Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » GE17 saw the emergence of a new type of “shy Tory” – those opp

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited June 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » GE17 saw the emergence of a new type of “shy Tory” – those opposed to Corbyn but didn’t want a big CON win

One of the features of living in a super LAB-CON marginal less than an hour from London that regularly changes hands is that you get a lot of attention at general elections. Corbyn’s first big outside visit after the election was called in April was to Bedford which was a regular port of call by David Cameron and earlier LAB leaders at GE10 and GE15.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Thirst
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Could mean a shift to the blues next time around. Not large, but given how many close contests there were last time it could still be significant.
  • Options
    One wonders what would have happened had polling been banned during purdah. Was polling feeding the narrative or vice versa? Or was it a cyclical thing?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986

saddo said:

Re ID cards

Does anyone with a driving licence ever not go out without it in their wallets or purses?

Its an ID card already

I have a driving licence. I have never taken it out with me.

If anyone tries to give me an ID card, I will burn it and send the ashes back to the sender.
    What do you do when you need to provide ID for booze though ?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    Yup, I was like I didn't want to give an succour to Nick Timothy and his boss, so I voted Lib Dem to stop a Corbynite winning Sheffield Hallam.

I think had I have been in a Tory/Lab marginal, I would have voted Blue, as awful as Theresa May is, she's no Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Pulpstar said:

saddo said:

Re ID cards

Does anyone with a driving licence ever not go out without it in their wallets or purses?

Its an ID card already

If anyone tries to give me an ID card, I will burn it and send the ashes back to the sender.
    Burst out laughing.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,314
    Good thread. As I have been saying for weeks, I know from my own extended family and friends that some people voted Labour in order to keep the Tory landslide down and, in two cases, just to save a moderate Labour local MP.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

saddo said:

Re ID cards

Its an ID card already

Do you think Alastair is the sort of person/age that buys White Lightning*?

*I think I might be showing my age there.
  • Options
    When I got to the polling station, I was surprised at my own firmness of mind in abstaining. Why on earth would I want to give either of these two fatally flawed propositions my support?
  • Options

Could mean a shift to the blues next time around. Not large, but given how many close contests there were last time it could still be significant.

If polling remained both in the 40s, Labour slightly ahead, I'd expect a retrenchment to form, Labour majorities increasing in places like Sunderland and taking back the likes of Mansfield and Copeland with the Tories regaining Canterbury and maybe Kensington. However the likes of Harlow, Norwich North, Crawley, town seats and parts of the SW going red to give Corbyn the lead in seats.
    I could see 6 or 7 Tory gains but 40 losses.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    I would certainly argue some 2015 Tory voters who voted Remain voted Labour or LD to stop a hard Brexit or abstained and some voted Labour to stop the dementia tax. Neither wanted or expected a Corbyn premiership and Labour must be careful next time not to replace Tory hubris with hubris of their own.
  • Options

If polling remained both in the 40s, Labour slightly ahead, I'd expect a retrenchment to form, Labour majorities increasing in places like Sunderland and taking back the likes of Mansfield and Copeland with the Tories regaining Canterbury and maybe Kensington. However the likes of Harlow, Norwich North, Crawley, town seats and parts of the SW going red to give Corbyn the lead in seats.
    If Corbyn failed to win Harlow last time why should he win it next time? Kinnock faced the same problem in Basildon in 1992 as he did in 1987, it took Blair to win it in 1997
  • Options
    CornishJohnCornishJohn Posts: 304
    All this talk from the EU/Remainers about how David Davis is an arrogant incompetent who can't do anything right would be a lot more credible if they hadn't been telling us for months that he was doing such a good job and really showing Boris Johnson up.

It's almost like the criticism is less correlated to what people are doing and more correlated to the perceived likelihood of being the next Conservative leader.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

If Corbyn failed to win Harlow last time why should he win it next time? Kinnock faced the same problem in Basildon in 1992 as he did in 1987, it took Blair to win it in 1997
    Because he will be that bit better off in vote share. I said it was under the circumstances of 2 parties in the 40s, Labour slightly ahead. However I'd expect the likes of Canterbury to revert to blue against the head.
  • Options
    It adds some interesting dynamic to the next election, perhaps.

I'm doing some research on the clarification of the minibus driving rules for teachers.

It seems that politicians and school heads etc are up in arms about the need for training in addition to a private car licence.

