Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour holding up better in London where there are fewer UKIP

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

One of the pro-independence campaign groups was though
    Which presumably explains the reference to "Scottish Nationalists" rather than the SNP. I don't know if that is fortuitous or Mrs May choosing her words very carefully.

Edit: I see it's actually Scottish nationalists (lower case). That may be significant.
    But 'the' Scottish nationalists can only mean the SNP in most people's minds.
    Maybe. But if anyone says to Mrs May, "Are you saying the SNP was fined by the Electoral Commission" she has an instant answer. And people are as likely to remember the question as the answer.

Is it attractive politics? Probably not. But it's quite clever.
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574

Scott_P said:

Guido Fawkes✔@GuidoFawkes

BREAKING: Electoral Commission Say £250,000 Green-LibDem Bung is Matter For Police https://order-order.com/2017/05/10/electoral-commission-say-green-libdem-bung-is-matter-for-police/

Can the Electoral Commission refer this directly to the police, or a member of the public?
    The Lib Dems don't have £250 to give away, let alone £250K.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Pulpstar said:

Matt Singh:

When local council areas are mapped against Westminster constituencies, the Scottish Conservatives won the most “first preference” votes — in Scottish local elections, voters number their candidates in preference order and can vote for as many as they want — in as many as 18 of Scotland’s 59 Westminster constituencies.

The same analysis for the Scottish National party puts them ahead in 33 constituencies but senior MPs, including Alex Salmond and Angus Robertson, the SNP’s deputy leader, would need to outperform their local government colleagues to hold on to their seats on June 8.

Mapping local council results on Westminster constituencies also shows the gradual shift of the SNP from its “tartan Tory” territory of Perthshire and the north-east into traditionally Labour-dominated areas in Scotland’s central belt and south-west.

https://www.ft.com/content/e86a4bae-34db-11e7-bce4-9023f8c0fd2e

I said sell the SNP at 43 this morning.
    You're on the wrong side of the implied volatility here in my opinion.
    If you want to avoid the volatility. 365's simple Over/Under line is way above 43 at 48.5. and if you want the chance of a big payout the 40 or under quote is 8/1.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,991
    Alistair said:

Now here is a first for PB.

I do not believe in fox hunting and I do not support Theresa on this policy

When a fox comes into your garden and kills 50 chickens and only takes one, the only thing it deservers is a bullet. The anti hunt people have it all wrong. Its the foxes that kill for pleasure.
    I believe in shooting foxes, I believe hoese back hunting foxes with hounds is a twat activity for twats.
    "a twat activity for twats."
    I tend to agree.
    Quite a few things which match that description are not illegal, though.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Brom said:

theakes said:

Forecast: no Lib Dem gains in London, perhaps one only in Scotland. Have bet on Lib Dems getting 3-6 seats only. Reckon overall result, Cons 346, Labour 235, Lib Dem 5, Green 0, UKIP 0, SNP / PC 46, Others 18

Net gain for Lab seems optomistic!
    optimistic/impossible. Unless of course the polls are wrong and its actually a 7 point Tory lead rather than a 17 point one
    No Green seats seems to understate Lucas's record. Also Bristol West is possibly easier this time than 2015.

Does anyone think Hampstead's odds have gone too short on the Tories and too long (5) on Labour given the unusual nature of the seat, i.e. a rich metropolitan elite plus a little corner of Ireland?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,021
    Have we covered this - http://www.panelbase.com/media/polls/W10407w3tablesforpublication090517.pdf

Con 48 (+1)
    Lab 31 (+1)
    LD 8 (-2)
    UKIP 5 (nc)
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Alistair said:

Now here is a first for PB.

I do not believe in fox hunting and I do not support Theresa on this policy

When a fox comes into your garden and kills 50 chickens and only takes one, the only thing it deservers is a bullet. The anti hunt people have it all wrong. Its the foxes that kill for pleasure.
    I believe in shooting foxes, I believe hoese back hunting foxes with hounds is a twat activity for twats.
    But you think that because you are a complete and utter twat.

