Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » BREAKING: Trump orders cruise missile attack on Syria followin

Comments

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,993
    No good options on Syria I am afraid. However, strange as it may seem, this morning's events are somewhat re-assuring. Trump has shown himself to be neither a Russian stooge, nor likely to go wildly over the top and start WW3. In fact these are the actions of a conventional US President as others have noted.
    Still not much sign of a long-term solution emerging, which means more suffering for the Syrian people unfortunately.
  • Options
    Some of Trump’s biggest supporters are furious about his strikes in Syria

http://www.vox.com/2017/4/6/15215376/alt-right-trump-syria
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    Essexit said:

Cyclefree said:

Very sad that the Romanian National, Andrea Cristea, has died of her injuries in the Westminster attack. The family agreed to withdraw her life support today.

Oh that is sad. Her fiancé was planning to propose to her.

I realise this might not be the most appropriate time for pedantry, but surely he wasn't her fiancé in that case?
    You're right: not the most appropriate time for pedantry.

I just feel for a man who has lost the woman he loves and in such an appalling way. Like the American couple on the last day of their holiday to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary.

And last night a father in Syria weeping over his two babies.

Real lives shattered by evil. It breaks your heart

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @DominicWaghorn: Russian defence ministry says plans afoot to strengthen air defences at Syrian airbases.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

The alt-right crowd are in for a tough few years i think... Reality is coming and they aren't going to like it.
  • Options
    @MrHarryCole: Labour Party backbench defence committee: "The US action overnight was proportionate and should have Labour's full support."

The PLP attempting to box Corbyn in
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,941
    rkrkrk said:

The alt-right crowd are in for a tough few years i think... Reality is coming and they aren't going to like it.

Yet again, the alt-right and the far left are singing from the same hymn book.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,867
    Nige will find his "line" to The Donald gets cut off very quickly if he makes many more tweets like that... ;)
  • Options

I seem to recall a recent & relatively widely held PB view that we should pragmatically support Assad/Putin in a crusade against the slavering fascists of Isis and the Wahhabites. I'm assuming this is now a deceased duck?

Yep, I was wondering that.

There are a number of topics on which i think pb.com community is very knowledgeable. Defense procurement failures, train journeys on holiday, F1, by-elections, polling etc... Middle East foreign policy isn't one of them.
  • Options
    EU's supporting the strikes and the EU *IS* Germany...
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,917
    Roger said:

Has anyone asked the vital question; What is the motivation for Assad using chemical weapons in a sparsely populated area where there were more children than male adults? It sounds like a propaganda exercise. I would think it reasonably easy to establish the facts beyond "it just seems very likely" which is Michael Farron's anwer to the question "Where's the proof?"

If this was a pre-warned one-off strike to minimise casualties and send a message that chemical weapons won't be tolerated then I can go along with it.

I am still mystified as to why Syria would do this right now. Assad (with Putin's support) has the situation under control and pretty much have the field to themselves and have a free hand to act. I can't see why they would set out to inflame world opinion at this point by using chemical weapons. It doesn't quite add up to me. (God perhaps I'm morphing into Plato and I'll be spending the rest of my life on conspiracy alt-right websites!)
  • Options
    @SebastianEPayne: Still nothing from Jeremy Corbyn on the Syria air strikes. Is it a lieu day?

Presumably Corbyn is trying to come up with a form of words that doesn't make him look like a complete asshat. The question now though is, what form of words could make him look less of an asshat than not making a statement of any sort for this length of time?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    In other news, it looks like Boris's Garden Bridge is going to be scrapped. This is not a good look for him:
    https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/850283814748344321
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    F1 https://twitter.com/andrewbensonf1/status/850257742673526784

If that stands, there may be no race at all.
  • Options
    Trump is drawing himself back into the US's traditional stances on both NATO and the EU. Swivel-eyed Atlanticists will not be pleased.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    France and Germany issued a joint statement saying that Bashar al-Assad, the Syrian president "bears full responsibility" for the precision strike which used sea-launched cruise missiles to destroy a Syrian airbase.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/07/us-air-strike-syria-world-reacted-donald-trumps-decision-intervene/
  • Options
    Roger said:

Has anyone asked the vital question; What is the motivation for Assad using chemical weapons in a sparsely populated area where there were more children than male adults? It sounds like a propaganda exercise. I would think it reasonably easy to establish the facts beyond "it just seems very likely" which is Michael Farron's anwer to the question "Where's the proof?"

