Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

124»

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,793

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Con MSP not happy

Jackson Carlaw MSP‏Verified account @Carlaw4Eastwood 6m6 minutes ago

Absolutely disgraceful conduct from @strathearnrose in response to PO suspension of @ScotParl - totally unbecoming.

What was the disgraceful conduct?
    May be related to this

Monica Lennon‏Verified account @MonicaLennon7 31m31 minutes ago

Monica Lennon Retweeted Jamie Ross
    Disappointed to hear groans coming from the SNP benches in response to a request for business being suspended.
    I think it's fair to say some Nats have not covered themselves in glory today.....
    Fair to say that there's no situation too low for you to limbo under to make a political point.
    Would you like me to post some of their finer contributions?
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    It seems that the attackers were a fairly incompetent bunch (compared to, say, the Paris attacks). Not incompetent enough, sadly, and I have a horrible feeling the casualty count will tick up over the next few hours. What utter, utter, utter, shitbags.

Also, I'm beginning to wonder about my propensity to end up in places which have recently been attacked:

- I got a job in Holborn which started a few weeks ofter 7/7 (I could see Russell Square from my window)
    - I had a business meeting actually at Brussels Airport 5 days after last year's attack
    - I start a new job 200m from Parliament Square next Monday. Buggered if these murderous fucksticks are going to change anything I do though.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Tim_B said:

BBC reporting that one of the dead is a police officer.

Simply awful awful awful.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Has ken mentioned Hitler yet?

havent seen too much from young Sadiq so far, has he said anything ?

Boris the honey monster wouldnt have been off the screens for the last 2 hours
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    The news networks here are covering this wall-to-wall. It looks like an impressive and highly competent police response.

I have to say those rinky dink little police vehicles look a bit comical though. But at least they're better than diesel Astras.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Anorak said:

It seems that the attackers were a fairly incompetent bunch (compared to, say, the Paris attacks). Not incompetent enough, sadly, and I have a horrible feeling the casualty count will tick up over the next few hours. What utter, utter, utter, shitbags.

Also, I'm beginning to wonder about my propensity to end up in places which have recently been attacked:

- I got a job in Holborn which started a few weeks ofter 7/7 (I could see Russell Square from my window)
    - I had a business meeting actually at Brussels Airport 5 days after last year's attack
    - I start a new job 200m from Parliament Square next Monday. Buggered if these murderous fucksticks are going to change anything I do though.

These attacks tend to stiffen my resolve. After Orlando last year, I volunteered to work at Pride for London - just so that I could do my bit.

Today's events only make me want to do something positive.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,370
    notme said:

notme said:

As for plato and notme trying to use it to score political points, a little bit of restraint for 24 hours or so might be good, from any political viewpoint whatever. There's a time for political jibes, and a time to have a short pause.

Fair point.
    Though Ken Livingstone is on LBC now blaming Boris for winding down community policing. Which he helpfully pointed out he introduced and Khan is reintroducing.

Yes, the same goes for him.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

Mr. Notme, did Livingstone refer to his policy High Intensity Training of Law Enforcement Response?

Bravo!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited March 2017
    BBC's Norman Smith: attacker got through main entrance to Parliament, got surprisingly close to MPs, about 10-15 yards away.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    PlatoSaid said:

Tim_B said:

PlatoSaid said:

SeanT said:

A woman has been pulled ALIVE from the River Thames

Apparently she deliberately dived in, off the bridge, to escape the car

That's a miraculous escape. The fall alone should kill you.
    Bridge jumping is apparently one of the nastiest ways to go - your legs are busted and pushed into your torso. Hopefully, the lady isn't terribly injured.
    We once had a speaker at my Rotary Club who was a parachutist whose chute didn't open, yet he lived to tell the tale.

He was asked what was the last thing that went through his mind. I immediately piped up "His feet!"
    I saw a docu with someone who'd jumped - they totally busted their legs on impact, had hips pushed up and couldn't do anything to save themselves once they realised they weren't dead.

Ended up washed onto river bank - said hitting the water was like meeting freezing cold concrete.
    I bet the docu was about a bridge much higher than Westminster Bridge. This is 10 mins from where I grew up, and a comparable height above the water (nothing bad happens in the vid).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w0uijJZGrE
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,177
    Norman Smith talking normally about the terrorist incident.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Trump has spoken with PM May. Phew. We can relax now.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Anorak said:

I start a new job 200m from Parliament Square next Monday. Buggered if these murderous fucksticks are going to change anything I do though.

These attacks tend to stiffen my resolve. After Orlando last year, I volunteered to work at Pride for London - just so that I could do my bit.

Today's events only make me want to do something positive.
    Good for you!! I suspect some of the motivation for the attacks is to 'stiffen resolve' across the West, rather than force a capitulation. They're after a holy war which they think they are preordained to win.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    SeanT said:

A friend of mine is on "lockdown in the Gherkin".

He says it's a phrase he never expected to use.

The Gherkin? That's nowhere near. Is there another incident?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    edited March 2017
    french party from Lycce St Josephe in Concarneau in Brittainy
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    SeanT said:

BBC again saying TWO men

V confusing

Hopefully the Met's statement in a few minutes will afford us greater clarity
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,209
    AndyJS said:

BBC's Norman Smith: attacker got through main entrance to Parliament, got surprisingly close to MPs, about 10-15 yards away.

That's concerning given it takes more than a smile to get in.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    New thread
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Tim_B said:

The news networks here are covering this wall-to-wall. It looks like an impressive and highly competent police response.

I have to say those rinky dink little police vehicles look a bit comical though. But at least they're better than diesel Astras.

I've a lot of USA followers on Twitter and they're all appalled/thinking its very close to home for them.

I still haven't processed this yet - it's too surreal. The death of a police officer is particularly sad - Tobias Elwood is the man of today who tried to save him. He's a dual British American citizen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobias_Ellwood
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    I have never had occasion to look at the Channel 4 news website before, but I see that it doesn't mention the Westminster event at all. Their main story is about Martin McGuinness...
This discussion has been closed.