about interesting things and shake the system up, but we’ll still have the comfort of having Theresa May as prime minister at the end of the day,” he said.

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/11/tory-pollster-lynton-crosby-says-theresa-may-right-to-call-early-general-election

There's a man who will never admit that he's wrong. And with gullible fools willing to credit him for victories and pin blame elsewhere for defeat, why the hell would he?
  • Options

Sir Lynton speaks.

It does puzzle me that polling companies like Ipsos Mori and Opinium, who weren't especially down weighting responses from younger voters, should have so understated the Labour vote.
  • Options
    I'm not sure the Telegraph is aimed at the likes of me...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fantasy-sports/daily-fantasy-sports/fantasy-polo/
  • Options
    Strange not to see much comment on the Taylor Report being published today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40561807

It's a brave attempt and certainly outlines the scale of the issue in terms of the numbers of people involved and the amount of tax not being collected. The balance between a Government interested in missing tax revenue and a Government genuinely interested in improving the lot of people in "low quality" jobs is going to be an interesting one.

I suspect there's no solution and there never will be. Those needing the work will work and those wanting (for whatever reason) to evade paying tax and NI will continue to do so. The extent to which some individuals are being exploited isn't clear but I'd be surprised if there weren't some instances.

As with so many complex issues confronting Governments of all stripes, the absence of an easy answer makes it tempting to ignore the whole issue. I do think May will be long on platitudes, generalities and cheap anti-Labour jibes but short on specifics.

One could argue a powerful Trade Union movement could be well placed to support exploited workers by encouraging such workers to organise and seek proper terms and conditions but I can't imagine that finding much favour in some quarters.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978
    Ishmael_Z said:

CD13 said:

"“[Hitler] didn’t just sign the deal,” Livingstone said. “The SS set up training camps so that German Jews who were going to go there could be trained to cope with a very different sort of country when they got there [Palestine].”"

Tick tock.

Nope - he was not suspended from the Labour party, he was suspended from holding elected office. May has done exactly the right thing with this MP. The same cannot be said of the Labour party and its anti-semites.

• Options
    To expand a little further (do have work to be doing) on that point below, an interesting psychological phenomenon seems to happen with book review ratings.

People can't give a specific rating like 4.7. But what they can do is see existing ratings and then amend their own accordingly, perhaps not as a conscious effort. If they see it being underrated, in their eyes, their rating might be a 5 rather than a 4, and vice versa.

If people go into the next election thinking May (assuming she's still there) is a bit better than Corbyn but that it's very close, that'll make them disproportionately more likely to back her because of the exact opposite nature of the situation to the last election.

Or, to rephrase, if the polls at the last election has shown either a dead heat or very narrow Con/Lab leads (a few did, most were healthy or good Con leads) that would've helped the blues. Their strong polling was a negative because it made neutrals and floating voters feel a May premiership was in the bag so they 'could afford' to vote Labour even though they didn't really want Corbyn as PM.
  • Options
    Mr. Stodge, I did comment on it below. I'm dubious of desires to reduce the use of cash as a general principle.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

CD13 said:

Tick tock.

Nope - he was not suspended from the Labour party, he was suspended from holding elected office. May has done exactly the right thing with this MP. The same cannot be said of the Labour party and its anti-semites.

20’s/30’s history is not my strong point, but were there such ‘training camps’? Or were they something else? Or the precursors to something else?
  • Options
    stodge said:

Morning all :)

Much more interested in Macron's comments than anything some backbench Conservative MP has said.

I've read through the whole answer and while it's close to my own position, I don't feel comfortable with it. It smacks of an interesting moral and cultural nuance relating to money, aid and governance which seems peculiar to the West.

I'm finding it hard to explain in words but I'll have a try. It is in the interests of the West (and indeed the whole world) for Africa to be peaceful and prosperous and helping them achieve that is an entirely laudable aim on that basis but the reluctance of the West seems to relate to the governance structures (or lack of them) in much of Africa which means the perception is the aid doesn't go to the people but lines the pockets of bureaucrats and despots.

The comparison with post-WW2 Marshall seems predicated on that notion - America was happy to help the recovery of democratic, stable western European countries with accountable and relatively corruption-free governments but the modern West is wary of backing African countries where venality is or appears to be the norm.