But I think it's totally sensible to expect a higher level of driving experience of someone transporting 16 schoolchildren, who are singing rude songs and throwing apple cores, down a motorway?
  • Options

All this talk from the EU/Remainers about how David Davis is an arrogant incompetent who can't do anything right would be a lot more credible if they hadn't been telling us for months that he was doing such a good job and really showing Boris Johnson up.

It's almost like the criticism is less correlated to what people are doing and more correlated to the perceived likelihood of being the next Conservative leader.

Citation needed.
  • Options
    DUP and SF sources expect no deal today. Direct rule is back it seems
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Because he will be that bit better off in vote share. I said it was under the circumstances of 2 parties in the 40s, Labour slightly ahead. However I'd expect the likes of Canterbury to revert to blue against the head.
    Yes but why should Labour be ahead in voteshare? If you failed to vote for Corbyn last time again why would you vote for him next time? You have to go back to Heath in 1970 to find a leader who lost his first general election who won his second and Heath was far more centrist than Corbyn
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

It adds some interesting dynamic to the next election, perhaps.

I'm doing some research on the clarification of the minibus driving rules for teachers.

It seems that politicians and school heads etc are up in arms about the need for training in addition to a private car licence.

But I think it's totally sensible to expect a higher level of driving experience of someone transporting 16 schoolchildren, who are singing rude songs and throwing apple cores, down a motorway?

A friend has been training teachers (and others) to drive minibuses for at least the past couple of years. It does not seem a very intrusive requirement. Whether it makes anyone materially safer is another matter.
  • Options

Citation needed.
    And it is Davis who has been the success of Brexit preparations so far. Civil servants report that he is thoughtful, pragmatic and hard-working. He has come to the Commons to update MPs several times. He has not had much of substance to report, but he has impressed MPs on both sides of the House – the Remain side and the Leave side – with his openness.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/david-davis-has-emerged-as-the-most-impressive-of-the-brexit-ministers-a7453766.html
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420
    Question for those who've had chance to study the Con-DUP deal, which I haven't. Indeed, I don't know if it's even available.

Does it cover Brexit at all? If so, to what extent?

Confidence and Supply doesn't explicitly include amendments to the Queens Speech but the DUP voted down the amendment anyway. Now, you could argue that that comes under 'supply' as had it passed, it would have produced an unfunded commitment but that's at least arguable. It will be interesting to watch just how far the scope of the agreement runs.

Crucially, and following on from last night's implied 'supply aspect', to what extent does Brexit count as 'confidence'? On a narrow basis, nothing counts as 'confidence' these days bar an explicity VoNC: not a Queens Speech, not a Budget (though that would obviously be 'supply'). But Brexit is so intrinsic to this government's purpose that a major defeat couldn't just be swept under the carpet; it would be a resignation matter i.e. a Confidence one.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes but why should Labour be ahead in voteshare? If you failed to vote for Corbyn last time again why would you vote for him next time? You have to go back to Heath in 1970 to find a leader who lost his first general election who won his second and Heath was far more centrist than Corbyn
    Ffs it's a hypothetical. Why shouldn't they be? The current polling suggests they are, if that remains then my point stands, if it doesnt then other results would emanate. It's an unknowable at this time, so you can only argue from a set of premises as I have. The actual event will determine the truth value of the premises.
  • Options

Question for those who've had chance to study the Con-DUP deal, which I haven't. Indeed, I don't know if it's even available.

Confidence and Supply doesn't explicitly include amendments to the Queens Speech but the DUP voted down the amendment anyway. Now, you could argue that that comes under 'supply' as had it passed, it would have produced an unfunded commitment but that's at least arguable. It will be interesting to watch just how far the scope of the agreement runs.

Crucially, and following on from last night's implied 'supply aspect', to what extent does Brexit count as 'confidence'? On a narrow basis, nothing counts as 'confidence' these days bar an explicity VoNC: not a Queens Speech, not a Budget (though that would obviously be 'supply'). But Brexit is so intrinsic to this government's purpose that a major defeat couldn't just be swept under the carpet; it would be a resignation matter i.e. a Confidence one.

