Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on Queen’s Speech day – and we still don’t if the Tories

Comments

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    DavidL said:

The answer to these questions and more, sadly, has been that oldies vote. I am disappointed by the outcome of the election (to put it mildly) but I very much hope the higher turnout shows younger generations have got the message.

Depends what they vote for. In the general election that has just happened, they voted for economic collapse, huge unemployment, humongous increases in the national debt they'll be burdened with, and continued protection of wealthy pensioners.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,548
    Is it some kind of in-joke that on the BBC website the volume while watching the QS goes up to 11?!
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    TOPPING said:

Is it some kind of in-joke that on the BBC website the volume while watching the QS goes up to 11?!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088258/
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464
    stodge said:

[snip] I would contend the Conservative campaign's ineptitude aided Labour as much if not more than the LDs.

I'm also not convinced about this notion of "huge numbers of voters being up for grabs". When you have two such immensely polarising figures as May and Corbyn, the notion becomes that to oppose one you must vote for the other. To vote for a third choice means the least preferred choice might win.

I'd entirely agree that the Con campaign aided Labour far more than the LDs but that's because Labour and Corbyn grasped the opportunity. It need not have been them had someone else done it more effectively. After the shock of 2015, I can understand the limited, defensive battle that the Lib Dems fought and, on its own terms, won. i can also understand why having seen, for example, UKIP pile up 4m votes for one seat, the Lib Dems had no inclination to try to advance everywhere (and in any case, probably didn't have the resources to do so).

All the same, I'd stand by the contention that there were an awful lot of undecideds. The swing during the election is testament to that - but that swing was also typical of an increasingly non-partisan electorate.

Could the Lib Dems have made the breakthrough with a different leader and strategy? The first thing to say is that it probably couldn't with the options available. Farron wasn't destined to spend the campaign talking about gay sex but even if he'd avoided that beartrap, he'd still have sounded the slightly whingy student rather than a PM-in-waiting. Similarly, Norman Lamb, while a decent man, would have struggled in the charisma stakes when up against Corbyn.

However, that's not to say the opportunity wasn't there for someone to almost exactly mirror what Macron did in France (or what the Alliance did in the early 1980s), had someone with the leadership and charisma of Ashdown led the LDs in 2017.

Had that been the case, Corbyn would still have attracted the youth vote and May would still have blundered with the manifesto but the disillusioned voters who clearly did switch from the Tories to Labour (and hence are unlikely to have viewed either with great fear), could well have gone to the third option and built a momentum of their own as Labour struggled and the Tories declined. That would have generated its own dynamic, with much greater criticism within Labour while the Tories stayed quiet, hoping that things would work out and in so doing, failing to address the problems besetting the campaign. At the same time, this (mythical) Lib Dem would have generated positive attention as 'the rising star' of the campaign.

Taking moderate support from Labour, pragmatic support from the Tories and bucket-opposition support from UKIP, there was an opportunity to build a coalition of at least 30% for the Lib Dems - in theory.

In practice, such a leader never existed and this is all hypothetical water under the bridge.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036
    Keep the door shut !
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

What a lot of utter guff our constitutional traditions are

I enjoy all the traditions.

Nobody puts on a ceremony like the Brits.
    It's all a little bit unseemly though when set against the real tragedy seen in the last few weeks. The news channels wheeling out the stuffed shirts to waffle about protocol in plumb accents and the need for the speech to be written onto goatskin paper. Is that really what a modern society is about?
    What do you think a modern society should be about? What would happen in dyedwoolie's Year Zero?
    That's a very good question. Far more emphasis on endeavour, cooperation, technology, social equality, progress and far less on pageantry. A written constitution, two fully elected chambers with an elected head of state. Keep the monarchy if you like as a purely ceremonial tourist honey trap.
    Or, I don't know. Something different, something better, something more relevant, something for everyone not everything for some.
    People like traditions. That's why they endure.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

GIN1138 said:

It's all a little bit unseemly though when set against the real tragedy seen in the last few weeks. The news channels wheeling out the stuffed shirts to waffle about protocol in plumb accents and the need for the speech to be written onto goatskin paper. Is that really what a modern society is about?
    I believe the paper is faux goatskin.
    The QS actually has to be tattooed onto the goat while it is still alive. That's why it takes so long to prepare.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Chris said:

Tories have a simple decision to make imo.
    Do they want to lose in a landslide at any point in the next 5 years, whilst unable to push through their programme or roll the dice, let Corbyn have a go and of he is as bad as they suspect sweep in on landslide next time?