Moral debate at this level is nice and easy, isn't it?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Pulpstar said:

The professional modellers need to do some massive readjustments after we know how many seats UKIP are and are not standing in.

nunu said:
    99% Confidence Interval

UK Independence Party

5.3–11.0%
    yeah the rsnges are useless.
  • Options
    And what have the naughty LDs been up to? Trying to bribe the Greens not to stand? :p
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    Result ! Betfair have waived my PC incurred as a result of Macron's win. Worth £300 :)
    (A first week offer)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,669
    From an actual Labour MP (well technically not an MP now, but a candidate)

https://twitter.com/SarahChampionMP/status/862316931835195392
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited May 2017
    Good article by Mr Hanretty, he was on a Pedley podcast IIRC, he spoke a lot of sense then.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Ishmael_Z said:

GeoffM said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I also agree that Blair used fox hunting to entertain his somewhat brainless back benchers to an astonishing extent when he should have been pursuing a reform agenda. The fact that they were content to waste months of Parliamentary time on such a matter was perhaps indicative of the kinds of problems they have now.

No, not really. If it had breen up to us we'd have zipped it through in no time. The time spent was almost ENTIRELY due to the filibustering in the Commons by opponents and Lords blocking it despite it being an election pledge, plus Tony's obvious reluctance to push it. We weren't content with that at all, but also not willing to just give up.

Note the dual argument provided by hunt supporters: (a) the ban is not having an effect at all and hunting is stronger than ever and (b) the ban mnust be removed as soon as possible as it's having a seriuos effect on our sport. Can't both be true. If it's not effective anyway, why bother? And if it's effective and hunting used to be an important form of fox control, as claimed on the last thread, then why isn't the countryside sufddenly overrun by foxes?

And; (a) it was a terrible waste of time to ban hunting as most people don't care and (b) it's an important use of time to repeal the ban.
    Oh come on Nick. It gave you endless chances to emote about the people you love to hate. And as I have made clear in this thread I actually agree with you on the ban.
    It gave you endless chances to emote about the people you were paid to hate."

Nick, are you still paid on this subject or has that stopped now?

{edit for clarity]
    You only have to look at Mr Palmer's Commons voting record on inquiries into the Iraq war to judge his views on establishing the truth about things, and the proper use of parliamentary time.

And you can bet your bottom dollar that if Corbyn announced tomorrow morning that he had had a radical change of heart and would be hunting with the Beaufort next season, by lunch time Nick would have bought a string of horses and booked a course of riding lessons.
    Undeniably true.
    It would take a skilled contortionist to eat ones feet whilst in the saddle, but I am sure Nick would manage it with ease.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Pong said:

That's pretty serious, if true.

TM in hot water.
    From what I can tell, that was either a mistake - or an outright lie - from the prime minister.
    Has been explained downthread. Pro-independence groups were fined.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,360

Which presumably explains the reference to "Scottish Nationalists" rather than the SNP. I don't know if that is fortuitous or Mrs May choosing her words very carefully.

Edit: I see it's actually Scottish nationalists (lower case). That may be significant.
    Which party are the Scottish Nationalists (upper case)?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Tim Farron now abolishing married couples tax alowance to pay for more education. Can the messages get any more mixed?

What's mixed about that? You can disagree with it, but as a single person without kids, I see no contradiction in being perfectly happy to chip in for the education of other people's kids, but not seeing why the hell I should be called upon to subsidise married couples' holidays.
  • Options

The only iceberg in the offing drifted serenely past at 11am...
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Ishmael_Z said:

Tim Farron now abolishing married couples tax alowance to pay for more education. Can the messages get any more mixed?

How about Gay marriages and CVs ? :)
  • Options

Wiki describes the SNP as "a Scottish nationalist[14][15] and social-democratic[16][17][18] political party in Scotland." :p
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

Roger said:

It would be interesting to know why two of Europe's major capitol cities reject the fascist option so decisively when both country's small towns embrace it so readily.

In cities, people live and work among different types of people, and know them as human beings. In backwaters, people live in monocultural areas and fear outsiders. Hence why opposition to immigration is often higher in areas where there are no immigrants.
    Those of us who live in caves outside the M25 are just naturally suspicious of people who don't daub themselves with woad.
    +1
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited May 2017
    PaulM said:

Pulpstar said:

Matt Singh:

When local council areas are mapped against Westminster constituencies, the Scottish Conservatives won the most “first preference” votes — in Scottish local elections, voters number their candidates in preference order and can vote for as many as they want — in as many as 18 of Scotland’s 59 Westminster constituencies.

