Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The PM will invoke Article 50 next week with the country still

1235»

Comments

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    BBC - Attacker 'was IS soldier'
    The so-called Islamic State terror group has claimed through its news agency that the Westminster attacker was a "soldier of the Islamic State".

As the terrorist’s identity is known, I wonder what benefit there is in not revealing it.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    IanB2 said:

LOL @ Emily Thornberry #bbcdp "Resources will never be finite"

Infinity, infinity. They've all got it infinity.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

An acquaintance of mine who is an ex-copper just posted something on fb contrasting May's fine (and deserved) words about the work of the police force with the way she filleted their pay, conditions and pensions when Home Secretary.

Just an observation....

The Home Secretary represents the taxpayers as well as the Police.
    And has her hands tied by the Treasury, as do all ministers.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

A Russian MP who fled Moscow fearing for his life at the hands of President Putin's secret service has been shot dead in the Ukrainian capital Kiev.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4342008/Russian-MP-fled-Moscow-shot-dead-Kiev.html

I think Putin's regime is looking increasingly unstable in light of the failure of the election of Trump to bring about the kind of thawing in relations they were expecting. The money is running out...
    The money seems to be the biggie. I read this morning that the Russian government's income has collapsed by about 60% over the past few years and, further, its grip on the supply of gas to Europe is being weakened by LNG coming from the USA.

Russia has embarked on a programme of rearmament, which may now run out of steam due to a shortage of funds or it may as per the Soviet days try to keep its military going at the expense of the civil economy. Either way stability does not look certain.
    Why is Russia spending so much on arms? Has Putin lost the plot or does he genuinely fear invasion from China?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    calum said:

HYUFD said:

calum said:

Formal confirmation S.30 debate and vote now on BREXIT Eve

https://twitter.com/ScotParl/status/844884194899759104

So will be quickly lost in all the news coverage of the triggering of Article 50 the next day
    Perhaps in rUK but not in 62% remaining Scotland !
    56% Unionist Scotland you mean, as reported by Sunday's Panelbase poll
  • Options
    JackW said:

For those who thought this morning that 90 minutes was too long for the House of Commons to question the Prime Minister on the death of a police officer, three other innocent people and the justified killing of a terrorist who attempted to attack our democracy, they may now be reassured that prior to such questions the House had discussed international trade and other issues.

Within the last ten minutes the Commons has been treated to issues related to Waltham Forest Parish Council and other less important matters.

"Does the Prime Minister agree with me that JackW can be a sanctimonious old feck?" Order! Order!
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,037

The so-called Islamic State terror group has claimed through its news agency that the Westminster attacker was a "soldier of the Islamic State".

As the terrorist’s identity is known, I wonder what benefit there is in not revealing it.

The BBC haven't quite finished anglicizing his name. He'll be 'Mike' from Birmingham by 5pm.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

Mr. Pulpstar, she must have attended the same maths class as Mhairi Black.

and Jim Murphy !
  • Options

HYUFD said:

calum said:

So will be quickly lost in all the news coverage of the triggering of Article 50 the next day
    I wonder if the EU's response will make any note of the decision of the Scottish parliament...
    Certainly not if Spain has anything to do with it
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    Dura_Ace said:

An important longer-term challenge is to try to lower the threshold at which people report acquaintances or even friends who seem to be thinking about doing this sort of thing. Most of us hesitate before reporting friends about anything - it goes against lots of good instincts and we don't want some sort of Stasi system where we all report anything from a dodgy joke to drunken hyperbole. And if we're in a community that rightly or wrongly feels beleaguered, the threshold is higher. But if a friend says "You know, I'm really thinking about doing something to take out some of those politician bastards" or something like that, people need to feel ready to warn someone.

How that's best done is not obvious to me - dialling 999 doesn't feel the most promising thing to urge. Maybe some sort of phoneline run by a respected non-governmental group with representatives from different communities who could discuss anything that people find worrying and persuade callers to take them to the police where appropriate?

