Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It appears Brexiteers are finding out they can’t have their ca

1235»

Comments

• Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited July 2017

welshowl said:

GeoffM said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

The US allowed Lehman Brothers to go bust, one of its oldest and biggest investment banks

Well, no one, even Barclays, would buy it. Second, it was an Investment Bank so there was presumably less public exposure.

However, the nature of its collapse became iconic, symbolic and psychologically significant and started a process.

I suspect with hindsight many people wish it had been saved. I doubt its collapse helped McCain in the 2008 election but Obama would probably have won anyway.

iirc the American attempt to sell to Barclays (I almost wrote foist it on) was blocked by the government. Many observers believe the Americans letting Lehman's go bust is what triggered the global crisis.
    "Many"? Name four ... that aren't related to James Gordon Brown.
    A quick google finds the official US government enquiry said: The Commission concludes the financial crisis reached cataclysmic proportions with the collapse of Lehman Brothers.

I expect there were more than four people on the commission but you'd probably dismiss them as biased for saying the crisis started in America and not in Downing Street.

Gordon Brown saved the pound, saved the world, and saved the union. For all his manifest faults, that's a lot of fire insurance when he reaches the pearly gates.
    As long as the pearly gates haven't got any golden bits- 'cos they'd have been flogged off for tuppence by him. Still being checked in up there he wouldn't be needing a pension, which is just as well considering he taxed them and helped screw them over in the private sector.
    Nothing to do with private sector pension funds being stripped in the 1980s then?
    Well no actually. Ours was not stripped and has the only run since the late 80's but back of an envelope Gordon's tax represents 20-25% of the deficit now. What an utter plank of a policy that pension dividend tax was. How to destroy saving for old age in one easy lesson. And all that before the Byzantine wonders of the 2004 Act. Folks will be working till deep into theirs 70's thanks to Brown. He was to pension saving as Stalingrad was to the German army.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Mortimer said:

Do you know what, I'm sick of all this 'neeer, neeer, your side all kept lying about immigration'.

I think sovereignty is really important. But I have also seen the negative impacts of uncontrolled EU immigration on the lives of my family who are not so privileged as to be antiquarian booksellers. I've seen their standards of living decline. I've seen competition for public services increase. Even in the poorest parts of North Wales, most of my generation will never buy a house; despite being better educated than most of their parents, who do own houses. I've seen the relentless pursuit of GDP growth at the expense of real GDP/capita growth. I've seen the long-standing social contract between employer and native employee and government and native eroded, for the sake of neo-liberal growth prospects. It makes me sick.

I do not have anything but respect for those who have come here; but I don't think the numbers in which they've come is beneficial to our social settlement. I think it is, in fact, detrimental.

Immigration IS a big issue. Brexit has to tackle it.

The lie was in purporting to offer a sea change in immigration. I think you'll find it doesn't happen - the economic undercurrent that powers it is too strong.
    I think that too. Even if Brexit crashes the economy to a Greek style 25% GDP drop (which may well be on the cards anyway due to public and private debt), effects would balance. A lot of EU migrants would depart, but the differential in income and standard of living will continue much the same for African and Asian migrants, even the purely economic ones. Ones fleeing wars or environmental destruction from global warming would have a double reason to come.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,231
    The Daily Dad's Army has them on the run;

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/883062989338836994
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Mortimer said:

Do you know what, I'm sick of all this 'neeer, neeer, your side all kept lying about immigration'.

I think sovereignty is really important. But I have also seen the negative impacts of uncontrolled EU immigration on the lives of my family who are not so privileged as to be antiquarian booksellers. I've seen their standards of living decline. I've seen competition for public services increase. Even in the poorest parts of North Wales, most of my generation will never buy a house; despite being better educated than most of their parents, who do own houses. I've seen the relentless pursuit of GDP growth at the expense of real GDP/capita growth. I've seen the long-standing social contract between employer and native employee and government and native eroded, for the sake of neo-liberal growth prospects. It makes me sick.

