Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If this is accurate, then you might wish to update your Trump

Comments

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,770

RoyalBlue said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/26/labour-keir-starmer-brexit-exact-same-benefits

Sounds like Labour are pivoting to oppose Brexit when Theresa May fails to deliver on their impossible demands.

That's absurd. Even full membership of the EEA wouldn't deliver that.
    Indeed. Iimpossible and absurd. Labour's tests for supporting Brexit are precisely those promises made by the Leave campaign: end to Freedom of Movement and no interruption to trade.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Biased BBC caption on picture of the pro EU march,

Since the PB Brexiteers' estimates of a poor show for this march seem to have been creeping up incrementally from 10k - 20k - 25k - 40k, I'd suggest their/your definition of a wet fart may be somewhat elastic.

As far as you thinking that Scotland's huge Remain majority meant this was the issue which was going to put fire in the bellies of Yes this time round, can I ask which specific statements propelled this idea into your (no doubt pretty) little head, or are you resorting to setting up your own proposition so you can say it's failed? I'd wait for the council elections in May to see the lie of the land, since we're told by no greater authority than Tessy herself that they'll be a proxy poll on the desire for a 2nd referendum. You should perhaps note that in Glasgow yesterday the SNP & Sturgeon were launching their manifesto for the GCC council elections and large numbers of members were pounding the streets, which should give an indication of current priorities.

So that's your excuse for yesterday's embarrassingly thin showing in Edinburgh, the two-time referendum losers were pestering the good folk of Glasgow with halitosis and bile.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,354
    edited March 2017

RoyalBlue said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/26/labour-keir-starmer-brexit-exact-same-benefits

Sounds like Labour are pivoting to oppose Brexit when Theresa May fails to deliver on their impossible demands.

They appear to be the words of David Davis... Who knew that the main opposition to Brexit would come from the Brexiteers?
    I think David Davis is surprising many with his pragmatic consensual approach and he is turning out to be the success of the three Brexiteers. I do not think he is taking us to a hard Brexit and neither do I think Theresa May is. I have said several times that I believe a fair deal will be agreed and it will not be a hard walking away exit

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    edited March 2017

malcolmg said:

"Ten of thousands of people joined the march"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-39392584

Is that not a simple fact?
    It's missing an s. It reads like only ten, out of thousands who could have, joined the march. I was jokingly accusing the bbc of pro Brexit bias because of a typo.
    More importantly, the BBC should have asked - where were the missing 16 million who could have joined the march? Maybe there'll be a Panorama special....
    It was a good spirited march by all accounts, and a particularly high standard of placards. Protest placads have definitely become wittier over the years:

http://inktank.fi/15-fantastically-fun-protest-signs-from-the-unite-for-europe-march/
    I'll be in even better spirits on Wednesday evening after my glasses of champagne.
    english fizz mr CR !
    yuk
    Your palate is probably unrefined ;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/20/english-sparkling-wine-beats-champagne-in-paris-blind-tasting/
    If they've managed to find 12 tasters who can't tell the difference between Sussex sparkling wine and a decent champagne I really suspect the tasters are not actually tasters. I'll see if I can find more details on this 'blind' tasting but it sounds very suspect to me.

(I should add I've tried some good English sparkling wines but they'd have to be almost frozen to fool even me that they're champagne)
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    edited March 2017

Since the PB Brexiteers' estimates of a poor show for this march seem to have been creeping up incrementally from 10k - 20k - 25k - 40k, I'd suggest their/your definition of a wet fart may be somewhat elastic.

As far as you thinking that Scotland's huge Remain majority meant this was the issue which was going to put fire in the bellies of Yes this time round, can I ask which specific statements propelled this idea into your (no doubt pretty) little head, or are you resorting to setting up your own proposition so you can say it's failed? I'd wait for the council elections in May to see the lie of the land, since we're told by no greater authority than Tessy herself that they'll be a proxy poll on the desire for a 2nd referendum. You should perhaps note that in Glasgow yesterday the SNP & Sturgeon were launching their manifesto for the GCC council elections and large numbers of members were pounding the streets, which should give an indication of current priorities.

I thought that the large Remain vote was the "material change" which made Nicola think a. that she could in principle call another referendum, consistently with what she said in 2015 and b. she might win it. I am (you will be stupefied to learn) no expert, and I am willing to be corrected. Has the oil price doubled, or has there been a spike in tattie and neep futures?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    isam said:

PClipp said:

Both Tim Farron and Nick Clegg seem to have made a considerable impact at the EU Rally in London yesterday. This was well covered by Channel 4, but not by the BBC, so it will have escaped the attention of the PB Tory commentariat. Apologies for going off topic so soon.

