Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB/Polling Matters podcast: Queen’s Speech, Brexit negotia

Comments

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

glw said:

glw said:

And given the vast majority of MPs, CLPs, members and unions are pro-EU, Corbyn and McDonnell would have to compromise.

Right, like Corbyn has compromised over Trident, "I won't ever use it, and we still might scrap it". That sort of compromise where he simply ignores his party.

It would free all Labour MPs up to back soft Brexit, oppose hard Brexit and even vote in favour of a second referendum without repurcussions. Corbyn and McDonnell would then have to decide what to do with their two votes.

Ah the "moderates" strike back. I'll believe it when I see it.

Lots of Labour members and CLPs oppose Trident. That gives Corbyn leverage. He just doesn't have that with his views on the EU. The dynamic is very different as a consequence. We've already seen 50 Labour MPs come out specifically in favour of continued membership of the single market to absolutely no condemnation from anyone inside the party.

I think Jezza is supremely unbothered by Brexit, either way.

I suspect that he will not want to whip any policy, and may even make these free votes. Indeed I think we may see a lot of free votes, thereby making virtue out of neccesity.
  • Options
    Bobajob_PBBobajob_PB Posts: 928

glw said:

glw said:

And given the vast majority of MPs, CLPs, members and unions are pro-EU, Corbyn and McDonnell would have to compromise.

Right, like Corbyn has compromised over Trident, "I won't ever use it, and we still might scrap it". That sort of compromise where he simply ignores his party.

It would free all Labour MPs up to back soft Brexit, oppose hard Brexit and even vote in favour of a second referendum without repurcussions. Corbyn and McDonnell would then have to decide what to do with their two votes.

Lots of Labour members and CLPs oppose Trident. That gives Corbyn leverage. He just doesn't have that with his views on the EU. The dynamic is very different as a consequence. We've already seen 50 Labour MPs come out specifically in favour of continued membership of the single market to absolutely no condemnation from anyone inside the party.

I suspect that he will not want to whip any policy, and may even make these free votes. Indeed I think we may see a lot of free votes, thereby making virtue out of neccesity.
    Yes, 'intensely relaxed' , as one of his erstwhile colleagues might have put it.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873

glw said:

glw said:

Scott_P said:
    Who cares? Really? When did Armed Forces Day become a thing, and who goes to Glastonbury to listen to political speeches? I'd have thought Glasto could easily backfire, and if the Sun and its rentaquote Tory MPs really cared about AF Day, they'd have noticed before "it emerged last night".
    If the Sun cared perhaps it's owner could pay more tax in order that we could stop the cuts to armed forces
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    POBWAS
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Who cares? Really? When did Armed Forces Day become a thing, and who goes to Glastonbury to listen to political speeches? I'd have thought Glasto could easily backfire, and if the Sun and its rentaquote Tory MPs really cared about AF Day, they'd have noticed before "it emerged last night".
    I had never heard of Armed Forces Day before reading that tweet.

Tomorrow is Bobajob Day, every poster on PB must masquerade as me. If you don't, I'm telling The Sun what emerged tonight.
    Luckily there are enough past usernames to share around :)
    Indeed. I'll be expecting a convincing performance from you Mortimer, no excuses about the heat please.
    Dibs on being LastBoyScout!
  • Options
    Bobajob_PBBobajob_PB Posts: 928

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

Tomorrow is Bobajob Day, every poster on PB must masquerade as me. If you don't, I'm telling The Sun what emerged tonight.
    Indeed. I'll be expecting a convincing performance from you Mortimer, no excuses about the heat please.
    Be prepared
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Nostalgic to see @hunchman back on the previous thread, muttering darkly about '41 dissolved companies' no longer showing at Companies House.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,004

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:
    So the clock ticks remorselessly towards a 2nd referendum.
    How on earth do we get to a 2nd referendum? Corbyn WANTS Brexit. How hard is this for lefties to understand?

Corbyn and McDonnell are almost certainly even more Hard Brexit than TMay.

We are leaving. There is no feasible political route to reversing it. It is, however, quite probable that parliament will enforce a Softer Brexit.
    I don't see how Parliament enforces a softer Brexit, particularly with the Leader of the Opposition not pushing for one. Parliament would have to replace the current PM, but I don't think that a soft-Brexit PM would have a greater confidence of the House than the present PM.

When a deal has been negotiated it will be presented to the Commons as take it or leave it. There is no way for the Commons to say that it would rather have a softer deal instead.

I feel that our Constitution is badly failing in this situation, and I blame the referendum for this. There is no place in our Constitutional system for referenda. We must never allow politicians to avoid hard choices and debates by hiding behind the cop-out of a referendum. We'd be much better off if Brexit happened as a result of a majority government with a PM elected with a mandate and a specific plan for it.
    I think referendums are a great idea and we should have more of them. Too much of our parliamentary politics is now dominated by the party system and MPs do not, as a rule, put their constituents or their country first.

If all votes in Parliament were free votes without the use of the whips to make MPs vote along party lines then I would agree with you about referendums but as long as the MPs are making decisions based on bribery or threats from their own party then we do not have a representative democracy and referendums are the only way to actual get the voice of the people heard.
    It's funny: politicians often decry referenda as the work of demagogues, perhaps referencing Anschluss for good measure. But Switzerland probably has more of them than the rest of the world combined.

And it seems to do OK.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

Be prepared
    I alwaus have my woggle handy for such occasions.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,004

Nostalgic to see @hunchman back on the previous thread, muttering darkly about '41 dissolved companies' no longer showing at Companies House.

