Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Len McCluskey thinks LAB could be in government after GE2020 –

Comments

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    OUT said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

Full Lord Ashcroft results here

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2017/04/more-from-my-brexit-research/#more-15143

Hammond scores better than Sturgeon :D

malcolmg said:
    Can't see that breakdown in the official data malc - seems a bit arbitrary

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/New-Landscape-Full-data-tables-March-2017.pdf

In the official tables - without cherry picking subsamples and making up a table to suit your narrative :

Nicla has a mean score of 32.35
    Ruth has a mean score of 38.13
    Even Phil Hammond scores 36.66

Nicla - less popular than the NICs shambles chancellor..

He is -44% to her +11% , ie Hammond 55 behind Sturgeon
    Page 14 chap - you are misreading it

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/ALL-CHANGE-Lord-Ashcroft-Polls-April-2017.pdf

You are using the English numbers
    It's a Uk wide poll - only the naive would use 9% of the sample size as a basis for anything other than their own ignorance.
    Great figures for a Scottish nationalist politician in a UK wide poll.
    Look at the 90-100% segment - her figures are propped up by her cult members .
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Mr. Mark, few days ago now but cheers for posting that interesting anecdote on Meatloaf. [I'd left before you posted it, hence my absence of a response at the time].

Edited extra bit: Meatloaf/your wife, obviously.

Those being two separate people.

Last time I looked, yeah.
    You would do anything for love, but you won't do that?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    JackW said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

philiph said:

JackW said:

Meanwhile .... Perhaps I might garner an opinion or several from the collective knowledge of the PB petrol-heads.

Audi SQ7

Content Or Not Content ?

Will the good Lady JackW be able to get enough new shoes in the back after a trip to the shops?
    I offered a similar view and was met with a countenance that would have stopped Attila The Hun stone dead. It could be so much worse. Some months back Mrs JackW was transported in a Bentley Bentayga with an interior, she informed me, that matched several outfits. I fear she wasn't entirely being frivolous.

That said the SQ7 advice is for a relative of Mrs JackW with numerous young offspring.
    Just taken delivery of a Jaguar F Pace SUV 3 litre diesel. Excellent.

Admittedly a second slower than the Audi SQ7 at 6 secs 0-60 and 5mph slower at 150 mph but built in the Midlands.

Tried a Cayenne which is slightly bigger but does not drive as well as the Jaguar - and built in Volkswagen's Slovakia factory like the Audi SQ7.

Note there is an extra £300 pa Vehicle Excise duty on new cars over £40,000 registered after 1st April just gone.
    Thank you David. They are in the market from September onward so I would be grateful of your continuing impressions over the next few months. Neither parent are "car" people so will rely on recommendations.
    If they are not car people then they probably should not be going for the faster 'S' versions of SUVs.
    Logically yes. However that has never stopped them in the past buying at the top end once the decision on the make and model was settled ....

Mrs JackW has the same weakness for high end personal tootsie mobility coverings .... :sunglasses:
    An off-the-wall suggestion for them, if they're not really car people but need to move a large family. Mercedes Viano - old fashioned "people carrier" rather than modern "SUV".
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980
    JackW said:

I remember being at Aberdeen airport and the flight was overbooked. They asked for volunteers. No-one budged. They asked again. No-one budged. They then said there was a payment of £42 to those who volunteered. I was nearly trampled to death in the rush.

But you got your £42 in the end .... :smile:

£21, he had a child's ticket
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

RobD said:

RobD said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/New-Landscape-Full-data-tables-March-2017.pdf

In the official tables - without cherry picking subsamples and making up a table to suit your narrative :

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/ALL-CHANGE-Lord-Ashcroft-Polls-April-2017.pdf

Ugh, whoever made that PDF needs to be shot.. or at least told how to make one without degrading image quality.
    It's been done in Word. Nuff said.
    That's no excuse :p
    Anyone dumb enough to use Word for something like that is too dumb to know how to get Word to preserve good image quality...
    Meh, Word is fine for things like that if you know what you are doing.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980
    TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

It's a Uk wide poll - only the naive would use 9% of the sample size as a basis for anything other than their own ignorance.
    LOL the subsample kings want to use England for how Scottish po;liticians are rated
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    edited April 2017

Mr. Mark, few days ago now but cheers for posting that interesting anecdote on Meatloaf. [I'd left before you posted it, hence my absence of a response at the time].

Last time I looked, yeah.
    You would do anything for love, but you won't do that?
    Finally, after many years of wondering, that song makes perfect sense.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

LOL the subsample kings want to use England for how Scottish po;liticians are rated
    Is Scotland too wee and too poor to commission a poll as extensive as Lord Ashcroft ?

• Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203

O/T

Good to see Don trolling the PB tories in this post. I wish he'd hang around to contribute to discussion.

However, I don't see LibDems as that likely to get involved in any coalitions in the near term. With either Labour or Tories. The only exception I would see as worthwhile would be on the basis of an agreement to progress electoral reform. No bullshit referenda, a straight agreement involving support in exchange for Lords Reform and the introduction of PR.

Yet more "Liberal" "Democrat" contempt for democracy.
    Yawn. If you say so...
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    TGOHF said:

OUT said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

Great figures for a Scottish nationalist politician in a UK wide poll.
    Look at the 90-100% segment - her figures are propped up by her cult members .
    Now now stop cherrypicking to suit your narrative.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Unless they have inherited a profitable pie works, they would be well advised to steer clear of a diesel. The congestion charges are going to be horrific. Perhaps look at hybrids.

There will be no congestion or indigestion charges within "profitable pie works" as hybrid ingredients outwith Auchentennach Fine Pies usual comestibles are banned.

Absolutely No LibDems Coalition Of Contents Winning Here !!

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    JackW said:

Unless they have inherited a profitable pie works, they would be well advised to steer clear of a diesel. The congestion charges are going to be horrific. Perhaps look at hybrids.

There will be no congestion or indigestion charges within "profitable pie works" as hybrid ingredients outwith Auchentennach Fine Pies usual comestibles are banned.

Diesels, SUV's and sandals are like matter and antimatter. Best kept apart...
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Meat Loaf; he is very insistent about the typography.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    edited April 2017

Cyclefree said:

But in other news, can anyone think why Barclays' boss Jes Staley shouldn't be sacked?

I wondered what your view would be on the Staley story. The write-ups of it insinuate there is more to it, but IMV it stinks. There'd need to be some really good extenuating circumstances to excuse him ...

There are a number of oddities about the story. The oddest is the apparent involvement of the US enforcement authorities in assisting one of the internal investigation groups to try and identify one of the whistleblowers. This is such a no-no - both for any internal investigation team let alone for the regulators, certainly in the UK (and it's contrary to the spirit of the UK rules) - that one can't help feeling that there is something we are not being told.

The other oddity is that nothing is said about the initial investigation - assuming there was one - into the original allegations. There is something missing here.

One final oddity: who advised him or led Mr Staley to believe that he could find out the identity of the whistleblower?

Internal investigation teams don't go externally to enforcement agencies without very good reason and authority. Who authorized this and why?

The biggest problem - and Barclays exemplifies it - is that lots of firms are very good on setting up the right processes and procedures but have an absolute blind spot about the psychology of whistleblowers and how best to deal with them, how to protect their confidentiality, the confidentiality of the investigation and how to deal with those under investigation. That takes experience and emotional intelligence and some courage and some understanding of people. What is needed - in addition to good processes - are good investigators, a point often overlooked in the frenzy to get something that looks good down on paper.

It is also worth bearing in mind that some whistleblowers can be malicious or have a personal grudge. It is amazing how many aggrieved former partners are out there willing to put the knife in. It doesn't make their allegations untrue of course. But it can also mean that someone can be the target of an unfounded accusation and the consequent investigation, which is - believe me - no fun and can have repercussions when / if they move jobs.

Without knowing all the facts I don't know whether Mr Staley was saint or sinner or a mixture of both. But there is more than him at fault here.

They could do with a really ace and independent Head of an Investigations (Whistleblowings included) Group...... :)
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

JackW said:

JackW said:

philiph said:

JackW said:

Meanwhile .... Perhaps I might garner an opinion or several from the collective knowledge of the PB petrol-heads.

Audi SQ7

Content Or Not Content ?

Will the good Lady JackW be able to get enough new shoes in the back after a trip to the shops?
    I offered a similar view and was met with a countenance that would have stopped Attila The Hun stone dead. It could be so much worse. Some months back Mrs JackW was transported in a Bentley Bentayga with an interior, she informed me, that matched several outfits. I fear she wasn't entirely being frivolous.

That said the SQ7 advice is for a relative of Mrs JackW with numerous young offspring.
    Just taken delivery of a Jaguar F Pace SUV 3 litre diesel. Excellent.

Admittedly a second slower than the Audi SQ7 at 6 secs 0-60 and 5mph slower at 150 mph but built in the Midlands.

