Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It looks like David Davis will ensure the Brexit delivered is

2»

Comments

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    edited July 2017

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

If this government persists with this line, it will break up. Many Tory MPs will not go along with this. Another referendum will be called by Parliament [ as it is it's sovereign right ] and that will settle matters.

Didn't Labour's manifesto also say they would leave the single market/customs union?
    Certainly, nothing Davis and Hammond have said contradicts what Corbyn and Starmer have said either. Both Labour and the Tories are committed to leaving the single market and the customs union to control free movement, a transition period does not stop that eventuality. Of the main parties only the LDs maintain the pretence of keeping membership of the single market
    Labour's manifesto said: "We will scrap the Conservatives’ Brexit White Paper and replace it with fresh negotiating priorities that have a strong emphasis on retaining the benefits of the Single Market and the Customs Union – which are essential for maintaining industries, jobs and businesses in Britain. "

Nothing about leaving the single market/customs union unless I have missed it.
    Corbyn said in the leader's debate that the UK would leave the Single Market under Labour.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,952
    edited July 2017
    Mortimer said:

I've just had my best ever July.

Yes, already, by the 7th. The economy seems to be going gangbusters.

I'm sure your antiquarian books are going down a storm with Leavers. They remember them first time round. Do they pay you in groats?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,953
    So the past 2-3 day's of remorseless "pressure" from Remainers to scrap Brexit was for nothing then?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Merkel, Europe's natural leader (including the UK):

https://twitter.com/MattChorley/status/883272349591666688
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

If this government persists with this line, it will break up. Many Tory MPs will not go along with this. Another referendum will be called by Parliament [ as it is it's sovereign right ] and that will settle matters.

Didn't Labour's manifesto also say they would leave the single market/customs union?
    Certainly, nothing Davis and Hammond have said contradicts what Corbyn and Starmer have said either. Both Labour and the Tories are committed to leaving the single market and the customs union to control free movement, a transition period does not stop that eventuality. Of the main parties only the LDs maintain the pretence of keeping membership of the single market
    Labour's manifesto said: "We will scrap the Conservatives’ Brexit White Paper and replace it with fresh negotiating priorities that have a strong emphasis on retaining the benefits of the Single Market and the Customs Union – which are essential for maintaining industries, jobs and businesses in Britain. "

Nothing about leaving the single market/customs union unless I have missed it.
    Corbyn said in the leader's debate that the UK would leave the Single Market under Labour.
    (and @Essexit)

Yep - I had forgotten about that.

If or when Corbyn does become PM it will be interesting to see how much he will be able to divert from the published manifesto.

Of course it will be a fresh Labour manifesto before that point unless events take a turn outlandish even by recent standards.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    Roger said:

Mortimer said:

I'm sure your antiquarian books are going down a storm with Leavers. They remember them first time round. To they pay you in groats?
    The world is so binary to you, isn't it?

The rest of us have moved on. After all, we're all leaving now...
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Roger said:

Just listened to a interview with Ian Hislop where he described himself as an unashamed Remoaner who would continue Remoaning indefinitely. As he said when a Party loses an election it doesn't pack its bags and say it's all yours.....

But the point is that the intelligent media business the professions the City academia the vast majority of thinking people (and we all know what that means are on one side and for that reason I really can see it happening.

The other side might have a slightly larger army but against all the generals and modern weaponry it counts for nothing. It's now easier to visualize this government-and even the next- falling than theresa May's version of Brexit ever becoming enacted.

Yes I know, all the nice people who holiday in Tuscany and eat truffles think it's a frightful idea so it won't happen.
    I wouldn't go that far. Enough to say educated people who aren't fearful of foreigners.
  • Options
    Roger said:

welshowl said:

Roger said:

Just listened to a interview with Ian Hislop where he described himself as an unashamed Remoaner who would continue Remoaning indefinitely. As he said when a Party loses an election it doesn't pack its bags and say it's all yours.....

But the point is that the intelligent media business the professions the City academia the vast majority of thinking people (and we all know what that means are on one side and for that reason I really can see it happening.

The other side might have a slightly larger army but against all the generals and modern weaponry it counts for nothing. It's now easier to visualize this government-and even the next- falling than theresa May's version of Brexit ever becoming enacted.

Yes I know, all the nice people who holiday in Tuscany and eat truffles think it's a frightful idea so it won't happen.
    I wouldn't go that far. Enough to say educated people who aren't fearful of foreigners.
    It must be great in your happy shiny world.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Mortimer said:

currystar said:

The country voted for brexit so it has to be brexit. I voted remain but I believe in democracy

I note this now remains the sole argument advanced for Brexit.