The pro-Leave BBC was never going to cover the march.

Many Leavers will be described by that description of the BBC, I’m sure.

I may have been ever so slightly tongue in cheek ;-)

That said, there is a perception among some Remainers that the BBC went easy on Leave claims during the referendum and continues to give Nigel Farage, for one, inordinate amounts of airtime. Just goes to show it's not just Leavers who see bias.

4m people voted for Ukip, they only got one MP who has now left, & people complain when they're on the telly!
    Just as well they didn't get any Lords. Who knows which faction of alt. right kippers would be frightening the gerontocracy in their slumbers.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Roger said:

malcolmg said:

It's missing an s. It reads like only ten, out of thousands who could have, joined the march. I was jokingly accusing the bbc of pro Brexit bias because of a typo.
    More importantly, the BBC should have asked - where were the missing 16 million who could have joined the march? Maybe there'll be a Panorama special....
    It was a good spirited march by all accounts, and a particularly high standard of placards. Protest placads have definitely become wittier over the years:

http://inktank.fi/15-fantastically-fun-protest-signs-from-the-unite-for-europe-march/
    I'll be in even better spirits on Wednesday evening after my glasses of champagne.
    english fizz mr CR !
    yuk

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/20/english-sparkling-wine-beats-champagne-in-paris-blind-tasting/
    If they've managed to find 12 tasters who can't tell the difference between Sussex sparkling wine and a decent champagne I really suspect the tasters are not actually tasters. I'll see if I can find more details on this 'blind' tasting but it sounds very suspect to me.

(I should add I've tried some good English sparkling wines but they'd have to be almost frozen to fool even me that they're champagne)
    Put red food colouring in white wine and unblinded tasters think it's red wine.

I've seen video footage of a brilliant blind wine taste tester (could get region and grape both old and new world with almost 100% accuracy including the individual grapes in a blend) so i know they exist but the average taste tester is blinded by assumption and prejudice.

It's like audiophiles refusing to accept their £1000 cable doesn't have any observable effect on the quality of sound reproduction and attacking the whole concept of blind trials.
  • Options
    Roger said:

malcolmg said:

english fizz mr CR !
    yuk

The tasters found a difference, the English wines were superior. I know you must find this radically shocking.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

RoyalBlue said:

They appear to be the words of David Davis... Who knew that the main opposition to Brexit would come from the Brexiteers?
    I think David Davis is surprising many with his pragmatic consensual approach and he is turning out to be the success of the three Brexiteers. I do not think he is taking us to a hard Brexit and neither do I think Theresa May is. I have said several times that I believe a fair deal will be agreed and it will not be a hard walking away exit

TBF We haven't heard much from Fox or Johnson recently so they are probably just getting on with their jobs
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    FF43 said:

RoyalBlue said:

Indeed. Iimpossible and absurd. Labour's tests for supporting Brexit are precisely those promises made by the Leave campaign: end to Freedom of Movement and no interruption to trade.
    Hannan wanted us to be in the EEA. Therefore, Freedom of Movement as well. Boris was in favour of the single market if I am correct.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Ishmael_Z said:

I thought that the large Remain vote was the "material change" which made Nicola think a. that she could in principle call another referendum, consistently with what she said in 2015 and b. she might win it. I am (you will be stupefied to learn) no expert, and I am willing to be corrected. Has the oil price doubled, or has there been a spike in tattie and neep futures?
    Ishmael, It si the reason we will have the referendum , perfectly illustrates that we have NO power at all, Westminster make the decisions every time as shown by May deciding on a whim we are not allowed a referendum. Former will not be the be all and end all , it is Westminster perfidy that is the major factor that will fire people up. As May lets it drag the anger will increase.
  • Options
    Charles said:

RoyalBlue said:

TBF We haven't heard much from Fox or Johnson recently so they are probably just getting on with their jobs
    Or more likely hiding and hoping they can weasel out when the lynch mobs turn up.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    edited March 2017
    surbiton said:

FF43 said:

RoyalBlue said:

Hannan wanted us to be in the EEA. Therefore, Freedom of Movement as well. Boris was in favour of the single market if I am correct.
    Was a few years ago, but changed his position between then and the referendum.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/eu-referendum-boris-johnson-brexit-support-single-market-leave-european-union-video-a7089991.html
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,291
    Come on Gorton, please do the UK a favour and do the deed; finish Jezza off.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    isam said:
    They are already calling it Black Wednesday! (and it has also been upgraded to an 'ultra-hard' brexit!)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,115

Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Is which not a simple fact? "Thousands" in the headline or "tens of thousands" in the text? It can't be both, except in the really tedious sense that one is a subset of the other, because the intention is clearly to identify the right order of magnitude. To recognise it as a fact, we need evidence of some kind. The estimate made by the police is usually regarded as reliable, or we could look at aerial photos. Have you sought evidence of either kind, or do you just (logically!) think it must be true because it's on the internet?
    It looks like turnout wasn't bad, but certainly not on the scale the organisers were hoping for.
    And by the same token more than Brexiteers were hoping for.
    I can't speak for them, but I would have thought that the march actually happening, and resembling a wet fart, was a better result than no march at all.

And the bigger story (this is not tailored trolling btw, I was going to say this anyway) is that the Grauniad has a turnout of in to me.

If the SNP get 51% or more in the local elections they have a case they would win an indyref2, if not, they won't
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Roger said:

OT Though I like John Piennar the interview on radio 5 at the moment with John McClusky is not his finest. It becomes more obvious by the hour that Labour are forever finished. The only remaining question is who it brings down with it. This is certainly worse than militant and this time there's no Kinnock

The tories are not inhereby popular. The Lib Dems are creeping up when they need to soar. Labour Rebels woukd rather Quit Politics Than Quit Labour, Which Means The Scope for Revival Is There. They're going nowhere.
    Labour are down but not out. A Kier or Yvette, and failing Brexit plans & NHS on the slide could dramatically change the next GE result. It is a race against time.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Is which not a simple fact? "Thousands" in the headline or "tens of thousands" in the text? It can't be both, except in the really tedious sense that one is a subset of the other, because the intention is clearly to identify the right order of magnitude. To recognise it as a fact, we need evidence of some kind. The estimate made by the police is usually regarded as reliable, or we could look at aerial photos. Have you sought evidence of either kind, or do you just (logically!) think it must be true because it's on the internet?
    It looks like turnout wasn't bad, but certainly not on the scale the organisers were hoping for.
    I can't speak for them, but I would have thought that the march actually happening, and resembling a wet fart, was a better result than no march at all.

And the bigger story (this is not tailored trolling btw, I was going to say this anyway) is that the Grauniad has a turnout of in to me.

If the SNP get 51% or more in the local elections they have a case they would win an indyref2, if not, they won't
    I will let you into a secret , lots of people who are not SNP also support independence. Now you know one fact about Scotland.
  • Options
    On the topic. There's a long way to go on impeachment, but I still think Trump wont make the full four years.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    surbiton said:

Americans are sceptical about the political system but very protective of the institution of the Presidency, so it would take a great deal to move impeachment into the realms of serious possibility. If Flynn were to say that he had conspired with Russia on Trump's orders to affect the outcome of the election, that would do it - not much less. It's probably true to say that there is a majority in the Senate (not sure about the House) who don't actually approve of Trump and would prefer his vice-president.

Personally, I prefer Trump to Pence on current evidence. His willingness to give up on Obamacare shows his lack of real hard-edged conservative ideology. Pence is the real deal. We need to be thankful for small mercies.

The right wing [ as opposed to the Alt-Right ] will prefer Pence any day. They really don't believe Trump is one of them. Apart from anything else, he is too unpredictable.

Nonetheless, Trump has a third of Americans rock solid behind him.

[ P.S. Useless anecdote. I was looking at our Mexican subsidiaries sales in 2017. Up 23% on last year with a week to go ! ]
    Trump only goes if both Chambers of Congress vote to impeach him and as they are now GOP controlled if they do Trump voters will stay at home in the 2018 midterms as their dislike of Ryan would turn to outright loathing and Pelosi and Schumer would sweep the board. Which is why they won't
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,238
    edited March 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

Gawd, oil price and Anglo neep & tattying klaxon; shocking missed opportunity to insert an hilarious haggis trope there.

