Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

SystemSystem Posts: 12,008
edited July 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

Read the full story here

Comments

• JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Ho hum
  • Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    "Boris Johnson will not stand for parliament at the next election"

Golly! indeed. ;^ )

I was only just saying how unlikely that was. Looks like Boris will have to always wonder what could have been.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    SeanT said:

The recession is obviously over in London, and has probably been over for some time.

I blame Osborne...
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited July 2013
    Putting a racial slant on "pay peanuts, get monkeys" when the "monkeys" are white, risks undermining any serious attempt at improving racial harmony.. Why do PC lefties try to change the meaning of words?

(Item 12)
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Thread Leader :

19. "F**k off, you c**t!” “Your mum sucks c**k!" - A morning in the life of a teacher

Eton standards improving I see !!

• AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited July 2013
    Is there an ex-UKIP councillor on PB tonight?

I appear to have a twenty quid note missing.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,111
    I'm not sure why Pete Waterman is a 'surprise' member of the HS2 task force. He has not been backward in expressing his love of railways, and his engineering empire is based at Crewe, on the route, so he knows the area well.

He also has good stuff to say about apprenticeships.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12285810

Someone whose views on the topic I will always listen to. Passionate and knowledgeable.
  • NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    @isam

I'm just shocked the BNP still has spokespeople! Bless them.
  • NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    @tim

He's setting himself up as a consultant on how to fiddle 10,000 workers out of their rights or get your money back.
    It is now all too clear what Dan Hodges and Toby Young are working on as a play.
    Toby Young has bet £15,000 that Boris Johnson will be Tory leader by 2018

Eight years ago Toby Young agreed to a £15,000 bet with Nigella Lawson (yep, you read that correctly - £15,000). He wagered that Boris Johnson will be Tory leader by 2018. He writes about this bet and his reasons for his continuing belief in Boris in this week's Spectator. Here are two key extracts of a piece that isn't yet online:

http://conservativehome.blogs.com/thetorydiary/2011/09/toby-young-toadmeister-has-bet-15000-that-boris-johnson-will-be-tory-leader-by-2018.html

An epic tale of how two plucky idiot pundits shocked the world and made a fortune on political betting. Mr Smithson can only look on in awestruck wonder. ;)
  • PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    isam said:

Putting a racial slant on "pay peanuts, get monkeys" when the "monkeys" are white, risks undermining any serious attempt at improving racial harmony.. Why do PC lefties try to change the meaning of words?

(Item 12)

That reminds me of the worst Loony Left outrage about Baa Baa Black Sheep and manhole covers. My days at college in the 80s were full of this nonsense as different groups competed to see who could be more upset about something entirely innocuous.
  • TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Lord Howell: I meant frack the North West, not the North East

Lord Howell has revealed he meant to suggest gas fracking should take place in the North West, not "desolate areas" of the North East, describing his comments as "a stupid error".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/energy/10214773/Lord-Howell-I-meant-frack-the-North-West-not-the-North-East.html

FFS,this man can't be that stupid,can he ?
    tim said:

Neil said:

@isam

Pay peanuts get monkeys is a good old English saying?
    I'd assumed it was American, but I'm sure The BNP know best

I thought it was UNITE's motto.

• CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Lionel RICHIE???

Mind you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5EmnQp3V48
    Is lord howell a labour plant ;-)

He's doing his best to lose tories votes in the north.
    Lol number 19.

You have to stop accepting crap from management before you can stop taking crap from the kids.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,561
    SeanT said:

Ludicrous Local Anecdote Alert:

My local high street (Parkway, Camden) has had about 10-15% of its shopfronts unoccupied since the beginning of the Great Recession.

Today, for the first time since I moved here, every single shopfront is either active, or being obviously revamped, or has a brand new LET sign in front of it.

The recession is obviously over in London, and has probably been over for some time.

Very interesting and certainly tallies with my own experience of the wealthier parts of Berkshire. I think Osborne will be pleased at the way the key political weapons are being handed out at present: he has a blossoming recovery after the greatest recession in living memory; Labour's got his father-in-law.
    edited July 2013
    Lessons will be learned blah blah blah

" Daniel Pelka, a “beautiful and bright-eyed little boy” was reduced to a “broken bag of bones” after months of abuse at the hands of Magdelena Luczak and Mariusz Krezolek.

He was often so hungry that he would steal food from classmates and was spotted by teachers rooting around in bins for any scraps or leftovers.