It's worth remembering that the Tories haven't had a landslide for 30 years.
    Indeed - the last time the Tories secured a sustainable working majority was Mrs Thatcher in June 1987
    Before I was born.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    Mr. Evershed, absolutely unacceptable.

Going along with C of E as the established church is one thing. Specifically excluding non-theists through this mealy-mouthed, weak-kneed nonsense of 'faith' (as Charles reportedly wants to change the coronation vow from Defender of the Faith to Defender of Faith) is bullshit. I don't mind the established church having some measure of privilege for historical, cultural and contemporary reasons.

I do mind atheism/agnosis being treated as second class compared to every damned religion (which includes Scientology).
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Scott_P said:

Shows performance based management - sacking the underperformers.

Also a standard trick of leaders to blame the underlings to protect their own position.
  • Options
    Bobajob_PBBobajob_PB Posts: 928

https://order-order.com/2017/06/21/mcdonnell-repeatedly-backed-far-left-group-behind-day-of-rage/

While Jezza isn't the sharpest tool in the box and wed to his failed policies from the 70s, I have always said McMao is far far more dangerous.

And we now know that the DUP is closely linked to the UDA. No surrender!
    "closely linked" - how so?
    Worth watching Newsnight from last night
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,718

DUP asking for one billion extra for NHS and one billion extra for infrastructure report colleagues at @BBCnireland

One billion total for the NHS budget, or just for NI?
    Just for Northern Ireland
    As stated below, if she had any sense she would make £200 a week extra by 2022 a similar policy to the coalition's £10k IC threshold by 2015.
    Barnett consequentials means for every billion spent in NI, £36 billion needs to spent in Scotland, Wales, and England.
  • Options
    Here comes the riff raff
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Skinner :lol:
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

DUP asking for one billion extra for NHS and one billion extra for infrastructure report colleagues at @BBCnireland

Wouldn't that equate to like 30bn for other parts of the UK due to funding agreements?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    stodge said:

After a successful opening day at the Berkshire equine nonsense, Stodge's Day Two thoughts are as follows:

3.05: HAPPY LIKE A FOOL
    3.45: SMART CALL
    4.20: HIGHLAND REEL

That sounds the chapter headings for a book on the general election...
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

As stated below, if she had any sense she would make £200 a week extra by 2022 a similar policy to the coalition's £10k IC threshold by 2015.
    Barnett consequentials means for every billion spent in NI, £36 billion needs to spent in Scotland, Wales, and England.
    Er well there you go - deals off.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Skinner actually funny shock. The experience of being targeted has made him up his game.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,543

DavidL said:

The answer to these questions and more, sadly, has been that oldies vote. I am disappointed by the outcome of the election (to put it mildly) but I very much hope the higher turnout shows younger generations have got the message.

Depends what they vote for. In the general election that has just happened, they voted for economic collapse, huge unemployment, humongous increases in the national debt they'll be burdened with, and continued protection of wealthy pensioners.
    Oh I didn't say they had the right message yet. But maybe next time the Conservatives will think young people are actually worth engaging with.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Mr. Woolie, you silly sausage.

Huzzah for monarchy!

Mr. Barnesian, and with what would you replace tradition? A kaleidoscope nation? Rewriting the national anthem to make it more inclusive, as Lord Goldsmith once wanted?

When you create a void, something will occupy it. It's not good enough to merely dislike something. You need something better to replace it or you may well end up with something worse.

Monarchists are usually crap at explaining why an accident of birth should leave one feather bedded all ones life – as Britain's richest welfare recipients. Hardly a flagship for a meritocracy.
    The Labour leader's son is working for one of his mates - who also happens to be an MP and shadow chancellor. I'd love to see the extensive process they went through before Seb Corbyn was seen as being the best possible candidate for the job.

