Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A fortnight on from the eve of GE2017 and a look back at those

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    SeanT said:

rkrkrk said:

Anyone have experience disputing a scratch on a foreign rental car (Spain)?

Yes. I lost.

If you're in a criminal mood, and you scratch a car, deliver it back early, at night. Then leave the keys. They can't prove you scratched it, so they can't charge you.

That said, I once trashed the whole door of a car I collected in France and dropped off in Portugal. I left it there in full view, at 12 noon, and walked off expecting a massive bill. But I didn't hear a peep. Maybe it was because I picked up and dropped off in different countries.

Odd.

Remind me not to lend you my car...
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    tlg86 said:

Dadge said:

tlg86 said:

Delighted to see that Diane Abbott has made a full recovery.

I've just heard Jeremy Corbyn say that the firefighters at Grenfell Tower did a great job. I wouldn't be so sure:

https://tinyurl.com/y72bwxgr

What do you mean? The story as described in the article sounds a bit unlikely, but it doesn't suggest that the firefighters did a bad job.
    It certainly leaves a few more questions asked. How likely is it that firefighters wouldn't notice that they hadn't totally put out the fire? Perhaps the fridge wasn't the cause of the big fire.
    Occam's Razor in these situations is that the journalist hasn't quite got the story straight.

What I'd be interested to see (I know it's only morbid fascination) is a timeline of what happened when. I think the biggest failure on the night was that the fire service didn't tell the phone operators to change their instructions once the fire shot up the building. People were being told to stay put on the basis of containment... when containment had failed.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Jonathan said:

Passed the demo in Parliament Square on my way home. There were literally tens of them.

Dozens surely.
    Yes, not much point in brexiting if we can't reclaim non-decimality.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    Dadge said:

Brom said:

nunu said:

nunu said:

I don't think I've expressed this before. But as a LEAVER I must say thank you a million times to Corbyn.Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you for not campaigning for REMAIN as you did this GE. We couldn't have done it without you.

Jezza's a sly old fox to be sure. He kept his head down during the EU Ref (making us all think he was useless) and got exactly what he wanted - Brexit, Dave destroyed and May in. Then he unleashed his campaigning genius during the GE and destroyed May. I don't now think anything is beyond his cunning.
    Soon he will of seen of 2 Tory PM's. He has been underestimated this whole time, and many PB tories are still doing it. smh.
    He was ridiculed but now he's definitely a serious threat. However seeing off 2 PMs and failing to take office is something of a Pyrrhic victory, the most popular kind of victories amongst the hard left
    :)
    Corbyn's speech was an alternative universe. His argument seemed to be we got lots of votes therefore we have a mandate and you don't even though you got more. It was weird - he has a good style though and made you want to believe him more ham robo-may.
    It's a game. The narrative is that May's a loser...
    Surely an axiom rather than a narrative ?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    SeanT said:

rkrkrk said:

Yes. I lost.

If you're in a criminal mood, and you scratch a car, deliver it back early, at night. Then leave the keys. They can't prove you scratched it, so they can't charge you.

That said, I once trashed the whole door of a car I collected in France and dropped off in Portugal. I left it there in full view, at 12 noon, and walked off expecting a massive bill. But I didn't hear a peep. Maybe it was because I picked up and dropped off in different countries.

Odd.

I don't think we did scratch the rear bumper - and 250 euro seems a bit much even if we did.
    But we didn't take pictures (it may be that the scratch was under dirt).

Do they have to tell you immediately? For all we know it could have happened afew days later...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Jonathan said:

Passed the demo in Parliament Square on my way home. There were literally tens of them.

Dozens surely.
    The dozen has been banned by the EU.

That's why we're leaving.
    Baker's too? Damn!
  • Options
    Dadge said:

tlg86 said:

Dadge said:

tlg86 said:

Delighted to see that Diane Abbott has made a full recovery.