It includes all Queen's speeches, budgets and Brexit-related legislation.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    The shy Tory thesis is not very convincing. I'm sure some felt that way just as others would have voted Labour but for Corbyn. Did it make a difference and how can you tell? The polling movements suggest the two turning points were the dementia tax and the debate, which does not really fit.
  • Options

Citation needed.
    And it is Davis who has been the success of Brexit preparations so far. Civil servants report that he is thoughtful, pragmatic and hard-working. He has come to the Commons to update MPs several times. He has not had much of substance to report, but he has impressed MPs on both sides of the House – the Remain side and the Leave side – with his openness.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/david-davis-has-emerged-as-the-most-impressive-of-the-brexit-ministers-a7453766.html
    Is John Rentoul now criticising David Davis? Is he even a Remainer?

Personally, I've thought that all the leading Conservative Brexiters have looked hopelessly out of their depth from the start. David Davis is perhaps the least disconnected from planet earth. That doesn't mean he's any good.
  • Options

Brexit support forms part of the deal
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

When I got to the polling station, I was surprised at my own firmness of mind in abstaining. Why on earth would I want to give either of these two fatally flawed propositions my support?

Like you I was tempted to abstain or spoil my ballot. If Labour had had a sensible leader then I might have voted for them.
  • Options

Here you go:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/conservative-and-dup-agreement-and-uk-government-financial-support-for-northern-ireland
  • Options
    edited June 2017

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Ffs it's a hypothetical. Why shouldn't they be? The current polling suggests they are, if that remains then my point stands, if it doesnt then other results would emanate. It's an unknowable at this time, so you can only argue from a set of premises as I have. The actual event will determine the truth value of the premises.
    Kinnock led most polls in 1992 but in the end voters decided they did not want him as PM just as they had decided in 1987
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

Amendments to a QS are basically confidence votes; and IIRC the deal does include supporting Brexit related bills.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,889
    HYUFD said:

It's pointless speculating about the mood in 2022 as against now. You may be right that Corbyn has maximised his vote share who's to say general dissatisfaction with the Conservatives won't translate into a lower vote share for that Party next time ?

You're a Conservative - you want the Conservatives to win, you will put forward arguments and use statistics to support that case. I get that, I really do.

At this stage, it's meaningless.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Citation needed.

Typical Remoaner, refusing to accept the blind assertions from Brexiteers...
  • Options

Well, Davis certainly is the best of the Three Brexiteers, but since his competition is Boris the buffoon and Mr Invisible (Fox) ....

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,222
    An interesting thread.

My other half, a small "c" conservative, who voted Green in the Copeland by-election (in protest at some proposed abominable pylons in the Duddon Valley) was pleased the Tories did not get a massive majority because he thought that it would curtail their tendency to arrogance.

I suspect many others felt the same way.

There was an arrogance about the reason for calling the election in the first place and an arrogant assumption that the voters would fall into line. No-one - however much they may dislike or fear Corbyn - likes to be taken for granted.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Kinnock led most polls in 1992 but in the end voters decided they did not want him as PM just as they had decided in 1987
    So your argument is that if Labour don't win then they lose? I'd agree with that. All black crows are black too.
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

It's pointless speculating about the mood in 2022 as against now. You may be right that Corbyn has maximised his vote share who's to say general dissatisfaction with the Conservatives won't translate into a lower vote share for that Party next time ?

You're a Conservative - you want the Conservatives to win, you will put forward arguments and use statistics to support that case. I get that, I really do.

At this stage, it's meaningless.

I would argue though that someone like Burnham would win in 2022 almost certainly
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    ***Trigger warning for Alanbrooke****

Running a newspaper must be easier than he thought.

Evening Standard editor and former chancellor George Osborne has just added a sixth job to his portfolio. He is to become an honorary professor of economics at the University of Manchester, an email to staff this morning revealed.

It develops his work on the Northern Powerhouse, an attempt to rebalance the economy away from London that he initiated three years ago.

His fellow architects Lord O’Neill, the ex Goldman Sachs economist, and Sir Howard Bernstein, former Manchester city council boss, are also honorary professors. The job mainly involves giving a few lectures a year.

Mr Osborne, former MP for Tatton in Cheshire, remains chairman of the Northern Powerhouse Partnership, a business lobby group he set up to boost the northern economy.

He also makes lucrative after-dinner speeches around the world for the Washington Speaker’s Bureau, and remains an advisor to the American fund management firm Blackrock, for which he is said to earn £650,000 annually for working one day a week

https://www.ft.com/content/c273708a-3997-3661-851a-264d3a93124c
  • Options

Evening Standard editor and former chancellor George Osborne has just added a sixth job to his portfolio. He is to become an honorary professor of economics at the University of Manchester, an email to staff this morning revealed.