He's strangely silent about the 2016 world government debt crisis.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    rcs1000 said:

He's strangely silent about the 2016 world government debt crisis.
    He saved me a packet on the 2015 stock market crash, though.

Incidentally, when can we expect the Finchley Road raids?
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,785

AndyJS said:

"Toxic gases released during Grenfell Tower fire may have caused some deaths

Experts say insulation boards on the outside of Grenfell Tower may have filled flats with hydrogen cyanide when they caught fire."

http://news.sky.com/story/toxic-gases-released-during-grenfell-tower-fire-may-have-caused-some-deaths-10922685

So does toxic gases release from either type of cladding (banned and legal) Just goes from bad to worse
    I am really surprised that this confusion between the cladding (aluminium/insulation/aluminium panel 4-6mm thick overall) and the separately installed insulation (150mm thick) has been allowed to persist. it is the latter which presumably caught fire first and transmitted the fire from floor to floor. It is the integrity and detailing of this which is presumable the crucial factor. All the whipped up outrage about choosing a posh looking panel to meet planning guidelines is obscuring this point.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

We've already seen 50 Labour MPs come out specifically in favour of continued membership of the single market to absolutely no condemnation from anyone inside the party.

Why would anyone in the Labour Party want to draw attention to an article which was so absurd by condemning it? Even Corbyn is not so daft as that. He and everyone else will be hoping that it disappears without trace before it causes more embarrassment, and they are very likely to have their hopes satisfied.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

Just dress up as a giant twat. That should cover all bases
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

glw said:

glw said:

Scott_P said:
    If the Sun cared perhaps it's owner could pay more tax in order that we could stop the cuts to armed forces
    mhh - you do realise that the Labour party you seem to think is so great used to tell potential donors the best ways of making their donations "tax efficient"

Not so much a problem now as business runs a mile and its just the dinosaur unions who bankroll you.

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Scott_P said:

which bobajob though, there have been so many
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325

glw said:

glw said:

Yes, 'intensely relaxed' , as one of his erstwhile colleagues might have put it.
    Ahem - supremely relaxed :)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325

Scott_P said:
    It's been around since 2009:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armed_Forces_Day#United_Kingdom

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armed_Forces_Day
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

Scott_P said:

Typical Corbyn, shunning our ancient traditions!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2017

Scott_P said:

Although I'm very pro-military I find these type of special days a bit over the top. I preferred the more low key way we used to show our appreciation for the armed forces in the 80s and 90s. It's all a bit too showy and in-yer-face IMO. Not the traditional British way, which was always to tend towards understatement.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,709
    Bit of a damp squib:

But the Clement James Centre, which has been helping those displaced by the Grenfell fire, earlier shunned the movement as opportunistic.

"We cannot emphasise enough how against this many of the affected residents we've spoken to are and they do not want their grief hijacked for any violent or destructive means," a spokesman said.

https://twitter.com/Brutusmaximus/status/877590594771701763

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/day-of-rage-london-protest-plus-queens-speech-live-follow-the-protest-march-and-state-opening-of-a3569746.html
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Scott_P said:

Typical Corbyn, shunning our ancient New Labour traditions!
    Fixed it for you!
  • Options
    Corbyn's mates in Sinn Fein aren't too keen on Armed Forces Day:

“Council flag flying dishonours victims and their bereaved families”

Sinn Féin Councillor Paul Maskey has said that the decision by Belfast City Council to fly a British MoD flag this Saturday, June 27, to celebrate “British armed forces” dishonours hundreds of citizens of this city who have been murdered and is an affront to their bereaved families.

http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/16704
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited June 2017
    AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

Although I'm very pro-military I find these type of special days a bit over the top. I preferred the more low key way we used to show our appreciation for the armed forces in the 80s and 90s. It's all a bit too showy and in-yer-face IMO. Not the traditional British way, which was always to tend towards understatement.
    I have to disagree, I think its really important that we do continue to highlight and honour our armed forces in this way annually. Especially when you consider the plight of so many veterans of recent conflicts who are still suffering daily from their injuries, both physically and mentally. As you pointed out, it was much more low key in the 80s and 90s, and its worth remembering just how little recognition or help many army veterans who served in Northern Ireland and the Falklands recieved as a result. Far too many fell through the cracks and never ever got the help and support they desperately needed and deserved.

Why am I not surprised that Jeremy Corbyn has declined an invitation to honour our armed forces, why change the habits of a lifetime in politics.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,003
    edited June 2017
    fitalass said:

I have to disagree, I think its really important that we do continue to highlight and honour our armed forces in this way annually. Especially when you consider the plight of so many veterans of recent conflicts who are still suffering daily from their injuries, both physically and mentally.

I find Armed Forces Day absolutely insufferable and would much rather they spent the money on support for veterans. I went to war three times in my Naval career and by the end of the last one (Iraq II) I was completely and utterly fucked in the head. I was just sent on my way with a firm handshake and a bottle of scotch when I left.

• Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited June 2017
    Dura_Ace said:

fitalass said:

I have to disagree, I think its really important that we do continue to highlight and honour our armed forces in this way annually. Especially when you consider the plight of so many veterans of recent conflicts who are still suffering daily from their injuries, both physically and mentally.

I find Armed Forces Day absolutely insufferable and would much rather they spent the money on support for veterans. I went to war three times in my Naval career and by the end of the last one (Iraq II) I was completely and utterly fucked in the head. I was just sent on my way with a firm handshake and a bottle of scotch when I left.

