Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The LDs go for the jugular against Corbyn in Manchester Gorton

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Why do you deserve representation

Deserve?

Unfortunately, people get the vote without having to gain your approval first. It's obviously a shame and no doubt only temporary until your suzerainty is acknowledged, but there it is.
    No, try actually reading stuff, slowly and carefully. He said that a specific view "deserved representation", and I was asking why he said that.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,027
    Ishmael_Z said:

viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Deserve?

Unfortunately, people get the vote without having to gain your approval first. It's obviously a shame and no doubt only temporary until your suzerainty is acknowledged, but there it is.
    No, try actually reading stuff, slowly and carefully. He said that a specific view "deserved representation", and I was asking why he said that.
    A distinction without a difference
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,464

Can I just say, as someone without a dog in the fight, I really like that Lib Dem leaflet. Yes, it's brutal, but I think it might be rather effective.

Bad choice of words under the circumstances...

And with that unfortunate image in my head, good night.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Deserve?

No. Get your mum to explain.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Deserve?

No. Get your mum to explain.
    You keep insisting people do things.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,008
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Floater said:
    An EU migrant with several convictions in his home country, who was unemployed, and living under a bridge murdered a young Indian woman and was today sentenced to 30 years imprisonment.

Why was he allowed into the UK?

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/jailed-for-life-immigrant-who-raped-and-murdered-a-hotel-housekeeper-a3
    As a matter of interest, how are you going to check for criminal convictions for people coming into the UK? There is no international registry of convictions. When you do your Visa Waiver for the US, you declare whether you have a conviction, but the US government does not (and cannot) check if what you say is true or not.
    You think its a good immigration policy to let convicted criminals doss under bridges before murdering? Agree to disagree
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    kle4 said:

Can I just say, as someone without a dog in the fight, I really like that Lib Dem leaflet. Yes, it's brutal, but I think it might be rather effective.

I think it's a good one, though how effective I have a hard time believing 'Labour are doing a poor job with hundreds of MPs, we'll do better with 10' is that effective, even if it is funny.
    Labour only have to remind the labour voting area who were the real poodle party from only a couple of years ago,these Basta*ds voted through all these cuts with the baby eating Tories would be my slogan ;-)
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,718

Con gain Bootle if that video is accurate.

I would love it if my constituency just changed hands, let alone voted Conservative and Unionist.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Floater said:
    An EU migrant with several convictions in his home country, who was unemployed, and living under a bridge murdered a young Indian woman and was today sentenced to 30 years imprisonment.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/jailed-for-life-immigrant-who-raped-and-murdered-a-hotel-housekeeper-a3
    As a matter of interest, how are you going to check for criminal convictions for people coming into the UK? There is no international registry of convictions. When you do your Visa Waiver for the US, you declare whether you have a conviction, but the US government does not (and cannot) check if what you say is true or not.
    You think its a good immigration policy to let convicted criminals doss under bridges before murdering? Agree to disagree
    What would your visa regulations that would have prevented it?
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,963
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Floater said:

I reckon it's really pretty simple - we have vagrancy laws under which a person can be arrested and charged, so you're caught sleeping under a bridge, you're not a British citizen, you're put on the first flight back to wherever you came from and denied entry to the country ever again.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061

Con gain Bootle if that video is accurate.

I would love it if my constituency just changed hands

It's the dream of many. I have some hope the boundary review changes might make my seat competitive, though it is still predicted to be pretty safe, if not as safe as it is now.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,149
    Ishmael_Z said:

Any Remainer who failed to get off his/her arse and get out and actively campaign in the referendum itself must be regarded as politically speaking a dickless eunuch from here on in.

There's something Freudian about your constant reiteration of this point. A fear of losing some vital essence.
  • Options

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Floater said:

Maybe that he had a job lined up/home to live in? I cant believe it is beyond the realms of possibility to check if people have criminal convictions, we know he had them now so its not that hard to find out.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

...There is no international registry of convictions...

Dear God, why the hell not? How the arse did that happen, or rather fail to happen?

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,997
    viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

I remember reading about a "Mr. Hands" of Seattle, who died from internal injuries after persuading a stallion to mount him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoo_(2007_film)
    Without wishing to be too graphic, it does sound excruciatingly painful, like being impaled on a long spike.