Why would it be reasonably easy to establish the facts in a war zone? I'd have thought Syria is one of the hardest places in the world right now to work out what is really happening....
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    OllyT said:

Roger said:

If this was a pre-warned one-off strike to minimise casualties and send a message that chemical weapons won't be tolerated then I can go along with it.

I am still mystified as to why Syria would do this right now. Assad (with Putin's support) has the situation under control and pretty much have the field to themselves and have a free hand to act. I can't see why they would set out to inflame world opinion at this point by using chemical weapons. It doesn't quite add up to me. (God perhaps I'm morphing into Plato and I'll be spending the rest of my life on conspiracy alt-right websites!)
    I may be over analysing this but as Assad has absolutely NO regard for the rebels, he may have executed this strike to test Trump's mettle, with or without Putin's connivance.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965
    Doesn't seem to have disrupted the war much, Syrian army pushing into Barzeh (Non ISIS, Al Jihadi of some description opponents)
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969

Russia's essentially irrelevant. The real issue's Iran.

Why? Because Russia does not have the power in Syria to enforce any agreement. Iran does (or at least a heck of a lot more power).

Russia's only relevant when it comes to its own small interests in Syria. Guarantee those and they'll be happy.

Iran's a very different matter.

Let me ask you a question: what's your solution for Syria?

Accept that Russia (and Iran as you mention) are the powerbrokers there. They will have the final say in who succeeds Assad and the US and Europe will have to accept it.

Be explicit in warning Saudi Arabia (who, after Assad, bear the largest amount of responsibility for the start of the war) that we will no longer tolerate their interference in other countries in the region. Now is the time to do this when Western reliability on Saudi oil is waning or even ending. Stop treating Saudi like a regional ally and start treating them like the problem.

Forget the territorial integrity of Syria. It is an artificial construct anyway. Allow the Kurds to break away and guarantee their existence as a separate state carved from Syria and Iraq on the condition they do not threaten the geographic integrity of Turkey. Turkey won't like it and may well pull out of NATO but at the moment they are as much of a liability as they are an asset.
    I find it funny that you mention Iran once, and write a long paragraph on Saudi. Forget Saudi in this case: Iran's the player.

Your last paragraph has been my position since before the last vote. It'd cause large population movements, but there have been those anyway during the war. Splitting up Syria might be the least-worst option. There are obvious difficulties: for one, it has to be the choice of the population, and I'm unsure how you freely and fairly do that when the population has scattered.

I also said that if we did nothing the conflict would spread and destabilise the region. And it has.
    Iran was not the driving force behind the revolt against Assad, Saudi Arabia was. This is as much a religious war between the Wahhabi Saudi's and the Alawite Syrian regime as it is anything else. Saudi has far more to answer for in this war than Iran.
  • Options

Trump is drawing himself back into the US's traditional stances on both NATO and the EU. Swivel-eyed Atlanticists will not be pleased.

Hmm... Let's see. I think you might be calling that too early.
  • Options
    Milo calls Donald Trump Daddy?

Ok, I just went to the scary visual place.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883
    Back to more mundane (or should that be fridane) matters...

Looking through the Surrey nominations, full slates for both the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats - Labour are standing in all bar 6 or 7 divisions (the rural ones). Greens and UKIP standing roughly 60 candidates each. After that there are 30 or so Independents (including the sitting RA Councillors in Epsom and elsewhere).

A number of seats are five corner battles with Con, Lab, LD, UKIP and Green. I note no UKIP candidates in Guildford but well represented elsewhere.

