Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on Queen’s Speech day – and we still don’t if the Tories

Comments

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739

Mr. Evershed, a religious position is not a faith. Tell me what an atheist believes in.

The absence of belief is not belief, it's the very opposite. I have a football position, which is that I don't care very much about it. Your argument is that this makes me a football fan.

An atheist believes there is no God.

Do atheists agree on the idea of there being an infinite number of multiverses, in at least one of which there is a God who is God of all multiverses?
    Uh... Why would they?
    Because it's quite uncontroversial, and not contradicted by any physics, to think that there could be other universes. And if there are others then the logical number of them is an infinite number, since why would there be two or fifteen or a million. And thus there must exist a universe in which God does exist and in which he created all universes.
    I don't think that necessarily follows. An infinity of universes can still only include possible things.
    What's impossible about God?

By which I mean, what prevents God from existing, eg in another universe whose properties we cannot observe? If nothing prevents this (which is what we have to conclude), and there exist infinite universes (because what limits the number?), then not only does God exist in an infinity of universes, but also, within that infinity, there are universes in which God exists in that universe as well as in all the others.

Obviously I don't really believe all this crap, but it isn't any worse crap than blind scientism.
    Yes.

scientism
    thought or expression regarded as characteristic of scientists.
    excessive belief in the power of scientific knowledge and techniques.

Science is the method by which we find out about life, the universe and everything. Peer review and experiment mean it is the best method for doing this.
    Or, you could have 'faith' I suppose.
    Science =/= scientism
    That's the point I was making, following your 'but it isn't any worse crap than blind scientism.' comment.
    Although is there such a thing as 'EXCESSIVE (my caps) belief in the power of scientific knowledge and techniques.' Surely the scientific method is the best method we have.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036
    Pong said:

Is there a parallel universe where Theresa May won a stonking majority, and Nick Timothy is lord of all he surveys?

No.
    What about one where George Osborne is PM, the most popular since Churchill, and you are not only his Willie, but also his fashion advisor and closest confidant?
    Churchill wasn't very popular at various stages of his career.

I'm writing a George Osborne themed thread for Sunday.

I fear quite a few PBers will need sedating.
    If you were being in any way honest then it would start with the line:

"Any reasonable reading of the last few months would have to come to the conclusion that most of the problems now being experienced by Mrs May owe their origins to her former cabinet colleague George Osborne and his manifold failings as Chancellor."
    Nonsense.

The YouGov model showed the Tories were on course for a majority of 70 until Mrs May and Nick Timothy worked their magic on social care changes.
    I thought the yougov model was launched after the manifesto & SC cap?

Anyway, it wasn't the social care stuff wot kaboshed TM's majority. It was the u-turn.

If anything, she needed to go much harder on older retirees with significant property wealth;

https://twitter.com/resfoundation/status/877441992971755521

The intergenerational stuff was all fart and no follow through. She could have reshaped conservatism for a new generation, winning votes where she needed them and losing them where she didn't.

She wasn't bold enough.
    What a horrifying chart.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,151

Chris said:

Pardon me for not having appreciated the distinction between apartments being "deliberately kept empty" and unoccupied apartments.

I mean, it must be so common for people to inadvertently keep luxury apartments empty at the cost of God knows how many tens of thousands a year.

I do realise the rich are different, and they routinely do things that are quite incomprehensible to the rest of us mere mortals.

You are being idiotic.
    No. If you read the discussion here, you must know how much scorn was poured on the idea that this number of empty luxury flats would be available locally to rehouse those who lost their homes in the Grenfell Tower. You can be as abusive as you like, but that's a fact.

Of course, if these aren't really luxury flats, as they were described in the comment I was replying to, but empty social housing, then that makes things different. In that case it remains to be seen whether - if the continuance of Theresa May's brilliant career depended on it - alternative accommodation would be found!
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464
    Nigelb said:

Nope, incorrect. All multiverses stem from the initial point of as perceived from your own multiverse. There cannot be a creator in one and not in others. All things stem from one point of infinite density and infinite energy.

This belief requires faith in the properties of multiverses, for which there is no direct evidence.

So whether you accept or not that there's an infinite number of multiverses, in at least one of which there is a God who is God of all multiverses, you're expressing faith either way.
    The physics of multiverses is reasonably understood. It's science, not faith.
    So in that case there must either be evidence available that other universes exist, or an acceptance that this is impossible to provide, in which case the "understanding" that they do is based on reasoning and not evidence.