Quite why someone would *willingly* do such a thing is a mystery.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Floater said:

Maybe that he had a job lined up/home to live in? I cant believe it is beyond the realms of possibility to check if people have criminal convictions, we know he had them now so its not that hard to find out.

So would EU passport holders be required to provide a CRB style certificate from their own country before they were alllowed to come on a visitors visa?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,577
    isam said:

Floater said:

More to the point, why is he being imprisoned here at our expense?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,231
    The head of the Syrian Chemicals Weapon programme is a gentleman called Mr Armanazi.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

I remember reading about a "Mr. Hands" of Seattle, who died from internal injuries after persuading a stallion to mount him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoo_(2007_film)
    Without wishing to be too graphic, it does sound excruciatingly painful, like being impaled on a long spike.

Quite why someone would *willingly* do such a thing is a mystery.
    I cannot even conceive of why anyone would want to make let alone watch a film chronicling such a thing! Some things are best left to the cool, neutral language of a newspaper article.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Floater said:

I think you are wilfully missing the point.

What is your system where he is kept out?

If he turns up and says I'm a tourist coming for a week to the UK (which, by the way, is how the vast majority of illegal Mexican immigration to the US happens), how will we know whether he has a conviction or not?

I guess you could have a policy where every potential visitor has to get a visa, and they have to go to their local police station and get a signed document saying the person has had no criminal record. Are you really suggesting that?

Now, if someone commits a crime in the UK, we should hopefully in future be able to kick them out, and to prevent re-entry. Which is great. But I simply don't see how we can prevent people - in any realistic manner - from getting into the UK if they have a criminal record from another country and are willing to lie about it.
  • Options
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Floater said:

I think the point is that you can't have an effective immigration policy, good or bad, about convicted criminals if there is no way of knowing who is a convicted criminal and who isn't.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Floater said:

So would EU passport holders be required to provide a CRB style certificate from their own country before they were alllowed to come on a visitors visa?
    Fuck knows I am not a politician, I just don't think criminal from other countries should be let in to sleep rough and murder people.

You are on the other side of the argument, & think nothing can be done to stop it/its too much trouble, fair dos
  • Options
    viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

Dear God, why the hell not? How the arse did that happen, or rather fail to happen?

Well:

(1) There are serious differences between countries about what constitutes a crime.
    (2) There is no equivalent to the WTO which has standard categories for crimes between countries.
    (3) The risk of you having a similar name to someone who might have committed crime somewhere is quite high. Inconveniencing millions of innocent people is not a great idea for your economy.
    (4) There are clearly privacy concerns.
    (5) What about spent convictions?
    (6) What about cautions and equivalent?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Floater said:

I think you are wilfully missing the point.

What is your system where he is kept out?

If he turns up and says I'm a tourist coming for a week to the UK (which, by the way, is how the vast majority of illegal Mexican immigration to the US happens), how will we know whether he has a conviction or not?

I guess you could have a policy where every potential visitor has to get a visa, and they have to go to their local police station and get a signed document saying the person has had no criminal record. Are you really suggesting that?

Now, if someone commits a crime in the UK, we should hopefully in future be able to kick them out, and to prevent re-entry. Which is great. But I simply don't see how we can prevent people - in any realistic manner - from getting into the UK if they have a criminal record from another country and are willing to lie about it.
    OK nothing can be done, you win.

It was an example of our immigration system working well.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

The head of the Syrian Chemicals Weapon programme is a gentleman called Mr Armanazi.

And his brother is the head of the British-Syrian Society.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/sarin-chiefs-sons-are-uk-citizens-syria-chemical-war-attack-fsnkrk6fw
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Floater said:

Fuck knows I am not a politician, I just don't think criminal from other countries should be let in to sleep rough and murder people.

You are on the other side of the argument, & think nothing can be done to stop it/its too much trouble, fair dos
    If you are going to suggest that politicians make this impossible then you need to suggest a method.

As it is you cannot. You might as well ask why our politicians cannot prevent rainstorms.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,405
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Floater said:

Sam we just need to find a way to stop people coming to London from West Yorkshire.

When you've got that sorted I'll join your party.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/12/catastrophe-looms-at-ports-after-brexit-shipping-industry-warns

The UK is facing an “absolute catastrophe” if it does not sort out a “frictionless and seamless” border at Dover and other ports, the shipping industry has warned.