Probably already been mentioned but I believe the first time the LDs have contested every seat in Cornwall. In the past, pro-LD Independents have not been opposed but not this time. The LDs need 18 or 19 gains to take overall control - I think that's a big ask. Of the 121 or so seats in Cornwall, 107 are held by the LDs, Conservatives and Independents so taking control isn't just about scooping up UKIP seats but taking Con and Ind seats as well.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,917
    Blue_rog said:

OllyT said:

Roger said:

I may be over analysing this but as Assad has absolutely NO regard for the rebels, he may have executed this strike to test Trump's mettle, with or without Putin's connivance.
    That's a plausible expianation but as the west is pretty much letting Assad get on with it it was a huge and essentially unnecessary risk to take.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    So I guess Trump is off Putin's Christmas card list.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

I seem to recall a recent & relatively widely held PB view that we should pragmatically support Assad/Putin in a crusade against the slavering fascists of Isis and the Wahhabites. I'm assuming this is now a deceased duck?

There are a number of topics on which i think pb.com community is very knowledgeable. Defense procurement failures, train journeys on holiday, F1, by-elections, polling etc... Middle East foreign policy isn't one of them.
    There is, frankly, no good answer to the Middle East which has been a mess for most of the last and the previous century, if not longer.

The place itself is beautiful. The vegetation and wildlife are spectacular.

Not sure about any of the rest. I'm not at all convinced that having oil has done it any good either. Since starting again and populating the place with people who are not certifiable loons is not an option, not sure what can be done.
  • Options
    Perhaps they are waiting for some jam to set first.
  • Options
    Francois Hollande, the out-going French president, said the strikes were exactly what France had wanted after the 2013 chemical weapons attack at Ghouta that killed at least 280 people, but were scotched by a vacillating Barack Obama and a 'no' vote in the British parliament.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/07/us-air-strike-syria-world-reacted-donald-trumps-decision-intervene/
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

or for Ken's input !
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,916
    I'm guessing Corbyn's statement will be - Labour regrets violence in all its form, and hopes all sides can talk for peace.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,668

rkrkrk said:

I've been following Plato's twitter to see what the views are of Trump supporters so today was a good day to see how this was handled. There are links to other's comments every few minutes and over the last few days it has been focused on how the gas strike wasn't the Syrian regime; what is in it for them? However this soon moved on to - it didn't happen; its all faked.

Obviously the strike last night threw that view into turmoil. It evolved into Trump is playing a 'Chess game', out manoeuvring his opponents. Now they seem generally to be behind it, even though 24 hours ago it wasn't the Syrian Regime and then it didn't happen anyway.

Re Infowars - Did anyone listen to the R4 documentary on the Sandy Hook massacre conspiracy and how many of the parents are being treated by the conspiracy theorists now?
  • Options
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

rkrkrk said:

There is, frankly, no good answer to the Middle East which has been a mess for most of the last and the previous century, if not longer.

Not sure about any of the rest. I'm not at all convinced that having oil has done it any good either. Since starting again and populating the place with people who are not certifiable loons is not an option, not sure what can be done.
    Yep i agree. If ever there were a topic to feel humble about... And accept outsiders might not fully understand... It's middle East foreign policy. I'm still confident the Iraq war was a bad idea, and feel the gulf war was a good one... But other than that.... Feel very uncertain.
  • Options
    calum said:

or for Ken's input !
    So the statement will read....

Something something something Hitler, Hitler something, Hitler, Hitler, something, Hitler, Hitler, Hitler, Hitler..
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,993
    Cyclefree said:

rkrkrk said:

Agree with this. However, generations of conflict can turn the most moderate into certifiable loons. Our own Reformation shows that.
  • Options
    Lets hope the taste goes back to being less sickly...
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Hmm... Let's see. I think you might be calling that too early.

He was very positive about the EU in a recent interview:

https://www.euractiv.com/section/global-europe/news/trump-hails-eu-for-getting-their-act-together-in-face-of-brexit/

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,875
    Cyclefree said:

rkrkrk said:

What do you do when there are no good sides to support, just varying degrees of evil?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

rkrkrk said:

The middle east is a cesspit not because it is awash in the devil's excrement but because it is awash with a certain religion. And hosts the civil war raging within that religion.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Corbyn and Milne are arranging a bagful of African dates into the shape of a hammer and sickle.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    kjh said:

rkrkrk said:

I've been following Plato's twitter to see what the views are of Trump supporters so today was a good day to see how this was handled. There are links to other's comments every few minutes and over the last few days it has been focused on how the gas strike wasn't the Syrian regime; what is in it for them? However this soon moved on to - it didn't happen; its all faked.