How is that different from religious faith?
    Not at all. You can't see mathematics but it's a truth. There is mathematical evidence of the possibility of multiverses, there is no mathematical evidence of the possibility of God. Nor could there be.
    Newton thought differently. To take a more modern example of his logic, why shouldn't essentially random natural events - the precise moment of the nuclear decay of atoms, for example - be regarded as the direct intervention of god (or of a god) in the universe?
    Because they are essentially random ?

Theists have sought for centuries to seek refuge in bits of the universe for which science doesn't have an adequate explanation. As the explicatory power of science expands, they shift their position, after denying it for a time.
    And yet something must trigger them at the given precise moment that it happens. And while an individual decay might be 'essentially random', the atoms of a given isotope nonetheless conform collectively to a predictable pattern.

But the original point was that there was "no mathematical evidence of the possibility of God. Nor could there be", and I simply contend that such an assertion is not true. While there might not be any evidence of God, there is evidence of the possibility of God (or gods), which simply requires an unexplained phenomenon that exhibits mathematical characteristics and which might be explicable by the intervention of powers unknown and unknowable.

For what it's worth, I think it's nonsense but all the same, unless disproved then the possibility must be admitted.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,950
    edited June 2017

Is there a parallel universe where Theresa May won a stonking majority, and Nick Timothy is lord of all he surveys?

No.
    What about one where George Osborne is PM, the most popular since Churchill, and you are not only his Willie, but also his fashion advisor and closest confidant?

Good lord your not going to embarrass yourself by comparing Osborne to Churchill now! :(
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Pong said:

[snip]

Anyway, it wasn't the social care stuff wot kaboshed TM's majority. It was the u-turn.

[snip]

She wasn't bold enough.

She wasted a perfectly good Jeremy Corbyn.

Not saying you are wrong, but do you have any evidence for the suggestion that the u-turn was the problem?
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    An Indian Muslim colleague of mine says the Christian, Jewish and Muslim God is the same bloke but that the Hindu God is someone different.

What utter rubbish religion is Gods and Devils were invented a long tome ago to explain difficult concepts and above all to keep people in order.

I still remember when I first started school in 1965 the teacher said that God was a man in the sky who is always watching us and loves us, even though I was five years old I remember thinking, what utter tosh and I'd never heard of it before then, I thought 'God' was just something my Dad shouted out when he was annoyed.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    edited June 2017
    Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

No.

"Any reasonable reading of the last few months would have to come to the conclusion that most of the problems now being experienced by Mrs May owe their origins to her former cabinet colleague George Osborne and his manifold failings as Chancellor."
    Nonsense.

The YouGov model showed the Tories were on course for a majority of 70 until Mrs May and Nick Timothy worked their magic on social care changes.

If anything, she needed to go much harder on older retirees with significant property wealth;

The intergenerational stuff was all fart and no follow through. She could have reshaped conservatism for a new generation, winning votes where she needed them and losing them where she didn't.

She wasn't bold enough.
    What a horrifying chart.
    Not really. What happened in the 1940s which meant that that generations wealth might be a bit low....
  • Options
    Pong said:

No.

Nonsense.

Yes. People need to distinguish between the individual YouGov polls, and the large YouGov model based on a week's worth of polls. The models were different. The large model got the election result broadly right. The projections based on individual polls didn't - and if I understand correctly the methodology was changed at the last minute and that made things worse.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,239

The Space Industry Bill looks quite cool.

Does making Mars British qualify as Empire 3.0?

The spaceports thing is more than a little misguided: they probably won't be orbital class space, but just silly little joyrides past the Kaman Line. Sadly, the UK is not well situated for traditional rocket-based launches - at least without upsetting our neighbours by dropping first or second stages on them.

What we do well in is the associated tech: not the launching of sexy rockets, but the stuff that gets put up there. To give an idea: Britain's space industry is worth over £13 billion a year (~$16 billion). SpaceX's launch revenue target in 2016 was just $1.8 billion; Aerodyne made a bid for United Launch Alliance for just $2 billion.

The money's in the goods you take up to orbit, not trucking them up there.