I do not have anything but respect for those who have come here; but I don't think the numbers in which they've come is beneficial to our social settlement. I think it is, in fact, detrimental.

Immigration IS a big issue. Brexit has to tackle it.

The lie was in purporting to offer a sea change in immigration. I think you'll find it doesn't happen - the economic undercurrent that powers it is too strong.
    I think that too. Even if Brexit crashes the economy to a Greek style 25% GDP drop (which may well be on the cards anyway due to public and private debt), effects would balance. A lot of EU migrants would depart, but the differential in income and standard of living will continue much the same for African and Asian migrants, even the purely economic ones. Ones fleeing wars or environmental destruction from global warming would have a double reason to come. </blockquote

For whatever reason, good, bad, or indifferent, our geography means that in any kind of meaningful numbers it is and will be a political choice who comes here.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,957

Incidentally, this is something I don't think the EU realises. We've never lost. We've never been occupied. We've never had political extremism triumph. That is one of the many reasons why Leave is not as daunting for Britain as it would be for any other European nation.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,210

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

How quickly Leavers abandon the need to control immigration when they realise that the current path of the Brexit negotiations is leading down a very unpromising path.

Perhaps they should have thought about it before pandering to xenophobia.

It was immigration which got Leave 52% certainly and that is all down to Blair's failure to impose transition controls on migration from the new accession countries in 2004
    Reading this thread has been an education. In the event of Brexit being a woeful catastrophe it is now clear who is to blame for the ultimate fiasco! Blair for his mismanagement of pan-European migration. Brown for crashing the world economy and Corbyn for his hatred of multi-nation trading blocs (except for the Soviet Union).

Please note, Brexit looking calamitous has absolutely nothing to do with a vanity referendum, a vanity bids to become leader of the Conservative Party and hence PM or a vanity General Election.
    It is Blair and Brown who created the forces necessary for the Brexit vote certainly
    Blair was indeed responsible for the fall of the Roman Empire!
    Funny how Schroeder, Chirac, Berlusconi and Aznar all agreed transition controls on free movement from the new accession countries in 2004 and none have had as big a rise in an anti EU party (and hence a Leave vote) as we have had with the rise of UKIP after Blair failed to impose transition controls
    Not sure those are good examples. Both France and Italy have anti EU parties with bigger voteshares than the kipppers ever managed here.
    FN was already in 17% in 2002, UKIP went from 3% to 13% by 2015 and even more in European elections
  • Options

Is your favourite Dad's Army character Wilson?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,882
    welshowl said:

welshowl said:

GeoffM said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

The US allowed Lehman Brothers to go bust, one of its oldest and biggest investment banks

Well, no one, even Barclays, would buy it. Second, it was an Investment Bank so there was presumably less public exposure.

However, the nature of its collapse became iconic, symbolic and psychologically significant and started a process.

I suspect with hindsight many people wish it had been saved. I doubt its collapse helped McCain in the 2008 election but Obama would probably have won anyway.

iirc the American attempt to sell to Barclays (I almost wrote foist it on) was blocked by the government. Many observers believe the Americans letting Lehman's go bust is what triggered the global crisis.
    A quick google finds the official US government enquiry said: The Commission concludes the financial crisis reached cataclysmic proportions with the collapse of Lehman Brothers.

I expect there were more than four people on the commission but you'd probably dismiss them as biased for saying the crisis started in America and not in Downing Street.

