Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If this is accurate, then you might wish to update your Trump

13»

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,118

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Since the PB Brexiteers' estimates of a poor show for this march seem to have been creeping up incrementally from 10k - 20k - 25k - 40k, I'd suggest their/your definition of a wet fart may be somewhat elastic.

As far as you thinking that Scotland's huge Remain majority meant this was the issue which was going to put fire in the bellies of Yes this time round, can I ask which specific statements propelled this idea into your (no doubt pretty) little head, or are you resorting to setting up your own proposition so you can say it's failed? I'd wait for the council elections in May to see the lie of the land, since we're told by no greater authority than Tessy herself that they'll be a proxy poll on the desire for a 2nd referendum. You should perhaps note that in Glasgow yesterday the SNP & Sturgeon were launching their manifesto for the GCC council elections and large numbers of members were pounding the streets, which should give an indication of current priorities.

If the SNP get 51% or more in the local elections they have a case they would win an indyref2, if not, they won't
    'Introducing the party conference, May writes: “We will also be looking forward to the local elections in May, when voters across Scotland will have the chance to send a clear message to the SNP that they do not want a second independence referendum, by voting Scottish Conservative and Unionist on 4 May.”'

If the Scottish Conservative and Unionist get 51% or more in the local elections they have a case they would win an indyref2, if not, they won't.
    Except Labour and the LDs and UKIP are still all Unionist parties too
    'A Panelbase poll of 1,028 voters found 14% of those who were likely to vote planned to give their first preference to Kezia Dugdale’s party in May when “don’t knows” are excluded.

Support for the SNP was at 47%, the Scottish Conservatives were on 26%, the Liberal Democrats 5%, the Greens 4% and Ukip 3%'

Do the math are our Septic cousins might say.
    Yes get 47% in Indyref2 and still lose, indeed
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    isam said:
    Shades of Eamon's classic song all round in this tweet.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,242
    edited March 2017
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Since the PB Brexiteers' estimates of a poor show for this march seem to have been creeping up incrementally from 10k - 20k - 25k - 40k, I'd suggest their/your definition of a wet fart may be somewhat elastic.

As far as you thinking that Scotland's huge Remain majority meant this was the issue which was going to put fire in the bellies of Yes this time round, can I ask which specific statements propelled this idea into your (no doubt pretty) little head, or are you resorting to setting up your own proposition so you can say it's failed? I'd wait for the council elections in May to see the lie of the land, since we're told by no greater authority than Tessy herself that they'll be a proxy poll on the desire for a 2nd referendum. You should perhaps note that in Glasgow yesterday the SNP & Sturgeon were launching their manifesto for the GCC council elections and large numbers of members were pounding the streets, which should give an indication of current priorities.

If the SNP get 51% or more in the local elections they have a case they would win an indyref2, if not, they won't
    'Introducing the party conference, May writes: “We will also be looking forward to the local elections in May, when voters across Scotland will have the chance to send a clear message to the SNP that they do not want a second independence referendum, by voting Scottish Conservative and Unionist on 4 May.”'

If the Scottish Conservative and Unionist get 51% or more in the local elections they have a case they would win an indyref2, if not, they won't.
    'A Panelbase poll of 1,028 voters found 14% of those who were likely to vote planned to give their first preference to Kezia Dugdale’s party in May when “don’t knows” are excluded.

Support for the SNP was at 47%, the Scottish Conservatives were on 26%, the Liberal Democrats 5%, the Greens 4% and Ukip 3%'

Lol!

'Except Labour and the LDs and UKIP are still all Unionist parties too'

SNP 47 + Green 4 = 51

Scon 26 + SLab 14 + SLD 5 + UKIP 3 = 48

Do the math, dude!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    rcs1000 said:

Greetings all.

The big story of today is not Russia, or Brexit or any of that boring stuff. No, the big story is the Saarland elections in Germany. Last fought in 2012, the Saarland was once the home of Germany's heavy industry: it was the home of coal, and steel, and lots of manufacturing.

But the decline of coal, and Germany's focus on integrating the East has meant that the Saarland is one of the poorer West German Laander. (Bonus fact: back in 1999, I was the analyst at Goldman Sachs who took public the Saarland's only meaningful tech company.) The Saarland is majority Catholic and has been run by a CDU-SPD coalition since the last elections.

Both the AfD and Linke had been polling well in the Saarland until quite recently. The AfD has, of course, done very well in former East German state elections, and it will be interesting to see how they do today.

Worth noting that last time around the Pirates got something like 7% of the vote, and are likely to be all but wiped out this time around. Everyone should see a small bump, one would think.

Agree that this is today's most interesting event. The Left did well here because of a quirk - the former SPD leader Lafontaine from the state defected to them and brought lots of voters with him. He's still their popular local leader but they're seemingly suffering from the SPD revival.

