Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If you are having GE17 withdrawal symptoms a round-up of every

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    rcs1000 said:

Just so everyone knows, I've freed the Radiohead one.

Who? :open_mouth:
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    rcs1000 said:

I was quite enjoying not having half the internet relinked on here....
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    edited June 2017
    Chris said:

nrs3079 said:

BBC news website - FFS

"Corbyn draws crowds at Glastonbury"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news

Yes another example of their balanced reporting. They're covering his trip to Tesco tomorrow while he does his weekly shop! I see Armed forces day is not even in their headlines section.
    Fear not! the blessed Jezziah has raised awareness of AFD:

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/878493139618586625
    Isn't that pic from November 2015?
    Sure, it is in Whitehall, and poppies are worn. Nonetheless his tweet on AFD is one of the highest retweets.

Those mocking JC at Glasto for his rapturous reception still don't get it.
    He is not the first person with those initials to have been mocked by people who didn't know what they were doing.
    I love Pulp too! Saw them live at the Brixton Academy and they were awesome.

Fuck the critics. We Love Life was a great album.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Word for remainers who support Labour because they believe that JC must be one as well really because he's a good person; Corb-IN-ites (with a definite pause after the corb), or Jeremainers?

a Leaver who doesn't see Brexit as a slash and burn attack on workers rights and environmental protections.
    Who, in the government is?
    May, Boris and Davis have allthreatened to undercut the EU, and JRM has advocated Indian style Health and Safety.
    It is, to be fair, easy to evacuate a wigwam.
  • Options
    Re the BBC, I am in Indonesia and the BBC is quite extraordinary. At one time the BBC used to spread British values to dark corners of the globe.

That no longer applies today.

Today's articles on the BBC Indonesia Facebook feed include a repost (from 2016!) about a random bloke in Scotland who converted to Islam without meeting any Muslims, how nice it is for a church in Java to cancel its Sunday prayers to allow the Muslims to celebrate Eid, and a repost (from 2016!) on how Ramadan is Jihad according to the massive (!) numbers of white British men (yes only men) converting to Islam. http://www.bbc.com/indonesia/majalah/2016/07/160608_ramadan_convert_cambridgeuniv

I don't really understand why British taxes are needed to fund an Islamic perspective on news in Indonesia when Indonesia has already got numerous Islamic news sources of its own which don't cost the British taxpayer anything.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    My thought on workers' rights under Brexit is that while May did agree to protect the status quo she did act it would only be "under her leadership".

I suspect a future Conservative leader might seek to reduce or remove some of these rights or sacrifice them on the imagined altar of competitiveness, efficiency or by effectively telling every worker to make their own contract with their employer.

A nation of Contractors....
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    stodge said:

My thought on workers' rights under Brexit is that while May did agree to protect the status quo she did act it would only be "under her leadership".

I suspect a future Conservative leader might seek to reduce or remove some of these rights or sacrifice them on the imagined altar of competitiveness, efficiency or by effectively telling every worker to make their own contract with their employer.

A nation of Contractors....

Even if this Tory government or the next one do not drastically reduce workers rights, what stops the government after that ?

The EU gives an effective guarantee that a change of government with less than 50% support in the country cannot take a way these fundamental rights.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    surbiton said:

The sweetest was 2017. Since it was so far removed from received opinion.

+1 and rescued us all from the anticipated and stultifying unbroken period of Tory rule for decades
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Is anyone listening to Dead Ringers (Radio Series)?

It's hilarious. In their two recent episodes, the impressions of TMay and Corbyn have been fantastic.

I see both them and Tracey Ullman are having fun with taking the mickey out of Arlene Foster :lol:
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,703

I am in Indonesia.

Good luck sleeping tonight!

In fairness, the lead on the 'News' page is 'Awkward Questions at Family Gatherings'.....
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    Sajid Javid has said 34 tower blocks have failed in 17 authorities.

He is doing a really good job on this. He was very impressive on the news earlier today
  • Options
    The National are staggeringly good.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Also, sad to hear that Norman Lamb isn't standing in the LD leadership contest.