Jurors wept during the trial as they heard how the pair, who came to Coventry from their native Poland in 2006, subjected Daniel to “unimaginable cruelty”.

At one point his mother held him under bath water until he passed out, sending a text message to Krezolek saying: "I am having some quiet time.

The boy's murder, which occurred weeks after teaching staff saw him with bruising to his neck and black eyes, is now subject of a serious case review by Coventry's Safeguarding Children Board. " http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10214435/Daniel-Pelka-pair-convicted-of-starving-and-murdering-helpless-four-year-old.html
    Owen Jones @OwenJones84

OK, fellow North West Englanders. Lord Howell has instead declared war on us http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/energy/10214773/Lord-Howell-I-meant-frack-the-North-West-not-the-North-East.html … Shall we politely tell him to frack off?

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,123
    Carola said:

Lol number 19.

You have to stop accepting crap from management before you can stop taking crap from the kids.

I included number 19, just for you.

• carlcarl Posts: 750
    Plato said:
    What do you mean by "Lessons will be learned blah blah blah"?

• MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Mick_Pork said:

It is now all too clear what Dan Hodges and Toby Young are working on as a play.

Eight years ago Toby Young agreed to a £15,000 bet with Nigella Lawson (yep, you read that correctly - £15,000). He wagered that Boris Johnson will be Tory leader by 2018. He writes about this bet and his reasons for his continuing belief in Boris in this week's Spectator. Here are two key extracts of a piece that isn't yet online:

http://conservativehome.blogs.com/thetorydiary/2011/09/toby-young-toadmeister-has-bet-15000-that-boris-johnson-will-be-tory-leader-by-2018.html

An epic tale of how two plucky idiot pundits shocked the world and made a fortune on political betting. Mr Smithson can only look on in awestruck wonder. ;)

More pictures emerge of SNP councillors masquerading as Labour activists :

http://labourlist.org/2013/07/are-snp-councillors-masquerading-as-labour-for-independence-members/

Comical and sinister.
  • Harringey Council changing the bin bags to they dished out to residents to grey ones instead of black.
    Plato said:

isam said:

(Item 12)

That reminds me of the worst Loony Left outrage about Baa Baa Black Sheep and manhole covers. My days at college in the 80s were full of this nonsense as different groups competed to see who could be more upset about something entirely innocuous.
    And to lighten the mood - this is marvellously stupid.

"... The applicant claimed that her human rights had been violated by the Canadian fast food restaurant A&W because the names of its burgers gave unwarranted respect to males and disrespected people who were female in general and lesbian in particular. Ms Ironbox alleged discrimination with respect to goods, services and facilities because of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, family status and marital status contrary to the state’s Human Rights Code.

The claim says “On May 31, 2013, I attended the Cornwall Square Mall and ordered a hamburger meal from the A&W in the foodcourt…I noticed that the hamburger meals were given names of various family members (eg, “Mama Burger”, “Teen Burger”…). The sizes of the hamburgers increased with maleness and seniority in the heteronormative family (ie, Papa Burger bigger than Mama or Teen burger…).”

The claim, which seeks $50,000 compensation for “loss of dignity and self-respect”, states that “the whole heteronormative, phallocentric marketing scheme of A&W is highly degrading to non-traditional families”. The applicant also sought a court order that A&W should be required “to develop and implement a modern burger family which is more inclusive…” It asserts that as “science has shown that up to five adults can take part in the procreation process” therefore “the notions of motherhood, and more importantly, fatherhood, should be completely abolished”. http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/law/weirdcases/article3829447.ece
    Speaking of comical buffoons..
    Silvio Berlusconi awaits final tax fraud appeal verdict

Italy's former president Silvio Berlusconi is due to learn if his final appeal against a conviction for tax fraud has been successful.

Mr Berlusconi was originally found guilty in October 2012 and received a jail sentence and a five year ban on holding public office. The verdict was upheld at a subsequent appeal.

The case is being watched closely across the country, amid fears that the result could destabilise the coalition government

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23513073
    :)
    What's Ed Miliband's policy on shale gas does anyone know? I've googled. Found some references to Labour wind...

http://www.leftfootforward.org/2012/11/one-planet-labour/

...but nothing else.

• Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Mick_Pork said:

Never you mind, Pork, the only political drama weighing on the minds of the Parliamentary Labour Party over the coming weeks will be the Crapness of King Ed.

Harringey Council changing the bin bags to they dished out to residents to grey ones instead of black.