It develops his work on the Northern Powerhouse, an attempt to rebalance the economy away from London that he initiated three years ago.

His fellow architects Lord O’Neill, the ex Goldman Sachs economist, and Sir Howard Bernstein, former Manchester city council boss, are also honorary professors. The job mainly involves giving a few lectures a year.

Mr Osborne, former MP for Tatton in Cheshire, remains chairman of the Northern Powerhouse Partnership, a business lobby group he set up to boost the northern economy.
    He also makes lucrative after-dinner speeches around the world for the Washington Speaker’s Bureau, and remains an advisor to the American fund management firm Blackrock, for which he is said to earn £650,000 annually for working one day a week

Economics!?!?!??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now if the professorship was in making IDS look like a political tactician, I'd understand...
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Hmmmm....the British public en masse provides a sophisticated voice. I doubt it. After all this very same electorate gave Cameron a majority to plunge the country into what looks like a decade of political, economic and social turmoil and then, worse still, they voted for Brexit. Quite frankly the British public have the collective sophistication of Homer Simpson after ten pints of Stella.

Whether you like it or not, the Tories utter recklessness, suicidal opportunism underpinned by these ridiculous personalities are sweeping the country into the hands of left wing populists and there is sweet fuck all the right can do about it.
  • Options

DUP and SF sources expect no deal today. Direct rule is back it seems

No. They are going to put it to James ''absolutely no balls" Brokenshire that they are making progress and that they will "definitely, honestly, promise guv" strike a deal later on if he just extends the deadline again. Obviously with all of us on full pay.

And he'll break and give them another pretend deadline. Perhaps while pretending there's a form of direct rule by appointing someone to sort the Budget out.

Of course, he might surprise me and sack us all (as he should).

Don't hold your breath.
  • Options

Citation needed.

Is John Rentoul now criticising David Davis? Is he even a Remainer?

Personally, I've thought that all the leading Conservative Brexiters have looked hopelessly out of their depth from the start. David Davis is perhaps the least disconnected from planet earth. That doesn't mean he's any good.
    John Rentoul is definitely a Remainer. I cited one example, but there were others saying the same thing. I remember Michael Crick and Michael White stating similar sentiments on the BBC. It was used to knock Boris Johnson a lot on social media. And Rentoul also is citing the opinion of others like civil servants and Remain MPs in his article.

Personally, I think David Davis is doing a very good job. Obviously, he is in the middle of a negotiation right now, so when big business comes wanting explicit commitments to their particular industry, the only smart thing to do is to give positive noises but not commit to anything. Negotiators on the other side will obviously try to undermine him for their own advantage, and there is a subset of the UK population that is only too willing to aid their cause.

Yet, for all that, I know he impresses people he works with, both in politics and in the civil service. Theresa May is very similar. Both of them have also remained graceful and decent despite a lot of political pressure and rather nasty personal attacks. That is the sort of leadership I admire.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Now if the professorship was in making IDS look like a political tactician, I'd understand...
    Every general election campaign Osborne was involved in saw the Tories make net seat gains, just like IDS and Mrs May, oh wait....
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    I think it was the collapse back to 2 party politics that really screwed the results. Next time, I expect the Tories to do a huge amount better as all tory leaning voters will vote tory to keep the red menace out.
  • Options
    Party Whips are meeting the Speaker to decide whether to even go through the motions at Stormont this afternoon.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Every general election campaign Osborne was involved in saw the Tories make net seat gains, just like IDS and Mrs May, oh wait....
    Erm....1997?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

By that logic, Corbyn is a better politician than Blair.

There is no statistical evidence that any general election result is related to previous result. Theresa May achieved a better result than Cameron and Osborne in her first election. When all this current bluster is past and May has successfully negotiated Brexit, kept the economy growing and reduce immigration, I suspect either her or her successor will beat their second result too.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,779

In my view David Davis is hard working and actually wants to deliver a result, unlike Boris Johnson or Liam Fox. He's affable, which is a useful attribute in these uncertain times, in contrast to Theresa May and Philip Hammond. Against that he's arrogant, lacks curiosity and understanding and overestimates his capabilities and position. Overall he's not great but he's better than the others.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Erm....1997?
    What major role did Osborne play in 1997?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

There is no statistical evidence that any general election result is related to previous result. Theresa May achieved a better result than Cameron and Osborne in her first election. When all this current bluster is past and May has successfully negotiated Brexit, kept the economy growing and reduce immigration, I suspect either her or her successor will beat their second result too.
    By Saturday I will be publishing a piece which says, when all things are considered, why the result on June 8th was an appalling result for the Tories.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,222

Jesus! He'll be teaching my son. (Sort of)
  • Options
    O/T.....are there any others who cannot bear one more day of hearing about these idiots in Govt ?? their factions, their splits, how long May has left, who will take over, whose knifing who. It's beyond parody. I escaped Italian politics which was continually dominated by said headlines...but the trials and tribulations of the Tory party are worse.