Which is why Luxembourgs stance is interesting. They're investing heavily in asteroid mining. It may sound ridiculous, but just one asteroid might provide billions of dollars worth of metal (e.g. platinum); enough to crash world markets.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidschrieberg1/2017/01/24/asteroid-mining-the-next-grand-venture-of-tiny-luxembourg/
  • Options
    Ooh, Jeremy Corbyn really laying into the Guardian: "hate campaigns run by sections of our national press who are so patriotic they are based in tax havens."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2017/jun/21/queens-speech-2017-theresa-may-promises-humility-and-resolve-as-she-publishes-legislative-programme-politics-live

15:11
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

No.

Nonsense.

She wasn't bold enough.
    What a horrifying chart.
    Not really. What happened in the 1940s which meant that that generations wealth might be a bit low....
    You're misreading the chart. Go back and look again.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    Mr. Jessop, in an unusually scientific ramble, I recently contemplated the possibility of asteroid mining:
    http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/space-adventures-of-proximate-kind.html
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,719
    GIN1138 said:

No.

Good lord your not going to embarrass yourself by comparing Osborne to Churchill now! :(
    I made that comparison last year

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/09/01/george-osborne-the-modern-day-winston-churchill/
  • Options

No.

Nonsense.

Which one? The one that showed them with a 7 point lead the day before the election?
    The model, not the headline VI polls.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,552
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Pardon me for not having appreciated the distinction between apartments being "deliberately kept empty" and unoccupied apartments.

I mean, it must be so common for people to inadvertently keep luxury apartments empty at the cost of God knows how many tens of thousands a year.

I do realise the rich are different, and they routinely do things that are quite incomprehensible to the rest of us mere mortals.

You are being idiotic.
    No. If you read the discussion here, you must know how much scorn was poured on the idea that this number of empty luxury flats would be available locally to rehouse those who lost their homes in the Grenfell Tower. You can be as abusive as you like, but that's a fact.

Of course, if these aren't really luxury flats, as they were described in the comment I was replying to, but empty social housing, then that makes things different. In that case it remains to be seen whether - if the continuance of Theresa May's brilliant career depended on it - alternative accommodation would be found!
    I'm certainly not going back to read the discussions but I'm sure it turned on the mooted enforced purchase of vacant properties of the rich, rather than an accelerated sale, at cost, of about to be sold properties from a newly-completed development which included, as of course all must, a "social housing" element.

Not quite the same thing.
  • Options

SpaceX internet coming around 2024 hopefully.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/4/15539934/spacex-satellite-internet-launch-2019

Don't be too big on telecom stocks when it comes online.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

No.

Nonsense.

What did yougov say about the Brexit referendum before GO worked his project fear magic ?
    I believe their model always had Leave winning, but it was only tested a month or two before June 23rd.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,926
    Chris said:

Pong said:

No.

Nonsense.

Yes. People need to distinguish between the individual YouGov polls, and the large YouGov model based on a week's worth of polls. The models were different. The large model got the election result broadly right. The projections based on individual polls didn't - and if I understand correctly the methodology was changed at the last minute and that made things worse.
    As one may say KABOOM
  • Options
    Chris said:

No, it's not a fact, it's complete nonsense. Much scorn was correctly poured on the notion that there was any national emergency requiring the requisitioning of private property in order to house less than a hundred families in a city of 8.5 million, and on the notion that there are lots of properties being deliberately kept empty in London. I was one of those pouring the scorn.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    SeanT said:

"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent"

Fortunately there are no topics Whereof one cannot speak.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @SkyNewsBreak: The Met Office says the temperature has reached 33.9C at Heathrow in West London making it the hottest June day since 1976
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

No.

Nonsense.

She wasn't bold enough.
    What a horrifying chart.
    Is a cohort based on year of birth?

(I always wondered why I couldn't afford the same lifestyle as my Dad had in his early 20s, even though he has turned the family business into something pretty meaningful in the 50 years since he settled down)
  • Options
    kurtjesterkurtjester Posts: 121
    edited June 2017
    Pulpstar said:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/4/15539934/spacex-satellite-internet-launch-2019

'Cooper said the plan would put 4,425 satellites into orbit around the Earth'

Great, more junk in space, just to save building trenches.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Good afternoon, everyone.

I still don't believe in God.

How do you know you don't?

There's an infinity of other universes in which you do.
    The wavefunction has collapsed.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Corbyn coming down to earth with a bump - what a dreadful response to the Queen's speech.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Day of Rage group just passed me (SW1). Not more than 300-400.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    TOPPING said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

You are being idiotic.