Looks like it's Vince versus Davey, in which case the former would be better than the latter. Vince is probably more left than most on PB would like, but he'll give the LDs some relevance that they've been lacking as of late. Cable is probably a bit more left than I am, but I'd vote for the LDs under him.

If the LDs really voted for Ed Davey as leader....then well it's time to totally abstain at the next GE.
  • Options
    http://www.economist.com/blogs/gametheory/2017/06/expansive-drive

Afghanistan cricket: The Taliban supports cricket. Germany helped build their cricket stadium.

They don't even send 0.7% of their GDP on International aid but damn sight more useful than helping India's space program.
  • Options

I am in Indonesia.

Good luck sleeping tonight!
    It's not too bad atm, there were quite a few bomb-like fireworks exploding earlier, but they stopped before midnight. Now just the sound of rain on a tin roof.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

GIN1138 said:

I don't believe I've ever in my life (39 years) seen such fanatical support for a politician in this country as we're seeing for Chairman Jeremy from much of the left at the moment. It's actually quite worrying when you consider that his right hand man has encouraged direct action to overthrow the government.

Tony Blair?
    Tony Blair's popularity was a lot more all-encompassing than Jezza's but I suppose the difference is that those on the right could live with him because they thought he was essentially a one nation Tory who happened to be Lab leader. Where-as Jezza is a proper leftie revolutionary...
    I voted for Tony twice, never ever will I vote for Corbyn
    That's OK. I don't think he expects your vote.
    You are just hopeless in any form of respect
  • Options

Also, sad to here that Norman Lamb isn't standing in the LD leadership contest.

Looks like it's Vince versus Davey, in which case the former would be better than the latter. Vince is probably more left than most on PB would like, but he'll give the LDs some relevance that they've been lacking as of late. Cable is probably a bit more left than I am, but I'd vote for the LDs under him.

If the LDs really voted for Ed Davey as leader....then well it's time to totally abstain at the next GE.

Vince has been talking good sense recently
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited June 2017

Ye - Vince is to the left of me too, but I'll have to see what Ed Davey offers before casting my vote. Is Davey definitely running ?
  • Options
    edited June 2017

What has he been saying? If I'm totally honest I haven't looked too closely at any recent statements Vince has said.

I did see him on QT fairly recently though, I thought he was decent on there.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Ye - Vince is to the left of me too, but I'll have to see what Ed Davey offers before casting my vote. Is Davey definitely running ?
    Looks like the lib dems are never going to have the leader they need. Norman Lamb is a top MP and reaches out to many
  • Options
    For strong & stable, vote Vince Cable :o !
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

He is doing a really good job on this. He was very impressive on the news earlier today

I said the same down thread. He seems to have a grip on what is going on, and he wasn't making any excuses of spinning it either, simply telling people all that is being done.

I am impressed by how quick off the mark the BRE have been to plough through a huge number of tests, and it's good that we aren't trusting specifications but actually testing material from every relevant block.

We still need to figure out exactly what went wrong, but I'm now reasonably confident that we will learn a lot of lessons from Grenfall, and more importantly act upon them.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Looks like the lib dems are never going to have the leader they need. Norman Lamb is a top MP and reaches out to many
    Obama for Thanet South by-election :D
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Pulpstar said:

I hope Davey runs because a contest will be good for both him and Cable. Look at wooden TMay who got a virtual coronation.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

It's more of a working assumption I've made and Davey - unlike Lamb - has not ruled himself out publically. I haven't read any stories reporting that he won't stand either.

If Davey doesn't stand then it's likely to be a coronation for Vince.

I feel like Davey will be Farron MK2. I can't see him leading the LDs to any significant gains in a GE and think that he'll struggle to be heard in this new era of two-party politics. At least Vince is a big name.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

What has he been saying? If I'm totally honest I haven't looked too closely at any recent statements Vince has said.

He was supporting the 1% tax increase for the NHS but absolutely traducing Corbyn's marxist economics and especially the increases in corporation tax proposed by Cornbyn. If he is in a leaders debate with May/her successor and Corbyn he will demolish Corbyn on economics
  • Options

Also, sad to hear that Norman Lamb isn't standing in the LD leadership contest.