I'm surprised that the environmental and climate warriors haven't picked up on the quadrupling of lorries arriving at Dover in the last twenty five years.

Three million additional lorries are trundling around the garden of England each year. EU and environmentalism? They're 'avin a larf.
    Isn't that function of both increased trade and containerisation, irrespective of who it's with? I suspect that there is a similar (or larger) increase in lorries coming out of Felixstowe docks too.
    Possibly, but from a purely environmental perspective, would you organise an economy like it?

I would have thought that fewer vehicles and more localised production and delivery would have been preferable.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Floater said:

Sam we just need to find a way to stop people coming to London from West Yorkshire.

I am afraid that ship has sailed, and we are stuck with them.

We were warned
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Floater said:

If you are going to suggest that politicians make this impossible then you need to suggest a method.

As it is you cannot. You might as well ask why our politicians cannot prevent rainstorms.
    Why do I need to suggest a method?
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Floater said:

In the ideal world, criminals would not be let into the country without going through a stringent vetting/visa process first.

But the cost to the economy of requiring every potential visitor to jump through hoops before they can come for a 90 minute meeting about an IPO would be enormous. Or for the Schmidts or the Changs to come visit Buckingham Palace for the weekend.

There's a reason no other countries require such hoops to be jumped through. It's not that politicians are globalising scum who hate the proletariat and wish them murdered by indigent foreigners. It's that there is an economic cost to such extreme vetting.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

isam said:

kyf_100 said:

isam said:

Floater said:

He was allowed in because we have no legal recourse to prevent him. Free movement means free movement.

"Take back control" resonated for so many reasons. "Stronger in" meant nothing.
    Carswell's £24k idea seems a great way forward IMO
    Buh buh but, it also means you, too have the right to go live under a bridge in Romania!

What was Carswell's 24k idea? The minimum you should earn before being granted the right of free movement? Sounds very sensible to me. Though simply being able to deny people without a British passport the right to benefits, the right to the NHS, etc, would have much the same effect. Combine that with policing the vagrancy laws and insisting on the deportation of all foreign criminals charged with it and "free movement" by and large works.
    How many foeign workers in the agricultural , hotel and care home industries earn £ 24K a year ?
    I agree, which is why I think a much simpler solution would be to make the marginal cost to a foreign employee or an employer recruiting a foreigner higher would be a more effective way - you could do this easily by denying them in work benefits, by insisting on a flat £100 per month NHS tax and so on. The tax could be raised or lowered depending on supply and demand for jobs and exempted entirely for certain professions - eg nurses and so on.

The point is taking back control. The right to decide who comes in and how many people come in, whether that's a million migrant workers or ten.
    The point for many of those voting Leave was not taking back control but stopping Johnny and Jemima foreigners coming in at all . Those people do not care if that f***ks up our agriculture , hotel and care home industries and many of them not even if the NHS ends up with problems .
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Floater said:

Because without a method there is no way to stop it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Floater said:

In the ideal world, criminals would not be let into the country without going through a stringent vetting/visa process first.

But the cost to the economy of requiring every potential visitor to jump through hoops before they can come for a 90 minute meeting about an IPO would be enormous. Or for the Schmidts or the Changs to come visit Buckingham Palace for the weekend.

There's a reason no other countries require such hoops to be jumped through. It's not that politicians are globalising scum who hate the proletariat and wish them murdered by indigent foreigners. It's that there is an economic cost to such extreme vetting.
    So be it. The first job of a politician is to ensure the people are kept safe, and no economic cost should be too high.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Floater said:

Yes but it isn't on me to come up with it.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Floater said:

We were warned
    Yep agree. And if only we'd torpedoed the Windrush we'd be in a much better position also.

Just out of interest, as one arsehole racist to another, when would you ideally have stopped immigration to this country?
  • Options
    isam said:

So be it. The first job of a politician is to ensure the people are kept safe, and no economic cost should be too high.

You support a 10 mph speed limit? It'd save 1,500 British lives a year and tens of thousands of injuries.

Or is the economic cost too high?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,805
    RobD said:

FF43 said:

They are out of their depth and doing a nearly impossible job (in the time frame) pretty poorly, but I wouldn't say headless chickens, if you exclude Johnson and Fox.