Plato said:

isam said:

(Item 12)

Too true. Also, the renaming of "Christmas" as "Wintervallah" for fear of offending illegally gay Muslim immigrant cats.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,462
    Good evening, everyone.

Interestingly, it seems Hulkenberg's been having talks with Lotus (link is to a video-story):
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23476075

If Raikkonen leaves Hulkenberg would be a good replacement, but he may also go there if Grosjean can't maintain good form.

I said earlier that if I were Red Bull I'd pick him for Webber's seat. This seems unlikely, but he could also be a contender for Massa's.

Di Resta's recent bad qualifying and his first response of blaming the team probably isn't endearing him to either his present or prospective teams.
    Cameron @CameronBrownUK
    Pleased to learn that Labour have lost control of Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council after a number of defections!

Apparently they've gone Indy instead.
    Ishmael_X said:

Mick_Pork said:

Never you mind, Pork, the only political drama weighing on the minds of the Parliamentary Labour Party over the coming weeks will be the Crapness of King Ed.

Nope. They have other concerns that might just start the Blairites off yet again.
    Falkirk vote-rigging inquiry could hang over Labour for months

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/political-news/falkirk-vote-rigging-inquiry-could-hang-over-labour-for-months.21710607
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,118

Mick_Pork said:

http://labourlist.org/2013/07/are-snp-councillors-masquerading-as-labour-for-independence-members/

Comical and sinister.

I sincerely hope that Labour take this up properly. I would have thought an interdict against the SNP from further impersonation would be a good start.

The SNP are simply the most dishonest party in the UK. You cannot trust anything they do or say. They have got away with this nonsense for far too long and need to be utterly discredited before next year.
  • My Grandfather was living in Bounds Green at the time.
    The bin bags did change to grey, then stopped altogether as the binmen used to flog them down Wood Green market instead.
    tim said:

Harringey Council changing the bin bags to they dished out to residents to grey ones instead of black.

Plato said:

isam said:

(Item 12)

Like Baa Baa black sheep stories, an urban myth.
    I hope this is resolved soon - when sane people who want to die can't because of their disability, its wrong.

"The Director of Public Prosecutions may be forced to review his guidelines on when people can be helped to die after a landmark Court of Appeal ruling today. Three senior judges rejected right-to-die appeals by the family of late locked-in syndrome sufferer Tony Nicklinson and paralysed road accident victim Paul Lamb.

But in another case, brought by a locked-in syndrome sufferer known only as “Martin”, a majority of the judges ruled that the DPP guidelines on assisted suicide were in breach of human rights laws. Martin wanted guidance as to whether a doctor or health professional could help him to die without risk of prosecution.

At present the guidelines only apply to such help given by close family and friends and Martin’s wife does not wish to be involved in helping him end his life. Richard Stein, of Leigh Day, who represented Martin, said: “This is a hugely significant moment in allowing people control. “They will be able to seek help from people with no personal connection to them but acting in good faith - most likely to be carers or health professionals - to be able to die with dignity in a manner and at a time of their choosing.” http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/article3830273.ece
  • TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited July 2013
    From that Hopi Sen article (TSE above) where he crunches the numbers since 1945 and concludes

"Well, obviously it’s not great news that no successful opposition has won from having a share of vote in the high thirties/low forties at this stage in the cycle."

Hopi Sen is on the Strategy Board of Progress. Any of our Labour posters on here have better credentials?
    DavidL said:

Mick_Pork said:

Comical and sinister.
    The SNP are simply the most dishonest party in the UK. You cannot trust anything they do or say. They have got away with this nonsense for far too long and need to be utterly discredited before next year.

Crikey! Well that must be true if you say so.

*tears of laughter etc*

Unspoofable.
    ****** Breaking News ***** Breaking News *****

Labour come out against fracking in the north-west of England:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-12293488

From that Hopi Sen article (TSE above) where he crunches the numbers since 1945 and concludes

"Well, obviously it’s not great news that no successful opposition has won from having a share of vote in the high thirties/low forties at this stage in the cycle."

Hopi Sen is on the Strategy Board of Progress. Any of our Labour posters on here have better credentials?

I think Hopi gets the black spot [is that racist as well??] for being part of Progress. Spit evil Blairite spit.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,674
    Hopi Sen doesn't rate Labour's chances very highly.