The polls locally don't show the big SPD surge shown elsewhere, though, just a little bump, and the local CDU leader is quite popular. It'll be unusual if the SPD as junior governing party does well - normally, as we know, that's a suicide pill. But with three parties near the 5% threshold, there's plenty of scope for surprises.

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/landtage/saarland.htm

First predictions will be from 5pm UK time.
  • Options
    One thing is for sure, Douglas Carswell's description of his leaving UKIP amicably wasn't exactly true.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,046

isam said:

Carswell again refuses to say he won't be standing as a Tory at the next GE on Sunday Politics

By his own past statements, he has to call a by election or be seen as a complete hypocrite. He advised Labour MPs to quit and join ukip or go independent, but said they had to call a by election

Presumably he could defect back just a couple of months before an election.

Whether he would be selected as PPC for the Tories in Clacton may not be certain. Some there may well be pissed off at his previous antics.
    They had the same candidate at the 2015 GE as at the by-election and he’s a local councillor.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983
    edited March 2017

One thing is for sure, Douglas Carswell's description of his leaving UKIP amicably wasn't exactly true.

'I'm not like all the other self serving politicians who game the system for their own ends.. and you can find out why in my new book available in all good book stores from tomorrow'
  • Options

isam said:

Carswell again refuses to say he won't be standing as a Tory at the next GE on Sunday Politics

By his own past statements, he has to call a by election or be seen as a complete hypocrite. He advised Labour MPs to quit and join ukip or go independent, but said they had to call a by election

Whether he would be selected as PPC for the Tories in Clacton may not be certain. Some there may well be pissed off at his previous antics.
    They had the same candidate at the 2015 GE as at the by-election and he’s a local councillor.
    Plus he used to be an actor and was in the TV sitcom 'Bread'
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Lol!

SNP 47 + Green 4 = 51

Do the math, dude!
    The other 1% you and the undecideds? :confounded:
  • Options

isam said:
    Last night seemed a good time not to be in Islington
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Lol!

SNP 47 + Green 4 = 51

Do the math, dude!
    You can't add the SNP and Green totals as has already been pointed out a minority of SNP and Green voters oppose independence. SNP 47% almost exactly matches their 2016 Holyrood total, until the SNP get 51% they do not have a Yes majority
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

isam said:

he came within a couple of thousand of unseating Carswell too as I recall.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,775
    surbiton said:

FF43 said:

RoyalBlue said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/26/labour-keir-starmer-brexit-exact-same-benefits

Sounds like Labour are pivoting to oppose Brexit when Theresa May fails to deliver on their impossible demands.

That's absurd. Even full membership of the EEA wouldn't deliver that.
    Indeed. Iimpossible and absurd. Labour's tests for supporting Brexit are precisely those promises made by the Leave campaign: end to Freedom of Movement and no interruption to trade.
    Hannan wanted us to be in the EEA. Therefore, Freedom of Movement as well. Boris was in favour of the single market if I am correct.
    Actually he wanted Swiss style bilaterals while claiming there was no need for FoM unless we wanted it because Colombia has an FTA that doesn't include FoM.

Whatever. Hannan is the most disingenuous of all Leavers. I prefer David Davies, who is sincere, even if he isn't one to let facts get in the way of a genuinely held belief.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,242
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Lol!

SNP 47 + Green 4 = 51

Do the math, dude!
    You can't add the SNP and Green totals as has already been pointed out a minority of SNP and Green voters oppose independence. SNP 47% almost exactly matches their 2016 Holyrood total, until the SNP get 51% they do not have a Yes majority
    Careful, when you move from the head to the point of a pin, you get pricked.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:
    What happened? I was in Munich overnight. I'm currently on day two of a train trip across Europe, having just left Vienna.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

isam said:
    And Carswell singing the response to May?
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:
    What happened? I was in Munich overnight. I'm currently on day two of a train trip across Europe, having just left Vienna.
    Have you got your Bradshaws??

Aggro at the Queens Head

https://twitter.com/dailymailuk/status/845897499621687296

• Options
    edited March 2017
  • Options

There seems to be a dearth of alt right pish lately, so just to redress that a wee bit.

https://twitter.com/RealAlexJones/status/845712639233789954

That's bollocks. They wouldn't let a woman be head of state!
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    isam said:

Rings of steel and SAS on standby.. WE WILL NOT LET THEM AFFECT US!

I'm sure it was just like this in the 60s, society hasn't changed

https://twitter.com/dailymailuk/status/845955609371594752

The Mail quotes the Star as its source so it may not be entirely reliable. I shan't be pulling on my betting boots just yet.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509

Roger said:

malcolmg said:

Biased BBC caption on picture of the pro EU march,

"Ten of thousands of people joined the march"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-39392584

Is that not a simple fact?
    It's missing an s. It reads like only ten, out of thousands who could have, joined the march. I was jokingly accusing the bbc of pro Brexit bias because of a typo.
    More importantly, the BBC should have asked - where were the missing 16 million who could have joined the march? Maybe there'll be a Panorama special....
    It was a good spirited march by all accounts, and a particularly high standard of placards. Protest placads have definitely become wittier over the years:

http://inktank.fi/15-fantastically-fun-protest-signs-from-the-unite-for-europe-march/
    I'll be in even better spirits on Wednesday evening after my glasses of champagne.
    english fizz mr CR !
    yuk
    Your palate is probably unrefined ;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/20/english-sparkling-wine-beats-champagne-in-paris-blind-tasting/
    If they've managed to find 12 tasters who can't tell the difference between Sussex sparkling wine and a decent champagne I really suspect the tasters are not actually tasters. I'll see if I can find more details on this 'blind' tasting but it sounds very suspect to me.

