Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Next month’s Super Mayoral elections – the starting points for

Comments

• Options
    Freggles said:

As a committed lefty, my duty is surely to vote Conservative and Liberal Democrat in the Tees Valley election.

I sympathise, I voted Labour in the 2003 locals to try and topple IDS.

The fact that the Tory candidate was a bellend also helped my decision.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Wife beater spared jail because he 'would lose cricket contract' faces sentence review after club said claim was false

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/05/wife-beater-spared-jail-would-losecricket-contract-faces-sentence/

I'm reasonably confident Judge Richard Mansell's leniency is not to be found anywhere in the sentencing guidelines.
    He needs to be thoroughly investigated, at the very least.
    Avoid jail as it would affect employment is a reasonably common thing​ I thought.

Wasn't here a case of a city banker avoiding jail recently after glassing someone as he plead loss of employment?
    An odd thing about the job offer is that no-one raised an eyebrow about a 34-year-old amateur suddenly being offered a county contract. 24 maybe.
    An amateur which a simple google search would show has played a total of one match at "professional" level in Pakistan in his whole career.

As a youth, I played high level UK amateur cricket in the UK and every team had an overseas pro, all of which either had proven track records at county / international level or they were on the way up and had played things like U19 international cricket.

Several of the overseas players I played against got snapped up by county teams. However none were 34 year old you nobodies.
    IANAJ but surely the judiciary can't spend time on Google for each case to find out things that they could reasonably expect one side or the other to present in court?
    Well this was a very very specific and should have your bullshit meter going off. It took me 5 seconds to check...and also this started by my question of why isn't the judge asking for any communications between the defendant and the club to be presented to him.

If there were claims that a 70 year old reality tv star with no political experience was going to run for president...oh wait, shit thats ruined my argument.
    Judges have probably come to the learned conclusion that truth is inevitably stranger than fiction...
    To be fair to the judge, the guy claimed he was being considered by Leicestershire, who aren’t the best equipped, player-wise, of counties these days. So HH MIGHT have thought there could be some truth in it.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    malcolmg said:
    I think SLAB being viewed as a "Unionist" party is starting to look shaky !
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    JackW said:

I know the feeling .... :smiley:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39500773

The Labour party too .... just ....

In your case, sounds of the 1860s? I trust the noble Lord is well enough at present?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Wife beater spared jail because he 'would lose cricket contract' faces sentence review after club said claim was false

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/05/wife-beater-spared-jail-would-losecricket-contract-faces-sentence/

I'm reasonably confident Judge Richard Mansell's leniency is not to be found anywhere in the sentencing guidelines.
    Avoid jail as it would affect employment is a reasonably common thing​ I thought.

Wasn't here a case of a city banker avoiding jail recently after glassing someone as he plead loss of employment?
    An odd thing about the job offer is that no-one raised an eyebrow about a 34-year-old amateur suddenly being offered a county contract. 24 maybe.
    An amateur which a simple google search would show has played a total of one match at "professional" level in Pakistan in his whole career.

As a youth, I played high level UK amateur cricket in the UK and every team had an overseas pro, all of which either had proven track records at county / international level or they were on the way up and had played things like U19 international cricket.

Several of the overseas players I played against got snapped up by county teams. However none were 34 year old you nobodies.
    IANAJ but surely the judiciary can't spend time on Google for each case to find out things that they could reasonably expect one side or the other to present in court?
    They could require evidence though? If there was an offer of a job, shouldn't there be a letter confirming that that? Or his copy of the contract, for example?
  • Options

Oxfordshire.

I think the Cons could regain Oxfordshire by picking up 6 Lab wards (4 in Banbury, 1 in Didcot, 1 in Witney), while losing a couple to the LDs (Charlbury, Abingdon N). Con to UKIP switchers were heavily responsible for Lab gaining these wards in the first place.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2017
    It looks like UKIP are doing far worse than expected in terms of nominating candidates all over the country for the local elections (not just in Oxfordshire). The Tories are probably going to pick up a lot of seats almost by default. The predicted Conservative national equivalent share of 31% is starting to look a bit on the low side IMO.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited April 2017

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Well this was a very very specific and should have your bullshit meter going off. It took me 5 seconds to check...and also this started by my question of why isn't the judge asking for any communications between the defendant and the club to be presented to him.