I doubt you'd ever think they were doing a good job!
    It's not what I would think. I don't think they are. We're leaving the EU, so we might as well make the best of a bad job, but they are not even really doing that. Although Theresa May has improved somewhat from a low base.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Floater said:

We were warned
    Yep agree. And if only we'd torpedoed the Windrush we'd be in a much better position also.

Just out of interest, as one arsehole racist to another, when would you ideally have stopped immigration to this country?
    With hindsight being 20/20, we should not have allowed a single new permanent resident from an islamic country post 9/11.

EU freedom of movement should have been limited with the 2004 expansion of the EU, e.g. with a job offer or salary requirement.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

You support a 10 mph speed limit? It'd save 1,500 British lives a year and tens of thousands of injuries.

Ok as I said, you win. I am not in the mood for constant smart arse pin dancing.

Convicted criminals coming from the EU to sleep rough/not work/kill people is unstoppable and always will be.

Happy Days
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Floater said:

We were warned

@PBModerator

"Just out of interest, as one arsehole racist to another"

Shut the door on your way out Toppers
  • Options
    We need more lateral thinking on this. If we can't stop criminals coming in, at least we could remove the people we catch getting up to no good here. Perhaps ship them somewhere far away?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited April 2017
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

You joke...we are down to 20mph now in lots of places...
  • Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Floater said:

To be fair the Canadians and the US have a convictions sharing agreement. Supposedly it's caused a few issues with people trying to cross.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

isam said:

kyf_100 said:

isam said:

Floater said:

He was allowed in because we have no legal recourse to prevent him. Free movement means free movement.

"Take back control" resonated for so many reasons. "Stronger in" meant nothing.
    Carswell's £24k idea seems a great way forward IMO
    Buh buh but, it also means you, too have the right to go live under a bridge in Romania!

What was Carswell's 24k idea? The minimum you should earn before being granted the right of free movement? Sounds very sensible to me. Though simply being able to deny people without a British passport the right to benefits, the right to the NHS, etc, would have much the same effect. Combine that with policing the vagrancy laws and insisting on the deportation of all foreign criminals charged with it and "free movement" by and large works.
    How many foeign workers in the agricultural , hotel and care home industries earn £ 24K a year ?
    I agree, which is why I think a much simpler solution would be to make the marginal cost to a foreign employee or an employer recruiting a foreigner higher would be a more effective way - you could do this easily by denying them in work benefits, by insisting on a flat £100 per month NHS tax and so on. The tax could be raised or lowered depending on supply and demand for jobs and exempted entirely for certain professions - eg nurses and so on.

The point is taking back control. The right to decide who comes in and how many people come in, whether that's a million migrant workers or ten.
    The point for many of those voting Leave was not taking back control but stopping Johnny and Jemima foreigners coming in at all . Those people do not care if that f***ks up our agriculture , hotel and care home industries and many of them not even if the NHS ends up with problems .
    Can I thank you for at least saying 'many of those' voting leave leave, rather than just 'those who voted leave'.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,995

We need more lateral thinking on this. If we can't stop criminals coming in, at least we could remove the people we catch getting up to no good here. Perhaps ship them somewhere far away?

Back to their home country is sufficient.
  • Options
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Floater said:

As a matter of

Perhaps we should ban all motor vehicles on the same ground.

For example there will be a couple of thousand Athletico Madrid fans in Leicester next week. Should we all require them to get certificates from the Spanish Home office before they fly? Or perhaps they should all be escorted by the Brigade of Guards off the plane to a concentration camp ringed with machine guns conveniently close to the away end at the King Power?
  • Options

Back to where they came from, perhaps?
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Floater said:

As a matter of interest, how are you going to check for criminal convictions for people coming into the UK? There is no international registry of convictions.nment does not (and cannot) check if what you say is true or not.

We were warned

With hindsight being 20/20, we should not have allowed a single new permanent resident from an islamic country post 9/11.

EU freedom of movement should have been limited with the 2004 expansion of the EU, e.g. with a job offer or salary requirement.
    What's about German Muslim visitors? Perhaps a more rigourous interview at our airports.