(I should add I've tried some good English sparkling wines but they'd have to be almost frozen to fool even me that they're champagne)
    The tasters found a difference, the English wines were superior. I know you must find this radically shocking.
    Putting a bit of carbonation in is a fairly straightforward way to make an acidic thin white wine saleable. Mind you, I am not much of a fan of proper champers either. I leave it for the ladies.
    Champagne and traditionally made sparkling wine is racked, it doesn't have 'a bit of carbonation' put into it.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    I see that there was scant discussion of TSE's header. Putting it in perspective, the story does not feature in my Googlenews feed at all, and not even Politico is running with it.

A hint may be Abramson's self-description as a "poet, editor, attorney, freelance journalist, and professor". Probably more accurate would be 'pretentious dick with an axe to grind'.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Aggro at the Queens Head

In London "revellers" queue up to get into pubs on an ordinary Saturday night in March, do they?

I don't recognise my own country any more.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,544

isam said:

Rings of steel and SAS on standby.. WE WILL NOT LET THEM AFFECT US!

I'm sure it was just like this in the 60s, society hasn't changed

https://twitter.com/dailymailuk/status/845955609371594752

The Mail quotes the Star as its source so it may not be entirely reliable. I shan't be pulling on my betting boots just yet.
    It's a fairly open secret that the Hereford Boat club have a base in London.

I used to live by Tower Hill. Every now and again, a convoy of identical top spec Range Rovers with extra aerials would charge over Tower Bridge. In each vehicle 4 men in tshirts. Lead vehicle with a blue light. Basically about as subtle as a Jerry Bruckheimer movie.
  • Options

Roger said:

malcolmg said:

Biased BBC caption on picture of the pro EU march,

"Ten of thousands of people joined the march"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-39392584

Is that not a simple fact?
    It's missing an s. It reads like only ten, out of thousands who could have, joined the march. I was jokingly accusing the bbc of pro Brexit bias because of a typo.
    More importantly, the BBC should have asked - where were the missing 16 million who could have joined the march? Maybe there'll be a Panorama special....
    It was a good spirited march by all accounts, and a particularly high standard of placards. Protest placads have definitely become wittier over the years:

http://inktank.fi/15-fantastically-fun-protest-signs-from-the-unite-for-europe-march/
    I'll be in even better spirits on Wednesday evening after my glasses of champagne.
    english fizz mr CR !
    yuk
    Your palate is probably unrefined ;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/20/english-sparkling-wine-beats-champagne-in-paris-blind-tasting/
    If they've managed to find 12 tasters who can't tell the difference between Sussex sparkling wine and a decent champagne I really suspect the tasters are not actually tasters. I'll see if I can find more details on this 'blind' tasting but it sounds very suspect to me.

(I should add I've tried some good English sparkling wines but they'd have to be almost frozen to fool even me that they're champagne)
    The tasters found a difference, the English wines were superior. I know you must find this radically shocking.
    Putting a bit of carbonation in is a fairly straightforward way to make an acidic thin white wine saleable. Mind you, I am not much of a fan of proper champers either. I leave it for the ladies.
    Champagne and traditionally made sparkling wine is racked, it doesn't have 'a bit of carbonation' put into it.
    yes it does. The carbonation is yeast derived in bottle. The yeast gives a bit of flavour as well as carbonation to a thin wine. Cheap fizz is artificially carbonated in bulk, like keg beer. Booming prossecco sales show that people will drink anything as long as it is fizzy.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Aggro at the Queens Head

Sounds a bit livelier than usual.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Lol!

SNP 47 + Green 4 = 51

Do the math, dude!
    That's bullshit because there are SLAB voters who will vote for independence and maybe even 2% of Tories ! So they balance each other out.

rcs1000 said:

Greetings all.

The big story of today is not Russia, or Brexit or any of that boring stuff. No, the big story is the Saarland elections in Germany. Last fought in 2012, the Saarland was once the home of Germany's heavy industry: it was the home of coal, and steel, and lots of manufacturing.

But the decline of coal, and Germany's focus on integrating the East has meant that the Saarland is one of the poorer West German Laander. (Bonus fact: back in 1999, I was the analyst at Goldman Sachs who took public the Saarland's only meaningful tech company.) The Saarland is majority Catholic and has been run by a CDU-SPD coalition since the last elections.