If there were claims that a 70 year old reality tv star with no political experience was going to run for president...oh wait, shit thats ruined my argument.
    Judges have probably come to the learned conclusion that truth is inevitably stranger than fiction...
    To be fair to the judge, the guy claimed he was being considered by Leicestershire, who aren’t the best equipped, player-wise, of counties these days. So HH MIGHT have thought there could be some truth in it.
    Thats a bit like saying Southampton are considering signing an unknown African striker whose only previous confirmed appearances at any level of football was a single run out for Blyth Spartans....

Oh shit I have done it again...I am not good at probably these analogies.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

In your case, sounds of the 1860s? I trust the noble Lord is well enough at present?
    I'm enjoying a revival as I enter early middle age ..... :sunglasses:
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    If Livingstone genuinely feels he has been misrepresented in relation to his comments of a year ago , why has he not threatened to sue?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,973
    AndyJS said:

It looks like UKIP are doing far worse than expected in terms of nominating candidates all over the country for the local elections (not just in Oxfordshire). The Tories are probably going to pick up a lot of seats almost by default. The predicted Conservative national equivalent share of 31% is starting to look a bit on the low side IMO.

Do you have a sense of how many seats they are contesting (and what fraction that is of the number up for grabs)?
  • Options
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Do you have a sense of how many seats they are contesting (and what fraction that is of the number up for grabs)?
    Not yet, a lot of councils are still to publish their nominations.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Thats a bit like saying Southampton are considering signing an unknown African striker whose only previous confirmed appearances at any level of football was a single run out for Blyth Spartans....

Oh shit I have done it again...I am not good at probably these analogies.
    TBH that’s not too bad. Clubs in the Oldham are are probably better than average. You’d be better replacing Southampton with Ipswich Town, though.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    AndyJS said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

13th April deadline
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

13th April deadline
    Ah OK, UKIP could be a bit on the slow side?
  • Options
    On Topic.
    The chart above strikes me as a waste of Mikes enormous brain, especially without saying when these most "recent" elections took place. It could presumably be anything between one & four years ago - not just useless but actually misleading.
    I would expect The Libdems to do at least 8% better than 2016, for example. UKIP will tank everywhere.
    Basically, we dont know.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

13th April deadline
    Ah OK, UKIP could be a bit on the slow side?
    They've managed to put candidates up in each ward near me. These thing are done very much on a local level (At least for the LDs they are), mind.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    AndyJS said:

That was always an absurdly low prediction.

R&T (it was them, I think?) look to me to have been dazzled by the Lib Dems' ability to fight by-elections. The organisation and resources needed for widespread elections are quite different, though they could use similar techniques to target specific wards. My own guess would be a LD NEV of 16%.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Very interesting comment by @El_Capitano about UKIP failing to stand candidates in many wards in Oxfordshire. I've just checked here in East Sussex and it's the same story. They've largely disappeared from the Hasting areas, and from much of Wealden. This includes some wards they actually won last time, and many wards where they were on vote shares of 20% to 30%. Overall, they have disappeared from something like three quarters of the wards (last time they have a complete slate apart from one ward where they screwed up the nomination).
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    This Fake News thing really is a problem...

The BBC reported earlier today that veteran BBC broadcaster Brian Matthew had died aged 88.

However, the broadcaster has now been forced to put out a correction after it was found that the presenter, who hosted Sounds of the 60s on BBC Radio 2, was not in fact dead.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/05/bbc-radio-presenter-brian-matthew-dies-aged-88/
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Ken tells Guido that no one from Corbyn’s office has been in touch today and says “Maybe Shami hasn’t read what I’ve actually said and has just been reading these dishonest tweets”. He says a new investigation would not change last night’s legal outcome. Ken only mentioned Hitler once in our two minute phone call.

-----

Guido has just broken the news of Corbyn’s statement over the phone to Ken. His response to the news that Jez has referred him to the NEC:

“That’ll be interesting. It doesn’t matter at the end of the day because we are subject to British law. You’re not going to get a British judge to rule against me for telling the truth. It may be that they have been following all the tweets accusing me of being anti-Semitic, I’ll find out when I speak to Jeremy.”

https://order-order.com/2017/04/05/shami-throws-ken-bus/

What a clusterf##k...no that isn't a strong enough word.