This is worse than when you wanted to grass that locksmith for trying to do a cashie,
    Really? You feel that if you know someone who is talking about committing an act of terrorism, you shouldn't report it? I'd have thought there was quite a broad consensus that at some level it gets to the point where you need to "grass", without getting to the stage that every stray opinion gets reported. The difficulty is where to draw the line and how to encourage people to do it.

You don't agree?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

They are waiting in fear of a Channel 4 News exclusive indicating that the attacker was in fact an innocent motorist with a rogue sat nav that indicated the House of Commons had a resident knife sharpener in the Whips Office.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,145
    IanB2 said:

Labour and its ongoing problem understanding big numbers....
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983

An acquaintance of mine who is an ex-copper just posted something on fb contrasting May's fine (and deserved) words about the work of the police force with the way she filleted their pay, conditions and pensions when Home Secretary.

Just an observation....

As far as I can tell, the pay and pensions of police officers are not bad at all.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

A Russian MP who fled Moscow fearing for his life at the hands of President Putin's secret service has been shot dead in the Ukrainian capital Kiev.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4342008/Russian-MP-fled-Moscow-shot-dead-Kiev.html

I think Putin's regime is looking increasingly unstable in light of the failure of the election of Trump to bring about the kind of thawing in relations they were expecting. The money is running out...
    The money seems to be the biggie. I read this morning that the Russian government's income has collapsed by about 60% over the past few years and, further, its grip on the supply of gas to Europe is being weakened by LNG coming from the USA.

Russia has embarked on a programme of rearmament, which may now run out of steam due to a shortage of funds or it may as per the Soviet days try to keep its military going at the expense of the civil economy. Either way stability does not look certain.
    Why is Russia spending so much on arms? Has Putin lost the plot or does he genuinely fear invasion from China?
    Who knows what is really in the mind of Putin and his gang? I suspect it is a desire to be taken seriously again by the USA and, perhaps, by NATO. An attempt, if you will, to recover the glory days of the Soviet empire and to wipe out the embarrassment and shame of the 1990s. To defend against invasion from China would not require new classes of submarines.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Unless its their expenses claim !
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

IanB2 said:

Tories seem to be quite happy to talk about unlimited demand for healthcare and the welfare state when it suits them.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

JackW said:

For those who thought this morning that 90 minutes was too long for the House of Commons to question the Prime Minister on the death of a police officer, three other innocent people and the justified killing of a terrorist who attempted to attack our democracy, they may now be reassured that prior to such questions the House had discussed international trade and other issues.

Within the last ten minutes the Commons has been treated to issues related to Waltham Forest Parish Council and other less important matters.

"Does the Prime Minister agree with me that JackW can be a sanctimonious old feck?" Order! Order!
    Prime Minister - "It appears the honourable gentleman has broken his pledge made at 12:15pm that he would refrain from commenting on the issue. This is, Mr Speaker, a clear example on why the member should not take to arms against the most formidable Jacobite fine pie maker that this, the world's oldest parliament has ever known."

Resounding cheers in the House ....
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422

You can't invade the Crimea in T-34s.

Handy for civil control as well, as long as they're paid, fed and motivated.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,728
    Dura_Ace said:

The BBC haven't quite finished anglicizing his name. He'll be 'Mike' from Birmingham by 5pm.
    What a silly comment.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

calum said:

I wonder if the EU's response will make any note of the decision of the Scottish parliament...
    People need to get rid of the idea that the EU will try to 'take advantage's of the future SindyRef2 referendum in anyway.

Any threats to the territorial integrity of a nation by the EU would be the end of the EU.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Prime Minister - "It appears the honourable gentleman has broken his pledge made at 12:15pm that he wouldn't refrain from commenting on the issue. This is, Mr Speaker, a clear example on why the member should not take to arms against the most formidable Jacobite fine pie maker that this, the world's oldest parliament has ever known."

Nicely done!
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,237

Just an observation....

