Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Review : June 2017 (post General Election)

2»

Comments

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Roger said:

We are now the worse performing economy in the G7 and it's probably going to deteriorate further.

Well there's a surprise

Wait for it to turn big time negative. But it will be all worth it, the Brexiters will say. WE can keep Johnny Foreigner out!
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

Sean_F said:

calum said:
    Interesting. From what I'm hearing the fabulous Phil is rallying business and others of good sense and sound judgement against Corbyn, Farage, Leadsom and the rest of the dark forces of hard Brexit. Good man!
    From something that was said a few days ago it seems Theresa May is supporting Hammond on this
    Just a thought - what if TM and Phil Hammond come down in favour of the single market and outflank Corbyn, Farage and Leadsom by using cross party support
    I'd back that. Needs to reach the right point in the negotiations then might be a masterstroke. Both main parties split though. Could be a good thing.
    The country has to come first
    I agree, certain politicians need to think of their place in history. A liberalish sensible fudge of a Brexit abandoning strong reduction in European immigration and stopping bloody Corbyn are both pretty vital.
    Corbyn must have hurt his remain followers and if you add conservative, lib dem, SNP, green MP's to the 50 - 80 labour pro remain you have a good majority to stay in or close to the single market. Additionally if Theresa can find a way through she will have redeemed herself in spades
    Remaining in the Single Market is not possible.
    I think you will need to explain this to BigG he is all-over the place .
    No I am not. Since Airbus have threatened to leave Wales I have moved my opinion that jobs come first. I no longer support a hard Brexit that threatens 40,000 Welsh jobs including my son in laws. We have to stay in or close to the single market
    What do you mean close to the single market ?
    We will definitely be close to the single market as it's just over the border in NI :smile:
    Effectively, Brexit will take place in Great Britain and not the UK. Practically there would be very little change in Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,038
    Just browsing wikipedia (as you do).. I wonder how different life would have been had Portillo got one more vote in the third round of the 2001 leadership election.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    RobD said:

Just browsing wikipedia (as you do).. I wonder how different life would have been had Portillo got one more vote in the third round of the 2001 leadership election.

These alternate histories are great scenarios for daydreaming. It's amazing where you can end up with a little imagination.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    GeoffM said:

RobD said:

These alternate histories are great scenarios for daydreaming. It's amazing where you can end up with a little imagination.
    It's a shame he's given up on politics (although I understand why he has). He's my kind of Tory. Thatcherite, but socially liberal.

Good morning, btw.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,392
    RobD said:

GeoffM said:

RobD said:

It's a shame he's given up on politics (although I understand why he has). He's my kind of Tory. Thatcherite, but socially liberal.

Good morning, btw.
    I'm not sure he's Geoff's kind of Tory. Too many Spanish genes...
  • Options

RobD said:

GeoffM said:

RobD said:

Good morning, btw.
    I'm not sure he's Geoff's kind of Tory. Too many Spanish genes...
    I'm not sure there is any reason to doubt Portillo's loyalty. :p
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    RobD said:

GeoffM said:

RobD said:

Good morning, btw.
    He ceased to be a Thatcherite after Thatcher left. In fact, the old lady wasn't very pleased.

An ex-Defence Secretary who thought Trident was no more than toys for admirals!

Great TV programmes.
  • Options

Unionism 2017: an Irish politician, Phil Hogan, concludes a deal on behalf of an entire continent thanks to membership of the EU, while a Scottish politician, Liam Fox, sits in London waiting for an invitation.

https://twitter.com/trade_eu/status/880778219997319168

Liam Fox is not very effective without his friend.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    RobD said:

GeoffM said:

RobD said:

Good morning, btw.
    Good morning! I met him when he came to Gib during the filming of his Spanish series. Very nice chap.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,679
    edited July 2017
    GeoffM said:

RobD said:

GeoffM said:

RobD said:

Good morning, btw.
    Good morning! I met him when he came to Gib during the filming of his Spanish series. Very nice chap.
    You have trains on Gib??
This discussion has been closed.