Haven't seen much discussion of who the people making the decision on Ken are.
    Does anyone​ know?
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 905
    edited April 2017
    JackW said:

JackW said:

I saw this in my NEST pension scheme, and thought of you Jack!:

Your current NEST retirement date is *30 **** 2044
    When your age will be 94 years and 364 days
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Very interesting comment by @El_Capitano about UKIP failing to stand candidates in many wards in Oxfordshire. I've just checked here in East Sussex and it's the same story. They've largely disappeared from the Hasting areas, and from much of Wealden. This includes some wards they actually won last time, and many wards where they were on vote shares of 20% to 30%. Overall, they have disappeared from something like three quarters of the wards (last time they have a complete slate apart from one ward where they screwed up the nomination).

This cannot come as a surprise. It may be different in other parts of the country but in the SE UKIP had one purpose and that has now been achieved.
  • Options

Checked the nominations for Essex and it looks like the Kippers have candidates in about 66% of wards. LibDems are fighting all but one ...... ironically one which, back when I was involved with these things there, they won ..... and Greens most. The Kippers also used, IIRC, to have an alliance with the Canvey Island Independence Party, but that seems to have broken down.
  • Options

The Hertsmere bit of Herts seems to have a good number of UKIP candidates.
    Not that I'm expecting them to achieve much more than single digit spoiler status.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,320

This cannot come as a surprise. It may be different in other parts of the country but in the SE UKIP had one purpose and that has now been achieved.
    4m GE votes up for grabs...it is the key to the next election.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I see we have an hour panorama special this evening on CUTTTTTSSSSSSSSSS...has been a while seen the BBC banged on about evil Tory cuts. Back to Wigan Pier and all that.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I wonder if they’ll just go back to ‘non-voting’?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,013
    calum said:

malcolmg said:
    at some point the members will decide they don't want to be Tory ciphers.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    edited April 2017
    DavidL said:

I think ukip should only stand in Eurosceptic (as defined by Brexit vote) seats against Remain MPs
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    No kipper standing against me in Hersham Division for Surrey for the first time in several years, though they are contesting six of the nine Elmbridge seats.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

No kipper standing against me in Hersham Division for Surrey for the first time in several years, though they are contesting six of the nine Elmbridge seats.

Any threats ?

Lib Dems or Residents Association ?
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Want me to come campaign for you ?
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Good luck!
  • Options

JohnO said:

Why no Sheffield City region mayoral election by the way ?

I was looking forward to giving you my 2nd pref.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

JohnO said:

Any threats ?

Lib Dems or Residents Association ?
    Yes, RA chap (who beat me last year though the boundaries are different for County). Lab, LibDem and Greens also standing.
  • Options

JohnO said:

RED SHOES A MUST - they'll love you in Whiteley Village. You and JackW can pair off for a canvassing extravaganza.
  • Options
    RobD said:

JohnO said:

Good luck!
    Many thanks and canvassing starts in 19 minutes!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Pulpstar said:

JohnO said:

Too dangerous. It would give them secessionist ideas.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,320

DavidL said:

I wonder if they’ll just go back to ‘non-voting’?
    Some undoubtedly will but if 2m go to the Tories they won't be missing the odd metrosexual that Cameron and Osborne converted. Given the way the party is going, its lack of finance, its appalling leadership and its served purpose I will be astonished if they even stand in half the seats next time out.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,865
    AndyJS said:

Had a quick look at Cornwall. I think only the LDs are running a full slate of candidates. The Conservatives are swerving Camelford and at least one of the Bodmin wards (perhaps in favour of pro-Conservative Independents).

I think there are fewer UKIP candidates in Cornwall than in 2013 but I'll rely on your wisdom.

• Options
    Icarus said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

I saw this in my NEST pension scheme, and thought of you Jack!:

Your current NEST retirement date is *30 **** 2044
    When your age will be 94 years and 364 days
    Seems a tad early to me ....
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

What is the Never Ending story? Livingstone I presume.

Labour launches fresh probe into Ken Livingstone Hitler remarks

http://news.sky.com/story/corbyn-labour-to-review-ken-livingstones-grossly-insensitive-remarks-10826175

• Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    malcolmg said:

calum said:

malcolmg said:
    at some point the members will decide they don't want to be Tory ciphers.
    FWIW I think that point has been reached at the non-member supporters level - the embittered band of SLAB careerists all expecting to be in WM won't wake up until they drop below 10% !!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Good afternoon, everyone.