Yes, I confess I was surprised Norman decided not to stand but that's up to him.

So far it's a race with only one runner and that's Vince who most members will support on the basis he will be a caretaker pending the mentoring and preparation of Jo Swinson to take the job in 2019 or 2020.

Fair enough - on the assumption the Conservative Government will stagger on propped up officially or otherwise by the DUP for the foreseeable.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

He's also able
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

He was supporting the 1%t tax increase for the NHS but absolutely traducing Corbyn's marxist economics. If he is in a leaders debate with May/her successor and Corbyn he will demolish Corbyn on economics
    And then go into coalition with him...
  • Options
    glw said:

I said the same down thread. He seems to have a grip on what is going on, and he wasn't making any excuses of spinning it either, simply telling people all that is being done.

I am impressed by how quick off the mark the BRE have been to plough through a huge number of tests, and it's good that we aren't trusting specifications but actually testing material from every relevant block.

We still need to figure out exactly what went wrong, but I'm now reasonably confident that we will learn a lot of lessons from Grenfall, and more importantly act upon them.
    And all labour contribute is - cuts, cuts, cuts, cuts and repeat endlessly
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Pulpstar said:

...who tells fables.

[only because Talks Bollocks doesn't scan]
  • Options
    No matter how much of a shoo in he is though, Cable needs a contest for leader. It helps.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    glw said:

One thing I'd like to see after this is the BRE - or someone else - being able to be commissioned to do tests on materials. You're a council commissioning a new building? Take a couple of panels off at random and have them tested. Do it for other materials that might be suspect wrt flammability.

A bit like the mandatory testing of structural concrete.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822

Pulpstar said:

I hope Davey runs because a contest will be good for both him and Cable. Look at wooden TMay who got a virtual coronation.
    That only happened by mistake though. The Tory leadership election was like the climax of Reservoir Dogs...
  • Options

He was supporting the 1% tax increase for the NHS but absolutely traducing Corbyn's marxist economics and especially the increases in corporation tax proposed by Cornbyn. If he is in a leaders debate with May/her successor and Corbyn he will demolish Corbyn on economics
    I'd love to see him take on McDonnell!

It's good to see Vince calling out Corbyneconomics though - he's a voice on the left that Corbynistas cannot easily dismiss in the way they would do with Orange Booker LDs or anyone who isn't on the very Left of the Labour party. Hopefully he can also be a voice for a more softer Brexit too.

@stodge I was shocked to hear Lamb wasn't running as well. It sounded like from his tweets that he was going to push a Soft Brexit line and thought that wouldn't be acceptable to the membership (who may be looking to continue Farron's line on the EU/Brexit). Would love to see Jo Swinson as leader in the future, but it seems she had concerns running for the leadership as a working mum. Her son will still be quite young even in 2019/2020, so I don't know how likely it would be that she'd be comfortable standing then.
  • Options

Conservative partisans always say the LDs have the wrong leader - apparently Labour always has the wrong leader as well.

So we can safely ignore that viewpoint.

I do think a contest would be helpful as OGH argues. I don't have an issue with Vince being more on the Labour side of the street - nobody's talking Coalition or anything like that. The aim will and has to be to begin the rebuild of the local base which has taken years of battering.

With the thick end of 9000 Conservative Councillors out there there's going to be plenty of potential targets in the next few years starting with London next year. The possibility of regaining Richmond and Kingston from Conservative control would be helped with Vince in charge but I suspect after the GE a number of the capital's 600 Conservative Councillors will be feeling vulnerable.
  • Options

I'd love to see him take on McDonnell!

It's good to see Vince calling out Corbyneconomics though - he's a voice on the left that Corbynistas cannot easily dismiss in the way they would do with Orange Booker LDs or anyone who isn't on the very Left of the Labour party. Hopefully he can also be a voice for a more softer Brexit too.