The Home Secretary represents the taxpayers as well as the Police.
    So you don't think the police deserved their conditions then?
  • Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

Prime Minister - "It appears the honourable gentleman has broken his pledge made at 12:15pm that he would refrain from commenting on the issue. This is, Mr Speaker, a clear example on why the member should not take to arms against the most formidable Jacobite fine pie maker that this, the world's oldest parliament has ever known."

Nicely done!
    Thank you.

Accordingly I have taken you off my comestibles donor list.

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,678
    Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

What was the context ?

Of course this is wrong - in any context !
    She just mis-spoke as you do, but amusing. She meant to say infinite.

Liam Byrne was very impressive I thought.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Sean_F said:

[The UK] never experienced dictatorship.

We could try it now. After all, we are a one party state with an appointed, unelected head of government.

May for El Presidente? :D

Unelected? The people of Maidenhead may beg to differ :)
    They voted for Theresa May MP not Theresa May PM. No one voted for Theresa May PM, not even Tory MPs. Her challenger dropped out and no vote was held.
    No, the Tory MPs *did* vote for her - more comprehensively than in any previous open election. Their role in the process as MPs was over when Leadsom dropped out, and May would have been elected under any of the previous 'MP only' versions of the Party's rules, given how the votes actually went.
    Do you think May would have won in a membership vote?
    Comfortably?
    Yes, and yes.

Remember, Cameron beat David Davis comfortably in 2005. Leadsom was sinking fast at the time she withdrew and several more weeks of proving that she wasn't up to it would have been more than enough. If there's one thing that Tory members like above all else, it's a winner.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Sean_F said:

We could try it now. After all, we are a one party state with an appointed, unelected head of government.

They voted for Theresa May MP not Theresa May PM. No one voted for Theresa May PM, not even Tory MPs. Her challenger dropped out and no vote was held.
    No, the Tory MPs *did* vote for her - more comprehensively than in any previous open election. Their role in the process as MPs was over when Leadsom dropped out, and May would have been elected under any of the previous 'MP only' versions of the Party's rules, given how the votes actually went.
    Comfortably?
    Yes, and yes.

Remember, Cameron beat David Davis comfortably in 2005. Leadsom was sinking fast at the time she withdrew and several more weeks of proving that she wasn't up to it would have been more than enough. If there's one thing that Tory members like above all else, it's a winner.
    Yes they certainly saw IDS as the all conquering genius he was back in 2001!
  • Options
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

calum said:

People need to get rid of the idea that the EU will try to 'take advantage's of the future SindyRef2 referendum in anyway.

Any threats to the territorial integrity of a nation by the EU would be the end of the EU.
    Indeed
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Sean_F said:

Comfortably?
    Yes, and yes.

Mind you, any Tory leader would have looked crap up against Blair in the 2001 era.

• Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

I think it's because the police need time to identify all possible accomplices. If he's named, they'll go to ground
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147

rkrkrk said:

Sean_F said:

Comfortably?
    Yes, and yes.

I think that's a complacent view. If Leadsom had had the mettle to ride out the storm over the 'as a mother' interview it's not impossible that she would have won. Mary Berry's case of foot-in-mouth this week shows that it's not an uncommon sentiment in the Tory shires.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Just an observation....

As far as I can tell, the pay and pensions of police officers are not bad at all.
    According to Herself (who is a retired member of the Plod and so pays attention to these things) the big filleting of police pensions occurred in April 2006, but only for new entrants as of that date.

From what I can gather it had to happen. Police Pensions are paid out of current income. Something like 82% of a police force's money goes out in salaries and pensions. If that figure ever got to 83.5% then there would not be enough cash to actually pay the bills for operations (petrol, uniforms, toilet paper and stuff). Mind you the 2006 reform also reduced the contributions made by officers from 11.5% of salary to something near 10%, so reduced benefits was accompanied by reduced payments. I am not sure the actuaries got that right so retirement terms were further downgraded in subsequent years for all officers.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

calum said:

Indeed
    I thought that claim was wrong until you endorsed it, expelling any remaining doubt from my mind. Why would that be the end of the EU?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Sean_F said:

Comfortably?
    Yes, and yes.