Tried a Cayenne which is slightly bigger but does not drive as well as the Jaguar - and built in Volkswagen's Slovakia factory like the Audi SQ7.

Note there is an extra £300 pa Vehicle Excise duty on new cars over £40,000 registered after 1st April just gone.
    Thank you David. They are in the market from September onward so I would be grateful of your continuing impressions over the next few months. Neither parent are "car" people so will rely on recommendations.
    If they are not car people then they probably should not be going for the faster 'S' versions of SUVs.

https://www.lexus.co.uk/car-models/rx/rx-450h/#Introduction

Though SUV's are not for me.
    Hybrids tend to fail the third row of seats requirement, assuming they are looking for seven seats. The Q7 etron is very good, but max five seats.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

Is Scotland too wee and too poor to commission a poll as extensive as Lord Ashcroft ?

Who needs a poll to tell us what we already know. Ruth and Kez are trailing in Nicola's wake.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

An off-the-wall suggestion for them, if they're not really car people but need to move a large family. Mercedes Viano - old fashioned "people carrier" rather than modern "SUV".

Good lord @Sandpit I had to google that one. Er ....

Probably not. It appears like a well fitted van. Their vehicle also requires some off road capacity. They've had Range Rovers in the past and a Macan presently but another child looms as does the requirement for more seats !!

Thanks anyway.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031
    edited April 2017
    Cyclefree said:

There are a number of oddities about the story. The oddest is the apparent involvement of the US enforcement authorities in assisting one of the internal investigation groups to try and identify one of the whistleblowers. This is such a no-no - both for any internal investigation team let alone for the regulators, certainly in the UK (and it's contrary to the spirit of the UK rules) - that one can't help feeling that there is something we are not being told.

The other oddity is that nothing is said about the initial investigation - assuming there was one - into the original allegations. There is something missing here.

One final oddity: who advised him or led Mr Staley to believe that he could find out the identity of the whistleblower?

Internal investigation teams don't go externally to enforcement agencies without very good reason and authority. Who authorized this and why?

The biggest problem - and Barclays exemplifies it - is that lots of firms are very good on setting up the right processes and procedures but have an absolute blind spot about the psychology of whistleblowers and how best to deal with them, how to protect their confidentiality, the confidentiality of the investigation and how to deal with those under investigation. That takes experience and emotional intelligence and some courage and some understanding of people. What is needed - in addition to good processes - are good investigators, a point often overlooked in the frenzy to get something that looks good down on paper.

It is also worth bearing in mind that some whistleblowers can be malicious or have a personal grudge. It is amazing how many aggrieved former partners are out there willing to put the knife in. It doesn't make their allegations untrue of course. But it can also mean that someone can be the target of an unfounded accusation and the consequent investigation, which is - believe me - no fun and can have repercussions when / if they move jobs.

Without knowing all the facts I don't know whether Mr Staley was saint or sinner or a mixture of both. But there is more than him at fault here.

They could do with a really ace and independent Head of an Investigations (Whistleblowings included) Group...... :)

Thanks. I shall amend my view accordingly. ;)
  • Options
    JackW said:

Sandpit said:

Probably not. It appears like a well fitted van. Their vehicle also requires some off road capacity. They've had Range Rovers in the past and a Macan presently but another child looms as does the requirement for more seats !!

Thanks anyway.

If they're just after more room for a baby, why not just fit a roofrack? ;)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

A nice little piece of Peak Guardian here; the comments are a treat.

This week’s question:

My parents never got us Easter eggs as kids and it didn’t harm us. Now my wife says we have to buy our four-year-old daughter one, but I resent having to take part in the annual sugar-fest that is Easter. Am I alone in feeling this way? Should I stick to my guns?

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/apr/08/imho-why-buy-easter-chocolate-eggs-children

Bloody luxury. We never even got roast rat at Christmas.
  • Options

JackW said:

Diesels, SUV's and sandals are like matter and antimatter. Best kept apart...
    How many children do you fit in the sandals?
  • Options

JackW said:

Sandpit said:

Thanks anyway.

If they're just after more room for a baby, why not just fit a roofrack? ;)
    They're Conservatives so a roof rack seems superfluous, a mobile BBQ for the baby a more appropriate optional extra ....
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Thanks. I shall amend my view accordingly. ;)
    My experience of Barclays: good at talking / lots of change of personnel = not a good sign / a nest of vipers under the surface.

Mind you, the FCA is not much better, according to my sources. And as for the BoE...... dear oh dear!