Or is meritocracy not applicable to the top of the Labour party?
    Nepotism occurs across all parties and industries. That it is exists is hardly a defence for the royal family.
  • Options
    Corbyn ignoring May.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    edited June 2017

In 2016/17 health spending in NI was £5 billion. So they are asking to increase the budget by a fifth.

https://fullfact.org/health/what-is-the-nhs-budget/

And, spending in NI per head is already much higher than the rest of the UK at £2700, vs £2200 (eng), £2300 (wales), £2500 (scot).

Greedy bastards.
  • Options

Do they want to lose in a landslide at any point in the next 5 years, whilst unable to push through their programme or roll the dice, let Corbyn have a go and of he is as bad as they suspect sweep in on landslide next time?
    Keeping Corbyn out of number 10 only seems to be a goal if by squatting you can get things done.

Bring back laissez faire.
  • Options
    Mr. Charles, rather good.

On DUP/Barnett, surely they'd know this and try to sidestep the £30bn plus elsewhere?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Pulpstar said:

Here comes the riff raff

Get youre skates on the first race is at two thirty
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,341
    Barnesian said:

Huzzah for monarchy!

Mr. Barnesian, and with what would you replace tradition? A kaleidoscope nation? Rewriting the national anthem to make it more inclusive, as Lord Goldsmith once wanted?

When you create a void, something will occupy it. It's not good enough to merely dislike something. You need something better to replace it or you may well end up with something worse.

Don't involve the Queen. The PM should read out the government programme in the house of commons. Simple.and better.
    Noooo! Then it would be all full of political spin and guff. When HM does it it has to be an as-dry-as-dust legislative agenda - far better than having 'strong and stable', 'many not the few', 'no return to boom and bust' splattered all over it.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Is that just for Belfast West ?? .... :smiley:
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

[snip]

It's not a disgrace.

All you are seeing there is something very obvious: pensioners' income is less volatile than working-age people's income. In bad times, it doesn't fall much if at all, because there is no effect from unemployment, the state pension doesn't fall (generally not even in real terms), annuities continue to be paid unchanged, and final-salary pensions continue to be paid unchanged. Conversely, though, in good times none of those sources of income increases much if at all, whereas working-age incomes improve because of lower unemployment, higher salaries, and bonuses. As a result of this effect, in the years of good times leading up to the crash, pensioners' income had hugely fallen behind. In the bad times after the crash, it was working-age people who did worse. This is not at all a disgrace, it's perfectly normal.

Of course, none of this takes place in a policy vacuum, and it is true that policy deliberately protected pensioners in and after the crash, in particular with the triple lock. But the triple lock overwhelmingly benefited the poorest pensioners (those reliant on the state pension only), and they are really quite poor, even now. It was a reasonable policy at the time to build in a bit of catch-up for the poorest pensioners after the boom times left them so far behind.

The policy now has done its job, and should be abandoned now, as Theresa May tried to do. Unfortunately the votes of the just-about-managing youngsters and young families made that politically impossible, and have cemented the triple lock in place. It's a funny old world, but that is what they voted for.
    Many of the factors that you mention which have favoured pensioners (such as the terms of private pensions) are in addition to the figures that I have quoted which are only concerned with direct public sector spending. And the consequences have been to aggravate the problems those working for a living have had rather than to mitigate them.

At a time when real wages have really struggled or fallen is it really a priority to reduce in work benefits or should state pension increases have been restrained instead? Why do we still have a higher personal allowance for pensioners? Why, as May tried to do, have some of the expensive fripperies such as WFA, free TV licences and bus passes at least been means tested? Why has NI not been incorporated into IT so that everyone pays a share that better reflects their disposable income?

As I've posted elsewhere - the younger generation haven't got it; they voted for the status quo
  • Options
    Dress-down Wednesday doesn't seem to be a jeans and tee-shirt affair.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

So less than 1% of the total budget ?

Loose change for the exchequer - issue is do reciprocal Barnett payments have to be made ?