Mind you, any Tory leader would have looked crap up against Blair in the 2001 era.

Ken Clarke wouldn't. Indeed Ken Clarke may have been able to prevent Blair taking us into Iraq.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Sean_F said:

Comfortably?
    Yes, and yes.

IDS would look crap against anyone in any era....even Corbyn would fancy his chances
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

calum said:

Indeed
    I thought that claim was wrong until you endorsed it, expelling any remaining doubt from my mind. Why would that be the end of the EU?
    If the EU endorsed the independence of Scotland what is to stop them endorsing an independent Catalonia, Flanders, northern Italy, Bavaria or any other separatist movement in Europe, secessionist would seize on it as opening the floodgates and national governments would swiftly have to take action to stamp it out. Post a hypothetical independent Scotland maybe but not before
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited March 2017
    Raises some interesting questions along with Beth Rigby saying the plod on the gates are always unarmed. It could have been a lot lot worse is a) fallon not in the commons, b) attacker was armed with more than a knife.

https://order-order.com/2017/03/23/michael-fallons-bodyguard-shot-attacker-dead/
  • Options

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Sean_F said:

Comfortably?
    Yes, and yes.

Though Clarke rather less so but his EU views killed him
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

calum said:

Not yet anyway. If the talks do go south, Spain's concern's will be overridden, and there will be comments made about how the Scottish case doesn't resemble the Catalan one (and they don't), especially if France and Germany both get on board. Not out of any great desire to see Scotland independent or join the EU, but because the breakup of the UK would be a very potent message about the dangers of Brexit to other member states.

Of course, as it would pretty much destroy UK-EU relations to be seen as openly encouraging Scottish independence, it's very much only the nuclear option if talks completely break down.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

calum said:

Indeed
    If the EU endorsed the independence of Scotland what is to stop them endorsing an independent Catalonia, Flanders, northern Italy, Bavaria or any other separatist movement in Europe, secessionist would seize on it as opening the floodgates and national governments would swiftly have to take action to stamp it out. Post a hypothetical independent Scotland maybe but not me
    The only precedent it would set is that if a country that is itself a union invokes Article 50, it can expect the EU to be sympathetic towards those parts of the union that wish to remain in the EU.

As a formerly sovereign state Scotland is in a different position to most other hypothetical examples.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

calum said:

Indeed
    If the EU endorsed the independence of Scotland what is to stop them endorsing an independent Catalonia, Flanders, northern Italy, Bavaria or any other separatist movement in Europe, secessionist would seize on it as opening the floodgates and national governments would swiftly have to take action to stamp it out. Post a hypothetical independent Scotland maybe but not me
    As long as they remain part of EU what's the big problem ?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    midwinter said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Sean_F said:

Comfortably?
    Yes, and yes.

IDS would look crap against anyone in any era....even Corbyn would fancy his chances
    Steady on. IDS wasn't as bad as Corbyn is.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I think this got lost in all the drama yesterday:

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/844666461385842689

The precision is, of course, ridiculous. The thrust of the numbers is interesting, though it seems to me to understate the chance of a shock. @Cyan will be appalled to see that his horse isn't even listed as a starter.

For completeness, this was the site's closing prediction for the US election:

http://www.thecrosstab.com/2016 Forecast/
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

calum said:

Not yet anyway. If the talks do go south, Spain's concern's will be overridden, and there will be comments made about how the Scottish case doesn't resemble the Catalan one (and they don't), especially if France and Germany both get on board. Not out of any great desire to see Scotland independent or join the EU, but because the breakup of the UK would be a very potent message about the dangers of Brexit to other member states.