Gordon Brown saved the pound, saved the world, and saved the union. For all his manifest faults, that's a lot of fire insurance when he reaches the pearly gates.
    As long as the pearly gates haven't got any golden bits- 'cos they'd have been flogged off for tuppence by him. Still being checked in up there he wouldn't be needing a pension, which is just as well considering he taxed them and helped screw them over in the private sector.
    Nothing to do with private sector pension funds being stripped in the 1980s then?
    Well no actually. Ours was not stripped and has the only run since the late 80's but back of an envelope Gordon's tax represents 20-25% of the deficit now. What an utter plank of a policy that pension dividend tax was. How to destroy saving for old age in one easy lesson. And all that before the Byzantine wonders of the 2004 Act. Folks will be working till deep into theirs 70's thanks to Brown. He was to pension saving as Stalingrad was to the German army.
    Presumably Osborne reversed this in his first budget 7 years ago then? Oh...
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Mortimer said:

Incidentally, this is something I don't think the EU realises. We've never lost. We've never been occupied. We've never had political extremism triumph. That is one of the many reasons why Leave is not as daunting for Britain as it would be for any other European nation.
    So what is the threat? That they will treat us like any outsider, non-EU country liked we asked them to?

No favours. We asked to leave and out we go.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

GeoffM said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Gordon Brown started the nationalisation of banks and mass bailouts which gave the biggest boost to the populist left in half a century, after all if bankers could be protected from capitalism why can't the rest of us? If capitalism had been allowed to run its course and more banks been allowed to go under like Lehmans that argument would have been more difficult to make
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

14th October 1066
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,231
    Mortimer said:

Which is why I've always said that Brexit will provide the cathartic defeat that is needed for the British to sign up to the EU project. It's the last hurrah for Euroscepticism.

There is also an honour in it, I think. In any other nation, the risk of a failed attempt to leave the EU turning into something uglier than gallows humour and derision for the government would be much greater.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    HYUFD said:

GeoffM said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Gordon Brown started the nationalisation of banks and mass bailouts which gave the biggest boost to the populist left in half a century, after all if bankers could be protected from capitalism why can't the rest of us? If capitalism had been allowed to run its course and more banks been allowed to go under like Lehmans that argument would have been more difficult to make
    And wages wouldn't have been paid, and ATMs would have run dry
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/07/05/on-world-affairs-most-g20-countries-more-confident-in-merkel-than-trump/

I wonder how Trump feels that more people in the US are looking to Merkel rather than himself to lead in regard to world affairs (according to Pew). Awkward....

People who would not vote for him so I doubt he gives a flying fuck.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

So what is the threat? That they will treat us like any outsider, non-EU country liked we asked them to?

No problem there - they won't be wanting any 'divorce payment', then, presumably?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

GeoffM said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Brown could never allow major retail banks to fail - the effects would have been catastrophic for this country. Osborne would have done the same, as would any other chancellor.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Which is why I've always said that Brexit will provide the cathartic defeat that is needed for the British to sign up to the EU project. It's the last hurrah for Euroscepticism.

There is also an honour in it, I think. In any other nation, the risk of a failed attempt to leave the EU turning into something uglier than gallows humour and derision for the government would be much greater.
    You assume it will be a defeat?

I just looked at the WTO MFN tarriffs for my business. 0%. Worldwide.

We're going to thrive as an independent nation.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

How quickly Leavers abandon the need to control immigration when they realise that the current path of the Brexit negotiations is leading down a very unpromising path.

Perhaps they should have thought about it before pandering to xenophobia.

It was immigration which got Leave 52% certainly and that is all down to Blair's failure to impose transition controls on migration from the new accession countries in 2004
    Reading this thread has been an education. In the event of Brexit being a woeful catastrophe it is now clear who is to blame for the ultimate fiasco! Blair for his mismanagement of pan-European migration. Brown for crashing the world economy and Corbyn for his hatred of multi-nation trading blocs (except for the Soviet Union).

Please note, Brexit looking calamitous has absolutely nothing to do with a vanity referendum, a vanity bids to become leader of the Conservative Party and hence PM or a vanity General Election.
    It is Blair and Brown who created the forces necessary for the Brexit vote certainly
    Errr? No, Mr Cameron called the referendum and Mr Johnson inadvertently won it in a bid to become Prime Minister. What has happened since the vote has been bewildering! Mrs May's triggering Article 50 on some random day she picked out of thin air without first getting even her first duck in order was nothing short of dereliction of duty!
    It was Blair's failure to impose transition controls in 2004 which gave Vote Leave their biggest piece of ammunition
  • Options

Quite. But £100bn plus deficit is a bit of a restrained.