Both the AfD and Linke had been polling well in the Saarland until quite recently. The AfD has, of course, done very well in former East German state elections, and it will be interesting to see how they do today.

Worth noting that last time around the Pirates got something like 7% of the vote, and are likely to be all but wiped out this time around. Everyone should see a small bump, one would think.

Agree that this is today's most interesting event. The Left did well here because of a quirk - the former SPD leader Lafontaine from the state defected to them and brought lots of voters with him. He's still their popular local leader but they're seemingly suffering from the SPD revival.

The polls locally don't show the big SPD surge shown elsewhere, though, just a little bump, and the local CDU leader is quite popular. It'll be unusual if the SPD as junior governing party does well - normally, as we know, that's a suicide pill. But with three parties near the 5% threshold, there's plenty of scope for surprises.

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/landtage/saarland.htm

First predictions will be from 5pm UK time.
    I have made my calendar free !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No football !
  • Options
    edited March 2017

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

As Independents will poll 10-12% of the vote in the local elections compared to less than 1% in this poll , the figures are as useful as a bucket of sick .
    So the SNP may even have a majority since the above adds up to only 85%.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509

yes it does. The carbonation is yeast derived in bottle. The yeast gives a bit of flavour as well as carbonation to a thin wine. Cheap fizz is artificially carbonated in bulk, like keg beer. Booming prossecco sales show that people will drink anything as long as it is fizzy.

No it doesn't. Nothing is 'put into it', the bubbles, as you acknowledge, are a part of the fermentation process, and are therefore of a much smaller and finer quality than in carbonated wine. I also don't know what your problem is with Prosecco, other than the fact that, like the unfairly maligned Chardonnay grape variety before it, it varies in quality and has become adopted by the proletariat, and therefore must be sneered at by the Guardianista faux wine snobs as they pile on to the next thing.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Aggro at the Queens Head

As one British diplomat said on arriving at Delhi airport from Kabul after a coup that the place was "rather noisy".
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,957
    2018 was always going to be Corbyn's sell by date. This confirms it:
    https://twitter.com/msmithsonpb/status/845960516518498304
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,295
    Any self-employed tax experts around? This new Making Tax Digital for Business (MTDfB) quarterly thingy from HMRC has got me slightly confused.

Anyone with turnover less than £10K is exempt. Period.

But it is unclear what someone just above that will do.

HMRC says:

"Businesses, self-employed people and landlords will be required to start using the new digital service from:

April 2019 if they have profits chargeable to Income Tax and pay Class 4 NICs and their turnovers are below the VAT threshold."

So, what happens if you have a turnover slightly above £10K, but don't earn not enough to pay Class 4 NICs (which have a starting rate of about £8K of profit?

An example might be a rental property that brings in £7K and say £5K of self-employed work.

It is Sunday, so I may be being thick due to hangover. Have I missed something here?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Greetings all.

CompuGroup?
    Isn't Koblenz in the Rheinland-Palatinate?

It was IDS Scheer, an IT services company that was acquired by Software AG.
    Google is your friend...
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    surbiton said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Aggro at the Queens Head

As one British diplomat said on arriving at Delhi airport from Kabul after a coup that the place was "rather noisy".
    Ernest Thesiger, on the Somme 1916, "Oh, my dear, the noise! and the people!"
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,775
    MTimT said:

I see that there was scant discussion of TSE's header. Putting it in perspective, the story does not feature in my Googlenews feed at all, and not even Politico is running with it.

A hint may be Abramson's self-description as a "poet, editor, attorney, freelance journalist, and professor". Probably more accurate would be 'pretentious dick with an axe to grind'.

Agreed. Nevertheless there seems to be a lot of stuff happening around Trump and Russia. The question is whether it just remains as noise, in which case Trump is probably safe for the rest of his presidency, or whether it takes on a focus, which would be much more dangerous for him.
  • Options

No it doesn't. Nothing is 'put into it', the bubbles, as you acknowledge, are a part of the fermentation process, and are therefore of a much smaller and finer quality than in carbonated wine. I also don't know what your problem is with Prosecco, other than the fact that, like the unfairly maligned Chardonnay grape variety before it, it varies in quality and has become adopted by the proletariat, and therefore must be sneered at by the Guardianista faux wine snobs as they pile on to the next thing.
    I pointed out that I don't like Champers much either! Mostly I drink beer, either real ale or bottled IPA. I am partial to a Barolo, Beaujolais, Burgundy or northern Rhone, and some new world copies of them. Sparkling wine is pretty poor value IMO, but the ladies seem to like it.

On the whole I am a cheap date!
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

While it is possible that Len McCluskey has realised that Corbyn is a dud, I suspect that this has more to do with the timing of the Unite the Union leadership election.

McCluskey has probably realised that sounding to committed to Corbyn was likely to cost hi votes, in the election that opens tomorrow (I think) and goes on for a few weeks.