Apparently, having placed the muzzle to our temple, we must pull the trigger, "or there'll be blood on the streets".

What happens if we've changed our minds?

Who decides that it is a possibility?
    It starts with people directly involved in the process changing their minds. Do they have enough strength of conviction to get through two years with most of the country against them and with the rest of the world looking on in bemusement?
    I believe a key moment will be when the EU demand an exit fee. All polls have shown resistance to a fee and outright rejection of 100 billion suggested by some on the EU side.

UK opinion could swing very much against the EU if they overplay their hand
    Or maybe it will swing against the Brexiteers who said we could exit cost-free
    I do not see the UK voter paying a substantial exit fee, indeed can anyone imagine any politician endorsing a large exit fee. The vast majority will say no
    I agree. It is why the talks will halt and hard Brexit happen.

Hard Brexit is the default option and just 20 short months away. A modicum of preparation would be wise.
    You may be right but not sure - again this is who knows ?
    As it is the default option, hard Brexit is a likely outcome. It takes both sides to agree and to get it past their legislatures to have anything else.

Active plans for hard Brexit, such as constructingnew customs parks in Kent and Ireland, and major customs recruitment, for example. In addition advice to farmers, workers and industries on what our WTO tariffs would be. Plan for the worst and hope for the best is the right position.

The Gentleman Amateur winging it is not the way forward.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    tlg86 said:

Lol! BBC piece on migrants in France end by saying one family want to move to the UK because they like the government!

At least someone likes May then.......

Next people will be pretending to claim asylum here because they prefer English sparking wine to Champagne.........
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Mortimer said:

Roger said:

Mortimer said:

I'm sure your antiquarian books are going down a storm with Leavers. They remember them first time round. To they pay you in groats?
    The world is so binary to you, isn't it?

The rest of us have moved on. After all, we're all leaving now...
    The government is making such a hash of it I'm not sure.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

currystar said:

The country voted for brexit so it has to be brexit. I voted remain but I believe in democracy

The country can also vote not to have Brexit. Parliament is sovereign. So the Brexiters told us. Parliament can call for another referendum, this time there will be real information.

That will be democracy in action.
    You have made it patently clear you neither understand nor respect democracy. It is no wonder you are such a Euroloon. You share their contempt for the democratic process.

Parliament is sovereign. It can pass an Act to hold a referendum on any subject it deems proper by a majority voting for it.

That is democracy.
    The people are sovereign, you dolt. Parliament is elected by the people.
    The Queen is sovereign.
  • Options

Roger said:

welshowl said:

Roger said:

I'm not going to argue with 'Britain's finest' at a time like this even over something as depressing as Brexit
  • Options

Macron more popular in the UK than May too.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Roger said:

welshowl said:

Roger said:

Economics BA Hons (Cantab), big fan of foreigners, former Vote Leave constituency co-ordinator here.
  • Options

Macron more popular in the UK than May too.
    A floating turd is more popular........
  • Options
    nunuone said:

tlg86 said:

Lol! BBC piece on migrants in France end by saying one family want to move to the UK because they like the government!

At least someone likes May then.......

Next people will be pretending to claim asylum here because they prefer English sparking wine to Champagne.........
    Perhaps they are also Radiohead fans...
  • Options
    sealo0sealo0 Posts: 48

sealo0 said:

O/t I'm amazed over the last 7 months I have been polled by Yougov three times.

First time this year was in February and then not once until Fri 30th June and again just now. Both very political and this time a little more about Brexit.

So not once during the election but twice since.

I do not recall seeing any results from the pol of the 30th June. I'll wait and see if we get results from this one?

Mike

Yougov have just polled me on AV and Scottish type PR etc.

One to look out for!
    I did not get either of those?

Mike
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    Essexit said:

Roger said:

welshowl said:

Roger said:

Economics BA Hons (Cantab), big fan of foreigners, former Vote Leave constituency co-ordinator here.
    History BA Hons (Oxon), foreigner fan here
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    a

It's a while since Putin was more popular than the US President with most countries in Europe.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Essexit said:

Roger said:

welshowl said:

Roger said:

We don't fit into Roger's bigoted worldview.
  • Options
    sealo0 said:

sealo0 said:

O/t I'm amazed over the last 7 months I have been polled by Yougov three times.