MAGIC MONEY TREE!!!!!!
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

What do you think a modern society should be about? What would happen in dyedwoolie's Year Zero?
    That's a very good question. Far more emphasis on endeavour, cooperation, technology, social equality, progress and far less on pageantry. A written constitution, two fully elected chambers with an elected head of state. Keep the monarchy if you like as a purely ceremonial tourist honey trap.
    Or, I don't know. Something different, something better, something more relevant, something for everyone not everything for some.
    Some people.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Oh I didn't say they had the right message yet. But maybe next time the Conservatives will think young people are actually worth engaging with.
    From yesterdays thread, where the Tories lost wasn't the youngsters (yes there was some surge), but they lost among 30-40 year olds. I mean that is bloody awful up against Corbyn. It is one thing losing to the students and their rose tinted glasses of what Venezula-light would look like, but 40 somethings....

When May was miles ahead in the polls, it was with middle aged people she was doing well with.
  • Options

In 2016/17 health spending in NI was £5 billion. So they are asking to increase the budget by a fifth.

And, spending in NI per head is already much higher than the rest of the UK at £2700, vs £2200 (eng), £2300 (wales), £2500 (scot).

Greedy bastards.
    May should tell them to get stuffed.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    stodge said:

It's an interesting point and as others have said in countries like Greece, Portugal and Spain public servants have suffered significant pay cuts.

That hasn't happened here - instead the downward pressure on grades within job profiles has accentuated the differences between the public and private sectors. The skill set required for a medium level post in the public sector and the money that now commands are inferior to the equivalent in the private sector so the public sector struggles to recruit specialists - I've seen this in the field of estate management as an example.

There has also been the ludicrous ring-fencing of NHS, education and other budgets so the reductions have fallen disproportionately in local Government and other sectors.

Is there a skill set for estate management? Just asking not judging.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Corbyn ignoring May.

Refusing to share his racing tips - poor form.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

You like them. The QS is a farce.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Chris said:

Indeed - the last time the Tories secured a sustainable working majority was Mrs Thatcher in June 1987
    and that only one Labour leader has won the most seats in an election in over 40 years
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,928

One billion total for the NHS budget, or just for NI? If overall, if May had any sense, like the way the coalition made the raising of IC threshold to £10k a priority, she would make adding £200 million a week extra by 2022 a priority.
    Presumably for Northern Ireland.
    £1bn for NHS overall would be a very modest change.

But there are presumably Barnett formula implications which might well leave England worse off?
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    nunu said:

Corbyn ignoring May.

As are the Cabinet !
  • Options

Greedy bastards.
    That means that spending would be £3240 per person in NI if that £1bil increase was approved. Against £2200 in England, not sure that would be tolerated.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

You can understand why Phil Hammond is putting the kibosh on such a deal.

He's displaying all the talent to be PM.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

Some people.

Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

The monarchy is hugely popular. You may not like that fact, but it is a fact.
  • Options

stodge said:

It's an interesting point and as others have said in countries like Greece, Portugal and Spain public servants have suffered significant pay cuts.

That hasn't happened here - instead the downward pressure on grades within job profiles has accentuated the differences between the public and private sectors. The skill set required for a medium level post in the public sector and the money that now commands are inferior to the equivalent in the private sector so the public sector struggles to recruit specialists - I've seen this in the field of estate management as an example.

There has also been the ludicrous ring-fencing of NHS, education and other budgets so the reductions have fallen disproportionately in local Government and other sectors.

Is there a skill set for estate management? Just asking not judging.
    Will any liberals declare in the Lib Dem leadership race ?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,229

Huzzah for monarchy!

Monarchists are usually crap at explaining why an accident of birth should leave one feather bedded all ones life – as Britain's richest welfare recipients. Hardly a flagship for a meritocracy.
    The Labour leader's son is working for one of his mates - who also happens to be an MP and shadow chancellor. I'd love to see the extensive process they went through before Seb Corbyn was seen as being the best possible candidate for the job.

Nepotism occurs across all parties and industries. That it is exists is hardly a defence for the royal family.
    No, but it's an indication that leftists should get their own house in order before talking about topics such as meritocracy and nepotism.

What would you (and I mean you) replace the monarchy with? How can you guarantee it will be better?
  • Options

TGOHF said:

You can understand why Phil Hammond is putting the kibosh on such a deal.