Of course, as it would pretty much destroy UK-EU relations to be seen as openly encouraging Scottish independence, it's very much only the nuclear option if talks completely break down.
    Two can play at that game, however.

If hypothetically speaking, the EU were to back the SNP and Sinn Fein, as punishment for Brexit, what would prevent the British government in turn backing Russia's ambitions in Eastern Europe?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

Raises some interesting questions along with Beth Rigby saying the plod on the gates are always unarmed. It could have been a lot lot worse is a) fallon not in the commons, b) attacker was armed with more than a knife.

https://order-order.com/2017/03/23/michael-fallons-bodyguard-shot-attacker-dead/

The vast majority of all of the police are unarmed. Anyone of them could be attacked, anywhere, at any time. Is there an argument for the routine arming of all police officers, or just those surrounding Parliament?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

calum said:

Comments could be made but a Pandora's box would be opened and Catalonian nationalists would seize on it and Germany would of course have to bear in mind even Bavaria has a party committed to Bavarian independence
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

rkrkrk said:

Sean_F said:

Comfortably?
    Yes, and yes.

Well, Cameron pretended to be a euro sceptic.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,789
    edited March 2017

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

calum said:

Indeed
    As a formerly sovereign state Scotland is in a different position to most other hypothetical examples.
    Italy? Germany?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

calum said:

Indeed
    Rubbish, the separatist movements are few in number and unimportant except to their own national governments, and there are all sorts of ways for the EU to interfere in indyref which would not amount to openly endorsing anything. Their obvious approach, which would succeed, would be whatever increases their empire: anti Scot independence before the leave vote, pro it now, but all conveyed privately and deniably.
  • Options
    calum said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

calum said:

Indeed
    As long as they remain part of EU what's the big problem ?
    The same argument could apply to Catalonia as Spain would be well aware
  • Options
    edited March 2017

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

calum said:

Indeed
    The only precedent it would set is that if a country that is itself a union invokes Article 50, it can expect the EU to be sympathetic towards those parts of the union that wish to remain in the EU.

Catalonia had sovereignty in the 17th century, Bavaria until the 19th century, Flanders until the late 18th century
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

calum said:

Indeed

Not really, Mr. Glenn, Germany and Italy only unified as single states in the late 19th century. Spain fought a civil war, in which regional identity was an issue, within living memory.
  • Options
    Jason said:

midwinter said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Sean_F said:

Comfortably?
    Yes, and yes.

Steady on. IDS wasn't as bad as Corbyn is.
    "Sir, there is no settling the point of precedency between a louse and a flea."
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

calum said:

Comments could be made but a Pandora's box would be opened and Catalonian nationalists would seize on it and Germany would of course have to bear in mind even Bavaria has a party committed to Bavarian independence
    Whose best result in recent elections has been 2% of the vote...

It's odd how on most matters you look at current polling and refuse point blank to acknowledge that circumstances could shift opinion, and in others you make the most wildly implausible claims about huge swings.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

calum said:

Indeed

Not really, Mr. Glenn, Germany and Italy only unified as single states in the late 19th century. Spain fought a civil war, in which regional identity was an issue, within living memory.
    Mr Glenn joins Katy Hopkins in the dunces' corner.....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

The precision is, of course, ridiculous. The thrust of the numbers is interesting, though it seems to me to understate the chance of a shock. @Cyan will be appalled to see that his horse isn't even listed as a starter.

They weren't too far off on the vote margin, which is all that matters for the French election. I wonder if internal US migration might account for a good deal of Trump's victory, specifically rust belt -> Eastern Seaboard/West Coast..
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

calum said:

Indeed
    Rubbish, the separatist movements are few in number and unimportant except to their own national governments, and there are all sorts of ways for the EU to interfere in indyref which would not amount to openly endorsing anything. Their obvious approach, which would succeed, would be whatever increases their empire: anti Scot independence before the leave vote, pro it now, but all conveyed privately and deniably.
    Catalan nationalists already govern Catalonia and very nearly declared UDI from Spain in 2014/15, Flemish nationalists are a major force in Belgium as is the Northern League in Italy and Bavarian nationalists win votes in Bavarian state elections, it would open Pandora's box
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,237
    Sean_F said:

Just an observation....