Obviously the strike last night threw that view into turmoil. It evolved into Trump is playing a 'Chess game', out manoeuvring his opponents. Now they seem generally to be behind it, even though 24 hours ago it wasn't the Syrian Regime and then it didn't happen anyway.

Re Infowars - Did anyone listen to the R4 documentary on the Sandy Hook massacre conspiracy and how many of the parents are being treated by the conspiracy theorists now?
    I didn't hear that one but a recent BBC TV programme on Turkey featured praise for Erdogan's generosity to the refugees fleeing Syria. The more cynical analysis went as follows ... he may hope that they never go home but become Turkish citizens and bolster his majority in future elections.

It made me think ... if Erdogan wants to become the strong man of a semi-Islamic republic and is planning to become both 'president' and 'prime minister', with a token 'parliament' giving him a permanent majority of 100, does NATO allow dictatorships? The EU doesn't.
  • Options
    Given Cadbury's hatred for British Judeo-Christian culture and the company's pandering to extreme Moslem terrorism, do we want it back?

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,916
    So corbyn fears an escalation. Russia being involved to date just fine.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Right, I've reached a conclusion.

I'm in support of the air strikes, the red line on chemical weaponry needs to be upheld.

I'm reserving judgement on any possible further escalation - except against ISIS... that task may well have been made more difficult with a possible Russia relation breakdown. But that is an unavoidable follow on.

Assad, although part of the problem - like McGuinness may well end up being part of the solution still.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Blue_rog said:

OllyT said:

Roger said:

That's a plausible expianation but as the west is pretty much letting Assad get on with it it was a huge and essentially unnecessary risk to take.
    But if Trump had sat on his hands it would have coloured his presidency differently. As I said I may be over analysing this and it could have just been Assad being a mad dictator who thinks he can do anything he likes.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    Cyclefree said:

rkrkrk said:

Having spent lots of time in the region I can confirm (if it ever needed saying) that the vast majority of people living there are not loons, certifiable or otherwise. At least no more than those living in Paris or Manchester or Hopewell, Virginia.

Even the fairly religious ones don't want to hurt their neighbours or fellow countrymen. There is a reason we call the extremists, extremist. It is because they are not the norm. Too many people seem to forget that when looking at the region from the outside, especially the vast majority whose nearest encounter is the duty free at Dubai or the beach at Sharm el Sheikh.
  • Options

Given Cadbury's hatred for British Judeo-Christian culture and the company's pandering to extreme Moslem terrorism, do we want it back?

Blimey! I must have missed this. When did Cadburys start pandering to extreme Moslem terrorism? Are there self-exploding eggs on WH Smiths' shelves?

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

I didn't hear that one but a recent BBC TV programme on Turkey featured praise for Erdogan's generosity to the refugees fleeing Syria. The more cynical analysis went as follows ... he may hope that they never go home but become Turkish citizens and bolster his majority in future elections.

It made me think ... if Erdogan wants to become the strong man of a semi-Islamic republic and is planning to become both 'president' and 'prime minister', with a token 'parliament' giving him a permanent majority of 100, does NATO allow dictatorships? The EU doesn't.

On the NATO point, no. Portugal and Greece were both members of NATO while being under a dictator.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Blimey! I must have missed this. When did Cadburys start pandering to extreme Moslem terrorism? Are there self-exploding eggs on WH Smiths' shelves?

They hate Easter.

• Options
    Mr Corbyn takes a glass of Stop the War Lite. Or is it Diet Stop the War?
  • Options
    @PaulBrandITV: Labour's leader and Deputy Leader at odds over US air strikes. Once again, Labour has two different policies on one issue.
  • Options
    What will China (the protector of North Korea) do now? Trump has demonstrated he is prepared to use force, and he has threatened to act against North Korea.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Cyclefree said:

Our Prime Minister condemned Cadbury's for allegedly stopping use of the word 'Easter' in relation to Easter Eggs.
  • Options

So I guess Trump is off Putin's Christmas card list.

So much for Trump being under Putin's thumb!
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Cyclefree said:

They hate Easter.