Call me cynical. but we will see
  • Options

Any self-employed tax experts around? This new Making Tax Digital for Business (MTDfB) quarterly thingy from HMRC has got me slightly confused.

HMRC says:

"Businesses, self-employed people and landlords will be required to start using the new digital service from:

April 2019 if they have profits chargeable to Income Tax and pay Class 4 NICs and their turnovers are below the VAT threshold."

So, what happens if you have a turnover slightly above £10K, but don't earn not enough to pay Class 4 NICs (which have a starting rate of about £8K of profit?

An example might be a rental property that brings in £7K and say £5K of self-employed work.

It is Sunday, so I may be being thick due to hangover. Have I missed something here?

I would read that on a prima facie basis as meaning you only have to do it as of that date if you meet all three conditions (income tax, NICs, VAT). As you don't meet the Class IV NIC, you don't.

But I am neither a lawyer nor a UK based small business, so others might have better advice.
  • Options

What makes you think he will ever quit? His removal involves getting the parliamentary Labour party to organise a contest. A group who have conclusively demonstrated they couldn't organise drowning in the middle of the Pacific.

I could easily see Corbyn announcing, after losing the next election, that he will stay on.
  • Options
    Where? Where? Thanet? Rochester? Clacton? Incidentally that’d be fun.

In other news former UKIP (sort of) MP, UKIP candidate for PCC and all round odd-ball Bob Spink is up before the beak next month for, as I understand it. forging the names of assenters to UKIP candidates in his former constituency's Council Elections.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,957
    BigRich said:

While it is possible that Len McCluskey has realised that Corbyn is a dud, I suspect that this has more to do with the timing of the Unite the Union leadership election.

McCluskey has probably realised that sounding to committed to Corbyn was likely to cost hi votes, in the election that opens tomorrow (I think) and goes on for a few weeks.

He is clearly rattled. Now he's been forced to let the catout of the bag. May now has an 18 month window to call an election and win big. If she doesn't she may come to regret it.

• Options
    FF43 said:

MTimT said:

Agreed. Nevertheless there seems to be a lot of stuff happening around Trump and Russia. The question is whether it just remains as noise, in which case Trump is probably safe for the rest of his presidency, or whether it takes on a focus, which would be much more dangerous for him.
    For the record, I am hoping he is impeached and the sooner the better. But I hate it when my hopes are got up only for the tiniest bit of internetting to burst the bubble. TSE can, and should, do better.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Are you suggesting that the Unite vote maybe close enough for LM to need to say this ?
  • Options
    MTimT said:

HMRC says:

I would read that on a prima facie basis as meaning you only have to do it as of that date if you meet all three conditions (income tax, NICs, VAT). As you don't meet the Class IV NIC, you don't.

But I am neither a lawyer nor a UK based small business, so others might have better advice.
    Not another bit of the budget not thought through properly, surely?

And they say Corbyn’s incompetent!
  • Options

BigRich said:

He is clearly rattled. Now he's been forced to let the catout of the bag. May now has an 18 month window to call an election and win big. If she doesn't she may come to regret it.

She has boxed herself in to a corner on an early GE. Said 'No' and will have to mean 'No'. Might just get away with spring 2018.

The other factor is the McDonnell amendment on % of nominating MPs. Len wont force Corbyn out if that doesn't pass at Labour AGM in September/October.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

HMRC says:

That's how I read it. So why stick in an additional clause about below £10K you are exempt?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

MTimT said:

A lot of the mud will stick regardless. That is why his approval rating is 37% having received 46% in November 2016.
  • Options

MTimT said:

HMRC says:

As I understand HMRC wanted no exceptions, but accounting profession pushed back and won some delays to 2019 for a lot of smaller businesses. If you are VAT registered it will start in 2018.

I think this is a ticking bomb for May's government. It is going to massively unpopular with the smaller end of the self-employed grouping.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    surbiton said:

FF43 said:

MTimT said:

A lot of the mud will stick regardless. That is why his approval rating is 37% having received 46% in November 2016.
    Trump's skin is both thick and thin. He will rankle at it unnecessarily and like a three-year old, but then also use it against his 'enemies'. He won't let a little thing such as public opinion change him or his plans.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited March 2017
    MTimT said:

FF43 said:

MTimT said:

For the record, I am hoping he is impeached and the sooner the better. But I hate it when my hopes are got up only for the tiniest bit of internetting to burst the bubble. TSE can, and should, do better.
    Wait, what? You want Trump impeached? Really?
  • Options

MTimT said:

HMRC says:

As I understand HMRC wanted no exceptions, but accounting profession pushed back and won some delays to 2019 for a lot of smaller businesses. If you are VAT registered it will start in 2018.

I think this is a ticking bomb for May's government. It is going to massively unpopular with the smaller end of the self-employed grouping.
    It is a significant hassle for my modest private practice next year. Another cost to pass on.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

BigRich said:

She has boxed herself in to a corner on an early GE. Said 'No' and will have to mean 'No'. Might just get away with spring 2018.