Relative to what? To a solicitor? To a bin man? To an Uber Driver? This is a job with difficult conditions and unsociable hours, and personal risk. It was enough to drive my friend out as an experienced officer in his mid 40s. He didn't feel it was worth the aggravation any longer.

Public sector pay and conditions are really not that great any more, although I have no doubt all the usual suspects here will demur, keen as they are to quicken the race to the bottom.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    edited March 2017
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited March 2017
    Incident in Antwerp. Somebody attempted to drive into a crowd.

https://twitter.com/bbcbreaking/status/844904691955851264
  • Options
    fitalass said:
    FWIW I sense an earlier suspension would've been critisised by the same folks as giving into terrorists.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Pulpstar said:

They weren't too far off on the vote margin, which is all that matters for the French election. I wonder if internal US migration might account for a good deal of Trump's victory, specifically rust belt -> Eastern Seaboard/West Coast..
    Of course there is now a California secessionist movement too following Trump's win
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608
    HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Sean_F said:

Comfortably?
    Yes, and yes.

It was a horrible choice. One would not stop Blair winning another election. The other would not stop Blair ditching the Pound for the Euro. Ultimately the Tories put country before party and voted to save Sterling rather than their electoral prospects.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

calum said:

Whose best result in recent elections has been 2% of the vote...

It's odd how on most matters you look at current polling and refuse point blank to acknowledge that circumstances could shift opinion, and in others you make the most wildly implausible claims about huge swings.
    UKIP were on 2% just 10 years ago and look what they have done!
  • Options
    I can't help but think the hysteria that's been created by the media in Westminster is hugely irresponsible - this was a lone nutter (not a lone wolf) whose weapons were items anyone of us will probably use today. The coverage this has produced which has been splashed across our screens for 24 hours non-stop is possibly the greatest promotional video IS could ever ask for - these bastards rely on the oxygen of publicity and 24 hours news coverage is delivering it for them - in spades.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

calum said:

Indeed

In what way is it in a different position? The fact that it was independent (a long time ago) is beside the point: it doesn't confer any greater or lesser legitimacy on its aspiration to independence or to its membership of international bodies.

In any case, Bavaria was in independent country much more recently than Scotland, as were - collectively - the pre-1861 Italian kingdoms
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

calum said:

Indeed
    Italy? Germany?
    Mere geographical expressions...
  • Options
    Alistair said:

rkrkrk said:

Sean_F said:

Comfortably?
    Yes, and yes.

Cameron said that he'd withdraw the Conservatives from the EPP. He did so.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

calum said:

Two can play at that game, however.

If hypothetically speaking, the EU were to back the SNP and Sinn Fein, as punishment for Brexit, what would prevent the British government in turn backing Russia's ambitions in Eastern Europe?
    Commonsense !
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

calum said:

Indeed

I'm sure they'll get on like a house on fire.

Screams, running around...

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403

Alistair said:

rkrkrk said:

Sean_F said:

Comfortably?
    Yes, and yes.

Cameron said that he'd withdraw the Conservatives from the EPP. He did so.
    Who could forget the Latvian homophobes? Good times, good times.
  • Options
    Animal_pb said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Sean_F said:

Comfortably?
    Yes, and yes.

It was a horrible choice. One would not stop Blair winning another election. The other would not stop Blair ditching the Pound for the Euro. Ultimately the Tories put country before party and voted to save Sterling rather than their electoral prospects.
    Pretty much sums it up
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2017

Public sector pay and conditions are really not that great any more, ...

The police pension schemes (even the 2015 version) are spectacularly generous compared with the vast majority of private-sector schemes.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Sean_F said:

Comfortably?
    Yes, and yes.