This seems less of a problem to the Chinese who have opted for a different form of investment in parts of Africa via industrial and transport infrastructure (the new railway from Nairobi to Mombasa and the proposed East African railway extension is an example).

Is it for us to tell other parts of the countries how they should be governed ? No, but it is our money in the end though the human consequences of failed states seem to end up on Europe's doorstep almost as if to say that if you don't help the Africans in Africa they'll come and help themselves in Europe.

Corrupt rulers are a product of failed states. China is in the fortunate position of not having to deal with the practical consequences of that. For all kinds of reasons, the West (and Europe, in particular) is not.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

TOPPING said:

Good for him.

Not sure about a lot of that. Families have many babies because of a lack of contraception, rather than as a planned thing. I doubt anyone is manufacturing mosquito nets in Africa (possible exception of ZA). If France wants to do something which really helped Africa it could abolish the CAP and let African farmers play on a level playing field. A concession that training and arming the interahamwe in Rwanda was a mistake would also be welcome.
    There is quite a lot of literature on this.

This is a good place to start, by Easterly.

For Rwanda, Linda Polman was very good on the dynamic.

Don't particularly like giving out reading lists, it's pretty arrogant, but a lot of this is established discourse.

There were plenty of mistakes in Rwanda, including the Goma camp, and the failed shuttle diplomacy, but the overriding issue was that it was not in the US, France's or Belgium's interests to halt the fighting, despite pleas from UNIMIR, plus the Rwandans themselves need to shoulder a lot of the blame.

Oh and, "armed"?? What, with machetes from Northrop Grumman?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,526
    Ishmael_Z said:

Freggles said:

Brilliant. After a clean sweep of condemnation from every single tory here or elsewhere who has discussed the issue, and the suspension of this woman without benefit of a Chakrabarti whitewash, the best you can come up with is the suggestion that she is being "defended". The intelligence deficit on the left is approaching crisis point.

What was "piggate"?
    The comments on the ConHome article don't support your assertion, sadly.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,132

I’d always assumed, perhaps lazily, that the mosquito nets were manufactured locally.

One of the biggest contributors to economic advance in rural Thailand was the introduction of the cheap two-stroke motor vehicle. Another has been a rural scholarship programme, whereby, as IUI, bright lads (usually) at school were sent to agricultural college, and then back to their villages where they were given ‘royal’ land on the condition that they grew experimental crops and, if successful, encouraged their neighbours to do the same, thus diversifying a rice-dominated economy.

IMV the way to raise people out of poverty is, to misrepresent a phrase, 'education, education, education'. Education has all sorts of benefits, both direct and indirect.

The next most important way is to give them access to finance to start new ventures. In this manner, microfinancing / microcredit is great.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

More than a Jew living in Ken's London!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    TOPPING said:

Don't particularly like giving out reading lists, it's pretty arrogant, but a lot of this is established discourse.

There were plenty of mistakes in Rwanda, including the Goma camp, and the failed shuttle diplomacy, but the overriding issue was that it was not in the US, France's or Belgium's interests to halt the fighting, despite pleas from UNIMIR, plus the Rwandans themselves need to shoulder a lot of the blame.

"As the French left, years of anger among Rwanda's Tutsis spilled out over the price they believe they have paid for Paris's unique view of its place in post-colonial Africa - a role critics say is shaped by an obsession with the influence of its language and culture that led Paris to support a murderous regime because its opponents spoke English. France went on backing the killers even as the bodies piled up in the streets, churches and football stadiums. "France wants to blame us, the ones whose families were murdered, the ones who put a stop to the murderers; they want to blame us for the genocide because they cannot face their own guilt," says Rwanda's foreign minister, Charles Murigande. "The French armed the killers and they trained them even when they were saying they were going to kill the Tutsis, and France supported the genocide regime right up until the end, even helping the killers to escape." Why? "Because they have this obsession with Anglo-Saxons.""

Your remark about Northrop Grumman is revealing. Even machetes have to be paid for, and for the average African who owns a machete it is probably one of the most expensive things he owns.

edit: source for that https://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/jan/11/rwanda.insideafrica
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

IMV the way to raise people out of poverty is, to misrepresent a phrase, 'education, education, education'. Education has all sorts of benefits, both direct and indirect.