The other factor is the McDonnell amendment on % of nominating MPs. Len wont force Corbyn out if that doesn't pass at Labour AGM in September/October.
    By next year I would expect Corbyn to be defeated by any serious challenger - regardless of McCluskey's views.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

surbiton said:

FF43 said:

MTimT said:

Trump's skin is both thick and thin. He will rankle at it unnecessarily and like a three-year old, but then also use it against his 'enemies'. He won't let a little thing such as public opinion change him or his plans.
    Will not his base support simply regard it as more f... n....?
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    In terms of Scotland I'm surprised at how quickly folks are to write off any hope of Indyref2 succeeding.

The early responses of SCON, SLAB and SLID are predictable - in summary slagging off the SNP and the Greens - and in effect the 50% or so folks currently supporting them.

The most bizarre sight is to see SLAB, Gordon B and Corbyn tying themselves up in knots. SLAB focusing on the need for super federal devo-max is interesting - as they'll never be in a position in the foreseeable future to deliver.

If SLAB's dwindling band of supporters want more sovereignty and decisions taken in Holyrood there appears to be only one way of achieving this in the short term - I think the SNP will quietly marvel at SLAB's final act of Seppuku !!
  • Options

MTimT said:

HMRC says:

It is a significant hassle for my modest private practice next year. Another cost to pass on.
    It will also hit self-employed journos and sub-editors. We have been here before with Hammond have we not?

Janet Daley is already kicking off about it. I expect the number of papers having a go will increase as we get nearer the deadlines.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    It looks like Trump is starting to be critical of the GOP re failure of the AHCA. He tweeted yesterday that everyone should watch Judge Jeanine Show, and she called for Paul Ryan to resign as speaker. He's tweeted within the last hour or so a little dig at the HFC.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/845974102619906048
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Can we move on from Champagne to the intellectually rigorous topics like Class 4 NIC for the self employed ? Please.
  • Options

MTimT said:

HMRC says:

It will also hit self-employed journos and sub-editors. We have been here before with Hammond have we not?

Janet Daley is already kicking off about it. I expect the number of papers having a go will increase as we get nearer the deadlines.
    You wonder why they’re doing this immediately ahead of the Taylor Report
  • Options

It looks like Trump is starting to be critical of the GOP re failure of the AHCA. He tweeted yesterday that everyone should watch Judge Jeanine Show, and she called for Paul Ryan to resign as speaker. He's tweeted within the last hour or so a little dig at the HFC.

Ooooooooh !!! That is a shift. I think secretly he is quite happy that the vote failed. Trump is a demagogue, not an extreme right winger.
  • Options
    This is a very article by David Frum re the GOP and healthcare:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/03/the-republican-waterloo/520833/

He's Canadian, so that may contribute to his views on GOP's swing rightwards since 2009 and the Tea Party. He's been pretty critical of Michelle Bachmann et al in the past as well and has some unusual views on guns for a Republican!
  • Options
    surbiton said:

BigRich said:

Are you suggesting that the Unite vote maybe close enough for LM to need to say this ?
    Possibly, I don't know. I'm not in unite and don't have any inside knowledge, but from the outside it dose look as if Red Len, and his team are taking this more seriously than normal for internal union elections. I've looked but have not yet found any poling on the election.
  • Options
    calum said:

In terms of Scotland I'm surprised at how quickly folks are to write off any hope of Indyref2 succeeding.

The early responses of SCON, SLAB and SLID are predictable - in summary slagging off the SNP and the Greens - and in effect the 50% or so folks currently supporting them.

The most bizarre sight is to see SLAB, Gordon B and Corbyn tying themselves up in knots. SLAB focusing on the need for super federal devo-max is interesting - as they'll never be in a position in the foreseeable future to deliver.

If SLAB's dwindling band of supporters want more sovereignty and decisions taken in Holyrood there appears to be only one way of achieving this in the short term - I think the SNP will quietly marvel at SLAB's final act of Seppuku !!

SLAB today is a bunch of jokers ! They can only begin the long haul back by supporting independence.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited March 2017

There seems to be a dearth of alt right pish lately, so just to redress that a wee bit.

https://twitter.com/RealAlexJones/status/845712639233789954

That's bollocks. They wouldn't let a woman be head of state!