My Dad, Uncle, Father in law, brother and cousin all served full careers in the military, and they too served in various wars and conflicts across the globe. The best way to raise funds for veterans is to raise awareness of their bravery and the plight of so many who returned from these wars and conflicts.

Without going into too much detail, my late Dad served in various conflicts in his career, but he was probable most effected by his emergency tours of Northern Ireland during the seventies at the very height of the troubles. Looking back, I now realise and understand that those very fondly remembered annual family reunions for many years afterwards with a group of his close comrades from Northern Ireland also served as a vital support system for a group of men who carried the hidden trauma of their experiences there.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited June 2017
    The former royal spare is being inconvenient again;

"He tells me that he is in a rush “to make something of my life. I feel there is just a smallish window when people are interested in me before [William’s children] take over, and I’ve got to make the most of it.”

Very honest, but also desperately sad. The poor man was born into an absurd truman show.

http://www.newsweek.com/2017/06/30/prince-harry-depression-diana-death-why-world-needs-magic-627833.html

England expects.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    Worth a read, on the future for Labour:

http://speri.dept.shef.ac.uk/2017/06/13/reassessing-corbynism-success-contradictions-and-a-difficult-path-ahead/

"Once widely-held truisms – Corbynism is a ‘movement’ more clicktivist than canvasser, Corbyn himself is electorally toxic, Labour face a 1931-style demolition and the collapse of its Parliamentary presence – have been shown to be categorically wrong. Corbyn ran an energetic, positive, smart campaign, founded on an unashamedly tax-and-spend manifesto."

"None of these [benefits, immigration..] policies could be classed as radical or left wing, and all would be fiercely criticised from the left if proposed or supported by any other Labour leader. Yet Corbyn gets away with it time after time, on reputation alone...But Brexit is the one issue where triangulation is impossible"

"..until the Corbynite left recognise the danger of building their programme on such ambiguous rhetorical ground, in such an intensely volatile political conjuncture, it is a risk that lies coiled within the movement, regardless of how triumphant it may feel today"
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Good Morning PBers Worldwide And Especially Those Squatting In Ascot ....

So, we're under starters orders for today's first race in the Conservative Party Leadership Handicap Stakes for 3 year olds (Acting Like)

Unfortunately we have a non-runner - Mr Wiff-Waff (Sire - High Wire .. Dam - My Foreign Secretary) has been withdrawn by the vet after a lame performance yesterday :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-40358825/boris-johnson-struggles-in-interview
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    JackW said:

Good Morning PBers Worldwide And Especially Those Squatting In Ascot ....

So, we're under starters orders for today's first race in the Conservative Party Leadership Handicap Stakes for 3 year olds (Acting Like)

Unfortunately we have a non-runner - Mr Wiff-Waff (Sire - High Wire .. Dam - My Foreign Secretary) has been withdrawn by the vet after a lame performance yesterday :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-40358825/boris-johnson-struggles-in-interview

I pointed this out last night, it was awful. It was just like Corbyn in the GE campaign. Hapless.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    OllyT said:

Mortimer said:

I see the daily dose of 'let's be having May out' seems to have died down.

Funny that; just media and opposition froth after all, eh?

May's safe for now because no Tory with any sense wants to head up the impending Brexit disaster. She's now the sacrificial lamb.
    Unless she gets voted down and the DUP choose a more compliant PM.
  • Options
    As mentioned on here yesterday:
    Queen's Speech: Is the Queen wearing an EU hat?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-40356113
  • Options

OllyT said:

Mortimer said:

May's safe for now because no Tory with any sense wants to head up the impending Brexit disaster. She's now the sacrificial lamb.
    The odds on that must be very small. NO Tory wants Corbyn.. and the DUP even less.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,394
    Hmm...

"There have been negative comments about Theresa May’s command of the subject matter and her ability to make decisions."

https://www.channel4.com/news/by/gary-gibbon/blogs/conservative-and-dup-deal-looking-weak-and-wobbly
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

You should come down to Odiham.

It's a very popular and well loved event here in the whole community, both for the RAF base and the village.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756

Hmm...

"There have been negative comments about Theresa May’s command of the subject matter and her ability to make decisions."

https://www.channel4.com/news/by/gary-gibbon/blogs/conservative-and-dup-deal-looking-weak-and-wobbly

coming from Arlene Innumerate Foster, that's quite funny
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Wondering if we're witnessing the final years of the Tory party.

What were some people saying just 8 weeks ago about the Labour Party?
  • Options

Hmm...

Quite. I suspect that the DUP are asking for far too much and the Tories have told them to get stuffed. AIUI the Barnett formula means that if you give money to Ireland then Scotland and Wales have to by default be paid a lot more.. Scotland a lot more than Wales.
  • Options
    No post for 37 minutes after my 05:57 bus arrived ..... and then along come 10 more, just like the DUP at feeding time at £2bn taxpayers pork barrel ....

Oink Oink ....

• Options
    edited June 2017

Hmm...

Quite. I suspect that the DUP are asking for far too much and the Tories have told them to get stuffed. AIUI the Barnett formula means that if you give money to Ireland then Scotland and Wales have to by default be paid a lot more.. Scotland a lot more than Wales.
    View from NI is that the leaks have more to do with Tory infighting than DUP demands.