The same analysis for the Scottish National party puts them ahead in 33 constituencies but senior MPs, including Alex Salmond and Angus Robertson, the SNP’s deputy leader, would need to outperform their local government colleagues to hold on to their seats on June 8.

Mapping local council results on Westminster constituencies also shows the gradual shift of the SNP from its “tartan Tory” territory of Perthshire and the north-east into traditionally Labour-dominated areas in Scotland’s central belt and south-west.

I'm feeling bullish at the moment on the spreads. Having a good campaign so far.

I don't see much downside to this bet/the losses are effectively capped at 13-16 seats.
    While what are the gains [realistically] capped at?
    Well everyone is surging in Scotland except the SNP if you listen to the hype.

Tories talking about 15 seats, Labour 8, Lib Dems 5.

Allowing for spin etc you might be looking at 20 gains for the unionist side.

Pushing the SNP down to 36.

I'm effectively betting on tactical unionist voting happening.

I'm also aware since 1992 no one has got rich by overestimating the Tories in Scotland at general elections.
    If tactical unionist voting was happening - and you believe that Labour voters in Scotland would support and vote for a Tory over the SNP, wouldn't there be evidence in the council election STV transfers ? is there evidence of Labour voters ranking the Tories above the SNP from the transfer tallies ?
    Yes.

However there is also evidence of anti Tory tactical voting.

Depends on the geography.
  • Options

Oh, none at all. It just makes it easier to deny that it was a reference to the SNP as opposed to some unnamed campaign group.
  • Options
    walterwwalterw Posts: 71
    edited May 2017
    Ishmael_Z

'Tim Farron now abolishing married couples tax alowance to pay for more education. Can the messages get any more mixed?'

Cost of married couples allowance £700 million.
    Where is the rest of the £7 billion he pledged coming from?

Sounds like tuition fees mark2.

• Options

Is she arguing that the Conservative Party was built from inferior steel, too few lifeboats and had an uncontrollable fire raging in its coal store?

That's a great analogy. A really good fit.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Result ! Betfair have waived my PC incurred as a result of Macron's win. Worth £300 :)
    (A first week offer)

nice one. but what's PC?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,019
    Mr. M, no, she's clearly warning that any party led by an intransigent, complacent captain who refuses to change course will cause permanent damage and that only a minority of the crew will survive.

Ahem.
  • Options

Mr. M, no, she's clearly warning that any party led by an intransigent, complacent captain who refuses to change course will cause permanent damage and that only a minority of the crew will survive.

Ahem.

At least he has promised to go down with the ship :smiley:
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Pulpstar said:

justin124 said:

The five seats Labour is projected to lose in this poll were gains from the Tories/LibDems in 2015 – with the exception of Hampstead & Kilburn which had a new Labour MP following Glenda Jackson’s retirement. An adverse swing of 2% could quite easily be offset by a first term bonus for these new MPs so it is entirely possible that Labour could retain them all – in the same way that Tory MPs elected in marginal seats in 2010 were able to withstand the pro- Labour swing in England in 2015.

Is that correct ?
    It is correct . England saw a swing from Con to Lab of just over 1% in 2015.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,045
    Completely OT. I am officially excited. Today 2000AD announced that Judge Dredd is to be made into a TV series.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/10/judge-dredd-tv-show/
  • Options
    MrsB said:

Scott_P said:

BREAKING: Electoral Commission Say £250,000 Green-LibDem Bung is Matter For Police https://order-order.com/2017/05/10/electoral-commission-say-green-libdem-bung-is-matter-for-police/

Can the Electoral Commission refer this directly to the police, or a member of the public?
    Yes; you spent all of Michael Brown's stolen money years ago.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Pulpstar said:

(A first week offer)

nice one. but what's PC?
    Premium charge.

https://myaccount.betfair.com/activity/premium-charges long term I've only paid 5.4% commission on my gross profit, Betfair need this to be 20% and the difference is taken as a premium charge save for the first £1000 of total implied commission.

