Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Taking the 3/1 on no Brexit deal being reached before the 1st

124»

Comments

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    justin124 said:

Marr to Debbie Abrahams, shadow work and pensions secretary says Corbyn wants 16 and 17 years old to be paid £10 per hour when they currently earn £4.05 per hour and it will bankrupt many small businesses. Debbie Abrahams answer 'we will make sure small businesses are compensated'

How long can labour get away with this economic nonsense. Also Marr soft balled his interview

They will get away with it until May (or whoever) has the bollox and nous to debate it.

I share your despair.
    It is beyond May to be fair but it is not relevant until or unless a GE becomes likely at which time the conservatives will have a new leader, Vince Cable likely leader of the Lib Dems will talke Corbyn economics apart, and no one shares his view of 26% corporation tax including the SNP
    Under Thatcher Corporation Tax ranged from 35% to 52%. In other Western economies it remains above 26% today!
    There were many more exemptions and reliefs when rates were higher.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,382
    Sean_F said:

justin124 said:

Marr to Debbie Abrahams, shadow work and pensions secretary says Corbyn wants 16 and 17 years old to be paid £10 per hour when they currently earn £4.05 per hour and it will bankrupt many small businesses. Debbie Abrahams answer 'we will make sure small businesses are compensated'

How long can labour get away with this economic nonsense. Also Marr soft balled his interview

They will get away with it until May (or whoever) has the bollox and nous to debate it.

I share your despair.
    It is beyond May to be fair but it is not relevant until or unless a GE becomes likely at which time the conservatives will have a new leader, Vince Cable likely leader of the Lib Dems will talke Corbyn economics apart, and no one shares his view of 26% corporation tax including the SNP
    Under Thatcher Corporation Tax ranged from 35% to 52%. In other Western economies it remains above 26% today!
    There were many more exemptions and reliefs when rates were higher.
    It's the effective rate that matters, not the headline rate.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,912

BETTING POST Pak women GT 195.5 RUNS

Needing 60 off 15 overs

StanJames 1.91

DYOR

Got there comfortably 2 overs to spare
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840

rcs1000 said:

I don't know why anyone is looking at Brexit opinion polls. Even if 48% of people still think it was the wrong decision, the majority of those do not wish to see the democratic will of the people overturned.

My personal view is that, if the UK economy remains relatively strong - or even strengthens relative to the EU - then the number supporting Brexit will rise.

On the other hand, if we enter a serious recession, and people start losing their jobs (and blame Brexit), then you could see a backlash against Brexit.

But you are not saying that Brexit itself is a neutral factor as regards our economic well-being, are you?
    Brexit is fairly neutral IMO because what people are chasing is the best source of money / work / jobs. As long as the economy delivers, no one will worry, but if it looks like staying the in the EU will deliver more money / work / jobs then the EU will be the flavour of the moment and Brexit in trouble.

People just want predictability and security and whatever supplies it will be in favour
    We can be outside the EU and yet enjoy the economic benefits of the EU. All we need to decide is whether to take a Norway approach or a Swiss approach to the EEA. Any wish for restriction on freedom of movement will require an equivalent restriction on access to the EEA market.

Really it's all so simple and makes me (and many in Europe no doubt) wonder why it is taking the British so bloody long to work it out.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807

DD really is excellent. If only we can just leave him to it, there is a passable chance of a decent deal.

David Davis full Marr interview:

http://www.conservativehome.com/video/2017/06/watch-davis-eu-nationals-will-have-effectively-the-same-rights-as-british-citizens.html

Very clear 'No ECJ' and EU Citizens would have 'identical rights to Brits, except voting rights, which they can get by becoming British.

Perhaps.... the Sunday Times reports this morning that Davis has instructed civil servants to draw up a database of the policies of European political parties in order to identify the sweeties they might be interested in... would it be churlish to suggest this should have been done 12 months ago?
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    how come the CE of RBKC resigned but the political leadership of the council haven't? They are primarily to blame the CE only implements what he's told. It's like making the head of the civil service resign because Mrs May decided to put dementia tax in the Tory manifesto.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

We can be outside the EU and yet enjoy the economic benefits of the EU. All we need to decide is whether to take a Norway approach or a Swiss approach to the EEA. Any wish for restriction on freedom of movement will require an equivalent restriction on access to the EEA market.