I'm certainly not going back to read the discussions but I'm sure it turned on the mooted enforced purchase of vacant properties of the rich, rather than an accelerated sale, at cost, of about to be sold properties from a newly-completed development which included, as of course all must, a "social housing" element.

In fact a completely different thing

It's actually rather unpleasant watching @bigjohnowls and @chris trying to claim political credit for something that seems to have been a pretty sensible deal worked out by the local council, the Corporation and the private sector.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I doubt it'll make much difference for two reasons:

1) Even with both planned constellations, it'll have limited bandwidth;
    2) Bandwidth requirements are increasing all the time.

It'll be brilliant for remote communities. For those in cities, less so. (At least AIUI: they could be doing something even more exceptionally clever, but the laws of physics are still the same).
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,928

Mr. Eagles, never heard of that Oates fellow.

Mr. Owls, no idea, but one hopes the Government hasn't decided to throw property rights and the rule of law on the bonfire of political convenience.

Property rights are always conditional - and there are already plenty of instances of compulsory purchase in the UK and other countries. Provided compensation is paid (as is required by law) and it really is in the public interest I don't see it as a big issue.

Purchasing empty properties to house those large numbers displaced in an awful fire would qualify in my view though I accept others may feel differently.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    SeanT said:

Nigelb said:

Nope, incorrect. All multiverses stem from the initial point of as perceived from your own multiverse. There cannot be a creator in one and not in others. All things stem from one point of infinite density and infinite energy.

This belief multiverses, you're expressing faith either way.
    So in that case there must either be evidence available that other universes exist, or an acceptance that this is impossible to provide, in which case the "understanding" that they do is based on reasoning and not evidence.

Not at all. You can't see mathematics but it's a truth. There is mathematical evidence of the possibility of multiverses, there is no mathematical evidence of the possibility of God. Nor could there be.
    Newton thought ntion of god (or of a god) in the universe?
    Because theying it for a time.
    And yet something must trigger them at the given precise moment that it happens. And while an individual decay might be 'essentially random', the atoms of a given isotope nonetheless conform collectively to a predictable pattern.

But the original point was that there was "no mathematical evidence of the possibility of God. Nor could there be", and I simply contend that such an assertion is not true. While there might not be any evidence of God, there is evidence of the possibility of God (or gods), which simply requires an unexplained phenomenon that exhibits mathematical characteristics and which might be explicable by the intervention of powers unknown and unknowable.

For what it's worth, I think it's nonsense but all the same, unless disproved then the possibility must be admitted.
    The philosopher and mathematician Wittgenstein was quite possibly the cleverest man who ever lived. Wittgenstein believed in God, albeit in a very unique, and ascetic way.

If forced to choose, I'd take Wittgenstein over "dyedwoolie" of PB.

He did at least provide a perfectly good argument against solipcism.
    Fortunately Sean you are not forced to choose and thus can enjoy the ramblings of a PBer without feeling obliged to tie yourself to the beliefs of a long dead German. I'm sure his corpse is grateful for the props though.
    'Do you mind? I'm trying to have a shit in here.'
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

"the plan would put 4,425 satellites into orbit around the Earth"
    How close will they be to the space junk I wonder.
  • Options
    "lefty"

haha hahahahaha hahahahahahahahahaha

Sean & Surbiton two peas in a pod.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/21/bow-row-jeremy-corbyn-did-not-snub-the-queen-says-labour

Looks like Corbyn didn't snub the Queen after all - you are not supposed to bow, it was May making yet another mistake by breaking protocol. Cameron didn't bow, neither did other Lab leaders. With the exception of, surprise surprise, Gordon Brown.

Peas in a pod May and Brown.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819

Mr. Evershed, a religious position is not a faith. Tell me what an atheist believes in.

The absence of belief is not belief, it's the very opposite. I have a football position, which is that I don't care very much about it. Your argument is that this makes me a football fan.

Do atheists agree on the idea of there being an infinite number of multiverses, in at least one of which there is a God who is God of all multiverses?
    Uh... Why would they?
    Because it's quite uncontroversial, and not contradicted by any physics, to think that there could be other universes. And if there are others then the logical number of them is an infinite number, since why would there be two or fifteen or a million. And thus there must exist a universe in which God does exist and in which he created all universes.
    I don't think that necessarily follows. An infinity of universes can still only include possible things.
    What's impossible about God?