The next most important way is to give them access to finance to start new ventures. In this manner, microfinancing / microcredit is great.
    History has shown that the best way to raise the wretched out of poverty is for them to be governed and administered by Anglo-Saxons.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

TOPPING said:

ot of the blame.

"As the French left, years of anger among Rwanda's Tutsis spilled out over the price they believe they have paid for Paris's unique view of its place in post-colonial Africa - a role critics say is shaped by an obsession with the influence of its language and culture that led Paris to support a murderous regime because its opponents spoke English. France went on backing the killers even as the bodies piled up in the streets, churches and football stadiums. "France wants to blame us, the ones whose families were murdered, the ones who put a stop to the murderers; they want to blame us for the genocide because they cannot face their own guilt," says Rwanda's foreign minister, Charles Murigande. "The French armed the killers and they trained them even when they were saying they were going to kill the Tutsis, and France supported the genocide regime right up until the end, even helping the killers to escape." Why? "Because they have this obsession with Anglo-Saxons.""

Your remark about Northrop Grumman is revealing. Even machetes have to be paid for, and for the average African who owns a machete it is probably one of the most expensive things he owns.

edit: source for that https://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/jan/11/rwanda.insideafrica
    I made the point that the French were instrumental in the whole episode. But at the end of the day it was the Rwandans who were responsible for the massacre. As was famously said about availability of weapons (I paraphrase from memory): you could buy them as easily and cheaply as bananas at the local market.

As for Murigande's view, the analogy is one we deal with every day on here about terrorists, where some people try to blame their circumstances, poverty, etc, rather than blaming the terrorist or indeed common criminal themselves.

Edit: and another thing...blaming France for their undeniable culpability in some of the circumstances which Rwanda found itself in leads the way pretty clearly to blaming eg. the UK for its past colonial history and justifying some of the acts, by ISIS for example in opposition to Sykes-Picot, that are taking place now.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    It all makes sense now.

I said you'd have to be really dense to use the n in a woodpile phrase and now I learn Ann Marie Morris went to Oxford University.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    Ishmael_Z said:

TOPPING said:

Good for him.

People have always had large families, when life expectancy was low, through death during pregnancy and in giving birth, death in childhood, famines, war, plague. After all, who was going to look after the survivors into their old age? They might have had odd beliefs, but they weren't stupid. Once education became generally available, then wherever you see it, birth rates drop, even if contraception is not available.

Read up UK and European history prior to 1900 and check the census reports and the deaths in the parish records - by today's standards, the facts are horrifying. The census numbers of Ireland from the first in 1841 till 1911 are frightening.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

History has shown that the best way to raise the wretched out of poverty is for them to be governed and administered by Anglo-Saxons.
    The history of India, China, Korea, Thailand etc would seem to contradict that. The history of Anglophone vs Francophone or Lusophone Africa isn't exactly a triumph either!
  • Options

It all makes sense now.

I said you'd have to be really dense to use the n in a woodpile phrase and now I learn Ann Marie Morris went to Oxford University.

And studied law. Case closed.
  • Options

It all makes sense now.

As we've discussed before law isn't taught very well at Oxford, cf Tony Blair and Sir Keir Starmer.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    I see momentum has merged with the Luddite and flat earth parties this morning.

Any Corbynites give me an update on which of the following are "morally wrong"

Deliveroo
    The Hive
    Amazon
    Wifi enabled fridges
    Whatsapp
    Candy Crush

Yours reading on a ZX Spectrum..
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,694
    stodge said:

It's a brave attempt and certainly outlines the scale of the issue in terms of the numbers of people involved and the amount of tax not being collected. The balance between a Government interested in missing tax revenue and a Government genuinely interested in improving the lot of people in "low quality" jobs is going to be an interesting one.

I suspect there's no solution and there never will be. Those needing the work will work and those wanting (for whatever reason) to evade paying tax and NI will continue to do so. The extent to which some individuals are being exploited isn't clear but I'd be surprised if there weren't some instances.