I've just heard Jeremy Corbyn say that the firefighters at Grenfell Tower did a great job. I wouldn't be so sure:

https://tinyurl.com/y72bwxgr

What do you mean? The story as described in the article sounds a bit unlikely, but it doesn't suggest that the firefighters did a bad job.
    It certainly leaves a few more questions asked. How likely is it that firefighters wouldn't notice that they hadn't totally put out the fire? Perhaps the fridge wasn't the cause of the big fire.
    Occam's Razor in these situations is that the journalist hasn't quite got the story straight.

What I'd be interested to see (I know it's only morbid fascination) is a timeline of what happened when. I think the biggest failure on the night was that the fire service didn't tell the phone operators to change their instructions once the fire shot up the building. People were being told to stay put on the basis of containment... when containment had failed.
    I don't think that will stick. For starters, you can't blame Theresa May.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Hmm:

Dodds says the DUP is about strengthening the union, delivering Brexit, defending the country and creating prosperity for Northern Ireland.

He ends his speech by saying his party will therefore act and vote in accordance with those goals over the next five years of this parliament.

• Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Jonathan said:

Dozens surely.
    Yes, not much point in brexiting if we can't reclaim non-decimality.
    Was the Weights and Measures (Imperial Restoration) Bill one of the ones highlighted in the QS? :D
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    nunu said:

I don't believe in polls but I do believe in God..........

God had two sons until ICM applied their turnout filter.
  • Options

Hmm:

Dodds says the DUP is about strengthening the union, delivering Brexit, defending the country and creating prosperity for Northern Ireland.

He ends his speech by saying his party will therefore act and vote in accordance with those goals over the next five years of this parliament.

Makes you wonder why the Tories went balls deep into a deal. They could have governed as a minority.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902

Hmm:

Can the same be said for the Tory backbenchers?
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

SeanT said:

rkrkrk said:

Yes. I lost.

Odd.

I don't think we did scratch the rear bumper - and 250 euro seems a bit much even if we did.

Do they have to tell you immediately? For all we know it could have happened afew days later...
    What a bummer. Reporting as lost the card on which they have the deposit can reportedly be effective but sounds as if it's too late.

As another bit of too late to be helpful advice, I have a policy which covers me for the excess on car hire claims for £35 a year. Fantastic value (if it works, not had to claim yet).
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    Freggles said:

A

Spoiler alert; it ends with Z.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

rkrkrk said:

SeanT said:

rkrkrk said:

Yes. I lost.

Odd.

What a bummer. Reporting as lost the card on which they have the deposit can reportedly be effective but sounds as if it's too late.

As another bit of too late to be helpful advice, I have a policy which covers me for the excess on car hire claims for £35 a year. Fantastic value (if it works, not had to claim yet).
    Yes in my research now I've seen that sort of policy - looks a good option for the future!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Roger said:

Even the Queen doesn't approve of Brexit. She's making a point by wearing EU blue.

She has a lot of German cousins as well as a Greek husband, so not too surprising...
  • Options

Roger said:

Even the Queen doesn't approve of Brexit. She's making a point by wearing EU blue.

She has a lot of German cousins as well as a Greek husband, so not too surprising...
    Not sure that means all that much. Farage's wife, for example.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    rkrkrk said:

Ishmael_Z said:

rkrkrk said:

SeanT said:

rkrkrk said:

Yes. I lost.

Odd.

Yes in my research now I've seen that sort of policy - looks a good option for the future!
    I've used these in the past - again I've never had to make a claim - but it does prevent the argy-bargy when you take the keys and they try to sell you their own excess insurance (which often seems to cost about the same as the market value of the car).
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325

I still don't understand how YouGov could have both been out by 6 points in their headline poll, and about right in the modelling derived from their polls. It's very odd. It was one reason why I was sceptical of the model.

Didn't they panic at the last minute and started wrenching the algorithm to subdue youth turnout?
    They panicked by attributing all their undecideds back to their 2015 voting intention. Which was a dumb thing to do, not least because it added a whole lot of people back into the UKIP column almost all of whom were never going to vote UKIP, but were ex ukip voters undecided between Labour and Tory. Probably most of them voted Labour in the end.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Roger said:

Ex wife, I believe!
  • Options
    HorseHorse Posts: 8
    edited June 2017
    Hats off to Michael Gove for preparing the ground for Tory-DUP harmony.