At least with Major they waited a year or so. This nonsense has started already and will pervade this Govt until it is put to the sword whenever that it. Could well be five long, long, long, long years of weak, divided, pathetic Tory Govt.

I truly despise the Tories. They have shown their true colours and they really are a useless bunch of self centred wankers.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,358
    On Brexit can we just accept that no one has a clue how it will work out including all UK and EU politicians.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Erm....1997?
    What role did Osborne play in 1997?
    In Major's campaign team.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Mortimer said:

Get it into your head my friend - TMay got a CRAP result. She went to the country early to increase her majority and ended up without one.

No amount of PR waffle can get round that simple fact. She failed in her objective.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Jesus! He'll be teaching my son. (Sort of)
    Your son is very lucky, first to have you as a mother, and secondly to have Osborne as his lecturer/professor.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Erm....1997?
    What role did Osborne play in 1997?
    In Major's campaign team.
    A minor role, not the major roles he played in 2010 and 2015, which saw the Tories make increases in both seats and votes.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

I think it was the collapse back to 2 party politics that really screwed the results. Next time, I expect the Tories to do a huge amount better as all tory leaning voters will vote tory to keep the red menace out.

It will be the record of the Government and how it comports itself especially with regard to Brexit which will determine the result of the next election.

May was frankly a blank slate onto whom everyone could project their hopes and aspirations and as these tried to be all things to all people, she enjoyed a superficial popularity. When however she had to come up with some concrete ideas for the Government of the country she naturally alienated some of that support.

That combined with a persona with all the warmth of a December afternoon in Verkhoyansk meant she lost the froth from her popularity and polled 42% rather than 45-47%.

Now, she has the tough stuff - five years of Government where decisions will have to be taken which will alienate some of those who voted for her three weeks ago. That and the general notion that we'll all get tired of her and her Ministers means Labour is in a strong position to win IF they can craft a vision for 2020s post-Brexit Britain that is popular (doesn't have to be credible or viable, they are the Opposition).

The "red menace" is the language of the 1970s and 1980s and means nothing any more. Blair was able to convince millions of former Conservative supporters the Party he led was a non-socialist party of the centre-left. He had to do that so those who had done well out of the Thatcher/Major years felt assured their prosperity would be safe with Labour.

2022 may be more like 1979 with the apparent near-collapse of a political culture and a strong desire for a different path no matter how untested that path might be.

• Options

On Brexit can we just accept that no one has a clue how it will work out including all UK and EU politicians.

Finally Big_G....a post we can agree on....

Without naming names, I was speaking with a very famous Tory a couple of days before the election....to quote exactly...they told me all the party leaders are fucking useless and no one has the first clue what Brexit actually is and what it entails......
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited June 2017
    The "free kicking" theory of GE2017.

I think I agree.

But it was all so avoidable. What was with the timing? After A50. Why?

The reasons generally given - that she wanted to wait for the local results, that nobody wanted a rerun of the referendum, what if the voters reject A50? etc etc do, I think, explain her thinking.

But IMO, she was wrong to trigger A50, then hold a GE to get a mandate.

A *who do you trust to trigger A50?* campaign was exactly what the country - and the tory party, needed.

For the voters - an "X" in the conservative box would mean sending TM on the next eurostar to brussels.

An X in the labour box would have meant sending Corbyn instead.

The LD's would have had to have come up with a coherent explanation for what they would actually do if enough people put an X in the box.

I recon she'd have won a comfortable majority, with the LD's vying with Lab to be the main opposition party. The social care stuff would never have gained traction.

Corbyn would, most likely, have been marmalized.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Only if all of the Brexiteers stop saying "It'll be BRILLIANT!"

It is really Trumpesque.