As with so many complex issues confronting Governments of all stripes, the absence of an easy answer makes it tempting to ignore the whole issue. I do think May will be long on platitudes, generalities and cheap anti-Labour jibes but short on specifics.

One could argue a powerful Trade Union movement could be well placed to support exploited workers by encouraging such workers to organise and seek proper terms and conditions but I can't imagine that finding much favour in some quarters.

I'd like to read the report in full.

The only impression I got from the BBC is that Taylor wants cash in hand work to be taxed, which will never happen unless cash goes because it's in the interests of neither party.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,030

The history of India, China, Korea, Thailand etc would seem to contradict that. The history of Anglophone vs Francophone or Lusophone Africa isn't exactly a triumph either!
    We. As a rule Anglophone countries in Africa have come out of the Imperial age in a far better state than those of other former imperial holdings.
  • Options

It all makes sense now.

As we've discussed before law isn't taught very well at Oxford, cf Tony Blair and Sir Keir Starmer.
    Generally considered one of the most prestigious in the world, Oxford's law school is currently ranked second in the 2017 QS World University Rankings, behind only Harvard Law School.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    I was on here last week saying that backing Everton for the Top 10 at 1.25 is a great bet for those inclined to back short prices and don't mind tying their money up for a while, it's a much better bet than the 1.08 bet TSE put up yesterday, though I realise he was only pointing it out and not necessarily recommending it.

I have now bought their total points for next season at 59 with Spin. They got 61 last season and I believe that despite selling Lukaku they will be a better team this season, I am very impressed that they have strengthened the positions they were weak in last season.

I could have waited as they have Stoke at home followed by City and Chelsea away, but if they take points of either of those two then the price will go up, I'm very happy to buy at 2 points lower than their total last season.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

TOPPING said:

ot of the blame.

"As t

I made the point that the French were instrumental in the whole episode. But at the end of the day it was the Rwandans who were responsible for the massacre. As was famously said about availability of weapons (I paraphrase from memory): you could buy them as easily and cheaply as bananas at the local market.

As for Murigande's view, the analogy is one we deal with every day on here about terrorists, where some people try to blame their circumstances, poverty, etc, rather than blaming the terrorist or indeed common criminal themselves.

Edit: and another thing...blaming France for their undeniable culpability in some of the circumstances which Rwanda found itself in leads the way pretty clearly to blaming eg. the UK for its past colonial history and justifying some of the acts, by ISIS for example in opposition to Sykes-Picot, that are taking place now.
    Also worth noting is that Rwanda was never a French Colony, it was part of German East Africa, who found the Tutsi usuful as a ruling class, then a Belgian mandate until independence, who continued this policy.

In Africa, no one is innocent.

Incidentally, machetes are very cheap in tropical Africa, just a couple of quid and sold in every market as agricultural tools.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    AndyJS said:
    Or did she? Your Guardian link has that headline but the body text suggests she did not say that -- rather that Uber's treatment of its drivers is morally wrong, and that is why she does not use Uber.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,211
    @nigel4england - I think Man Utd are a sell at 77, but spread betting isn't for me.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010

then a Belgian mandate until independence

OK That explains it, the Belgians were shocking colonists.
  • Options
    Mr. England, whilst not really an area of interest for me, those are intriguing suggestions. Bit wary of short odds, especially with a long time frame, though.

• Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,060
    Pulpstar said:

Who were the good colonists? Let me guess...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:
    Or did she? Your Guardian link has that headline but the body text suggests she did not say that -- rather that Uber's treatment of its drivers is morally wrong, and that is why she does not use Uber.
    I was quoting the headline.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2017

It all makes sense now.

John Major allegedly used the phrase in 1992:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/mitterrand-and-heath-add-to-majors-woes-pms-views-on-single-currency-challenged-embarrassing-1487349.html

"The Sun trumped that with extracts from a tape of off-the-record chat between Mr Major and Jonathan Dimbleby after a BBC election phone-in last year - in which the Prime Minister spoke of three factors explaining why Tory strength was being underestimated. There was, he said, the 'high fuck-up factor', with Tory voters telling pollsters one thing and canvassers another; the 'bugger-you-all factor'; and 'the nigger in the woodpile is the local factor'."
  • Options

We. As a rule Anglophone countries in Africa have come out of the Imperial age in a far better state than those of other former imperial holdings.
    Some have done well. Botswana is perhaps the most successful. Democracy from day one and 50 years of uninterrupted growth. Ghana is doing well now.