Bastard!
  • TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited July 2013
    Plato that article on the murdered boy is simply too awful to read. I do struggle to understand why the teachers/social workers failed to effectively intervene but the murderers should be locked away for ever in a dark hole.

We probably have too large an underclass for the state to cope with.
    tim said:

carl said:

Plato said:

isam said:

(Item 12)

Too true. Also, the renaming of "Christmas" as "Wintervallah" for fear of offending illegally gay Muslim immigrant cats.
    I thought they banned Christmas?
    Christmas was only banned for honest, hardworking Tories. For the PC Brigade, it remains an orgy of fun.

Personally, I like to celebrate The Mid Winter Festival by dancing around singing "Bah Bah Sheep of unspecified ethnicity, have you any wool" whilst banging my PersonHole cover with a stick.

Carola said:

Lol number 19.

I included number 19, just for you.

Well thank ya. I remember an angel-faced year 7 (aged 11-ish) telling me a joke once. 'Miss, what's the smelliest thing in the world?' Me, smiling and playing along, 'I don't know x, what IS the smelliest thing in the world?' I'd love to have a photo of my face when he told me the answer. It would have been one for the album.

I saw on the front of the Indy that schools doing multiple entries to hit the magic C is news. Not to teachers it ain't. (Again, academies are the worst for this from other stuff I've read).
    tim said:

Plato said:

isam said:

(Item 12)

Nowhere near as devastating as little Ed's "blackbusters" which the PB brain trust found so incredible and newsworthy. ;^ )

Mick_Pork said:

DavidL said:

Mick_Pork said:

Comical and sinister.

*tears of laughter etc*

Unspoofable.

So do you have any explanation for this persistent dishonesty? You want these liars to be in charge of the country? Really?

• MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    DavidL said:

Mick_Pork said:

Comical and sinister.
    I sincerely hope that Labour take this up properly. I would have thought an interdict against the SNP from further impersonation would be a good start.

The terrifying thing is that nobody in the SNP , from Salmond and upwards , has condemned these outrages.

Plato that article on the murdered boy is simply too awful to read. I do struggle to understand why the teachers/social workers failed to effectively intervene but the murderers should be locked away for ever in a dark hole.

The poor mite was about a stone and a half when he died - at 4yrs old. He must have been a walking skeleton with black eyes, bruises on his throat and no one intervened? It's just too awful to even imagine what his short life was like.
    edited July 2013
    DavidL said:

Mick_Pork said:

DavidL said:

Mick_Pork said:

Comical and sinister.

*tears of laughter etc*

Unspoofable.
    So do you have any explanation for this persistent dishonesty? You want these liars to be in charge of the country? Really?

Are you drunk?

The SNP ran a successful minority government and then won a landslide in 2011 as an endorsement by the public of their time in power.

That they cause you or other PB tories to foam at the mouth is of no consequence whatsoever. The scottish public certainly don't think they are "simply the most dishonest party in the UK" and there's plenty of real evidence of approval ratings instead of some fairly unhinged assertions and bile. Or if you like we could go into the expenses scandal, the Iraq War and plenty of other political issues to see just who is the most " persistent dishonest" party full of liars.

carl said:

tim said:

carl said:

Plato said:

isam said:

(Item 12)

I thought they banned Christmas?
    Christmas was only banned for honest, hardworking Tories. For the PC Brigade, it remains an orgy of fun.

Personally, I like to celebrate The Mid Winter Festival by dancing around singing "Bah Bah Sheep of unspecified ethnicity, have you any wool" whilst banging my PersonHole cover with a stick.

Urban myths

http://youtu.be/COt65HZCJaA
  • What's an urban myth?
    The bin bags did change from Black to Grey and then stopped altogether.
    He used to live there and I used to visit him.
    You didn't.
    tim said:

My Grandfather was living in Bounds Green at the time.
    The bin bags did change to grey, then stopped altogether as the binmen used to flog them down Wood Green market instead.

tim said:

Plato said:

isam said:

(Item 12)

Urban myth
    MIss Plato, it sounds utterly tragic. I hope his mother and the thug have an immensely unpleasant time in prison, and that they never leave whilst alive.
  • Plato said:

The poor mite was about a stone and a half when he died - at 4yrs old. He must have been a walking skeleton with black eyes, bruises on his throat and no one intervened? It's just too awful to even imagine what his short life was like.
    A little while ago I heard about him begging for scraps....