As early as March,he helpfully described Theresa May as a "continuity Catholic".

He further insists that she is Britain's "first Catholic prime minister". Never mind that Tony Blair officially converted to Rome the day before he left office, nor that Theresa May is an Anglo-Catholic. As Gove explains, she is “an Anglo-Catholic rather than a Roman Catholic, but no less a Catholic for that.”

My goodness, that's going to go down well in Belfast! Many people couldn't care less, of course. But many in the UVF DUP could. A lot. And Gove seems to have chosen the term "continuity Catholic" with Northern Irish politics in mind.

Eschewing the traditional epithets "staunch" and "devout", he tells us that whereas one lot in the CofE are "definitively Protestant", another lot are "continuity Catholic". And May, an Anglican and famously a vicar's daughter, drew enormously on Catholic social teaching in her approach to her office. That's why she gave up her favourite crisps for Lent.

And according to Gove, it all comes from her Catholic family heritage. “One of the many wonders of the Anglican Church is that it comprehends both those who think of themselves as definitively Protestant in the tradition of Thomas Cranmer and those who believe they are continuity Catholics practising a spirituality and believing in a theology that has passed down from St Augustine to Pusey and Keble. Theresa May’s father, Hubert Brasier, was a priest who very much subscribed to the latter tradition.”

Again, not many people could give much of a hoot about this. But then there's the Orange Order.
  • Options

RobD said:

Roger said:

Ex wife, I believe!
    Not sure they are divorced. Still, the point stands.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    Boris on Ch4 News.

Doing his best to look prime ministerial without looking like he is trying to look prime ministerial.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    SeanT said:

rkrkrk said:

Yes. I lost.

Odd.

They have you by the bollocks, if you pick up in the dark and then notice the damage take a picture and send it ti them early the next day youll get away with it, but most scratchess etcyou dont notice. I took a third party insurance out and caught the kerb. I hadto pay the bill butwasrefunded within a week despite the required documentation etc that i couldnot easily lay my hands on. The extra insurance is a pain but if you realise your liabilities its worth it, you can save money by going third party but DYOR
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,917
    SeanT said:

rkrkrk said:

SeanT said:

rkrkrk said:

Yes. I lost.

Odd.

It's increasingly common for hire car companies to try and sting you for tiny scratches. Pisses me off, mightily. There's not much you can do - which is why - in the past! - I would happily take revenge.
    With a bit of digging you can find reputable car hire companies that allow you to pay in cash without leaving a credit card imprint that they can use to bill you for real or imagined damage after you have left. You may pay a little more for the hire but it's worth it for the peace of mind - Luzcar in the Algarve is an excellent example.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Jonathan said:

Boris on Ch4 News.

Doing his best to look prime ministerial without looking like he is trying to look prime ministerial.

Boris was a prat on the radio. He was questioned and mumbled and stuttered. Hapless
  • Options
    Why is the interview with eddie mair trending with boris, any onelistened
  • Options
    Labour fighting the case now why its crazy to leave but hiding behind "the wiil of the majority" where they they a year ago
  • Options
    Bobajob_PBBobajob_PB Posts: 928
    Sean

I hire cars all the time - good ones. I have only dinged two over the years. The first one I paid €200 for a tiny scratch after misjudging a French car port. The second I rolled a Jeep over a boulder - and got away with it by standing in front of the damage when the bloke checked it in. Admittedly the latter was in New Zealand, where the populous are so laid back they put the Spanish to shame.
  • Options
    Be keen to hear of Ishmael's excess policy. The excess on most cars I hire is anything from €700-€1000
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Is this the worst Tory administration since the war? Discuss.

People always assume Major but at least the guy got a majority - against all odds.

The Maydup 'administration' is just an embarrassing shambles. It probably is the worst Tory government in history.
  • Options
    I will tell you who the best people for sorting out industry-wide scams against consumers like the scratch on hire car charges are, and that's the, ahem, EU - they did it over hidden extras on airline booking sites.

