Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf’s afternoon cartoon on the Brexit talks

12346»

Comments

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,235

The biggest problem is not planning permissions or the lack of land. It is land banking by the developers.

The Guardian gets it.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/jan/31/britain-land-housing-crisis-developers-not-building-land-banking

600,000 plots of land with planning permission that they won't build on.

To quote:

"Getting planning permission isn’t the issue: England consistently grants twice as many permissions as homes that are started."

Maybe this is a use for that LVT everyone keeps talking about. If the developers were forced to pay tax on the value of the and they are sitting on they would start thinking about building on it soon enough.

If you follow through and read the article the opinion piece is citing you find the whole premise is bullshit. Some of the 600,000 doesn't have any permission at all, others are tied up in objections or have permission pending other conditions that haven't been met.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,116

The biggest problem is not planning permissions or the lack of land. It is land banking by the developers.

The Guardian gets it.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/jan/31/britain-land-housing-crisis-developers-not-building-land-banking

To quote:

"Getting planning permission isn’t the issue: England consistently grants twice as many permissions as homes that are started."

Maybe this is a use for that LVT everyone keeps talking about. If the developers were forced to pay tax on the value of the and they are sitting on they would start thinking about building on it soon enough.

If you follow through and read the article the opinion piece is citing you find the whole premise is bullshit. Some of the 600,000 doesn't have any permission at all, others are tied up in objections or have permission pending other conditions that haven't been met.
    So we can add this myth to 'Foreigners are buying up London new builds and leaving them empty' also peddled by Labour.....

http://lselondonhousing.org/2017/06/overseas-investors-and-londons-housing-market/#How_many_new_homes_are_sold_to_overseas_buyers
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 8,001
    Sean_F said:

Tim_B said:

The Democrats did their usual 'war on women' campaign. The democrat was male, the GOP candidate female.

Full disclosure - I live in the adjacent district.

That looks like quite a good Republican result.
    Not sure about that... They won by 24 points in 2016 - down to 4/5 points now.
    Trump's record seems a pretty big drag on the Republican ticket so far....
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 937
    nunu said:

If the Queens speech doesn't announce 2 million new homes, then tories are not serious about keeping Corbyn out of power.

Easy but these days you have to look every promise in the teeth. 2m houses over next 20 years is not much use. Spending promises used to be always per year - think these extended promises came the norm under New Labour
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    RobD said:

Pong said:

It's pretty difficult separating out the fake news from the real. The fear - the could-happen, from the actual, the likely-to-happen.
    In reality, everyone who matters is aware of the political sensitivity of grenfell and will be falling over themselves to ensure the sharp edges of the system get blunted and conscious that they really don't want to be portrayed as callous.
    I'd hope.
    There's no shortage of real journalists sniffing around every angle of the grenfell catastrophe picking out the nuggets of truth from the gossip.

I thought it should be pretty easy to separate fake news from real news. One reports the truth, the other is made up nonsense. Reporting the "could happen" as news is totally irresponsible.
    Do you read the Mail, Rob? Or the Telegraph? Or the Express? :)
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 8,001

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Fine until reality intrudes on your pipe dreams and leaves you and your compatriots in an even worse position. Real, rather than relative, poverty is almost (but not entirely) non existent in Britain. Things can and will get far, far worse under someone like Corbyn. When the country is like Greece and can no longer afford to pay for medicines then it is people like you who will be responsible.

Care to bet on these predictions of doom under Corbyn?
    Say £20 (or $ if you prefer) to a charity of my/your choice?
    I can't see how you can bet on such things. How do we judge just how bad is disastrous? If you want to bet on the UK going into recession if Corbyn becomes PM then I am fine with that. If you want to bet on us losing ratings with the agencies then that as well.
    FPT - okay how about this. If Corbyn wins a majority and is in government for a minimum of two years and the economy is not already in recession before he takes over:

Then if there is a recession whilst he is PM I will pay £20 to a charity of your choice.
    If there is no recession - you can give £20 to UNICEF?

If any of the initial clauses don't hold then bet is void.

Happy? Is that clear or does it need some modification?

I prefer recession to ratings agency... Feels more objective.
    Yep that seems a reasonable bet to me. Actually I am happy with UNICEF as well. That way whoever loses they win. I always forget, which of the Peter's do we use as the Guardian of the Bet?
    Great! Good luck!
    Not sure about which Peter....
    Me, if you like.
    That'd be great. Thanks.
    To be clear - I'm assuming Richard has responded to the single offer in this thread - not the second one I made later of two bets....
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,235

So we can add this myth to 'Foreigners are buying up London new builds and leaving them empty' also peddled by Labour.....

http://lselondonhousing.org/2017/06/overseas-investors-and-londons-housing-market/#How_many_new_homes_are_sold_to_overseas_buyers

Yup. Like I say when you the government creates a problem on behalf of the voters, the voters will latch on to any far-fetched explanation to avoid admitting that it's the policy they support that's causing the problem. This thread has at least three different types of market participants set up as villains, and about 10 different suggestions of different ways to punish the alleged hoarders and profiteers.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,116

Yup. Like I say when you the government creates a problem on behalf of the voters, the voters will latch on to any far-fetched explanation to avoid admitting that it's the policy they support that's causing the problem. This thread has at least three different types of market participants set up as villains, and about 10 different suggestions of different ways to punish the alleged hoarders and profiteers.
    Yes 'restricted supply has driven up prices' is not an argument you're likely to hear from London home-owning commentators.....
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    nunu said:

timmo said:

nunu said:

A lot of posters in Ladbroke Grove saying the death toll is actually 150 not 79 as reported by the MSM.

The authorities need to provide honest numbers soon.

Are they only honest when provided by those not in authority then?
    There is a lot of distrust of the authorities right now. Nobody belives the 79 figure.

I'll just say that for now.
    The authorities are saying 79 confirmed but likely to rise. They have to be methodical in their count rather than guessing
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,457

The Guardian gets it.

To quote:

Not true. You clearly misread the article.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    :)
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    calum said:

:)

thumbs up
    :(
This discussion has been closed.