What's an urban myth?
    You didn't.

tim said:

tim said:

Plato said:

isam said:

(Item 12)

Urban myth
    tim

Don't tell me that the elevation of Doreen Lawrence to sit on the Labour benches in the House of Lords is an urban myth too.

That would be really sick.
    Mr. Pubgoer, I believe they changed blackboards to greenboards (they were very dark green) for a time. That sounds a bit similar.
    Tim and Carl the modern parents from viz?
    edited July 2013
    @Hertmere_Pubgoer

As someone who experienced firsthand the loony left of the GLC's final days under Ken and had Hattie as her local MP - I think I know of what I speak when talking about the mid 80s.
    edited July 2013
    Benedict Brogan @benedictbrogan

Fuel duty to be cut in remote regions. Tonight's @Telegraph front page pic.twitter.com/R2elRMsU3G

https://twitter.com/benedictbrogan/status/362676749319954433/photo/1

• AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    @Avery

We will free Lewisham West for your new NHS girl
    edited July 2013

Comical and sinister.

*tears of laughter etc*

Unspoofable.

Are you drunk?

The SNP ran a successful minority government and then won a landslide in 2011 as an endorsement by the public of their time in power.

That they cause you or other PB tories to foam at the mouth is of no consequence whatsoever. The scottish public certainly don't think they are "simply the most dishonest party in the UK" and there's plenty of real evidence of approval ratings instead of some fairly unhinged assertions and bile. Or if you like we could go into the expenses scandal, the Iraq War and plenty of other political issues to see just who is the most " persistent dishonest" party full of liars.

That would be a no then. No explanation. No justification. Pathetic.

• MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Where Hopi goes wrong is to ignore totally the fact that there is no precedent for the current coalition situation

My view is simple. While so many 2010 LDs stick with Labour there's no way that the Tories can win.

This gives Labour 6-7% on the 30% of last time a total that makes it enormously difficult for the Tories.

The current moves by Crosby simple reinforce the position of the 2010 LDs who've switched.
    Roger said:

Bastard!

@Avery

We will free Lewisham West for your new NHS girl

Thank you, Andrea.

Out with the dowdy!

Also, They Banned black coffee. "Without milk" indeed!

And do PBers remember when Stephen Hawking got put in a wheelchair for discovering the quantum radiation from Black holes?

John Pugh MP @johnpughmp

Vince Cable lowest rating on ConHome survey but Danny A above Cameron . Conclusions ?

Conclusion - lib dems seem to like con home more than conservatives.
  • fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,292

Owen Jones @OwenJones84

OK, fellow North West Englanders. Lord Howell has instead declared war on us http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/energy/10214773/Lord-Howell-I-meant-frack-the-North-West-not-the-North-East.html … Shall we politely tell him to frack off?

Yes please.

• Manhole covers being renamed as access pits was another one.

I remember my dad who was a civil servant at the time telling me how all their training / instruction manuals getting rewritten in the 3rd person to make them gender neutral.
    Plato said:

@Hertmere_Pubgoer

As someone who experienced firsthand the loony left of the GLC's final days under Ken and had Hattie as her local MP - I think I know of what I speak when talking about the mid 80s.

edited July 2013

John Pugh MP @johnpughmp

Vince Cable lowest rating on ConHome survey but Danny A above Cameron . Conclusions ?

I rubbed my eyes when I saw an article from Stephen Tall on ConHome - he's a LD!

http://stephentall.org/2013/07/30/my-column-for-conhome-why-the-lib-dems-have-no-alternative-but-to-fight-the-2015-election-from-the-centre/
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,944
    tim said:

Neil said:

@isam

No, it's a British idiom, tim!

Where Hopi goes wrong is to ignore totally the fact that there is no precedent for the current coalition situation

My view is simple. While so many 2010 LDs stick with Labour there's no way that the Tories can win.

This gives Labour 6-7% on the 30% of last time a total that makes it enormously difficult for the Tories.

The current moves by Crosby simple reinforce the position of the 2010 LDs who've switched.

Roger said:

Bastard!

I think that's entirely right, and mirrors my reading of things exactly.

The only way the Tories can win is if that proportion of 2010 LibDem voters all suddenly lose their inclination to vote anti-Tory. And I just can't see that happening with the current Tory strategy of Right Turn Only.
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,273
    @MikeS - So let's get this one straight - you believe that there will be no further appreciable swing-back to the Tories to 2015 even if the economic recovery intensifies?
  • fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,292
    The SNP have a lot of form when it comes to being dishonest in Government, so no surprise to see this kind of campaign stunt.
    DavidL said:

Mick_Pork said:

Comical and sinister.

edited July 2013
    DavidL said:

Dearie me, your desperation and bile is quite remarkable.