It was an utterly destructive and idiotic policy from Brown. The bill is yet to really come in in the shape of smaller matured pension funds, but it's out there, and it will have big effects. The man was an utter fool on this issue. Eating the seed corn par excellence.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited July 2017

Pong said:

Did any PB'ers with a hypermind account follow my betting tip on 22nd Jan?

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/post/quote/4487/Comment_1409358

I don't understand hypermind probabilities.

https://hypermind.com/hypermind/app.html?fwd=#welcome

When will Donald Trump first shake hands with Vladimir Putin?

In 2016
    1%
    First quarter 2017
    50%
    Second quarter 2017
    32%
    Third quarter 2017
    9%
    Fourth quarter 2017
    3%
    Not before 2018
    5%

Surely the 11/1 on "Third quarter 2017" (G20 meeting is in early July) & also 20/1 on "Not before 2018" are both fantastic value?

Why would there be an 82% chance they will meet and shake hands in the next 23 weeks?

Does anyone know if these odds/percentages are actual prices that punters can bet at?
    Good tip but did you find a bookmaker?
    I tried to sign up with hypermind but didn't get anywhere. I got the impression a few PB'ers were on their "panel" from some posts a while back.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

GeoffM said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Brown could never allow major retail banks to fail - the effects would have been catastrophic for this country. Osborne would have done the same, as would any other chancellor.
    Agreed.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited July 2017
    MaxPB said:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/07/05/on-world-affairs-most-g20-countries-more-confident-in-merkel-than-trump/

I wonder how Trump feels that more people in the US are looking to Merkel rather than himself to lead in regard to world affairs (according to Pew). Awkward....

As said before, he's proven to be very sensitive to criticism....which generally comes from people who wouldn't vote for him. It was only recently we had him attacking the Morning Joe hosts on Twitter and that comment he made about Mika in particular was pretty vicious. And that's just one incident I'm mentioning.

Apparently the reason he isn't coming for the State Visit any time soon is because he's scared of protests! Trump is known for being thin skinned. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/11/donald-trump-state-visit-to-britain-put-on-hold
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Complete rubbish, we never signed up even to the EEC project in the first place, we never signed up to the Euro, like Scandinavia, Switzerland and Eastern Europe we will never be at the heart of the EU project. We should now return to EFTA where we belong
  • Options

HYUFD said:

GeoffM said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

No Osborne would probably at least have allowed Northern Rock to go bust
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Complete rubbish, we never signed up even to the EEC project in the first place, we never signed up to the Euro, like Scandinavia, Switzerland and Eastern Europe we will never be at the heart of the EU project. We should now return to EFTA where we belong
    Ha, well I agree with the last point, given where we are now - EFTA would be the best solution!
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited July 2017
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

twitter.com/hendopolis/status/883062989338836994

No problem there - they won't be wanting any 'divorce payment', then, presumably?
    They will just be asking us to settle the bills we agreed to run up as members. Perfectly normal.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Mortimer said:

It's the Brexiteers that don't understand the European experience, not the other way round

It is a mark of Britain’s estrangement from the European Union – and, at least for now, the country’s diminished standing on the international stage – that although Theresa May attended a memorial service to Helmut Kohl at the weekend, she was not invited to speak.

yet another reminder that the British, or most of them at any rate, have never really understood the European project. Or rather, the European’s Europe was not the British Europe.

Britain cannot avoid Europe but it has never imagined itself a full part of the continent; our history is European but not altogether of Europe.