Dodds made a speech last night on Brexit, details below

https://sluggerotoole.com/2017/06/21/the-dup-deal-is-nearly-done-but-they-back-a-hard-brexit-to-thwart-a-customs-border-at-the-ports/
  • Options

OllyT said:

Mortimer said:

The odds on that must be very small. NO Tory wants Corbyn.. and the DUP even less.
    You misread, I didn't say Labour PM and in fact meant a Tory one.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320
    IanB2 said:

Worth a read, on the future for Labour:

http://speri.dept.shef.ac.uk/2017/06/13/reassessing-corbynism-success-contradictions-and-a-difficult-path-ahead/

"Once widely-held truisms – Corbynism is a ‘movement’ more clicktivist than canvasser, Corbyn himself is electorally toxic, Labour face a 1931-style demolition and the collapse of its Parliamentary presence – have been shown to be categorically wrong. Corbyn ran an energetic, positive, smart campaign, founded on an unashamedly tax-and-spend manifesto."

"None of these [benefits, immigration..] policies could be classed as radical or left wing, and all would be fiercely criticised from the left if proposed or supported by any other Labour leader. Yet Corbyn gets away with it time after time, on reputation alone...But Brexit is the one issue where triangulation is impossible"

"..until the Corbynite left recognise the danger of building their programme on such ambiguous rhetorical ground, in such an intensely volatile political conjuncture, it is a risk that lies coiled within the movement, regardless of how triumphant it may feel today"

That is an exceptionally good article, Ian. Thank you for that.

I have bookmarked the source. Are the articles usually that good or was that a one-off?
  • Options
    Richard_HRichard_H Posts: 48
    I can't see any deal with the DUP, as they probably want things the Tories can't agree. E.g soft border between Northern Ireland and UK mainland, £2 billon extra funding and austerity measures ended.

The Tories will get their Queens speach through, but then before the party conference in the Autumn, i expect there to be significant challenges to Theresa May, which might lead to a leaders contest before the end of the year. A Tory minority Government will then look to hold a general election in Spring 2018, saying that Brexit will not happen properly, unless tne Tories win a majority.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    Richard_H said:

I can't see any deal with the DUP, as they probably want things the Tories can't agree. E.g soft border between Northern Ireland and UK mainland, £2 billon extra funding and austerity measures ended.

The Tories will get their Queens speach through, but then before the party conference in the Autumn, i expect there to be significant challenges to Theresa May, which might lead to a leaders contest before the end of the year. A Tory minority Government will then look to hold a general election in Spring 2018, saying that Brexit will not happen properly, unless tne Tories win a majority.

Because it went so swimmingly the last time they said that?
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320

glw said:

glw said:

The excellent article Ian referred to is very good on this.

It's not that Jezza is unbothered by Brexit, it's more that he has found he can have cake and eat it, for the time being at least. He can appeal to his WWC supporters by promising restriction on movement of people, whilst holding out the hope to Remainers of the softest of Brexits, and maybe even a full reversal.

He won't be able to get away with such a fundamentally contradictory positioning forever, but for the moment it's working just fine.
  • Options
    Richard_H said:

if the Tories try to stand on a Brexit only campaign they will get hammered and deservedly so.

Bar a few die hards people have moved on from Brexit, they now want to know how the govt is going to put more money in their pockets
  • Options

glw said:

glw said:

It's not that Jezza is unbothered by Brexit, it's more that he has found he can have cake and eat it, for the time being at least. He can appeal to his WWC supporters by promising restriction on movement of people, whilst holding out the hope to Remainers of the softest of Brexits, and maybe even a full reversal.

He won't be able to get away with such a fundamentally contradictory positioning forever, but for the moment it's working just fine.
    It is no more absurd than the DUP "no border posts but hard Brexit" or the Tories "no customs union but frictionless free trade".

Jezza does however have the advantage of not having to implement it.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    I do think Harry's comment "nobody wants to be king" are being misinterpreted in their written form. It would be interesting to hear his words and if he put the stress on the word wants ie that it wasnt an ambition or burning desire but if it came about we would do our duty. Its poor journalism to use the phrase out of context to generate headlines.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995

Scott_P said:

Still absolute bollox for numpties and sheeple
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The silliest thing I've seen so far today is this:

https://www.change.org/p/queen-elizabeth-force-teresa-may-to-resign-and-allow-jeremy-corby-to-be-prime-minister

It's good to have idiots self-identify for our own convenience, I suppose.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995

Corbyn's mates in Sinn Fein aren't too keen on Armed Forces Day:

“Council flag flying dishonours victims and their bereaved families”

Sinn Féin Councillor Paul Maskey has said that the decision by Belfast City Council to fly a British MoD flag this Saturday, June 27, to celebrate “British armed forces” dishonours hundreds of citizens of this city who have been murdered and is an affront to their bereaved families.

http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/16704

Not surprising given they will remember them well enough without having them marching through the towns and cities again
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

glw said:

glw said:

The Leave side in the referendum was an entirely Cake and eat It operation, now the reality is sinking in. If Brexit has happened by the time of the next election, then Corbyn is home free - the Tories will own it entirely. His problems might erupt should there be yet another poll prior to the Brexit negotiations finishing. But even then I am not sure it is a massive problem. The Corbyn/McDonnell Brexit line (more accurately the McDonnell one as I agree Corbyn is really not that bothered) could not survive the manifesto-creating process as almost no-one else within Labour agrees with it.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259

Richard_H said:

if the Tories try to stand on a Brexit only campaign they will get hammered and deservedly so.

Bar a few die hards people have moved on from Brexit, they now want to know how the govt is going to put more money in their pockets
    If they have moved on from Brexit, and I'm sure you are probably right for most voters, they are in for a nasty surprise. Nothing else will be on the agenda for years.

We may even end up in some kind of major constitutional crisis in which "what the people want" cannot be delivered by the existing arrangements.