Coral seem to have decided I can't get Best Odds Guaranteed on the nags anymore either. Not that I bet too much on the horses anyway.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

(A first week offer)

nice one. but what's PC?
    Premium Charge.

The bastardness of it is explained quite clearly here:
    https://bitedge.com/blog/betfair-premium-charge-explained-by-former-employee/
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Pulpstar said:

Matt Singh:

I'm feeling bullish at the moment on the spreads. Having a good campaign so far.

I don't see much downside to this bet/the losses are effectively capped at 13-16 seats.

I'm also aware since 1992 no one has got rich by overestimating the Tories in Scotland at general elections.
    I agree with you re-SNP struggling to reach 40 seats.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,374

Brom said:

theakes said:

Forecast: no Lib Dem gains in London, perhaps one only in Scotland. Have bet on Lib Dems getting 3-6 seats only. Reckon overall result, Cons 346, Labour 235, Lib Dem 5, Green 0, UKIP 0, SNP / PC 46, Others 18

optimistic/impossible. Unless of course the polls are wrong and its actually a 7 point Tory lead rather than a 17 point one
    No Green seats seems to understate Lucas's record. Also Bristol West is possibly easier this time than 2015.

Does anyone think Hampstead's odds have gone too short on the Tories and too long (5) on Labour given the unusual nature of the seat, i.e. a rich metropolitan elite plus a little corner of Ireland?
    Not sure.

It's a seat I know better than most. Labour won by a squeak last time so you'd think it would be an easy Tory gain, but it's London and heavily Remain. I saw one of Tulip Siddiq's fliers a few days ago and was struck by how much distance she was putting between herself and her Party Leader. The Conservatives have a new candidate and I haven't seen any literature yet. There isn't much LD, Green or UKIP vote to squeeze. UKIP haven't named a candidate yet so may not stand.

I found a nice little article on the odds here: https://richardosley.com/2017/05/06/paddy-panic-bookmaker-begins-cutting-odds-on-labour-to-hold-hampstead-and-kilburn/

The numbers aren't quite right. You can get 4/1 Labour with Skybet (probably to about 50p) but more realistically 7/2 with Hills.

To me, it's a no bet race - too unpredictable and I wouldn't want to bet or lay at those prices. Miss Cyclefree thinks the Tories will do it, I believe. Not sure what Robert S thinks. Probably the same but perhaps not an investment at those odds.

Ask them. I'd be interested myself.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    MrsB said:

Scott_P said:

Evening MrsB – To be a little clearer, I don’t think the Greens or the Lib Dem have done anything wrong in this case. It is however worth mentioning this is the first acknowledgment by Lucas that the offer was made and it is the offer which is the criminal act imo.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    PaulM said:

Pulpstar said:

Matt Singh:

If tactical unionist voting was happening - and you believe that Labour voters in Scotland would support and vote for a Tory over the SNP, wouldn't there be evidence in the council election STV transfers ? is there evidence of Labour voters ranking the Tories above the SNP from the transfer tallies ?
    PB Tories claim there is. I checked the Glasgow transfers. Some Greens got elected in the 9th...11th count having started well behind the Tories.

I am not sure why SLAB voter would transfer to SCON when there is SLD, SGRN or even the SNP.

We are voting for Westminster , not a Referendum.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited May 2017
    RobD said:

Pong said:

Pong said:

TM in hot water.
    From what I can tell, that was either a mistake - or an outright lie - from the prime minister.
    If that's what she meant, she'd have phrased it differently.

Really shitty stuff from the vicars daughter. When her back is against the wall, she lies and smears. Those voting for her should prepare themselves.

CCHQ are right to keep her way from the cameras/journos/public at all costs.

She ain't no Dave.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,465

DavidL said:

I also agree that Blair used fox hunting to entertain his somewhat brainless back benchers to an astonishing extent when he should have been pursuing a reform agenda. The fact that they were content to waste months of Parliamentary time on such a matter was perhaps indicative of the kinds of problems they have now.