Britain’s war story unavoidably meant we never understood the emotional appeal of the European project. Our finest hour was their darkest and, at least in terms of the painstakingly slow construction of the new Europe – a project that’s been sixty years in the making and is not finished yet – we never, really, truly, appreciated what it was was all about. What we saw as traps and the erosion of the nation state, they understood as safeguards. What we took to be German expansionism – albeit by peaceful means – they saw as constraints on German power. Germany would be embedded – buried, actually – in Europe.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/07/brexit-retreat-not-liberation/
  • Options
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

GeoffM said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Not if Northern Rock for example had not been bailed out, though I accept there came a point where the government had to intervene
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

twitter.com/hendopolis/status/883062989338836994

They will just be asking us to settle the bills we agreed to run up as members. Perfectly normal.
    Nah, if they want to treat us like any outside, non EU country, they shouldnt expect any further contributions.

Now, if they're going to be sensible, and stop threatening us, they might get some cash to fill their budget chasm.
  • Options
    Lordy.

So things aren't going well for the Tories then....
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited July 2017

twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/883068091386781697

Good to know....

https://www.axios.com/canada-aims-to-lure-talent-from-silicon-valley-2450964438.html
  • Options
    @nunuone 9:31pm... The Tories will be cheered by this then! :smile:
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    Who cares so long as Corbyn's trots never get their evil hands on the levers of power.
  • Options
    Well Survation had the Tories ahead at the weekend and unlike Yougov they called the general election result right
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Wake me up in 2022.

More importantly, any Brexit questions?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Ha, well I agree with the last point, given where we are now - EFTA would be the best solution!
    Long term I agree
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667

MaxPB said:

As said before, he's proven to be very sensitive to criticism....which generally comes from people who wouldn't vote for him. It was only recently we had him attacking the Morning Joe hosts on Twitter and that comment he made about Mika in particular was pretty vicious. And that's just one incident I'm mentioning.

Apparently the reason he isn't coming for the State Visit any time soon is because he's scared of protests! Trump is known for being thin skinned. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/11/donald-trump-state-visit-to-britain-put-on-hold
    None of that made him change his policies, which is what we really need to happen. If he spouts off on Twitter about some arsehole it just helps him motivate his base. If anything this kind of polling will make trump think he is right about America not being great. That they look to some foreign liberal as a more influential world leader than the POTUS. Clearly it isn't true. Trump has done more to change global politics in 6 months that Merkel has done on 10 years.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @jameschappers: Suggestions that @CraigOliver100 is making an INTERVENTION on tonight's @bbcquestiontime #popcorn
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Mortimer said:

It's the Brexiteers that don't understand the European experience, not the other way round

It is a mark of Britain’s estrangement from the European Union – and, at least for now, the country’s diminished standing on the international stage – that although Theresa May attended a memorial service to Helmut Kohl at the weekend, she was not invited to speak.

yet another reminder that the British, or most of them at any rate, have never really understood the European project. Or rather, the European’s Europe was not the British Europe.

Britain cannot avoid Europe but it has never imagined itself a full part of the continent; our history is European but not altogether of Europe.

Britain’s war story unavoidably meant we never understood the emotional appeal of the European project. Our finest hour was their darkest and, at least in terms of the painstakingly slow construction of the new Europe – a project that’s been sixty years in the making and is not finished yet – we never, really, truly, appreciated what it was was all about. What we saw as traps and the erosion of the nation state, they understood as safeguards. What we took to be German expansionism – albeit by peaceful means – they saw as constraints on German power. Germany would be embedded – buried, actually – in Europe.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/07/brexit-retreat-not-liberation/
    Fundamentally unsuited in the same political union.

Glad you're finally spotting it.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    edited July 2017
    I'm inclined to think UNS might work quite well for 2022, the big leave-remain switch (Overwashed by the youth surge) has happened in this election just gone.

Lab 329
    SNP 28

Gives a small but very comfortable majority to Corbyn (Or his succesor).

Though 5 years is 'quite a while' in politics.

Interesting Lab gains on UNS:

Cities of London/Westminster,
    Wimbledon
    Shipley.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342
    welshowl said:

Quite. But £100bn plus deficit is a bit of a restrained.