We'll be able to do that now thank goodness once we leave the EU.
  • Options
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Floater said:

We were warned

@PBModerator

You've got thicker skin than that, isam!
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    ydoethur said:

4) The electoral system is heavily against them - as I pointed out earlier, the Tories if the boundaries go through have a huge number of very safe seats and it is hard to see a scenario where they are not the largest party by an enormous margin. Even if they don't go through the loss of Scotland makes winning an election problematic for Labour - had it not been for Scotland, Labour would have lost in 1964 and there is a serious school of thought (one I will admit I find unconvincing) that suggests they would have lost the following election too under those circumstances as they would not have controlled the timing. To win in a England and Wales alone they need to win 50 seats in straight fights (assuming no Tory gains in Scotland or Wales). That's a big ask.

Labour are probably too strong to be killed off, although my view keeps changing on that (after every crisis, I think, 'Surely this is rock bottom now' and then they get the jackhammers out and start digging). They should win around 160 seats in any given election. But it's hard to see them being strong enough to win an election in less than twelve years from here.

The Tories have not managed 40% since 1992 - and I doubt that they will do so in 2020 despite what current polls are saying. Nevertheless Labour is doomed that year if Corbyn remains - or is replaced by one of the far left nonentities.I do believe,however, that the outlook could be very different under an effective new leader. Moreover, even under Corbyn Labour was often polling 33%/34% in late 2015 and the early months of 2016. I would expect Starmer or Cooper to do better than that , and am quite clear that 35% in 2020 is perfectly achievable.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    kyf_100 said:

West Yorkshire? No, I was thinking somewhere like Australia...
  • Options
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Floater said:

We were warned

@PBModerator

Yep go for it Mods. One of us is an arsehole needing to be banned.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Ok as I said, you win. I am not in the mood for constant smart arse pin dancing.

Convicted criminals coming from the EU to sleep rough/not work/kill people is unstoppable and always will be.

Happy Days
    Convicted criminals coming from the USA/Canada/Australia to sleep rough/not work. kill people is also unstoppable but does not seem to worry you .
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Happy Days
    Convicted criminals can come in from any number of non-EU countries too. Visas are pretty much about finances and sponsors, not criminal vetting.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    I'd have thought closer cooperation with our fellow europeans would be the best way to track EU criminals round.
    Perhaps there is an organisation we could join to help out on this...
  • Options

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Happy Days
    Convicted criminals coming from the USA/Canada/Australia to sleep rough/not work. kill people is also unstoppable but does not seem to worry you .
    Not that I disagree with your general point (that it isn't an EU only problem), it is quite expensive to get from those places to the UK.
  • Options

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Happy Days
    Convicted criminals can come in from any number of non-EU countries too. Visas are pretty much about finances and sponsors, not criminal vetting.
    Most visas do ask if you have a record though. Although there is nothing stopping you lying.
  • Options
    RobD said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Floater said:

We were warned

@PBModerator

You've got thicker skin than that, isam!
    Why should I put up with being called a racist by people? I would challenge anyone to find a racist comment I have made on here. It shouldn't be so easy for imbeciles to throw around baseless slurs

In this case an Indian woman was murdered by a Latvian. If I were a racist would I be making a fuss over it?
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

West Yorkshire?
    Take the murderer of PC Keith Palmer for example.

Converted to Islam, spent four years living in Saudi. Off you go, don't let the door hit you on the way out, sorry love, no readmittance after 11am, country's full, try round the corner. In best SeanT, voice: BYE.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'd have thought closer cooperation with our fellow europeans would be the best way to track EU criminals round.

Perhaps we could introduce a Common Arrest Warrant so that the long arm of the law could catch fugitive criminals. If only we were a member of an organisation with that sort of vision!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,504
    kle4 said:

I think it's a good one, though how effective I have a hard time believing 'Labour are doing a poor job with hundreds of MPs, we'll do better with 10' is that effective, even if it is funny.
    If Labour has surrendered already, one more lame bum on their backbenches ain't gonna change nothing, for sure.
  • Options
    The Brexit goodwill tour is off to a good start...

https://twitter.com/tobiasbuckft/status/852195815259074560
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    ydoethur said:

Can someone confirm that this isn't a spoof website?

A pensioner who had sex with three different breeds of dogs claimed she did not realise it was illegal.