The principle is WE should get to decide, whether its EU membership, bedroom tax or windmills. Get back to me when you have a spontaneous outbreak of popular support for the other Union.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,041
    Charles said:

RoyalBlue said:

Johnson’s been too busy mending fences with his former best mate!
  • Options

Roger said:

malcolmg said:

english fizz mr CR !
    yuk

The tasters found a difference, the English wines were superior. I know you must find this radically shocking.
    Putting a bit of carbonation in is a fairly straightforward way to make an acidic thin white wine saleable. Mind you, I am not much of a fan of proper champers either. I leave it for the ladies.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

Americans are sceptical about the political system but very protective of the institution of the Presidency, so it would take a great deal to move impeachment into the realms of serious possibility. If Flynn were to say that he had conspired with Russia on Trump's orders to affect the outcome of the election, that would do it - not much less. It's probably true to say that there is a majority in the Senate (not sure about the House) who don't actually approve of Trump and would prefer his vice-president.

Personally, I prefer Trump to Pence on current evidence. His willingness to give up on Obamacare shows his lack of real hard-edged conservative ideology. Pence is the real deal. We need to be thankful for small mercies.

The right wing [ as opposed to the Alt-Right ] will prefer Pence any day. They really don't believe Trump is one of them. Apart from anything else, he is too unpredictable.

[ P.S. Useless anecdote. I was looking at our Mexican subsidiaries sales in 2017. Up 23% on last year with a week to go ! ]
    Trump only goes if both Chambers of Congress vote to impeach him and as they are now GOP controlled if they do Trump voters will stay at home in the 2018 midterms as their dislike of Ryan would turn to outright loathing and Pelosi and Schumer would sweep the board. Which is why they won't
    I think 2016 Trump voters might be just as much p@£$%d off with the man himself by then.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

I remember going on an anti Nice Treaty march which had just as many marchers as the pro EU one yesterday and the BBC did not mention it at all. Unless a march gets over 100,000 like the pro fox hunting, anti Iraq War and anti student fees march the BBC policy is to barely mention if they mention it at all. Yesterday's march has no mention at all now on the front page of the BBC news website
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Ishmael_Z said:

Gawd, oil price and Anglo neep & tattying klaxon; shocking missed opportunity to insert an hilarious haggis trope there.

The principle is WE should get to decide, whether its EU membership, bedroom tax or windmills. Get back to me when you have a spontaneous outbreak of popular support for the other Union.
    Try distinguishing between predictions and aspirations, p'raps? As a matter of fact I agree wholeheartedly that YOU should get to decide. I was just commenting on the prospects of success this time round.
  • Options

Roger said:

malcolmg said:

english fizz mr CR !
    yuk

Putting a bit of carbonation in is a fairly straightforward way to make an acidic thin white wine saleable. Mind you, I am not much of a fan of proper champers either. I leave it for the ladies.
    I seem to recall an old Scots joke about someone preferring whisky to ‘Continental mineral waters.'
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    isam said:
    An interesting yet depressing article. You must ave found common ground with this;

"A more enlightened Conservative prime minister, better attuned to the “one nation” tradition of the party of Disraeli and Macmillan, less in thrall to Little Englanders, and less intimidated by the peculiarly vicious and Manichaean worldview of the Daily Mail, would have taken a more consensual approach. Yet despite her promises when she became prime minister, Theresa May has failed to heal the divisions caused by Brexit".
  • Options

Roger said:

malcolmg said:

english fizz mr CR !
    yuk

Don't belittle the crisis for Roger. The world of PB's premier champagne socialist has come to grief.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

I think 2016 Trump voters might be just as much p@£$%d off with the man himself by then.
    Unless he is caught in bed with Chelsea Clinton I doubt it and even then some would let him off
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Ishmael_Z said:

Headlines have to be short. It would only be an anomaly the other way round.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

I will let you into a secret , lots of people who are not SNP also support independence. Now you know one fact about Scotland.
    SNP vote Holyrood 2011 45%, Yes vote indyref 2014 45%
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

Unless he is caught in bed with Chelsea Clinton I doubt it and even then some would let him off
    Hmm; suspect he’ll ‘have let them down like all the others.'
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983
    Roger said:

isam said:
    An interesting yet depressing article. You must ave found common ground with this;

"A more enlightened Conservative prime minister, better attuned to the “one nation” tradition of the party of Disraeli and Macmillan, less in thrall to Little Englanders, and less intimidated by the peculiarly vicious and Manichaean worldview of the Daily Mail, would have taken a more consensual approach. Yet despite her promises when she became prime minister, Theresa May has failed to heal the divisions caused by Brexit".
    The people that lost won't let the government get on with it, that's the reason the divisions haven't healed. They will look back on their behaviour with extreme embarrassment in years to come, I would have thought.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

I definitely didn't need that mental picture!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

There are also people that vote SNP that don't support independence.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052
    Greetings all.