It's been debunked you amusingly excitable chap. TUD did it in the previous thread but you didn't seem to notice in your eccentric fury.
    Wee Euan McCombover's 'scoop' was actually a photo put on Facebook back in December by LFI, where all the participants were named and identified as fellow Yes supporters (not Labourites) by, you guessed it, a Labour Party card carrying supporter of Scottish independence.

http://tinyurl.com/lxpevmn
    Now explain to everyone why it is that in an Ipsos Mori poll from Feb over a quarter of Scottish Labour voters have not decided to reject Scottish independence, and one in eight support it if you seriously believe that there are no labour supporters or activists who back independence?

Or perhaps you can back up your outlandish hyperbole about "simply the most dishonest party in the UK" with something other than a photo or two of SNP and labour activists campaigning for Yes.

You don't think say.... lying about the Iraq War might be just a touch more dishonest?
    Or a massive expenses scandal that saw Cameron, Osborne along with many other leading tories humiliated?

29%, Mike!
    SeanT said:

carl said:

Roger said:

Bastard!

The only way the Tories can win is if that proportion of 2010 LibDem voters all suddenly lose their inclination to vote anti-Tory. And I just can't see that happening with the current Tory strategy of Right Turn Only.
    Who gives a F. Smithson thought Yes would win the AV referendum.

LOFL.
    Haha did he? Bad call!

The overall political dynamic is easier to read than a referendum though, because of the richness of polling.

Labour's "core" vote is now mid 30s, and there are lots of anti-Tory tactical voters at the margins. How on earth do the Blues get a victory out of that, when their vote against Brown was 37% and likely to fall?
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,928
    edited July 2013
    carl said:

Roger said:

Bastard!

Yup, dead right. LibDem probably, Labour maybe, Tory ........ has hell frozen over?
  • AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited July 2013
    Richard Fuller reselected to fight Mike's homepatch.
    http://www.bedfordtoday.co.uk/news/local/richard-fuller-reselected-1-5339717

Tom Watson reselected tonight by West Bromwich East CLP
  • How many bin bags in the 80's did you take out for the bin men in Haringey?
    Me, quite a few.
    tim said:

What's an urban myth?
    You didn't.

tim said:

tim said:

Plato said:

isam said:

(Item 12)

Urban myth
    Black bin liners banned, black coffee banned, baa baa black sheep banned, all urban myths.

People claim all sorts.
    Remember the claim on here that the 1994 world cup was played with enlarged goals, in quarters with a coke advert obscuring the bottom of the screen and in front of empty stadiums?
    The person posting that genuinely believed it.
    Christmas banned?, happens every year.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,655
    OGH - No, if the Tories get to 42/43% even if Labour gets 36% the Tories can still get a majority. Today's comres had the Tories on 34% but almost 20% of 2010 Tories having defected to UKIP. If Cameron wins them all back the Tory total would be around 40%+ very close to a majority, if he gets a few centrist 2010 LDs he would also help matters, whether he really wants a narrow majority dependant on Bone etc rather than continue the Coalition is another matter!
    Nice little anecdote http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/article3830807.ece

The Tory candidate in today’s Ynys Môn by-election for the Welsh Assembly is the Rev Neil Fairlamb, who, 40 years ago, taught Nigel Farage at Dulwich College. “He was one of the great characters of the school,” the UKIP leader says. Fairlamb has a similar memory of the young Farage, who he says pronounced his surname as the rather un-European “Farridge” in those days. “He was cheeky and charming and you could never quite believe him,” Fairlamb recalls. “On his last day I told him he would go far, but I wasn’t sure if it would be in fame or infamy. He replied: ‘As long as I go far, sir.’ ”
    tim said:

tim said:

Neil said:

@isam

No, it's a British idiom, tim!
    Is this wrong?