By which I mean, what prevents God from existing, eg in another universe whose properties we cannot observe? If nothing prevents this (which is what we have to conclude), and there exist infinite universes (because what limits the number?), then not only does God exist in an infinity of universes, but also, within that infinity, there are universes in which God exists in that universe as well as in all the others.

Obviously I don't really believe all this crap, but it isn't any worse crap than blind scientism.
    What would prevent an infinity of possible Gods?
    And in that case, what would prevent a truly omnipotent such God with a desire and will to subjugate all universes to His will from existing? And therefore reaching out and conquering all universes, including our own, to a slavery of darkness and pain?

It would appear that such a being doesn't exist - but why not? What, in the line of reasoning that led to the conclusion that there could be a God that existed in all universes, would preclude it?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

It'll be brilliant for remote communities. For those in cities, less so. (At least AIUI: they could be doing something even more exceptionally clever, but the laws of physics are still the same).
    Potentially huge market in Africa ?...
  • Options
    Charles said:

It's actually rather unpleasant watching @bigjohnowls and @chris trying to claim political credit for something that seems to have been a pretty sensible deal worked out by the local council, the Corporation and the private sector.

Especially since that was exactly the point we were making - that the families could be rehoused without invoking emergency powers designed for wartime or major national emergency, as Corbyn was suggesting. Of course, anyone even remotely sane within Labour knew that; probably even Corbyn knew that.
  • Options

Alice is back through the looking glass.
    Actually, I think there's an infinite number of versions of her having a great deal of fun.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    You know, sometimes you think... maybe this country needs Corbyn as PM as a 'shock to the system'

Then you actually watch him, and think...oh f*** we don't.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Potentially huge market in Africa ?...
    Anywhere remote, in fact. It should work in towns and cities, but may well have limited lines-of-sight and bandwidth.

Really cool, though.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    TOPPING said:

Surely you mean precisely 318 with another 10 almost out of sight ?
  • Options

Alice is back through the looking glass.
    Actually, I think there's an infinite number of versions of her having a great deal of fun.
    It's all good fun, I'm sitting here trying to recount thoughts from my degree from 26 years ago, it's immensely amusing and, if nothing else, has made me feel full of faux rage to fit with the zeitgeist.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited June 2017

Mr. Jessop, in an unusually scientific ramble, I recently contemplated the possibility of asteroid mining:
    http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/space-adventures-of-proximate-kind.html

Mr Dancer, such ideas have been around for quite some time. One was to set up a solar panel powered accelerator and use it to shoot debris from the asteroid to act as a reaction motor to alter its orbit and get it nearer Earth and the Moon for easy processing. The simplest arrival method would be crashing it into the moon.

Another method is Gravitational Tugging using a Gravity Tractor - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_tractor

The advantages of these is the lack of a descent into a gravity well and then having to climb back out.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987

Ooh, Jeremy Corbyn really laying into the Guardian: "hate campaigns run by sections of our national press who are so patriotic they are based in tax havens."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2017/jun/21/queens-speech-2017-theresa-may-promises-humility-and-resolve-as-she-publishes-legislative-programme-politics-live

15:11

Corbynistas hate the Guardian as it does not report glowingly on Mr Corbyn at all times.

• Options

Chris said:

No, it's not a fact, it's complete nonsense. Much scorn was correctly poured on the notion that there was any national emergency requiring the requisitioning of private property in order to house less than a hundred families in a city of 8.5 million, and on the notion that there are lots of properties being deliberately kept empty in London. I was one of those pouring the scorn.
    Sorry, but it certainly is a fact that people were arguing the empty property wasn't available. If you can't remember that people were arguing that, you need to pay closer attention before jumping in and shouting "nonsense"!

People were also arguing about whether requisitioning would have been justified if it had been available, but obviously that's a distinct issue. My only comment on that had been that Corbyn had specified "if necessary", which neatly neutralised the comments from the people who were saying "it's not necessary". :-)

My comment today concerned the former issue, and was made in response to a report that empty property had been found in a "luxury block". If it's actually social housing that's not yet ready for occupation, obviously that changes things.
  • Options

God cannot exist within the Universe, any Universe, unless it is subject to the laws of that Universe

God makes universes. They're subject to his laws.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

"the plan would put 4,425 satellites into orbit around the Earth"
    How close will they be to the space junk I wonder.
    From memory, the 4,000+ satellites are going to be automatically deorbited at the end of their lives (yeah, right), and will be in naturally degrading orbits anyway due to atmospheric drag. The 7,000+ constellation will be much lower, and last a much shorter time.