No, not really. If it had breen up to us we'd have zipped it through in no time. The time spent was almost ENTIRELY due to the filibustering in the Commons by opponents and Lords blocking it despite it being an election pledge, plus Tony's obvious reluctance to push it. We weren't content with that at all, but also not willing to just give up.

Note the dual argument provided by hunt supporters: (a) the ban is not having an effect at all and hunting is stronger than ever and (b) the ban mnust be removed as soon as possible as it's having a seriuos effect on our sport. Can't both be true. If it's not effective anyway, why bother? And if it's effective and hunting used to be an important form of fox control, as claimed on the last thread, then why isn't the countryside sufddenly overrun by foxes?

And; (a) it was a terrible waste of time to ban hunting as most people don't care and (b) it's an important use of time to repeal the ban.
    It's a matter of freedom Nick but of course a Corbynista only has one permitted view of the world.
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    I will probably get slaughtered by all sides for this, but I support this ruling from the ECJ.

Non-EU parents may have EU residence right, ECJ rules
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39868868

"Non-EU citizens may have the right to residence in the EU if their children are EU citizens, the European Court of Justice (ECJ) has ruled.

It made the judgement in the case of a woman from Venezuela who had a child with a Dutch citizen from whom she has since legally separated.

She was denied social welfare and child benefit payments by Dutch authorities.
    In 2009, she had a child with a Dutch national with whom she lived in Germany until their separation in 2011, when she and the child left the family home and she became responsible for care of her daughter without support from the father.

But because she did not have a right to residence, Dutch authorities rejected the mother's application for welfare payments."

As a secondary point, it also infuriates me when feckless men walk away from their responsibilities - which may be the case in this instance.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited May 2017
    Look at this EX- MP's website, Chris Matheson is still calling himself an MP and his website has been updated to mention GE 2017. A case of Naughty Naughty ! He is not supposed to call himself an MP anymore :

http://www.chrismatheson.co.uk/
  • Options
    Pong said:

RobD said:

Pong said:

Pong said:

TM in hot water.

Really shitty stuff from the vicars daughter. When her back is against the wall, she lies and smears. Those voting for her should prepare themselves.

She really is worse than gordon brown.
    Oh do grow up. It's politics.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

The SNP. HTH.
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    GeoffM said:

Roger said:

Mr. Roger, UKIP aren't fascist.

They're also disintegrating, so I'm not sure it's worth your time worrying about them.

If it looks like a fascist and acts like a fascist........

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/06/16/12/3559398900000578-0-image-a-1_1466076152222.jpg
    There is no uniform.

Proper fascists always get a really smart uniform.
    Failing that, black shorts.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

(A first week offer)

nice one. but what's PC?
    Premium charge.

https://myaccount.betfair.com/activity/premium-charges long term I've only paid 5.4% commission on my gross profit, Betfair need this to be 20% and the difference is taken as a premium charge save for the first £1000 of total implied commission.

Coral seem to have decided I can't get Best Odds Guaranteed on the nags anymore either. Not that I bet too much on the horses anyway.
    thanks. I thought 5% was the maximum they charged. I dont like that aspect of betfair. do you remember the exchange flutter? they charged flat 2% commission but then got taken over by betfair. I complained to the MMC as they were the only 2 exchanges around then but obviously was unsuccessful.
  • Options
    Pong said:

RobD said:

Pong said:

Pong said:

TM in hot water.

CCHQ are right to keep her way from the cameras at all costs.

She ain't no Dave.
    How is that a lie? There is nothing incorrect in describing pro-independence groups as nationalists.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

Matt Singh:

I think SNP will win 48-50 seats.
  • Options
    The main thing that changes with premium charge is that back/lay Betfair/bookie arbs/ricks are ruled out since you're only getting ~ 85% of the long term price at Betfair.

I actually had to take some risk on the Grand National offer at 365 this year :o
  • Options
    surbiton said:

PaulM said:

Pulpstar said:

Matt Singh:

PB Tories claim there is. I checked the Glasgow transfers. Some Greens got elected in the 9th...11th count having started well behind the Tories.

I am not sure why SLAB voter would transfer to SCON when there is SLD, SGRN or even the SNP.

Didn't Salmond say this election was about indyref2?
  • Options

Brom said:

theakes said:

Not sure.