Carol Bowditch, 64, was filmed having sex with a St Bernard, a black Labrador and an Alsatian.

A pensioner who had sex with three different breeds of dogs claimed she did not realise it was illegal.

Carol Bowditch, 64, was filmed having sex with a St Bernard, a black Labrador and an Alsatian.

Her activities were exposed as a result of an RAF Police investigation which centred on a man identified as organising a bizarre sex party at which owners watched their dogs having sex with women and then went on to have sex themselves with the women.

http://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/woman-who-had-sex-with-three-dogs-claimed-she-didn-t-know-it-was-wrong/story-30262649-detail/story.html

It's been picked up by multiple tabloids. I'm fairly sure I saw it on the Beeb too but I can't find it and I'm wary of looking too hard for some reason.

So it seems to be genuine.

Edit - found it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-38369026
    She must be barking....

• Options

twitter.com/tobiasbuckft/status/852195815259074560

Probably no different from last year, or the year before...
  • Options
    edited April 2017

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Happy Days
    Show me where it has happened and I will say that is wrong. Why would I dislike Latvians but like Americans, Canadians & Australians?

This Latvian killed an Indian. If I were racist, as you have a hard on to imply, why would it bother me enough to think of posting about it?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Cheeky!
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Floater said:

I would find a way if this had been my daughter ,this assault and attacker has always stuck in my mind.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3280805/Slovakian-man-jailed-20-years-raping-woman-18-battered-viciously-stone-life-saved-hood-headscarf.html
  • Options
    edited April 2017

I knew that was going to be brought up at some point. Wasn't this after the reports that Leicester fans had been charged at by police for no reason according to a BBC reporter earlier? So it might well be deliberately provocative chanting in response.

Additionally, if anyone seriously thinks there is any impact on global politics, any impact at all, because of the drunken antics of sports fans (as those are representative of anything), they are either a fool or a liar. These are not the Nika riots in terms of significance.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Perhaps we could introduce a Common Arrest Warrant so that the long arm of the law could catch fugitive criminals. If only we were a member of an organisation with that sort of vision!
    Well we are in it, and it didn't do much to help Pardeep Kaur
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Cheeky!
    ... and dumb
  • Options
    isam said:

Why should I put up with being called a racist by people? I would challenge anyone to find a racist comment I have made on here. It shouldn't be so easy for imbeciles to throw around baseless slurs

In this case an Indian woman was murdered by a Latvian. If I were a racist would I be making a fuss over it?

A fair point, but you do seem capable enough at standing up to such comments and defending your position.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    rkrkrk said:

Interesting proposal for corporation tax... Rather than trying to take a share of the profits and trying to close loopholes etc... Government should just take 25% non voting shares in companies.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-baker-corporate-tax-20170410-story.html

Would mean the government taking 25% of any business you've created when you sell it.

In context, the UK tax rate in those circumstances is 10%
    https://www.gov.uk/entrepreneurs-relief/eligibility

Companies could also indefinitely and legally avoid paying taxes by not issuing dividends. Since not paying dividends increases the companies asset base, the share value could rise and the shareholders can make revenue by selling their shares while the government doesn't get a penny.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Happy Days
    Show me where it has happened and I will say that is wrong. Why would I dislike Latvians but like Americans, Canadians & Australians

This Latvian killed an Indian. If I were racist, as you have a hard on to imply, why would it bother me enough to think of posting about it?
    I don't think this is a racist argument, just one about whether it is practicable to prevent foreign criminals coming here. It is of course worth noting that we export a lot of criminals to the Costas etc too!
  • Options
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

Well we are in it, and it didn't do much to help Pardeep Kaur
    Clearly it needs strengthening...
  • Options
    @rcs100 is right that there may be no practical way to stop people with criminal convictions visiting the UK.

But there is a difference between a tourist and a permanent resident. Most countries have controls on who can become a permanent resident and it is possible to impose conditions - such as not having a criminal conviction, however defined - which mean that you can be deported if it is found that you have lied on your application form.

Similarly, why should someone have the right to go and live rough in another country?

If people had felt that those visitors who break the rules were actually deported, they would (perhaps) have been more willing to accept free movement for those who did not take the piss.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Sam, sweetie, you relentlessly highlight the crimes of minority groups suggesting that it is inherent in that group's makeup. Whereas the indigenous population is responsible for a vastly greater number of similar crimes. Your aim presumably is to discriminate against and penalise members of that minority group by suggesting that all members of that group are equally culpable.

