Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » GE2017 – the first polling

13»

Comments

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    felix said:

Will Solihull go Lib Dem again?

Not at all likely.
    Based on local factors or just the majority? Lorely Burt was pretty popular when I lived in the constituency.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,825

Not a fan of this election decision though. I see it as a way to derail Brexit.

How? We will still be Brexiting no matter who wins.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    kle4 said:

AnneJGP said:

kle4 said:

Curious that the SNP are more split on if this is right or wrong - considering it totally undermines any May argument about not holding an IndyRef, I'd have thought they would all be thrilled.

I don't see that it does undermine that argument. Like I said earlier, deciding that a GE is needed and arranging it are part of the Day Job for Mrs May. Completely different circumstances.

A more fitting comparison would be if Mrs May had decided to go for EUref 2.
    It's not a day job question, it's a 'this is not the time' because of the disruption issue.
    I disagree. I think it's part of the PM's job to decide whether the Brexit project (which will last some years) can be accomplished OK with the current make-up of parliament or whether, on balance, it would be better to have a GE now.

If the PM judges that, on balance, it would be best to have a GE now & get it out of the way for another 5 years, then (in her view) the time is right.

OTOH, the whole aim of the SNP's Sindyref2 is to set in motion another enormous separation project. In my view, for the PM to risk both these projects taking place at the same time would not be at all in the interests of the UK.

Quite easy to understand Now is the time for one thing and Now is not the time for another.

We've just had Easter, which is when we have chocolate eggs, as opposed to tinsel & turkey.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980
    ToryJim said:

Mr. Jim, FTPA gets reviewed in 2020.

Only if it hasn't been junked first ;)
    And no worries for the boundary changes either :p
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    MaxPB said:

Hoping Lynton gets the barnacles off the boat again and starts with grammar schools. It's an unnecessary distraction from the real issues facing the education system in the nation. Manifesto commitments to T-Levels would be brilliant and a big commitment to apprenticeships is needed as well. We have to get our young people ready for Brexit.

Unfortunately it is her difficulties with that sort of nonsense that has led to this. I fear more of it not less. Parties without opposition get self indulgent.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Very unlikely IMO. They won it by a tiny majority when they were on 23% nationally and the Tories were on about 37%.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,174
    isam said:

Cyan said:

Some religious headgear for women that covers hair, neck and upper chest so that nearby men don't get aroused is considered uncontroversial and unobjectionable, but other headgear with identical characteristics and function gets people wanting to ban it:

Who wants to ban the non face covering one?
    Wilders?
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    malcolmg said:

chestnut said:

kle4 said:

Curious that the SNP are more split on if this is right or wrong - considering it totally undermines any May argument about not holding an IndyRef, I'd have thought they would all be thrilled.

The SNP have very little to gain and a fair bit to lose in Westminster representation with a new election.

Unlike the rest of the UK, it's not going to be Brexit that dominates. It could end up as a referendum about another referendum, and the SNP have positioned themeselves as pro-EU, pro-Indy - which is a 30% view. They obviously won't fall back to that, but seem unlikely to emulate their feats of May 2015. Some of their vote is anti-EU and some is pro-union and doesn't want independence. These voters must be wondering whether they were wise to lend the SNP their vote.

Domestically they also have this to contend with:

"Output of the Scottish economy contracted by 0.2% during the fourth quarter of 2016."

If the next figures show a further contraction, Scotland will be in recession, at a time when everywhere else in the UK is exeriencing growth. Slap bang in the middle of an election.

Tories are stuck with only one policy , anti independence, hated by the majority , seen as nasty evil and cruel to the poor , I doubt SNP will be quaking in their boots. hard to see Scotland voting for perpetual misery of Tory right wing government.
    Doesn't it follow then that Scotland must vote Labour to see off the Tory right wing government?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    kle4 said:

I think May just did this to end Osborne - maybe, just maybe, he could try and justify being a half time MP and a newspaper editor, but he cannot do his new editor job and spend time campaigning in his constituency. He'll have to choose.

Also, technically the FTPA is being adhered to; in reality it is being shat on with the enthusiastic support of the electorate, and that is another big nail in Osborne's political coffin.

And yet another thing, the election gives her carte blanche to reshuffle the 3 brexiteers without loss of face. The fringe benefits of the election are innumerable.

Kudos to whoever speculated that she made up her mind while walking with her husband, over Easter: she did exactly that.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

kle4 said:

AnneJGP said:

kle4 said:

I don't see that it does undermine that argument. Like I said earlier, deciding that a GE is needed and arranging it are part of the Day Job for Mrs May. Completely different circumstances.