Peanuts in the sense of ‘a small sum of money’ (esp. when considered as inadequate payment) originated as mid 20th-cent. US slang.
    Shareholders want the best available businessmen to lead the companies and recognise that you get what you pay for. If you pay in peanuts, you must expect to get monkeys.
    [1966 L. Coulthard in Director Aug. 228]
    ‘That's forty thousand we're giving away. Seems an awful lot.’ ‘If you pay peanuts,’ said Ashman, ‘you get monkeys.’
    [1979 P. Alexander Show me Hero iii.]
    The companies' chief negotiator‥was greeted with shouts of ‘if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys’.
    [1979 Guardian 11 Sept. 30]
    ‘How much is‥this photo-enhancement going to cost my client?’ ‘A bundle. ‥But in my experience, if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.’
    [1994 S. Reuben Origin and Cause xvii. 107]
    Related to: employers and employees; money
    "Peanuts" = US slang for money, yes.

But the full idiom "if you pay peanuts you get monkeys" was first used over here.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,655
    AndyJS - Presently being shaded in at Mugabe HQ as we speak!
    This made me giggle

"The worst thing a politician can be, says Armando Iannucci, is tedious. Asked by Uncut magazine if there is a political figure he despises, the satirist goes for Ben Bradshaw, the monochrome Exeter MP. “He is very, very loyalist Labour and all his tweets are dull,” Iannucci says, giving “Congratulations to the people of Exeter for yet another fine display of road-management skills” as a model tweet. Iannucci is being a little harsh. Only yesterday Bradshaw tweeted about double-yellow lines and his washing machine. "
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    What greater accolade could Cable get then to be rated like that by ConHome readers?

Danny Alexander is the one who should worry

John Pugh MP @johnpughmp

Mick_Pork said:

DavidL said:

Dearie me, your desperation and bile is quite remarkable.

It's been debunked you amusingly excitable chap. TUD did it in the previous thread but you didn't seem to notice in your eccentric fury.
    Wee Euan McCombover's 'scoop' was actually a photo put on Facebook back in December by LFI, where all the participants were named and identified as fellow Yes supporters (not Labourites) by, you guessed it, a Labour Party card carrying supporter of Scottish independence.

http://tinyurl.com/lxpevmn
    Now explain to everyone why it is that in an Ipsos Mori poll from Feb over a quarter of Scottish Labour voters have not decided to reject Scottish independence, and one in eight support it if you seriously believe that there are no labour supporters or activists who back independence?

Or perhaps you can back up your outlandish hyperbole about "simply the most dishonest party in the UK" with something other than a photo or two of SNP and labour activists campaigning for Yes.

You don't think say.... lying about the Iraq War might be just a touch more dishonest?
    Or a massive expenses scandal that saw Cameron, Osborne along with many other leading tories humiliated?

Where to start?

This doesn't debunk anything. One Labour supporter was willing to lie. Well he was joining the right party. The other "Labour" photo has 3 elected SNP councillors.

I have never said that some Labour supporters will not vote for independence. Of course they will.

Yes Blair told lies over Iraq. More than a decade ago. So what?

The expenses scandal was an abuse of an inadequate system. With some, largely Labour, exceptions it did not involve dishonesty no matter how immoral it was.

Any other points?
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,530
    Andy_JS said:
    Seems a bit crap given that you can't tell how many polling stations have reported. Is it a final result, or based on 0.1% of all total votes!
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The four most expensive words in the English language:

This Time It's Different.
    fitalass said:

The SNP have a lot of form when it comes to being dishonest in Government, so no surprise to see this kind of campaign stunt.

No doubt Alex will have had legal advice about it though. So that is alright.

• Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,082
    Labour's core vote is probably the 29.67% they polled in 2010. (Alternatively it could be the 28.28% they won in 1983).
    SeanT said:

carl said:

SeanT said:

carl said:

Roger said:

Bastard!

Who gives a F. Smithson thought Yes would win the AV referendum.

LOFL.
    Haha did he? Bad call!

The overall political dynamic is easier to read than a referendum though, because of the richness of polling.

Labour's "core" vote is now mid 30s, and there are lots of anti-Tory tactical voters at the margins. How on earth do the Blues get a victory out of that, when their vote against Brown was 37% and likely to fall?
    Labour's core vote is nothing like 35%. If you believe that you are as dim-witted as Mike "AV is going to win" Smithson.

Remember: LABOUR ARE THE ONLY MAJOR OPPOSITION PARTY in a time of Coalition. This means that, outside the Celtic fringes, anyone who is polled, who wishes to express disgust at the Coalition, HAS to say "Labour" - unless they are on the hard right and are willing to say UKIP.

What we are seeing is the solidity of disdain for the Coalition, not a core vote for Labour. Confuse these at your peril.

It is quite possible that, come the GE, we can knock 5% or more from whatever Labour are polling. Putting them back down around Brown's 30%.