Cultures don't get created overnight. Nor do bad cultures get changed overnight

Perhaps this is time to bring out again Cyclefree's 10 Stages of a Crisis and the 5 Behaviours We (well I) Always Find. It could end up being the Monopoly game de nos jours for the City......

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    OUT said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

Who needs a poll to tell us what we already know. Ruth and Kez are trailing in Nicola's wake.
    They are the Aberdeen and Sevco of Scottish politics, with Kez still in danger of being overtaken.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    What on earth is going on down in South Africa - I see Zuma has been playing the race card?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-39558207
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    isam said:
    How absolutely horrific. Hating people based on the sexuality is absolutely ridiculous.

• Options
    Fantastic - I've just discovered a local candidate in my area has been suspended for making Ken Livingstone esque comments (with explicit reference to Ken), only even more vulgar and directly offensive. That should spice things up.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited April 2017
    kle4 said:

Fantastic - I've just discovered a local candidate in my area has been suspended for making Ken Livingstone esque comments (with explicit reference to Ken), only even more vulgar and directly offensive. That should spice things up.

Which party? Inquiring minds need to know.

[or 'enquiring', perhaps?]
  • Options
    Anorak said:

kle4 said:

http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/15215832.Suspended_Labour_candidate_will_stand_despite_Nazi_and_ISIS_comments/
  • Options

isam said:
    How absolutely horrific. Hating people based on the sexuality is absolutely ridiculous.

Surely all you need to say is 'hating people is absolutely ridiculous.'
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

To answer your question - the Scottish Tories have been using both sub-samples and the recent Sky Data "Poll" in their council election literature !!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    philiph said:

isam said:

Is hating Nazis absolutely ridiculous?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    philiph said:

isam said:

In general, yes, although if someone is a complete arsehole who has done terrible things to you a level of hate might well be justified, but hatred on the basis of characteristics is always ridiculous, and this was a story about gap people, hence the particular emphasis here, I would assume.

If I see a story about a racially motivated attack, I would still believe hating people is wrong, even if my reaction would be 'hating people on the basis of race is wrong'.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, it doesn't look like Trump has gotten much of a bump in his approval rating post Syria strikes. CBS have shown 3% increase in approval, Rasmussen (unbelievably) don't show any improvement, and Gallup also doesn't show any improvement in his rating since the strikes as well.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_trump_job_approval-6179.html

CBS, and YouGov polls show that while most Americans support the strike, they feel Trump should get Congressional approval if he wants to take further action.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/poll-airstrikes-syria_us_58ea0331e4b00de14104006c

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/04/10/donald-trump-syria-airstrike-poll/
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    kle4 said:

Anorak said:

kle4 said:

http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/15215832.Suspended_Labour_candidate_will_stand_despite_Nazi_and_ISIS_comments/
    I think he actually out-bonkers Ken:

In one post Mr Couchman said he was "as critical of the Islamic State as I am of the notion of a Jewish State" while suggesting it was the "ZioNazi [Saudi and Israeli] Storm Troopers of IsraHell" that were using chemical weapons for ethnic cleansing."

Note that says 'notion', not 'nation'.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

kle4 said:

Anorak said:

kle4 said:

'In one post Mr Couchman said he was "as critical of the Islamic State as I am of the notion of a Jewish State" while suggesting it was the "ZioNazi [Saudi and Israeli] Storm Troopers of IsraHell" that were using chemical weapons for ethnic cleansing.'

Well I did say it was more vulgar and directly offensive. I imagine Ken might not appreciate the comparison of their two situations which he made.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

philiph said:

isam said:

In general, yes, although if someone is a complete arsehole who has done terrible things to you a level of hate might well be justified, but hatred on the basis of characteristics is always ridiculous, and this was a story about gap people, hence the particular emphasis here, I would assume.

If I see a story about a racially motivated attack, I would still believe hating people is wrong, even if my reaction would be 'hating people on the basis of race is wrong'.
    This.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    Theresa May's taken time out of her busy schedule of fashion magazine interviews to tell us about her plan for the precious union.

https://twitter.com/theresa_may/status/851451171730591745
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    kle4 said:

Well I did say it was more vulgar and directly offensive. I imagine Ken might not appreciate the comparison of their two situations which he made.

You did say that, indeed. How these people keep getting put forward for public office is beyond me. And that includes candidates from all major parties.
  • Options

Theresa May's taken time out of her busy schedule of fashion magazine interviews to tell us about her plan for the precious union.

twitter.com/theresa_may/status/851451171730591745

Wasn't this on the PPB earlier?
  • Options
    edited April 2017

philiph said:

isam said:

In so much as in a utopian world without hate they wouldn't be Nazi, so there would be no reason to hate them.