But there is also Zimbabwe, Uganda, Sudan, Somaliland, Sierra Leone etc as a few examples of where things did not go well.

Belgian decolonisation was catastrophically done, and the Portuguese collapse in 1975 too, though destabilisation by Anglophone countries didn't help these.

The Francophone countries generally decolonised well initially, in part because of a Francophone elite and French continuing support, but more recently the rot has set in.
  • Options

But maybe not by Normans.

• Options

Preferably in red coats
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Which is why we should all be wary of Verhofstadht.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Pulpstar said:

Not "good" - but arguably "least worst".....

Compare the relative fates of the British, Dutch, French, Portuguese and Spanish/American colonies in South East Asia for example.
  • Options
    Mr. Fire, those redcoats put Boney in his place ;)
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

AndyJS said:
    Guardian caught in Misleading Clickbait Headline Shocker?

Say it ain't so, Joe!
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

@nigel4england - I think Man Utd are a sell at 77, but spread betting isn't for me.

I love it but it doesn't suit every market.

Good for political betting though.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

stodge said:

I'd like to read the report in full.

The only impression I got from the BBC is that Taylor wants cash in hand work to be taxed, which will never happen unless cash goes because it's in the interests of neither party.
    Might be good for some small business for example a cafe to be cashless.Time saved in cashing up and traveling to a distant bank.Safety for their employees no cash on premises.More and more use of contactless payment for speed of use.However as you say unless cash goes , cash in hand work will never be taxed because it's in the interests of neither party ,when they are getting their car washed gardening done or small works around the house.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,375
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:
    She is merely saying what she personally does, not demanding that everyone else agrees - it's a sidebar to her main point that they should improve their employment practices.

I think they'll need to - they've been effectively banned altogether in Denmark and I think one or two other places.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

It all makes sense now.

John Major allegedly used the phrase in 1992:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/mitterrand-and-heath-add-to-majors-woes-pms-views-on-single-currency-challenged-embarrassing-1487349.html

"The Sun trumped that with extracts from a tape of off-the-record chat between Mr Major and Jonathan Dimbleby after a BBC election phone-in last year - in which the Prime Minister spoke of three factors explaining why Tory strength was being underestimated. There was, he said, the 'high fuck-up factor', with Tory voters telling pollsters one thing and canvassers another; the 'bugger-you-all factor'; and 'the nigger in the woodpile is the local factor'."
    Didn't a Labour councillor get in trouble for using the same phrase recently?
  • Options

Mr. England, whilst not really an area of interest for me, those are intriguing suggestions. Bit wary of short odds, especially with a long time frame, though.

Me too, but happy with spread betting long term markets as you don't have to pony up the stake.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,041

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:
    She is merely saying what she personally does, not demanding that everyone else agrees - it's a sidebar to her main point that they should improve their employment practices.

I think they'll need to - they've been effectively banned altogether in Denmark and I think one or two other places.
    I believe they are banned in Germany. I use them in Austria and Finland simply because they are more convenient than taxis - price is irrelevant as I expense it anyway....
  • Options

But maybe not by Normans.

Or Vikings.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:
    One of those quotations that subtly changes meaning when taken in isolation. Journalists are very fond of those.
    Personally I find Danish bacon morally unacceptable so I don't consume it myself, but it is for others to make their own mind up on it.
  • Options
    Mr. England, I'd hoped to pay attention to the F1 points spread betting this year, with a view to dipping in my toe next, but they don't have it. Instead, there's a rubbish ranking market. Humbug!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The worst period was when Leopold ran the Congo Free State as a private colony. When the Belgian government took over in 1908 things began to improve. It was a fairly well developed place, albeit heavily racist, by the time it gained independence in the 1960's and turned into a kleptocracy.
  • Options
    I'm not happy with all this dissing of Belgium, how can anyone hate or say anything negative about a country that created to annoy the French.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Sheffield :>
  • Options
    eek said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

I believe they are banned in Germany. I use them in Austria and Finland simply because they are more convenient than taxis - price is irrelevant as I expense it anyway....
    I never, ever use them in London.