@stodge I was shocked to hear Lamb wasn't running as well. It sounded like from his tweets that he was going to push a Soft Brexit line and thought that wouldn't be acceptable to the membership (who may be looking to continue Farron's line on the EU/Brexit). Would love to see Jo Swinson as leader in the future, but it seems she had concerns running for the leadership as a working mum. Her son will still be quite young even in 2019/2020, so I don't know how likely it would be that she'd be comfortable standing then.
    Cable v McDonnell would be a disaster for McDonnell but if Cable is leader it will be Corbyn no doubt
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    stodge said:

Conservative partisans always say the LDs have the wrong leader - apparently Labour always has the wrong leader as well.

I do think a contest would be helpful as OGH argues. I don't have an issue with Vince being more on the Labour side of the street - nobody's talking Coalition or anything like that. The aim will and has to be to begin the rebuild of the local base which has taken years of battering.

With the thick end of 9000 Conservative Councillors out there there's going to be plenty of potential targets in the next few years starting with London next year. The possibility of regaining Richmond and Kingston from Conservative control would be helped with Vince in charge but I suspect after the GE a number of the capital's 600 Conservative Councillors will be feeling vulnerable.
    The Conservatives could lose 100's of Cllrs next year in London alone. Losing 100 is likely.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

No matter how much of a shoo in he is though, Cable needs a contest for leader. It helps.

Actually, I don't think so with him. I think you know what you'll get with him.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Pulpstar said:

i agree
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,323
    Pulpstar said:

Tonge and Cable
  • Options
    stodge said:

Can you tell me when I have ever said the lib dems have the wrong leader. I have no problem with Vince Cable but Norman Lamb is excellent on social care and very sensible on most things. As far as labour is concerned I voted for Blair twice so your first sentence is an assumption that is not born out by facts
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

He's also able
    to walk without assistance?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    Pulpstar said:

Should we test potential leaders' names for chantability now?

"There's only one Vince Cable..."
  • Options

Yes, Norman was trying to articulate a line on A50 and Brexit with which he clearly thought a lot of the Party would be uncomfortable.

It's worth repeating that 2/3 of the current LD membership joined AFTER 2015 and around 20% since the EU Referendum. The Party I joined in 1980 died with the Coalition and this new Party isn't one with which I'm wholly comfortable.

I've no problem with the Party campaigning to rejoin the EU though the terms of that re-joining need to be spelt out. The fact is whether we (as a party) like it or not, there was a vote to LEAVE and we have to carry forward that decision.

The terms on which we leave are of critical importance and the unwillingness of May to engage with those outside her Party and Government coupled with the view that whatever gruel is finally dished up in 2019 (which will be praised to the skies by some on here) will have to be accepted or we go off the cliff of WTO rules. There needs to be an option to revisit or extend the negotiation to ensure the best possible deal for the country.

I would also much prefer David Davis to be flanked by Keir Starmer and Vince Cable at the negotiating table.

• Options
    stodge said:

And yet we should still listen to all of the non-Conservative partisans on here who say May is the wrong person?
  • Options
    stodge said:

Yes, Norman was trying to articulate a line on A50 and Brexit with which he clearly thought a lot of the Party would be uncomfortable.

It's worth repeating that 2/3 of the current LD membership joined AFTER 2015 and around 20% since the EU Referendum. The Party I joined in 1980 died with the Coalition and this new Party isn't one with which I'm wholly comfortable.

I've no problem with the Party campaigning to rejoin the EU though the terms of that re-joining need to be spelt out. The fact is whether we (as a party) like it or not, there was a vote to LEAVE and we have to carry forward that decision.

The terms on which we leave are of critical importance and the unwillingness of May to engage with those outside her Party and Government coupled with the view that whatever gruel is finally dished up in 2019 (which will be praised to the skies by some on here) will have to be accepted or we go off the cliff of WTO rules. There needs to be an option to revisit or extend the negotiation to ensure the best possible deal for the country.

I would also much prefer David Davis to be flanked by Keir Starmer and Vince Cable at the negotiating table.

+1 on your thoughts regarding Brexit and the LDs. It's unfortunate in this country that (generally speaking) the membership of political parties aren't really in touch with public opinion. I voted Remain and am not very happy with Brexit but I've accepted that we are leaving.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    Most popular song at Glastonbury this year.