I'm not sure if despise and pity isn't equally effective
  • Options

philiph said:

isam said:

I imagine some of them were a bit dim or very dim or pressured into joining the party. If you permit hatred of all members of any given class x you open the door to butthurt, toy-out-of-prammy blanket hatred of Leave voters.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

kle4 said:

Anorak said:

kle4 said:

Anorak said:

kle4 said:

'In one post Mr Couchman said he was "as critical of the Islamic State as I am of the notion of a Jewish State" while suggesting it was the "ZioNazi [Saudi and Israeli] Storm Troopers of IsraHell" that were using chemical weapons for ethnic cleansing.'

You did say that, indeed. How these people keep getting put forward for public office is beyond me. And that includes candidates from all major parties.
    At local level it would appear he's been elected before, they don't have the resources to scour every person who offers to stand for them in no hope areas (though really all parties even at local level should have someone do a quick run through any social media accounts), it's probably easy to slip through.

Where it happens multiple times in the same area, then you know there's a real problem.
  • Options

kle4 said:

philiph said:

isam said:

This.
    Well, apart from my reference to 'gap people' rather than gay people.

Gap people can get stuffed.
  • Options

If you didn't know who TM was you might think she was actually the leader of the Labour Party !!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

philiph said:

isam said:

Genius typo/autocorrect: I think prejudice against gap people is entirely justified.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

philiph said:

isam said:

This.

They are literally worse than Hitler.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Shooting at an elementary school in California - multiple people shot
  • Options
    calum said:

If you didn't know who TM was you might think she was actually the leader of the Labour Party !!
    Tanks, lawn, etc.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    RobD said:

Possibly - I've only just seen it.

She says she wants a welfare system that tackles the 'historic injustices of racial and gender discrimination'. Does she have any policies to back that up?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    kle4 said:

At local level it would appear he's been elected before, they don't have the resources to scour every person who offers to stand for them in no hope areas (though really all parties even at local level should have someone do a quick run through any social media accounts), it's probably easy to slip through.

Where it happens multiple times in the same area, then you know there's a real problem.

5 minutes checking social media. 1% of the time needed to fill out the various forms and pass through the various approval committees no doubt. Easy for me to say from the comfort of my armchair, obviously, but at a time where Labour is being pilloried for antisemitism, you'd have thought they'd have upped their game.
  • Options

RobD said:

She says she wants a welfare system that tackles the 'historic injustices of racial and gender discrimination'. Does she have any policies to back that up?
    Queen's speech coming up in May.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

philiph said:

isam said:

This.

They are literally worse than Hitler.
    They're better than H&M people, but not as good as Amanda Wakeley people.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Genes-tested benefits on the cards? :)
  • Options

RobD said:

Genuine question this: is this the proper role of a welfare system?

Shouldn't welfare be there to assist those who are in need of help so that they can get themselves into a position where they no longer need help?

Race/gender discrimination is surely something to be tackled by the law and other effective action.

• Options
    Anorak said:

kle4 said:

5 minutes checking social media. 1% of the time needed to fill out the various forms and pass through the various approval committees no doubt. Easy for me to say from the comfort of my armchair, obviously, but at a time where Labour is being pilloried for antisemitism, you'd have thought they'd have upped their game.
    No, it's ok, I found a page where he says this:

I am a Musician, a Counsellor / Therapist and Advocate. I often use my music to convey an important social or political message. I am Anti-Abuse of all kinds and a 'Human Rights' Campaigner. My primary concern is with the Institutional & Professional Abuses of power; Intellectual Ignorance; Unethical Behaviour, Blinkered Thinking; Incompetence; Delusional Judgements; Poor Training; Poor ethical Adherence; Flawed Thinking; Academic Short-sightedness.

Well, he probably won't get picked up by Guido at least.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    The idea Labour could win in 2020 with Corbyn is barking mad.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Genes-tested benefits on the cards? :)
    Probably not, but it is the first Queen's speech of her government, so would make sense such policies would feature there.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Anorak said:

kle4 said:

Don't forget there was an independent Review that concluded there wasn't a problem. Members are surely entitled to believe that Review's conclusion?
  • Options
    RobD said:

calum said:

Tanks, lawn, etc.
    Interventionist govt !

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/10/freed-eus-shackles-brexit-britain-can-rekindle-regions/
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
    AndyJS said:

The idea Labour could win in 2020 with Corbyn is barking mad.