First time this year was in February and then not once until Fri 30th June and again just now. Both very political and this time a little more about Brexit.

So not once during the election but twice since.

I do not recall seeing any results from the pol of the 30th June. I'll wait and see if we get results from this one?

Mike

Yougov have just polled me on AV and Scottish type PR etc.

One to look out for!
    I did not get either of those?

Mike
    It came to me July 3rd. Sounds like part of the British Electoral survey. Constituency specific questions on how I would vote under different systems.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Essexit said:

Roger said:

welshowl said:

Roger said:

"Big fan of foreigners"

Hmmm why should people be a "fan" of immigration, immigration should be all about a mural benefit to the host nation and migrant. No need to prove ourselves to bigots like roger, tyson et al.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Mortimer said:

Essexit said:

Roger said:

welshowl said:

Roger said:

We don't fit into Roger's bigoted worldview.
    To be fair Roger did say educated.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029

Completely O/T but can anyone give any advice as to why I can logon to PB to comment from my macbook no problem but if I try to logon from my imac or iphone, I put in my username and password, press enter, the screen refreshes with no error but I am not logged on?

Totally baffled. Just concerned you guys are all missing out on my wise and witty contributions whenever I am not on my macbook :smiley:

Try logging on via the Vanilla site. That might make it stick

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/5206/politicalbetting-com-blog-archive-it-looks-like-david-davis-will-ensure-the-brexit-delivered-is/p1
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    @Roger

The (self) irony is I spent this morning in the Pisan hills going round a monastery with a guide chatting in a blend of Italian French and English. Wonderful it was. We're not all knuckle dragging xenophobia. Some of us have a deep belief in democracy and a deep disquiet as to how the EU is eroding and will erode that.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

Ishmael_Z said:

The downside to a lengthy transition is what, exactly?

Farage and the hardcore get the horn over leaving Brexiteers will make the life of the government untenable.

I suspect if Labour were lead by a passionate pro-European the situation might be different.
    God bless, Jeremy Corbyn. :wink:
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

welshowl said:

Roger said:

I'm not going to argue with 'Britain's finest' at a time like this even over something as depressing as Brexit
    Fliipin' heck, Rog! The "Finest" are always coppers, you have to call us "The Bravest".

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,852

While May is even less popular in Germany than Putin. Which I think unfair, and I'm not a fan of May
  • Options
    May really paid a price for her hand holding. On reflection an early sign her political antenna were bust.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,852
    Mortimer said:

surbiton said:

Mortimer said:

surbiton said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

currystar said:

The country can also vote not to have Brexit. Parliament is sovereign. So the Brexiters told us. Parliament can call for another referendum, this time there will be real information.

That will be democracy in action.
    What would you do if you lost a second time around? Argue for best out of five?
    We voted to stay in in 1975. If that vote can be overturned by another referendum, then we can have another one, as long as Parliament passes the Act to do so. Parliament is sovereign, remember.

Lets face it, you lot are getting nervous that there will be no Brexit after all. No Soft, hard, runny whatever. The game is up.
    Erm, go and read the thread header. Proper Brexit it is.
    Getting frit, eh ? Is Hammond on your side ?
    Not at all. I'm confident we'll Brexit and that it will massively reduce low paid immigration.

I am confident of that too. I wasn't before because I didn't think Brexit would make a difference to immigration, beyond the effect of the recession caused by it. In fact you can discourage immigrants simply by making them feel unwelcome. It's not exactly "control" and it's not really a good thing for several reasons. But it does get the numbers down and that's all this government cares about.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    welshowl said:

@Roger

The (self) irony is I spent this morning in the Pisan hills going round a monastery with a guide chatting in a blend of Italian French and English. Wonderful it was. We're not all knuckle dragging xenophobia. Some of us have a deep belief in democracy and a deep disquiet as to how the EU is eroding and will erode that.

It sounds wonderful.

Yet you think giving the likes of Theresa May Jeremy Corbyn and the Queen a bit more notional power is worth the downside of losing our citizenship of 28 other of the finest countries in the world?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,272
    Personal view: we shouldn't worry too much about our relationship with the EU. ultimately, they need us as much as we need them, and a free trade deal works for them as well as for us.

More concerning is our lack of progress in replicating the EU's network of trading agreements with the rest of the world. It is looking increasingly likely that we will end up with roughly the same trade relationship with the EU at the end of the process, but with significantly worse arrangements with the US, Canada, Mexico, South Korea, the EFTA states, and Japan.