The nation eagerly awaits the glorious triumph of Chairman Corbyn!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

JohnO said:

Apparently Chesterfield residents weren't fully consulted so the election has been delayed.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,167
    RobD said:

A prominent Scottish Labour voice: "If the UK does not show flexibility then the UK will not exist any longer."

twitter.com/davidmartinmep/status/849566860614008833

No matter what the UK government does, the SNP will find something to complain about!
    What concilliatory, judicious & consultative actions by the UK government with regard to Brexit & Scotland have the SNP heartlessly ignored just so they can carry on complaining?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    isam said:

DavidL said:

I think ukip should only stand in Eurosceptic (as defined by Brexit vote) seats against Remain MPs
    It's a good idea; you should mention it to whoever is in charge of the party.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,865
    marke09 said:

reminder that BBC Parliament are showing the 1992 General Election results programme this Saturday from 9am

We can but hope the 1997 election will be shown perhaps on Good Friday. I'm sure that's a repeat most on here won't want to miss.

Whatever happened to the "dodgy dozen" ?

• Options
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

RED SHOES A MUST - they'll love you in Whiteley Village. You and JackW can pair off for a canvassing extravaganza.
    I fear Mrs JackW might conclude I had a mistress (apart from PB) if I spent the day with a sequined and bejeweled individual shod in red.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    https://www.ft.com/content/5fef7796-1914-11e7-a53d-df09f373be87

I quote from the article a very small piece to avoid (legal) trouble.
    "an absurd amount of Commonwealth nostalgia"
  • Options
    edited April 2017

RobD said:

A prominent Scottish Labour voice: "If the UK does not show flexibility then the UK will not exist any longer."

twitter.com/davidmartinmep/status/849566860614008833

No matter what the UK government does, the SNP will find something to complain about!
    What concilliatory, judicious & consultative actions by the UK government with regard to Brexit & Scotland have the SNP heartlessly ignored just so they can carry on complaining?
    Sorry. Error
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

DavidL said:

To be fair I have probably copied it from Arron Banks.

It makes sense though. No money, not enough good candidates. Rather than being all things to all people they should just be themselves where it will go down well, without compromise. Why stand in Brighton, Hackney, etc as some kind of ukip lite?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

DavidL said:

Assuming you can find someone.
  • Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276
    stodge said:

marke09 said:

reminder that BBC Parliament are showing the 1992 General Election results programme this Saturday from 9am

We can but hope the 1997 election will be shown perhaps on Good Friday. I'm sure that's a repeat most on here won't want to miss.

Whatever happened to the "dodgy dozen" ?

I believe 1997 is scheduled for May 1st.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Scott_P said:
    A new spin on an old drinking game...by the end of the interview...hiiiick...
  • Options
    Mr. Isam, could be a special new problem for Labour if they did that. Labour constituencies were mostly Leave, Labour MPs mostly Remain, aren't/weren't they?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,811
    Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

Well, I have left the Labour party. I can't share it with Livingstone and his Jew-baiting apologists. I have joined the Jewish Labour Movement instead to show some solidarity at a really shitty time for Jews on the left (and others too, I imagine).

Before following the knee jerk reactions of those reacting to the stupid (and possibly anti semitic) rantings of an old time lefty I'd read more about it.
    Roger: why do find it so difficult to condemn anti-Semitism here? It is possible to be against anti-Semitism and the attacks on Jews here in Europe and also critical of the current policies of the Israeli government without descending into Holocaust historical revisionism and Jew-baiting. But it is something which seems to be beyond Livingstone and many of his and Corbyn's friends and allies. You are not a stupid man. Does it not ever occur to you that the reason it may be beyond them is because their intent is not to make a reasoned critique of a particular Israeli government and its policies but something more malicious and sinister?

It is the aim and objective of all Zionist groups and more recently most Jewish groups to conflate criticism of Israel with anti semitism. It is thus almost impossible to discuss anything to do with Israel-including their deliberate scuppering of any possibility of a Palestinian State by building the first settlement on the West Bank for 26 years-without being tarred a racist.