The question, though, is whether you have two superfluous words in that sentence?
  • Options
    Anorak said:

kle4 said:

You would. If you assumed that (a) they accept they have a problem; (b) understand that anti-Semitism is a problem; and (c) really want to do something about it.

I'm not at all sure that (a) and (b) can be said about the current Labour party - or its Corbynite leadership, at any event. And if (a) and (b) are missing, it's not surprising that (c) is not happening effectively.

Labour certainly want to appear as if they're doing something about the criticisms they face about allegations of anti-Semitism. But that's a very different thing.

http://www.thetower.org/article/britains-labour-party-tries-to-whitewash-its-anti-semitism/

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

Shouldn't welfare be there to assist those who are in need of help so that they can get themselves into a position where they no longer need help?

Race/gender discrimination is surely something to be tackled by the law and other effective action.
    If the purpose of welfare is to reduce inequality, then yes. If it's a safety net to prevent destitution, then no.

You're proposing the latter interpretation. Others would endorse the former.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Anorak said:

kle4 said:

Don't forget there was an independent Review that concluded there wasn't a problem. Members are surely entitled to believe that Review's conclusion?
    Ah, yes. You've nailed down the problem. No problem, so nothing to look for.

Just like gays in Chechnya. "There aren't any, so how can we be detaining and torturing them?"
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Talking of cars, I just got nearly run over by one of those new electric BMWs. They're so quiet - basically silent - you have no warning they're coming. Apparently this is a real safety issue.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3011957/Nearly-silent-electric-hybrid-cars-risk-pedestrians-Walkers-40-likely-involved-accident.html

It also occurred to me that in 10-15 years all cars will be electric. This will transform our cities, acoustically. We are so used to the constant drone of traffic, the endless grumble of the internal combustion engine. It's very hard to imagine life without it, in the background.

Yet that is about to happen. A new silence beckons.

Soon all you will hear are those bastards with extremely loud motorbikes.. grumble grumble...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

philiph said:

isam said:

This.

I don't know anyone who shops at Gap. I also can't remember the last time I last went in a Gap store.

@williamglenn H&M is brilliant. 50% of wardrobe is basically H&M stuff.

All the other stores don't compare - NEXT has gone down in recent years, River Island too. Zara is way too expensive.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Anorak said:

kle4 said:

That rather depends on what you understand by the word "independent".

• Options
    SeanT said:

Talking of cars, I just got nearly run over by one of those new electric BMWs. They're so quiet - basically silent - you have no warning they're coming. Apparently this is a real safety issue.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3011957/Nearly-silent-electric-hybrid-cars-risk-pedestrians-Walkers-40-likely-involved-accident.html

It also occurred to me that in 10-15 years all cars will be electric. This will transform our cities, acoustically. We are so used to the constant drone of traffic, the endless grumble of the internal combustion engine. It's very hard to imagine life without it, in the background.

Few people will notice. Everyone walks around with earphones in these days.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

No it isn't. The implication is that some needy individuals will be treated worse than other needy individuals because they come from groups that are deemed to be privileged in aggregate.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

They'll be fitted with mandatory sirens, for safety.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

SeanT said:

Few people will notice. Everyone walks around with earphones in these days.
    Given the propensity for terrorists to use trucks to ram people, I've stopped doing that while walking about.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,955
    Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

Out of interest, exactly how many benefits are there that are available to white men that aren't available to ethnic minority women?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786
    kle4 said:

Anorak said:

kle4 said:

I am a Musician, a Counsellor / Therapist and Advocate. I often use my music to convey an important social or political message. I am Anti-Abuse of all kinds and a 'Human Rights' Campaigner. My primary concern is with the Institutional & Professional Abuses of power; Intellectual Ignorance; Unethical Behaviour, Blinkered Thinking; Incompetence; Delusional Judgements; Poor Training; Poor ethical Adherence; Flawed Thinking; Academic Short-sightedness.

Some real person actually said (or wrote) this?
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

Out of interest, exactly how many benefits are there that are available to white men that aren't available to ethnic minority women?
    She's talking about what she wants, not what we already have. So I'd say there are no race-specific benefits.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Anorak said:

kle4 said:

Check out the 'gazette' link down thread. You can see all the other things he's said. Screw loose.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

If the purpose of welfare is to reduce inequality, then yes. If it's a safety net to prevent destitution, then no.

Shouldn't that question be asked first? What is the purpose of the welfare system? How to achieve that purpose? How to pay for it?

After all, we've morphed from the original intention to this without any real debate just by politicians tackling lots of extra goodies on. Now they may be good things to tackle: I'm all in favour of dealing with racial and gender discrimination, for instance. But is a welfare system the right way of dealing with such issues?