Dr Fox is arrogant, lazy and disinterested in detail. He is the worst possible man to be in charge of forging new year agreements.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,272
    Why have neither Mortimer nor Essexit taken their MAs yet?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,624
    Mortimer said:

Essexit said:

Roger said:

welshowl said:

Roger said:

Sunil Prasannan, BSc (Hons), ARCS, PhD :)
  • Options
    Prof.Cycl (rospa)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Personal view: we shouldn't worry too much about our relationship with the EU. ultimately, they need us as much as we need them, and a free trade deal works for them as well as for us.

More concerning is our lack of progress in replicating the EU's network of trading agreements with the rest of the world. It is looking increasingly likely that we will end up with roughly the same trade relationship with the EU at the end of the process, but with significantly worse arrangements with the US, Canada, Mexico, South Korea, the EFTA states, and Japan.

Dr Fox is arrogant, lazy and disinterested in detail. He is the worst possible man to be in charge of forging new year agreements.

My namesake is uninterested in detail. Disinterested means no conflict of interest.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Essexit said:

Roger said:

welshowl said:

Roger said:

Roger. No qualification. Reading Adam Copnik 'Paris to the Moon'
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Astute question - that's next year for me.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Mortimer said:

Essexit said:

Roger said:

welshowl said:

Roger said:

Foxinsoxuk. second prize in Dog and owner lookalikes, Diamond jubilee street party.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

First rule of PB, never get into willy waving. Especially not academic willy waving.
    There is always a bigger...

• Options

Roger said:

Mortimer said:

Essexit said:

Roger said:

welshowl said:

Roger said:

Foxinsoxuk. second prize in Dog and owner lookalikes, Diamond jubilee street party.
    Like. To be fair, Theresa May and her Bassett hound were always going to win.
  • Options
    F/F Twisted. A few O Levels. Got a few swimming badges as well, and once won a colouring in competition in the old Loughborough weekly paper, way before it became the Loughborough Echo. I cheated though, because my elder sister did for me. No wonder I voted for Brexit.
  • Options

Roger said:

Mortimer said:

Essexit said:

Roger said:

welshowl said:

Roger said:

That must have pissed you off! Did the winner have a pit bull with tattoos?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Roger said:

Mortimer said:

Essexit said:

Roger said:

welshowl said:

Roger said:

Like. To be fair, Theresa May and her Bassett hound were always going to win.
    LOLOL!!
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

welshowl said:

Roger said:

Fliipin' heck, Rog! The "Finest" are always coppers, you have to call us "The Bravest".

Dream on! 'The Bravest' are advertisers.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

welshowl said:

Roger said:

The bravest are GPs. Can you imagine having to deal with a 74 male with a chronic case of scrotal rot.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Roger said:

Roger said:

welshowl said:

Roger said:

They all have an appelation here in NYC. Prison guards are "New York's boldest" and the binmen are "New York's strongest." The Sanitation Department also has its own police department, independent of the NYPD. I guess they must be "New York's gold medalists" seeing as they're both strongest and finest.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,603
    So, economics meets politics. The politics will soon catch up with the economics and the backlash over the whole bonkers idea will start.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

welshowl said:

Roger said:

The bravest are GPs. Can you imagine having to deal with a 74 male with a chronic case of scrotal rot.
    I "assisted" an elderly gent out of a metal cockring a couple of weeks ago, if that counts? I'm a dab hand with the Dremel.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Elections for Chairs of Select Committees will take place on Wednesday 12th

Candidates

Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy: Liam Byrne, Ian Lucas, Albert Owen, Rachel Reeves

Communities and Local Government: Clive Betts, David Lammy

Defence: Julian Lewis, Johnny Mercer

Education: Nick Boles, Rehman Chishti, Robert Halfon, Tim Loughton, Stephen Metcalfe, Dan Poulter

Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee: Zac Goldsmith, Neil Parish, Bill Wiggin

Foreign Affairs: John Baron, Crispin Blunt, Tom Tugendhat

Northern Ireland: Nigel Mills, Andrew Murrison

Science and Technology: Norman Lamb, Jo Swinson

Transport: Geraint Davies, Clive Efford, Lillian Greenwood, Bridget Phillipson, Gavin Shuker

Treasury: Richard Bacon, Charlie Elphicke, Stephen Hammond, Nicky Morgan, John Penrose, Jacob Reese Mogg