All to play for.
    Brown's 29.0%!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_UK_election
    edited July 2013
    @SeanT

It is quite possible that, come the GE, we can knock 5% or more from whatever Labour are polling. Putting them back down around Brown's 30%.

The 5% being left-leaning, anti-Tory 2010 Lib Dems, yes?

Interesting to see how the the Tories pull that one off, even with the predictable support of most of the print media.

I don't say the Tories can't win (most seats, a majority looks hugely unlikely). I just struggle to see where the votes are for them, given the political dynamics and electoral map.

2010 Lib Dems are the key to the next election.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    BBC News @ 10 saying govt policy to introduce exit checks by 2015 - but Clegg opposes...
    Andy_JS said:

Labour's core vote is probably the 29.67% they polled in 2010. (Alternatively it could be the 28.28% they won in 1983).

I still can't quite get over Labour EU vote in 2009 - 15.3% news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8088133.stm
    Plato said:

Andy_JS said:

I still can't quite get over Labour EU vote in 2009 - 15.3% news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8088133.stm
    The Tories will have to be careful not to fall that low next year, although about 19% is more likely for them I think.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,530
    carl said:

@SeanT

Interesting to see how the the Tories pull that one off, even with the predictable support of most of the print media.

I don't say the Tories can't win (most seats, a majority looks hugely unlikely). I just struggle to see where the votes are for them, given the political dynamics and electoral map.

2010 Lib Dems are the key to the next election.

All this talk about where the vote is coming from, everyone seems to forget the 35% of the whole electorate who didn't even bother to vote last time. Surely there is more than enough votes in that pool -- provided it can be tapped -- regardless of what 2010 LDs do.
    edited July 2013
    The figures I gave are for Britain — (ie. the UK excluding Northern Ireland), since Labour don't stand in the province.
    Polls close in about 25 minutes in Zimbabwe...
    DavidL said:

Yes Blair told lies over Iraq. More than a decade ago. So what?

The expenses scandal was an abuse of an inadequate system. With some, largely Labour, exceptions it did not involve dishonesty no matter how immoral it was.

"So what" for the Iraq war and " it did not involve dishonesty" and it's the systems fault for the expenses scandal. You're quite sure that's what you want on record? Your choice. Your side-splittingly hilarious choice. :)

Even more staggering, you actually pretend to believe that a couple of photos from an event which had SNP and Labour activists campaigning together for Yes is what makes the SNP "simply the most dishonest party in the UK".

ROFL

I now realise you are a spoof poster. I admit it, despite your blatantly unhinged assertions I almost took you seriously. Well done sir. Carry on the spoofing. :)

SeanT said:

carl said:

@SeanT

5% being: people who, in the end: don't care, won't vote, are kind of Lib Dem actually, feel a bit UKIPpy on the day, have a cold, go shopping, think that Cameron has done alright surprisingly, are really menstruating heavily, like Labour but loathe Ed Miliband, etc.

Recall this is the midterm of a very unpopular Coalition at a time of savage decline in living standards... and according to ICM the two main parties are neck-and-neck.

The idea that Labour's 35% polling is a "core vote" is FATUOUS.
    You think the incredibly stable >5% increase in Labour's support since 2010 is made of people who, in the end: don't care, won't vote, are kind of Lib Dem actually, feel a bit UKIPpy on the day, have a cold, go shopping, think that Cameron has done alright surprisingly, are really menstruating heavily, like Labour but loathe Ed Miliband?
  • currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    Two points:
    How was Toronado 11/4 today, if you watch the race at Ascot (when I backed it), without the bump it would have won 2 lengths, shame that I was so busy at work today I forgot to back it to get my money back.
    Secondly the recession in the south is yesterdays news. It feels like we are back to 2006 in the construction industry. For the past three weeks I have been trying to employ agency electricians to help out with all the jobs we have on. There are none available in the whole of Hampshire. Agency's cant remember a time like it.

If the economy keeps recovering at the rate it is, then I think Labour (who up until 3 months ago I thought were certs for the next election) will be in trouble. They will have to come up with a reason for people voting for them rather than just being not tories. What will there line of attack be. Vote for us we wont muck it all up again honest.

I can see Labour lurching to the left and going for a nationalizing agenda, it could be a 1983/1992 type manifesto. Now I am sure that will be popular with their grassroots and their benefit heartlands, but will it win them an election?
This discussion has been closed.