In short: it shouldn't be as bad as most other satellites that are higher.

(To give you an idea of the scale of their plans, only around 7,000 satellites have ever been launched. One of the SpaceX constellations will equal that, and they'll need to be replenished every few years).
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Keith Vaz got re-elected ?

No such thing as bad publicity.
  • Options
    French foxes were particularly concerned about a day of rage I believe
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

They unfortunately tied the Day of Rage for the Day of Fucking Hell, I'm Going Back Inside, This is Blistering

I just nipped out to do dump some rubbish. OMG. It's unbearable. I am now back at my desk, wilting in the breeze of my new Dyson Cool Fan, set on max.
    Do they work?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

They unfortunately tied the Day of Rage for the Day of Fucking Hell, I'm Going Back Inside, This is Blistering

I just nipped out to do dump some rubbish. OMG. It's unbearable. I am now back at my desk, wilting in the breeze of my new Dyson Cool Fan, set on max.

The rather pathetic Day of Rage seems to have attracted a whole lot more press coverage than it ever deserved. Many on the left and right will be disappointed that it has been such a damp squib - though for different reasons, no doubt.

• Options
    Mrs C, you know what'd happen. They'd commission some bloody useless, cheap organisation to do it and accidentally shear off half the Moon and send it into the Earth.

Not that I lack faith (ahem) in our political overlords, of course.
  • Options

Morris is not in the other universes. A different entity is.
    Depends on the properties of the other universes. What are they?
    It doesn't matter. Morris exists in this universe. Any morris lookalike elsewhere is not Morris.
    Yes he is. He's Morris in another universe.

In this universe Morris buys a newspaper then a coffee. In another, he buys a coffee then a newspaper. Two universes, both equally probable.
  • Options

God cannot exist within the Universe, any Universe, unless it is subject to the laws of that Universe

It was her a minute ago. Is God self identifying gender on a coin flip?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited June 2017
    Scott_P said:

@SkyNewsBreak: The Met Office says the temperature has reached 33.9C at Heathrow in West London making it the hottest June day since 1976

Well that's not true, I remeber it hit 37C in the early 2000's.

Edit: whoops just sen it says hottest june day.
  • Options
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

You are being idiotic.

In fact a completely different thing

"Political credit"? Please. I don't have truck with any of these professional politicians. My comment was just a dig at the people who had suggested these properties didn't exist. If the comment I was responding to was misleading, so be it (though of course that would by no means prove there were no empty properties in Kensington).
  • Options
    Ms. Forethought, I don't buy newspapers.
  • Options

It doesn't matter. Morris exists in this universe. Any morris lookalike elsewhere is not Morris.

In this universe Morris buys a newspaper then a coffee. In another, he buys a coffee then a newspaper. Two universes, both equally probable.
    Let's call them Morris A and Morris B. If Morris A does not believe in God then he does not believe in God. Morris B having a damascene conversion in Costa doesn't alter that at all. Morris B is not Morris A.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

nunu said:

Scott_P said:

Well that's not true, I remeber it hit 37C in the early 2000's.
    Yeah but they're talking of June and that was August. August 3rd 2003 to be precise. I remember it, the heat gave me a horrible headache, and I like heat. Hottest day ever in the UK.

This is possibly the hottest London day I can remember, since then (though there probably others). It feels more intense, somehow.
    I hate heat, at least in the winter you can warm up, there is a limit to how much you can cool down however.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464
    GIN1138 said:

No.

Osborne is 46. At the same age, Churchill had not yet become Chancellor - though he had managed to screw up various other cabinet positions.
  • Options

"Obviously I don't really believe all this crap"
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Chris said:

My comment today concerned the former issue, and was made in response to a report that empty property had been found in a "luxury block". If it's actually social housing that's not yet ready for occupation, obviously that changes things.

Blimey, you are obtuse.