Backbench Business Committee: Ian Mearns, Angela Smith

Elected unopposed

Culture Media and Sport: Damian Collins

Brexit: Hillary Benn

Health: Sarah Wollaston

Home Affair: Yvette Cooper

International Development: Stephen Twigg

International Trade: Angus MacNeil

Justice: Robert Neill

Scottish Affairs: Pete Wishart

Welsh Affairs: David Davies

Women and Equalities: Maria Miller

Work and Pensions: Frank Field

Environmental Audit: Mary Creagh

Petitions: Helen Jones

Procedure: Charles Walker

Public Accounts: Meg Hillier

Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs: Bernard Jenkin

Standards: Kevin Barron

• Options
    edited July 2017

Jonathan said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

welshowl said:

Roger said:

I "assisted" an elderly gent out of a metal cockring a couple of weeks ago, if that counts? I'm a dab hand with the Dremel.
    That most definitely counts.

Ps I didn't know you knew Mike
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited July 2017

LOL Merkel and Macron are both more popular than TMay here!
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

welshowl said:

Roger said:

Never saw his face, he kept the gimp mask on.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

welshowl said:

Roger said:

Man. When you've Dremelled someone out of a cock ring, I think you can claim to have really lived. More impressive than a BA.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

welshowl said:

Roger said:

Man. When you've Dremelled someone out of a cock ring, I think you can claim to have really lived. More impressive than a BA.
    It wasn't even the first time I've been "hands on" the tools. I feel sorry for London Fire Brigade, having the likes of SeanT to deal with!
  • Options

Candidates

Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy: Liam Byrne, Ian Lucas, Albert Owen, Rachel Reeves

Education: Nick Boles, Rehman Chishti, Robert Halfon, Tim Loughton, Stephen Metcalfe, Dan Poulter

Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee: Zac Goldsmith, Neil Parish, Bill Wiggin

Transport: Geraint Davies, Clive Efford, Lillian Greenwood, Bridget Phillipson, Gavin Shuker

Treasury: Richard Bacon, Charlie Elphicke, Stephen Hammond, Nicky Morgan, John Penrose, Jacob Reese Mogg

Elected unopposed

Blimey. I thought Liam Byrne had given up on being an MP several years ago.

Interesting. Very interesting. Future CoE?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

welshowl said:

Roger said:

It wasn't even the first time I've been "hands on" the tools. I feel sorry for London Fire Brigade, having the likes of SeanT to deal with!
    Where is SeanT? He has been quiet of late...
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,730
    I suspect this post is going to get lost in the late night lack of chatter, but I'll ask anyway.

We've had various dire (and not so dire) predictions of what will happen when we leave the EU because we appear to be heading towards 'hard' Brexit. Has anyone run predictions on what might happen to the UK if we DIDN'T leave?

Picture this. On Monday morning, Theresa May comes out of Downing Street and announces, "After another glorious weekend of hill walking with my husband Philip, I have decided that leaving the EU is just too hard. It will cause too much of a economic shock and I can't in all good conscience allow the UK to suffer in this way. Therefore, I am asking the EU to accept our withdrawal of the Article 50 notification we delivered three months ago."

Assuming they accept, what do people actually think will happen? Both, how the EU will react, and how those who voted LEAVE and would still vote LEAVE would react (and those who voted REMAIN but are democrats first and foremost)?

As a vague idea, I suspect the EU would respond with a list of conditions that are virtually unpalatable anyway (yes, we'll accept the withdrawal provided you [accept the rebate is gone/join the Euro/join Schengen/pay more money to us] (or all four)).

For the UK population, I suspect the answer may be live ammunition.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    David Davis is being disingenuous at best. Only 52% of people voted for Brexit. Some of them have already changed their mind. About half the rest want a soft Brexit. So, yes, there'll be a backlash from about 20% of the population if the Brexiteers' manifesto isn't adhered to. But what about the backlash from the other 80% of the population if it _is_ adhered to? If nothing else, the electoral consequences for the Tory Party are dire.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Mortimer said:

Essexit said:

Roger said:

welshowl said:

Roger said:

That must have pissed you off! Did the winner have a pit bull with tattoos?
    I lost to a pug...

Hard to know whether to be pleased that someone else looks more like their pooch, or disappointed.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,941

Candidates

Elected unopposed

Blimey. I thought Liam Byrne had given up on being an MP several years ago.

Interesting. Very interesting. Future CoE?
    Also interesting that two Lib Dems seem to be competing for Science and Technology.
This discussion has been closed.