A more fitting comparison would be if Mrs May had decided to go for EUref 2.
    It's not a day job question, it's a 'this is not the time' because of the disruption issue.
    I disagree. I think it's part of the PM's job to decide whether the Brexit project (which will last some years) can be accomplished OK with the current make-up of parliament or whether, on balance, it would be better to have a GE now.

If the PM judges that, on balance, it would be best to have a GE now & get it out of the way for another 5 years, then (in her view) the time is right.

OTOH, the whole aim of the SNP's Sindyref2 is to set in motion another enormous separation project. In my view, for the PM to risk both these projects taking place at the same time would not be at all in the interests of the UK.

Quite easy to understand Now is the time for one thing and Now is not the time for another.

We've just had Easter, which is when we have chocolate eggs, as opposed to tinsel & turkey.
    Her judgement seems entirely to have been based on which one is good for her.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited April 2017
    Which rather goes against the BBC's 'jaded electorate' narrative. Just because their political journalists feel a bit fatigued, doesn't mean the wider populace is.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    AndyJS said:

felix said:

New Ipsos-MORI poll has CON 44 LAB 23 LD 12 UKIP 10 from OGH.

I think we can safely say the poll the other day with Con 38% Lab 29% was an outlier.
    Especially since it also had Ukip on double the support of the Lib Dems as well, IIRC. Doesn't sound plausible.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,422
    kle4 said:

I think May just did this to end Osborne - maybe, just maybe, he could try and justify being a half time MP and a newspaper editor, but he cannot do his new editor job and spend time campaigning in his constituency. He'll have to choose.

I suspect that is just a happy coincidence ;)
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited April 2017

Quite likely the campaign/coverage will have a heavy focus on the midlands, IMO.

Journos - book your hotels now!
  • Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590

kle4 said:

Decision time for GO, probably earlier than he anticipated, but as a motive for calling a snap election is plain nonsense.
    To suggest the PM called a GE to see the back of GO is the most ridiculous comment I have heard today.

I can't believe he will run again because what will he campaign on? He was part of the disastrous 'Remain Campaign.' His 'Project Fear' budget has been shot to pieces and he is no fan of the PM.

• Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited April 2017
    A planned terror attack in France has reportedly been thwarted by today's arrests in Marseilles.

* Fillon's team, who were warned on Friday, are saying that the intelligence came from "British services".

* The source says that "only François Fillon received tighter security" at that time. Not only anti-terror police but also snipers were present at his meetings in Montpellier on Friday and Nice on Monday. Le Monde reports that police found a video of one of the suspects standing in front of a Daesh flag holding a machine gun and a copy of Le Monde (well it would be that paper, wouldn't it?) with Fillon on the cover, with the words "la loi du talion (an eye for an eye)" written on the screen. (Did he do a bit of video editing to calm himself down?)

* The Telegraph archly report, "While there has been no confirmation of their suspected targets, Marine Le Pen, the far-Right Front National candidate will hold what may be her last campaign rally in Marseille on Wednesday night."

(That is such a disingenuous way to suggest that Le Pen's rally may have been the target.)

* Le Pen's and Macron's teams also received photos of the suspects prior to the arrests.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

geoffw said:

Dimbleby opines that other parties may "empty chair" the Cons in a TV debate.

Good luck with sorting all that out in just seven weeks...

Dimbleby is a fool
    Err ....

The PM expects to win a general election in seven weeks but can't sort a tv debate or two ?!?
    There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens.

Except indy referendums & tv debates.
    Love a bit of Ecclesiastes. Vanity, vanity, all is vanity.
    And every gambler's motto:

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,019
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

who is against it , I have not heard anyone yet thinking it is wrong, just looking forward to getting stuck in to teh nasties.
    The poll says SNP supporters are split 38-31 that it is right. Maybe that's not reflective, but no other party is even close to those figures. I do find it surprising any would not be in favour.

Everything is crazy in politics nowadays
  • Options
    edited April 2017

kle4 said:

Decision time for GO, probably earlier than he anticipated, but as a motive for calling a snap election is plain nonsense.
    To suggest the PM called a GE to see the back of GO is the most ridiculous comment I have heard today.