He's displaying all the talent to be PM.
    Er I think even Gordon Brown would have baulked at that. Perhaps even Diane Abbott.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

That is exactly what Theresa May was trying to do. Unfortunately, she made an absolute Horlicks of it.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Chris said:

and that only one Labour leader has won the most seats in an election in over 40 years
    Which suggests there is significant unhappiness with both Labour and Conservatives among big sections of the electorate.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    What time do the Starbucks drinking, Pret eating, SuperDry wearing, iPhone using Day of Ragers kick off?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,928

As I've posted elsewhere - the younger generation haven't got it; they voted for the status quo

Corbyn = status quo?
    Well it's a view I suppose....
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342
    Liz sounds half asleep
  • Options
    kurtjesterkurtjester Posts: 121

What time do the Starbucks drinking, Pret eating, SuperDry wearing, iPhone using Day of Ragers kick off?

When they get out of bed. 2pm maybe?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,294
    Sean_F said:

I wonder if Charles will be able to get through it without throwing in his own commentary on the contents.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 845
    Marf cartoon. Absolutely great. Give her a pay rise.
    What a load of guff this State Opening is. Will the country ever move on.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,864
    edited June 2017
    nunu said:

Corbyn ignoring May.

Didn't bow to the queen either. Not exactly gentlemanly behaviour - which contrasts with the descriptions we read here of those who know him personally.....
  • Options
    Brom said:

Chris said:

Perhaps that is the future we are looking at. Endless minority governments of Lab and Con, hung parliaments in 80% of elections, and the occasional miniscule majority tory government. We need an En Marche UK!
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,014
    edited June 2017
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

Nobody puts on a ceremony ol in plumb accents and the need for the speech to be written onto goatskin paper. Is that really what a modern society is about?
    Some people.

Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

The monarchy isn't the problem. It is the ridiculous ceremonial.
    Sorry I've messed up the quotes.
  • Options

Going along with C of E as the established church is one thing. Specifically excluding non-theists through this mealy-mouthed, weak-kneed nonsense of 'faith' (as Charles reportedly wants to change the coronation vow from Defender of the Faith to Defender of Faith) is bullshit. I don't mind the established church having some measure of privilege for historical, cultural and contemporary reasons.

I do mind atheism/agnosis being treated as second class compared to every damned religion (which includes Scientology).

Is the absence of faith not itself a faith?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

Some people.

Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

urist honey trap.
    I don't deny that fact. Still worth those of us that do not agree voicing other options and pointing out the absurdity of some rituals. I'm not suggesting change against the will of the people but I would like to see more discussion on the subject.
  • Options

nunu said:

Corbyn ignoring May.

Didn't bow to the queen either. Not exactly gentlemanly behaviour - which contrasts with the descriptions we read here of those who know him personally.....
    He's pumping up his rage for the demo afterwards.
  • Options

After they rip up their losing betting slips from the 2:30 race in the royal box.
  • Options
    Kerching, no Trump visit.
  • Options
    Boris looks old.
  • Options

Twitter machine is going to go into meltdown....
  • Options
    Interesting comment on the things we will legislate for (agriculture, fisheries, nuclear iirc) but not others - eg aerospace - which suggests some things will remain with European cooperation....
  • Options

But we were assured on here that his visit was a CERTAINTY.

Free money, the PB Leaver Trumpers told us!
  • Options
    Mr. Evershed, when people speak of faith, they mean religion.

Atheism/agnosis are religious positions. Neither can be considered faith because neither believe in something for which there is no evidence.
  • Options

nunu said:

Corbyn ignoring May.

Why should he bow to her? I don't bow to women when I meet them. Do you?
  • Options
    Also missing - 'grammar schools' and 'Trump State visit'......perhaps they don't have a date yet.....
  • Options
    Well that was... image
  • Options

Huzzah for monarchy!

No, but it's an indication that leftists should get their own house in order before talking about topics such as meritocracy and nepotism.

What would you (and I mean you) replace the monarchy with? How can you guarantee it will be better?
    Elected monarch.

Apolitical election.

Mandy the Tea Girl can apply.
  • Options

nunu said:

Corbyn ignoring May.