It's a seat I know better than most. Labour won by a squeak last time so you'd think it would be an easy Tory gain, but it's London and heavily Remain. I saw one of Tulip Siddiq's fliers a few days ago and was struck by how much distance she was putting between herself and her Party Leader. The Conservatives have a new candidate and I haven't seen any literature yet. There isn't much LD, Green or UKIP vote to squeeze. UKIP haven't named a candidate yet so may not stand.

I found a nice little article on the odds here: https://richardosley.com/2017/05/06/paddy-panic-bookmaker-begins-cutting-odds-on-labour-to-hold-hampstead-and-kilburn/

The numbers aren't quite right. You can get 4/1 Labour with Skybet (probably to about 50p) but more realistically 7/2 with Hills.

To me, it's a no bet race - too unpredictable and I wouldn't want to bet or lay at those prices. Miss Cyclefree thinks the Tories will do it, I believe. Not sure what Robert S thinks. Probably the same but perhaps not an investment at those odds.

Similar story to Ealing Central and Acton. Heavily Remain, popular but clueless (ie Corbynista) MP.

Greens have stepped down so it'll be a fight.

Luckily a lot of disgusted about to be former Lab voters on the doorstep.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

Matt Singh:

I think SNP will win 48-50 seats.
    I'm on that band at 10-1. If Labour can sneak into East Lothian there too I'll be like a pig in shit :)
  • Options
    Disraeli said:

I will probably get slaughtered by all sides for this, but I support this ruling from the ECJ.

"Non-EU citizens may have the right to residence in the EU if their children are EU citizens, the European Court of Justice (ECJ) has ruled.

It made the judgement in the case of a woman from Venezuela who had a child with a Dutch citizen from whom she has since legally separated.

In 2009, she had a child with a Dutch national with whom she lived in Germany until their separation in 2011, when she and the child left the family home and she became responsible for care of her daughter without support from the father.

But because she did not have a right to residence, Dutch authorities rejected the mother's application for welfare payments."

As a secondary point, it also infuriates me when feckless men walk away from their responsibilities - which may be the case in this instance.

I suppose as News from Abroad that's vaguely interesting to those who care about how things happen elsewhere.

We're (almost) out, thank $DEITY
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Pulpstar said:

(A first week offer)

nice one. but what's PC?
    Premium Charge.

thanks. still don't quite understand the details but i get that they're just fleecing successful people.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    edited May 2017
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

It's a matter of freedom Nick but of course a Corbynista only has one permitted view of the world.
    If it is a matter of freedom , why not bring back otter hunting , bear baiting , cockfighting and other barbaric customs
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,021
    TOPPING said:

Brom said:

theakes said:

Not sure.

Similar story to Ealing Central and Acton. Heavily Remain, popular but clueless (ie Corbynista) MP.

Rupa Huq is not a Corbynista. She was one of the nominators who in fact supported another candidate (Yvette Cooper in her case). Otherwise, as someone who also lives in the constituency I agree with your assessment. Her latest missive is almost solely aimed at potential Lab-LD switchers, which suggests to me the canvassing returns are showing that this is her main problem
  • Options

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

If it is a matter of freedom , why not bring back otter hunting , bear baiting , cockfighting and other barbaric customs
    Foxes are pests. Are you out marching against cruelty to rats?
  • Options

GeoffM said:

Pulpstar said:

(A first week offer)

nice one. but what's PC?
    Premium Charge.

thanks. still don't quite understand the details but i get that they're just fleecing successful people.
    It's actually aimed at 'bots' (robots) which cream off a small but regular profit on each event. It hauls in a few human punters too though.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

Look at this EX- MP's website, Chris Matheson is still calling himself an MP and his website has been updated to mention GE 2017. A case of Naughty Naughty ! He is not supposed to call himself an MP anymore :

http://www.chrismatheson.co.uk/

He can call himself what he wants. On June 9th, I'm calling him "unemployed".
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Re May's nationalists comment, clearly very carefully considered phrasing.
    Pretty grotesque but it's politics and as Nicola is happy to say the Tories are 'at it' it's probably fair enough tit for tat.
    Politicians are gits, and always will be. Even Caroline is getting offered bungs!
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,021
    edited May 2017
    Just to add a bit more about ECA. St. Vince has, of course, given Rupa Huq his blessing and to be fair the LD candidate is an uninspiring re-tread who was prosecuted last year for failing to pay his council tax. That along with today's polling has made me reassess her chances from 0% to around 15%. Still looks like a clear Tory gain, though.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

Pulpstar said:

(A first week offer)

nice one. but what's PC?
    Premium Charge.