It is the very definition of racism.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

If only we were a member of a body of nation states that co-operated on issues such as security, arranged mutually beneficial free trade organisations, and respected each other's sovereignty.

Weren't we in such an organisation once? Or did I just dream it?
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Happy Days
    Show me where it has happened and I will say that is wrong. Why would I dislike Latvians but like Americans, Canadians & Australians

I don't think this is a racist argument, just one about whether it is practicable to prevent foreign criminals coming here. It is of course worth noting that we export a lot of criminals to the Costas etc too!
    If an American, Canadian or Australia roughsleeper comes here on a visa-waiver and overstays their welcome they can be deported even if they haven't committed a crime other than outstaying their visa.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    RobD said:

isam said:

A fair point, but you do seem capable enough at standing up to such comments and defending your position.
    I have been banned more than any other person on here, and for less than we see other people get away with every day.

It hurts to be called a racist, it isn't true, I have never said people of a certain race are this or that, I don't think one race is superior or inferior, I have only ever said the friction caused by mass immigration is dangerous. Countless times I have said the problems caused by mass immigration here would be replayed if poor, white Christians went en masse to a non white, non Christian country.

On top of that, I am arguing here on behalf of an Indian immigrant murdered by a white European. Madness, some people are so stupid
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

@rcs100 is right that there may be no practical way to stop people with criminal convictions visiting the UK.

But there is a difference between a tourist and a permanent resident. Most countries have controls on who can become a permanent resident and it is possible to impose conditions - such as not having a criminal conviction, however defined - which mean that you can be deported if it is found that you have lied on your application form.

Similarly, why should someone have the right to go and live rough in another country?

If people had felt that those visitors who break the rules were actually deported, they would (perhaps) have been more willing to accept free movement for those who did not take the piss.

It was our government that abolished exit checks, so cannot identify overstayers.

Freedom of movement is also not absolute in the EU.

"Migrant workers’ right to reside for more than three months remains subject to certain conditions, which vary depending on the citizen’s status: for EU citizens who are not workers or self-employed, the right of residence depends on their having sufficient resources not to become a burden on the host Member State’s social assistance system, and having sickness insurance. EU citizens acquire the right of permanent residence in the host Member State after a period of five years of uninterrupted legal residence."

from http://www.europarl.europa.eu/atyourservice/en/displayFtu.html?ftuId=FTU_3.1.3.html
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sam, sweetie, you relentlessly highlight the crimes of minority groups suggesting that it is inherent in that group's makeup. Whereas the indigenous population is responsible for a vastly greater number of similar crimes. Your aim presumably is to discriminate against and penalise members of that minority group by suggesting that all members of that group are equally culpable.

No I don't. You are too stupid to understand the point, and far too concerned about making yourself sound virtuous to realise.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    RobD said:

It is completely different and unprecedented and would have been utterly impossible to imagine had it not been for last year's shock result ...

Who'd have ever dreamt of Leicester fans being in Madrid in the first place? ;)
  • Options
    @foxinsoxuk.. weren't exit checks reintroduced?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Cyclefree said:

We genuinely had more powers at our disposal then we ever used I think !
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited April 2017

Tobias and Jolyon are terribly upset. Football fans never behaved like this before Brexit.
  • Options
    RobD said:

No. there are no passport checks when leaving the UK.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

No I don't. You are too stupid to understand the point, and far too concerned about making yourself sound virtuous to realise.
    Nah. In an above post you said "I never said people of a certain race are this or that."

What do you think you are doing by constantly posting details of crimes committed by Muslims?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Nah. In an above post you said "I never said people of a certain race are this or that."

What do you think you are doing by constantly posting details of crimes committed by Muslims?
    When did Muslims become a race?
  • Options

RobD said:

No. there are no passport checks when leaving the UK.
    Looks like the government get data from the airlines etc.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/exit-checks-on-passengers-leaving-the-uk/exit-checks-fact-sheet
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Cyclefree said:

I agree with you 100%.

This is about the specific situation that isam mentioned about a Romanian who came to the UK with a criminal conviction and then lived under a bridge before going on to murder someone.