But, imho, by then the economic damage will be so great that there will have been a change of mind and then we are in 2nd ref territory.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259

Richard_H said:

Because it went so swimmingly the last time they said that?
    Well you could argue they diluted that message with a load of self-destructive, half-baked 'policies' about social care and pension benefits.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    edited June 2017
    Good morning, everyone.

A query about a query. Following the holy trinity of tips yesterday, I checked my Ladbrokes account to see if they'd been cancelled, as Mr. Eagles thought they would be (I thought that possible but rather less likely).

They've been sort of amended and I don't know whether to query it. The indicated odds in my Open Bets tab have fallen from the long (8, 7 and 5 respectively) on Vettel, Bottas and Perez to be classified, to the short (1.08, 1.1, 1.14) but the indicated returns remain those of the bets I actually made (ie the long odds).

Should I query this or just leave it? Because the odds and the returns don't match. But, at the same time, I'm worried they'll just end up cancelling bets which would (probably) have yielded very good results.

Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Edited extra bit: decided to query it. Put on larger than usual stakes, so I need to.

However, I will keep the site informed as to what happens, in case anyone else is in the same boat.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited June 2017

glw said:

glw said:

The Leave side in the referendum was an entirely Cake and eat It operation, now the reality is sinking in. If Brexit has happened by the time of the next election, then Corbyn is home free - the Tories will own it entirely. His problems might erupt should there be yet another poll prior to the Brexit negotiations finishing. But even then I am not sure it is a massive problem. The Corbyn/McDonnell Brexit line (more accurately the McDonnell one as I agree Corbyn is really not that bothered) could not survive the manifesto-creating process as almost no-one else within Labour agrees with it.
    As someone who finds himslf blowing hot and cold on Corbyn when I heard John Healey being evasive when asked why Corbyn didn't use his persuasive powers in support of Remain I'm now blowing cold. Why didn't he? Opportunism?

If so he's no better than May. He was so far behind last time and commentatrs were so obsessed by terrorist links that no one bothered to ask him but if Brexit goes pear shaped I hope his part in it will become a major part of the campaign.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Roger said:

As someone who finds himslf blowing hot and cold on Corbyn when I heard John Healey being evasive when asked why Corbyn didn't use his persuasive powers in support of Remain I'm now blowing cold. Why didn't he? Opportunism?

If so he's no better than May. He was so far behind last time and commentatrs were so obsessed by terrorist links that no one bothered to ask him but if Brexit goes pear shaped I hope his part in it will be scrutinised.

Corbyn turned himself around in the GE campaign, and early signs are that he is doing better as a party leader (in his response to the QS he sounded more like he was at a rally than his prior 'irritated geography teacher' approach). But he really was shit as LOTO in the last parliament, he really did lead Labour to several defeats, in by-elections and locals. And he really did fuck over the labour remain campaign, so definitely he has a lot to answer for there. I imagine McDonnell was also was advising him to do that.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308

https://www.change.org/p/queen-elizabeth-force-teresa-may-to-resign-and-allow-jeremy-corby-to-be-prime-minister

That public convenience really should be shared more widely. Employers, for example, could save themselves a lot of money by cross checking lists like that. Social Services could more accurately identify need. Schools could be more accurately assessed.

Black lists have caused problems in the past but a public list like this is a resource that should not be wasted.
  • Options
    Roger said:

glw said:

glw said:

It's reversal.

He fine.

The it.
    As someone who finds himslf blowing hot and cold on Corbyn when I heard John Healey being evasive when asked why Corbyn didn't use his persuasive powers in support of Remain I'm now blowing cold. Why didn't he? Was it just political opportunism?.

If so he's no better than May. He was so far behind last time and commentatrs were so obsessed by terrorist links that no one bothered to ask him but if Brexit goes pear shaped I hope his part in it will be scrutinised.

Corbyn has always been anti-EU - he sees it as a capitalist construct designed to entrench corporate interests and to prevent one-state socialism through prohibitions on state aid and the like. He hid away during the referendum campaign and deliberately sought to sabotage the Labour Remain effort. He also refused to share a platform with David Cameron. It is very likely that if he had campaigned for Remain as he campaigned in May and June, we would not now be leaving the EU.

Corbyn's problem, though, is that he leads a party which is very largely pro-EU and profoundly against a hard Brexit. If it comes to it - which it may well not - his choice is to walk through the lobbies with the rest of the PLP, abstain or to walk through the lobbies with the Tories. My guess is that he will not do the latter.

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Roger said:

glw said:

glw said:

Lots of Labour members and CLPs oppose Trident. That gives Corbyn leverage. He just doesn't have that with his views on the EU.e dynamic is very different as a consequence. We've already seen 50 Labour MPs come out specifically in favour of continued membership of the single market to absolutely no condemnation from anyone inside the party.

If so he's no better than May. He was so far behind last time and commentatrs were so obsessed by terrorist links that no one bothered to ask him but if Brexit goes pear shaped I hope his part in it will become a major part of the campaign.
    Corbyn has many questions to answer. And there is still a gap for a Macronist party.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

Good morning, everyone.

A query about a query. Following the holy trinity of tips yesterday, I checked my Ladbrokes account to see if they'd been cancelled, as Mr. Eagles thought they would be (I thought that possible but rather less likely).

They've been sort of amended and I don't know whether to query it. The indicated odds in my Open Bets tab have fallen from the long (8, 7 and 5 respectively) on Vettel, Bottas and Perez to be classified, to the short (1.08, 1.1, 1.14) but the indicated returns remain those of the bets I actually made (ie the long odds).