Oh shes strong and stable maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J2QdDbelmY
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Now onto a bottle of Sicilian red. Politics, what's that?

I can't take any of my wine with me to the US. So I'm currently drinking special occasion only wine* while watching The National.

* Ridge Montebello 2000
    We just finished off a bottle of Grange, a special occasion wine for us. Our special occasion was running out of ordinary wine. :D
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    GeoffM said:

stodge said:

And yet we should still listen to all of the non-Conservative partisans on here who say May is the wrong person?
    I think shes the right person.

That should tell you all you need to know

Meanwhile Corbynite candidates uproot Labour centrists at Hackney South and Shoreditch party AGM after membership soars
  • Options
    Prof. Bogdanor is on BBC Parliament now. Worth watching.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

stodge said:

Theresa May is the best Tory leader since Churchill.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786
    Cable managing to draw a line as to where his LDs are different from Labour will be fun. It simply can't be the case that we as a nation put forward clowns like Cable, and Corbyn for our greatest roles of state. What on earth is going on?

I really would vote for a Tesco Lemon rather than those two. The Tories are not much better.
  • Options

stodge said:

Can you tell me when I have ever said the lib dems have the wrong leader. I have no problem with Vince Cable but Norman Lamb is excellent on social care and very sensible on most things. As far as labour is concerned I voted for Blair twice so your first sentence is an assumption that is not born out by facts
    I thought Norman Lamb was a Tory.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Actually, I don't think so with him. I think you know what you'll get with him.
    Agreed...you need someone who looks like they enjoy themselves being the center of attention...,.Vince is your man for that....

May was a strange anomaly...someone who wanted all the trappings of the power, but without much of the front facing stuff....May would have made a much better awkward hereditary monarch
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Prof. Bogdanor is on BBC Parliament now. Worth watching.

Thanks, much better than Glastonbury.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    I know there's a lot more to free trade than just no tariffs, but if we ended up out of the single market and trade carried say a 5% tariff each way then on. £290bn imports and £230bn exports to the EU and we gained a net £3bn in tariffs, could the govt just pay all the tariff obligations of our exporters and use the other £3bn to help business or the NHS?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

stodge said:

All those LD reptiles who jumped into bed with the Tories deserve very little respect....Lamb and Cable and Davey...eoghh....but the ginger rodent was the worst. Thank goodness he hasn't made a return....
  • Options
    surbiton said:

stodge said:

It seems anyone who dares to have politics even marginally different from Jeremy Corbyn is considered to be a Tory by Corbynistas. To them, the words Conservative and Blairite have lost any coherent meaning. 'Tory' and 'Blairite' now simply mean 'anyone that I don't like' for Corbynistas.
  • Options

surbiton said:

stodge said:

It seems anyone who dares to have politics even marginally different from Jeremy Corbyn is considered to be a Tory by Corbynistas. To them, the words Conservative and Blairite have lost any coherent meaning. 'Tory' and 'Blairite' now simply mean 'anyone that I don't like' for Corbynistas.
    Actually I have never voted for Corbyn as I have made clear in PB a hundred times.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    GeoffM said:

stodge said:

Surely it has been mainly Tories expressing buyer's remorse over May.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

stodge said:

That wasn't stodge's point.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

GeoffM said:

stodge said:

They didn't even get to.buy her. They just found her in the bottom of their shopping bag.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I'd like to thank John Curtis, Michael Thrasher, Colin Rallings, and everyone else involved with the exit polls over the last few elections for producing such accurate figures.
  • Options

I'd certainly agree on your view of Norman Lamb and hope he will continue to have a high-profile role in the LD team.

• Options
    Interesting comments from Professor Bogdanor on the asymmetry of Turkey's customs union with the EU. If the EU does a trade deal with a third party that country can sell stuff to Turkey without tariffs but that country can maintain tariffs against Turkey.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

stodge said:

Actually I have never voted for Corbyn as I have made clear in PB a hundred times.
    You did support Corbyn Labour's party at the ballot box though.
  • Options

surbiton said:

stodge said:

As a new convert to Saint Jeremiah of Islington...that seems about right...get on the ride or fuck off...I'm OK with that...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I'd like to thank John Curtice, Michael Thrasher, Colin Rallings, and everyone else involved with the exit polls over the last few elections for producing such accurate figures.

• Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

stodge said:

The point though is after an articulate, thought-provoking and interesting statement by Lamb -- you merely responded with a slur, he’s a Tory.

It is fine to criticise the statement or the underlying politics, but you were just derisory and abusive.
  • Options
    tyson said:

surbiton said:

stodge said:

All those LD reptiles who jumped into bed with the Tories deserve very little respect....Lamb and Cable and Davey...eoghh....but the ginger rodent was the worst. Thank goodness he hasn't made a return....
    What were the LDs supposed to do, in 2010? I've never understood Labour complaints about the LDs decision to go into coalition with the Tories. The LDs had a choice between some LD policies being implemented in government to no LD policies being implemented.

A rainbow coalition would have never have worked.

A Conservative minority government wouldn't have worked either.

Where we supposed to have a second GE just to please those unhappy with the May 2010 GE result...and another would mostly likely have returned the same result as in May 2010.

And then what? We keep on sending to the public to the polls as minority governments and rainbow coalitions collapse?

The LDs merely took the hand they were dealt. The public chose to make the Conservatives the largest party. Back in 2010 I wasn't happy about that either, but it is what it is.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Is a Conservative Government always better than the alternative ?

• Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

tyson said:

surbiton said:

stodge said:

What were the LDs supposed to do, in 2010? I've never understood Labour complaints about the LDs decision to go into coalition with the Tories. The LDs had a choice between some LD policies being implemented in government to no LD policies being implemented.

A rainbow coalition would have never have worked.

A Conservative minority government wouldn't have worked either.

Where we supposed to have a second GE just to please those unhappy with the May 2010 GE result...and another would mostly likely have returned the same result as in May 2010.

And then what? We keep on sending to the public to the polls as minority governments and rainbow coalitions collapse?

The LDs merely took the hand they were dealt. The public chose to make the Conservatives the largest party. Back in 2010 I wasn't happy about that either, but it is what it is.
    And labour were more worried about who was going to take over from brown, they were never seriously interested in a deal with the lib dems
  • Options
    tyson said:

surbiton said:

stodge said:

As a new convert to Saint Jeremiah of Islington...that seems about right...get on the ride or fuck off...I'm OK with that...
    You can't run a country like that though. Even if we were to get a Corbyn government, the public is unlikely to agree with everything Corbyn says. And then what? Will Corbynistas decide to lash out at ordinary voters for daring to disagree with them and not mindlessly follow everything he says? In a democracy, we accept that not everyone will agree with us.

Corbynistas appear to want to thought-police everyone.
  • Options
    stodge said:

GeoffM said:

Is a Conservative Government always better than the alternative ?

Is that a hypothetical match-up or are you asking me to look at the alternatives at every general election?

For the record, I am currently a member of a political party and it is not the Conservatives.
  • Options
    Bobajob_PBBobajob_PB Posts: 928
    Jesus. It's happening. Corbyn is a rock star.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Liberty!!!
  • Options
    @The Appocalypse.

Duh....a Supply and Confidence was all that was needed in 2010....
    The sight of the LD's jettisoning their principles to jump into ministerial cars was perhaps the lowest kind of politics. Sickening. The LD's will forever be aligned to horrible, sickening, maligned cronyism....

And you have have the prospect of Vince Cable taking over.....poetic justice to a party that deserves all it gets quite frankly....
  • Options

I don't believe I've ever in my life (39 years) seen such fanatical support for a politician in this country as we're seeing for Chairman Jeremy from much of the left at the moment. It's actually quite worrying when you consider that his right hand man has encouraged direct action to overthrow the government.

Tony Blair?