No, they made a decision to make more money by appealing to non-religious people. They themselves admitted it!
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Cyclefree said:

Our Prime Minister condemned Cadbury's for allegedly stopping use of the word 'Easter' in relation to Easter Eggs.
    I'm guessing Cyclefree was talking about the extremist terrorist bit.
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107
    Imagine if Corbyn had been Prime Minister in 1939
  • Options
    Fenster said:

Corbyn and Milne are arranging a bagful of African dates into the shape of a hammer and sickle.
    They were going to use dominoes, but Abbot objected to the white spots on black dominoes
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    This *might* be the end of Jezza!

(It's been fun)

:(
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    So - What will Assad pay more attention to with regards to acceptable conduct during the war ?
    His planes getting destroyed, or a Judge lead inquiry ?
  • Options
    Mr. Gin, lies! Chairman Corbyn goes from strength to strength!

Is China neutral over this strike? Just curious.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Mr. Gin, lies! Chairman Corbyn goes from strength to strength!

Is China neutral over this strike? Just curious.

China has said use of chemical weapons is unacceptable by any country.

It also seems to have vetoed action against said weapons in the past though.

"Syria should be solved by peaceful means"...

Neutral in my opinion.
  • Options
    I think somebody on here described Corbyn as an unpopular populist the other day...that statement is perfect unpopular populist positioning.
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107
    Pulpstar said:

So - What will Assad pay more attention to with regards to acceptable conduct during the war ?

Corbyn will tell him he's been a very naughty boy
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, but no comment on Trump's response?

I appreciate China has bigger issues to handle on the world stage. Like sorting out the smog so the Grand Prix can go ahead.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Cyclefree said:

rkrkrk said:

Having spent lots of time in the region I can confirm (if it ever needed saying) that the vast majority of people living there are not loons, certifiable or otherwise. At least no more than those living in Paris or Manchester or Hopewell, Virginia.

Even the fairly religious ones don't want to hurt their neighbours or fellow countrymen. There is a reason we call the extremists, extremist. It is because they are not the norm. Too many people seem to forget that when looking at the region from the outside, especially the vast majority whose nearest encounter is the duty free at Dubai or the beach at Sharm el Sheikh.
    Fair enough. Still, whether certifiable loons or not, they do seem pretty much incapable of living in peace with each other let alone with anyone else or of creating functional civilized polities which do not spend most of their time killing their own citizens or the citizens of other states.

So, frankly, I'd like to have to do as little as possible with the place until it grows up.

I realize that this is probably an ill-informed and cowardly view. I would love to travel throughout the region and explore the remains of the old Roman Empire but as I would like to live to an old age, God willing, I will have to direct my energies elsewhere for the moment.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,280
    Labour speaks. At 11:20am. Hours after the events.

Why are we paying Short Money to this Opposition?
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Pulpstar said:

Corbyn will tell him he's been a very naughty boy
    And don't forget holding a march for "peace and solidarity" for all victims of "conflict" everywhere...
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Patrick said:

Cyclefree said:

rkrkrk said:

The middle east is a cesspit not because it is awash in the devil's excrement but because it is awash with a certain religion. And hosts the civil war raging within that religion.
    There is much in what you say, Mr. Patrick. There are certifiable loons in the ME and some evil people, but that is the same anywhere. However, there are a very large number of genuinely nice people. I never met an unpleasant Omani, for example, and a chum of mine who went on holiday to Iran reckons the ordinary folk there are the most gracious, generous and hospitable people on the planet.

• Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

Labour speaks. At 11:20am. Hours after the events.

Why are we paying Short Money to this Opposition?

Good question. I think we are due a refund.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited April 2017
    On topic: Seems a sensible, well-judged and well-executed intervention by Trump. Warning the Russians (and therefore the Syrians) was sensible - we don'rt want to start an accidental world war, do we? And doing so - contrary to what Richard T and Southam said upthread - doesn't mean the attack was ineffective in military terms; this was 59 Tomahawks, that's a lot of oomph. Of course, with prior warning the Syrians will have been able to evacuate most of the target airport so casualites were limted (is that a bad thing?). But they will still have lost a significant chunk of miltary hardware, planes, and radar systems.