It's actually aimed at 'bots' (robots) which cream off a small but regular profit on each event. It hauls in a few human punters too though.
    I would have thought betfair profit from such activity, since all the bots are doing is taking other punters' money?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,744
    GeoffM said:

Disraeli said:

I suppose as News from Abroad that's vaguely interesting to those who care about how things happen elsewhere.

We're (almost) out, thank $DEITY
    It's rulings like those that explain why we voted to Leave.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    RobD said:

Pong said:

RobD said:

Pong said:

Pong said:

TM in hot water.

CCHQ are right to keep her way from the cameras at all costs.

She ain't no Dave.
    How is that a lie? There is nothing incorrect in describing pro-independence groups as nationalists.
    The SNP jump very hard on anyone who misrepresents the "N" as standing for "Nationalist"; now all of a sudden they are asserting (or others are asserting for them) sole and exclusive rights to the name when there's offence to be taken (or simulated).

There are no doubt effective attack lines against May, but no one has hit in them yet. "Lies and smears" - not true; "vicar's daughter" - childish beyond belief; "kept away from the cameras" - definitely true, immediately obvious whenever you look at a photograph of her - errrr...
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

Completely OT. I am officially excited. Today 2000AD announced that Judge Dredd is to be made into a TV series.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/10/judge-dredd-tv-show/

Has got to be better than that awful Stalone film. The more recent one was much better.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

If foxes were pests why did fox hunters increase their numbers in Norfolk just so they could hunt them ?
  • Options
    RobD said:

GeoffM said:

Pulpstar said:

(A first week offer)

nice one. but what's PC?
    Premium Charge.

I would have thought betfair profit from such activity, since all the bots are doing is taking other punters' money?
    If it becomes overrun with bots, other punters will stop going there. That's a long term threat, and to some extent it has already happened.

If you look at the horse racing markets early in the money, about 80% of the money sitting them is attributable to bots. Real punters come in much later, and then only if they can't get a decent price with the bookies.

I place most of my AW bets before 9am. I scarcely look at Betfair at that time.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    surbiton said:

PaulM said:

Pulpstar said:

Matt Singh:

West of Scotland sees anti Tory transfers, elsewhere saw anti SNP transfers.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

The foxes have moved to towns in many areas. Expect more problems of foxes getting into houses and attacking the residsnts
  • Options

RobD said:

GeoffM said:

Pulpstar said:

(A first week offer)

nice one. but what's PC?
    Premium Charge.

If it becomes overrun with bots, other punters will stop going there. That's a long term threat, and to some extent it has already happened.

If you look at the horse racing markets early in the money, about 80% of the money sitting them is attributable to bots. Real punters come in much later, and then only if they can't get a decent price with the bookies.

I place most of my AW bets before 9am. I scarcely look at Betfair at that time.
    Ah, that's a good point. Thanks!
  • Options
    New thread!
  • Options
    Pong said:

RobD said:

Pong said:

Pong said:

TM in hot water.

She ain't no Dave.
    Fascinated to learn that upper & lower cases case can be indicated in speech, independence groups are the 'Scottish nationalists' while the Scottish National Party are Scottish Nationalists and that they (54 mps) are not a major party while the LDs (9 mps) are.

Every day a school day.
  • Options
    Prodicus said:

GeoffM said:

Roger said:

Mr. Roger, UKIP aren't fascist.

They're also disintegrating, so I'm not sure it's worth your time worrying about them.

If it looks like a fascist and acts like a fascist........

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/06/16/12/3559398900000578-0-image-a-1_1466076152222.jpg
    There is no uniform.

Proper fascists always get a really smart uniform.
    Failing that, black shorts.
    No, those aren't fascists, they are football referees.