Tony Blair?
    He was more popular poll wise at his peak, but I don't remember any Tony Blair chanting. This Jeremania is something else..
    Summer of Love coming up.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,961
    tyson said:

surbiton said:

stodge said:

You are a rentier abusing your privileged position to take advantage of the poor and disadvantaged. You will be first against the wall come the Corbynist revolution.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

The sweetest was 2017. Since it was so far removed from received opinion.

Yeah 2017 was better than 1997. I have thinking about this. But you are really right.
  • Options
    Hmm. Prof Bogdanor says that for Brexit to work we need to pursue unilateral economic liberalism and free trade. He then says that this contradicts the reasons why people voted for Brexit. He says people were lashing out at globalisation.

I think that's wrong. People looked at our membership of the EU and decided that the benefits didn't outweigh the costs. Membership of the EU, in my opinion, is a barrier to economic liberalism and comes with the frankly bizarre devotion to free movement of people between member states.
  • Options

tyson said:

surbiton said:

stodge said:

You can't run a country like that though. Even if we were to get a Corbyn government, the public is unlikely to agree with everything Corbyn says. And then what? Will Corbynistas decide to lash out at ordinary voters for daring to disagree with them and not mindlessly follow everything he says? In a democracy, we accept that not everyone will agree with us.

Corbynistas appear to want to thought-police everyone.
    But Corbyn has been so maligned by the right, and people like me who thought he would lead the party into destruction...that he deserves his place in the sun and now set his own terms...

At least I'm all aboard the good ship Corbyn...there are still loads of places for the likes of you and the many others who believe in social justice, equality and progressive politics....
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631

glw said:

One thing I'd like to see after this is the BRE - or someone else - being able to be commissioned to do tests on materials. You're a council commissioning a new building? Take a couple of panels off at random and have them tested. Do it for other materials that might be suspect wrt flammability.

Makes a huge amount of sense - but with the crappy cladding we're talking about, all you'd need to do is cut a bit of the core out with a penknife and hold it over a cigarette lighter.

(I did the same with some FR Kingspan panelling once, just to check it was flame resistant. It was.)
  • Options
    tyson said:

@The Appocalypse.

Duh....a Supply and Confidence was all that was needed in 2010....
    The sight of the LD's jettisoning their principles to jump into ministerial cars was perhaps the lowest kind of politics. Sickening. The LD's will forever be aligned to horrible, sickening, maligned cronyism....

And you have have the prospect of Vince Cable taking over.....poetic justice to a party that deserves all it gets quite frankly....

Supply and Confidence means that every vote aside from Queen Speech's speech is knife and edge vote and the government would have been unlikely to have been able to do much. In that case another GE would have been inevitable and the same scenario that I outlined in my previous post applies.

Re the LDs principles - the LDs have always been proponents of PR and coalition politics....thus getting into a coalition with the hope of electoral reform was hardly 'jettisoning' their principles.

The way you're talking I'd believe Labour are perfect....no. All the parties are flawed in some way. You could easily say Labour are the party that sold out their principles in regard to Iraq and cosying up to Bush, the GOP and Murdoch. The former of which is far worse than anything the LDs did in coalition. Or even in regard to Corbyn and his support for Hugo Chavez and going on RT and Iranian State TV. That's pretty morally problematic. And let's not even talk about John McDonnell, a Marxist....

Cable is hardly the worst thing that could happen to the LDs. That was Farron - and they somehow managed to gain seats under him!
  • Options
    Corbyn's genuis is that he has united everyone left of Blair.

I dare say some of the softer PB Tories are tempted! Gin is wavering (although he really is a Leftie!)
  • Options

tyson said:

surbiton said:

stodge said:

You are a rentier abusing your privileged position to take advantage of the poor and disadvantaged. You will be first against the wall come the Corbynist revolution.
    Me too, but I sleep easy.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    tlg86 said:

Hmm. Prof Bogdanor says that for Brexit to work we need to pursue unilateral economic liberalism and free trade. He then says that this contradicts the reasons why people voted for Brexit. He says people were lashing out at globalisation.

I think that's wrong. People looked at our membership of the EU and decided that the benefits didn't outweigh the costs. Membership of the EU, in my opinion, is a barrier to economic liberalism and comes with the frankly bizarre devotion to free movement of people between member states.