How to tackle such discrimination is the question?

And what is meant by "historic" discrimination?

It's the unthinking assumptions and sloppy language I'm challenging.

• Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    kyf_100 said:

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

That's backwards.

Welfare is about providing those who need it. Because of historic injustice, that's disproportionately going to be women and ethnic minorities, when compared to the general population.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Anorak said:

kle4 said:

All here.

http://www.thunderstorm-entertainment.com/
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

AnneJGP said:

Anorak said:

kle4 said:

That rather depends on what you understand by the word "independent".

Indeed it does. :smile:
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    calum said:

Her words are meant for one constituency, her actions appear to be for another. How long before the first lot notice?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Anorak said:

SeanT said:

Like natural gas having a 'gas smell' added in.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

That's backwards.

Welfare is about providing those who need it. Because of historic injustice, that's disproportionately going to be women and ethnic minorities, when compared to the general population.
    Try telling that to an unemployed former steel worker in Hartlepool.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Anorak said:

SeanT said:

Yep. There's lots of research going into what the sound should be, how loud, and how directional. I'll see if I can find a linky.

Still, if it stops the w@nkers who drive around without the silencers in their exhausts ...

Edit:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_vehicle_warning_sounds
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786
    kle4 said:

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Anorak said:

kle4 said:

All here.

Not all there at all I'd suggest!
  • Options
    Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Anorak said:

kle4 said:

All here.

Not all there at all I'd suggest!
    Fair point.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Cyclefree said:

Anorak said:

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

Shouldn't that question be asked first? What is the purpose of the welfare system? How to achieve that purpose? How to pay for it?

After all, we've morphed from the original intention to this without any real debate just by politicians tackling lots of extra goodies on. Now they may be good things to tackle: I'm all in favour of dealing with racial and gender discrimination, for instance. But is a welfare system the right way of dealing with such issues?

In principle, I have no objection to things being re-purposed. Whether that was the right decision for the welfare system is another question, but it has undoubtedly moved so far from its original remit as to be unrecognisable.

Your question on How To Achieve It and Who Pays are, of course, far from the politicians mind when they dream-up their latest vote-winning wheeze. Evidence-based policy making was a slogan that was doomed to fail when faced with the civil service and the ministerial merry-go-round. [the answer to the second question is of course 'everyone']

Not sure why you take exception to "historic", unless you'd like either a more specific time-band or the word "historical" in its stead.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

That's backwards.

what would I be telling him? that welfare is for him... and some other people? doesn't he know that already?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Cyclefree said:

Anorak said:

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

Few (if any) would support direct discrimination so that some benefits were only payable to certain groups*. I suspect what is meant is to tackle indirect discrimination. For example May plans to site her new Grammar schools in deprived areas and specify that a high percentage are on free school meals. In practice this means that these new Grammar schools are going to over-recruit from children of single mothers, or second generation migrants.

A case could be made that the new restrictions on tax credits to only two children indirectly discriminates against Muslims, Catholics and Travellers, all of whom have bigger than average families. A welfare system promoting gender and ethnic equality, might repeal this provision.

*When I lived in NZ the government did precisely this. Maori and Pacific Islanders were entitled to University grants that Pakekha (literally "settlers") were not. The purpose was to right historic wrongs. I think some Indian states do this too to benefit Dalits and scheduled castes.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

That's backwards.

what would I be telling him? that welfare is for him... and some other people? doesn't he know that already?
    Try telling him that his benefit is being cut, but it's OK, because that money is being used to tackle historic racial and gender discrimination.

I have a cup of warm sick handy if you'd like to ask him to drink that, too.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Anorak said:

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

A case could be made that the new restrictions on tax credits to only two children indirectly discriminates against Muslims, Catholics and Travellers, all of whom have bigger than average families. A welfare system promoting gender and ethnic equality, might repeal this provision.

That's a knock against it then.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    SeanT said:

Anorak said:

SeanT said:

Yep. There's lots of research going into what the sound should be, how loud, and how directional. I'll see if I can find a linky.

Still, if it stops the w@nkers who drive around without the silencers in their exhausts ...

Edit:
    Fascinating. Streets of directionally chiming electro-cars.

Why can't they play a directional snatch of Mozart?
    It would seem simpler for them to play simulated engine noise. You could have a selection dial allowing your Volkswagen Butterfly to sound like a Ferrari, or a tractor, or a lawn mower.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Anorak said:

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

That's a knock against it then.