The big story of today is not Russia, or Brexit or any of that boring stuff. No, the big story is the Saarland elections in Germany. Last fought in 2012, the Saarland was once the home of Germany's heavy industry: it was the home of coal, and steel, and lots of manufacturing.

But the decline of coal, and Germany's focus on integrating the East has meant that the Saarland is one of the poorer West German Laander. (Bonus fact: back in 1999, I was the analyst at Goldman Sachs who took public the Saarland's only meaningful tech company.) The Saarland is majority Catholic and has been run by a CDU-SPD coalition since the last elections.

Both the AfD and Linke had been polling well in the Saarland until quite recently. The AfD has, of course, done very well in former East German state elections, and it will be interesting to see how they do today.

Worth noting that last time around the Pirates got something like 7% of the vote, and are likely to be all but wiped out this time around. Everyone should see a small bump, one would think.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,954

Come on Gorton, please do the UK a favour and do the deed; finish Jezza off.
    Not a chance. Of either.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

They're called Scots.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,000
    edited March 2017
    Mr. 1000, the big story is clearly the first race of the new F1 season.

Edited extra bit: so the election is for a Saarland parliament/assembly?
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

True though they cancel put any pro independence voters from the main Unionist parties and the Greens so the SNP total is a good estimate of the size of the pro independence vote
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Roger said:

malcolmg said:

english fizz mr CR !
    yuk

a lot of champagne these days is just acidic piss
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

There is one big difference between 2016 and 2018 despite the gerrymandering of boundaries. The election is not decided by Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Florida and one or two smaller states. The whole country's votes will matter.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Greetings all.

The big story of today is not Russia, or Brexit or any of that boring stuff. No, the big story is the Saarland elections in Germany. Last fought in 2012, the Saarland was once the home of Germany's heavy industry: it was the home of coal, and steel, and lots of manufacturing.

But the decline of coal, and Germany's focus on integrating the East has meant that the Saarland is one of the poorer West German Laander. (Bonus fact: back in 1999, I was the analyst at Goldman Sachs who took public the Saarland's only meaningful tech company.) The Saarland is majority Catholic and has been run by a CDU-SPD coalition since the last elections.

Both the AfD and Linke had been polling well in the Saarland until quite recently. The AfD has, of course, done very well in former East German state elections, and it will be interesting to see how they do today.

Worth noting that last time around the Pirates got something like 7% of the vote, and are likely to be all but wiped out this time around. Everyone should see a small bump, one would think.

CompuGroup?
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    HYUFD said:

And your evidence that those groups of voters are congruent is what exactly?
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Greetings all.

CompuGroup?
    Isn't Koblenz in the Rheinland-Palatinate?

It was IDS Scheer, an IT services company that was acquired by Software AG.
  • Options

Roger said:

malcolmg said:

english fizz mr CR !
    yuk

Nah, that's just the Remainers
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

'Introducing the party conference, May writes: “We will also be looking forward to the local elections in May, when voters across Scotland will have the chance to send a clear message to the SNP that they do not want a second independence referendum, by voting Scottish Conservative and Unionist on 4 May.”'

If the Scottish Conservative and Unionist get 51% or more in the local elections they have a case they would win an indyref2, if not, they won't.
  • Options

Charles said:

RoyalBlue said:

Has the wound healed yet ?
  • Options

Mr. 1000, the big story is clearly the first race of the new F1 season.

Edited extra bit: so the election is for a Saarland parliament/assembly?

Elections to this place - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landtag_of_the_Saarland
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Another secret for you , not all who vote SNP vote want independence, two facts you know now.
  • Options
    Roger said:

malcolmg said:

english fizz mr CR !
    yuk

• Options
    Mr. D, cheers.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

True though they cancel put any pro independence voters from the main Unionist parties and the Greens so the SNP total is a good estimate of the size of the pro independence vote
    Had some excellent Argentine sparkling chardonnay (and pinot noir) recently. Made by Moët & Chandon, who have started expanding into the Southern Hemisphere.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Charles said:

RoyalBlue said:

Has the wound healed yet ?
    I suspect neither of them left their glasses unobserved.