It's not bizarre if you are building a United States of Europe. Somebody from Wisconsin is entirely free to go to New Mexico. That was - and still is the aim.

The corollary - that was never explained to the British people and therefore never bought into - was that the first step to that is you can no longer control who comes into your borders, meaning you can no longer realistically call yourself a nation state.
  • Options
    Bizzare world, semi rational debate whilst listening to the foo fighters
  • Options

tyson said:

surbiton said:

stodge said:

Mate...I rent out two high value properties, one of which I lived in for many years and intend return to....and the other I will sell when my long term tenant leaves....But, that said, I accept that is quite unacceptable that people like me have been able to make a comfortable living through doing very little....Things must change and they will.

On the positive side, your pathetic Brexit is never going to happen comrade IMO.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Jesus. It's happening. Corbyn is a rock star.

He really isn't.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    tyson said:

tyson said:

surbiton said:

stodge said:

Mate...I rent out two high value properties, one of which I lived in for many years and intend return to....and the other I will sell when my long term tenant leaves....But, that said, I accept that is quite unacceptable that people like me have been able to make a comfortable living through doing very little....Things must change and they will.

On the positive side, your pathetic Brexit is never going to happen comrade IMO.
    That is not consistent with what you have told us before about your rental portfolio.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,343
    edited June 2017

Corbynistas vary, just like any other group. I know lots, but can only think of two who correspond to your stereotype, which actually rather resembles the way they describe Tories as "all the same". With respect, PB works better when we don't generalise about each other.

But while at present I know what Corbyn's Labour is for, while the purpose of Conservatives (to stop Corbyn and get some unspecified kind of Brexit?) and the LibDems (another referendum and...?) is largely shrouded in mystery. That was ALSO true of Labour in 2010 - speaking as a candidate, it was all about "stop the Tories". I think that the explosion of youth interest in Corbyn is that he's brought idealism back into fashion - the Tories will be making a mistake if they think that just addressing tuition fees will make much differemnce.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

It's not bizarre if you are building a United States of Europe. Somebody from Wisconsin is entirely free to go to New Mexico. That was - and still is the aim.

The corollary - that was never explained to the British people and therefore never bought into - was that the first step to that is you can no longer control who comes into your borders, meaning you can no longer realistically call yourself a nation state.
    I was going to put a footnote to that effect, but thought I'd play it with a straight bat!

Anyway Prof Bogdanor thinks we might not leave. He says that Labour did well to present a vision for Soft Brexit. I respect the guy, but I think Jezza was pretty clear in wanting the UK to leave the Single Market.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Totally agree with that. There's no point setting standards if nobody is properly checking they are adhered to, and that means actual testing not just checking documents.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

tyson said:

surbiton said:

stodge said:

Seize the properties of rich expats in Italy!
  • Options
    nichomar said:

I was posting here last night and missed the Corbyn chant at Radiohead.....

The Foo Fighters are the ultimate crowd pleasers....
  • Options
    RadioheadRadiohead Posts: 17
    nichomar said:

The broadcast mix is garbage. Entirely mono, compressed to buggery.
  • Options
    tyson said:

But Corbyn has been so maligned by the right, and people like me who thought he would lead the party into destruction...that he deserves his place in the sun and now set his own terms...

At least I'm all aboard the good ship Corbyn...there are still loads of places for the likes of you and the many others who believe in social justice, equality and progressive politics....

I'd agree with your first statement. Corbyn has proven his critics wrong and so deserves the space to set out his own stool. But that doesn't mean that disagreement shouldn't be allowed. Politicians are rarely always right, and that's the case even for Corbyn. There's a reason why all political careers end in failure. Leaders either take their party as far as they can go and stand down, or they become PM and go crazy in the end!
  • Options
    tyson said:

nichomar said:

I was posting here last night and missed the Corbyn chant at Radiohead.....

The Foo Fighters are the ultimate crowd pleasers....
    Well its better than slagging people off for their views i do think it gets to personal on here and people need to lighten up
This discussion has been closed.