Would the inclusion of a smiley face have been a clearer indication of my intent with the comment?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

John Hemming expecting to stand again for Yardley against Jess Phillips:

""John Hemming‏Verified account @johnhemming4mp 3h3 hours ago
    Replying to @noaxnow

Thank you for that. I expect to be confirmed as candidate for June 8th some time later today."

twitter.com/johnhemming4mp/with_replies"

Read more: http://vote-2012.proboards.com/posts/recent#ixzz4eccwGHaR

It's not an impossible LibDem gain. It's the most pro-Remain part of Birmingham. Could Hemming go from 10,500 to 13,000 votes? Yes. Will that be enough? Probably not (Jess got 17,000 votes last time). But if it's a truly horrible Labour campaign, then he might just edge it.

Wikipedia reckons Yardley was 60% leave. It reckons Hall Green was most remain with 66%
    You're right, I misread this article http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/eu-referendum-results-your-area-11536368
    I don't think Brexit will be an important factor in Yardley. It'll be more a question of the respective personal votes of Hemming and Phillips.
  • Options
    "By 49% to 17%, the public thinks that Theresa May is right to seek an early general election"

Anything for you, guv!
  • Options
    Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

chestnut said:

kle4 said:

The SNP have very little to gain and a fair bit to lose in Westminster representation with a new election.

Unlike the rest of the UK, it's not going to be Brexit that dominates. It could end up as a referendum about another referendum, and the SNP have positioned themeselves as pro-EU, pro-Indy - which is a 30% view. They obviously won't fall back to that, but seem unlikely to emulate their feats of May 2015. Some of their vote is anti-EU and some is pro-union and doesn't want independence. These voters must be wondering whether they were wise to lend the SNP their vote.

"Output of the Scottish economy contracted by 0.2% during the fourth quarter of 2016."

If the next figures show a further contraction, Scotland will be in recession, at a time when everywhere else in the UK is exeriencing growth. Slap bang in the middle of an election.

Tories are stuck with only one policy , anti independence, hated by the majority , seen as nasty evil and cruel to the poor , I doubt SNP will be quaking in their boots. hard to see Scotland voting for perpetual misery of Tory right wing government.
    Would it be better if they had two policies?

However their policy as it stands isn't anti-independence, it's not hated by the majority, and although it may be seen as you say it clearly isn't seen by the consensus in that way.

In Scotland it is.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    Based on this poll the Tories would gain 58 seats from Labour, 2 from the LDs and 1 from UKIP and at least 1 from the SNP which would take them to 392 seats overall with Labour falling to 174
    http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/battleground/targets/conservative
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. G, well, quite.

It all started when Brown bottled the 2007 election, and has been gaining pace since.

Odd to think that was a decade ago. I recall Andrew Neil seriously asking if the Conservative Party could survive if it lost the possibly impending election.

I hope Neil and Raworth host the election coverage. They won't, of course.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Roger said:

If the anti Brexiteers could get organised and get behind whoever is the anti Brexit candidate it could turn into an interesting and unpredictable election. Most of the big hitter politicians and captains of industry are still overwhelmingly against.

Things can move in unexpected directions. Nearly everyone I know would vote for whicever candidate was anti Brexit and had the best chance of winning. We just have to convert that into a movement. The polls still have Remainers close to 50%.

From here in france Brexit is seen as plain BONKERS.

There are no anti-Brexit parties. Even the Lib Dems have just changed their tune. All they want now is to "stay in the single market".

So you have to form a NEW party, in the next week or two, choose your candidates, publish your manifesto, then win a majority at the election.

Doddle.
    Farron said in an interview in the Standard he did still want to stay in the EU but on better terms so a vote for the LDs at least would be a vote to reverse Brexit, Labour is now just focused on staying in the single market rather than reversing Brexit
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    kle4 said:

Not a fan of this election decision though. I see it as a way to derail Brexit.

How? We will still be Brexiting no matter who wins.
    We won't be Kipping though under any circumstances. The election will finally bury the Vote Leave promises, and we'll be left with Brexit in name only.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    HYUFD said:

Based on this poll the Tories would gain 58 seats from Labour, 2 from the LDs and 1 from UKIP and at least 1 from the SNP which would take them to 392 seats overall with Labour falling to 174

I don't think the Tories will win any from the Liberal Democrats. They could win more from Labour. I wonder if we would see the return of tactical voting. But with Corbyn at the helm, that would be wishful thinking.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Mr. Glenn, a plausible forecast. If it happens, NewKIP will be born.

Edited extra bit: maybe NUKIP. Hmmm.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Looks like a nice spot for an embassy

https://twitter.com/ScotGovFM/status/854390409258303492
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    malcolmg said:

chestnut said:

kle4 said:

Of course the SNP will come a clear first.