Even allowing people as clumsy as Ken to be crucified just cowers everyone else into submission and means support for the Palestinians is painted as anti semitism which is the clear objective of the Israeli government
    There are people who conflate all criticism of Israel with criticism of Jews, this is true. It is, however, at the least matched if not exceeded by those who pretend that all those condemning criticism of Jews are also trying to prevent criticism of Israel.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @jonwalker121: Ken is speaking to LBC about Hitler right now and complaining that journalists are turning up at his home as he does it
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/849640641726382080
  • Options
    dyingswandyingswan Posts: 189
    The dock for Livingstone I presume
  • Options
    Who's paying for these endless investigations into Ken?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    stodge said:

AndyJS said:

Had a quick look at Cornwall. I think only the LDs are running a full slate of candidates. The Conservatives are swerving Camelford and at least one of the Bodmin wards (perhaps in favour of pro-Conservative Independents).

I think there are fewer UKIP candidates in Cornwall than in 2013 but I'll rely on your wisdom.

I don't have any more wisdom than anyone else on this subject, it's just a case of looking at the council webpages to see who's standing.
  • Options
    @PolhomeEditor: Ken Livingstone: "I only mention Hitler when I'm asked a question about him."

@GuidoFawkes: Ken "Hitler" Count: 12

@IainDale
    @LBC
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/849640641726382080
    Hiiiiick....
  • Options
    @rowenamason: Ken Livingstone repeats claim that antisemitism row was whipped up to cause trouble for Corbyn -doesnt believe Jewish members leaving Labour
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080
    calum said:
    The question is whether there will be a tipping point when wider the Scottish political class begins to see it as inevitable. It's quite plausible to imagine a scenario in which the next referendum is almost a formality.
  • Options
    stodge said:

AndyJS said:

In Wiltshire back of a fag packet figures looks like UKIP are standing in fewer than 10 of 98 seats after standing in 54 last time, where they were the only opposition in many seats.

In fairness they only won 1 last time anyway.

Greens increasing candidates four or five fold, and Labour increasing numbers as well.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited April 2017

Steve Bell in the Guardian seems behind Ken..
  • Options
    @GuidoFawkes: Biit of a stewards inquiry about a mumbled "Hitler", the official count adjudication is that Ken said 12 "Hitlers" in 15 minutes.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    After playing the Ken drinking game for just one interview....

• Options

calum said:
    The question is whether there will be a tipping point when wider the Scottish political class begins to see it as inevitable. It's quite plausible to imagine a scenario in which the next referendum is almost a formality.
    It probably is, there's just a lot haggling over when.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    AndyJS said:

I presume the Labour party.

Which gets Short money.

Which comes from the taxpayers.

So it seems you are paying for them...

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@PolhomeEditor: Ken Livingstone: "I only mention Hitler when I'm asked a question about him."

@GuidoFawkes: Ken "Hitler" Count: 12

@IainDale
    @LBC

Not the first time, Ken, if I recall.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@jonwalker121: Ken is speaking to LBC about Hitler right now and complaining that journalists are turning up at his home as he does it

He said that ITN were there already and a few more were turning up in half an hour or so! How's he know!?!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The party is flush with cash isn't it? All those leadership elections were good for the bank balance.
  • Options
    @smashmorePH: Iain Dale of @LBC asks Ken Livingstone if he's concerned about people leaving Labour because of him?

"I'll believe it when I see it"
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,215
    kle4 said:

Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

Roger: why do find it so difficult to condemn anti-Semitism here? It is possible to be against anti-Semitism and the attacks on Jews here in Europe and also critical of the current policies of the Israeli government without descending into Holocaust historical revisionism and Jew-baiting. But it is something which seems to be beyond Livingstone and many of his and Corbyn's friends and allies. You are not a stupid man. Does it not ever occur to you that the reason it may be beyond them is because their intent is not to make a reasoned critique of a particular Israeli government and its policies but something more malicious and sinister?

It is the aim and objective of all Zionist groups and more recently most Jewish groups to conflate criticism of Israel with anti semitism. It is thus almost impossible to discuss anything to do with Israel-including their deliberate scuppering of any possibility of a Palestinian State by building the first settlement on the West Bank for 26 years-without being tarred a racist.

Even allowing people as clumsy as Ken to be crucified just cowers everyone else into submission and means support for the Palestinians is painted as anti semitism which is the clear objective of the Israeli government
    There are people who conflate all criticism of Israel with criticism of Jews, this is true. It is, however, at the least matched if not exceeded by those who pretend that all those condemning criticism of Jews are also trying to prevent criticism of Israel.
    It is also not true that it is the aim of Jewish groups to conflate criticism of Israel with anti-Semitism. There have been plenty of prominent Jews and indeed the Israeli Ambassador himself who have made clear that they accept the right of others to criticize the Israeli government. Rather, too many people who want to elide the difference between criticizing the government and criticizing Jews allege that it is their opponents who are trying to prevent them.