Ah. Oh. Right. Carry on.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,019
    Mr. Divvie, that works the other way, too. The SNP can't insist May was saying 'nationalist' with a capital N.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Brom said:

theakes said:

Not sure.

Rupa Huq is not a Corbynista. She was one of the nominators who in fact supported another candidate (Yvette Cooper in her case). Otherwise, as someone who also lives in the constituency I agree with your assessment. Her latest missive is almost solely aimed at potential Lab-LD switchers, which suggests to me the canvassing returns are showing that this is her main problem
    When I met her (not in a pub) she said she wanted Jezza for leader.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    surbiton said:

PaulM said:

Pulpstar said:

Matt Singh:

Where do you think most of the tory surge has come from? Direct SLab to SCon switchers.
  • Options

Pong said:

RobD said:

Pong said:

Pong said:

TM in hot water.

She ain't no Dave.
    Fascinated to learn that upper & lower cases case can be indicated in speech, independence groups are the 'Scottish nationalists' while the Scottish National Party are Scottish Nationalists and that they (54 mps) are not a major party while the LDs (9 mps) are.

Every day a school day.
    If she meant SNP, she would have probably said SNP.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,669

NEW THREAD

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,183
    Cyclefree said:

I have been canvassed by the Tories in Hampstead. They are being very active here. Though Labour have had stalks outside the Finchley Road Waitrose and in West Hampstead in recent days.

I feel sorry for the Labour canvassers. They're doing the political equivalent of asking for a pity fuck.

Still Ms Siddique was one of the nitwits who nominated Corbyn, took a job from him then resigned and voted for Owen Whatsit, none of which gets mentioned on her leaflets. She's not a bad MP - even if she isn't as good as she seems to think she is. But the disconnect between her campaigns eg helping the Iranian woman married to a local man who has been imprisoned for no very clear reasons by the Iranian regime and her support for an MP who, even when she nominated him, had a history of being paid by that regime's propaganda arm, Press TV, shows how little some MPs know about those they support or, more likely, how little they care about the values they claim to believe in.

My wife knows the Conservative candidate well and would never vote for her. I trust my wife's judgement completely. She is therefore one of three Conservative candidates I simply could not vote for.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

If foxes were pests why did fox hunters increase their numbers in Norfolk just so they could hunt them ?
    What does it matter? They are pests - you could go out and shoot one tomorrow morning. How people decide to kill them is absolutely irrelevant. You may think they are twats, and fair enough because they I'm sure would all think that you were a twat, but that's irrelevant.
  • Options

Just to add a bit more about ECA. St. Vince has, of course, given Rupa Huq his blessing and to be fair the LD candidate is an uninspiring re-tread who was prosecuted last year for failing to pay his council tax. That along with today's polling has made me reassess her chances from 0% to around 15%. Still looks like a clear Tory gain, though.

One would hope so. Greens = UKIP in 2015 so all to play for!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pong said:

RobD said:

Pong said:

Pong said:

TM in hot water.

She ain't no Dave.

Every day a school day.
    If she meant SNP, she would have probably said SNP.
    Yeah, probably.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

I have been canvassed by the Tories in Hampstead. They are being very active here. Though Labour have had stalks outside the Finchley Road Waitrose and in West Hampstead in recent days.

I feel sorry for the Labour canvassers. They're doing the political equivalent of asking for a pity fuck.

Still Ms Siddique was one of the nitwits who nominated Corbyn, took a job from him then resigned and voted for Owen Whatsit, none of which gets mentioned on her leaflets. She's not a bad MP - even if she isn't as good as she seems to think she is. But the disconnect between her campaigns eg helping the Iranian woman married to a local man who has been imprisoned for no very clear reasons by the Iranian regime and her support for an MP who, even when she nominated him, had a history of being paid by that regime's propaganda arm, Press TV, shows how little some MPs know about those they support or, more likely, how little they care about the values they claim to believe in.

My wife knows the Conservative candidate well and would never vote for her. I trust my wife's judgement completely. She is therefore one of three Conservative candidates I simply could not vote for.
    Looks like you're going to be voting Green then Robert!

The horror, the horror.....
This discussion has been closed.