It was an utterly destructive and idiotic policy from Brown. The bill is yet to really come in in the shape of smaller matured pension funds, but it's out there, and it will have big effects. The man was an utter fool on this issue. Eating the seed corn par excellence.

Browns move was stupid but final salary pensions were always going to be doomed by longer life expectancy and poor investment returns since he turn of the century.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,728
    GeoffM said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

GeoffM said:

RoyalBlue said:

Ireland will never leave the EU. There is no point even discussing it!

It'd be wonderful on so many levels.

The Irish would be free of EU rule and Beverley_C would have to discover a Greek aunt so she can move there instead.
    Go to Dublin.

See the flags of many European nations fluttering in the breeze.

Look for the butcher's apron.

You won't see it.
    The mask slips.

It's ok if I call those who fly the EU flag here the traitor's apron, then?
    Childish comment, but sadly typical of you.

My point is that that's what the Irish call the Union Jack. To think they will leave the EU to rejoin a union with what they see as their former oppressor is beyond swivel-eyed.

...if I could think what that might be - on stalks perhaps?
    It's a specific type of Irish, violent Republicans, who use that expression.
    Still don't see it flying in Dublin. Maybe all the flagpoles are controlled by a cabal of violent Irish Republicans.
    I'm not sure why one would expect to see it flying in Dublin. It flies from big hotels, but one would usually expect the Irish flag to fly from public buildings.
    Do try to keep up. Dublin is full of flags of many nations. Except the UK.
    Do try to stop being a twat. I've been there.
    Perhaps you've seen the bullet holes in the facade of the General Post Office. Ask yourself why they haven't been repaired.
    Bone idle council repairmen always in the pub across the road?

The only people in Ireland who call the Union Jack the Butchers Flag are a special kind of demented, obsessive Shinner. Think the outer fringes of UKIP, but with Guardian political beliefs mixed with a weird romance about the right kind of violence. There are about three and a half of them in Dublin, from what I have seen. In general they are slightly less popular than smallpox with the population at large.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

GeoffM said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Not if Northern Rock for example had not been bailed out, though I accept there came a point where the government had to intervene
    The retail banks would have fallen like dominoes if NR had been allowed to fail. Widespread panic ATMs running out, payments bouncing, wages not paid... armageddon! We very very close to a situation that would have made brexit look like a bump in the road.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@jameschappers: Suggestions that @CraigOliver100 is making an INTERVENTION on tonight's @bbcquestiontime #popcorn

And outside the media bubble, the world will continue unaffected.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

GeoffM said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

The retail banks would have fallen like dominoes if NR had been allowed to fail. Widespread panic ATMs running out, payments bouncing, wages not paid... armageddon! We very very close to a situation that would have made brexit look like a bump in the road.
    The banks might have learnt a bit of humility mind.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

None of that made him change his policies, which is what we really need to happen. If he spouts off on Twitter about some arsehole it just helps him motivate his base. If anything this kind of polling will make trump think he is right about America not being great. That they look to some foreign liberal as a more influential world leader than the POTUS. Clearly it isn't true. Trump has done more to change global politics in 6 months that Merkel has done on 10 years.
    What does any of that have to do with my original assertion - which touched on Trump's sensitivity to criticism? I wasn't making any argument that it was going to change his policies.

Clearly many (including most in this country judging by that Pew poll) do not share the view of Merkel espoused by many right leaning commentators on this site.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

GeoffM said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Incidentally, one of the reasons I'm not massively worried about the Remainer threats of economic armageddon is I basically started my business as the GFC happened.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

GeoffM said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

The banks might have learnt a bit of humility mind.
    Maybe, but no one would be enjoying it much.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,675

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048

Mortimer said:

14th October 1066
    A thousand years ago. Longer than many European countries have existed
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

GeoffM said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

No they wouldn't, if the US economy could survive Lehmans going under then the UK economy could survive an ex building society like NR going under
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,072
    Mortimer said:

We've never lost.

I was in Basra. We lost.

• Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 845
    Better hold another Referendum and quick.
This discussion has been closed.