Should I query this or just leave it? Because the odds and the returns don't match. But, at the same time, I'm worried they'll just end up cancelling bets which would (probably) have yielded very good results.

Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Edited extra bit: decided to query it. Put on larger than usual stakes, so I need to.

However, I will keep the site informed as to what happens, in case anyone else is in the same boat.

Good luck! They shouldn't change the odds retrospectively though, they need to either honour the original bet or void it as a palp.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Roger said:

glw said:

glw said:

Lots of Labour members and CLPs oppose Trident. That gives Corbyn leverage. He just doesn't have that with his views on the EU.e dynamic is very different as a consequence. We've already seen 50 Labour MPs come out specifically in favour of continued membership of the single market to absolutely no condemnation from anyone inside the party.

The it.

Corbyn has many questions to answer. And there is still a gap for a Macronist party.

There is a huge gap in the centre. Thanks to FPTP it cannot be filled.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314
    Roger said:

glw said:

glw said:

The excellent article Ian refe

I put it down more to anti-capitalism than anything else. In his eyes the EU is a trade liberalising, free market supporting tool of the imperialist pigs and class traitors.

He could not shake off decades of such thinking to now be a supporter. So today he is in the happy position of watching his two sworn enemies (Cons vs EU) fight it out to the death.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308

Roger said:

glw said:

glw said:

It's reversal.

He fine.

The it.
    As someone who finds himslf blowing hot and cold on Corbyn when I heard John Healey being evasive when asked why Corbyn didn't use his persuasive powers in support of Remain I'm now blowing cold. Why didn't he? Was it just political opportunism?.

Corbyn has always been anti-EU - he sees it as a capitalist construct designed to entrench corporate interests and to prevent one-state socialism through prohibitions on state aid and the like. He hid away during the referendum campaign and deliberately sought to sabotage the Labour Remain effort. He also refused to share a platform with David Cameron. It is very likely that if he had campaigned for Remain as he campaigned in May and June, we would not now be leaving the EU.

Corbyn's problem, though, is that he leads a party which is very largely pro-EU and profoundly against a hard Brexit. If it comes to it - which it may well not - his choice is to walk through the lobbies with the rest of the PLP, abstain or to walk through the lobbies with the Tories. My guess is that he will not do the latter.

What do you consider a hard Brexit? If we get tariff free trade is that a hard Brexit or a soft one? If we agree that all EU citizens who were here in June have indefinite leave to remain is that then a soft Brexit?

I can't help but think that these terms, let alone terms like diamond Brexit have become vacuous. What the government says it is looking for is not in my view a hard Brexit. Do you agree?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Jonathan said:

Roger said:

glw said:

glw said:

The it.

FPTP does make things difficult. But we're in for an interesting few years. Both parties have to get off the fence wrt Brexit. They will find it hard to maintain their broad coalitions. Tories have the harder job.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited June 2017
    DavidL said:

That public convenience really should be shared more widely. Employers, for example, could save themselves a lot of money by cross checking lists like that. Social Services could more accurately identify need. Schools could be more accurately assessed.

Black lists have caused problems in the past but a public list like this is a resource that should not be wasted.
    MPs regularly produce a similar useful list by signing Early Day motions in favour of Homeopathy.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    £12k fine, having spent £400k on the campaign - how's he possibly going to afford it?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Roger said:

glw said:

glw said:

A great opportunity for the next LD leader to play straight down the middle and take votes from both sides in a post-Brexit world.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, that's what really threw me.

The odds changed on my own bet record, as well as in the markets. But the returns stayed the same.

*sighs* I just hope the bets stick. Unless it's at the short odds.

Anyway, when I've contacted Ladbrokes, on rare occasions, in the past they've always been prompt and straightforward so I hope they just confirm I'm on at the long odds. And then I can stop stressing :p
  • Options

£12k fine, having spent £400k on the campaign - how's he possibly going to afford it?
    True, it should have been higher.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    MaxPB said:

A leftie friend of mine today - "is Corbyn deluded? How can we form a government with less [aaaahhh] seats than you lot?"

My answer - "he's playing the political game"

Response - "bloody politician, just like the rest of them I guess"

I'm not sure this is going down as well as Corbyn thinks, there are loads of people who voted for him because he was a genuinely different choice than thee usual politicians, he didn't play the game, at least not openly enough for casual followers to notice.

Since the election, Corbyn seems to have developed a whole new level of arrogance.

Was watching a live piece on the BBC today on Grentham tower - there seems to be momentum posters now plastered around the area. Whole situation to me has been shamelessly exploited by both the left and corbyn.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, aye, and that's why they should go for Lamb.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Roger said:

glw said:

glw said:

It's reversal.

He fine.

The it.

Corbyn behaved very well over Brexit.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    DavidL said:

Roger said:

What do you consider a hard Brexit? If we get tariff free trade is that a hard Brexit or a soft one? If we agree that all EU citizens who were here in June have indefinite leave to remain is that then a soft Brexit?

I can't help but think that these terms, let alone terms like diamond Brexit have become vacuous. What the government says it is looking for is not in my view a hard Brexit. Do you agree?
    Guido said it right the other day:
    https://order-order.com/2017/06/20/soft-and-hard-brexit-terms-obsolete/
    Remainers and their media allies need to be honest about what they mean when they talk about “soft Brexit”. If “soft Brexit” means staying inside the single market (not taking back control of borders), staying inside the customs union (not taking back control of trade), and staying inside the ECJ (not taking back control of laws), then that is not Brexit. Hammond and other Remainers in the Cabinet have accepted this. Only hardcore Remainers don’t.