It is perfectly possible to criticize the Israeli government. You talk about the Israeli government. You don't need to use the word Jews or Zionists. This is not hard. The fact that so many people find it difficult to make the distinction tells you something.

Support for the Palestinians is not automatically anti-Semitism. But those who do support the current Palestinian leadership should ask themselves if they are happy with the lurid and anti-Semitic language used by many on the Palestinian side about Israel and about Jews in general. See, for instance, the Hamas Charter. Do they think that this is a way calculated to build the trust needed to get a solution that works for both groups?
  • Options
    @GuidoFawkes: Stats: Ken averaged 1 "Hitler" every 73 seconds. Over a sustained interview period we think this is a new personal best for him.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Scott_P said:

@smashmorePH: Iain Dale of @LBC asks Ken Livingstone if he's concerned about people leaving Labour because of him?

"I'll believe it when I see it"

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@GuidoFawkes: Stats: Ken averaged 1 "Hitler" every 73 seconds. Over a sustained interview period we think this is a new personal best for him.

He played himself in though. Didn't get off the mark until very late on then unleashed a flurry
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

He played himself in though. Didn't get off the mark until very late on then unleashed a flurry
    Unlike Sir Geoffry who used to like to play himself in, Ken doesn't worry about going hard at balls traditionally thought of as being in the corridor of uncertainty.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    To make room for Ken?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080
    Scott_P said:

That makes it sound like scoring a 147 break. "I think he's lining up a Pol Pot..."
  • Options
    @GuidoFawkes: On BBC News channel Ken delivers a mere 3 "Hitlers" in 8 minutes. An average of one every 160 seconds. Not up to his best form.
  • Options
    Just finished a Graun "omnibus survey" - everything from what I think of their coverage of the French elections to what food I buy. Asked me some personal questions also. V disappointed not to be asked what gender I identify as.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Scott_P said:

@GuidoFawkes: On BBC News channel Ken delivers a mere 3 "Hitlers" in 8 minutes. An average of one every 160 seconds. Not up to his best form.

Might come back strong after a short drinks break...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@charlotteahenry: @GuidoFawkes It was 6.

May need to go to the video referee...
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited April 2017

calum said:
    Which is fair comment. It may come to that. It may not. We shall see.

Question: As Mr Farron and others have wanted on the EU, should, in your view, there be one or two referendums? One on the principle of independence, and one on the exit terms when agreed with rUK? Or just one and let's see what we negotiate.

Genuinely intrigued.
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, Betdaq does pretty much the same thing as Betfair, right?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

It is also not true that it is the aim of Jewish groups to conflate criticism of Israel with anti-Semitism. There have been plenty of prominent Jews and indeed the Israeli Ambassador himself who have made clear that they accept the right of others to criticize the Israeli government. Rather, too many people who want to elide the difference between criticizing the government and criticizing Jews allege that it is their opponents who are trying to prevent them.

It is perfectly possible to criticize the Israeli government. You talk about the Israeli government. You don't need to use the word Jews or Zionists. This is not hard. The fact that so many people find it difficult to make the distinction tells you something.

Support for the Palestinians is not automatically anti-Semitism. But those who do support the current Palestinian leadership should ask themselves if they are happy with the lurid and anti-Semitic language used by many on the Palestinian side about Israel and about Jews in general. See, for instance, the Hamas Charter. Do they think that this is a way calculated to build the trust needed to get a solution that works for both groups?
    Good post. It’s very difficult for people to criticise the Israeli Government as those who oppose them on other matters immediately accuse the speaker of anti-semitism, thereby promoting themselves as ‘of the light’.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    "Bookmakers' software under scrutiny"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39493437
  • Options

Mr. Pulpstar, Betdaq does pretty much the same thing as Betfair, right?

Yes.

2 big differences though

1) Not so many markets & less liquidity
    2) No premium charge.
  • Options
    Ignoring the fact that Lab would "lose seats" also so it's a price worth paying for the Cons.

I'm happy if the LDs get some traction. Who knows, in 40 years time we might rejoin the EU.
This discussion has been closed.