• Options

HYUFD said:

Statement of the obvious, given over 90% of SNP voters voted Yes
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Another secret for you , not all who vote SNP vote want independence, two facts you know now.
    when are you coming out of the SNP closet malc ? :-)
  • Options
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

There is one big difference between 2016 and 2018 despite the gerrymandering of boundaries. The election is not decided by Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Florida and one or two smaller states. The whole country's votes will matter.
    I certainly think the Democrats have a strong chance of taking the House
  • Options
    There seems to be a dearth of alt right pish lately, so just to redress that a wee bit.

https://twitter.com/RealAlexJones/status/845712639233789954
  • Options

HYUFD said:

'Introducing the party conference, May writes: “We will also be looking forward to the local elections in May, when voters across Scotland will have the chance to send a clear message to the SNP that they do not want a second independence referendum, by voting Scottish Conservative and Unionist on 4 May.”'

If the Scottish Conservative and Unionist get 51% or more in the local elections they have a case they would win an indyref2, if not, they won't.
    Except Labour and the LDs and UKIP are still all Unionist parties too
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Statement of the obvious, given over 90% of SNP voters voted Yes
    You have Unionists who vote SNP in Holyrood elections because they think they are the best party to govern Scotland, separatists who vote Green, Labour or some other left wing party, people who for some reason didn't vote in one of those, people who changed their minds in 3 years... and possibly some others I haven't thought of.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,954
    edited March 2017
    What a twat. AT least he doesn't pretend to care about the constituency when he talks of running against Carswell, he just hates the man.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

'A Panelbase poll of 1,028 voters found 14% of those who were likely to vote planned to give their first preference to Kezia Dugdale’s party in May when “don’t knows” are excluded.

Support for the SNP was at 47%, the Scottish Conservatives were on 26%, the Liberal Democrats 5%, the Greens 4% and Ukip 3%'

Do the math are our Septic cousins might say.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, charming comment by Banks.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052

Roger said:

malcolmg said:

english fizz mr CR !
    yuk

To be fair I'm not sure Roger has ever called himself a socialist. He's always struck me as a very particular sort of Labour supporter, more influenced by culture than economics perhaps.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    kle4 said:

Roger said:

OT Though I like John Piennar the interview on radio 5 at the moment with John McClusky is not his finest. It becomes more obvious by the hour that Labour are forever finished. The only remaining question is who it brings down with it. This is certainly worse than militant and this time there's no Kinnock

It was of interest only to political obsessives, and we are the only ones who noticed. Seems fair.
    Who is John McClusky?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

'A Panelbase poll of 1,028 voters found 14% of those who were likely to vote planned to give their first preference to Kezia Dugdale’s party in May when “don’t knows” are excluded.

Support for the SNP was at 47%, the Scottish Conservatives were on 26%, the Liberal Democrats 5%, the Greens 4% and Ukip 3%'

Was the poll done after Indyref2 announcement?
  • Options
    Arron Banks is now a qualified psychiatrist his he? I suppose that fits with his party leader who says he played professional football and has a PhD.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    The Tories came very close there at the November 1967 by election - albeit on rather different boundaries.
  • Options
    Banks might consider that Carswell is the only Ukip candidate to win a seat.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, but it's the last Scottish council polling I think.

The last Holyrood poll was taken after.

SNP 51% (+3)
    Conservatives 24% (-1)
    Labour 14% (-1)
    Liberal Democrats 6% (n/c)
    Greens 4% (+1)
    UKIP 1% (n/c)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, but its the last Scottish council polling I think.

SNP 51% (+3)
    Conservatives 24% (-1)
    Labour 14% (-1)
    Greens 4% (+1)
    UKIP 1% (n/c)
    Scottish Tories, down one? Simply not possible....
  • Options
    A day out in Momentum Land:

"They think they have popular policies and getting out on the streets wearing badges “saying coal not dole” will win the election. They are wrong wrong wrong."

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/momentum-conference-corbynism-corbynites-labour-party-birmingham-jeremy-corbyn-john-mcdonnell-a7650191.html
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Not sure what Aaron Banks’ motivation is, or what he’s trying to achieve. He appears hell bent on damaging Carswell, UKIP and his own reputation all in one go. What is apparent is having money obviously doesn’t buy you brains or class.
  • Options

Banks might consider that Carswell is the only Ukip candidate to win a seat.

Though Banks has left UKIP too.