I think it is reasonable to assume that said Romanian did not go through the hoops and apply for a Residence card. In other words, he came in here as a tourist and stayed.

As I said below, I hope that in the future we will do a much better job of throwing out people who have committed offences (from wherever). But we do need to be realistic about the limits (and costs) of action.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Muslims are members of a religion, they are not a race.

Where did I post details of crimes committed by Muslims recently by the way? I don't think the Latvian murderer was a Muslim
  • Options

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

When did Muslims become a race?
    When indeed.
  • Options

RobD said:

It is completely different and unprecedented and would have been utterly impossible to imagine had it not been for last year's shock result ...

Who'd have ever dreamt of Leicester fans being in Madrid in the first place? ;)
    Leicester has now played competitive fixtures against Athletico 5 times. They have won every match! the last time was in '97. We went out 4:1 on aggregate.

Only a dubious penalty prevented a stalemate. Kasper didn't have to produce any real saves. The return fixture is very live.
  • Options
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Where did I post details of crimes committed by Muslims recently by the way? I don't think the Latvian murderer was a Muslim
    So you are discriminating against people of a particular religion, not race?
  • Options
    RobD said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Happy Days
    Not that I disagree with your general point (that it isn't an EU only problem), it is quite expensive to get from those places to the UK.
    There are a massive number of illegal Albanians working in car washes around the UK. I always find it staggering that we don't deport them.

(Something we should be able to do given that Albania is not in the EU.)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

Well:

(1) There are serious differences between countries about what constitutes a crime.
    (2) There is no equivalent to the WTO which has standard categories for crimes between countries.
    (3) The risk of you having a similar name to someone who might have committed crime somewhere is quite high. Inconveniencing millions of innocent people is not a great idea for your economy.
    (4) There are clearly privacy concerns.
    (5) What about spent convictions?
    (6) What about cautions and equivalent?
    There doesn't have to be an internally coherent and consistent list, with agreed categories. There just needs to be two-hundred-odd lists: the Russians can have "guilty of not liking Putin, 12ys forced labour", the Chinese can have "wanting to vote for a nonParty member, 1000 criticisms", the Australians can have "used knife and fork correctly, six months solitary", or whatever each country defines as a crime. Every other country can then use that as a basis.

I agree about the false positives, especially this week when it appears that one Dr Dao was smeared with the past of another Dr Dao of similar age and name. And when we deal with tens of thousands on people entering per day, you're going to have to find a way to cope with the hundreds that will be caught by this (see also facial recognition for the same problem). But these are bureaucratic problems, fully solvable with money and a bureaucracy. It's pretty much doable.
  • Options
    The Common Arrest Warrant does not really help @Topping's argument. FoM trumps that. We learnt that a long time ago when the Italian born murderer of the Maida Vale headmaster could not be deported back to Italy despite being guilty of the worst crime imaginable because his right to live in the UK trumped everything else.

A FoM which permitted countries to deport and keep out EU citizens guilty of serious crimes would have been sensible.

Unfortunately, the EU does not do sensible.

A government's most basic duty is to try and keep citizens safe. Effectively preventing them from even trying to do that by forcing them to keep within their borders someone who has committed a crime is wrong, unfair and looks as if those coming up with such a policy value the principle rather more than the interests of citizens. Worse, it looks as if they value the rights of foreign criminals over the rights of law-abiding citizens.

It's all very well talking about the economic costs of doing something. But can't you see how this looks and how unfair and arse-over-tip it seems?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

I agree with you 100%.

This is about the specific situation that isam mentioned about a Romanian who came to the UK with a criminal conviction and then lived under a bridge before going on to murder someone.

I think it is reasonable to assume that said Romanian did not go through the hoops and apply for a Residence card. In other words, he came in here as a tourist and stayed.

As I said below, I hope that in the future we will do a much better job of throwing out people who have committed offences (from wherever). But we do need to be realistic about the limits (and costs) of action.
    He was Latvian not Romanian, and as it happens it seems the deceased's husband was working here without a permit

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3310790/vadims-ruskuls-murdered-pardeep-kaur-convictions-in-latvia/
  • Options
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Do you think it's any consolation to the relatives of the victims of, say, Fred West, that they were struck by a local killer?
This discussion has been closed.