This language is used exclusively by Remain supporters, Brexiters reject it entirely.
  • Options
    Retrofiting sprinkler systems to existing buildings is going to be a challenge. Its not justa few pipes attached to the mains, it requires either a resevoir on the top of the building which probably cant support it or large ground/underground tanks with heavy duty pumps to get the water to the top. Couple that with the potential of removing similar cladding on other buildings etc is going to cost a fortune. I hope the government have a good contingency fund i dont think they will get way with ignoring things.
  • Options
    Richard_H said:

Why can't the Tories deliver a "soft border between Northern Ireland and UK mainland"?
    Or did you mean NI and Eire?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Since the richest party does best and the next richest party does second-best from being able to skirt round the existing rules, I doubt there is much appetite in Westminster for strengthening them.
  • Options

Mr. Sandpit, aye, and that's why they should go for Lamb.

Agree that Lamb is probably the best choice, hopefully they realise as a party that trying to undo the result of a 31-million vote referendum was a bad idea and instead concentrate their efforts on the huge centre ground between Corbyn's Labour and Conservatives.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Roger said:

Remainers and their media allies need to be honest about what they mean when they talk about “soft Brexit”. If “soft Brexit” means staying inside the single market (not taking back control of borders), staying inside the customs union (not taking back control of trade), and staying inside the ECJ (not taking back control of laws), then that is not Brexit. Hammond and other Remainers in the Cabinet have accepted this. Only hardcore Remainers don’t.

This language is used exclusively by Remain supporters, Brexiters reject it entirely.
    Because Guido wishes it were so and is trying to create an associated narrative does not make it so. Brexit will be whatever the hell the government says it will be.

We are leaving the EU. The rest is literally details.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

I'm torn between: a) dislike for the idea that the very rich can buy massive influence, and b) a feeling that they may well be just wasting their money.

I guess there's no way to know how much effect the these people with big funds and strong views have. Feels like they only lined up on the Leave side last year, and they only needed to influence 2% to have swung the result, but I may be wrong.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Corbyn is anti-Establishment in the sense that he doesn't like the UK Establishment. It's the Trot comfort zone, but if he ever came to power, you'd see Establishment with knobs on. The party line has always to be adhered to, because it is the font of all wisdom. It's a nuisance, but he has to play politics to get into power and cleanse the current system..
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

I'm torn between: a) dislike for the idea that the very rich can buy massive influence, and b) a feeling that they may well be just wasting their money.

I guess there's no way to know how much effect the these people with big funds and strong views have. Feels like they only lined up on the Leave side last year, and they only needed to influence 2% to have swung the result, but I may be wrong.
    Money follows power, not vice versa. The recent election result is a good example of that.
  • Options
    Conservative Crackpot Coalition of Chaos - Update :

CCCC - Day 14 - 0830 :

Following on from the tradition of releasing charity singles, as witnessed only yesterday, the DUP leader (under her stage name) is to record a double "A" sided single to mitigate the effects of minority government to distressed Conservatives at their time of need :

(M)Arlene Dietrich - Come Up And See Me Sometime - (James Brokenshire) / Failing In Love Again (With The DUP)

The latter being a love duet with the Reverend William McCrea. This record will be released on the DUP (Democratic Unionist Parlophone) label and will be available in Christian bookshops and Free Presbyterian Churches as soon as the deal is done .... so might be a candidate for Christmas number one ..... in 2018.

• Options

Richard_H said:

Why can't the Tories deliver a "soft border between Northern Ireland and UK mainland"?
    Or did you mean NI and Eire?
    I think the DUP guy was saying that a solution which shifted the boarder to between the UK and NI was unacceptable but also wanted an open boarder between north and south using innovative ideas whatever they are
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Retrofiting sprinkler systems to existing buildings is going to be a challenge. Its not justa few pipes attached to the mains, it requires either a resevoir on the top of the building which probably cant support it or large ground/underground tanks with heavy duty pumps to get the water to the top. Couple that with the potential of removing similar cladding on other buildings etc is going to cost a fortune. I hope the government have a good contingency fund i dont think they will get way with ignoring things.

Trying to pretty up old tower blocks which have no locally monitored central fire alarms, sprinklers, dry risers, staircase extraction or even two staircases is a really bad idea. The old idea of containment doesn't work on externally clad buildings, where fire can take hold and spread on the outside.

The choice is either to keep them ugly and energy-inefficient, or knock them down and rebuild to modern standards.

Does anyone know how many old tower blocks in the UK have been externally re-clad?
  • Options

Money follows power, not vice versa. The recent election result is a good example of that.
    How so?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    nichomar said:

It is really difficult - my dad did a few such jobs in the industrial sector, and in one case the building had to be replaced as the cost of retrofitting it was more than that of replacing the entire structure (water is a very heavy dead load, as are pipework and other fittings).

If the building was built to the codes in existence when they were built (or at the time of any renovations), then the burden of cost of any such retrofitting should not be borne by the owners, but by the state. After all, the state is changing the rules.

This should perhaps lead to a discussion about the validity of grandfather rights, but that's difficult. Restrict grandfather rights and work becomes too expensive to do; have too many and you can run into other difficulties.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    Jonathan said:

Roger said:

There is a near the knuckle 70s style joke in which 3 men of different races have to complete a task, I long forget what, with the combined lengths of their racially stereotypical penises, the last man providing the final inch that achieves the task.