I'm curious to see which side of 45% the SNP finish on though.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

I don't think the Tories will win any from the Liberal Democrats. They could win more from Labour. I wonder if we would see the return of tactical voting. But with Corbyn at the helm, that would be wishful thinking.
    On the contrary. I can see Corbyn being a strong incentive towards tactical voting.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Hear Labour may abstain tomorrow?
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    if Osborne is going, do we need to put TSE on suicide watch?
  • Options
    I've been in work since 8.45am. since 9.30am I've done no work.

I feel knackered, and am off home now.

#TheresaMayRuiningProductivity
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Hold on. This changes everything...

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/854391820385701888
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    It appears there is no Ipsos Mori poll
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

malcolmg said:

chestnut said:

kle4 said:

Doesn't it follow then that Scotland must vote Labour to see off the Tory right wing government?
    LOL, they tried that for many many years, they are finished in Scotland for the forseeable future. Given the hug eswing to the xenophobic right in England that would eb a wasted vote for sure. Scotland's only hope for the future is SNP and independence.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    JackW said:

JackW said:

geoffw said:

They should.

No political party should be able to torpedo debates.
    Most unlikely to happen. Presume they would be taken off the air by legal challenges, Besides, without the Prime Minister involved, how many people (especially those more inclined to support her anyway, whose minds the other parties need to change) would bother to watch anyway?
    What would the legal challenge be ?

We we not invited ? ... :smiley:

An empty chair with a pair of leopard skin shoes underneath would be worth a view.
    Surely if May is invited what can they do ? If it is a Brexit election it is worth hearing the other party leaders.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

AndyJS said:

DavidL said:

There is definite herding around this 21% lead. Very suspicious.

Tories won a 102 seat majority in 1987 with an 11% lead.
    What majority would they win if it was 11% now?
    Electoral Calculus says about 40-50 seats.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

AnneJGP said:

malcolmg said:

chestnut said:

kle4 said:

LOL, they tried that for many many years, they are finished in Scotland for the forseeable future. Given the hug eswing to the xenophobic right in England that would eb a wasted vote for sure. Scotland's only hope for the future is SNP and independence.
    If Corbyn and Corbynism are trounced there is actually a chance Labour may finally decide to pick an electable leader
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

It's likely to be tactical voting against Corbyn. He's been party to an entryist cabal.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    MalcolmG thinks everyone who votes Conservative is xenophobic...
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Jonathan said:
    "It will be clear to many voters that if you are concerned about world peace, you have to vote for Jeremy Corbyn’s Labour party."

That's ambitious.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

malcolmg said:

chestnut said:

kle4 said:

FWIW as long as the SNP hit support above the UK/England Tory level - this will enhance their mandate !!
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    chestnut said:

malcolmg said:

chestnut said:

kle4 said:

For sure , will be very interesting. If they break 50% then it is game over.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,793
    malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

chestnut said:

kle4 said:

However their policy as it stands isn't anti-independence, it's not hated by the majority, and although it may be seen as you say it clearly isn't seen by the consensus in that way.

In Scotland it is.
    These ideas may individually get over the wire in their acceptance in Scotland, but they're far from accepted as a package.

The relatively pragmatic Tories are far from your enemy if you want an independent Scotland. Your actual enemy is clearly the somewhat brighter bloke that lives next door.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    chestnut said:

malcolmg said:

chestnut said:

kle4 said:

Turnout dependent. The higher the turnout the better SNP will do as they have a lot of lazy voters.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Artist said:

Jonathan said:
    "It will be clear to many voters that if you are concerned about world peace, you have to vote for Jeremy Corbyn’s Labour party."

Lofty goal to be sure, Diane, but I am rather more immediately concerned with matters closer to home.
  • Options

if Osborne is going, do we need to put TSE on suicide watch?

No, because I've been re-reading this article all day, it gives me comfort.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/09/01/george-osborne-the-modern-day-winston-churchill/

And reciting this

The Osborne is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Osborne for ever.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933

isam said:

Cyan said:

Some religious headgear for women that covers hair, neck and upper chest so that nearby men don't get aroused is considered uncontroversial and unobjectionable, but other headgear with identical characteristics and function gets people wanting to ban it:

Wilders?
    Oh right. Can't see the problem with them myself, the ones that only show the eyes aren't good for society imo
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    theakes said:

Hear Labour may abstain tomorrow?