Black cab drivers have spent years doing the knowledge in their own time and at their own expense, and are by far the safest cabs to take.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,526

TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

TOPPING said:

ot of the blame.

"As t

Also worth noting is that Rwanda was never a French Colony, it was part of German East Africa, who found the Tutsi usuful as a ruling class, then a Belgian mandate until independence, who continued this policy.

In Africa, no one is innocent.

Incidentally, machetes are very cheap in tropical Africa, just a couple of quid and sold in every market as agricultural tools.
    Rwanda's subsequent dislike of the French was sufficient to make it switch its second language from French to English, and apply to join the Commonwealth, however. I was there the year they switched all school teaching from French to English, which was done from the beginning of one team in a 'big bang' and with some of the expected chaos, but appears to have quickly bedded down.
  • Options

India is the world's largest democracy, and has a significant amount of civil and physical infrastructure that dates to colonial times.

Hong Kong is a beacon that shows up mainland China's rhetoric that the Chinese aren't suited and don't want free speech or democracy for the nonsense it really is.
  • Options
    eek said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

That's the spirit.
  • Options

Slightly selective historical analysis there, Mr Dancer.

The Russian efforts in the 1812 Campaign and the alliance that defeated the French at Leipzig were clearly of no importance.

It's also accepted that even if Napoleon had beaten Wellington at Waterloo, significant Prussian and Russian forces would have been on the French in a few days.

We shouldn't also forget the role of Blucher at Waterloo who undoubtedly ensured French victory whereas a bloody draw looked the most likely outcome had the Prussians not arrived.

As a historian, I'm happy to acknowledge the influential role Britain has played - in WW2 the period 1940-41 was pivotal to the outcome but it can't be forgotten that ultimate victory was mainly down to the Russians and the sheer logistical superiority of the Americans which overcame the superiority, in my view, of the Germans in technology in many areas. Yes, we played a significant role but ours wasn't the only role and in the end probably not the most significant except from keeping the struggle going alone after the fall of France.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Pulpstar said:

It was the British Lord Delamere who took his first look at the Kenyan Highlands and said they were so good they were "white man's country". There's a clue in that.

In the same vein it's a bit rich that Europe deplores the hordes of Africans pouring in across the Mediterranean, given how unreticent we were about pouring in the other direction.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,810
    edited July 2017
    Dura_Ace said:

Pulpstar said:

The Norman French?

PS Or the Anglo Saxons?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,464

Pulpstar said:

The worst period was when Leopold ran the Congo Free State as a private colony. When the Belgian government took over in 1908 things began to improve. It was a fairly well developed place, albeit heavily racist, by the time it gained independence in the 1960's and turned into a kleptocracy.
    Conrad's Heart of Darkness is based on the Congo iirc.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Pulpstar said:

The Norman French?

PS Or the Anglo Saxons?
    The Romans tamed and civilised the savages living here I think.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, Belgium also has a splendid F1 circuit.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Mr. Eagles, Belgium also has a splendid F1 circuit.

Not to mention hilarious borders. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baarle-Nassau
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    stodge said:

As a historian, I'm happy to acknowledge the influential role Britain has played - in WW2 the period 1940-41 was pivotal to the outcome but it can't be forgotten that ultimate victory was mainly down to the Russians and the sheer logistical superiority of the Americans
    Yes, but take any one of the three out and the result would have been very different.
  • Options
  • Options
    Mr. Anorak, it is a silly place.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

FF43 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Pulpstar said:

The Norman French?

PS Or the Anglo Saxons?
    The Romans tamed and civilised the savages living here I think.
    The locals were getting there though.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Mr. Anorak, it is a silly place.

In times of yore publicans would have to close half their establishment as the licensing hours were different on each side of the building.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Conrad's Heart of Darkness is based on the Congo iirc.
    Yes, but in the Congo Free State period, not when it was a Belgian colony.
  • Options
    Mr. Anorak, I've heard of such things, and half the chairs in a restaurant being piled on tables because that half was shut.
This discussion has been closed.