Are you fatuous, ignorant or drunk?
  • Options
    The hat balancer is very good.
  • Options
    Sean

I don't care whether it is popular or not.
  • Options
    Robert Peston‏T @Peston

Confirmation that grammar schools, end of pension triple lock, means-testing winter fuel allowance all in history's dustbin #QueensSpeech

The oldies get their way. Not sure that's good for the country.
  • Options

Huzzah for monarchy!

Elected monarch.

Apolitical election.

Mandy the Tea Girl can apply.
    Apolitical election?

Lols.....
  • Options

It would have been, but for the election - I'm happy enough to have lost £100 @ 5-6 on that anyhow. Anyway I need him to not set foot in the country now to win the saver.
  • Options
    kurtjesterkurtjester Posts: 121
    edited June 2017

nunu said:

Corbyn ignoring May.

You're bowing to the Office of Head of State, not the person. Dimwit.
  • Options
    With the news on the state visit and non state visit isn't it a bit late for HMQ to be taking sides in the 1898 US-Spanish war?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Sean_F said:

I wonder if Charles will be able to get through it without throwing in his own commentary on the contents.
    That's asking a lot of me!
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

They're just making a show for their voters - given there might be another election soonish, But, oh, what a shame, Barnett stopped it. Well, they tried.

• Options

nunu said:

Corbyn ignoring May.

Why should he bow to an unelected head of state, Britain's richest welfare recipient?
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Brom said:

Chris said:

Perhaps that is the future we are looking at. Endless minority governments of Lab and Con, hung parliaments in 80% of elections, and the occasional miniscule majority tory government. We need an En Marche UK!
    We should probably wait to see how Macron does before we declare it the future.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

It would have been, but for the election - I'm happy enough to have lost £100 @ 5-6 on that anyhow. Anyway I need him to not set foot in the country now to win the saver.
    Aye, and if me grandma had balls she'd be...
  • Options
    I'm sure a saw the Queen sigh when she read out "leaving the European Union".
  • Options

nunu said:

Corbyn ignoring May.

I see the PB Tories are resorted to crass insults because they can't answer the effing question.
  • Options

Mr. Evershed, when people speak of faith, they mean religion.

Atheism/agnosis are religious positions. Neither can be considered faith because neither believe in something for which there is no evidence.

"Atheism/agnosis are religious positions".

I rest my case M'Lud.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    Good news that the Queen and the country seem set to be spared the indignity and humiliation of a Trump state visit. It looks like Mrs May's plans to bestride the world with the most anti-British US president in decades are to be postponed.
  • Options

nunu said:

Corbyn ignoring May.

I see the PB Tories are resorted to crass insults because they can't answer the effing question.
    Drunk it is. The question was answered down thread.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739

Is the absence of faith not itself a faith?
    No.
  • Options
    nunu said:

I'm sure a saw the Queen sigh when she read out "leaving the European Union".

Of course! It's only a small number of generations ago her forebears were claiming the throne of France via Henry VI. Move aside Macron!
  • Options

nunu said:

Corbyn ignoring May.

It depends on the protocol.

For example, I would consider it bad manners to refuse to bow to a judge, when they enter or leave a Courtroom.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    isam said:

I've spent the last few days in Northern Ireland, which was sunny and pleasantly warm. I'm currently speeding back to London to a flat on the third floor with huge warehouse windows and a massive skylight.

It's going to be like an oven, isn't it?

If you were a Tory politician, you'd probably be sacked for that!
    There are some hypotheticals too unlikely to waste time considering.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    nunu said:

Greedy bastards.
    May should tell them to get stuffed.
    You mean no deal is better than a bad deal?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Aye, and if me grandma had balls she'd be...
    I'd happily make the same bet again.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,548

nunu said:

Corbyn ignoring May.

He's on a roll. Authenticity taking a slight back seat to gaining power. Wouldn't do to sully the narrative.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

nunu said:

Corbyn ignoring May.

Incorrect.

There is no "Office of the Head of State". The Queen's person is the Head of State and you bow to her as the physical embodiment of same, should you choose so to do.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,399

Mercifully I'm off to Scotland tomorrow so will avoid the racegoers' vomit and filth.

We'll see what we can do..
This discussion has been closed.