If moderate Labour MPs had a fight on them they could thwart May and Corbyn .I would not hold my breath though .
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

I think they'll probably regain Richmond.
  • Options
    What's happening in Georgia 6th district ? That is the one that matters today.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

The 2 seats in question are Carshalton and Wallington and Southport, the former voted Leave and the latter Remain.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited April 2017
    Artist said:

Jonathan said:

That's ambitious.
    Sounds threatening: Vote Corbyn – or we’ll send round Diane Abbott…! :lol:
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013
    HYUFD said:

I would expect 2 to 3 gains from the SNP.
  • Options

isam said:

Cyan said:

Wilders?
    And Le Pen wants to ban it in public places.
  • Options
    Will the Lib Dems recover in Scotland?

Not in coalition with Evil Tories, not Evil Tories, not Corbynite Labour. Could be a nice home for a protest vote.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

I would expect 2 to 3 gains from the SNP.
    I'm going for 4 but maybe I am getting carried away.
  • Options

Will the Lib Dems recover in Scotland?

Not in coalition with Evil Tories, not Evil Tories, not Corbynite Labour. Could be a nice home for a protest vote.

I'm wondering how much tactical voting will be going on in Scotland.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, hmm. That's a high number given the reportedly high bar on charging.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

I think they'll probably regain Richmond.
    I am not too sure. They will possibly lose Twickenham and Kingston & Surbiton. They will not lose Carshalton. If they did not lose it in 2015, they won't now.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Cyan said:

isam said:

Cyan said:

Wilders?
    And Le Pen wants to ban it in public places.
    One aspect of this kind of Islamophobia that I despise is the cowardice of it. If you are in a group and you want someone to stop doing something, go up to them and tell them to their face why.

Don't make up a false reason, some fake wink-at-your-mates crap that would apply equally to someone else in the room who's doing the same thing and whose choices you consider to be completely unproblematic.
  • Options
    calum said:
    Pedant mode, but haven't they been considering it since they received the files?
  • Options
    I'm no expert, but isn't "considering" lawyerish for "not happening"?

The likelihood of prosecution is so slim that the chances of Crick's little wank fantasy coming true are practically none.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,793
    Lammy on the BBC..

He's going to say something stupid
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    calum said:
    The CPS should shut the fuck up. They leak like a sieve
  • Options
    RobD said:

calum said:
    Pedant mode, but haven't they been considering it since they received the files?
    A few reselection headaches !
  • Options
    As amusing as Crick's little masturbatory reverie has been, I think it demonstrates how deep is leftish delusion at the moment. Crick and C4 news honestly thought, apropos nothing, they were on to a MAJOR scandal that was going to rock Tories to their knees and open the door for Comrade Jez's ascendence.

Delusion is a beautiful but tragic thing.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Yorkcity said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

geoffw said:

They should.

Most unlikely to happen. Presume they would be taken off the air by legal challenges, Besides, without the Prime Minister involved, how many people (especially those more inclined to support her anyway, whose minds the other parties need to change) would bother to watch anyway?

An empty chair with a pair of leopard skin shoes underneath would be worth a view.
    Surely if May is invited what can they do ? If it is a Brexit election it is worth hearing the other party leaders.
    It'll come down to whether the broadcasters have the bottle to empty chair the PM.

They should invite her to all the debates. If she chooses to not attend, then fine. The opposition will have a couple of hours to discuss the merits of the government and all their good works .. :smile:

The media should put a marker down that no party leader gets a veto on the debates.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

chestnut said:

kle4 said:

In Scotland it is.
    These ideas may individually get over the wire in their acceptance in Scotland, but they're far from accepted as a package.

The relatively pragmatic Tories are far from your enemy if you want an independent Scotland. Your actual enemy is clearly the somewhat brighter bloke that lives next door.
    Nobody within miles is brighter than me so that one does not resonate.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Yorkcity said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

geoffw said:

They should.

It'll come down to whether the broadcasters have the bottle to empty chair the PM.

They should invite her to all the debates. If she chooses to not attend, then fine. The opposition will have a couple of hours to discuss the merits of the government and all their good works .. :smile:

The media should put a marker down that no party leader gets a veto on the debates.
    They could just use a barrel of snake oil instead
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited April 2017
    JackW said:

Yorkcity said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

geoffw said:

They should.

I'm not sure there's much of a taste for it. Would people really want an hour of Corbyn or May?

I'm with Brenda from Bristol on this one
This discussion has been closed.