As I said at the time of Ed Miliband's disgraceful and cynical torpedoing of action in 2013, the outlawing of fatal chemical weapons has been an international red line for a hundred years, and thank heaven for that. Of course, there have been breaches of it from time to time, but overall it's one of the great successes of international agreement that chemical weapons have largely been kept out of the equation. It's a red line we should seek to maintain, in an imperfect world. Trump got this right.
  • Options

As I said at the time of Ed Miliband's disgraceful and cynical torpedoing of action in 2013, the outlawing of fatal chemical weapons has been an international red line for a hundred years, and thank heaven for that. Of course, there have been breaches of it from time to time, but overall it's one of the great successes of international agreement that chemical weapons have largely been kept out of the equation. It's a red line we should seek to maintain; in an imperfect world. Trump got this right.

You may remember that in 2012 I was flirting with Labour but Ed Miliband's disgraceful game-playing over Syria in 2013 was the moment it became clear to me he was unfit to be Prime Minister.
  • Options
    @MichaelDugher: Stop criticising Corbyn's slow response: it takes time for Seamas to run the draft statement by the Kremlin, Stop the War + the Morning Star
  • Options

Patrick said:

Cyclefree said:

rkrkrk said:

There is much in what you say, Mr. Patrick. There are certifiable loons in the ME and some evil people, but that is the same anywhere. However, there are a very large number of genuinely nice people. I never met an unpleasant Omani, for example, and a chum of mine who went on holiday to Iran reckons the ordinary folk there are the most gracious, generous and hospitable people on the planet.
    Indeed. Most Muslims are lovely. Islam is not. They need a Reformation and for one side in the civil war to win.
  • Options
    I see the number of civilians killed by the US airstrike continues to rise - as reported by the Syrian authorities. Wonder how long it will be before there's more been 'killed' in this than by the Sarin attack!
  • Options

As I said at the time of Ed Miliband's disgraceful and cynical torpedoing of action in 2013, the outlawing of fatal chemical weapons has been an international red line for a hundred years, and thank heaven for that. Of course, there have been breaches of it from time to time, but overall it's one of the great successes of international agreement that chemical weapons have largely been kept out of the equation. It's a red line we should seek to maintain, in an imperfect world. Trump got this right.

British MPs should be ashamed – they wasted four vital years when they voted not to bomb Syria the first time round
    The MPs who voted against air strikes in 2013 should take a look in the mirror. As George Osborne, the former Chancellor, told an emergency debate on the crisis in Aleppo last December: “We are deceiving ourselves in this Parliament if we believe that we have no responsibility for what has happened in Syria.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/syria-airstrikes-donald-trump-putin-labour-ashamed-chemical-war-assad-weapons-a7671846.html
  • Options
    @KateEMcCann: Why does Labour split matter? Imagine the impact party would have as a strong united voice. Instead we're talking in-fighting. Again. #Syria
  • Options

Patrick said:

Cyclefree said:

rkrkrk said:

Iran is a curious mix of the humane and decent (genuine tolerance of Jews and Christians, excellent refugee camps, for example) and the really loopy. But then, they'd probably view us in the same light.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097

If anything May played a crucial role in bringing Trump back into the fold and away from the alt right
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

rkrkrk said:

Fair enough. Still, whether certifiable loons or not, they do seem pretty much incapable of living in peace with each other let alone with anyone else or of creating functional civilized polities which do not spend most of their time killing their own citizens or the citizens of other states.

So, frankly, I'd like to have to do as little as possible with the place until it grows up.

I realize that this is probably an ill-informed and cowardly view. I would love to travel throughout the region and explore the remains of the old Roman Empire but as I would like to live to an old age, God willing, I will have to direct my energies elsewhere for the moment.
    Once civil war becomes endemic, moderates are forced to choose sides with extremists, who they'd really prefer not to be in charge.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097

Marine Le Pen has also spoken out against the action in Syria but in a somewhat measured way.

So Corbyn now lined up with Le Pen and Nuttall
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Scott_P said:
    Similar response from Corbyn and SNP then.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    Just read the Corbyn statement. Shocking.

Egregious splitting of infinitive.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Marine Le Pen has also spoken out against the action in Syria but in a somewhat measured way.

So Corbyn now lined up with Le Pen and Nuttall
    Also Putin, Aaron Banks & Katie Hopkins......and the SNP......
This discussion has been closed.