Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UKIP drops to ZERO MPs following Carswell’s decision to leave

13»

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Floater said:

Keir Starmer is, according to Guardian, to make big speech on Monday on Labour's future.

I expect this to adjust his odds a little bit, if it gets picked up by media - currently 6.6.

I'm on at 20, so happy with that.

Is it a winding up order?
    Perhaps its positive news on long lost elite ground force, including PB's IoS....found still wandering aimlessly around Nuneaton.
    Stuck out in the field like those Japanese WW2 soldiers in the jungle.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Danny565 said:

Does anyone really think the good Labour voters of Stoke-on-Trent, Barnsley and the like are going to be drawn back to the party by Keir Starmer, of all people?

Probably if has a sensible immigration policy with a sensible shadow cabinet.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    David Lammy tells the people of Belarus: "We live in a dictatorship!":

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39393351
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    isam said:
    Ah, it's the old literally, figuratively and seriously thing again.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,993
    edited March 2017
    What happens if Regionally elected Members of the Welsh Assembly resign? Or die?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
    Danny565 said:

Keir Starmer is, according to Guardian, to make big speech on Monday on Labour's future.

I expect this to adjust his odds a little bit, if it gets picked up by media - currently 6.6.

Oh God, he's not an answer to a single one of the party's problems.
    Why not? A credible PM figure would stabilise things massively.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    The Guardian describing Tim Farron as the "political leader of the Remain movement".

Rather odd description for the party which is still only 3rd even AMONG REMAIN VOTERS.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited March 2017
    Surely Carswell is hoist by his own petard re a by election

Here is what he advised Labour MPs to do, back in 2015

"Insist on a by-election. Between 1701 and 1918, a by-election had to be called every time an MP was invited to join the government. Think of it as a sort of confirmation hearing. Insist on a by-election to confirm your move with the electorate. It's the only honourable way. Incidentally, there is no disgrace if they do say "No". What would be disgraceful would be to live life subservient to people you cannot respect

He is saying he doesn't need to trigger a by election as he is not going to another party, but in the same piece he says

"...join UKIP. I did, and I've never enjoyed being an MP more. Many of your party's traditional supporters have already made the move. Come with us. If those are not the sort of things you believe in, then why not run as an independent? Seriously. The days when we can do politics without big, corporate parties is coming."

"Why not RUN as an independent" Douglas?

http://www.talkcarswell.com/home/how-to-resign-and-spark-a-tricky-byelection/2931#.WNZzbKeV1F4.twitter
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Barnesian said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

A party backing remain would have to win a majority of seats at the next election. Seems unlikely, and at that point we'll have already left (deal or not).

Imagine if the LibDems got 33% at the next General Election, and - together with the SNP - commanded a parliamentary majority. You would then have the awkward situation where perhaps 37% of the population voted pro-Remain/EU, but parties with those views were in charge.
    I keep an exponential moving average of GE polls and do a linear extrapolation to May 2020.

Currently it has Con 42%, Lab 27%, LD 10% and UKIP 11%.

The linear extrapolation has Con 53%, Lab 8%, LD 28% and UKIP 5% in May 2020!
    Trends continue - but not for ever..

My charting says Labour 19% and then a bounce..
    Labour's vote share has not actually fallen overall since the end of November last year. The higher Tory lead is due to an increase in Tory support at UKIP's expense.
  • Options
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Danny565 said:

The Guardian describing Tim Farron as the "political leader of the Remain movement".

Rather odd description for the party which is still only 3rd even AMONG REMAIN VOTERS.

34% of 2015 Lib Dems think we were right to Brexit. I'm not proficient in bar charts but it was something like 25% last summer.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Is it a winding up order?
    Announcement that they are being sectioned?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Doesn't all this sort of miss the point? UKIP procured Brexit - one of the most sensational outcomes in the history of British democracy - despite having at any given time between two and, as the threader shrieks, ZERO MPs. Assume someone wins the biggest poker jackpot ever: if you say yebbut the guy was a total douche plus he was bluffing with nothing but a pair of 2s in his hand, it seems to me that that makes the achievement more impressive, not less.

I suspect finessing in bridge might be a better analogy than bluffing in poker, but card games bewilder me.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    I was working 25 yards from the Edinburgh soap dodgers today. Every Scot I asked was perplexed...
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

I was working 25 yards from the Edinburgh soap dodgers today. Every Scot I asked was perplexed...

Well Thank YOU for the invite!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    edited March 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

Doesn't all this sort of miss the point? UKIP procured Brexit - one of the most sensational outcomes in the history of British democracy - despite having at any given time between two and, as the threader shrieks, ZERO MPs. Assume someone wins the biggest poker jackpot ever: if you say yebbut the guy was a total douche plus he was bluffing with nothing but a pair of 2s in his hand, it seems to me that that makes the achievement more impressive, not less.

I suspect finessing in bridge might be a better analogy than bluffing in poker, but card games bewilder me.

Some UKIP supporters (Carswell, Richard Tyndall, for example.) only ever saw UKIP as a mean to achieve an end (Brexit).

Others see a role for a socially conservative, anti-immigration, economically populist, party.

I think there is a gap in the market for that UKIP (aka the Patriotic Alliance, and Veritas). But it's not currently a very big gap. Perhaps if Mrs May delivered an ultra-soft Brexit then there would be a bigger gap, but currently this gap is 10-15% of the population.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Is he defecting to Ukip to get his hands on all that Short money?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    isam said:

Mortimer said:

:)

We have some great snaps of our human a-board advertising the book fair surrounded by Police keeping an eye. Makes him look like a VIP!
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    isam said:

Mortimer said:

I was invited but told to keep it a secret.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    New thread.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    Mortimer said:

isam said:

Mortimer said:

:)

We have some great snaps of our human a-board advertising the book fair surrounded by Police keeping an eye. Makes him look like a VIP!
    Seems a little excessive.

https://twitter.com/parcelorogues/status/845653983452631040
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    Mortimer said:

Welcome back to PB :)
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    chestnut said:

Danny565 said:

34% of 2015 Lib Dems think we were right to Brexit. I'm not proficient in bar charts but it was something like 25% last summer.
    I'm one of them. There is zero chance of me voting LD next time if they're standing on a Rejoin platform.
This discussion has been closed.