I think that's a complacent view. If Leadsom had had the mettle to ride out the storm over the 'as a mother' interview it's not impossible that she would have won. Mary Berry's case of foot-in-mouth this week shows that it's not an uncommon sentiment in the Tory shires.
    Firstly, she didn't have that mettle, which is a good indication of how things would have gone had she continued. Secondly, that political gaffe was indicative of a lack of ability that would have shown up throughout the campaign. And thirdly, May was massively more popular within the parliamentary party and unlike Labour, Conservative members would be likely to take a lead there (hence the lack of complaining about not being given a vote).

With respect, I don't think think you understand the Conservative membership.
  • Options

I can't help but think the hysteria that's been created by the media in Westminster is hugely irresponsible - this was a lone nutter (not a lone wolf) whose weapons were items anyone of us will probably use today. The coverage this has produced which has been splashed across our screens for 24 hours non-stop is possibly the greatest promotional video IS could ever ask for - these bastards rely on the oxygen of publicity and 24 hours news coverage is delivering it for them - in spades.

I sense IS don't even know his name !
  • Options
    calum said:

fitalass said:
    FWIW I sense an earlier suspension would've been critisised by the same folks as giving into terrorists.
    The Presiding Officer was in a difficult position, for the reasons you outline, certain MSPs on the other hand....

SNP environment secretary Roseanna Cunningham turned in the direction of the Tory benches, jabbing her finger. It is alleged that she hissed: ‘This is because you didn’t want to talk about independence.’ When you orient your politics around demonising Westminster, turning the very name into an epithet, I suppose you will react like that.

Those were the words of a cabinet secretary. If Miss Cunningham remains in post, her barb will carry the imprimatur of the Scottish Government and the First Minister. And Republican Rose will have earned a new nickname: Repugnant Rose.

A real charmer:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/news/708215/boozy-nats-msp-roseanna-cunningham-in-evil-tory-rant/
  • Options
    Analysis in the Guardian, suggesting yesterday's attack is a sign of weakness for the terrorists:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/23/crude-nature-of-attack-suggests-lack-of-isis-network-in-britain?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Tweet
  • Options
    TheKrakenAwakesTheKrakenAwakes Posts: 553
    edited March 2017
    calum said:

I sense IS don't even know his name !
    Indeed - but every would-be bedsit jihadist must be salivating at the prospect of following in his wake
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

calum said:

Indeed

I'm sure they'll get on like a house on fire.

Screams, running around...

Top post!
  • Options
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    Germans commenting admiringly about our phlegmatic response to terror (but also praising the ubiquitous CCTV):

http://cicero.de/weltbuehne/terror-in-london-briten-bleiben-briten
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

calum said:

Indeed

In what way is it in a different position? The fact that it was independent (a long time ago) is beside the point: it doesn't confer any greater or lesser legitimacy on its aspiration to independence or to its membership of international bodies.

In any case, Bavaria was in independent country much more recently than Scotland, as were - collectively - the pre-1861 Italian kingdoms
    The most plausible other independence movement is in Catalonia which clearly does not have a historical parallel with Scotland.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Mortimer said:

FPT:

stodge said:

stodge said:

Mortimer said:

Last night a PB meet next Wednesday evening in central London was mooted. Any more interested? We have about 8 so far...

Wine bar is looking likely....unless SeanT can somehow sign more than 4 of us into the Groucho.... :)

Is the criterion for attendance having voted LEAVE last year ? If so, I could attend.

I suspect my views on the future of "Global Britain" might not chime with the majority.

I'll back you up, Stodge.
    Much appreciated, my friend. We still have the small matter of no venue as apparently every wine bar in London is hosting an A50 party (if we are to believe Dixie who knows all the senior Conservatives and has been invited to all the parties).

How about I book a spot for 10 pax at Truckles in Pied Bull Yard, just off Bury Place, for 6pm Weds 29th.

All those in favour say AYE.....

Works for me.
This discussion has been closed.