Really it's all so simple and makes me (and many in Europe no doubt) wonder why it is taking the British so bloody long to work it out.

Neither Norway not Switzerland have large car manufacturing operations with elongated International supply chains.

There is a reason for that.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,081

surbiton said:

I see the negotating strategy is on track:

https://twitter.com/bbc_joe_lynam/status/878895499138420737

And the UK threatening to walk out lets Merkel off the hook completely. If we want a deal, the UK government must be seen as completely transparent, constructive and amicable by the populations of the EU27 countries. The Tories have to stop chasing positive headlines in the right wing English press and start looking for them in newspapers across Europe. We have to show European voters that it is not us who are saying No, it is the EU27. Unilateral action on the rights of EU citizens here would be an excellent start.

Our entire negotiating strategy is based on the premise that "THEY are out to screw us" and for the far right press to bang on about it. What purpose it actually serves the country in the long run, I am not sure.

This idea that BMW will convince the entire EU to go soft [ remember, it is Britain who is leaving the EU ] is laughable. I drive a BMW and if it is 10% dearer , I will still buy a new BMW. I have very little choice. In any case, I will only drive a BMW.

BMW may well put pressure on the German government if it is the EU27 that is seen to be making unreasonable demands. But it has to be seen in the EU27. That means a complete change of tone and attitude on the British side - and no more willy-waving for domestic consumption. Right now, British public opinion is worthless for the UK in terms of leverage.

If Brexit breaks down the likes of BMW will just live with it. Mini production could quite simple be transferred to Born in the Netherlands or Leipzig. As for dealing with the potential loss of sales they will merely focus on the emerging markets to more than make up for potential lost sales in the UK.

It's already started. The new electric Mini is going to be built in Leipzig.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,081

DD really is excellent.

Words I never thought to see in my lifetime.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

BETTING POST Pak women GT 195.5 RUNS

Needing 60 off 15 overs

StanJames 1.91

DYOR

Got there comfortably 2 overs to spare
    India and Pakistan have improved hugely.
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    Scott_P said:

Neither Norway not Switzerland have large car manufacturing operations with elongated International supply chains.

I take it you are referring to a customs arrangement? Yes that would need to be set up, if anything for Ireland. I didn't mean we'd copy the Swiss or Norway arrangement but clearly we start with deciding on EEA (Norway) or Swiss-style access to the EEA. Then move onto other matters such as customs arrangements. Switzerland and Norway are in Schengen but not in Customs Union... we'd be out of Schengen but effectively in the Customs Union (as per Turkey) (and indeed the RoI).
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,698

NEW THREAD

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Scott_P said:

Mountains? Lots of blonde women?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited June 2017
    I see england management have selected the d team today. No morgan or Bairstow. I do wonder what the england management have against the ginger Yorkshireman.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,229
    MaxPB said:

Thinking of getting a couple of Nintendo Switches at the airport, could be a good way to waste all of the time we're going to spend on planes in the next two weeks. Any decent two player games other than Mario Kart?

Arms
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited June 2017
    AndyJS said:

isam said:
    Why wouldn't it be real? Looks genuine to me. Shows how much regression there's been in the Arab world since 1958.
    100% real. With Nasser in Egypt [ secular - the West hated him , they preferred the deposed playboy King Farouk ], Ayub Khan in Pakistan, Sukarno in Indonesia. The big Muslim countries gradually became more "Islamist" after 1967 when the West sided with Israel and did nothing about the occupied territories even though the West always used the term "occupied territories".

Also, the Gulf Shiekhs, with their oil money decided their best bet on staying put was to make sure they were protected by the West. In exchange, they agreed to buy huge amounts of arms paying vastly overpriced prices [ happily ]. Some of the money ended up as kickbacks in their foreign accounts.
This discussion has been closed.