Technically if 2 Muslims in the U.K. Called for that the headline would be accurate

MTimT said:

HMRC says:

That's how I read it. So why stick in an additional clause about below £10K you are exempt?
    Isn't that just a phasing:

Below 10k - never

April 19 - if you meet all 3 criteria

Some other date - above 10k but not all other criteria
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Ooooooooh !!! That is a shift. I think secretly he is quite happy that the vote failed. Trump is a demagogue, not an extreme right winger.
    Apparently Steve Bannon has privately been critical of this Bill. Breitbart has reported that he sees the ACHA as 'written by the insurance industry'. That didn't stop him from doing this though: http://uk.businessinsider.com/house-republican-freedom-caucus-shuts-down-steve-bannon-trumpcare-2017-3?r=US&IR=T

It seems like Bannon has had it out for Ryan from the off-set, even before he was in the WH. http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/300445-exclusive-trump-campaign-ceo-wanted-to-destroy-ryan

In December 2015, weeks after Ryan became Speaker, Bannon wrote in an internal Breitbart email obtained by The Hill that the “long game” for his news site was for Ryan to be “gone” by the spring.
  • Options

MTimT said:

FF43 said:

MTimT said:

Sure, I've been an anyone but Hillary or Trump since the beginning. Kasich was my man. I said that repeatedly and clearly on this site. My wife and I joked ahead of the election that we should have bumper stickers made up saying 'Vote for Trump. He'll be easier to impeach" I think I even posted that on here.

So not sure why this is a surprise to you.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

calum said:

SLAB today is a bunch of jokers ! They can only begin the long haul back by supporting independence.
    If SLAB take the suicidal position of supporting independence having lost almost all their independence supporters to the SNP they will lose their remaining Unionist supporters to the Scottish Tories and LDs too
  • Options

I'm loving that he is identifying the 'Freedom Caucus' (Libertarians that call themselves republican for tactical reasons) as his opponents within the Republican party. Going forward this should give us more recognition and credibility. Hopefully
  • Options

MTimT said:

surbiton said:

FF43 said:

MTimT said:

I think his 'base' is already crumbling at the edges. If he goes after Heritage, the Freedom Caucus and Paul Ryan (and we know his views about the Establishment), then he has no vestige of a base left in the party. He becomes purely a populist.

My guess is that if Trump does not rein it in vs the various bits of the GOP apparatus, the party will start to distance itself from him (sooner rather than later) and start focusing on things that will limit the damage in 2018. They need to keep the House.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

RoyalBlue said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/26/labour-keir-starmer-brexit-exact-same-benefits

Sounds like Labour are pivoting to oppose Brexit when Theresa May fails to deliver on their impossible demands.

That's absurd. Even full membership of the EEA wouldn't deliver that.
    They appear to be the words of David Davis... Who knew that the main opposition to Brexit would come from the Brexiteers?
    I think David Davis is surprising many with his pragmatic consensual approach and he is turning out to be the success of the three Brexiteers. I do not think he is taking us to a hard Brexit and neither do I think Theresa May is. I have said several times that I believe a fair deal will be agreed and it will not be a hard walking away exit

If you are right they have managed expectations brilliantly.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

MTimT said:

surbiton said:

FF43 said:

MTimT said:

I think his 'base' is already crumbling at the edges. If he goes after Heritage, the Freedom Caucus and Paul Ryan (and we know his views about the Establishment), then he has no vestige of a base left in the party. He becomes purely a populist.

My guess is that if Trump does not rein it in vs the various bits of the GOP apparatus, the party will start to distance itself from him (sooner rather than later) and start focusing on things that will limit the damage in 2018. They need to keep the House.
    I certainly can't see Trump voters turning out with much enthusiasm for Ryan in 2018 but expect large Democratic turnout in protest at Trump, Pelosi is not yet polishing the mantelpiece for the Speaker's gavel but she is getting close!
  • Options
    MTimT said:

MTimT said:

FF43 said:

MTimT said:

Sure, I've been an anyone but Hillary or Trump since the beginning. Kasich was my man. I said that repeatedly and clearly on this site. My wife and I joked ahead of the election that we should have bumper stickers made up saying 'Vote for Trump. He'll be easier to impeach" I think I even posted that on here.

So not sure why this is a surprise to you.
    Maybe I'm confusing your stance with TimB.

I liked Kasich in the debates as well. I thought he came off as the most reasonable candidate.

I must have the missed the thread re you saying 'vote for Trump. He'll be easier to impeach.' Did you write in Kasich in November 2016?

Out of interest, what did you think of AHCA and what the Freedom Caucasus' behaviour?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,027

What makes you think he will ever quit? His removal involves getting the parliamentary Labour party to organise a contest. A group who have conclusively demonstrated they couldn't organise drowning in the middle of the Pacific.

I could easily see Corbyn announcing, after losing the next election, that he will stay on.
    I have always thought a GE loss was no impediment to the continuation of the Corbyn project. The old fucker is going to have to be physically dragged out of the LotO's office. Probably in a straightjacket.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Re Kasich, he's on CNN now with Dana Bash.
    BigRich said:

I'm loving that he is identifying the 'Freedom Caucus' (Libertarians that call themselves republican for tactical reasons) as his opponents within the Republican party. Going forward this should give us more recognition and credibility. Hopefully
    BIB: Do you identify politically with the HFC then? I'm not sure how many PBers are based out in the States!

I always saw the HFC as connected with the Tea Party: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/10/20/house-freedom-caucus-what-is-it-and-whos-in-it/

The group, which includes many veterans of the Tea Party movement, was formed in January with the declared aim of pushing the House GOP leadership rightward on certain fiscal and social issues.