Delusional alt.right haters fighting like rats in a sack both in UK and USA. That is what are politics has sunk too. Fortunately in Europe they have learned by our mistakes.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116

Not sure what Aaron Banks’ motivation is, or what he’s trying to achieve. He appears hell bent on damaging Carswell, UKIP and his own reputation all in one go. What is apparent is having money obviously doesn’t buy you brains or class.

He thinks that behaving like this will turn him into the UK's Donald Trump.
  • Options

There seems to be a dearth of alt right pish lately, so just to redress that a wee bit.

https://twitter.com/RealAlexJones/status/845712639233789954

Didn't you see the big march yesterday? Over 100,000 Muslims marched on Buckingham Palace with placards such as: "Convert or Go" and "Burqua or We'll Butch'a". It just goes to show the liberal media covers up anything inconvenient to them.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Carswell again refuses to say he won't be standing as a Tory at the next GE on Sunday Politics

By his own past statements, he has to call a by election or be seen as a complete hypocrite. He advised Labour MPs to quit and join ukip or go independent, but said they had to call a by election
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,026
    RoyalBlue said:

Signs of life from the red team. They are in a coma but an eyelid is flickering.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,770
    edited March 2017
    malcolmg said:

About 15% of SNP supporters at any particular time. Support for the SNP and independence waxes and wanes in lockstep with individuals churning along the way. Also 15% of independence supporters will vote a party other than the SNP. An 85% correlation is near perfect in this context. It also shows that independence is a much more salient an issue for Scottish voters than anything else. Consequently the SNP can be utterly incompetent* in government and it wouldn't affect their vote much, as long as long as they can tap into a pro-independence wellspring.

* I am talking hypothetically. The SNP don't NEED to be competent to win power. IF they ARE competent, that's a bonus.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

RoyalBlue said:

Signs of life from the red team. They are in a coma but an eyelid is flickering.
    Starmer has effectively got Jezza and co. to agree to the strong possibility of GE before 2020 by announcing this plan. May's majority is tight on Brexit if Ken, Osborne and Sourby and a handful of others abstain on a final Brexit deal.
  • Options

He thinks that behaving like this will turn him into the UK's Donald Trump.
    He needs to get a major TV show first though.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, but its the last Scottish council polling I think.

SNP 51% (+3)
    Conservatives 24% (-1)
    Labour 14% (-1)
    Greens 4% (+1)
    UKIP 1% (n/c)
    Scottish Tories, down one? Simply not possible....
    Reverse surge.
  • Options
    Rings of steel and SAS on standby.. WE WILL NOT LET THEM AFFECT US!

I'm sure it was just like this in the 60s, society hasn't changed

https://twitter.com/dailymailuk/status/845955609371594752
  • Options
    isam said:

Carswell again refuses to say he won't be standing as a Tory at the next GE on Sunday Politics

By his own past statements, he has to call a by election or be seen as a complete hypocrite. He advised Labour MPs to quit and join ukip or go independent, but said they had to call a by election

Presumably he could defect back just a couple of months before an election.

Whether he would be selected as PPC for the Tories in Clacton may not be certain. Some there may well be pissed off at his previous antics.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

RoyalBlue said:

Starmer has effectively got Jezza and co. to agree to the strong possibility of GE before 2020 by announcing this plan. May's majority is tight on Brexit if Ken, Osborne and Sourby and a handful of others abstain on a final Brexit deal.
    Only Tory backbenchers who want to hand their seats on a platter to UKIP will vote down Brexit
  • Options

isam said:

Presumably he could defect back just a couple of months before an election.

Whether he would be selected as PPC for the Tories in Clacton may not be certain. Some there may well be pissed off at his previous antics.
    He is meant to be Mr Honourable, although someone who has stood under three different banners in theee years might usually be seen as shifty, but he shouldn't be allowed to get away with not calling a by election now. He said himself that it has to be done
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

As Independents will poll 10-12% of the vote in the local elections compared to less than 1% in this poll , the figures are as useful as a bucket of sick .
  • Options
    isam said:

Rings of steel and SAS on standby.. WE WILL NOT LET THEM AFFECT US!

I'm sure it was just like this in the 60s, society hasn't changed

https://twitter.com/dailymailuk/status/845955609371594752

In the Seventies it was. I remember door searches in department stores then.
  • Options
    Off for a bit, and will be watching the highlights. My post-race analysis (obviously full of results spoilers) is up here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/australia-post-race-analysis-2017.html
This discussion has been closed.