I have to say I have just walked from Aquitaine into Aragon and back again, and spent half an hour on the phone to my gf in the UK telling her about it, effectively for free because the EU has forbidden roaming charges, so am in a European frame of mind this evening.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Whatever the faults and errors in the polls they were all more accurate than the landslide forecasts of most Conservative posters on here , David Herdson excepted and his post was accused by many of being hacked .
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

I will tell you who the best people for sorting out industry-wide scams against consumers like the scratch on hire car charges are, and that's the, ahem, EU - they did it over hidden extras on airline booking sites.

I have to say I have just walked from Aquitaine into Aragon and back again, and spent half an hour on the phone to my gf in the UK telling her about it, effectively for free because the EU has forbidden roaming charges, so am in a European frame of mind this evening.

Sounds like a wonderful hike @Ishmael_X in a beautiful part of the world. Enjoy it sir.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    nunu said:
    Deepwater Horizon led to hundreds of criminal convictions for fraudulent claims, and over a hundred people sent to prison. Dodgy claims were likely in the thousands. There are some really sick people around.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,047
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael has been hacked. PBers will kindly ignore the above post.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Interesting that Her Majesty wasn't wearing the Crown at the QS in parliament today, didn't think the QS could go ahead without wearing the Crown representing the sovereignty of the British people? And worse still she was wearing a blue hat with yellow dots on the side, looking very much like the flag of the wretched EU! I thought the sovereign was meant to be impartial in political affairs. Whether she was very badly advised I don't know, but on both those counts I thought it was a very unfortunate choice today. But then as a republican, we'd be so much better off without the Royal Family altogether!
  • Options

Be keen to hear of Ishmael's excess policy. The excess on most cars I hire is anything from €700-€1000

iCarhireinsurance.com, £37.99 a year this year for all claims arising (Europe only I think).
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

iCarhireinsurance.com, £37.99 a year this year for all claims arising (Europe only I think).
    Perfect - thank you very much indeed.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    On topic, not a pretty picture.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Interesting that Her Majesty wasn't wearing the Crown at the QS in parliament today, didn't think the QS could go ahead without wearing the Crown representing the sovereignty of the British people? And worse still she was wearing a blue hat with yellow dots on the side, looking very much like the flag of the wretched EU! I thought the sovereign was meant to be impartial in political affairs. Whether she was very badly advised I don't know, but on both those counts I thought it was a very unfortunate choice today. But then as a republican, we'd be so much better off without the Royal Family altogether!

Chortle. Agreed. I have heard more about her bloody headwear than the contents of the speech!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
  • Options
    SirBenjaminSirBenjamin Posts: 238
    hunchman said:

More importantly, who was that MPILF sitting next to Kwasi Kwateng when he seconded?
  • Options
    hunchman said:

She wasn't wearing the Crown but it was there.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    Ishmael_Z said:

Wow. Thanks! I usually pay 24e's a day to cover the excess when I hire a car.
  • Options

hunchman said:

More importantly, who was that MPILF sitting next to Kwasi Kwateng when he seconded?
    Do you have a picture? It might be Lucy Frazer, in that she's a mutual friend of Kwasi and I.
  • Options
    I'm struggling to believe we import so much German food.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    If you get the chance, worth watching the Panorama on the Grenfell Fire:

https://tinyurl.com/ybrw2yuo

Interestingly, the programme contradicts Hammond's comment that the cladding was outlawed.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Ishmael_Z said:

IN Majorca I pay 8Euro per day to cover this..
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

Do you have a picture? It might be Lucy Frazer, in that she's a mutual friend of Kwasi and I.
    It's not Lucy (she's the one directly behind the one next to Kwasi...)
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    rcs1000 said:

It's all that Blue Nun for the This Week team.
  • Options
    glw said:

hunchman said:

I thought she had to wear it at a QS in parliament? No excuses that she's 91, she should have been wearing it. Or would it have been too much of a burden before Royal Ascot?! The duties of the Crown come first, not the pursuits of HM. Heck, I'd rather be shot of the nonsense that is the Royal Family, but if it's got to exist, then it should play by the perceived rules?....at least before today at least!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892

Roger said:

Ishmael_Z said:

IN Majorca I pay 8Euro per day to cover this..
    I wonder whether it's the country or the hire company? Now I use Hertz or Thrifty because they're quick and reliable which a lot of the smaller ones aren't and the cost isn't that much more.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354

nunu said:

The perfect PB post.
  • Options

hunchman said:

No idea! But he's damaged goods as far as I'm concerned for being the other half of the wretched Amber Augusta Rudd. It seems that he's sacrified a potential ministerial career just to be hooked up with 'that woman'.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Lidl and Aldi?
  • Options
    hunchman said:

hunchman said:

No idea! But he's damaged goods as far as I'm concerned for being the other half of the wretched Amber Augusta Rudd. It seems that he's sacrified a potential ministerial career just to be hooked up with 'that woman'.
    Love transcends politics. Look at SeanT.
  • Options

nunu said:

Brilliant.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

glw said:

hunchman said:

I thought she had to wear it at a QS in parliament? No excuses that she's 91, she should have been wearing it. Or would it have been too much of a burden before Royal Ascot?! The duties of the Crown come first, not the pursuits of HM. Heck, I'd rather be shot of the nonsense that is the Royal Family, but if it's got to exist, then it should play by the perceived rules?....at least before today at least!
    So who would you like to shoot you?
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

Jonathan said:

Boris on Ch4 News.

Boris was a prat on the radio. He was questioned and mumbled and stuttered. Hapless
    BoJo gave up being a serious politician when he realised he could make brand "BoJo" and avoid many hours of hard political work. Since then he's bumbled along.
    Oddly his writing workrate is really high, but then that makes him more money.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Aldi/Lidl?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

Very true. But I think even he would be horrified if he trawled Companies House records, or should I say Companies House records via the Wayback Machine, as most of them aren't there any longer, I've really got no idea why! 41 dissolved companies as a director, and let me put it this way, they didn't exactly serve the interests of the shareholder.
  • Options
    calum said:
    So speaks a man who has no majority, no mandate and no plan bar busting the country..
  • Options
    calum said:
    He is improving at this politics lark.
    The line that the Tories have abandoned their own manifesto is powerful I think.
    Nick Palmer said it well when he said it seemed like the Tories have run out of ideas for why they want to be in power.
  • Options
    Corbyn continues trying to avoid having to go back to his day job, May is desperately pretending to be back at hers.
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

rcs1000 said:

Aldi/Lidl?
    Hmmm... I guess it's possible, but I'd be surprised if it were cheaper for Aldi/Lidl to re-export foodstuffs from Germany than to source directly to stores in the UK
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965
    rkrkrk said:

it seemed like the Tories have run out of ideas for why they want to be in power.

Keeping the likes of Corbyn out.
  • Options
    TypoTypo Posts: 195
    rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

A timely reminder of some real talent (in many senses) on the Tory benches. She should be utilised more.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

Very true. But I think even he would be horrified if he trawled Companies House records, or should I say Companies House records via the Wayback Machine, as most of them aren't there any longer, I've really got no idea why! 41 dissolved companies as a director, and let me put it this way, they didn't exactly serve the interests of the shareholder.
    "How many companies have you been a director of that have been dissolved?", as I didn't say to my wife on our first date.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

calum said:
    He is improving at this politics lark.
    The line that the Tories have abandoned their own manifesto is powerful I think.
    Nick Palmer said it well when he said it seemed like the Tories have run out of ideas for why they want to be in power.
    I think May and her team has, there is no point in wasting good ideas on her faltering run when a new leader can launch them.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    rkrkrk said:

Tell them you have pictures, and demand proof of the damage. 50/50 there never was any damage at all, and they'll give up.
  • Options

hunchman said:

glw said:

hunchman said:

So who would you like to shoot you?
    I've dodged a few bullets in my time thank you!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

"How many companies have you been a director of that have been dissolved?", as I didn't say to my wife on our first date.
    Quite! Love is blind is it not?
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Peston hearing recess extended until October - 2017 hopefully !
  • Options
    Typo said:

rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

A timely reminder of some real talent (in many senses) on the Tory benches. She should be utilised more.
    She was the Union President when I ran the ball. I've always had a lot of time for Lucy.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

So speaks a man who has no majority, no mandate and no plan bar busting the country..