Yeah, like the Grammar schools, I do not expect the implementation to match the rhetoric
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Many people want very explicit discrimination within the welfare system so that it prioritises the twin values of contribution and birthright.

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    SeanT said:

I've had that experience too (of getting almost run over).
    The implications of electric cars are fascinating in many respects, and are being considered by some clever people. Living close to the M60, I'm hoping it will have a positive impact for me, though I suspect at 70mph and at 400 yards away tire noise is more significant than engine noise.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Cyclefree said:

Anorak said:

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

In principle, I have no objection to things being re-purposed. Whether that was the right decision for the welfare system is another question, but it has undoubtedly moved so far from its original remit as to be unrecognisable.

Your question on How To Achieve It and Who Pays are, of course, far from the politicians mind when they dream-up their latest vote-winning wheeze. Evidence-based policy making was a slogan that was doomed to fail when faced with the civil service and the ministerial merry-go-round. [the answer to the second question is of course 'everyone']

Not sure why you take exception to "historic", unless you'd like either a more specific time-band or the word "historical" in its stead.
    Women used to be discriminated against in the past e.g. being made to leave certain Civil Service jobs when they got married.

I don't see why that is relevant now when determining the role of women in the public sector or indeed whether or not to promote a particular woman.

If I have not suffered any discrimination why should I benefit just because I'm the same sex as my grandmother who was discriminated against, for instance?

That's what I mean when I say I don't understand what the meaning of "historic" is in this context.

I also find it bizarre that we avoid dealing with the one characteristic which, probably more than any other, determines how well you do in our country: class.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,312
    edited April 2017
    "Is it true they call it Welfare because it's well fair?" - Ali G.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Cyclefree said:

*snipped for length*
    Women used to be discriminated against in the past e.g. being made to leave certain Civil Service jobs when they got married.

I don't see why that is relevant now when determining the role of women in the public sector or indeed whether or not to promote a particular woman.

If I have not suffered any discrimination why should I benefit just because I'm the same sex as my grandmother who was discriminated against, for instance?

That's what I mean when I say I don't understand what the meaning of "historic" is in this context.

I also find it bizarre that we avoid dealing with the one characteristic which, probably more than any other, determines how well you do in our country: class.

"Women used to be discriminated against in the past".

Even as a benighted man I can see that gender discrimination is still widespread and indeed endemic in certain sectors. My wife works in financial services and is subject to (or hears in passing) all sorts of misogynistic crap. And that's a sector with a very, very highly educated workforce.

Not sure I've addressed your point very well, I'm afraid (and I do understand what you're saying). Anyway, dinner beckons - cooked by me :)
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Anorak said:

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

Shouldn't that question be asked first? What is

Few (if any) would support direct discrimination so that some benefits were only payable to certain groups*. I suspect what is meant is to tackle indirect discrimination. For example May plans to site her new Grammar schools in deprived areas and specify that a high percentage are on free school meals. In practice this means that these new Grammar schools are going to over-recruit from children of single mothers, or second generation migrants.

*When I lived in NZ the government did precisely this. Maori and Pacific Islanders were entitled to University grants that Pakekha (literally "settlers") were not. The purpose was to right historic wrongs. I think some Indian states do this too to benefit Dalits and scheduled castes.
    Direct discrimination is frequently justified by reference to historic wrongs. Afrikaaners frequently justified apartheid by reference to wrongs suffered at British hands; African nationalists justified ill-treatment of Asians by reference to past wrongs; so do Malays justify their treatment of Chinese.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Anorak said:

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

And such a case is bollocks on stilts. Being Catholic or Muslim is a choice. Having children is a choice. If you choose to have lots of children, good for you. But your religious or racial yearnings for a large family should not be the deciding factor for public policy.

Just because one group may be affected by a policy more than another does not mean that it is discrimination which ought to be outlawed. You may as well say that any policy which pays for children is indirect discrimination against the childless.

We discriminate - in the sense of making choices - all the time. As we should. And as governments should. To govern is to choose, as some Labour Poo-Bah once said.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

SeanT said:

Anorak said:

SeanT said:

Edit:
    Fascinating. Streets of directionally chiming electro-cars.

Why can't they play a directional snatch of Mozart?
    It would seem simpler for them to play simulated engine noise. You could have a selection dial allowing your Volkswagen Butterfly to sound like a Ferrari, or a tractor, or a lawn mower.
    Couldn't people just use their, I don't know, eyes? Instead of having bloody Vivaldi or Noddy-poop-poop car music being played down our streets.

This discussion has been closed.