"We will get a great deal. It'll be such a good deal, you won't even believe it. So much winning"
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    "Quite how these shy Tories voted I don’t know. My guess is that some abstained and that some others actually voted Labour."

Just from complete anecdata and my peers, a lot of the shy tory stuff came from the mid-30s cohort and they voted Labour to support/oppose a local candidate.

This is very much in line with what I saw - the huge polling leads really made people think twice.

• Options
    tyson said:

O/T.....are there any others who cannot bear one more day of hearing about these idiots in Govt ?? their factions, their splits, how long May has left, who will take over, whose knifing who. It's beyond parody. I escaped Italian politics which was continually dominated by said headlines...but the trials and tribulations of the Tory party are worse.

At least with Major they waited a year or so. This nonsense has started already and will pervade this Govt until it is put to the sword whenever that it. Could well be five long, long, long, long years of weak, divided, pathetic Tory Govt.

I truly despise the Tories. They have shown their true colours and they really are a useless bunch of self centred wankers.

No holding back there Tyson - while you do have a point in truth labour are not much better and we are not in a great place, though by necessity policies will need to have more cross party support
  • Options

"Quite how these shy Tories voted I don’t know. My guess is that some abstained and that some others actually voted Labour."

Just from complete anecdata and my peers, a lot of the shy tory stuff came from the mid-30s cohort and they voted Labour to support/oppose a local candidate.

This is very much in line with what I saw - the huge polling leads really made people think twice.

When you look at those appalling waxworks on the Conservative front benches braying about how brilliant Brexit will be and how anyone with any doubts is a saboteur who should just suck it up, you can understand why.
  • Options

Were the Space Navies not standing in your constituency, then?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mate....I am amazed you can still blabber on about your liking for Camo and Osbo...FFS they started this unholy mess with their stupid politicking...

Cameron, Osborne, Clegg and Ed Miliband......four tossers of the highest calibre...spads and privileged Oxbridge boys who were too clever by half and put their ambitions before anything else.....
  • Options
    tyson said:

But you aren't REALLY a swing voter, Tyson? You'd despise the Tory Government if (possibly especially so) they were brilliant.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I would certainly argue some 2015 Tory voters who voted Remain voted Labour or LD to stop a hard Brexit or abstained and some voted Labour to stop the dementia tax. Neither wanted or expected a Corbyn premiership and Labour must be careful next time not to replace Tory hubris with hubris of their own.

I think that ship has sailed; see most posts by Dyedwoolie, for example.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Mortimer said:

Mate....I am amazed you can still blabber on about your liking for Camo and Osbo...FFS they started this unholy mess with their stupid politicking...

Cameron, Osborne, Clegg and Ed Miliband......four tossers of the highest calibre...spads and privileged Oxbridge boys who were too clever by half and put their ambitions before anything else.....
    Nah.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,779

We can. The problem is that business and individuals are acting accordingly, and not to the interest of the UK.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,966
    This is what my Labour hubris = Tory hope piece was mostly about the other day. Seeing Labour's votrs as an endorsement of socialism is misguided and for Labour could prove pretty disastrous. That said, the Tories are currently doing their best to alienate as many people as possible.
  • Options

Were the Space Navies not standing in your constituency, then?
    My parents had that option. They weren't tempted.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
    UK CO2 and energy costs 'set to rise'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-40431254

"...although the cost per unit of electricity and gas has indeed risen, household bills have fallen thanks to EU and UK efficiency standards which forced engineers to design appliances that use less energy.
    It says since 2008, when the Climate Change Act was introduced, electricity demand is down 17% (despite all our gadgets) and gas demand is 23% lower, thanks to better insulation and UK rules on improved boilers.

The CCC chair Lord Deben told BBC News: "Really good EU regulations have made all our appliances much more efficient. It's meant we've been able to cut bills by about £20 a month for the average consumer.
    "It's been a remarkable success story. But the crucial thing is we've got to keep on doing it."
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited June 2017
    Scott_P said:

It is really Trumpesque.

"We will get a great deal. It'll be such a good deal, you won't even believe it. So much winning"
    Oh I think we know quite a lot already.

We have in an historic vote decided to reclaim sovereignty from the CJEU and even as we write these very words, Brexiters are rejoicing at the handover of sovereignty to, er, another supranational court.

This reclaiming sovereignty lark really is great fun.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Mr. Observer, the opportunity is wide open for an En Marche type party.