You seem to be arguing with yourself, and even then you've got it wrong. What difference does it make if it's 'social housing'? The fact is that, as I and others were saying at the time, there is housing available in London, a city of 8.5m, for 68 families, and not too far away. There is no need for Jeremy Corbyn's NKVD officers to requisition private property from the kulaks. There is no national emergency justifying 'occupation, requisition, compulsory purchase' as Corbyn proposed. And there aren't lots of homes being deliberately left empty. But there are flats, like these ones, coming on to the market all the time.
  • Options

Which is why Luxembourgs stance is interesting. They're investing heavily in asteroid mining. It may sound ridiculous, but just one asteroid might provide billions of dollars worth of metal (e.g. platinum); enough to crash world markets.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidschrieberg1/2017/01/24/asteroid-mining-the-next-grand-venture-of-tiny-luxembourg/

Apparently this is why aliens invading Earth for the water or the minerals will never happen. They'll get more, with no gravity to speak of to fight, from mining asteroids.

A really devious alien race would mine all the good stuff and dump it on earth to trash the markets. Then when the global economy's screwed that's when they invade. All your base are belong to us, and so on.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048

LOL. Belief in Middle Eastern sky fairies never fails to make me laugh.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited June 2017
    Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

No.

Nonsense.

She wasn't bold enough.
    What a horrifying chart.
    An explanation for the electoral appeal of Corbynism in one chart. It's also provides the context for the general upsurge in political violence.

The really bad news?

When the next bar on the left is added, it'll need a substantial extension of the y axis.

The full report is worth reading if you have a spare half hour;

http://www.resolutionfoundation.org/app/uploads/2017/06/Wealth.pdf
  • Options
    Mr. Tyndall, the conversations here appear quite odd.

I feel I should stress I am not a Middle Eastern sky fairy.
  • Options
    You don't know what heat is until you've lain immobile on your bed in a hostal in Avila in the middle of August with the sun shining straight through the window, the temperature showing 47 celsius, your head throbbing and your throat parched because of all the dodgy brandy you drank the night before. That is heat. And that is a hangover. Sometimes I am glad I am older than I once was.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I am now back at my desk, wilting in the breeze of my new Dyson Cool Fan, set on max.

It's difficult to judge from the colourful variety of your posting history but is that a John Prescott desk type sex reference ?!?

Confused of Auchentennach.

• Options
    edited June 2017

Mrs C, you know what'd happen. They'd commission some bloody useless, cheap organisation to do it and accidentally shear off half the Moon and send it into the Earth.

Not that I lack faith (ahem) in our political overlords, of course.

We would be safe enough Mr Dancer. We need to mine the moon first before we go chasing asteroids. There is lots of useful metals up there and they are already mapping it out

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_Mineralogy_Mapper

and this showing Titanium

• Options
    kurtjesterkurtjester Posts: 121
    edited June 2017

Apparently this is why aliens invading Earth for the water or the minerals will never happen. They'll get more, with no gravity to speak of to fight, from mining asteroids.

A really devious alien race would mine all the good stuff and dump it on earth to trash the markets. Then when the global economy's screwed that's when they invade. All your base are belong to us, and so on.
    There's not that much to eat on asteroids. If aliens are looking for nice meaty things to munch for lunch, there are billions of snacks on the planet surface.
  • Options

Mr. Tyndall, the conversations here appear quite odd.

I feel I should stress I am not a Middle Eastern sky fairy.

I can't even remember what i'm arguing. Something about you drinking coffee in an alternate church?
  • Options
    Mrs C, do wonder how they're going to divvy it up between nations and companies.
  • Options

You don't know what heat is until you've lain immobile on your bed in a hostal in Avila in the middle of August with the sun shining straight through the window, the temperature showing 47 celsius, your head throbbing and your throat parched because of all the dodgy brandy you drank the night before. That is heat. And that is a hangover. Sometimes I am glad I am older than I once was.

Moving out of the dry heat of the Sahara to the southern end of Mauritania and into Senegal and the sub tropical humidity is the heat of champions.
  • Options

Mrs C, do wonder how they're going to divvy it up between nations and companies.

The usual method no doubt. Read "Earthlight" by Arthur C Clarke. Old but a classic.
  • Options
    God the SNP are grumpy today.
  • Options

God is all sexes, the lucky bint.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,950

The heat?
  • Options

God is all sexes, the lucky bint.
    And all the colours of the rainbow too. Praise them in the Highest!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

The heat?
    No, one of them just asked about votes for 16/17 year olds with a delicious 'I'm gonna nut you' expression
  • Options

Let's call them Morris A and Morris B. If Morris A does not believe in God then he does not believe in God. Morris B having a damascene conversion in Costa doesn't alter that at all. Morris B is not Morris A.
    Now you're just being obtuse. Well, in this universe, anyway.