• Options
    surbiton said:

calum said:

By finally banging the "Home rule" drum - they really are marching into the abyss !
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,058
    MTimT said:

MTimT said:

surbiton said:

FF43 said:

MTimT said:

The irony is that it is the Republicans who are most closely aligned with Trump - the ones elected in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, etc - who will lose their seats if the House swings leftwards in 2018.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

calum said:

If SLAB take the suicidal position of supporting independence having lost almost all their independence supporters to the SNP they will lose their remaining Unionist supporters to the Scottish Tories and LDs too
    How else will SLAB & Gordon deliver on > powers?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

MTimT said:

surbiton said:

FF43 said:

MTimT said:

I certainly can't see Trump voters turning out with much enthusiasm for Ryan in 2018 but expect large Democratic turnout in protest at Trump, Pelosi is not yet polishing the mantelpiece for the Speaker's gavel but she is getting close!
    This sort of thing is what you get when a large percentage of the population abstains, isn’t it.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

In other news former UKIP (sort of) MP, UKIP candidate for PCC and all round odd-ball Bob Spink is up before the beak next month for, as I understand it. forging the names of assenters to UKIP candidates in his former constituency's Council Elections.
    If it's found the Tories broke the law to beat him he'll stand in the Thanet South rerun. Not that controversial
  • Options

Re Kasich, he's on CNN now with Dana Bash.

BigRich said:

BIB: Do you identify politically with the HFC then? I'm not sure how many PBers are based out in the States!

I always saw the HFC as connected with the Tea Party: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/10/20/house-freedom-caucus-what-is-it-and-whos-in-it/

The group, which includes many veterans of the Tea Party movement, was formed in January with the declared aim of pushing the House GOP leadership rightward on certain fiscal and social issues.

Sorry for the confusion, perhaps that was pore wording on my part, I am UK based, but like a lot of PBs follow politics and currant would affairs from around the would.

As for identifying, I identify as a Libertarian, and the HFC, has many people in it that I admire e.g. Justin Amarsh,

From the groups own description of itself:

'We support open, accountable and limited government, the Constitution and the rule of law, and policies that promote the liberty, safety and prosperity of all Americans'
  • Options
    calum said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

calum said:

How else will SLAB & Gordon deliver on > powers?
    Not if they get 0%
  • Options

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

MTimT said:

surbiton said:

FF43 said:

MTimT said:

This sort of thing is what you get when a large percentage of the population abstains, isn’t it.
    Only a third of the electorate vote in midterms
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

MTimT said:

surbiton said:

FF43 said:

MTimT said:

The irony is that it is the Republicans who are most closely aligned with Trump - the ones elected in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, etc - who will lose their seats if the House swings leftwards in 2018.
    The additional irony is that, if the Dems under Pelosi take back the House, they will read that as having a mandate for even more Liberal policies, when setting the pendulum up to swing back even further the other way.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    isam said:

If it's found the Tories broke the law to beat him he'll stand in the Thanet South rerun. Not that controversial
    He really is a glutton for punishment.

Another losing parliamentary campaign??
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Mortimer said:

isam said:

He really is a glutton for punishment.

Another losing parliamentary campaign??
    Probably! I guess he would be odds against to win?
  • Options
    isam said:
    I think part of the problem is that violent people are attracted to Jihadism as a justification and focus for their anger and violence.

We saw this with the shoe bomber, the Rigby murderers and Adrian wotsit. Certainly there are others that come to Islamism from other routes, but there is a pattern of young angry men becoming involved with crime and drugs then becoming Islamist fanatics after contact with the criminal justice system, often in prison.

Drug abuse in particular is a factor, in that drug users either regress or stagnate with the mentality of a hormonal teenager. Whether the impulsivity and lack of self control is primary or secondary or a fusion of both is hard to tell. We are currently sowing the wind with our penal system and will reap the whirlwind.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

isam said:
    I think part of the problem is that violent people are attracted to Jihadism as a justification and focus for their anger and violence.

We saw this with the shoe bomber, the Rigby murderers and Adrian wotsit. Certainly there are others that come to Islamism from other routes, but there is a pattern of young angry men becoming involved with crime and drugs then becoming Islamist fanatics after contact with the criminal justice system, often in prison.

Drug abuse in particular is a factor, in that drug users either regress or stagnate with the mentality of a hormonal teenager. Whether the impulsivity and lack of self control is primary or secondary or a fusion of both is hard to tell. We are currently sowing the wind with our penal system and will reap the whirlwind.
    Yes good points
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Yes good points
    My favourite quote from Kurt Vonnegut.

“There are plenty of good reasons for fighting,' I said, 'but no good reason ever to hate without reservation, to imagine that God Almighty Himself hates with you, too. Where's evil? It's that large part of every man that wants to hate without limit, that wants to hate with God on its side. It's that part of every man that finds all kinds of ugliness so attractive.”

This discussion has been closed.