Had Corbyn gone backwards, the PLP *might* have gone for it (though I doubt it, given their craven Corbophilia).
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

It is really Trumpesque.

Oh I think we know quite a lot already.

We have in an historic vote decided to reclaim sovereignty from the CJEU and even as we write these very words, Brexiters are rejoicing at the handover of sovereignty to, er, another supranational court.

This reclaiming sovereignty lark really is great fun.
    OH BUT IT'S A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TYPE OF SUPRANATIONAL COURT DECIDING OUR DESTINY YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND BLAH BLAH BLAH

Yes, I know.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Mortimer said:

Get it into your head my friend - TMay got a CRAP result. She went to the country early to increase her majority and ended up without one.

No amount of PR waffle can get round that simple fact. She failed in her objective.

Nailed it.+1 Good to read someone cutting through the bullshit.
  • Options

No holding back there Tyson - while you do have a point in truth labour are not much better and we are not in a great place, though by necessity policies will need to have more cross party support

The problem though is May, Davis and the Government have deliberately failed to make the Brexit/A50 process inclusive. It's a process of huge significance for the future of this country and they have failed to include Labour, LD and indeed non-political experts and people of knowledge outside the Government.

The negotiations and therefore the final Treaty are owned completely by the Conservatives - if it's a bad Treaty or people want to kick the Government, they can and will.

It's just so short-sighted.

• Options

HYUFD said:

I think that ship has sailed; see most posts by Dyedwoolie, for example.
    Indeed, voters May be tiring of the Tories but that does not mean they want socialism either, Corbyn is part of a resurgence of the populist left in the western world, Tsipras, Sanders, Melenchon, Podemos etc but that does not mean voters want to convert a protest vote into a vote for the next government. In Greece it took over 20% unemployment for Syriza to win and they now trail the centre right 2 years into government
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Also, Mike there is no coming back for the Tory party from this state of affairs....talking about rose tinted glasses, I don't think Tory PbERs quite realise what a catastrophic state their party is in. Labour's meltdown was at least worked through in opposition....the Tories are in Govt and there is absolutely nowhere to hide.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    On topic: It all makes sense except for one thing, which is why more people who might have voted Conservative but were not entirely enamoured of Theresa May didn't vote LibDem instead. That it was Corbyn and McDonnell, of all people, who managed to hoover up votes from so many disparate and contradictory sources is surely one of the most baffling things we have seen in a year of political bafflement.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Eagles,

"Your son is very lucky, first to have you as a mother, and secondly to have Osborne as his lecturer/professor."

You might be right with the first, but is her son doing a degree in wallpaper hanging?

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

On topic: It all makes sense except for one thing, which is why more people who might have voted Conservative but were not entirely enamoured of Theresa May didn't vote LibDem instead. That it was Corbyn and McDonnell, of all people, who managed to hoover up votes from so many disparate and contradictory sources is surely one of the most baffling things we have seen in a year of political bafflement.

People understand FPTP?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

We can. The problem is that business and individuals are acting accordingly, and not to the interest of the UK.
    The pound is rising (1.30) and as long as the QS gets through it is unlikely the government will fall in the short term. However why would anyone invest at present and that is a worry. It has to be hoped that once Merkel gets elected (if she does) this Autumn negotiations will become more pragmatic and solutions sought. I cannot see any pathway that does not lead to a soft Brexit
  • Options
    What are the amendments? Is one about abortion?
  • Options

FF43 said:

The pound is rising (1.30) and as long as the QS gets through it is unlikely the government will fall in the short term. However why would anyone invest at present and that is a worry. It has to be hoped that once Merkel gets elected (if she does) this Autumn negotiations will become more pragmatic and solutions sought. I cannot see any pathway that does not lead to a soft Brexit
    A car crash Brexit is more likely.
  • Options
    stodge said:

The problem though is May, Davis and the Government have deliberately failed to make the Brexit/A50 process inclusive. It's a process of huge significance for the future of this country and they have failed to include Labour, LD and indeed non-political experts and people of knowledge outside the Government.

The negotiations and therefore the final Treaty are owned completely by the Conservatives - if it's a bad Treaty or people want to kick the Government, they can and will.

It's just so short-sighted.

It has time to evolve through necessity
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Stella Creasy's amendment is about abortion in Northern Ireland and Chuka Umunna's is about no deal Brexit, vote on final deal, transitional arrangements, CU & Single Market, EU Citizens
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

He has certainly managed to begin the rebalancing of the economy, but not in the way he intended.