There must be another universe where you win this thread.
  • Options

Chris said:

Blimey, you are obtuse.
    I'm not even in your league. I've only just explained to you that I was arguing against the contention that there was no empty luxury housing in the area.

Try reading what people say to you, instead of deleting it to make yourself look less stupid.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

The heat?
    A storm called "Ruth".
  • Options

LOL. Belief in Middle Eastern sky fairies never fails to make me laugh.
    Who believes in those? Nobody round here...
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    As hot as it is here just be glad you're not in Paris right now - currently 37 degrees. My girlfriend just said the air con in her office is switched off because some bitch (her word) says it makes her sick.

In July 2015 it hit over 40 degrees, and I felt completely desiccated by the time I got out of the RER (disgusting at the best of times) after work.

Not a fan of hot weather!
  • Options

There's one in which I win the thread in all universes apparently. So, respect me or something ;)
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,255
    SeanT said:

Nigelb said:

This belief multiverses, you're expressing faith either way.

Newton thought ntion of god (or of a god) in the universe?
    Because theying it for a time.

The philosopher and mathematician Wittgenstein was quite possibly the cleverest man who ever lived. Wittgenstein believed in God, albeit in a very unique, and ascetic way.

If forced to choose, I'd take Wittgenstein over "dyedwoolie" of PB.

My friend Giles had his room at Trinity. Many good evenings were had there.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,014
    edited June 2017

Uh... Why would they?
    n. And thus there must exist a universe in which God does exist and in which he created all universes.

Quite. But evidence of possibility is rather different to no evidence of possibility.
    One has a chance of being correct, the other is something that does not exist.
    There's no evidence of the impossibility of God either. What stops her existing?
    The traditional view of God i.e. omniscient, omnipotent and benevolent with a personal relationship with individual humans who pray to him is logically inconsistent and so we can be sure it doesn't exist. This is known as the problem of evil and all the so-called answers are desperate fudges.

We may live in the simulation of an technologically advanced alien species who may, to all extents and purposes, be omniscient and omnipotent, but they sure as hell aren't benevolent to us. So you can't call them God with the usual properties.
  • Options

There's one in which I win the thread in all universes apparently. So, respect me or something ;)
    Well, except this one, obviously.
  • Options
    Mrs C, would that I had the time/money/weren't being really cautious because my card was stolen from recently.

Mr. Woolie, the confusion clearly stems from my divine tips, which some PBers heretically refuse to acknowledge as Heaven-sent.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

In October I am going to the Danakil Depression, in Ethiopia. It is known as "the cruellest place on earth", for many reasons - deadly volcanic activity, utterly sterile salt deserts - - but also the infernal heat.

There are many months when it doesn't ever dip below 40C. It can easily reach 50C or more. Maybe 55C.

Camden right now is good training.

I will never go to the Danakil Depression in Ethiopia.

• Options

Well, except this one, obviously.
    Look, we increased our vote and MPs and you clearly have lost your majority. I stand ready to present an alternative Queen's Argument.
  • Options

Moving out of the dry heat of the Sahara to the southern end of Mauritania and into Senegal and the sub tropical humidity is the heat of champions.

Killer.

• Options
    SeanT said:

That moment when PB tries to prove, or disprove, the existence of God.

Guys, I have a sense we might be over-reaching.

The YouGov model has God existing in Mansfield but not in Canterbury, who are we to argue with that logic?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

The heat?
    Prick(ly) heat ....
  • Options
    Nooo, Oksana is leaving Strictly.
  • Options
    Apparently God kills 20 million people in the Old Testament, whereas Satan only kills 10.

After Sodom was destroyed, Lot's daughters got him drunk and "lay with him" so that he'd get them in the club. "Thus were both the daughters of Lot with child by their father" and God was fine with that.

Fascinating stuff.
  • Options
    TypoTypo Posts: 195
    #dayofrage looks more like the #dayofbeige

Where are they all?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

That moment when PB tries to prove, or disprove, the existence of God.

Guys, I have a sense we might be over-reaching.

It's a bit less arcane and angels-on-a-pin than who the next Lib Dem leader's going to be.
This discussion has been closed.