No self-awareness too.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Typical Tirues, underfunding the NhS
  • Options
    glw said:

No self-awareness too.
    He doesn't care, he has momentum and wants power before all the plates spinning start to wobble.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

Whilst we're on the subject of Amber Augusta Rudd, this was the opening statement of Nicholas Wilson, the self styled 'Mr Ethical' over HSBC. When Mr Wilson was laying into Amber Rudd, quite rightly over arms sales to Saudi and HSBC, the moderator / chairman of the meeting effectively censored Mr Wilson, as that was off limits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_w1Kv-hCoY

And Mr Wilson has had his life ruined over the past 12 years as a whistle blower raising uncomfortable truths. The only thing is that I wish his voters at the end of the day had voted Labour in Hastings and Rye in order to have got rid of her. As far as I'm concerned, she is a cancerous MP at the heart of British politics.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Jonathan said:

Is this the worst Tory administration since the war? Discuss.

People always assume Major but at least the guy got a majority - against all odds.

The Maydup 'administration' is just an embarrassing shambles. It probably is the worst Tory government in history.
    Goderich
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    glw said:
    And we thought the right-wing Brexiteers were into Empire 2.0... McDonnell wants to challenge the Monroe doctrine.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,376

calum said:
    Naught but TORY propaganda!!!!

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/876894066478329857
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    calum said:

Time enough for a full Tory leadership contest?
  • Options
    This is an important article about why heavy industry won't be the job creator people think it will:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-21/how-just-14-people-make-500-000-tons-of-steel-a-year-in-austria
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,376

glw said:
    And we thought the right-wing Brexiteers were into Empire 2.0... McDonnell wants to challenge the Monroe doctrine.
    Monroe Doctrine?

"Nobody's perfect!" - bloke at the end of "Some Like It Hot".
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

This is an important article about why heavy industry won't be the job creator people think it will:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-21/how-just-14-people-make-500-000-tons-of-steel-a-year-in-austria

We should be training up people for programming and engineering, instead people want heavy industry because that's what Atlee would have wanted.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

rkrkrk said:

Tell them you have pictures, and demand proof of the damage. 50/50 there never was any damage at all, and they'll give up.
    They have pictures. In the one with the license plate I genuinely can't even see the scratch.
    There are two others which could be of any black car and the scratch is still tiny.
    Irritating....
  • Options

glw said:
    Trump hasn't even fully reversed what Obama did, he is keeping some of the changes. To describe that as a blockade is plain wrong, and to imply that the UK can somehow force the US to change their mind is simply nuts. But it tells us a fair bit about the kind of crackpot shit we would get with a Labour government, God forbid it.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Andrew said:

rkrkrk said:

Find an identical car here and take pictures of that. Hurry tho while we have sunshine for that holiday look.
  • Options
    calum said:
    Is Jesmondo sporting a bit of a tan there? He seems to look more youthful every day
  • Options
    England walking this
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,299
    edited June 2017
    calum said:

That makes a GE this year very unlikely - given there would have to be a vote in Parliament and then a minimum 6 week campaign. GE would then be late November at the earliest - which seems too late.

Unless Govt loses Queens Speech vote and a GE somehow gets triggered pre recess.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Absolutely, and the advances in retail industry are laying a lot of people off there too. But technology always ends up creating more jobs overall, although its very visible where the job losses are. Amazon's shake up of the retail sector is overall very good news as far as I'm concerned. The future lies with programmers in all sorts of areas and Machine learning, and the more people that are trained in that field for the future, the better for all concerned.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,299
    As for Con leadership ballot - difficult for that to be triggered during recess as MPs need to be present for MPs ballots.

I guess May could stand down (as Con leader only) say 10 days before summer recess - then MPs ballots happen in that final 10 days before it then goes to the members over the summer.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Day of Rage - lol. A mixture of airhead students and more sinister muscle in masks, giving posh people the finger down Piccaddily and singing Corbyn's name.
This discussion has been closed.