Brexit has meant a devaluing of sterling, which in turn has boosted exports and manufacturing is at it's highest level since 1988 (think I read that a few days ago)

However the six figure salary boys are whinging at the possible relocation of their jobs, thus the rebalance is happening.

How TSE can proclaim Osborne as a genius and then complain he may have to relocate to Paris or wherever is a supreme irony as far as I am concerned.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    FF43 said:

:+1:

In the absence of a firm lead and with guesswork prevailing, all we can do is guess how it will turn out. For instance I am convinced that there will be a major recession caused entirely by Brexit starting in 2018 if things continue as they are now and that it will be caused by industrial withdrawal and removal of investment.
  • Options

It was baffling to me too...but not now. The enthusiasm behind Corbyn is infectious. Anyone who thinks the Tories can simply change leader and press reset as with Major completely misunderstands the tsunami that is ripping through British politics. When it finishes the Tory party is going to look completely different.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Stella Creasy's amendment is about abortion in Northern Ireland and Chuka Umunna's is about no deal Brexit, vote on final deal, transitional arrangements, CU & Single Market, EU Citizens
    Thanks, do we know when these votes will take place? Should I rush home from work to watch it live on the Parliament channel?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    tyson said:

Mortimer said:

Running a newspaper must be ehich he is said to earn £650,000 annually for working one day a week

Also, Mike there is no coming back for the Tory party from this state of affairs....talking about rose tinted glasses, I don't think Tory PbERs quite realise what a catastrophic state their party is in. Labour's meltdown was at least worked through in opposition....the Tories are in Govt and there is absolutely nowhere to hide.
    Lab anti-Corbynites have ralled round because their object of hate is, in their terms, a winner. Plenty can be forgiven if you are scoring goals.

Cons? They are in a pickle and no mistake. We have amazingly managed to retoxify our party. Now, we can bleat and moan that it wasn't our fault that the country voted Brexit, nor can we blame Dave for holding a referendum which, by many assessments (my own included) was perfectly legitimate to hold. In a democracy, of course the voters can never be wrong.

But a lot of people blame the Cons for Brexit and that's just how it is.

Which leaves....a LOT of rebuilding. Who next to lead? Nick Boles? Nick Herbert? Someone else from the back-benches...
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Thanks, do we know when these votes will take place? Should I rush home from work to watch it live on the Parliament channel?
    Don't know.

I'm disappointed that you don't have the Parliament Channel on 24/7
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    tlg86 said:

People understand FPTP?
    Well, no, because the theory is that they didn't want Corbyn either.

As I've said before - it might have been an Italian Job election: they were only trying to blow the bloody doors off the majority, not destroy it completely.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    There still seems be hope that from some Remainers that we'll not leave the EU. However, there's one large elephant in the room they will deliberately ignore.

There remains an anti-Establishment mood. Remain is welded to the Establishment (although they call themselves sensible, more intelligent, better educated etc). If Brexit is thwarted, no matter how, it will be seen as the establishment denying democracy when it suits them.

The anti-Establishment mood will be vastly magnified.

'Ah, but it's for their own good,' won't wash.
  • Options
    tyson said:

It was baffling to me too...but not now. The enthusiasm behind Corbyn is infectious. Anyone who thinks the Tories can simply change leader and press reset as with Major completely misunderstands the tsunami that is ripping through British politics. When it finishes the Tory party is going to look completely different.
    42% voted against Corbyn for the Tories exactly the same as voted against Kinnock for the Tories in 1987, the only reason Corbyn polled 40% is the LDs polled 7% unlike the 22% the SDP got in 1987
  • Options

tlg86 said:

People understand FPTP?
    Well, no, because the theory is that they didn't want Corbyn either.

As I've said before - it might have been an Italian Job election: they were only trying to blow the bloody doors off the majority, not destroy it completely.
    It looks to me that the public collectively got the result spot on. The Conservatives didn't deserve a mandate and the country hasn't been so bad that it deserves Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,322
    No. The idea that voters try to engineer non-landslides is utterly fanciful. If that were the case what about 1983 and 1997? Are we saying that the voters were perfectly relaxed about Thatcher and Blair having landslides, but got queasy at the prospect of a Theresa one? The brutal fact is that the public looked at Theresa and looked at Jezza and didn't discern much difference in quality.
This discussion has been closed.