The joke is an almost perfect characterisation of the Brexit campaign. After Farage, Boris and Gove, Corbyn is, was and ever shall be, to my thinking, the tiny penis of Brexit. He sold his own support base (but not his own beliefs) down the river and the contrast between his GE campaign and his EU ref campaign throws that fact into sharp relief. He is a good campaigner and simply chose not to be last year.
  • Options

Since the richest party does best and the next richest party does second-best from being able to skirt round the existing rules, I doubt there is much appetite in Westminster for strengthening them.
    Very true, sadly.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Morning all. I pledge today not to enter into arguments about the existence of God that I can't quite remember the construction of and instead talk utter pants about the political situation.
    Talking of which, the DUP deal. Depending on who you read this morning it's either dead in the water or May has completely capitulated which seems to be based on whether you listen to Jeffrey Donaldson or Dodd and 'a cabinet minister'.
    Seems likely Hammond will be telling May he can't fund 35 billion in Barnet payments and she will have to offer something else. Legalised arse kicking for anyone with the surname Adams, or some such.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

That public convenience really should be shared more widely.

There's a sentence one didn't expect to see on PB, outside the ranks of followers of the late George Michael and Tory MP's wetting themselves because of their tiny majorities ....

Oh er missus ....

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    Pro_Rata said:

Jonathan said:

Roger said:

There is a near the knuckle 70s style joke in which 3 men of different races have to complete a task, I long forget what, with the combined lengths of their racially stereotypical penises, the last man providing the final inch that achieves the task.

The joke is an almost perfect characterisation of the Brexit campaign. After Farage, Boris and Gove, Corbyn is, was and ever shall be, to my thinking, the tiny penis of Brexit. He sold his own support base (but not his own beliefs) down the river and the contrast between his GE campaign and his EU ref campaign throws that fact into sharp relief. He is a good campaigner and simply chose not to be last year.
    On the railway, it is sometimes necessary to hit the end of a length of rail to close a gap at the other end. You have one person at the rail end, hitting it with a large hammer, and another person at the gap, calling instructions.

If the gap is about a foot, the call is: "Length o' mine, length o' mine!"
    If the gap is about six inches: "Length o' his, length o' his"
    When the gap is a couple of centimetres: "Length o' yours! length o' yours!"
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Roger said:

Because Guido wishes it were so and is trying to create an associated narrative does not make it so. Brexit will be whatever the hell the government says it will be.

While Guido's team certainly write from a pro-Brexit point of view, they're correct that the only people talking about Hard Brexit and Soft Brexit are the hardcore Remainers, and the meaning of these terms appears to change rapidly to suit their own agenda.

From a Parliamentary point of view, the legislation of the next 18 months will all be about smoothing the transition from the current position to the negotiated (with the EU) settlement. All but the most hardcore of Remainers are going to be in favour of pretty much all that's proposed, given the choice is now between a deal and no deal.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

Mr. Sandpit, that's what really threw me.

The odds changed on my own bet record, as well as in the markets. But the returns stayed the same.

*sighs* I just hope the bets stick. Unless it's at the short odds.

Anyway, when I've contacted Ladbrokes, on rare occasions, in the past they've always been prompt and straightforward so I hope they just confirm I'm on at the long odds. And then I can stop stressing :p

sounds
    Sandpit said:

Good morning, everyone.

Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Good luck! They shouldn't change the odds retrospectively though, they need to either honour the original bet or void it as a palp.
    without reading their rules I don't think they are obliged to void a palp, but they may do so at your request if the event has still to take place.

I'd always recommend that if ever you see a price that you know is a palp, ask yourself if you would be happy to have your bet on at the correct price. if you're not then leave it alone.

if you are a successful punter the last thing you want to be doing is showing up on their radar for trying to exploit their cockups. especially by putting much more than your normal stake on them. if you then contact them to query it that gives them a second reason to have a good look at your account and betting history and you may yourself getting restricted on the amounts you can bet.

I hope they will void your bets if you ask them. if you get restricted at Ladbrokes you may still be ok at Corals. They may have merged and have joint pricing but I wouldnt be certain their client databases have merged yet.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Re hard and soft Brexit, a lot of confusion cones in because of the pejorative nature of the terms. Soft implies better without actually defining itself. You could make the same arguments using strong or weak Brexit and public support would shift dramatically overnight.
  • Options
    Mr. 64, *sighs*

Don't have Coral account yet. I was tempted to get one but decided against (sign-up page had a security question mark at the time).

Anyway, I may well be on the radar anyway for betting on Merhi not to be classified when he, er, wasn't racing.

Sound advice from you, and I shouldn't've got carried away. Lesson learned, I suppose. [Still, betting's about taking advantage of good odds... bit unfair if someone's then 'on the radar' for doing that].
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Roger said:

Corbyn has always been anti-EU - he sees it as a capitalist construct designed to entrench corporate interests and to prevent one-state socialism through prohibitions on state aid and thel not do the latter.

While Guido's team certainly write from a pro-Brexit point of view, they're correct that the only people talking about Hard Brexit and Soft Brexit are the hardcore Remainers, and the meaning of these terms appears to change rapidly to suit their own agenda.

From a Parliamentary point of view, the legislation of the next 18 months will all be about smoothing the transition from the current position to the negotiated (with the EU) settlement. All but the most hardcore of Remainers are going to be in favour of pretty much all that's proposed, given the choice is now between a deal and no deal.
    I think that WTO and variations could be described as hard, EEA/EFTA variations as soft.

The former is going to be a lot easier to achieve by Mar 2019. The latter will be easier with some kind of transition period.

I would like the latter and for the UK's various agencies to work closely with their EU counterparts both to seek to influence policy and regulation, and also to help formulate that policy and those regulations.

A party which promoted this vision would be interesting.
This discussion has been closed.